User Reviews for Ambien

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

This drug helped me stay sleep and get to sleep but the after effects were horrible. I felt sleepy for about 8 hours after waking up.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2009 2:26 PM

Review by jackson6776:

Nocturemia - After 20 years of getting up every hour and a 1/2 to urinate, I am now able to sleep for 6 hours without waking. This has changed my Life.

September 16, 2009 8:36 AM

I took only a small amount, like 1/4 of a pill and within 15 minutes I was asleep. I did this for 3 nights, well this morning I woke up feeling fine. After a while I felt dizzy and was dizzy all day, felt horrible, chest was tight and I have asthma. So if you have asthma be careful, also gave me anxiety. My husband takes this and he does fine.

September 11, 2009 11:54 PM

It is fantastic that it wears off so quickly - no residual tiredness in the morning like other sleep-aids. I do wish it lasted longer. It really only keeps you asleep for ~4 hours. I guess that's what Ambien CR is for.

September 11, 2009 12:55 PM

Review by pablo1:

I love Ambien - it slows my racing, worried mind and lets me sleep through the night. I just take 5 mg tablet and that works great. I am a Type 1 diabetic for 43 years, and notice no side effects.

September 10, 2009 8:10 PM

Review by snoozy:

Ambien is great for insomnia after years of not sleeping. Although I have experienced some mild hallucinations and have gotten up and moved things around in the dark inside my bedroom, while talking to someone I thought was there, but the sleep is worth the risk. I was miserable for to long.

September 10, 2009 4:33 PM

Review by COOT:

Ambium has helped me to sleep after a bitter divorce

September 7, 2009 8:07 AM

Review by orangelady:

For many years, I had no problems falling asleep but after 4 hours would wake again, wide awake, mind racing, etc. I finally asked my doctor to prescribe Ambien and paid extra to get it. It was worth every penny. I found a whole tablet taken at bedtime still only let me sleep 4-5 hours. I had been told I might need to take another tablet if I woke too early, but didn't want to do that. So now, I don't take Ambien at night when I go to sleep. I take 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet when I wake up at 2 or 3 a.m. It works like a charm; I sleep another three or four hours. For me, 2.5 mg works just as well as 5 mg. Great sleep and I've never had sleep amnesia.

September 4, 2009 7:29 PM

Review by mslboley:

I have been reading these reviews and cracking up laughing. It is true you do some crazy things while taking this medication but guess what? You are sleep. So it does what it says it does. I love it but wish I could just go to sleep without it. I've tried them all and my mind just keeps on racing all night. Ambien is the only one that stops it, if I don't eat before I take it.

August 28, 2009 7:23 PM

Review by dnab:

Ambien is awesome. Take it and wait 15 minutes. Sleep and thats all. It's great. If you can afford it Ambien CR is a lot better.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2009 4:54 AM

Took Ambien CR for the 1st time last night. It took me about 20 minutes to fall asleep, but I did wake up twice during the night and was able to go right back to sleep. I was expecting a full nights sleep without waking up.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2009 12:21 PM

Review by athena02:

It works well for a few days, then your body builds a tolerance to it, so you have to take 2 then 3. Sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night wide awake.

August 18, 2009 8:58 AM

Review by phelicity9:

First night on Ambien and as you can see I'm awake and it's the second time this night. Woke because of vivid dreams. Going to head back to bed in hopes that I will sleep through the night.

August 9, 2009 4:02 AM

Pros: Onset in 6 minutes, Perfect sleep (feel more rested despite sleeping for less time), Absolutely no physiological side effects Cons: Blurred vision, Problems with coordination, Profoundly altered mind, (confusion, delusions, hallucination) Retrograde Amnesia (complete blackout for duration) Powerful, incredibly effective sleep aid, with very few interactions or physical side effects. Solved my sleep problems 100%. Be careful when, how, and around who you use this drug. You might wake up in the morning and find you've called people, written or drawn things, etc, without any recollection.

