User Reviews for Zolpidem

Also known as: Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar, Intermezzo, Zolpimist

Learn more about Zolpidem.

Insomnia 441 reviews 102 medications

7.6
Summary of Zolpidem reviews 441 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Zolpidem

Review by melza30:

For Insomnia: I suffer from insomnia pretty bad. I can fall asleep easily but by 1 or 1:30, I'm wide awake. I worked in a bakery for 8 years and recently had to quit, I couldn't function like a normal person anymore. I saw several doctors and psychiatrists, all who at one point or another, prescribed me Ambien. I had some pretty weird episodes on this medicine. I would get up and rearrange cabinets, naked, in the middle of the night. My husband got very upset with me. I found a great doctor who finally diagnosed me with bipolar II, with a little OCD and depression. My medicines are where I like them and he prescribed me Lunesta. This is a much better sleep aid and I am finally sleeping a full night.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2011 3:28 PM

Review by Sleepy Woman:

For Insomnia: My insurance won't cover the brand name so I'm taking the generic. I have had awful insomnia lately and I tried other medications that had really weird side effects so I had to stop taking them. With the generic zolpidem I found that it works only if I'm not over tired. I could sleep 9 hours straight but I am still tired, maybe because of personal problems. When it works it's great but when it doesn't then I am up most of the night.

October 13, 2011 12:25 AM

Zolpimist (zolpidem) for Insomnia: It seems not to work all that well for me. It calms me some but I still can't seem to fall asleep nor stay asleep!

October 10, 2011 11:46 PM

Review by Context:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I've tried several options, over the counter, homeopathic, and prescription in a quest to deal with transient insomnia which typically triggers a worsened depressive mood (kind of a negative feedback loop). Ambien was one of the first I tried. It works very quickly, has very little hangover, but did not always KEEP me asleep. I usually wake around 4. The bad: tolerance, "sleepwalking," waking up in my roommates bed with no memory of how I got there. Be cautious, if you live with other people let them know you're suffering from insomnia and that you are taking this medicine. My roommates reported me seeming completely coherent while sleepwalking%u2014 it can be more problematic than mere "sleepwalking."

October 7, 2011 12:38 AM

Ambien CR (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have taken Ambien CR 12.5 mg for about 2 years off and on. This product works great for my insomnia, but as other users have stated, I have experienced episodes of sleep walking, making random phone calls, texting, cooking and having wild sex with my husband without any memory of it all. My suggestion is that you take the pill and go straight to bed to lessen the chances of sleep walking; However, you still run the risk of doing strange things anyway. Other than the sleepwalking, Ambien has given me the best sleep 7-8 hours of sleep of my life.

October 3, 2011 9:50 AM

Review by HOSINFEFR:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Last year I came home from work, only to be questioned by my wife as to where I went the night before. To make a long story shorter, I took an ambien to go to sleep; woke up an hour and a half later. I showered, shaved, got dressed, made a phone call and then got in my car and was gone for two hours. I remembered absolutely nothing. The only reason I believed my wife was because I checked my cell phone and I did in fact make a call. The person I called said I sounded insane and hung up on me. The next day I saw a doctor and he said that he sees this happen all the time.

September 27, 2011 9:24 PM

Review by Susie C.:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I've taken Ambien for insomnia off an on over several years. I love it! Works great mostly. Sometimes I have the side effects not remembering what I had done while on it. My husband says, I always look at my phone and freak out or freak out about my skin, I tell him it looks so strange. I never remember it of course. I still use it. I wake up rested.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2011 1:10 AM

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I don't have the typical insomnia. I can fall asleep (very easily, so easily I've almost considered myself to be slightly narcoleptic). But I can't stay asleep, and I don't fall into that deep sleep that you're supposed to. I wake up several times a night and even though I can fall right back to sleep, if you're not getting "restful sleep" then you're going to be tired. Ambien knocks me out! I take 10 mg. I am a 230lb female so I need the 10mg to sleep for 7 to 8 hours. Sometimes if I am just exhausted I can break it in half and sleep fine. But 10mg is perfect for me. But I am co-dependent on it now. I don't mind it so much. It's nice to know I will be rested after going to bed at 10pm and waking up at 6am.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2011 9:46 PM

