Generic Name: polyethylene glycol 3350, electrolytes, and ascorbic acid (Oral route)
pol-ee-ETH-i-leen GLYE-kol 3350, SOE-dee-um SUL-fate, SOE-dee-um KLOR-ide, poe-TAS-ee-um KLOR-ide, as-KORE-bik AS-id, SOE-dee-um a-SKOR-bate
Commonly used brand name(s)
In the U.S.
Available Dosage Forms:
- Powder for Solution
Uses For MoviPrep
The polyethylene glycol (PEG), electrolytes, and ascorbic acid combination is used to cleanse the colon (bowel) before a medical test (eg, colonoscopy).
MoviPrep® is a laxative. It works by causing you to have diarrhea to clean your colon. Cleaning your colon will help your doctor see the inside of your colon more clearly during colonoscopy.
This medicine is available only with your doctor's prescription.
Before Using MoviPrep
In deciding to use a medicine, the risks of taking the medicine must be weighed against the good it will do. This is a decision you and your doctor will make. For this medicine, the following should be considered:
Tell your doctor if you have ever had any unusual or allergic reaction to this medicine or any other medicines. Also tell your health care professional if you have any other types of allergies, such as to foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals. For non-prescription products, read the label or package ingredients carefully.
Appropriate studies have not been performed on the relationship of age to the effects of MoviPrep® in the pediatric population. Safety and efficacy have not been established.
Appropriate studies performed to date have not demonstrated geriatric-specific problems that would limit the usefulness of MoviPrep® in the elderly.
|All Trimesters||C||Animal studies have shown an adverse effect and there are no adequate studies in pregnant women OR no animal studies have been conducted and there are no adequate studies in pregnant women.|
There are no adequate studies in women for determining infant risk when using this medication during breastfeeding. Weigh the potential benefits against the potential risks before taking this medication while breastfeeding.
Interactions with Medicines
Although certain medicines should not be used together at all, in other cases two different medicines may be used together even if an interaction might occur. In these cases, your doctor may want to change the dose, or other precautions may be necessary. When you are taking this medicine, it is especially important that your healthcare professional know if you are taking any of the medicines listed below. The following interactions have been selected on the basis of their potential significance and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Using this medicine with any of the following medicines is not recommended. Your doctor may decide not to treat you with this medication or change some of the other medicines you take.
- Belladonna Alkaloids
Using this medicine with any of the following medicines is usually not recommended, but may be required in some cases. If both medicines are prescribed together, your doctor may change the dose or how often you use one or both of the medicines.
- Enalapril Maleate
Using this medicine with any of the following medicines may cause an increased risk of certain side effects, but using both drugs may be the best treatment for you. If both medicines are prescribed together, your doctor may change the dose or how often you use one or both of the medicines.
Interactions with Food/Tobacco/Alcohol
Certain medicines should not be used at or around the time of eating food or eating certain types of food since interactions may occur. Using alcohol or tobacco with certain medicines may also cause interactions to occur. Discuss with your healthcare professional the use of your medicine with food, alcohol, or tobacco.
Other Medical Problems
The presence of other medical problems may affect the use of this medicine. Make sure you tell your doctor if you have any other medical problems, especially:
- Angina (chest pain), unstable or
- Electrolyte imbalance (eg, low calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium in the blood) or
- Fluid imbalance or
- Heart attack, recent or
- Heart disease (eg, cardiomyopathy) or
- Heart rhythm problems (eg, prolonged QT interval, uncontrolled arrhythmia), history of or
- Withdrawal from alcohol or benzodiazepines (eg, alprazolam, clonazepam, diazepam, lorazepam, Xanax®)—May increase risk for seizures, arrhythmia, or kidney problems.
- Congestive heart failure or
- Dehydration or
- Inflammatory bowel disease or
- Kidney problems or
- Seizures, history of or
- Trouble swallowing or
- Ulcerative colitis, active and severe—Use with caution. May make these conditions worse.
- Gastric retention (problems with emptying of food or fluid from the stomach) or
- Intestinal problems (eg, blockage, ileus, perforation) or
- Toxic colitis or
- Toxic megacolon (a very dilated intestine)—Should not be used in patients with these conditions.
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency—This medicine contains sodium ascorbate and ascorbic acid, which can increase your risk of hemolytic anemia.
- Phenylketonuria—This medicine contains phenylalanine, which can make this condition worse.
Proper Use of MoviPrep
Your doctor may have special instructions for you, depending on the schedule of your colonoscopy you are going to have. If you have not received such instructions, or if you do not understand them, check with your doctor in advance.
Take this medicine exactly as directed. Otherwise, the test you are going to have may not work and may have to be done again.
This medicine comes with a Medication Guide. You must read, understand, and follow these instructions carefully. Ask your doctor if you have any questions.
