User Reviews for Ambien

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien Review Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

"Be aware take this medication and immediately lay down !!!!!the first night I took this medication I was up apparently I don't remember !!!!so I was told, serving myself a shot ,eating, requested weird sexual favors,and was having conversations and answering myself,and had no memory of all these fun festivies the next day,lol,thanks ambien,lesson learned my boyfriend had a blast though!!!!!!!"

Anonymous June 23, 2015

" Really wonderful"

Dr. Brian (taken for 10 years or more) June 16, 2015

"I've been taking this medication on and off for over 3 years, and it has worked wonderfully. Just a third or half of a 5mg pill works for me. I have not experienced any side effects, but do go right to bed once I take the pill."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 8, 2015

"I love this stuff! It's improved my quality of life immensely. I used to wake up in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep. I now take 5 mg at bedtime, and I still wake up after about 4 hours, but then take another 5 mg (I cut the pill in half) and fall right back asleep for another 3 to 4 hours. I've been taking it for 2 years now, and still works as good today as the first day I took it!!"

John C. May 19, 2015

"Wow !!! If you are taking this med. take and lay down and close your eyes. You will say and do things and not remember a thing. For real ..."

Rebel Prepper (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 18, 2015

"Oh my gosh! Started taking this for shift work 6 years ago and now it's the only way I can sleep- only I don't any more! I went thru the hallucinations , the binge eating, the "oh my God, I bought what on ebay last night?" To waking up in some unusual places not knowing how I got there. It takes you through the coaster ride but the thrill is gone. Fitful nights, not more than 3 solid hours any more. I'm trying belsomra tomorrow night. Side effects sound scary, but so did ambien when I first heard about it. Not a cure all and it's only worth praising the 1st year or 2. Sucks when your sleep never comes...."

Denisemanger (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 16, 2015

"My father who has a neurological disorder was taking ambien and my family had 2 terrifying experiences. The first time my dad got up and fell several times and was completly unresponsive, he could not speak and we had thought that he had a stroke. Next time he took it I woke up in the middle of the night to a huge bang finding him in the kitchen with a gash on his forehead. The even scarier thing is he never recalled any of these things. I'm not sure on the dosage but I don't recommend to anyone!"

Daughter123456 May 6, 2015

"Helps put my mind in a blank slate. My mind is constantly running all the time, everyday. When nighttime approaches, I can't shut my mind off. I have a fear of initially sleeping. I also use it for nights of when I have really bad anxiety, depression, or panic. It calms me down, and soothes me. I no longer have any worries. It helps me get to sleep easy, and really sedates me. I love those aspects."

etherealmoon (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 28, 2015

"I was in a horrible car crash Sept. 7th 2014, I was air cared to UC, I was in ICU for 9 days and remained hospitalized 3 months. I never used to have trouble going to sleep but since my accident I will lay in bed hours, on really bad nights sometimes its all night, with my eyes closed trying to fall asleep but I just can't. I believe being on a dilaudid drip for so long during my hospital stay then morphine and oxycodone for a while plays a big role in my sudden insomnia, also I was diagnosed with GAD 6 years ago which I'm sure sometimes adds to my trouble sleeping. ZzzQuil or Benadryl helped some at first but now neither help at all. Finally was given Zolpidem 10mg and I LOVE it, I fall asleep and sleep all night. Definitely recommend it!"

RanOutOfSheepToCount (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2015

"Awesome. I have terrible insomnia. This helps me get a decent nights rest as I care for a disabled parent=bedbownd and wheelchair. I get a good nights sleep and both of our days are more productive."

winston the wonder PUPPY (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2015

"Works great"

vandekamp (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2015

"No sleep as yet, 10mg Ambien last night 20 tonight! Last night I fell asleep after about 4 hours (normal for me with or without meds) I woke up fealing really rather strange, lethargic almost. Passes after 2-3hours with coffee! tonight on 20mg it's been 3 hours so far! Light headache very restless."

