User Reviews for Ambien (Page 9)

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

"I have taken Ambien for a few years due to night shift work. I went to a swing shift and now am not working. But after 18 years of night shift I can't get to sleep before 5 or 6 am. I just lay there. I started taking 20mg at bedtime and immediately noticed I was telling my boyfriend things I did not remember. I once got up and put a dozen eggs on to boil and went back to bed. I have a old stove that works sometimes, Thank GOD it did not work. The eggs did not get cooked and no fire. I have been so depressed after I wake up the next day. I just have to stop the Ambien and deal with the sleep problem. My boyfriend has slept on the couch a couple of times because I am trashing around and talking to him."

KAT6754 December 17, 2010

"I've been taking Ambien occasionally for the past 3 weeks following a knee replacement surgery. The Doctor said it is very common to have sleep issues after a knee replacement and sent me home with a script. I have to say I use it 2-3 times a week with no problems. I wake up refreshed and so far no weird side effects."

Chris S. December 12, 2010

"I have only been taking Ambien for 3 months or so. I too have insomnia. I can get to sleep but wake up and can't get back to sleep. My experience with Ambien has been crazy. I have had a phone conversation and made plans to go to lunch with a friend, and when she called the next day to see if we were still on, I had no memory of our conversation. I have cooked scrambled egg/cheese breakfast at 11pm and put it away for breakfast the next day. Last night, however, was the scariest. I vaguely remember sweeping up hair, so I looked in the garbage this morning and was relieved to not find any hair. I passed it off as a dream. Then I took a good look in the mirror, my bangs on the left side are now only 2" long. How embarrassing!"

Anonymous December 7, 2010

"Ambien CR was prescribed to me for long term use after I was only able to get a 3 hours of sleep per night due to insomnia. It did help me get to sleep (took effect within 30 minutes on an empty stomach) and stay asleep. However, it also makes things seem 3D that aren't (like text on a computer screen), and gives an overall "trippy" feeling. Ambien CR also has a rather strong hangover effect that can last awhile (up to 12 hours from the time it was taken.) "

harvardguy December 5, 2010

"Was on Ambien for almost 3 years because of insomnia due to overnight shift, fibromyalgia and depression that got really bad the last 5 months. Started with 5 mg 2-3 days a week and it worked really fast. I would have to be in bed in 5 minutes after I took it otherwise I would start having weird hallucinations but that was a sign for me to jump in bed and I would sleep fine. But had to go up as I build up tolerance and the last couple of months had to take 2-3 10 mg pills and would wake up 2-3 hours later and needed to take another one to get more sleep, again I would only get 2 hours. Obviously it stopped working so tonight I go the first time in about a year without it and so far I haven't been able to sleep in yet, been up for 26 hours."

Anonymous December 3, 2010

"Improved my ability to get to sleep but I stopped taking it because of strange side effects at night....nightmares, talking in my sleep, slugging the headboard of the bed, falling/diving out of bed during a fight dream, having conversations with my wife that I would have no memory of the next day. Doctor decided to take me off Ambien today and try something else."

Anonymous December 2, 2010

"At first I could take one 10mg and be knocked out in 20 mins but after being used to it I took 50mg one night and all I got was nausea. So it was GREAT at first better than anything else but now it has lost all effect."

oxyaaron November 29, 2010

"I rated it a 3 overall for ME. It'a a 10 and worked great for falling asleep, but I had the sleep walk issues too. I read many comments about the sleep walking, cooking etc. I also did this along with other crazy things. I'm fortunate I didn't hurt myself or someone else. I live alone and my point is DO NOT take this without someone else in your home."

robert roup November 20, 2010

"I have been taking first Ambien and then Ambien CR for many years. I have had major difficulty in falling asleep and staying asleep. Although both medications work, I cannot function typically the day after. Furthermore, both need to be taken right before bedtime and no sooner. Amnesia and sleepwalking were major issues to the point where my doctor told me to stop taking both. My physician offered Silenor as an alternative. He told me I could take this everyday and although I didn't really need to, no addiction potential for Silenor. Also, none of those nasty side effects like amnesia and sleepwalking. I can remember going to sleep, staying asleep, and waking up without feeling sluggish. Silenor has been good to me."

Anonymous November 17, 2010

"I took Ambien for years and it helped me sleep, at first. Then, instead of sleeping I would walk around without any memory of it. I gained weight from eating without any memory. I think Ambien could be great for occasional insomnia but I don't recommend it for long term use."

Anonymous October 29, 2010

"Ambien works great when taken as directed. IT IS NOT INTENDED FOR LONG TERM, EVERY DAY USE. I have used 3 refills which have lasted me a year, although I was authorized 6 refills in that time.. I am very upfront with my doctor and tell him that occasionally, (due to working Midnight to 8), my sleep gets thrown off, so I take ONE, WHEN NEEDED. If your sleep disorder is to the point that you feel you need it everyday, you and your doctor should probably look at an alternative. Yes, your body can and will become dependent on it, if for nothing else, to sleep. It can be an awesome medication, when used properly, occasionally and conservatively."

IrishCop October 27, 2010

"After the birth of my child, I had a difficult time sleeping. The tireder I got the less I could sleep. My OB gave me Ambien to help me get sleep. At first I was concerned but I hadn't slept in days so my husband promised to listen for the baby. I have to say, without this medicine, I would never have made it through my insomnia. I would advise that if you take this drug, you let a loved one know so they can look out for you. I have tried to do a few stupid things while on this drug, like put stupid things on facebook and emailing people stupid things. Each time, my husband stopped me......YOU CANNOT USE THIS MEDICINE WITHOUT A WING MAN!"

kfpowell October 24, 2010

"Ambien does not do a thing for me. I started taking 10mg before bed and worked up to taking it 5 or 6 hours before bed without any change. I even tried taking 10mg in the afternoon and 10mg in the evening and still no help with sleep."

