User Reviews for Ambien (Page 9)

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 111 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

"I've been taking Ambien since January 2006 and about 4 weeks ago I began to have issues sleeping only been getting 2-3 hrs a night. I called my psychologist and family doctor about the situation. I was given Lunesta through my family doctor. Tried that for a couple days and couldn't still couldn't sleep. Then I thought it was my Wellbutrin so I went "cold turkey" on that for about a week until I almost had a break down. Then I started taking half of my Wellbutrin and feel a little better. My psychologist just gave me a prescription for the Ambien Cr and only have taken for 2 nights so far. I just want some sleep.. my grades are suffering and so is my job."

runky22 April 5, 2011

"I find that if I take the Ambien and go directly to bed it works very well. If I take it and then delay going to bed by doing dishes or cleaning before bed I have unusual effects. After sleeping for a very short period of time I will get up, go to the kitchen and make waffles. This has happened a handful of times. I'm always surprised to have my family thanking me for taking the trouble for making waffles. Really no trouble since I don't remember any of it."

Lisavawa March 22, 2011

"Best sleep medicine."

hagupachu February 22, 2011

"When you take Ambien make SURE you are in bed. Also, do not drink when you are taking this medicine."

goodoloverboy February 1, 2011

"I am concerned by what I read about many of the side effects but before I took Ambien I never slept well. I have been taking Ambien for about a year and sleeping better (not great). I stopped for two weeks and didn't sleep well at all."

jrmastic January 13, 2011

"I finally found an alternative to Ambien in Silenor. My doctor prescribed me some and so far have been very very happy with the results. Full 7 hours of sleep without waking and the best part.. No daytime drowsiness and no addiction! Finally. It's about time. Silenor where have you been all these years?"

sleepytime4me January 5, 2011

"Periodically, I take Ambien. I have tried other sleep aids, Lunesta, Seroquel and others. However Ambiem is the one sleep prescription that allows me a good nights sleep and wake up without a drugged feeling. I am then ready to 'take on the world'. Ambien is great and I would definitely recommend it."

Bette68 January 3, 2011

"10-20mg prescription for sleep. Took it once, felt nothing after an hour (10mg), took 10 mg more which did the trick. Next thing I was waking up wearing one sock (half way) and nothing else except underpants, shivering: aha! It had been the cold that woke me. Blankets damp. Checking sheets and mattress - relieved to find them dry. At the time I lived in a big house with 5 other college students. I threw on some sweats and found them all gathered waiting for me.I soon learned that I had carried on like a mad man the night before: verbally harassing my house mates before emerging from the bathroom with a water logged roll of toilet paper which I wielded like a sword. It seemed to do the trick. I was kicked out of my house. *( 1 = 3 total)"

JakeLaderle December 24, 2010

"Worked for sleep but I ran out one time and realized I got very, very depressed on it. Plus had joint and jaw pain all the time. Took 2 years to figure out what caused it."

ellenf2002 December 23, 2010

"Worked well for the most part. I found that, on average, once every 7-10 days I become somewhat anxious and agitated (making it hard to sleep) after taking the Ambien. I don't know why it only happened occasionally but it was more common when I took 5 mg rather than 10 mg. In the end I switched to Restoril (temazepam) 30 mg. Dose 5-10 mg at night Age 21 For primary insomnia"

raraider December 22, 2010

"I was prescribed this after suffering from insomnia for several years. Tried OTC sleeping pills which made me feel hyper all night and just a sick overall feeling. Ambien is not for long-term use, as I have learned. Ambien was fantastic the first year I took it. I would look forward to taking it, feeling peaceful, and going to bed. In the past year, I take it, feel sick and hungover-y, and decide to go lay down. I do fall asleep but wake up in the morning feeling sick and with a headache. I have to drag myself out of bed. I know it is from taking Ambien for too long, so I am switching to something else. Was helpful for about a year."

Alibee December 18, 2010

"I have taken Ambien for a few years due to night shift work. I went to a swing shift and now am not working. But after 18 years of night shift I can't get to sleep before 5 or 6 am. I just lay there. I started taking 20mg at bedtime and immediately noticed I was telling my boyfriend things I did not remember. I once got up and put a dozen eggs on to boil and went back to bed. I have a old stove that works sometimes, Thank GOD it did not work. The eggs did not get cooked and no fire. I have been so depressed after I wake up the next day. I just have to stop the Ambien and deal with the sleep problem. My boyfriend has slept on the couch a couple of times because I am trashing around and talking to him."

KAT6754 December 17, 2010

"I've been taking Ambien occasionally for the past 3 weeks following a knee replacement surgery. The Doctor said it is very common to have sleep issues after a knee replacement and sent me home with a script. I have to say I use it 2-3 times a week with no problems. I wake up refreshed and so far no weird side effects."

Chris S. December 12, 2010

"I have only been taking Ambien for 3 months or so. I too have insomnia. I can get to sleep but wake up and can't get back to sleep. My experience with Ambien has been crazy. I have had a phone conversation and made plans to go to lunch with a friend, and when she called the next day to see if we were still on, I had no memory of our conversation. I have cooked scrambled egg/cheese breakfast at 11pm and put it away for breakfast the next day. Last night, however, was the scariest. I vaguely remember sweeping up hair, so I looked in the garbage this morning and was relieved to not find any hair. I passed it off as a dream. Then I took a good look in the mirror, my bangs on the left side are now only 2" long. How embarrassing!"

