User Reviews for Ambien

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

Review by Randomly:

I love this medicine. I have delayed sleep-phase disorder and I've been using Ambien for the last five years. I learned pretty quick that I have to take it and go lie down; the first time I took some I thought "Well, I'll go have a quick bath before I go to bed." My husband says I wandered in an hour later talking about how the bathtub faucet changed into a raven's head and we (the faucet and I, that is) had a very long and profound conversation about the Harry Potter novels and the social implications thereof.

May 2, 2010 10:49 PM

Review by Only 30:

I started taking Ambien about a year ago. I had a terrible car accident a year before then and that's when my sleeping problems began. I must say it works very well and for some of the side effect I have heard and read about I have had a couple myself . My children brought a cake home from church and the next morning it was gone. I was upset they promised me mom you ate the whole thing you wouldn't even share. I decided to read up on the side effects and sure enough that was one of them. But really nothing else but treating myself to some cake I guess I thought I deserved. It really has been a true blessing to sleep well. I can take care of my 3 little girls with the energy I need. I truly think Ambien works wonders.

April 29, 2010 8:08 PM

Insomnia cleared by use of Ambien. Have been using nightly for about 12 years. No side effects whatsoever. However, my dosage is small.

April 28, 2010 12:33 AM

Review by Dave in Nevada:

When it works, it works well with no next day grogginess. I am a long time user, beginning in 2001. I have pretty much stopped, after using it every night for 9 years. I have tried Lunesta and I sleep two hours even with double dose. Rozerem had no effect. I may be trying Seroquel next. I had night-time events with no memory of them. I typically had one event every few months, but some were potentially deadly. Yes, I too cooked all the time with no memory of it. I would wake up and crack eggs in the sink and food on the table. I also (VERY IMPORTANT), would go on line, send e mail that was highly damaging and/or embarrassing and have no memory of doing it until I got responses. ALSO NIGHT DRIVING WITH NO MEMORY of the event.

April 27, 2010 1:35 AM

I have been taking Ambien for more years than I can count due to insomnia and nightmares. I have experienced the "sleep walking" activities, mostly repetitive conversations and eating which have been benign and harmless. Fortunately, I have family that is up later than me so they keep me from doing anything too outrageous. Sometimes I have a vague memory of my activities if my husband brings it to my attention, but if I am particularly stressed or anxious the side effects are amplified and my memory is gone. As for morning grogginess, a shower usually perks me up.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 14, 2010 11:15 PM

Review by TiffCFin:

I've been taking Ambien for 3 years because of my insomnia and I have to say even with it having such strange side effects it helps me get to sleep and stay asleep.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2010 8:34 PM

Review by bumblemuffin:

I had trouble functioning during the day because I couldn't fall asleep until 1 or 2 am, then had to get up at 6 am. My doctor prescribed 10 mg Ambien (not CR) but because I'm small I decided to cut one in half the first night. I was able to sleep soundly almost immediately after my head hit the pillow and I slept all night. That was about three years ago and I am still taking my half pill per night and sleeping well. I have occasional times (maybe once every two months) that I don't sleep well with them, but I don't blame the pill for that. Follow the directions, if you don't it isn't the fault of the drug, it's your own fault.

February 15, 2010 5:00 PM

Review by Texjoy:

Although Ambien did the job to rid me of insomnia, the side effects were too frightening so I had to stop using it. I began sleep walking, sleep cooking--yes, an entire meal at 2 AM-- and I don't remember and finally sleep driving. I was stopped by a state trouper, in my pajamas on I-80 heading west at 11 PM. Don't remember any of it. Never took it again.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 9, 2010 12:01 AM

Review by LORINA:

I've tried this medicine and it is quite good..I don't have to suffer from insomnia anymore. Thanks to ambien

January 28, 2010 2:58 AM

Before I started taking Ambien, I would fall asleep for an hour, wake up and maybe not go back to sleep at all. If I did fall asleep, it would only be for a short time. I sleep solidly from 10pm to 6 am and am no longer tired and run down during the day. That is worth everything.

January 27, 2010 8:57 PM

After using Ambien for about a week (I was desperate for sleep) I started to experience short term memory loss. I traveled to attend a workshop and could not recall or review much of the information just hours after.

January 21, 2010 2:26 AM

This product is so effective. It gives me a good night sleep.

