Medication Guide App

7.7
Summary of Ambien reviews 287 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Ambien

Review by deputydawg:

For Insomnia: I am 52 and I had sleep problems from approximately age 33 until age 45 when I started taking Ambien. Somewhere in there I almost got fired for falling asleep at work several times so I asked my doctor for help and he prescribed Ambien and I couldn't feel happier about it. Most nights I take 5 mg and I sleep well. Some nights I have to take 10 mg. I have occasional Ambien amnesia but other than that I have had no side affects. My doctor keeps telling me I need to quit taking it but since he takes it too he keeps writing me scripts. Make sure you don't drink alcohol or take other medicines at the same time and you should be fine. My mom and dad had sleep problems so I know it is hereditary. I love this medicine.

January 11, 2012 1:16 PM

Review by loveambien:

For Insomnia: 55 yrs old, could only sleep one hour at a time, two or three hours per night. Brain dead all day, suicidal due to anxiety issues. Now sleep 5 or 6 hrs per night, I feel almost normal. No side effects, taking 5 mg at bed time, 5 more when I wake up in 3 hrs.

January 1, 2012 10:56 PM

For Insomnia: Sometimes it helped but other times it didn't. I have fibromyalgia though so it could be the pain interfering.

December 18, 2011 3:18 AM

Review by Waulen:

For Insomnia: This medicine is very effective for short-term use. My experience is mostly good however, I do find that it does not work well when I have eaten recently. You must take it on an empty stomach, I believe the Drug Facts say 1 hour without food before taking it. When you take it with food, it sometimes does not absorb or takes longer to absorb. Also, tolerance for me with this medicine goes up quickly so I try to only take it a couple of times a week. I have not experienced any addiction symptoms by doing this. Side Note: A lot of people who take it and report driving significant memory lapses are NOT TAKING IT AS DIRECTED. You only take ONE (1) before bedtime and then you GO TO BED. DON'T take it and go grocery shopping!

December 15, 2011 10:33 PM

For Insomnia: I love my Ambien but I have been taken it for so many years that I have to skip a few nights a week for it to be effective to me. I wonder what would happen if I should not take it ever again and how many sleepless nights and suffering that I would go through without it. I juice all the time with healthy greens and carrots and veges. I am trying to fight the battle all the time. I would like to ween myself off Ambien but am afraid to do so rapidly. If I could use it only a few nights a week then I would be fine.

December 9, 2011 11:58 PM

Review by hscolnik:

For Insomnia: Good for four hours and then I was wide awake and needed another dose to get back to sleep. Good if your only problem is getting to sleep.

November 26, 2011 5:50 AM

For Insomnia: This works great for me sleep-wise, but when I take full 10 mg, I'm incredibly sad/depressed the entire next day, 5 mg doesn't take me throughout the whole night. Any other suggestions.

November 21, 2011 4:31 PM

For Insomnia: I suffer from OCD. Sleep is a luxury. Ambein, is the first medicine I've taken that has offered any relief. I still don't sleep the entire night but 4 hrs is a Dod send. I don't understand why 2 can't be prescribed. I could take the second one upon waking and actually get 8 hrs sleep. I suffer no side effects from it.

November 18, 2011 7:18 PM

For Insomnia: I have been on Ambien for 12 years. I feel Fantastic every day! I take my vitamin supplements..eat pretty healthy keeping sugar and sodium at a minimum, power walk 40 minutes a day at least 5 days per week. Have my blood work done every 4 months. I am 56 years old and between pre and full blown menopause I could not imagine not sleeping 7-8 hours per night. Every case is different but most important is to have a doctor who monitors you keeping a check on your liver and kidney functions. Until I need to make a change I will continue to be thankful for Ambien. Nighty Night.

November 7, 2011 7:23 PM

For Insomnia: I started Ambien when Lunesta did not work for me, and it was effective in helping me sleep. One problem developed, I began getting up in the middle of the night and eating , especially if I thought of something before I dozed off (e.g. the chocolate cake I was saving til tomorrow, etc.). I had to stop when I woke up with a cut on my hand, and realized I had cut up a leftover pork chop to eat. I had no recollection of eating, slicing my hand, or putting the bandage on. I cut down to half dose (5 mg) and the night eating stopped. I wish I could find a substitute, but this really helps me sleep deeply and feel refreshed when I get up in the morning.