Marty922 (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2015

"I went from working nights (3:30pm-12:00am) to working 7am-3:30. I would keep thinking all night and I couldn't shut my brain off. I have always had problems with insomnia, so much so that some times I would stay up for days at a time. I was prescribed Ambien by my doctor and I started taking it at night. It worked. The first time I took it I started hallucinating. I saw two of everything and I couldn't hold my head up. I woke up and felt fine. So I kept taking it. Slowly I started getting very sad as I woke up. I thought about doing terrible things to myself. After being awake for a couple hours I was fine. This drug made me very depressed. I never abused this medication. I was very careful. Effects are different for everyone."

AshleyD14 March 26, 2015

"I have never experienced any hallucinogenic side effects from this drug, but I admit I've developed a nasty dependency to 100 mgs/night. It is the only sleep aid that doesn't give me cotton mouth or drowsiness the next day and works like a charm every single time. Nothing even comes close to its effectiveness. Note: It IS imperative that you take it at once you are in bed and ready to sleep. After that you aren't going anywhere, no sleep walking, driving or binge eating."

LTrain (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 23, 2015

"This medicine helped me to fall asleep after a solid week without sleep. However, I did not stay asleep. Going to try Lunesta tonight."

KimAMS March 21, 2015

"Due to a painful disability the only way to sleep is with the use of Ambien. I give Ambien a two thumbs up, AAA , it works terrific for me."

jerseyjim (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 11, 2015

"I have been taking Ambien every night for a over 20 years. I am a nurse and it's very difficult to work swing shift and teach yourself to sleep whenever ..esp if you suffer from insomnia. I have had insomnia since a child, probably sleep walking. Sleep eating prior to taking the medicine. Now that I have it ..my life has improved 200 percent .No one can imaging how disturbing it is to lie in bed for 8 hours wide awake ...knowing you have work soon. When I first took it, I was groggy in the morning ..but now as long as I get 8 hours I wake up feeling awake and amazing ..never grew a tolerance for it. Always works. I will say when I had children under 5 ..I would never take it ...not safe ..when you are caring for others .this med saved me."

Debbieformola February 1, 2015

"It works to put me asleep, too well! I was told by my husband that I was doing stuff I don't remember doing. One time I became sexually aggressive and last night, I didn't recognize my husband and was doing stuff totally off the wall. I will not be taking it again!"

craftygrammy (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 21, 2015

"Ditto on rebound sleepless when discontinued. I have done very strange things with no memory including taking additional Ambien. It has helped me sleep when under extreme stress but watch out. Now I am trying to learn how to sleep naturally."

LouLaBell January 13, 2015

"Works splendidly when first prescribed but over time loses it's effectiveness and one develops a tolerance to it's effectiveness. Due to it's short half-life in the body, it peters out quite quickly ( /- 2 hours). Would not recommend long-term treatment with this medicine (>6 months)."

Quaalude (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 9, 2015

"Extremely effective until I developed a tolerance. Unfortunately, it was accompanied by "sleep-shopping" on Ebay."

jeffreydbrown (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 20, 2014

"I have used this medicine off and on for 7 years. All of you who have issues with doing things that you don't remember need to be sure that you are taking it properly. I have been there and my 24 year old daughter still laughs at the things I have no memory of.. and I own several things I bought at 2 am. Finally two years ago I found a physician who took the time to explain how this medicine works and it changed everything. You must be lying in bed, "ready to go to sleep", with no lights on at all. Ambien shuts down part of your brain and if you are not waiting to fall asleep lying in bed then after you take it the chemical reaction that allows you to fall asleep so easily also keeps you from remembering things you do. Take it properly."

Rhonda YC (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 8, 2014

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Ambien works. Not because it's a sleep aid but because it's a HYPNOTIC. Which means if you don't want amnesia then get yourself straight to bed after taking it. It kicks in in 5-10 mins and may or may not keep you asleep all night. But those of you complaining of eating, etc and having no memory of what you did is very simple: taking a HYPNOTIC while you're still up and showering or whatever is going to make you do stupid things you won't remember. Just take it AFTER you lay down, turn off your phone, and you'll be fine."

Anonymous777333 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 4, 2014

"I've used Ambien for almost two years for my insomnia. It works very effectively."

I am 15 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 4, 2014