User Reviews for Ambien

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

Review by ona katiya:

This medicine works to get me to sleep and stay asleep. HOWEVER I quickly become dependent on it and cant get to sleep without it so I can't take it as needed. Also I noticed that I seem to need larger doses rapidly. My insomnia issues are generally manageable if I avoid caffeine and don't eat too close to bedtime.

November 17, 2013 3:25 AM

Review by fastjetpilot (taken for 10 years or more):

Wonderful medication!!

November 8, 2013 10:20 AM

Review by Kattigirl:

Ambien CR 12.5 works for me, but, for some reason I can't take the generic. Negates my anti-depressant (doctor has tried me on different anit-depressants & does it on all of them.) Has anyone else had this problem? Very weird.

November 1, 2013 5:20 PM

Review by Reservechic:

It truly works great! I am so happy that my doctor prescribed it for me for my insomnia.

October 26, 2013 2:18 PM

Review by Kaykaypr (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Life time insomnia, 5 mg ambien is good for me. One half hour before bedtime I take 5 mg, turn off tv, put books aside, computer is off and I am in bed. Generally wake up 7 hrs later thanking the sleep Gods for a good night!

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2013 12:41 AM

Review by llcmal (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have many incurable diseases that are very painful. One of those is called Fibromyalgia. When you have Fibromyalgia, you rarely-if ever go to Stage 4 sleep. Without Ambien, I can be awake for 2-3 days. In pain, exhausted, crying and not able to sleep. I have been on all OTC medications for sleep. I have also tried Ambien CR (which for some reason doesn't work at all for me), Lunesta, Sonata, and chloral hydrate. (For those who don't know Chloral Hydrate is VERY strong). None of those worked. Ambien does!

October 5, 2013 2:02 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have taken this in addition to Benadryl for the last five years and noticed that it seems to work within 20 or 30 minutes as opposed to Benadryl which takes about an hour. The problem is if you take it too early before going to bed you may miss the window period and lie awake in bed restless. I've never had any of the adverse side effects like weird dreams or sleepwalking but it also seems to wake me up eight hours after taking it regardless of the time. It's probably the best as needed medicine for insomnia but would not recommend of an everyday basis.

September 17, 2013 1:08 PM

Review by Dannelley:

I work at a bar. Last night was the first night I started Ambien and I fell right to sleep, woke up early, went for a jog I feel amazing.

September 6, 2013 1:02 PM

Review by Liz1980 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

After a car accident where I suffered a head injury I had horrible insomnia worsened by pre-existing fibromyalgia. Nothing over the counter was working at all to help me sleep. My doctor put me on this. When it works, it's awesome. I cannot have any food on my stomach if I want this to work, though. I don't take it until I've washed my face, brushed my teeth & am actually in bed for the night. That's the trick! I hate that the FDA cut dosage by half for women- the lower dose doesn't work for me because I'm big/tall. Weight makes a difference in this meds case. Not everyone sleep-drives or sleepwalks on this.

August 20, 2013 10:58 AM

Review by TKOL (taken for less than 1 month):

Ambien is the best ever.

August 20, 2013 10:37 AM

Review by Bailey4201:

I was diagnosed a bad case of insomnia a few years ago, they have tried me on multiple medicines but Ambien is by far the best out there for me. It keeps me asleep between 4-5 hours solid. Then up again so I take a half and I sleep great.

August 8, 2013 9:10 PM

Review by ballistics123:

Ambien was a great for me. I suffer from spine damage and pain wakes me. Sleep studies found I got 2 hrs of REM sleep. Ambien made this 5 and 6 hrs REM sleep. From this I cut my pain meds in half. My life got better and I went back to work. Medicine is not designed for long term use, yet I had to. This was only way I could sleep. I started with depression problems. Dr gave other medicines and it only made me worse. Ask for a sleep medicine change to Lunesta. In a week my depression was gone.

August 7, 2013 11:58 AM

Review by Dolly2256 (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on a fairly high dose of ambien (20 mgs) for periodic limb movement disorder which a sleep study showed woke me up over 100 times per night. I've been on the same dose for over fifteen years. Before I tried this, I was given over thirty different medications over two years, none of which really worked. This is what works. It works pretty well still, helping me fall and stay asleep, and I haven't noticed any side effects except midnight snacks and very mild memory haziness (I can still remember what happens, it's just muddy, like waking up in the middle of the night). Recently, my doctor told me the FDA had suggested I drop to 5 mg a night. That dose would never work for me, even when I started it. It's safe and still works.