November 7, 2011 7:08 PM

Review by Lost time:

For Insomnia: I tried Ambien about a year ago for my inability to stay asleep. I have several times a year where I wake up between 2:30 and 4:30 every morning for a few months at a time. For me, Ambien worked. I slept soundly through the night until my alarm woke me up and I really enjoyed it. I was unaware of my certain side effect until my wife insisted we had a conversation I had no memory of. So I started asking around to people I worked with and sure enough I had quite a few instances where I had full conversations with people the mornings after I used Ambien and had no memory of it. It got to the point where I had to speak to my bosses and ask them if I had any assignments I was not up to date on. Luckily, I was not.

October 30, 2011 11:19 PM

Review by u2me57:

For Insomnia: I've been using Ambien (10mg) for about 2 months and it works great. I suggest going straight to bed after taking it. Also, give yourself 7-8 hours of time to sleep. Ambien knocks me out in 15 minutes and I sleep about 9 hours. Feel great when I wake up. I can't turn my mind off when I go to bed so it has been a big help. I'm 54 and this is the 1st medicine I've taken on a regular basis so I was nervous about taking Ambien at first. It has been great.

October 22, 2011 2:35 AM

Review by bipolar becky:

For Insomnia: I am bipolar and my whole life struggled with getting a good night's sleep. Ambien 10MG worked great for 2 months, then stopped working well unless I chewed the pill and took it with 0.5 Klonopin. Switched to Ambien CR but Ambien CR gives me less sleep - I know it says its supposed to keep you asleep longer and better but regular Ambien would give me 5 hours, wake up for the restroom (drink a lot of water as on lithium for bipolar) and if I take a tiny bite of a 0.5 Klonopin tablet, able to go back to sleep. Doctor gave me trazadone to help me sleep better as Ambien 10MG doesn't knock me out like at first after a few months -- trazodone with Ambien definitely knocked me out for 9 hours -- probably longer but the alarm was set.

October 20, 2011 7:55 PM

Review by Context:

For Insomnia: I've tried several options, over the counter, homeopathic, and prescription in a quest to deal with transient insomnia which typically triggers a worsened depressive mood (kind of a negative feedback loop). Ambien was one of the first I tried. It works very quickly, has very little hangover, but did not always KEEP me asleep. I usually wake around 4. The bad: tolerance, "sleepwalking," waking up in my roommates bed with no memory of how I got there. Be cautious, if you live with other people let them know you're suffering from insomnia and that you are taking this medicine. My roommates reported me seeming completely coherent while sleepwalking%u2014 it can be more problematic than mere "sleepwalking."

October 7, 2011 12:38 AM

Review by HOSINFEFR:

For Insomnia: Last year I came home from work, only to be questioned by my wife as to where I went the night before. To make a long story shorter, I took an ambien to go to sleep; woke up an hour and a half later. I showered, shaved, got dressed, made a phone call and then got in my car and was gone for two hours. I remembered absolutely nothing. The only reason I believed my wife was because I checked my cell phone and I did in fact make a call. The person I called said I sounded insane and hung up on me. The next day I saw a doctor and he said that he sees this happen all the time.

September 27, 2011 9:24 PM

Review by Susie C.:

For Insomnia: I've taken Ambien for insomnia off an on over several years. I love it! Works great mostly. Sometimes I have the side effects not remembering what I had done while on it. My husband says, I always look at my phone and freak out or freak out about my skin, I tell him it looks so strange. I never remember it of course. I still use it. I wake up rested.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2011 1:10 AM

For Insomnia: I don't have the typical insomnia. I can fall asleep (very easily, so easily I've almost considered myself to be slightly narcoleptic). But I can't stay asleep, and I don't fall into that deep sleep that you're supposed to. I wake up several times a night and even though I can fall right back to sleep, if you're not getting "restful sleep" then you're going to be tired. Ambien knocks me out! I take 10 mg. I am a 230lb female so I need the 10mg to sleep for 7 to 8 hours. Sometimes if I am just exhausted I can break it in half and sleep fine. But 10mg is perfect for me. But I am co-dependent on it now. I don't mind it so much. It's nice to know I will be rested after going to bed at 10pm and waking up at 6am.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2011 9:46 PM

