- A force exerted in opposition to an active force.
- The opposition in a conductor to the passage of a current of electricity, whereby there is a loss of energy and a production of heat; specifically, the potential difference in volts across the conductor per ampere of current flow; unit: ohm.
- The opposition to flow of a fluid through one or more passageways (blood flow, respiratory gases in the tracheobronchial tree), analogous to (2); units are usually those of pressure difference per unit flow.
- In psychoanalysis, one's unconscious defense against bringing repressed thoughts to consciousness.
- The ability of red blood cells to resist hemolysis and to preserve their shape under varying degrees of osmotic pressure in the blood plasma.
- The natural or acquired ability of an organism to maintain its immunity to or to oppose the effects of an antagonistic agent, a toxin, drug, or pathogenic microorganism.
- In endocrinology, a defective target tissue response to a hormone.
Synonym(s): hormone resistance
[L. re-sisto, to stand back, withstand]