User Reviews for Ambien

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

"I rated it a 3 overall for ME. It'a a 10 and worked great for falling asleep, but I had the sleep walk issues too. I read many comments about the sleep walking, cooking etc. I also did this along with other crazy things. I'm fortunate I didn't hurt myself or someone else. I live alone and my point is DO NOT take this without someone else in your home."

robert roup November 20, 2010

"I have been taking first Ambien and then Ambien CR for many years. I have had major difficulty in falling asleep and staying asleep. Although both medications work, I cannot function typically the day after. Furthermore, both need to be taken right before bedtime and no sooner. Amnesia and sleepwalking were major issues to the point where my doctor told me to stop taking both. My physician offered Silenor as an alternative. He told me I could take this everyday and although I didn't really need to, no addiction potential for Silenor. Also, none of those nasty side effects like amnesia and sleepwalking. I can remember going to sleep, staying asleep, and waking up without feeling sluggish. Silenor has been good to me."

Anonymous November 17, 2010

"I took Ambien for years and it helped me sleep, at first. Then, instead of sleeping I would walk around without any memory of it. I gained weight from eating without any memory. I think Ambien could be great for occasional insomnia but I don't recommend it for long term use."

Anonymous October 29, 2010

"Ambien works great when taken as directed. IT IS NOT INTENDED FOR LONG TERM, EVERY DAY USE. I have used 3 refills which have lasted me a year, although I was authorized 6 refills in that time.. I am very upfront with my doctor and tell him that occasionally, (due to working Midnight to 8), my sleep gets thrown off, so I take ONE, WHEN NEEDED. If your sleep disorder is to the point that you feel you need it everyday, you and your doctor should probably look at an alternative. Yes, your body can and will become dependent on it, if for nothing else, to sleep. It can be an awesome medication, when used properly, occasionally and conservatively."

IrishCop October 27, 2010

"After the birth of my child, I had a difficult time sleeping. The tireder I got the less I could sleep. My OB gave me Ambien to help me get sleep. At first I was concerned but I hadn't slept in days so my husband promised to listen for the baby. I have to say, without this medicine, I would never have made it through my insomnia. I would advise that if you take this drug, you let a loved one know so they can look out for you. I have tried to do a few stupid things while on this drug, like put stupid things on facebook and emailing people stupid things. Each time, my husband stopped me......YOU CANNOT USE THIS MEDICINE WITHOUT A WING MAN!"

kfpowell October 24, 2010

"Ambien does not do a thing for me. I started taking 10mg before bed and worked up to taking it 5 or 6 hours before bed without any change. I even tried taking 10mg in the afternoon and 10mg in the evening and still no help with sleep."

Anonymous October 21, 2010

"I have been taking Ambien for 2 years now for insomnia and trouble sleeping. It does make you tired, but you also feel really good and happy. I would take it and an hour later, not remember anything. Also, I would still wake up every hour. It helped me fall asleep, but not stay asleep. Recently, I over dosed on Ambien. That is what really woke me up. This is not for me. I have been prescribed Seroquel for my sleeping problems and this is wonderful. I have no more sleepwalking and I remember everything."

Insomnia13 October 20, 2010

"I am a young woman who never had issues falling asleep, but as I was planning my wedding and the stress of work, I was having a hard time. I was really nervous to take Ambien at first because of the negative reviews, but my experience has only been positive. I fall asleep within a few minutes and stay asleep, but I don't find myself in too much of deep sleep that I couldn't wake up in case of an emergency. It really changed my mindset on medication and sleeping aids in general. I would recommend it to anyone."

willy2313 October 18, 2010

"I started taking Ambien for insomnia about a month ago. It works great if I am able to take it early enough to get in 8 hours of sleep...however...I also take Wellbutrin and apparently they do not work well together. I have been sleep eating, sundaes, brownies, yogurt, sandwiches. I also cook and leave the mess behind and don't remember ANY OF IT. I colored my hair with two colors, and gave myself the worst haircut I've ever had in my life and was totally shocked the next morning when I saw the bright pink color in my hair and awful short bangs and uneven length. I had a conversation with my daughter and gave her permission to spend the night out which I would NOT have done in my right mind and she made me write it down for proof!"

Roseknight October 14, 2010

"Ambien is absolutely great, a miracle. Calms the mind. I suffer from severe anxiety, sometimes panic attacks. I'll take them during the day and the panic and anxiety just melts away. Fantastic for many psychological disorders but best for sleeping. Take on an empty stomach or you wont get the full effect."

SMONS October 12, 2010

"When I was in the service I had a few bouts with sleep problems only 3 times in 8 years. I was put on Ambien for 2 weeks at a time. Eventually it would wear off I'd go back to "dealing with it" Then for a few years I self medicated with whiskey. No big dramatic story but that had to stop. When I got out I didn't even try to claim compensation for it with the VA but they gave me a insomnia comp. Since then I receive my pills in the mail. I have never had a negative side effect. No sleep walking, talking, driving. It works better on an empty stomach though. I've woken up at night on it before but I normally fall right back to sleep. I wake up feeling like I got that perfect amount of sleep and so refreshed. It has given me my life back."

Anonymous October 11, 2010

"I took two Ambien and according to my family, came down stairs, greeted them all like I never seen them before. Then went into the kitchen and performed a kitchen show talking to myself and my new recipes. Then went back to bed. I have no memory of this."

ShadowmICE October 10, 2010

"I have taken this medicine for 4 months now due to not being able to sleep with the depression medicines I'm on. Ambien works wonders. I had a few odd moments where my child found me sleep walking, just in the fridge, hungry I guess. I saw things the first time I took a whole 10 mg. I'm glad others wrote reviews because my husband thought I was mental. Other then that it's been a blessing. I wake up at 6:30 every morning refreshed and brand new. I would tell anyone if you take it laying down. Don't go walk around it's meant for bedtime for a reason. It's worth a try for anyone not being able to sleep. Oh also I sleep from 9 to 6 every night. I may wake up once and I take nothing else for sleep."

okiegirl September 30, 2010

"Ambien worked great at helping me fall asleep but was terrible with helping me stay asleep, which found out after 2 weeks of taking it, it is a sleep inducer. I had no other side effects other than I would only get 3-4 hours of sleep a night."

Anonymous August 31, 2010

"I took my first Ambien last night. I laid in bed for almost an hour before I took it, then after taking the Ambien I would say I fell asleep within 15 minutes. I did wake up twice during the night but went right back to sleep and woke up at 6:15 this morning with a clear head and refreshed. At this point, I think Ambien rocks. I have always had trouble shutting down my mind and falling asleep. I have tried numerous prescriptions and over the counter medications with unsatisfactory results."

CCClark August 20, 2010

"This medicine, combined with 15mg of Remeron (the sedating antidepressant) has improved my quality of life ten-fold! Ambien (zolpidem) works very quickly and puts me to sleep within 20 minutes; Remeron works more slowly and keeps me in a deep, restful sleep. I've tried both medicines in isolation, with limited success. Taking only zolpidem gives me a short sleep of about 4 hours. On its own, Remeron will put me to sleep for 7-9 hours but takes two hours to start working. The combination of the two is perfectly synergistic! It's the "silver bullet" to my insomnia and low-grade depression, which I've had all of my 35 years. I've never been happier or healthier!"

Roberta Ivory August 14, 2010

"Ambien does the trick. However, you build a tolerance fairly quickly. I also had many many weird experiences the 3 years I was on it. I stopped taking however, and now take Trazodone, but will likely switch back in a year or so."

Aaron1827 August 14, 2010

"Really effective and helped me sleep, but also found myself confused and sometimes sleepwalking, in one case I was pretty badly injured jumping back into 'bed' but it was the home office desk I dove into, not the bed. It was a strange experience, because I never walked in my sleep, and thought I could clearly see and knew where I was, it equaled "bedroom" at 2 am. Take with caution."

Anonymous July 25, 2010

"Ive been an Ambien user now for 6 years. And like a lot of other post I've read, I find it is much more effective when taken on an empty stomach. I too have had my crazy nightly side effects..Painting my toe nails, dying my hair, a box of cereal completely eaten, and an almost dead cell phone to where I had been on the phone half the night saying god knows what (and yes, all this in one night). I agree that if you take it correctly and on an empty stomach, you should lay down within the first 30 minutes, if not, you never know where you may end up. It gives you almost an errie jolt of energy that you remember nothing about!"

Ambien User July 24, 2010

"I've been using 10mg Ambien for about 10 years now. I sleep very soundly and awake 6-8 hours later refreshed and loads of energy. Not every night, maybe 2 or 3 times a week. It is my miracle drug, but ONLY if I take it on an empty stomach! I too have had some "amnesia" like times. When I first began taking it, I called an ex boyfriend while my husband was asleep next to me. Thank God the side effects have gone away!"

Anonymous July 16, 2010

"I too have had embarrassing experiences on Ambien. While it helps me sleep, I often make phone calls or send nasty evil emails or texts in the middle of the night (3 or 4am) when I was sure I was asleep. I woke up one morning with my hand bandaged. Startled. I unwrapped my hand and noticed I had chopped off the end of my finger! Luckily I had the wits about me (I guess) to nurse my wound. I walked into the kitchen and realize I was cooking a ten course meal in the middle of the night. One time I woke up at 5 in the morning to find myself flat on my back on the concrete deck behind my neighbor's house. I did have my underwear on but it was October in Minnesota and it was a 40 degree night! I felt great though! Don't taunt Ambien!"

Anonymous July 9, 2010

"I had great success with this medicine at first. I had/have the 10 mg pills. When I started taking it, I would use it 3-4 times per week even though I could not fall or stay asleep on the other nights. Now I take it every night along with Xanax for insomnia and that still doesn't do the trick. My doctor added Trazodone 50mg to the mix. I still only get about 3-5 hours of sleep. It takes till 5 or 6 in the morning for me to fall asleep. It is slightly better than nothing at all, all 3 of the medicine's combined that is. I am beginning to feel like I will never sleep a good nights sleep."

badkatz May 28, 2010

"Ive been taking Ambien for 1 and 1/2 years. I think it works great, especially when traveling. Sometimes just 5 mg does it, and I have even used just 1/4 sometimes. It just relaxes the mind to let you sleep. The only time I did something silly was when I had a few drinks and took one. That's not good."

mrindy May 27, 2010

"Too many side effects for a drug that didn't help me sleep."

MeSaKa May 20, 2010

"I love this medicine. I have delayed sleep-phase disorder and I've been using Ambien for the last five years. I learned pretty quick that I have to take it and go lie down; the first time I took some I thought "Well, I'll go have a quick bath before I go to bed." My husband says I wandered in an hour later talking about how the bathtub faucet changed into a raven's head and we (the faucet and I, that is) had a very long and profound conversation about the Harry Potter novels and the social implications thereof."

Randomly May 2, 2010