Review by scooter1679:

For Insomnia: Gets you to sleep every time. Don't wake up throughout the night. No sleeping pill hangover effect. Never experienced any bad side effects.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2011 4:09 AM

For Insomnia: I haven't had a good night sleep in 20 years. I was in the hospital for spine surgery when they gave AMbien to me to help me sleep. I have tried about every sleeping pill over the counter prescribed but did nothing but Ambien worked great. The only side effect I have had is walking in my sleep. Haven't had anything happen other than waking up on the couch, but feel better and a lot more energy. It is great.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2011 2:18 PM

For Insomnia: It worked great for the first few weeks. I didn't take it every night, just the nights where I was having a hard time falling asleep. The problems stared one night when I was seeing people in my closet and my furniture seemed to be falling on top of my bed. I tired taking it again and I fell right asleep. A week later I began seeing Gummy Bears jumping around my room and on my bed. I went back to my doctor and told her I was seeing things and she said it was common. I stayed on the Ambien, until one night my boyfriend told me that I was sitting up in bed with my eyes open, acting as if I was at work. Typing in the air and I began scratching his skin very hard. I woke up in the morning NOT remembering a single thing. Haven't taken it since then.

September 7, 2011 11:43 AM

Review by bipolar becky:

For Insomnia: For the first time I can get to sleep every night. It usually gives me about 5 hours of sleep, and if I wake up and take about 0.15 Klonopin, I can go back to sleep for another 3 hours. Feel rested for the first time in years! I don't take it until I am absolutely ready to lay down in bed, then lay down and think happy thoughts to carry with me to dream land. Previously, due to bipolar insomnia, I would take tons of Nyquil, Benadryl, Sominex, l-tyrosine, melatonin that only gave me a few hours sleep and I'd wake up and take more pills. For years I couldn't sleep in a bed but would wander through the house at night trying to get comfortable on the floor, etc. as my husband just bumping me would wake me up. I thank you Ambien!

September 7, 2011 10:27 AM

Review by cinsy:

For Insomnia: I have been taking Ambien for about 6 or 7 years. I have been an insomniac since I was a teen. At first I would take my 10 mg and fall asleep in about 25 minutes. I would sleep through most of night but when it was time for alarm to go off to wake up kids and take them to school I would still wake up before the alarm went off, wide awake no groggy feeling at all. After taking it for a year it would take 1 1/2 hours to kick in which I would not remember anything. Then 4 yrs ago our 10yr old daughter died in an accident and Ambien became a God send. I have been able to sleep the last 4yrs away and Ambien has graciously taken my memories during that time so I can make it day by day. I can honestly say without Ambien I would not still be here.

September 6, 2011 3:24 AM

Review by Bonnieplus3:

For Insomnia: I have major insomnia due to other medications I am required to take. Doctor has me taking 30mg of Ambien before bed. It is GREAT for helping me to fall asleep but it does not keep me asleep.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2011 9:46 AM

Review by Pinksugarbaby:

For Insomnia: I have read so many things and do not know what to believe. I have post traumatic stress disorder and have taken sleep aides from the health food store which left me with Vertigo and not feeling well. I have not had any of the usual side effects with Ambien and it leaves me refreshed however I do have one weird side effect and I was not sure at first if it was the Ambien. But it is. I am usually a person who is cold and likes the heat. But I have gotten heat sick several times and living in NYC where there is no air and we are constantly having heat waves it has made me sensitive to heat. I am super sensitive and usually if there is a side effect to be had I get it but really I have not had anything except the heat exhaustion. I mean sweating, etc.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 10, 2011 5:19 PM

Review by SleeplessinMV:

For Insomnia: I've been using Ambien for a of couple months now, only taking it a few times a week when I think I'm going to need a good nights sleep. My sleep issue was that I'd wake up at around 1:30am and not be able to fall back asleep. When I take an Ambien I fall asleep about 45 minutes after taking it, and don't wake up until my alarm comes on. I only use it when I know I'll have trouble sleeping (like Monday Mornings and I've never experienced any weird behaviors like others I've read about.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate