User Reviews for Ambien

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 74 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

Review by orangelady: User Rating:

For many years, I had no problems falling asleep but after 4 hours would wake again, wide awake, mind racing, etc. I finally asked my doctor to prescribe Ambien and paid extra to get it. It was worth every penny. I found a whole tablet taken at bedtime still only let me sleep 4-5 hours. I had been told I might need to take another tablet if I woke too early, but didn't want to do that. So now, I don't take Ambien at night when I go to sleep. I take 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet when I wake up at 2 or 3 a.m. It works like a charm; I sleep another three or four hours. For me, 2.5 mg works just as well as 5 mg. Great sleep and I've never had sleep amnesia.

September 4, 2009 7:29 PM
Review by mslboley: User Rating:

I have been reading these reviews and cracking up laughing. It is true you do some crazy things while taking this medication but guess what? You are sleep. So it does what it says it does. I love it but wish I could just go to sleep without it. I've tried them all and my mind just keeps on racing all night. Ambien is the only one that stops it, if I don't eat before I take it.

August 28, 2009 7:23 PM
Review by dnab: User Rating:

Ambien is awesome. Take it and wait 15 minutes. Sleep and thats all. It's great. If you can afford it Ambien CR is a lot better.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 23, 2009 4:54 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Took Ambien CR for the 1st time last night. It took me about 20 minutes to fall asleep, but I did wake up twice during the night and was able to go right back to sleep. I was expecting a full nights sleep without waking up.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 20, 2009 12:21 PM
Review by athena02: User Rating:

It works well for a few days, then your body builds a tolerance to it, so you have to take 2 then 3. Sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night wide awake.

August 18, 2009 8:58 AM
Review by phelicity9: User Rating:

First night on Ambien and as you can see I'm awake and it's the second time this night. Woke because of vivid dreams. Going to head back to bed in hopes that I will sleep through the night.

August 9, 2009 4:02 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Pros: Onset in 6 minutes, Perfect sleep (feel more rested despite sleeping for less time), Absolutely no physiological side effects Cons: Blurred vision, Problems with coordination, Profoundly altered mind, (confusion, delusions, hallucination) Retrograde Amnesia (complete blackout for duration) Powerful, incredibly effective sleep aid, with very few interactions or physical side effects. Solved my sleep problems 100%. Be careful when, how, and around who you use this drug. You might wake up in the morning and find you've called people, written or drawn things, etc, without any recollection.

August 4, 2009 2:14 AM
Review by AlanW: User Rating:

I took Ambien for a couple of nights, great drug, really works, slept like a baby deeply. Felt drugged the next day but I'm very sensitive to these feelings. Then I decided to not take it again, and had "rebound insomnia" the first night, that was last night. Today I feel very tired after getting maybe 1 or 2 hours of sleep last night. I'm going to try everything I know to get a good nights sleep tonight. Usually I do not need any sleep aids at all. Only took it recently because my sleep got messed up after a travel and being in a difficult place to sleep.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 30, 2009 10:41 PM
Review by Darden: User Rating:

I have trouble staying asleep. I wake every night anywhere from between 12:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. and am up for the rest of the night. This medicine helped me sleep, but also made me very depressed. It made me very angry and upset most of the time. I took this for about 3 months, until I got to the point that there was something very wrong with me and it was the medicine.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 27, 2009 4:52 PM
Review by Curbby: User Rating:

I am on Ambien and feel great.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 11, 2009 7:05 AM
Review by Just Looney:

I had taken Ambien for a time with such a wonderful sleep-as never before...NO dreams or thoughts or waking. The military only pays for generic now, and doesn't matter which brand I get (which has to be pharmacy formulary or contract) it does not work at all like Ambien. I even have nightmares.

June 19, 2009 5:52 PM
Review by PabloBlanco: User Rating:

I've suffered from insomnia since college and would struggle some nights to get 2 hours of sleep. I would get tired, but as soon as I lay down to sleep, I would stare at the ceiling for hours unable to fall asleep and when I did I would not stay asleep. My doctor prescribed me Ambien to try and help with my insomnia. In my particular case, Ambien has worked very well. I'll take it and within 30-40 minutes it will put me to sleep. There are still occasional nights where I'll take Ambien and still not be able to sleep, but most of the time it works very well.

June 17, 2009 2:03 PM
Review by Old Nance: User Rating:

I have taken Ambien for about 7 years with no side effects.

May 30, 2009 2:36 AM
Review by JBIRD724: User Rating:

Had sleep problems since College (43 years old now). Took all the normal heavy duty sleep medicines like Valium and even Benadryl. These only put me in a half sleep state and made me feel horrible for days on in. After 20 years of suffering from insomnia and after a bout with meningitis in 2000 my friend, a neurologist who was seeing me for post meningitis asked me how I was sleeping. I told her I haven't had a good nights sleep in over 20 years. She wrote a script for Ambien. I have never been so in love with a pill in my life as I am with Ambien. I fall asleep within 15 minutes, get a good 7 hours hard sleep and wake up bright and early and feel rested like I have not felt in decades. Ambien is a miracle drug and thanks to the genius who made it.

