Generic name: zolpidem tartrate
Dosage form: tablet, film coated
This dosage information does not include all the information needed to use Ambien safely and effectively. See full prescribing information for Ambien.
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Dosage in Adults
â€‹Use the lowest effective dose for the patient. The recommended initial dose is 5 mg for women and either 5 or 10 mg for men, taken only once per night immediately before bedtime with at least 7–8 hours remaining before the planned time of awakening. If the 5 mg dose is not effective, the dose can be increased to 10 mg. In some patients, the higher morning blood levels following use of the 10 mg dose increase the risk of next day impairment of driving and other activities that require full alertness [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)]. The total dose of Ambien should not exceed 10 mg once daily immediately before bedtime.
â€‹The recommended initial doses for women and men are different because zolpidem clearance is lower in women.
â€‹Elderly or debilitated patients may be especially sensitive to the effects of zolpidem tartrate. Patients with hepatic insufficiency do not clear the drug as rapidly as normal subjects. The recommended dose of Ambien in both of these patient populations is 5 mg once daily immediately before bedtime [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1); Use in Specific Populations (8.5)].
Use with CNS Depressants
â€‹Dosage adjustment may be necessary when Ambien is combined with other CNS depressant drugs because of the potentially additive effects [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
- Ambien Side Effects
- Ambien Drug Interactions
- Ambien (zolpidem) consumer information
- Ambien CR (zolpidem tartrate) tablet, coated dosage information
- Edluar (zolpidem tartrate) sublingual tablets dosage information
- Edluar (zolpidem) consumer information
- Intermezzo (zolpidem tartrate) sublingual tablet dosage information
- Intermezzo (zolpidem) consumer information
- Zolpidem dosage information
- Zolpidem consumer information
- Zolpimist (zolpidem tartrate) oral spray, metered dosage information
- ZolpiMist (zolpidem) consumer information