User Reviews for Ambien (Page 2)

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 111 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

"I have been prescribed Ambien for 3 years now, I used to take Xanax along with it so I never truly got to experience the hypnotic effects of Ambien on its own. Now I take it by itself and its a powerful medication. It can cause my appetite to get out of control, also I had a major problem when I drank alcohol with it . My parents came home to find me, putting all my clothes in a suitcase I found somewhere in the house, a loaf of sliced bread spread all over the house and the yard, and me yelling at them for making my friends leave the game early, what the hell I was doing or talking about I still have no idea. So yes, don't drink and take Ambien in the course of a night because it leads to some bizarre activities. But all in all as a sleep aid it's great."

Nucky0109 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 14, 2015

"I was dealing with severe insomnia for a few months. Dr prescribed 10mg. It helped me fall asleep noticably quicker. No sleepwalking or anything, but then one night my work woke me after an hour or so and I was slightly impaired; stumbling through bedroom and slurring words. Felt like being drunk except that my mind was still fine, just body delayed. Otherwise, it has been free of side effects and gets job done - except for heartburn. Experience it nightly after taking ambien and take an antacids"

Nmguy (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2015

"I have been taking ambien or zolphidem for almost 15 years. I had horrible insomnia where I couldn't sleep sometimes at all during the night. The insomnia went on for about 2 years before I tried ambien. it worked immediately. I don't take it every night and when I do I break off a third of the pill. The only side effect is sometimes grogginess in the morning. I worry about a little memory loss. I was told it disrupts your REM sleep which can affect memory. Trying to get off completely but don't want to go through that horrible insomnia again."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) November 7, 2015

"Love it, I have PTSD & at night cannot sleep. I take one 5 mg & go right to sleep in minutes, feel great in the morning. I recommend detox clients take this its awesome!"

professional but still human (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

"So far it's great. I sleep a full eight hours. No side effects as of yet"

Kelz2006 October 26, 2015

"Knocked out within 5 minutes. Woke up 3 hours later; lights still on and found my book on the floor. The next day I had memory loss and felt confused. I tried them 3 times with the same experience, than I returned them to the pharmacy. Maybe I"

Mael69 October 18, 2015

"I have been taking Ambien for almost 1 yr now and find it to work just well. I sleep for almost 6 hrs but it takes almost 1- 1.5 hrs to kick in for me. I take it when in bed because once it's in and the effect takes in I fall right asleep and don't remember what time I fell asleep, I wake up right when my alarm goes off or if I need to use the restroom. I don't wake up groggy and feel pretty great about my day, everyone I believe would like to sleep in more but 4-6hrs is good for me. I have horrible insomnia which keeps me up all night until about 6-7 am then maybe fall asleep fr being a zombie. Ambien definitely helps " me", but yes on a empty stomach is a must it else I can just say I wasted a pill. Good luck with your experiences."

kar0311 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 15, 2015

"I have taken Ambein for about 4 years, never wake up tired or groggy. Stay asleep for a good 6-7 hours. Best sleep med I have taken."

Robphins65 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 4, 2015

"Not my experience but my wife's,very effective and addictive,after work the highlight to her day is taking this, has changed her personality and what's important to her. Tried many different things and this is where where at,"

Rz1 October 2, 2015

"Took ambien for the first time last night after not sleeping all night for months. I didn't want to wake up late or groggy. This worked wonders. Took at 9ish just woke up at 6. So happy I didn't sleep in but also got a full nights rest... Now let's hope I didn't do anything weird."

Alifair October 2, 2015

"I have been on Ambien for almost a month now. This drug works maybe a 30 mins later but I do not stay sleep. It gives me maybe a good 6 hours of rest. I'm tired throughout the day but still can't fall asleep when I get home."

Still tired October 2, 2015

"I have been taking 5 mg of Ambien for quite a while. It has, however, been making me wake up, every hour on the hour, and I eat and eat through out the night. Years ago I took Ambien and I would wake up and I would find crumbs in the bed and would not remember even eating anything. Let's just say, I gain 'unneeded' weight...... ;( I told my psychiatrist today that I want to stop taking it and that I wish to 'wean' myself off of it, and she told me to 'just do it'. You don't have to worry about weaning it. Your on such a small dose." On every thing I have ever read and learned (I am a RN), you wean yourself off of any medicine. So I am going to wean myself off of the Ambien. Thanks for reading."

kdblueey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 18, 2015

"I kept waking up"