166 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 9, 2009 5:52 PM
Review by tainted skyy: User Rating:

I haven't been able to fall asleep until after 2 or 3am for about a year, even if I was extremely tired I would just lie in bed for hours. I would be lucky if I got 3-5 hours of sleep a night. My doctor prescribed me Ambien 2 weeks ago. I've been getting the best sleep ever. I even wake up after 6-8 hours fully refreshed and awake. I'm just happy to be getting a normal sleep. This really works. I have no stories of waking up in the middle of the night doing odd things.

May 6, 2009 11:23 PM
Review by janangela:

I have been using Ambien for several years. I take it quite often. I have always had sleep problems and have found that with use of Ambien I sleep on a regular schedule, and do not have to sleep during the day because I was up most of the night before. Overall, I have found Ambien to be a real help to my overall well-being and general health. The problem I am concerned about is: More than two years ago I had a couple of situations where I got up in the night and ate sandwiches, potato chips, and one time made a bloody mary and drank it without any recollection the next day. Recently, I got up in the night and wrote bizarre emails to several people.

May 4, 2009 4:00 PM

Didn't work at all. Couldn't fall asleep. I took 4 x 20mg by the 5th day, nothing happened at all.

April 29, 2009 11:40 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ambien is a great sleep aid. I used to take the 10mg dose and did great. I was able to fall asleep fast and stay asleep through the night. There are some side effects to this medication though. For example: The first time I took Ambien I had no side effects. I slept soundly through the night, no problems at all. After a few nights of taking it though I started to wake up in the morning and see that my furniture had been moved around or that my fridge door was open. I could not figure out what had happened until I asked my doctor. Supposedly when taking any hypnotic, it can cause you to sleep walk, or do things in your sleep that when you wake up you have no memory of ever doing. Overall though, it does what it's supposed to do.

April 26, 2009 2:35 AM
Review by michael.belt: User Rating:

I'm a college student with sleep onset insomnia. Before Ambien I was taking 6 over-the-counter sleep pills a night with unhappy results. The fact is, Ambien works. I've been on it for a few months now, and I can tell that I need it EVERY night, and I am beginning to need more so I take the occasional 2nd pill. I wish there was another way. If there is a situation in which you need a short time sleep medicine, this is it. But this is not something to live your life dependent on, which is the case with most cases of insomnia.

April 15, 2009 11:28 PM
Review by Laughing Gull: User Rating:

Zolpidem worked well at the 5mg dose for about 3 or 4 nights. Then I noticed my lips were dry, mildly cracked, and tender. Gradually I noticed that the tip of my tongue felt as though it had been burnt. I ignored that as I drink hot coffee. On the 4th day I used a Listerine-like mouthwash; the result was an immediate and severe reaction: the inside of my mouth became bright red and swollen. My face broke out in scattered red spots or streaks. Once I had spat out the mouthwash and the pain had gone down, I noticed that my eyes, or the tissue around my eyes, also felt dry and sore. Two days later, the reaction is gradually clearing.

April 10, 2009 10:19 AM
Review by Ambien FAN: User Rating:

The thing I love most about Ambien is that I can still wake up and function if I need to, and then fall back to sleep. I have three kids, and if one of them wants a glass of water in the middle of the night or falls out of bed, I'm perfectly functional to take care of them, even on Ambien. I sleep great now, but everyone should try to wait until they get into the bed prior to taking the pill. Fortunately, my worst Ambien-induced amnesia stories are waking up and thinking "I wonder who did the dishes?"

April 7, 2009 5:33 PM

This is the best medicine I have ever taken.

April 6, 2009 7:03 PM
Review by Cowgirl13:

I have insomnia and chronic pain. Ambien helps me sleep for 8 hours a night. If I didn't take it, my back pain would drive me out of bed. I agree with everyone's thought that you should take it after you're in bed. Otherwise, I black out and raid the refrigerator or talk on the phone. The next day, I don't remember doing those things.

April 1, 2009 12:06 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Took ambien, slept for two hours, woke up and vomited for 7 hours and felt terrible all day.

March 30, 2009 2:53 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I build tolerance to any medication really quickly, so I will be able to use 10 mg of regular Ambien for maybe a month, then my doctor would up it to 20mg for the next month, and following that he would give me Ambien CR for the 3rd month, and then basically start all over again. I have tried nearly every single other sleep aid available by prescription and non prescription and Ambien has been the only one which works for me.

March 28, 2009 12:06 PM