Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Ambien

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

Review by I am 15 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've used Ambien for almost two years for my insomnia. It works very effectively.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2014 11:34 PM

Review by Militarywife12 (taken for less than 1 month):

Stayed up all night

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2014 10:47 PM

Review by Babyy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Yes, you will sleep. But you will also say and do some really weird things.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 28, 2014 7:28 PM

Review by K CELT (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been known to fix a meal, send texts and emails while still asleep. I have also had phone conversations and not remembered having them on waking.,

October 5, 2014 2:33 AM

Review by LadyLayne (taken for less than 1 month):

Some nights after taking the zolpidem I go right to sleep, and have sound, restful sleep for about 2-4hrs. Twice during my current bout of insomnia I have slept a full 10hrs after taking the zolpidem. I have had some positive experience, and some negative. However, I have bouts of insomnia once or twice a year; the past Zolpidem is worked really well, within few nights. I am not on week four of the insomnia, and three on the Zolpidem. I am working closely with my doctor.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2014 8:27 PM

Review by HKGirl (taken for less than 1 month):

When I got prescribed Ambien I started with 5mg and it worked but I only slept for 4 hrs. So the following night I took 10mg and I was asleep in no time and got a full 9hrs of sleep. Best night ever in years. I woke up feeling refreshed. Minor headache but I don't know if it was due to the Ambien. 1 Tylenol pill took it away so no biggie. This is the only sleep pill that has helped me. I tried Restroil and Seroquel and got no sleep only bad side effects. I love Ambien.

September 19, 2014 2:35 PM

Review by Bubsie (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It helped me sleep, but I did the most bizarre things while I should have been sleeping and had no memory of them the next day. I initiated sex with my husband twice and had no memory of doing so, called and order things that I had no use for to some shopping networks and even gave out my credit card numbers to open an account. This stuff scares me and I quit taking it. Worried what I could do next!

September 8, 2014 9:54 AM

Review by cannot sleep:

First 2 weeks it kept me asleep. 3rd week on I wake up with headaches and don't go back to sleep. Its 2 am and I'm wide awake.

September 4, 2014 3:14 AM

Review by John Marsh (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It helped me a lot. One pill and I sleep like a baby.

August 26, 2014 8:11 AM

Review by Morgan Danielle.:

I have GAD (generalized anxiety), post traumatic stress disorder and Bipolar. I've been on Seroquel for three years. I kept having to up it to help me sleep, as well as keeping away delusions and such. I was at the point where it wouldn't help me sleep at all. I'd take it at 10 and go to bed when the sun was coming up. I tried Ambien 10mg last night for the first time. I fell asleep in one hour. I was out! I slept a good 10 hours. Amen for Ambien.

June 7, 2014 10:25 PM

Review by Great, mild sleeping pill (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm 19 and suffer from bad insomnia. I've tried Benadryl, Unisom, even a different prescription sleeping pill, Restoril (temazepam). These all either didn't work or left me extremely groggy in the morning and throughout the day. Anyway, I was scheduled to study abroad and my worst fear the entire trip was not sleeping in a foreign atmosphere. My Dr. prescribed me a few weeks worth of Ambien 10 MG. I can't tell you how great this medication was. It drifted me off to a gentle, deep sleep and I stayed asleep for at least 7 hours. I woke up happy and refreshed In the morning; even energized! I took the high dose and did not experience any side effects or hallucinations. I was able to enjoy my trip.

June 2, 2014 6:04 AM

Review by Brittanyz123 (taken for 10 years or more):

I think it's great. I've been doing it for about 11 years, and it's one of the only medicine for insomnia that work for me.

May 18, 2014 3:31 AM

Review by FentanylBliss (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It works great putting me to sleep but it doesn't keep me asleep unfortunately. I only tend to get 2 hours of sleep or so.

May 7, 2014 7:32 PM

Review by Chelseymegan:

I was never able to sleep through the night until my doctor prescribed Ambien.