August 4, 2009 2:14 AM

Review by AlanW:

I took Ambien for a couple of nights, great drug, really works, slept like a baby deeply. Felt drugged the next day but I'm very sensitive to these feelings. Then I decided to not take it again, and had "rebound insomnia" the first night, that was last night. Today I feel very tired after getting maybe 1 or 2 hours of sleep last night. I'm going to try everything I know to get a good nights sleep tonight. Usually I do not need any sleep aids at all. Only took it recently because my sleep got messed up after a travel and being in a difficult place to sleep.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 30, 2009 10:41 PM

Review by Darden:

I have trouble staying asleep. I wake every night anywhere from between 12:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. and am up for the rest of the night. This medicine helped me sleep, but also made me very depressed. It made me very angry and upset most of the time. I took this for about 3 months, until I got to the point that there was something very wrong with me and it was the medicine.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 27, 2009 4:52 PM

Review by Curbby:

I am on Ambien and feel great.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2009 7:05 AM

Review by Just Looney:

I had taken Ambien for a time with such a wonderful sleep-as never before...NO dreams or thoughts or waking. The military only pays for generic now, and doesn't matter which brand I get (which has to be pharmacy formulary or contract) it does not work at all like Ambien. I even have nightmares.

June 19, 2009 5:52 PM

Review by PabloBlanco:

I've suffered from insomnia since college and would struggle some nights to get 2 hours of sleep. I would get tired, but as soon as I lay down to sleep, I would stare at the ceiling for hours unable to fall asleep and when I did I would not stay asleep. My doctor prescribed me Ambien to try and help with my insomnia. In my particular case, Ambien has worked very well. I'll take it and within 30-40 minutes it will put me to sleep. There are still occasional nights where I'll take Ambien and still not be able to sleep, but most of the time it works very well.

June 17, 2009 2:03 PM

Review by Old Nance:

I have taken Ambien for about 7 years with no side effects.

May 30, 2009 2:36 AM

Review by JBIRD724:

Had sleep problems since College (43 years old now). Took all the normal heavy duty sleep medicines like Valium and even Benadryl. These only put me in a half sleep state and made me feel horrible for days on in. After 20 years of suffering from insomnia and after a bout with meningitis in 2000 my friend, a neurologist who was seeing me for post meningitis asked me how I was sleeping. I told her I haven't had a good nights sleep in over 20 years. She wrote a script for Ambien. I have never been so in love with a pill in my life as I am with Ambien. I fall asleep within 15 minutes, get a good 7 hours hard sleep and wake up bright and early and feel rested like I have not felt in decades. Ambien is a miracle drug and thanks to the genius who made it.

167 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 9, 2009 5:52 PM

Review by tainted skyy:

I haven't been able to fall asleep until after 2 or 3am for about a year, even if I was extremely tired I would just lie in bed for hours. I would be lucky if I got 3-5 hours of sleep a night. My doctor prescribed me Ambien 2 weeks ago. I've been getting the best sleep ever. I even wake up after 6-8 hours fully refreshed and awake. I'm just happy to be getting a normal sleep. This really works. I have no stories of waking up in the middle of the night doing odd things.

May 6, 2009 11:23 PM

Review by janangela:

I have been using Ambien for several years. I take it quite often. I have always had sleep problems and have found that with use of Ambien I sleep on a regular schedule, and do not have to sleep during the day because I was up most of the night before. Overall, I have found Ambien to be a real help to my overall well-being and general health. The problem I am concerned about is: More than two years ago I had a couple of situations where I got up in the night and ate sandwiches, potato chips, and one time made a bloody mary and drank it without any recollection the next day. Recently, I got up in the night and wrote bizarre emails to several people.

May 4, 2009 4:00 PM

Didn't work at all. Couldn't fall asleep. I took 4 x 20mg by the 5th day, nothing happened at all.

April 29, 2009 11:40 PM

Ambien is a great sleep aid. I used to take the 10mg dose and did great. I was able to fall asleep fast and stay asleep through the night. There are some side effects to this medication though. For example: The first time I took Ambien I had no side effects. I slept soundly through the night, no problems at all. After a few nights of taking it though I started to wake up in the morning and see that my furniture had been moved around or that my fridge door was open. I could not figure out what had happened until I asked my doctor. Supposedly when taking any hypnotic, it can cause you to sleep walk, or do things in your sleep that when you wake up you have no memory of ever doing. Overall though, it does what it's supposed to do.

April 26, 2009 2:35 AM