Anonymous October 21, 2010

"I have been taking Ambien for 2 years now for insomnia and trouble sleeping. It does make you tired, but you also feel really good and happy. I would take it and an hour later, not remember anything. Also, I would still wake up every hour. It helped me fall asleep, but not stay asleep. Recently, I over dosed on Ambien. That is what really woke me up. This is not for me. I have been prescribed Seroquel for my sleeping problems and this is wonderful. I have no more sleepwalking and I remember everything."

Insomnia13 October 20, 2010

"I am a young woman who never had issues falling asleep, but as I was planning my wedding and the stress of work, I was having a hard time. I was really nervous to take Ambien at first because of the negative reviews, but my experience has only been positive. I fall asleep within a few minutes and stay asleep, but I don't find myself in too much of deep sleep that I couldn't wake up in case of an emergency. It really changed my mindset on medication and sleeping aids in general. I would recommend it to anyone."

willy2313 October 18, 2010

"I started taking Ambien for insomnia about a month ago. It works great if I am able to take it early enough to get in 8 hours of sleep...however...I also take Wellbutrin and apparently they do not work well together. I have been sleep eating, sundaes, brownies, yogurt, sandwiches. I also cook and leave the mess behind and don't remember ANY OF IT. I colored my hair with two colors, and gave myself the worst haircut I've ever had in my life and was totally shocked the next morning when I saw the bright pink color in my hair and awful short bangs and uneven length. I had a conversation with my daughter and gave her permission to spend the night out which I would NOT have done in my right mind and she made me write it down for proof!"

Roseknight October 14, 2010

"Ambien is absolutely great, a miracle. Calms the mind. I suffer from severe anxiety, sometimes panic attacks. I'll take them during the day and the panic and anxiety just melts away. Fantastic for many psychological disorders but best for sleeping. Take on an empty stomach or you wont get the full effect."

SMONS October 12, 2010

"When I was in the service I had a few bouts with sleep problems only 3 times in 8 years. I was put on Ambien for 2 weeks at a time. Eventually it would wear off I'd go back to "dealing with it" Then for a few years I self medicated with whiskey. No big dramatic story but that had to stop. When I got out I didn't even try to claim compensation for it with the VA but they gave me a insomnia comp. Since then I receive my pills in the mail. I have never had a negative side effect. No sleep walking, talking, driving. It works better on an empty stomach though. I've woken up at night on it before but I normally fall right back to sleep. I wake up feeling like I got that perfect amount of sleep and so refreshed. It has given me my life back."

Anonymous October 11, 2010

"I took two Ambien and according to my family, came down stairs, greeted them all like I never seen them before. Then went into the kitchen and performed a kitchen show talking to myself and my new recipes. Then went back to bed. I have no memory of this."

ShadowmICE October 10, 2010

"I have taken this medicine for 4 months now due to not being able to sleep with the depression medicines I'm on. Ambien works wonders. I had a few odd moments where my child found me sleep walking, just in the fridge, hungry I guess. I saw things the first time I took a whole 10 mg. I'm glad others wrote reviews because my husband thought I was mental. Other then that it's been a blessing. I wake up at 6:30 every morning refreshed and brand new. I would tell anyone if you take it laying down. Don't go walk around it's meant for bedtime for a reason. It's worth a try for anyone not being able to sleep. Oh also I sleep from 9 to 6 every night. I may wake up once and I take nothing else for sleep."

okiegirl September 30, 2010

"Ambien worked great at helping me fall asleep but was terrible with helping me stay asleep, which found out after 2 weeks of taking it, it is a sleep inducer. I had no other side effects other than I would only get 3-4 hours of sleep a night."

Anonymous August 31, 2010

"I took my first Ambien last night. I laid in bed for almost an hour before I took it, then after taking the Ambien I would say I fell asleep within 15 minutes. I did wake up twice during the night but went right back to sleep and woke up at 6:15 this morning with a clear head and refreshed. At this point, I think Ambien rocks. I have always had trouble shutting down my mind and falling asleep. I have tried numerous prescriptions and over the counter medications with unsatisfactory results."

CCClark August 20, 2010

"This medicine, combined with 15mg of Remeron (the sedating antidepressant) has improved my quality of life ten-fold! Ambien (zolpidem) works very quickly and puts me to sleep within 20 minutes; Remeron works more slowly and keeps me in a deep, restful sleep. I've tried both medicines in isolation, with limited success. Taking only zolpidem gives me a short sleep of about 4 hours. On its own, Remeron will put me to sleep for 7-9 hours but takes two hours to start working. The combination of the two is perfectly synergistic! It's the "silver bullet" to my insomnia and low-grade depression, which I've had all of my 35 years. I've never been happier or healthier!"

Roberta Ivory August 14, 2010

"Ambien does the trick. However, you build a tolerance fairly quickly. I also had many many weird experiences the 3 years I was on it. I stopped taking however, and now take Trazodone, but will likely switch back in a year or so."

Aaron1827 August 14, 2010

"Really effective and helped me sleep, but also found myself confused and sometimes sleepwalking, in one case I was pretty badly injured jumping back into 'bed' but it was the home office desk I dove into, not the bed. It was a strange experience, because I never walked in my sleep, and thought I could clearly see and knew where I was, it equaled "bedroom" at 2 am. Take with caution."

Anonymous July 25, 2010