It is best if you do not eat any solid food before taking this medicine and until after your colonoscopy.
You may drink clear liquids (eg, water, clear fruit juices (without pulp), strained limeade or lemonade, coffee or tea, broth, soda, gelatin, popsicles) before, during, and up until 2 hours before the time of your colonoscopy. Do not drink anything colored red or purple. However, check first with your doctor.
You may have clear soup or plain yogurt for dinner on the evening that you start taking MoviPrep®. Dinner should be at least 1 hour before you take MoviPrep®.
To prepare the medicine:
- The powder must be mixed with water before it is used. Add lukewarm water to the fill mark on the bottle. Do not add any other ingredients, such as flavoring, to the solution.
- Shake well until all the ingredients are dissolved.
- After you mix the solution, you must use it within 24 hours. You may refrigerate the solution before drinking.
- You will need to drink 8 ounces (240 milliliters) of the mixed medicine about every 15 minutes until it is gone.
- About 1 hour after you drink the first glass of liquid, you should have your first loose stool or mild diarrhea. This is how the medicine cleans out your bowels. You may have bloating or an upset stomach before the loose stools start.
- If you cannot swallow the liquid, tell your doctor right away.
You will need to consume 2 liters (about 64 ounces) of the oral solution and one additional liter (about 32 ounces) of clear liquid prior to the test. You may do one of the following ways:
- Split-dose (2-day regimen) method: The night before the test, drink the first liter of oral solution over 1 hour and then drink 0.5 liters (about 16 ounces) of clear liquid. Then, on the morning of the test, drink the second liter of the oral solution over 1 hour and then drink another 0.5 liters of clear liquid at least 2 hours before the test.
- Evening-only (1-day regimen) method: The night (around 6 pm) before the test, drink the first liter of the oral solution over 1 hour. After about 1.5 hours, drink the second liter of the oral solution over one hour. Drink an additional liter of clear liquid the night before the test.
- Do not eat or drink anything 2 hours prior to your colonoscopy, unless your doctor provides you with different instructions.
The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label. The following information includes only the average doses of this medicine. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so.
The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine.
- For oral dosage form (powder for oral solution):
- For cleansing the colon:
- Adults—8 ounces (240 milliliters) every 15 minutes.
- Children—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.
- For cleansing the colon:
Keep out of the reach of children.
Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Ask your healthcare professional how you should dispose of any medicine you do not use.
Store the carton containing the pouches of powder and the liquid for mixing with the powder at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, or light. Once the powder has been mixed with the liquid, refrigerate the mixed solution and use it within 24 hours.
Precautions While Using MoviPrep
It is important that your doctor check you closely for any problems that may be caused by this medicine. Blood and urine tests may be needed to check for unwanted effects.
Contact your doctor right away if you have decreased urination, dizziness, headache, or vomiting. These could be symptoms of a loss of too much body fluid (dehydration).
Do not take any medicine by mouth within 1 hour before taking this medicine.
Do not take other medicines unless they have been discussed with your doctor. This includes prescription or nonprescription (over-the-counter [OTC]) medicines and herbal or vitamin supplements.
MoviPrep Side Effects
Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur:More common
- Full or bloated feeling
- pain in the upper stomach
- pressure in the stomach
- stomach pain
- swelling of abdominal or stomach area
- decreased urine output
- dry mouth
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- increased thirst
- loss of appetite
- muscle pain or cramps
- numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, fingertips, lips, or mouth
- shortness of breath
- swelling of the face, ankles, or hands
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:More common
- Burning, itching, or pain around the anus
- difficulty with sleeping
- feeling unusually cold
- general feeling of discomfort or illness
- Acid or sour stomach
- stomach discomfort or upset
Other side effects not listed may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your healthcare professional.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
The information contained in the Truven Health Micromedex products as delivered by Drugs.com is intended as an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatment. It is not a substitute for a medical exam, nor does it replace the need for services provided by medical professionals. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before taking any prescription or over the counter drugs (including any herbal medicines or supplements) or following any treatment or regimen. Only your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for you.
The use of the Truven Health products is at your sole risk. These products are provided "AS IS" and "as available" for use, without warranties of any kind, either express or implied. Truven Health and Drugs.com make no representation or warranty as to the accuracy, reliability, timeliness, usefulness or completeness of any of the information contained in the products. Additionally, TRUVEN HEALTH MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTIES AS TO THE OPINIONS OR OTHER SERVICE OR DATA YOU MAY ACCESS, DOWNLOAD OR USE AS A RESULT OF USE OF THE THOMSON REUTERS HEALTHCARE PRODUCTS. ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE ARE HEREBY EXCLUDED. Truven Health does not assume any responsibility or risk for your use of the Truven Health products.
Copyright 2016 Truven Health Analytics, Inc. All Rights Reserved.