January 15, 2010 2:58 AM

I was just recently prescribed Ambien for insomnia and pain medicines for the almost fatal gunshot wound that almost took my life almost 2 years ago. I used to be a law enforcement officer and now I can't work anymore because of the injury. I just bought a brand new Charger with a hemi and I took a Ambien before I took a shower and my family told me that I tried to get in my car and take off! So please be careful when you take them.

January 8, 2010 9:00 PM

I was diagnosed with insomnia five years ago after a string of very traumatic life events. Even as a small child, I typically tossed and turned for up to three hours before falling asleep. Despite these facts, I believed I was just not meant to sleep normally. My therapist suggested a sleep study and I was quickly referred to a psychiatrist who reviewed my past history as well as my current situation and prescribed 10mg of Ambien. I am finally able to sleep normally! I wake up with energy and actually enjoy early mornings with my daughter because I'm well rested. I don't take this medication on a nightly basis because I do enjoy the occasional glass of wine and I have no desire to experience unpleasant side effects.

January 6, 2010 1:14 AM

Review by anonymous.:

I love Ambien, although its effectiveness dwindles. I like to split my 10 mg tablets into five, and combine it with 1/2 bar of Xanax, sleep like a dream and I am not groggy at all. Restoril is fabulous too.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2010 11:59 PM

Review by SusanHunnell:

Helps me sleep through the night for the first time in my life. The first time I ever took it I made the mistake of not going to bed right away so I did have some hallucinations. They weren't scary, but I make sure to take it only when I go to bed. There are some definite sexual side effects, much to my husband's good fortune. It all seems like a vague dream when I wake up. It's probably a good idea to only take it when you're living with someone you trust!

December 26, 2009 6:08 PM

This drug made me visually hallucinate so bad I had to be driven to the ER! It stopped within a couple of hours, but I never took it again, and the hallucinations went away after that night.

December 9, 2009 11:13 PM

I was prescribed Ambien for insomnia because I am going through a particularly stressful time in my life. It does put me to sleep quickly but I've had several bouts of sleep walking. The last one was two nights ago and this one might actually cause me to stop taking it. My room mate said I got up and started to cut up some chicken then mixed it with some dry dog food. This wouldn't be bad if I then fed it to my dog but instead, I started feeding it to myself! Thankfully after I took one bite, she said I spit it out so I guess I wasn't completely out of it. I discovered other things like food taken out of the fridge and sugar spilled on the counter. Other than these things, the drug works great!

December 3, 2009 4:30 PM

I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. Ambien worked like a charm for two months. Then it completely stopped being effective.

December 2, 2009 11:37 PM

I tried this medicine but had to discontinue using it. The side effects were horrible for me.

December 1, 2009 10:07 PM

Review by KEVIN L K:

I get 10 mg (not cr) they work good most of the time. I sleep 6 hrs. With no side effects! Unless I take 2 then I am fuzzy until I take a hot shower.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 1, 2009 9:13 PM

Review by sorryGBANDN:

I've been using Ambien for about 4 to 5 years now. I also take a pain medication for a back injury. My doctor switched me to Ambien CR and the side effects were horrible. I felt angry beyond my control, confused, experienced memory loss, and crazy hallucinations. This was about 2 weeks ago and I'm still trying to put the pieces together. Make sure if you take this pill you check for drug interactions and be in bed ready to sleep. It's good and sad to know I'm not the only one.

November 29, 2009 9:12 PM

Review by iwishicouldsleep:

I've been taking Ambien now for about 8 months; I am also prescribed to benzos (clonazepam). Recently my doctor let me try a 7 day trial of Ambien CR- I did not feel much of a difference. I have read many of the blogs that people have written and they seem to have the same problem as me... sometimes it works and sometimes it does nothing! Actually its been two weeks since I last took it until tonight and it seems to be having no effect. If anyone has a solution I would love to hear about it. Thanks.

November 19, 2009 2:38 AM

Review by nancy b smith:

After 20 years of getting up every hour and a 1/2 to urinate, I am now able to sleep for 6 hours without waking. This has changed my Life.

November 16, 2009 8:35 PM

Review by cinKato:

Working very well for me but nervous about how long I can be on it. It's been just over a month. Worried I'll never be able to sleep good if I go off it.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 13, 2009 4:53 PM