User Reviews for Ambien

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 111 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

"My psychiatrist prescribed me 5mg of Ambien to help with insomnia. I take it 3-5 nights a week (typically 3) and found it very helpful in the beginning. Now, I can take it and not feel a thing. I have considered asking my psychiatrist for a slightly higher dosage."

Sleepless in the Midwest May 1, 2016

"I have had a great experience with this medicine. I sleep through the night on it, wake up rested and free of any hangover, and it doesn't knock me out like benedryl does. I feel like I get a natural sleep. I've never experienced the night time issues that some have mentioned and have never experienced nightmares or vivid dreams as I have with other medicines."

Wes79 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 22, 2016

"Have bad insomnia. Been on Ambien for 10 years now. I decreased my dose to only 3 mg about 5 years ago. All I need is to get to sleep. Anxiety prevents that. So Ambien works great for me. I have never had any bad effects at all with this drug. No after effects. Wake up refreshed. I have had instances where it doesn't work, if I am in a bad anxious state. But usually I take it right before bed. I don't delay at all because it is pretty fast working. Hope and pray there are no long term effects like Alzheimers. So far I have no memory problems. I am 74. I need sleep. It's that simple. Feel awful when I don't sleep. I do try not to take it every night. Go off for days in between. Try and go weeks if I can. So far that's working for me."

hilborn (taken for 10 years or more) April 22, 2016

"It works and it's ability hasn't diminished with use or time. I can get to sleep every single time I take this drug and it always only takes 2 pills. That is a lot more than I can say for any sleep drug I've ever taken. The downside is that if I don't go to sleep as soon as I feel it kick in, I will do some very, very strange things that I can only slightly remember if I remember at all."

ihavemigraines (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

"I took Ambien awhile back for insomnia. Within 20 minutes I was out. Woke up refreshed after 6 - 8 hours. Caution: for me, it was addicting and I could not sleep without it. Also for me, I would not remember activities I may or may not have done the night before. Unplug your phone, you may regret who you call and the conversation you had. I cannot take Ambien for those reasons, but it did work for getting to sleep!"

Knocked Out April 14, 2016

"I've been taking ambien for over 6 years. It helps me sleep and I can sleep 6 hrs and felt like I slept 10 hrs only bad thing is once commit to taking ambien I can't be bothered cuz I won't remember so I usually lock my self down but it is a very helpful drug"

Chucky1508 March 31, 2016

"Wow, I guess I'm in the minority because I found that Ambien was completely worthless for me. I tried 5mg, 10mg, & even 15mg & never could fall asleep. Didn't even feel tired. Seriously, it was like a sugar pill. I don't know why so many people like this stuff...I guess my brain is different from everyone else's...story of my life!"

Chronic Insomniac (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

"I've been sick for the past week, and because of that I cut out my nightly glass of brandy - figured it was time to start cutting out certain unhealthy vices. I primarily used the brandy as a sleep aid right before bed (just one glass). Since doing so, however, I've been waking up several times a night. So, I asked my mom if I could take a small piece of one of her Ambien - about 1/4 of a pill. After about 15 minutes my eyelids were heavy, and I don't remember actually going to sleep. It's more like I just blacked out. Today (the morning after) I didn't wake up until after 11 a.m. Just for context, I went to bed around 11 p.m. As I write this, it is almost 4 p.m. and I'm still extremely groggy and lethargic, along with dehydrated and cranky"

Stephanie W. (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

"I was prescribed Ambien following an accident I had at work, I couldn't sleep due to extreme pain in lower back. I've been using 5mg for the past 5 yrs. Craziest stuff I've ever done in my life while on Ambien was order some exercising CD's at 4am and not remembering the next morning what I had done, like I had been in the twilight zone. Trying to cancel stuff that I ordered and explain to these telemarketers that I'm on medication and don't recall what I even say prompted me to lock my credit cards at night. I'd rather get 4-5 hrs of sleep than no sleep at all. My lower back pain remains low, mild exercise no hot abs for me."

ViAnSu2016 March 7, 2016

"Simple, I started taking Ambien in 2001 when it was prescribed for me by my orthopedic MD for a swollen knee so I could sleep, then I found out it was not habit forming, other than psychological. I am a professor and I have trouble shutting down my mind at night. I have used it daily since that time, never have needed more than 5-10mg, never sleep walk, do my best work in the morning at my office before classes, have gone a few days when I have run out and am not somewhere I can refill. Doesn't worry me, I just accept I am not going to sleep well and I don't, but I sleep some. I don't get anxious about it. I am now 71, still teaching full time, no sign of weak bones. Why on earth would I want to stop taking Ambien?"

Nax February 19, 2016

"I was diagnosed with Chronic Insomnia about 5 months ago. Doctor prescribed Ambien. It works wonders. I discovered that for me, once I take it, I cannot communicate on any social media websites, because the next day when I go back and read what I wrote, it's a bunch of gibberish. My routine, I take an Ambien, get in the bed and read a little, before I know it, I'm waking up in the morning not realizing I even feel asleep. My only issue is, the pills are prescribed in bottles of 21 pills, one bottle with two additional refills. If I don't schedule my follow - up Sleep Appointment right, I'll be stuck with a few days with no medicine like I am now while typing this, lol. It is after 12 am and I'm WIDE AWAKE."

SleeplessInSanAntonio February 8, 2016

"I've been taking Ambien (10mg) off and on for years. It tends to stop working if I start taking it too often, so I have to take breaks from it periodically. That's the only negative thing I have to say about it. When it works, it works perfectly and I've experienced no side effects."