Review by scooter1679:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Gets you to sleep every time. Don't wake up throughout the night. No sleeping pill hangover effect. Never experienced any bad side effects.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2011 4:09 AM

For Insomnia: Started zolpidem for insomnia due to anxiety from a cancer diagnosis. Prior to this time, I had no sleep problems. I started with 10mg, two nights in a row, but it had NO effect. The next night, I tried one and a half pills (15mg), which worked GREAT, but I could barely get out of bed after 8 hours of sleep. I figured out that I could take 10mg about an hour before bedtime and a half pill at bedtime and get 9 hours of great sleep and no problems getting out of bed in the morning. HOWEVER, after about 1 week I discovered NOTABLE memory loss, particularly with occasionally searching for words. I once came home from work and saw a note I had apparently written to my wife that morning, but didn't remember writing. Decided to switch medicines.

September 16, 2011 8:33 PM

Review by ivy9494:

For Insomnia: I've been on Ambien for years; no problems. I'm 6 months out from having gastric bypass surgery. Two months ago, I started waking up in the night - restless, agitated, heart pounding, feeling like I couldn't get a deep breath of air so I could relax, racing thoughts..., horrible! Then started doing strange things in sleep (eating, no recollections of having done certain things). Quit taking Ambien per doc's recommendation but now I can only sleep 2-3 hours a night. Have tried herbal supplements with no luck. Think I'm going to try Ambien again. Maybe 5mg at bedtime, and another 5mg when I wake up accompanied with a Xanax. Hope it works!

September 11, 2011 9:35 PM

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I haven't had a good night sleep in 20 years. I was in the hospital for spine surgery when they gave AMbien to me to help me sleep. I have tried about every sleeping pill over the counter prescribed but did nothing but Ambien worked great. The only side effect I have had is walking in my sleep. Haven't had anything happen other than waking up on the couch, but feel better and a lot more energy. It is great.

September 10, 2011 2:18 PM

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: It worked great for the first few weeks. I didn't take it every night, just the nights where I was having a hard time falling asleep. The problems stared one night when I was seeing people in my closet and my furniture seemed to be falling on top of my bed. I tired taking it again and I fell right asleep. A week later I began seeing Gummy Bears jumping around my room and on my bed. I went back to my doctor and told her I was seeing things and she said it was common. I stayed on the Ambien, until one night my boyfriend told me that I was sitting up in bed with my eyes open, acting as if I was at work. Typing in the air and I began scratching his skin very hard. I woke up in the morning NOT remembering a single thing. Haven't taken it since then.

September 7, 2011 11:43 AM

Review by bipolar becky:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: For the first time I can get to sleep every night. It usually gives me about 5 hours of sleep, and if I wake up and take about 0.15 Klonopin, I can go back to sleep for another 3 hours. Feel rested for the first time in years! I don't take it until I am absolutely ready to lay down in bed, then lay down and think happy thoughts to carry with me to dream land. Previously, due to bipolar insomnia, I would take tons of Nyquil, Benadryl, Sominex, l-tyrosine, melatonin that only gave me a few hours sleep and I'd wake up and take more pills. For years I couldn't sleep in a bed but would wander through the house at night trying to get comfortable on the floor, etc. as my husband just bumping me would wake me up. I thank you Ambien!

September 7, 2011 10:27 AM

Review by cinsy:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have been taking Ambien for about 6 or 7 years. I have been an insomniac since I was a teen. At first I would take my 10 mg and fall asleep in about 25 minutes. I would sleep through most of night but when it was time for alarm to go off to wake up kids and take them to school I would still wake up before the alarm went off, wide awake no groggy feeling at all. After taking it for a year it would take 1 1/2 hours to kick in which I would not remember anything. Then 4 yrs ago our 10yr old daughter died in an accident and Ambien became a God send. I have been able to sleep the last 4yrs away and Ambien has graciously taken my memories during that time so I can make it day by day. I can honestly say without Ambien I would not still be here.

