- An instrument for measuring the density of a fluid.
- An instrument for measuring, by virtue of relative turbidity, the growth of bacteria in broth; useful in microbiologic assay of nutrients and antibiotics, phage studies.
- An instrument for measuring the density of components (protein fractions) separated by electrophoresis or chromatography, using light absorption or reflection.
- An electronic instrument for measuring the blackening of radiographic film by x-ray exposure; used for film sensitometry, bone densitometry, measurement of line spread function (microdensitometer).
- An instrument for measuring the extent to which a material absorbs or reflects light.
[L. densitas, density, + G. metron, measure]