August 7, 2013 12:25 AM

Review by lissabirdie (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I love it. I am a very restless sleeper, wake up almost every single hour then have a hard time falling back to sleep. The only time I could sleep through the night is if I drank a load of alcohol. Well, first I started out with half of a 5mg Ambien just to see how it would affect me, I slept a solid 4 hours, woke up, but it didn't bother me, I didn't get all upset because I woke up, and I easily fell back to sleep. So even 2.5 MG took the edge off for me. It depends on how good I want to sleep as to how much Ambien I take, last night I took 5mg and slept a solid 6 hours, got up went to the bathroom, slept another 3 hours, I don't have all the weird side effects. I feel like a whole new person taking this medication.

July 31, 2013 11:12 AM

Review by Beachgirl65 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have had on and off insomnia since I was a teenager. For almost 10 years I took an OTC sleeping pill and it worked fine. Last winter, I suddenly could not fall asleep with anything I took. I tried everything possible but I wouldn't fall asleep until 2 or 3 am. I would go into work feeling like I was hit by a truck. I spoke to my doctor, and she said that I might be suffering from depression which is why I wasn't sleeping. Tried trazadone but it never helped me sleep. I would have severe dry mouth, wouldn't fall asleep most nights and it caused me to have weird side effects. I went back to the doctor and she gave me 5 mg Ambien. It has helped me tremendously. I do not have the side effects people talk about.

July 27, 2013 11:07 PM

Review by OMR77 (taken for 10 years or more):

I take less than 10 mg (about 1/4 of a pill) very nearly every night for 15 years. I have had no side effects.

July 8, 2013 11:08 PM

Review by ceremebol:

Worked great for first few times, but started to dissipate until it stopped working altogether

June 25, 2013 1:24 AM

Review by AnxietyBomb (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Worked very poorly for insomnia at times it would let me have 3-4 hours of restless sleep and at others even with taking two I laid wide awake for hours.

June 24, 2013 2:31 PM

Review by !:

After working 12hr shift work for our local Police Department, when you come home, you have what I guess nervous energy. I have tried other medicines. However "Ambien allows a deep sound-ful sleep.

June 22, 2013 6:14 PM

Review by 8579309 (taken for less than 1 month):

I had a real rough time falling asleep so my doc prescribed Ambien. It worked tremendously but after 3 days I experienced finger joint pain, by the 5th day wrist and finger joint paint was excessive. I will stop using and hope the pain goes away!

June 15, 2013 3:13 PM

Review by nikadi2009 (taken for less than 1 month):

My doctor took me off Trazodone due to sexual problems. I started taking Ambien about 2 days ago. The first day, I was a zombie and had major amnesia problems. My son videotaped how crazy I was acting. I didn't know you had to lie down and take it. I took it the next night while in bed and was wired. Only got 30 minutes of sleep before work. I am ADHD, so that may have had something to do with it. I will give it a couple more nights before I give up on it.

May 28, 2013 5:50 PM

Review by Devx (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I suffer from both sleep onset and sleep maintenance insomnia. My doctor recommended that I take 5 mg (half a dose) of Ambien prior to bedtime. In terms of overriding sleep onset insomnia, this product is excellent. It also does a good job of keeping me asleep throughout the night; however, I still wake up approximately five to six hours later. (My ideal amount of sleep is seven to eight hours). Still, getting six hours of uninterrupted sleep is preferable to eight hours of fitful sleeping. It's also worth mentioning that Ambien doesn't leave me feeling groggy in the morning. Unlike some of the other reviewers here I haven't experienced any of the more pernicious negative side-effects, e.g. the various somnambulist activities.

May 20, 2013 8:48 AM

Review by BananaBird:

First time in a LONG time I have gone to bed without worrying about if I was going to be able to sleep, then I didn't have to lay there trying, it just happened. I woke up refreshed, which was a surprise because it is normally a 15 minute battle to get up in the morning.

April 27, 2013 10:27 PM

Review by dreamerboy:

I fell asleep as soon as the pill kicked in and was out like a lamp for the rest of the night.

April 25, 2013 12:45 PM

Review by R.Miller82:

Since I was a teenager I have been struggling with Insomnia. So I was sent to a Psychiatrist who was fairly old. So as he prescribed Xanax and Valium for me in the day time. He gave me Amytal (amobarbital) 200mg Capsules for insomnia. These work more than you can believe. However as there wasn't a huge demand for it it was taken off the market, and I was put on Restoril 30mg x 2, didn't work. Ambien in my opinion is the best they have on the market right now.

April 23, 2013 5:16 PM