User Reviews for Ambien

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 74 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

Review by lissabirdie (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I love it. I am a very restless sleeper, wake up almost every single hour then have a hard time falling back to sleep. The only time I could sleep through the night is if I drank a load of alcohol. Well, first I started out with half of a 5mg Ambien just to see how it would affect me, I slept a solid 4 hours, woke up, but it didn't bother me, I didn't get all upset because I woke up, and I easily fell back to sleep. So even 2.5 MG took the edge off for me. It depends on how good I want to sleep as to how much Ambien I take, last night I took 5mg and slept a solid 6 hours, got up went to the bathroom, slept another 3 hours, I don't have all the weird side effects. I feel like a whole new person taking this medication.

July 31, 2013 11:12 AM
Review by Beachgirl65 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have had on and off insomnia since I was a teenager. For almost 10 years I took an OTC sleeping pill and it worked fine. Last winter, I suddenly could not fall asleep with anything I took. I tried everything possible but I wouldn't fall asleep until 2 or 3 am. I would go into work feeling like I was hit by a truck. I spoke to my doctor, and she said that I might be suffering from depression which is why I wasn't sleeping. Tried trazadone but it never helped me sleep. I would have severe dry mouth, wouldn't fall asleep most nights and it caused me to have weird side effects. I went back to the doctor and she gave me 5 mg Ambien. It has helped me tremendously. I do not have the side effects people talk about.

July 27, 2013 11:07 PM
Review by OMR77 (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

I take less than 10 mg (about 1/4 of a pill) very nearly every night for 15 years. I have had no side effects.

July 8, 2013 11:08 PM
Review by ceremebol: User Rating:

Worked great for first few times, but started to dissipate until it stopped working altogether

June 25, 2013 1:24 AM
Review by AnxietyBomb (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Worked very poorly for insomnia at times it would let me have 3-4 hours of restless sleep and at others even with taking two I laid wide awake for hours.

June 24, 2013 2:31 PM
Review by !: User Rating:

After working 12hr shift work for our local Police Department, when you come home, you have what I guess nervous energy. I have tried other medicines. However "Ambien allows a deep sound-ful sleep.

June 22, 2013 6:14 PM
Review by 8579309 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I had a real rough time falling asleep so my doc prescribed Ambien. It worked tremendously but after 3 days I experienced finger joint pain, by the 5th day wrist and finger joint paint was excessive. I will stop using and hope the pain goes away!

June 15, 2013 3:13 PM
Review by nikadi2009 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

My doctor took me off Trazodone due to sexual problems. I started taking Ambien about 2 days ago. The first day, I was a zombie and had major amnesia problems. My son videotaped how crazy I was acting. I didn't know you had to lie down and take it. I took it the next night while in bed and was wired. Only got 30 minutes of sleep before work. I am ADHD, so that may have had something to do with it. I will give it a couple more nights before I give up on it.

May 28, 2013 5:50 PM
Review by Devx (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I suffer from both sleep onset and sleep maintenance insomnia. My doctor recommended that I take 5 mg (half a dose) of Ambien prior to bedtime. In terms of overriding sleep onset insomnia, this product is excellent. It also does a good job of keeping me asleep throughout the night; however, I still wake up approximately five to six hours later. (My ideal amount of sleep is seven to eight hours). Still, getting six hours of uninterrupted sleep is preferable to eight hours of fitful sleeping. It's also worth mentioning that Ambien doesn't leave me feeling groggy in the morning. Unlike some of the other reviewers here I haven't experienced any of the more pernicious negative side-effects, e.g. the various somnambulist activities.

May 20, 2013 8:48 AM
Review by BananaBird: User Rating:

First time in a LONG time I have gone to bed without worrying about if I was going to be able to sleep, then I didn't have to lay there trying, it just happened. I woke up refreshed, which was a surprise because it is normally a 15 minute battle to get up in the morning.

April 27, 2013 10:27 PM
Review by dreamerboy: User Rating:

I fell asleep as soon as the pill kicked in and was out like a lamp for the rest of the night.

April 25, 2013 12:45 PM
Review by R.Miller82: User Rating:

Since I was a teenager I have been struggling with Insomnia. So I was sent to a Psychiatrist who was fairly old. So as he prescribed Xanax and Valium for me in the day time. He gave me Amytal (amobarbital) 200mg Capsules for insomnia. These work more than you can believe. However as there wasn't a huge demand for it it was taken off the market, and I was put on Restoril 30mg x 2, didn't work. Ambien in my opinion is the best they have on the market right now.

April 23, 2013 5:16 PM
Review by Mr. Nailz (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

My experience was great, like a Valium I'm feeling excellent and I know I will have a great night. Thanks Ambien.