Serene Celine (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2016

"It is a good cure long as you don't abuse your meds and it will help your sleeping. No problems. Simple as that. Night all."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2016

"I was admitted to a hospital cardiac care unit following an MI. I received Ambien and woke up from sleep profoundly confused and hostile. I ripped out of my arms and legs all the IV and EKG leads, and then left my bed, marching to the double doors of the CCU. Female nurses were screaming, for I was naked and bloody from the leads being torn away from my body. The bravest man I ever met was a young CNA who stepped in front of me, telling me "You cannot leave the CCU." Considerably shorter and lighter than me, his action was totally courageous, given that I was in a temporary, drug-induced altered mental state. I recall only vaguely warning him that I would throw him against the wall if he blocked me. I awakened, embarrassed, ashamed."

VERDANT71 January 31, 2016

"I have been taking this drug for about 4 years. Went in depression anxiety, and chronic insomnia. I take 5 mg when I do take it and it works very well for me. I have never experienced any of the horror stories that others have. It immediately improved my mood, depression and anxiety as it finally allowed me to sleep. I try not to take it more than 3 times a week to avoid dependency on it. Sometimes I go weeks without it, sometimes 2 weeks straight on it due to situational anxiety."

Sleepless in Detroit (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2016

"Have had sleep problems last 10 years or so. Went to sleep clinic, apparently I do not fall into deep sleep stage. Doctor put me on Ambien 5mg. Wonderful. I slept all night and felt great next day! Fast forward 4 months. End up being tested for Lupus, Lyme disease and bloodwork galore because of muscle and joint pain that would show up in different places and I was suffering EXTREME tiredness and weakness during day. All tests negative so doctor wanted me to stop taking Ambien and switched me to trazadone. Been a week now. So far so good but insomnia is back. Will NOT be continuing trazadone. Causing excessive pvc's and feels like my heart is going to burst out of my chest. Does NOT help me sleep even a little. Sad about the Ambien."

Bassett eyes January 22, 2016

"Ambien definitely puts me to sleep quickly and keeps me asleep. However, it has made me do crazy things without remembering the next morning. I have taken more than the recommended dose while sleep walking, cut 3 inches off my hair, drove my car, many different things. I would love this medicine if I just didn't act crazy because it really does work."

Alison3312 January 13, 2016

"I was prescribed this drug in my early teen years and it worked wonders at first. Not, at 20 years old it doesn't work AT ALL. I will sometimes have to take 2 pills at night and I will still wake up 3 hours later. I guess I built up a tolerance but I will be switching medicines. Plus I would find myself in the kitchen eating every night, and one had a blender out about to make margaritas.... This is definitely not a long term drug."

Hollymolly (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 12, 2016

"If you take this right before you're going to bed you'll be fine. Don't take it when you still have stuff to do. I take ambien and Zoloft every night right when I'm getting into bed. It doesn't knock me out or anything but it does help me fall asleep faster and stay asleep for more hours."

AsM081 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2016

"You can do things and not remember them. You will tell awful stories about squirrels jumping out of glass boxes, and say things to your spouse/significant other you don't mean if you try to TALK while on this drug. So by all means do not take until the very last thing before sleep, i.e. you are in bed, ready for sleep. It kicks in super fast and you won't know what hit you. You only get 5 to 6 hours of sleep on Ambien but you feel rested with no druggie zombie after feeling. Note to single parents taking this drug: you will be worthless in an emergency situation and helpless to assist your children in a fire, a break-in, a trip to the ER at 1 a.m. (never drive on this drug!!!)"

ErinF.70 December 27, 2015

"I was prescribed this by my doctor as a result of being bi-polar and being up for days on end. Ambien is definitely a tremendous sleep inducer. After a few minutes you wouldn't know if you were dead or alive. I was probably on 5 mg for about a year. When I was on a bi-polar "high" I could three pills and only sleep a couple of hours. I often felt groggy or drugged the next day using this product. I quit taking this product as a result of weird and unexplained behavior. One time I woke up with no clothes on and couldn't find them. I never slept naked bcuz I was single and had a 17 year old. Scary stuff. u don't know what ur doing on this stuff."

ScarySleeper (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 18, 2015

"Taking ambien as (exactly) prescribed has been a tremendous help to me. I get sleep, without waking up several times a night. I feel refreshed for a day of anything!"

CRYSTALBALL2418 December 15, 2015

"My parents have taken this drug for over 20 years since I was a child. They did some weird things and got in 2 bad car accidents over it. You do have bad memory loss with it and it is life changing with relationships with other people. I wrote this review though to let people know that it is EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE AND HABIT FORMING. I took 10 mg one night after a surgery to sleep and then wasn't able to sleep at all for 2 days (withdrawal), everyone I've asked has said the same thing. It does give you the munchies to the extreme IKN why. If you plan in taking this medication know what your getting into and try something else first before starting this. It will be costly in the long run."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) December 13, 2015

"Had started to experience insomnia about ten years ago after a shoulder injury, even after that healed I had a horrible time getting to sleep, I could not turn my mind off. I was prescribed this medication and had some initial side effects but the medication works for me. I think I have became addicted to it, there have been some days I did not take it or could not afford it and when that happened I could not fall asleep. Ambien gives me a good night's rest and I wake up feeling refreshed."

Trenchycoat December 11, 2015

"I was put on Ambien because of my anxiety and depression, I wasn't able to sleep more than an hour or 2 a night. I took the Ambien 5mg for about a week and I had horrible indigestion the whole time and on top of that I still only slept 4-5 hours a night tops. And I have been off them for almost a week and I'm still having horrible stomach pains and possibly a swollen liver."

SolaireOfAstora (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2015