- An apparatus for weighing (scales).
- The normal state of action and reaction between two or more parts or organs of the body.
- Quantities, concentrations, and proportionate amounts of bodily constituents.
- The difference between intake and use, storage, or excretion of a substance by the body.
- The act of maintaining an upright posture in standing or locomotion.
- The system that depends on vestibular function, vision, and proprioception to maintain posture, navigate in one's surroundings, coordinate motion of body parts, modulate fine motor control, and initiate the vestibulooculomotor reflexes.
[L. bi-, twice, + lanx, dish, scale]
See Also: equilibrium
Search Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Examples: glitazone, GI cocktail, etc.