User Reviews for Ambien (Page 6)

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

"Had no problems falling asleep only I would wake up to use the bathroom and stay awake for hours. Since using Ambien, I only take 2.5 mg. I find I can fall back to sleep easily several times a night. I wake up feeling very well rested and full of energy. "

Golden one October 6, 2012

"I can fall asleep but never stay asleep, and although with Ambien I still woke up 4 times I went right back to sleep, no laying there looking at the walls, for hours, with thoughts."

Prettykittycat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 29, 2012

"Ambien is something I have very mixed feelings about. To be honest I was hooked on it the first time I took it. It took me a year to realize this. It is an extremely subtle dependency that develops, but eventually it will stop working. When it stopped working I started feeling like I didn't get quality sleep at night at all and was dizzy all the time. I think it has a very subtle withdrawal that many people might not understand. Terrible, I will be up for 3 days straight at a time, it's been two months off of Ambien and I sleep worse now then I ever did before I had it. My advice is take it EXACTLY as it's prescribed no long term."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 18, 2012

"I was prescribed Ambien after suffering a serious bout of insomnia that no OTC sleep aid would touch. I was given 10 MG. The first night I took it, I woke up feeling like I was in heaven. I hadn't slept that well since I was a kid. I used it for three months, and the only reason I stopped taking it is because the 10 MG dosage eventually "pooped out" on me and my doctor did not want to increase the dose, so he switched me to Lunesta. But it was great while it lasted. I did have some weird hallucinations happen if I took it and stayed up for a while, so make sure you take it and go right to bed. I quit cold turkey to go on Lunesta and had no problems discontinuing it."

clarkdaniels (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2012

"I have been using Ambien for a few years. I have never been able to sleep through the night. Ambien works well. I have had a couple strange experiences however. Recently my wife found out she was a serious diabetic so we have really changed our lifestyle, you know, whole foods, fresh and raw fruits and veggies etc. I have dropped several pounds just eating well and less. The other night I thought I would make a healthy Spam sandwich; I used Dave's Killer Bread, low fat mozzarella and flaxseeds. Wife said I was really proud of my creation; don't remember a thing."

rlamb September 8, 2012

"I have been taking Ambien for about 6 months, and it does the job very well. I generally take half of my 5mg pill a few nights/week. I have to take it and go directly to bed, or I have zero memory of what happens between taking it and falling asleep. The reason that I rate it so low is that I've started to notice that I have hours of the next day (after taking it the night before) that I have absolutely no memory of. I've sideswiped the guardrails in my car on the way to work and had no idea that I had done so until my husband asked what happened to the car. I had a very faint 'did I dream that or did it really happen' recollection of it. I take it fairly early in the evening. "

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 7, 2012

"This has been very beneficial, I have great trouble with falling asleep before 3am despite getting up early. It puts me to sleep, it's the best. Wake up fresh in the morning, no residual effects. If I stay awake I don't hallucinate or do anything weird (as per my husband) however if I'm lying in bed watching a movie or have a conversation I'm unlikely to remember much the next day. I don't get depressed or emotional on it either and I'm not a zombie. "

FunkyBandit (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2012

"I take a very low dose-5mg of Ambien at bedtime when I know I need a great night's sleep! I had one experience of taking this after drinking and it wasn't an experience I'd ever like to relive! Crazy- to say the least! I have not done any sleep walking or strange night activities!"

jennGarner (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2012

"It's not working. I still stay up or get up 5 to 6 time a night."

meeke (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2012

"I I've taken Ambien, and now the generic, for 10 or 11 years. I usually took it only when sleeping away from home. The last month, or so, I've needed it every night to fall asleep. I always try to fall asleep on my own first but it has become increasingly difficult. I have absolutely no side effects and never have had. I never get out of bed during the night and feel totally refreshed when I wake in the morning. I don't know what I'd do without it."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 14, 2012

"I have worked rotating shifts for over the 30 years and I have never had enough sleep. So I asked my doctor if there was anything I could try. He suggested Ambien, 10 mg at bedtime. So for the last year I now wake up after 6 hours of rest, which nothing compared to years of restless nights tossing and turning over to look at a clock. Good sleep means a lot and is worth a pill every night."

Anonymous July 7, 2012

"This is the only sleep aid that has ever worked for me. I get a good full night sleep, I wake up refreshed and not groggy. Bless the makers of this medication, you have literally changed my life. I used to sleep 15 to 45 mins a night, now at 6 - 8 hours of sleep. My blood pressure has come down, I no longer battle depression and fatigue, and I am productive at work!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 3, 2012

"It works! It was really weird at first... make sure you are IN BED shortly after you take it or you will be subject to odd behavior/amnesia. "

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 29, 2012

"Works so well, but have been taking it for years. Wish wish wish I could sleep without it. Don't like pills but unable to sleep without it. If you can't sleep, nothing works like this. I've tried everything; herbs, melatonin, Tryptophane, over the counter sleep aids, etc. Nothing else works. Truly an amazing creation. "

Anonymous June 26, 2012

"I have been taking Ambien since it was released to the public. I only use it occasionally. Sometimes I have a period of several days where going or staying asleep is a problem, then no need for weeks. I have never had any after or side effects from taking Ambien. I feel it is, for me and my condition, the best medication on the market."

Traude (taken for 10 years or more) June 2, 2012

"Ambien has been a lifesaver for me. I have had insomnia since I was a teen, and Ambien has been the only medication I have used that works for me. There are plenty of "strange" things that can happen if you try to do things between the time you take the medication and onset. IMPORTANT: If you are going to take Ambien, be IN BED, ready to sleep. It takes effect VERY quickly. Great medication for insomnia!"

Anonymous May 2, 2012

"This medicine has a very strange effect on me. Within 15 minutes of taking it I start to feel tired but at the same time develop a massive unyielding erection. It's frustrating because the medicine works, I am super tired when I take it but too uncomfortable to sleep."

Michalob April 25, 2012

"I take Ambien when I need to change my sleeping habits, or when my anxiety induces insomnia. I've had no side effects bad enough for me to remember, although I do get amnesia. I do my best to get right to sleep after taking it because I will do strange things while awake. Otherwise Ambien works perfectly for my needs."

Matsi March 8, 2012

"Awesome medicine, not worried about dependency because insomnia, like depression can be chronic. When I take one get the best sleep of my life. Don't, and I can't sleep, much like before I started taking it. As others have said, take it and go DIRECTLY to bed! Do not pass go!"

Silentsoft March 4, 2012

"I have been taking Ambien for about 3 years. I have Anxiety disorder and have had trouble getting to sleep as long as I remember. I worked night shifts because it was easier. After I had kids, I had to become a day person! I had terrible nights of falling asleep at 3-4 am after tossing and turning. I used Benadryl for several years and one night it turned on me, I had anxiety attacks, muscle spasm & ridgidity. My doctor gave me Lexapro, because I had depression at that time as well. I hated it and how numb I always felt. Then he prescribed Ambien. I cut the pill in half. It doesnt knock me out, it just turns my brain to slow and sleepy. I sleep like a baby. I wake very happy and alert. No more depression either."

Anonymous February 28, 2012

"Horrible effects; insomnia, muscle spasm, heart pain, facial pain, skin rashes and acne, low body temperatutre<97 F"

NickandJane February 23, 2012

"I was having severe insomnia to the point where I was only getting 1-2 hours, at the most, of sleep a night. I started to hallucinate after a few days of this and was prescribed Ambien. It works fast (within 10 minutes after kicking in to fall asleep), but I only sleep 4-5 hours on it and then wake up refreshed. I don't get my full 7-8 hours. Not sure what's up with that. I tried Ambien CR and it took longer to fall asleep on that and I still only got around 4-5 hours of sleep on the CR version. I still use Ambien and it's better than Lunesta which gave me a nasty taste in my mouth and didn't even make me tired. Overall, I recommend Ambien."

Anonymous February 9, 2012

"I took 5 mg of Ambien for 3 weeks. It was effective but when I stopped I had a terrible time trying to sleep. Check with your doctor and see if phasing out Ambien with lower doses would be recommended."

Anonymous February 1, 2012

"Started taking Ambien 5 years ago while I was in nursing school. I would sometimes only get 45 minutes of sleep without it. With it I could easily sleep 8 hours. It worked amazingly well. Now, 5 years later, it seems I have built up quite the tolerance and sometimes need to take 2 just to make me half sleepy. Another problem is my doctor does not like to give me refills as this medicine is meant for short term use. He does refill it, but only after a long lecture every month."

But-I-NEED-it February 1, 2012

"I cannot take Ambien anymore. Last night I apparently tried to feed the pet python, left the cage open, burned myself on the bed warmer, argued with my girlfriend as she was trying to get me to go back bed and then argued with her again this morning when she told me what I had done. I have no recollection of any of this. I don't even feel very rested this morning, and it's no wonder- I was up all night sleepwalking and doing who knows what. The lights were on, but no one was home."

Anonymous January 21, 2012