Anonymous September 17, 2015

"I personally have not taken this medication but my mother has. I am 19 and she started taking it when I was 12. It for the most part helped her insomnia but the side effects were extreme. I would have to stay up until she had fallen asleep because if I didn't she would do things and not remember them the next morning. She would take our dog for a walk in the dark at 10 at night by herself. There was one occasion where she woke up on our neighbors cement front porch with our dog. She had no recollection of how she got there. She would eat strange things like vineager and ketchup chicken quesadillas, she would fall down the stairs, she would lose things, and she got very addicted. Coming off it was horrible. The night terrors were insane"

Utahgirl September 17, 2015

"I was prescribed this (5 mg) to help me sleep. No other medication or remedy worked. Since I've taken this, I have got the best sleep of my life. About 10 mins after taking the pill, I already start feeling loopy and tired. The only downside is that I wake up with a drug hangover and feel a little off for a few hours, but that's far better than being grouchy and sleep deprived."

aerodrel September 17, 2015

"Wow is all I can say... Within 30 minutes... I could feel the effects of the Ambien. Within 3 minutes of my head hitting my pillow. I was out like a damn light. I only woke up once in the middle of the night,and that was because my husband was moving around on the bed. But I went right back to sleep. This stuff has given me the best sleep I've had in WEEKS. Thank you!"

Pand0rahBear (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2015

"I experience insomnia in that my mind often does not "turn off," I tend to keep thinking once I lay down in bed. Over the counter sleep aids have been ineffective and leave me drowsy the day after. Ambien turns off my mind and I sleep well. Sometimes I wake up in about 5 to 6 hours, if I need a bit more sleep then I take a half pill (5 mg) for the remaining two extra hours of sleep that I need to feel well rested. I have had no side effects."

Mark Andrews August 30, 2015

"I wrote earlier, but wanted to add something about pumpkin seed oil. I have pelvic floor dysfunction from a hysterectomy, and my bladder plus IBS wakes me up all night - every 1.5 hours or so. Since I've been taking pumpkin seed oil (an organic brand) - a little over a teaspoon, I sleep much better. I hope to get off the Ambien eventually and just use the a Sleep Aid and the pumpkins seed oil."

Seashell Again August 25, 2015

"I take 5 or 10 mg depending on the day. I love this med. it shuts my mind off so i can sleep. I've tried cutting out caffeine using allergy meds herbal type sleep aides and Tylenol pm....the crap doesn't work. Ambien is only thing that's worked and I've never done anything dangerous or weird on it"

Vanise August 22, 2015

"This drug will knock you out for sure, but it has some really crazy side effects that I didn't think would actually happen to me, mainly doing stuff that I don't remember at all -- one night I made an extremely hefty online purchase and had no recollection of it. I also "drunk text" on Ambien, or otherwise say things verbally to people that I don't remember. This has happened a number of times and actually caused a lot of problems in my last relationship. I've woken up literally covered in food. It also worsened my depression. Not a great experience."

wfseam1 August 20, 2015

"LOVE IT! I have never had a side effect and look forward to bed which I no longer dread! I cut 5 mg, in half and if wake-up and can't get back to sleep take other half. Highly recommend,"

Just Jude August 17, 2015

"Ambien was not the drug for me. There were mental side effects that caused me to being depressed, and confusion about life interests. I was in the emergency room 4 times in one weekend after 2 months of taking ambien prescribed by my doctor to help me sleep. I will never take this drug again. !!"

ginger pops August 15, 2015

"I have been taking ambien for a month and a half. It does eventually help me to fall asleep but it comes with a couple of side effects. One of those side effect is I get very loopy and weird. Also I do not remember anything when I wake up from the time after I take ambien. I probably will not remember writing this review."

Govinda Chajulal is my name (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2015

"EXTREMELY addicting and after a while you need more AND more to sleep. Also, in mornings I would find cooked meals, tv and lights on, and scary time I found bicycle out front! !! STAY AWAY FROM THIS AND LANISTA."

Anonymous August 2, 2015

"Take it on an empty stomach, or it won't work. I have terrible insomnia and have been on it long-term. It still works after 15 years. It had some initial side effects, but they went away after a few months. It works very well, but I gave it eight stars only because you have to take on an empty stomach. If I eat a late dinner, I can count on it not working. Otherwise, it's the only medication that has helped me sleep. I take 15-20 mg per night."

pjryder75 July 16, 2015