User Reviews for Ambien

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

After using Ambien for about a week (I was desperate for sleep) I started to experience short term memory loss. I traveled to attend a workshop and could not recall or review much of the information just hours after.

January 21, 2010 2:26 AM

This product is so effective. It gives me a good night sleep.

January 15, 2010 2:58 AM

I was just recently prescribed Ambien for insomnia and pain medicines for the almost fatal gunshot wound that almost took my life almost 2 years ago. I used to be a law enforcement officer and now I can't work anymore because of the injury. I just bought a brand new Charger with a hemi and I took a Ambien before I took a shower and my family told me that I tried to get in my car and take off! So please be careful when you take them.

January 8, 2010 9:00 PM

I was diagnosed with insomnia five years ago after a string of very traumatic life events. Even as a small child, I typically tossed and turned for up to three hours before falling asleep. Despite these facts, I believed I was just not meant to sleep normally. My therapist suggested a sleep study and I was quickly referred to a psychiatrist who reviewed my past history as well as my current situation and prescribed 10mg of Ambien. I am finally able to sleep normally! I wake up with energy and actually enjoy early mornings with my daughter because I'm well rested. I don't take this medication on a nightly basis because I do enjoy the occasional glass of wine and I have no desire to experience unpleasant side effects.

January 6, 2010 1:14 AM

Review by anonymous.:

I love Ambien, although its effectiveness dwindles. I like to split my 10 mg tablets into five, and combine it with 1/2 bar of Xanax, sleep like a dream and I am not groggy at all. Restoril is fabulous too.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2010 11:59 PM

Review by SusanHunnell:

Helps me sleep through the night for the first time in my life. The first time I ever took it I made the mistake of not going to bed right away so I did have some hallucinations. They weren't scary, but I make sure to take it only when I go to bed. There are some definite sexual side effects, much to my husband's good fortune. It all seems like a vague dream when I wake up. It's probably a good idea to only take it when you're living with someone you trust!

December 26, 2009 6:08 PM

This drug made me visually hallucinate so bad I had to be driven to the ER! It stopped within a couple of hours, but I never took it again, and the hallucinations went away after that night.

December 9, 2009 11:13 PM

I was prescribed Ambien for insomnia because I am going through a particularly stressful time in my life. It does put me to sleep quickly but I've had several bouts of sleep walking. The last one was two nights ago and this one might actually cause me to stop taking it. My room mate said I got up and started to cut up some chicken then mixed it with some dry dog food. This wouldn't be bad if I then fed it to my dog but instead, I started feeding it to myself! Thankfully after I took one bite, she said I spit it out so I guess I wasn't completely out of it. I discovered other things like food taken out of the fridge and sugar spilled on the counter. Other than these things, the drug works great!

December 3, 2009 4:30 PM

I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. Ambien worked like a charm for two months. Then it completely stopped being effective.

December 2, 2009 11:37 PM

I tried this medicine but had to discontinue using it. The side effects were horrible for me.

December 1, 2009 10:07 PM

Review by KEVIN L K:

I get 10 mg (not cr) they work good most of the time. I sleep 6 hrs. With no side effects! Unless I take 2 then I am fuzzy until I take a hot shower.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 1, 2009 9:13 PM

Review by sorryGBANDN:

I've been using Ambien for about 4 to 5 years now. I also take a pain medication for a back injury. My doctor switched me to Ambien CR and the side effects were horrible. I felt angry beyond my control, confused, experienced memory loss, and crazy hallucinations. This was about 2 weeks ago and I'm still trying to put the pieces together. Make sure if you take this pill you check for drug interactions and be in bed ready to sleep. It's good and sad to know I'm not the only one.

November 29, 2009 9:12 PM

Review by iwishicouldsleep:

I've been taking Ambien now for about 8 months; I am also prescribed to benzos (clonazepam). Recently my doctor let me try a 7 day trial of Ambien CR- I did not feel much of a difference. I have read many of the blogs that people have written and they seem to have the same problem as me... sometimes it works and sometimes it does nothing! Actually its been two weeks since I last took it until tonight and it seems to be having no effect. If anyone has a solution I would love to hear about it. Thanks.

November 19, 2009 2:38 AM

Review by nancy b smith:

After 20 years of getting up every hour and a 1/2 to urinate, I am now able to sleep for 6 hours without waking. This has changed my Life.

November 16, 2009 8:35 PM

Review by cinKato:

Working very well for me but nervous about how long I can be on it. It's been just over a month. Worried I'll never be able to sleep good if I go off it.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 13, 2009 4:53 PM

Review by flyfishfuzz:

This drug makes it possible for me to live a normal life. It doesn't affect me the was it is supposed to. I've had severe depression after having a miscarriage and basically having a complete breakdown. My PCP prescribed it for insomnia to get me through until the antidepressants kicked in. I took it one night and it didn't make me tired but I felt calm and for the first time in weeks I was able to have clear thoughts. I was able to do housework and talk about my feelings more. I take it in the morning and it actually gives me the drive to make it through the day.

November 6, 2009 5:26 PM

Review by zzzzyay:

This has been very helpful for me. My sleeping pattern has been messed up for years since having a daughter with a significant disability which included among many other things a sleeping disorder. Ambien has enabled me to fall asleep consistently after a short period of time trying to fall asleep whereas I used to more often than not lay awake for hours before falling asleep. It is interesting for me that there has been a couple of times where I was not able to go to bed for over an hour after taking it and it didn't seem to make me feel any more groggy or sleepy, but when I did finally go to bed, I fell right asleep.

October 30, 2009 9:58 PM

Review by Jerry337:

If you start taking Ambien then stop taking it you have bigger sleep problems than you started with.

October 21, 2009 10:47 AM

Review by Oh Baby:

My husband loves that I take Ambien. He's never been happier. The amnesia that accompanies Ambien really works in his favor, if I wake up in the morning and he's smiling I know I have forgotten something (something really important :) But for me it's the best night sleep ever. I do have Ambien amnesia so I have to be careful. The Ambien CR has a two hour hole in the middle of the night for me. For two solid hours I'm wide awake. Zolpidiem is the generic form and I have found I have to take a higher dose than the name brand. Insurance demands generic. I have been taking it for 10 yrs.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 20, 2009 1:59 AM

Use only as directed, in bed, only for a short time. If you start using it during the day for anxiety you will be in big trouble. Withdrawal is bad. You may also do strange things. I took one at noon, at home in Minneapolis, and three hours later I was at Gooseberry Falls on Lake Superior. I do remember driving however.

October 13, 2009 5:27 PM

It only works about 1/2 the time. When it does work, I feel refreshed when I awaken. I don't understand why it doesn't work for me every time.

October 13, 2009 1:24 AM

Review by stpet:

Pleasant, eases you into sleep. No strange heaviness.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 11, 2009 3:32 AM

Review by rhollusstar:

For me, it was not quite as good as Restoril and Dalmane, but it is right up there.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2009 11:03 PM

Review by OSCARISMYCAT09:

I have a friend who had taken ambien for years without any problems. For whatever reason he had an episode where he took his pill and then remembers nothing until he was at the police station. He had drank three beers (which he only knows because that's all that was in his frig) then proceded to drive (!!) and ended up crashing into another parked car. This is scarey stuff, eh? It works wonderfully, but I surely wouldn't want to have a blackout and end up driving. Is there any class action suit against this drug? I've heard of the other stories -- walking naked in the winter cold, eating while sleeping, and then my friend's experience.

October 4, 2009 12:27 AM