- A turning inward, upside down, or in any direction contrary to the existing one.
- Conversion of a disaccharide or polysaccharide by hydrolysis into a monosaccharide; specifically, the hydrolysis of sucrose to d-glucose and d-fructose; so called because of the change in optic rotation.
- Alteration of a DNA molecule made by removing a fragment, reversing its orientation, and putting it back into place.
- Heat-induced transition of silica, in which the quartz tridymite or cristobalite changes its physical properties as to thermal expansion.
- Conversion of a chiral center into its mirror image.
[L. inverto, pp. -versus, to turn upside down, to turn about]
Search Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Examples: glitazone, GI cocktail, etc.