March 19, 2014 3:12 AM

Review by naybay91:

I can take 2 Ambien and be wide awake. I tried melatonin, ZZZ Quil, Unisom.. sometimes take my Valium at bedtime. My sleep cycle got messed up and I'm trying desperately to get it back.

March 18, 2014 2:08 AM

Review by epidoctor (taken for less than 1 month):

Works fine but the rebound insomnia can be awful. Used sparingly it can be a useful medicine. Once again, watch for the rebound insomnia.

March 12, 2014 12:07 AM

Review by insomiac:

I've had horrible insomnia since I was a child. Diagnosed with severe sleep apnea a few years ago. Ambien is not the holy grail. You build up a tolerance over the years but 12.5 is as high as most doctors will go ) from 10, 8 years ago). Pluses for Ambien - it will put you to sleep; no half-life so no grogginess in the morning. Minuses- it will put you to sleep but generally not keep you asleep. Thus the waking up wide awake at 3 a.m. There is now intermezzo - and sublingual 3.5 dose of Ambien meant for this problem - works for me 50% of the time- otherwise I just stay up. Another minus - if you take Ambien on a full stomach IT WILL NOT WORK. I generally eat before 5 and allow 5 hours before I take it. But in all - a savior!

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 3, 2014 12:44 AM

Review by DebbieGrateful (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Ambien has been a huge help to me. I have horrible hot flashes whenever I try to fall asleep and end up awake all night. When I take half an Ambien I am able to fall asleep and I do not feel tired or out of it the next day. I am so grateful for this medication. It's helped the quality of my life substantially. I've never experienced the side effects others mention, I simply fall asleep.

February 27, 2014 12:57 PM

Review by April angel (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I find plates/bowls with food on them in the night.

February 19, 2014 10:44 PM

Review by diva0226:

Great. Just take them 5 mins before bed.

February 17, 2014 12:30 AM

Review by Bad sleeper:

I have been taking Ambien on and off for 8 years for severe insomnia, mostly related to anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder. Over time my body has built up a dependence and a tolerance. I will lay awake till 5 am if I don't take it miserable and exhausted for days. The generic doesn't seen to work as well and since I have been on it so long I usually have to take 20mg to get a full nights sleep, but with certain generics I still wake up at 3am and can't go back to bed. It has been a God send over the years as I tried everything else. I was treated for depression but those medications made it harder to sleep. At some point I would like to stop being dependent on the medicine but every time I try to quit I go through weeks of with no sleep.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 4, 2014 6:19 AM

Review by gramasha (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Age 66 with advanced arthritis, multiple spinal stenosis, and degenerative disc disease. Awaken refreshed after 9+ hours without usual back or muscle pain. Dosage only 5 mg. Absolutely awesome! Only up to use restroom once or twice and able to go straight back to sleep. Only problem. Insurance limits me to 90/year. Yeah, only 1.7 nights a week do I get decent sleep and pain relief.

January 15, 2014 9:42 AM

Review by MistyLynn5:

I've been taking Ambien for about 8 years now due to chronic insomnia. Multiple medical issues have caused most of the problem with not sleeping. I already have 3 fusions in my neck (one of which is falling apart and causing a compressed spinal cord that my NS is trying to avoid further surgery on so that I don't have to have rods in addition to the screws and plates that are already in there) plus I have laminectomy from L2 to S1 with bulging discs, fibromyalgia, bone on bone arthritis in both knees and I also need both hips replaced. Oh, there are also a couple of bulging discs and bone spurs in my cervical spine in addition to the problems already mentioned. I have never had any side effects or trouble with the Ambien at all.

January 10, 2014 1:11 PM

Review by alzora:

I have fibromyalgia so I wake up in pain this allows me to rest.

January 10, 2014 9:14 AM

Review by phantom2jetpilot (taken for 10 years or more):

I have terrible chronic insomnia. I have safely taken this medication for over 12 years, with no significant side effects. Go to bed as soon as you take the medication. In my case the window for working is very short---7-10 minutes. If it hasn't helped me sleep by 15 minutes, it isn't going to help for that particular time. I would recommend this medication to anyone!

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2013 3:04 PM