User Reviews for Zonegran

Learn more about Zonegran.

Migraine Prevention 6 reviews 32 medications

Parkinsonian Tremor 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Zonegran reviews 26 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Zonegran

Review by Seizuregrlll (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Seizures: Zonegran unlike Keppra and other seizure medicines give you a natural feeling closer to a normal feeling. Some seizures still slip by for me but only when it's closer to my menstrual cycle or ovulation time, my seizures seem to be directly linked to fluctionations in my womanly cycles other than that this medicine has been the best one for me and has been a great relief to me.

April 17, 2014 1:15 PM

Review by Childfree91 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Seizures: Been on this medicine for a long time. 10 years. It decreased my seizures a lot and my headaches. Also decreased my appetite and I've lost weight which I have no problem with. Out of all seizure medicines I've been on I highly suggest this one!

January 16, 2014 11:10 AM

Review by What memory:

For Migraine Prevention: I took Topamax for a while and it worked wonders but the side effects were insane. However, the zonesamide works very well for preventing my migraines. I take 400 mg a day. Word finding and memory, I don't even know what those are anymore. However, I was living in constant pain. Nothing was working for me. This is the only thing that has done anything for me in years.

January 12, 2014 1:29 AM

Review by goldilocks46:

For Seizures: I have been taking Topirimate for complex partial seizures following my second sub arachnoid bleed in 2005 but started to lose my hair so I am now taking Zonegran and since changing over I feel very well, and the hair loss seems to be much improved and I am feeling great !

November 25, 2013 4:37 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Seizures: Our daughter is 5 years old and is on Zonegran for epilepsy along with other AED'S she has problems since about a week after starting Zonegran lack of memory and information processing. She is very slow now and has a hard time finding the correct words. She is also very sleepy. at this point we have actually seen a increase in seizure activity.

October 29, 2013 1:13 PM

Review by ringa (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Seizures: Seizures decreased in frequecy. Partial seizures. But there was one day of uncontrollable,uncomfortable side effects or a seizure of a different type. I had trouble organizing thoughts,couldn't come up with certain words,and felt extremely hostile at times. Never want to have those feelings again. They were very strong and uncontronablle.

October 21, 2013 1:32 AM

Review by Emily G.:

For Seizures: I have been taking Zonegran, 300mg/daily for 8 years. I have complex partial seizures that generalize about 90% of the time. I have tried just about every other medication out there and this is the only one that has kept my epilepsy under control. I do have side effects: some depression, anorexia (defined as loss of appetite). I started this medication weighing around 125lbs and now after three children weigh 105lbs and can't remember the last time I was hungry, and I have noticed that it is harder for me to retain information and I sometimes have to read things twice to understand them where before Zonegran I easily understood and retained information. Despite these side effects, I won't ever try a different medication. Totally worth it.

October 9, 2013 12:25 PM

Review by Ridiculousness:

For Seizures: I was on this medicine at first 200mg a day then 400mg. I turned into a completely different person. I'm normally a happy, positive & outgoing young woman. On Zonisamide I became extremely irritable & depressed. I flipped out over the littlest thing. I also lost a lot of weight because my appetite essentially disappeared. I weighed about 135lbs when I started and dropped to 113lbs. I finally had enough when the depression kicked in. I would have suicidal thoughts multiple times a day. It was scary and debilitating! I cried a lot, for no good reason. My performance at work and my relationships were suffering so I called my Dr. and switched to Lamictal.

April 13, 2013 10:40 PM

Review by DGIII (taken for less than 1 month):

For Seizures: Diagnosed- generalized juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. Completely stopped my sons seizures, he is only 14 years old.

March 23, 2013 9:33 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I don't notice any side effects compared to some of the other anti-seizure medicines.

October 25, 2012 5:57 PM

Review by Still Looking:

For Migraine Prevention: I've been taking Zonegran for a few years now at 300mg per day. It had really gotten my headaches under control to where I would only have a headache periodically. Weight loss has been a side effect that I haven't minded. The problem is I've had significant memory and focus issues. I hardly felt competent most of the time. I have slowly weened myself down to 100mgs per day (I notified my neurologist of this because its an anti-seizure medicine so you shouldn't stop it cold turkey or it could cause a seizure). My memory has improved significantly, but the headaches have returned with a vengeance. I'm back to taking narcotics to address each debilitating headache. I used to take Topamax. It too worked beautifully, but also wiped out the memory.

January 4, 2012 5:36 PM

Review by Candler:

For Seizures: Been using this a short while and it apparently works for me.

December 10, 2011 8:20 AM

For Migraine Prevention: On 50 mg and have seen a huge improvement in my migraines. Down to 5 per month.

November 28, 2011 1:23 PM

Review by Sulleninspire:

For Seizures: On maximum dose with Keppra, and still having some break through seizures. Still less then I was having before. No side effects. Had a full term pregnancy while on medication. Baby is very healthy.

July 26, 2011 8:26 PM

Review by steph1010:

For Seizures: I have recently been on Topamax and Keppra..both maxed out. My headaches were worst and my seizures were still happening. My doctor finally switched me to Zonagran 3 months ago. I am seizure free, headaches have been much better and I feel a lot more normal. I do have a low appetite but not to where I can't eat. I love it!

July 4, 2011 10:03 PM

Review by Zonegran User:

For Migraine Prevention: I have used Zonegran for headaches only. It is the only thing that seems to have lessened them somewhat, but I still have headaches and they affect me cognitively. I'm mentally slower, have word-finding problems, my memory is bad, and my attention is terrible. I've tried to go off it on occasion, but my headaches get absolutely awful, so I stay on it.

March 30, 2011 3:42 PM

For Migraine Prevention: I just got put on this medication for migraines. I took Topamax in the past but side effects were way too much for me.

March 19, 2011 8:07 PM

Review by Heather0701:

My Dr. put me on Zonegran for my migraines and I was just wondering if anyone else is on this for just that? I have only been on this for 5 weeks so that is why I was curious.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2011 11:19 PM

Zonegran is my choice. I've been taking it since 2001. I've had no seizures since I started taking it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2011 11:29 PM

For Seizures: The medication wasn't helpful in controlling my seizures. It's been about five months and I have had painful migraines just about every day! One day we'll find one that works!

July 12, 2010 10:52 PM

For Seizures: No seizures while taking but have had bad bruising and constipation going on 2 years now. But I'll take no seizures over the side effects!

July 7, 2010 7:52 PM

Review by ephy:

For Seizures: So far this is my choice of seizure medicines (complex partial and absence). Dilantin makes me sleepy, Tegretol and Topamax both gave me migraines. No seizures AND no headaches, yay! Zonegran does leave me a bit fatigued, and seems to lessen the appetite (but that's not really a bad thing).

October 4, 2009 5:56 PM

Review by Bridgett74:

For Seizures: Going to Zonegran from Trileptal, still waiting for the headaches etc from the Trileptal to go away.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2009 3:26 PM

For Seizures: I've been on this for over 6 months now and seizure free since then. I do have a very mild loss in appetite, but that has not stopped me from eating, only how much I eat. Side effects are the lowest overall from all the other medicines I've been on in the past (Topomax, Triliptal, Depakote & Phenobarbital). Best of all it's only once a day!

September 10, 2009 3:32 PM

For Seizures: Stopped my seizures.

March 30, 2009 11:14 AM