September 6, 2011 3:24 AM

Ambien CR (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Well I have been on Ambien CR 12.5 mg for close to 6 years now and absolutely love it. I think it is the best thing since sliced bread. I developed insomnia when I started doing shift work and tried everything under the sun starting with melatonin, Benadryl, Restoril and all the new ones that have come out since and although some were helpful with helping me fall asleep, they did not keep me asleep past the 3-4 hour mark..so the Ambient CR has been great for me.

September 5, 2011 2:30 AM

Review by Bonnieplus3:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have major insomnia due to other medications I am required to take. Doctor has me taking 30mg of Ambien before bed. It is GREAT for helping me to fall asleep but it does not keep me asleep.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2011 9:46 AM

Edluar (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Edluar has worked better than anything I've tried. It works fast and I'm even dreaming again, which I wasn't with a few others. I actually break mine in half and only take a half dose. Still works great. Taste is not bad. Have had some issues with availability though. I hope they're not taking it off the market.

August 19, 2011 1:35 AM

Review by Pinksugarbaby:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have read so many things and do not know what to believe. I have post traumatic stress disorder and have taken sleep aides from the health food store which left me with Vertigo and not feeling well. I have not had any of the usual side effects with Ambien and it leaves me refreshed however I do have one weird side effect and I was not sure at first if it was the Ambien. But it is. I am usually a person who is cold and likes the heat. But I have gotten heat sick several times and living in NYC where there is no air and we are constantly having heat waves it has made me sensitive to heat. I am super sensitive and usually if there is a side effect to be had I get it but really I have not had anything except the heat exhaustion. I mean sweating, etc.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 10, 2011 5:19 PM

Review by SleeplessinMV:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I've been using Ambien for a of couple months now, only taking it a few times a week when I think I'm going to need a good nights sleep. My sleep issue was that I'd wake up at around 1:30am and not be able to fall back asleep. When I take an Ambien I fall asleep about 45 minutes after taking it, and don't wake up until my alarm comes on. I only use it when I know I'll have trouble sleeping (like Monday Mornings and I've never experienced any weird behaviors like others I've read about.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2011 3:59 PM

Review by lahtnesor:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I'm 63 years old and suffer from insomnia and pain from bulging and herniated discs and have undergone three discectomy surgeries. I have been taking Ambien for many years and started with the name brand (10mg) while also trying Ambien CR (12.5mg), then Lunesta, and then back to generic Ambien (10mg). This generic version has been working very well for several years allowing me to get a full night's sleep without any side effects and it usually acts quickly.

July 23, 2011 2:49 AM

For Insomnia: This is a God send. I can't shut my mind up when trying to go to bed. As long as I go to bed within 45 minutes of taking the pill, I only need to take a half of a pill, 5mg., maybe every two weeks I'll have to take the half if I stay up too long. No groggy wake up, to be honest, I don't think I've had any side effects or strange experiences. I've been taking them for about 5 years with the same dosage and I'm a beer drinker and it doesn't seem to effect them.

July 18, 2011 12:51 AM

Zolpimist (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Works quickly and I sleep well. Fast acting. Amazing.

July 6, 2011 5:30 PM

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I've been on Ambien for 2 years now and I wouldn't have it any other way. I've been an insomniac all my life and Ambien is a miracle cure. My husband and kids absolutely hate it because they say I'm a totally different person when I'm on it. I never have recollection of anything and I don't think it's fair that they blame me for something I don't even know I'm doing. All I know is the sleep is excellent and if you're considering this medicine it's good to have someone nearby who's a light sleeper.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2011 11:35 PM

For Insomnia: I don't always stay asleep through the night, but enough that I'd say it is worth it. I have had some odd experiences while taking this medication. I experienced sleep eating, sleep online shopping, sleep talking on the phone. Completely bizarre! These things can be easily avoided now I am aware it happens. I have been taking this for about 2 years and have had no addictive issues with this medication. It is the only thing that works outside of the benzodiazepines, which are addictive.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate