User Reviews for Ambien

7.7
Summary of Ambien reviews 278 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Ambien

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Insomnia: This is the only sleep aid that has ever worked for me. I get a good full night sleep, I wake up refreshed and not groggy. Bless the makers of this medication, you have literally changed my life. I used to sleep 15 to 45 mins a night, now at 6 - 8 hours of sleep. My blood pressure has come down, I no longer battle depression and fatigue, and I am productive at work!

July 3, 2012 7:40 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: It works! It was really weird at first... make sure you are IN BED shortly after you take it or you will be subject to odd behavior/amnesia.

June 29, 2012 10:56 AM

For Insomnia: Works so well, but have been taking it for years. Wish wish wish I could sleep without it. Don't like pills but unable to sleep without it. If you can't sleep, nothing works like this. I've tried everything; herbs, melatonin, Tryptophane, over the counter sleep aids, etc. Nothing else works. Truly an amazing creation.

June 26, 2012 2:00 AM

Review by Traude (taken for 10 years or more):

For Insomnia: I have been taking Ambien since it was released to the public. I only use it occasionally. Sometimes I have a period of several days where going or staying asleep is a problem, then no need for weeks. I have never had any after or side effects from taking Ambien. I feel it is, for me and my condition, the best medication on the market.

June 2, 2012 12:43 PM

For Insomnia: Ambien has been a lifesaver for me. I have had insomnia since I was a teen, and Ambien has been the only medication I have used that works for me. There are plenty of "strange" things that can happen if you try to do things between the time you take the medication and onset. IMPORTANT: If you are going to take Ambien, be IN BED, ready to sleep. It takes effect VERY quickly. Great medication for insomnia!

May 2, 2012 11:01 PM

Review by Michalob:

For Insomnia: This medicine has a very strange effect on me. Within 15 minutes of taking it I start to feel tired but at the same time develop a massive unyielding erection. It's frustrating because the medicine works, I am super tired when I take it but too uncomfortable to sleep.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2012 1:11 AM

Review by Matsi:

For Insomnia: I take Ambien when I need to change my sleeping habits, or when my anxiety induces insomnia. I've had no side effects bad enough for me to remember, although I do get amnesia. I do my best to get right to sleep after taking it because I will do strange things while awake. Otherwise Ambien works perfectly for my needs.

March 8, 2012 12:23 AM

Review by Silentsoft:

For Insomnia: Awesome medicine, not worried about dependency because insomnia, like depression can be chronic. When I take one get the best sleep of my life. Don't, and I can't sleep, much like before I started taking it. As others have said, take it and go DIRECTLY to bed! Do not pass go!

March 4, 2012 2:57 AM

For Insomnia: I have been taking Ambien for about 3 years. I have Anxiety disorder and have had trouble getting to sleep as long as I remember. I worked night shifts because it was easier. After I had kids, I had to become a day person! I had terrible nights of falling asleep at 3-4 am after tossing and turning. I used Benadryl for several years and one night it turned on me, I had anxiety attacks, muscle spasm & ridgidity. My doctor gave me Lexapro, because I had depression at that time as well. I hated it and how numb I always felt. Then he prescribed Ambien. I cut the pill in half. It doesnt knock me out, it just turns my brain to slow and sleepy. I sleep like a baby. I wake very happy and alert. No more depression either.

February 28, 2012 7:10 PM

Review by NickandJane:

For Insomnia: Horrible effects; insomnia, muscle spasm, heart pain, facial pain, skin rashes and acne, low body temperatutre<97 F

February 23, 2012 9:11 AM

For Insomnia: I was having severe insomnia to the point where I was only getting 1-2 hours, at the most, of sleep a night. I started to hallucinate after a few days of this and was prescribed Ambien. It works fast (within 10 minutes after kicking in to fall asleep), but I only sleep 4-5 hours on it and then wake up refreshed. I don't get my full 7-8 hours. Not sure what's up with that. I tried Ambien CR and it took longer to fall asleep on that and I still only got around 4-5 hours of sleep on the CR version. I still use Ambien and it's better than Lunesta which gave me a nasty taste in my mouth and didn't even make me tired. Overall, I recommend Ambien.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 9, 2012 10:06 PM

For Insomnia: I took 5 mg of Ambien for 3 weeks. It was effective but when I stopped I had a terrible time trying to sleep. Check with your doctor and see if phasing out Ambien with lower doses would be recommended.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2012 6:55 PM

Review by But-I-NEED-it:

For Insomnia: Started taking Ambien 5 years ago while I was in nursing school. I would sometimes only get 45 minutes of sleep without it. With it I could easily sleep 8 hours. It worked amazingly well. Now, 5 years later, it seems I have built up quite the tolerance and sometimes need to take 2 just to make me half sleepy. Another problem is my doctor does not like to give me refills as this medicine is meant for short term use. He does refill it, but only after a long lecture every month.

February 1, 2012 12:32 AM

For Insomnia: I cannot take Ambien anymore. Last night I apparently tried to feed the pet python, left the cage open, burned myself on the bed warmer, argued with my girlfriend as she was trying to get me to go back bed and then argued with her again this morning when she told me what I had done. I have no recollection of any of this. I don't even feel very rested this morning, and it's no wonder- I was up all night sleepwalking and doing who knows what. The lights were on, but no one was home.

January 21, 2012 11:01 PM

Review by Gloryrider:

For Insomnia: I started sleep walking on this medicine. My wife found me sitting on the kitchen floor with a bottle of her red wine and I'm told that I asked her if we were in San Francisco Or San Jose. This stopped my 28 years plus of continued sobriety. I was rushed to the hospital by ambulance they thought I might of had a stroke. I didn't. It was an Ambien blackout. I have a very close friend here in San Jose who owns a Recovery home. He told me that his place is filling up with people being pulled over driving around town in their Pajamas while thinking they are home in bed. Ambien might be great for some people, but for folks like me it has evil effects. Please be careful people.

January 19, 2012 9:22 PM

Review by Jaylah:

For Insomnia: I have been taking Ambien for about a year now. I have two sleep problems: I have difficulty falling asleep and 2) when I do manage to fall asleep, I usually wake up about 2 hours later and can't get back to sleep. I haven't noticed Ambien having any effect at all on the first problem. (It's 7:40 am as I write this, and I haven't been to bed yet.) But it does help with the second. When I finally do manage to get to sleep, I usually sleep for a good 7 or 8 hours. Different people respond to this medication in different ways. Be very careful about taking it until you know how it affects you.

January 18, 2012 8:44 AM

Review by deputydawg:

For Insomnia: I am 52 and I had sleep problems from approximately age 33 until age 45 when I started taking Ambien. Somewhere in there I almost got fired for falling asleep at work several times so I asked my doctor for help and he prescribed Ambien and I couldn't feel happier about it. Most nights I take 5 mg and I sleep well. Some nights I have to take 10 mg. I have occasional Ambien amnesia but other than that I have had no side affects. My doctor keeps telling me I need to quit taking it but since he takes it too he keeps writing me scripts. Make sure you don't drink alcohol or take other medicines at the same time and you should be fine. My mom and dad had sleep problems so I know it is hereditary. I love this medicine.

January 11, 2012 1:16 PM

Review by loveambien:

For Insomnia: 55 yrs old, could only sleep one hour at a time, two or three hours per night. Brain dead all day, suicidal due to anxiety issues. Now sleep 5 or 6 hrs per night, I feel almost normal. No side effects, taking 5 mg at bed time, 5 more when I wake up in 3 hrs.

January 1, 2012 10:56 PM

For Insomnia: Sometimes it helped but other times it didn't. I have fibromyalgia though so it could be the pain interfering.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2011 3:18 AM

Review by Waulen:

For Insomnia: This medicine is very effective for short-term use. My experience is mostly good however, I do find that it does not work well when I have eaten recently. You must take it on an empty stomach, I believe the Drug Facts say 1 hour without food before taking it. When you take it with food, it sometimes does not absorb or takes longer to absorb. Also, tolerance for me with this medicine goes up quickly so I try to only take it a couple of times a week. I have not experienced any addiction symptoms by doing this. Side Note: A lot of people who take it and report driving significant memory lapses are NOT TAKING IT AS DIRECTED. You only take ONE (1) before bedtime and then you GO TO BED. DON'T take it and go grocery shopping!

December 15, 2011 10:33 PM

For Insomnia: I love my Ambien but I have been taken it for so many years that I have to skip a few nights a week for it to be effective to me. I wonder what would happen if I should not take it ever again and how many sleepless nights and suffering that I would go through without it. I juice all the time with healthy greens and carrots and veges. I am trying to fight the battle all the time. I would like to ween myself off Ambien but am afraid to do so rapidly. If I could use it only a few nights a week then I would be fine.

December 9, 2011 11:58 PM

Review by hscolnik:

For Insomnia: Good for four hours and then I was wide awake and needed another dose to get back to sleep. Good if your only problem is getting to sleep.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2011 5:50 AM

For Insomnia: This works great for me sleep-wise, but when I take full 10 mg, I'm incredibly sad/depressed the entire next day, 5 mg doesn't take me throughout the whole night. Any other suggestions.

November 21, 2011 4:31 PM

For Insomnia: I suffer from OCD. Sleep is a luxury. Ambein, is the first medicine I've taken that has offered any relief. I still don't sleep the entire night but 4 hrs is a Dod send. I don't understand why 2 can't be prescribed. I could take the second one upon waking and actually get 8 hrs sleep. I suffer no side effects from it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2011 7:18 PM

For Insomnia: I have been on Ambien for 12 years. I feel Fantastic every day! I take my vitamin supplements..eat pretty healthy keeping sugar and sodium at a minimum, power walk 40 minutes a day at least 5 days per week. Have my blood work done every 4 months. I am 56 years old and between pre and full blown menopause I could not imagine not sleeping 7-8 hours per night. Every case is different but most important is to have a doctor who monitors you keeping a check on your liver and kidney functions. Until I need to make a change I will continue to be thankful for Ambien. Nighty Night.

November 7, 2011 7:23 PM