Anonymous December 7, 2010

"Ambien CR was prescribed to me for long term use after I was only able to get a 3 hours of sleep per night due to insomnia. It did help me get to sleep (took effect within 30 minutes on an empty stomach) and stay asleep. However, it also makes things seem 3D that aren't (like text on a computer screen), and gives an overall "trippy" feeling. Ambien CR also has a rather strong hangover effect that can last awhile (up to 12 hours from the time it was taken.) "

harvardguy December 5, 2010

"Was on Ambien for almost 3 years because of insomnia due to overnight shift, fibromyalgia and depression that got really bad the last 5 months. Started with 5 mg 2-3 days a week and it worked really fast. I would have to be in bed in 5 minutes after I took it otherwise I would start having weird hallucinations but that was a sign for me to jump in bed and I would sleep fine. But had to go up as I build up tolerance and the last couple of months had to take 2-3 10 mg pills and would wake up 2-3 hours later and needed to take another one to get more sleep, again I would only get 2 hours. Obviously it stopped working so tonight I go the first time in about a year without it and so far I haven't been able to sleep in yet, been up for 26 hours."

Anonymous December 3, 2010

"Improved my ability to get to sleep but I stopped taking it because of strange side effects at night....nightmares, talking in my sleep, slugging the headboard of the bed, falling/diving out of bed during a fight dream, having conversations with my wife that I would have no memory of the next day. Doctor decided to take me off Ambien today and try something else."

Anonymous December 2, 2010

"At first I could take one 10mg and be knocked out in 20 mins but after being used to it I took 50mg one night and all I got was nausea. So it was GREAT at first better than anything else but now it has lost all effect."

oxyaaron November 29, 2010

"I rated it a 3 overall for ME. It'a a 10 and worked great for falling asleep, but I had the sleep walk issues too. I read many comments about the sleep walking, cooking etc. I also did this along with other crazy things. I'm fortunate I didn't hurt myself or someone else. I live alone and my point is DO NOT take this without someone else in your home."

robert roup November 20, 2010

"I have been taking first Ambien and then Ambien CR for many years. I have had major difficulty in falling asleep and staying asleep. Although both medications work, I cannot function typically the day after. Furthermore, both need to be taken right before bedtime and no sooner. Amnesia and sleepwalking were major issues to the point where my doctor told me to stop taking both. My physician offered Silenor as an alternative. He told me I could take this everyday and although I didn't really need to, no addiction potential for Silenor. Also, none of those nasty side effects like amnesia and sleepwalking. I can remember going to sleep, staying asleep, and waking up without feeling sluggish. Silenor has been good to me."

Anonymous November 17, 2010

"I took Ambien for years and it helped me sleep, at first. Then, instead of sleeping I would walk around without any memory of it. I gained weight from eating without any memory. I think Ambien could be great for occasional insomnia but I don't recommend it for long term use."

Anonymous October 29, 2010

"Ambien works great when taken as directed. IT IS NOT INTENDED FOR LONG TERM, EVERY DAY USE. I have used 3 refills which have lasted me a year, although I was authorized 6 refills in that time.. I am very upfront with my doctor and tell him that occasionally, (due to working Midnight to 8), my sleep gets thrown off, so I take ONE, WHEN NEEDED. If your sleep disorder is to the point that you feel you need it everyday, you and your doctor should probably look at an alternative. Yes, your body can and will become dependent on it, if for nothing else, to sleep. It can be an awesome medication, when used properly, occasionally and conservatively."

IrishCop October 27, 2010

"After the birth of my child, I had a difficult time sleeping. The tireder I got the less I could sleep. My OB gave me Ambien to help me get sleep. At first I was concerned but I hadn't slept in days so my husband promised to listen for the baby. I have to say, without this medicine, I would never have made it through my insomnia. I would advise that if you take this drug, you let a loved one know so they can look out for you. I have tried to do a few stupid things while on this drug, like put stupid things on facebook and emailing people stupid things. Each time, my husband stopped me......YOU CANNOT USE THIS MEDICINE WITHOUT A WING MAN!"

kfpowell October 24, 2010

"Ambien does not do a thing for me. I started taking 10mg before bed and worked up to taking it 5 or 6 hours before bed without any change. I even tried taking 10mg in the afternoon and 10mg in the evening and still no help with sleep."

Anonymous October 21, 2010

"I have been taking Ambien for 2 years now for insomnia and trouble sleeping. It does make you tired, but you also feel really good and happy. I would take it and an hour later, not remember anything. Also, I would still wake up every hour. It helped me fall asleep, but not stay asleep. Recently, I over dosed on Ambien. That is what really woke me up. This is not for me. I have been prescribed Seroquel for my sleeping problems and this is wonderful. I have no more sleepwalking and I remember everything."

Insomnia13 October 20, 2010