April 9, 2013 9:52 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Works amazing! I have horrible anxiety and panic attacks which causes me to have insomnia as well. Tried just about everything for sleep. Works better than some benzos to for sleep! I know a lot about benzos. Been prescribed Ativan and Valium and this medication puts me to sleep better than those! Note this medication works similar to benzos. 5mg will work great to. You will sleep fine and wake up feeling great and functioning normal as can be. Overall great sleep medicine.

March 23, 2013 6:34 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have trouble sleeping. I am also a former drug addict. I was prescribed ambien and find that when I take it I make a lot of phone calls- the next morning I am always embarassed. Last night I made tweleve phone calls including a former co-worker (20 years ago) I left a voice message on vet's answearing service. I also discovered, to my horror, I had sent a number of emails. It is like recalling the things you did when you are drunk. The uspide I slept stright for about five hours (rare for me) and was not groggy. Indeed, I enjoyed about forty-five mintues to an hour of cheerfulness I remembered the phone calls

March 14, 2013 5:53 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Have been taking Ambien as needed for about a month. It's worked almost flawlessly and very reliably each time I've taken it, and I've experienced no negative effects. It's a very calm, peaceful transition into sleep. I used to dread bedtime because my thoughts raced constantly, but this drug has provided a very satisfactory solution. All in all, a quite safe and reliable solution to insomnia.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 13, 2013 1:35 AM
Review by junebug6679: User Rating:

Helps alot after a long hard day of being a mom of 3.

March 9, 2013 1:19 PM
Review by Can't Turn It Off: User Rating:

Always rolled around in bed since I was a kid trying to stop thinking. Sleep just didn't come natural unless I really put my body through the ringer that day. Being a kid, on those days I slept. Drinking in my mid years helped me get to sleep. Then I hit a work-anxiety wall in my 50's. Ambien, 10 mg, put me to sleep. With the well known side effects - called friends late at night (it doesn't work on me fast). Ate a lot of crap late. I need a good hour, more like 2 before I feel the effects, probably because I only take 2/3 now, I weigh around 200 pounds. The problem with Ambien is you never know when it's going to hit you. When it does and you're still ambulatory, childproof your life.

March 8, 2013 3:41 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Works but had rebound insomnia after about 2 weeks of taking it.

February 7, 2013 10:48 PM
Review by Phantomjetpilot (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Best sleeping product on the market today!

February 6, 2013 1:31 PM
Review by lkd54 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Caused me to do things and not remember afterwards...I would be cautious while first taking this medication.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 8, 2013 9:43 PM
Review by Pol Aindriu (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I was put on 10mg of Ambien after I was having trouble sleeping during a breakdown. I made the mistake one night of taking it and then answering the phone, I was on the phone for an hour.....Oh man, the cupboard moved all on it own,t hen they were strange people walking up and down the stairs in my house. Strange thing is I thought this was funny. I fell down twice, once breaking a little coffee table. Luckily for me my partner was there to help me up the stairs and put me to bed. I now only take 5mg about an hour before bed and it really relaxes me and makes me forget all problems. I don't have any trouble sleeping anymore as such just the odd night here and there.

January 1, 2013 12:23 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I took my daughter to dinner during which she mentioned our ride to school that morning. I asked what she meant. She told me I had given her a ride to school that morning. I have no recollection of taking her to school, leaving the house or coming home. It was a surreal experience and after reading the reviews here I have decided to stop taking the medication. It does help with sleep but driving in a black out is too scary for me.

December 11, 2012 8:48 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

My bipolar disorder triggered severe insomnia and so my doctor gave me Ambien. It worked wonders. First few nights taking it I saw double/blurry and then just knocked out, got AMAZING rest, woke up refreshed. Overtime I had some sleep walking/talking/eating episodes. One time I woke up and ate a batch of cookies and another time I made some midnight hot dogs. I would wake up feeling unusually bloated, haha, that's why. One time I took the Ambien and decided to take a quick 5 minute hot shower afterwards, well, my husband told me he caught me talking to the shampoo bottles. So weird! Listen to the directions, take once you are lying in bed, unlike me. You wont remember a thing. Once I swallow the pill, I don't remember anything after that.

November 5, 2012 8:02 PM
Review by JessicaC1183 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I've been taking Ambien for almost a month now and I have to say, it is amazing. The first night I took it, it kicked in about 10 minutes later. I have never had such a good nights sleep. I woke up feeling energized and I had energy all day. The only weird thing that I experienced were MILD hallucinations before I actually fell asleep. I sat down on the bed and apparently asked my husband "when did we get a water bed?" (we don't have a water bed). And also I asked him, "when did we get pink and green sheets?" (Our sheets are white). Other than that, nothing scary or frightening. I didn't get up in the middle of the night doing anything weird. When I did get up to use the restroom, I knew I was awake and I knew what I was doing.

November 4, 2012 11:33 AM
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next

Learn more about Insomnia

Living with Advanced MS? View our 7 part video series and learn more. Click Here