User Reviews for Ambien

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien Review Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

"I took two Ambien and according to my family, came down stairs, greeted them all like I never seen them before. Then went into the kitchen and performed a kitchen show talking to myself and my new recipes. Then went back to bed. I have no memory of this."

ShadowmICE October 10, 2010

"I have taken this medicine for 4 months now due to not being able to sleep with the depression medicines I'm on. Ambien works wonders. I had a few odd moments where my child found me sleep walking, just in the fridge, hungry I guess. I saw things the first time I took a whole 10 mg. I'm glad others wrote reviews because my husband thought I was mental. Other then that it's been a blessing. I wake up at 6:30 every morning refreshed and brand new. I would tell anyone if you take it laying down. Don't go walk around it's meant for bedtime for a reason. It's worth a try for anyone not being able to sleep. Oh also I sleep from 9 to 6 every night. I may wake up once and I take nothing else for sleep."

okiegirl September 30, 2010

"Ambien worked great at helping me fall asleep but was terrible with helping me stay asleep, which found out after 2 weeks of taking it, it is a sleep inducer. I had no other side effects other than I would only get 3-4 hours of sleep a night."

Anonymous August 31, 2010

"I took my first Ambien last night. I laid in bed for almost an hour before I took it, then after taking the Ambien I would say I fell asleep within 15 minutes. I did wake up twice during the night but went right back to sleep and woke up at 6:15 this morning with a clear head and refreshed. At this point, I think Ambien rocks. I have always had trouble shutting down my mind and falling asleep. I have tried numerous prescriptions and over the counter medications with unsatisfactory results."

CCClark August 20, 2010

"This medicine, combined with 15mg of Remeron (the sedating antidepressant) has improved my quality of life ten-fold! Ambien (zolpidem) works very quickly and puts me to sleep within 20 minutes; Remeron works more slowly and keeps me in a deep, restful sleep. I've tried both medicines in isolation, with limited success. Taking only zolpidem gives me a short sleep of about 4 hours. On its own, Remeron will put me to sleep for 7-9 hours but takes two hours to start working. The combination of the two is perfectly synergistic! It's the "silver bullet" to my insomnia and low-grade depression, which I've had all of my 35 years. I've never been happier or healthier!"

Roberta Ivory August 14, 2010

"Ambien does the trick. However, you build a tolerance fairly quickly. I also had many many weird experiences the 3 years I was on it. I stopped taking however, and now take Trazodone, but will likely switch back in a year or so."

Aaron1827 August 14, 2010

"Really effective and helped me sleep, but also found myself confused and sometimes sleepwalking, in one case I was pretty badly injured jumping back into 'bed' but it was the home office desk I dove into, not the bed. It was a strange experience, because I never walked in my sleep, and thought I could clearly see and knew where I was, it equaled "bedroom" at 2 am. Take with caution."

Anonymous July 25, 2010

"Ive been an Ambien user now for 6 years. And like a lot of other post I've read, I find it is much more effective when taken on an empty stomach. I too have had my crazy nightly side effects..Painting my toe nails, dying my hair, a box of cereal completely eaten, and an almost dead cell phone to where I had been on the phone half the night saying god knows what (and yes, all this in one night). I agree that if you take it correctly and on an empty stomach, you should lay down within the first 30 minutes, if not, you never know where you may end up. It gives you almost an errie jolt of energy that you remember nothing about!"

Ambien User July 24, 2010

"I've been using 10mg Ambien for about 10 years now. I sleep very soundly and awake 6-8 hours later refreshed and loads of energy. Not every night, maybe 2 or 3 times a week. It is my miracle drug, but ONLY if I take it on an empty stomach! I too have had some "amnesia" like times. When I first began taking it, I called an ex boyfriend while my husband was asleep next to me. Thank God the side effects have gone away!"

Anonymous July 16, 2010

"I too have had embarrassing experiences on Ambien. While it helps me sleep, I often make phone calls or send nasty evil emails or texts in the middle of the night (3 or 4am) when I was sure I was asleep. I woke up one morning with my hand bandaged. Startled. I unwrapped my hand and noticed I had chopped off the end of my finger! Luckily I had the wits about me (I guess) to nurse my wound. I walked into the kitchen and realize I was cooking a ten course meal in the middle of the night. One time I woke up at 5 in the morning to find myself flat on my back on the concrete deck behind my neighbor's house. I did have my underwear on but it was October in Minnesota and it was a 40 degree night! I felt great though! Don't taunt Ambien!"

Anonymous July 9, 2010

"I had great success with this medicine at first. I had/have the 10 mg pills. When I started taking it, I would use it 3-4 times per week even though I could not fall or stay asleep on the other nights. Now I take it every night along with Xanax for insomnia and that still doesn't do the trick. My doctor added Trazodone 50mg to the mix. I still only get about 3-5 hours of sleep. It takes till 5 or 6 in the morning for me to fall asleep. It is slightly better than nothing at all, all 3 of the medicine's combined that is. I am beginning to feel like I will never sleep a good nights sleep."

badkatz May 28, 2010

"Ive been taking Ambien for 1 and 1/2 years. I think it works great, especially when traveling. Sometimes just 5 mg does it, and I have even used just 1/4 sometimes. It just relaxes the mind to let you sleep. The only time I did something silly was when I had a few drinks and took one. That's not good."

mrindy May 27, 2010

"Too many side effects for a drug that didn't help me sleep."

MeSaKa May 20, 2010

"I love this medicine. I have delayed sleep-phase disorder and I've been using Ambien for the last five years. I learned pretty quick that I have to take it and go lie down; the first time I took some I thought "Well, I'll go have a quick bath before I go to bed." My husband says I wandered in an hour later talking about how the bathtub faucet changed into a raven's head and we (the faucet and I, that is) had a very long and profound conversation about the Harry Potter novels and the social implications thereof."

Randomly May 2, 2010

"I started taking Ambien about a year ago. I had a terrible car accident a year before then and that's when my sleeping problems began. I must say it works very well and for some of the side effect I have heard and read about I have had a couple myself . My children brought a cake home from church and the next morning it was gone. I was upset they promised me mom you ate the whole thing you wouldn't even share. I decided to read up on the side effects and sure enough that was one of them. But really nothing else but treating myself to some cake I guess I thought I deserved. It really has been a true blessing to sleep well. I can take care of my 3 little girls with the energy I need. I truly think Ambien works wonders."

Only 30 April 29, 2010

"Insomnia cleared by use of Ambien. Have been using nightly for about 12 years. No side effects whatsoever. However, my dosage is small. "

Anonymous April 28, 2010

"When it works, it works well with no next day grogginess. I am a long time user, beginning in 2001. I have pretty much stopped, after using it every night for 9 years. I have tried Lunesta and I sleep two hours even with double dose. Rozerem had no effect. I may be trying Seroquel next. I had night-time events with no memory of them. I typically had one event every few months, but some were potentially deadly. Yes, I too cooked all the time with no memory of it. I would wake up and crack eggs in the sink and food on the table. I also (VERY IMPORTANT), would go on line, send e mail that was highly damaging and/or embarrassing and have no memory of doing it until I got responses. ALSO NIGHT DRIVING WITH NO MEMORY of the event."

Dave in Nevada April 27, 2010

"I have been taking Ambien for more years than I can count due to insomnia and nightmares. I have experienced the "sleep walking" activities, mostly repetitive conversations and eating which have been benign and harmless. Fortunately, I have family that is up later than me so they keep me from doing anything too outrageous. Sometimes I have a vague memory of my activities if my husband brings it to my attention, but if I am particularly stressed or anxious the side effects are amplified and my memory is gone. As for morning grogginess, a shower usually perks me up."

Anonymous April 14, 2010

"I've been taking Ambien for 3 years because of my insomnia and I have to say even with it having such strange side effects it helps me get to sleep and stay asleep."

TiffCFin April 10, 2010

"I had trouble functioning during the day because I couldn't fall asleep until 1 or 2 am, then had to get up at 6 am. My doctor prescribed 10 mg Ambien (not CR) but because I'm small I decided to cut one in half the first night. I was able to sleep soundly almost immediately after my head hit the pillow and I slept all night. That was about three years ago and I am still taking my half pill per night and sleeping well. I have occasional times (maybe once every two months) that I don't sleep well with them, but I don't blame the pill for that. Follow the directions, if you don't it isn't the fault of the drug, it's your own fault."

bumblemuffin February 15, 2010

"Although Ambien did the job to rid me of insomnia, the side effects were too frightening so I had to stop using it. I began sleep walking, sleep cooking--yes, an entire meal at 2 AM-- and I don't remember and finally sleep driving. I was stopped by a state trouper, in my pajamas on I-80 heading west at 11 PM. Don't remember any of it. Never took it again. "

Texjoy February 9, 2010

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've tried this medicine and it is quite good..I don't have to suffer from insomnia anymore. Thanks to ambien"

LORINA January 28, 2010

"Before I started taking Ambien, I would fall asleep for an hour, wake up and maybe not go back to sleep at all. If I did fall asleep, it would only be for a short time. I sleep solidly from 10pm to 6 am and am no longer tired and run down during the day. That is worth everything."

Anonymous January 27, 2010

"After using Ambien for about a week (I was desperate for sleep) I started to experience short term memory loss. I traveled to attend a workshop and could not recall or review much of the information just hours after."

Anonymous January 21, 2010

"This product is so effective. It gives me a good night sleep."

Anonymous January 15, 2010