User Reviews for Zolpidem

Also known as: Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar, Intermezzo, Zolpimist

Learn more about Zolpidem.

Insomnia 432 reviews 100 medications

7.6
Summary of Zolpidem reviews 432 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Zolpidem

For Insomnia: Started zolpidem for insomnia due to anxiety from a cancer diagnosis. Prior to this time, I had no sleep problems. I started with 10mg, two nights in a row, but it had NO effect. The next night, I tried one and a half pills (15mg), which worked GREAT, but I could barely get out of bed after 8 hours of sleep. I figured out that I could take 10mg about an hour before bedtime and a half pill at bedtime and get 9 hours of great sleep and no problems getting out of bed in the morning. HOWEVER, after about 1 week I discovered NOTABLE memory loss, particularly with occasionally searching for words. I once came home from work and saw a note I had apparently written to my wife that morning, but didn't remember writing. Decided to switch medicines.

September 16, 2011 8:33 PM

Review by ivy9494:

For Insomnia: I've been on Ambien for years; no problems. I'm 6 months out from having gastric bypass surgery. Two months ago, I started waking up in the night - restless, agitated, heart pounding, feeling like I couldn't get a deep breath of air so I could relax, racing thoughts..., horrible! Then started doing strange things in sleep (eating, no recollections of having done certain things). Quit taking Ambien per doc's recommendation but now I can only sleep 2-3 hours a night. Have tried herbal supplements with no luck. Think I'm going to try Ambien again. Maybe 5mg at bedtime, and another 5mg when I wake up accompanied with a Xanax. Hope it works!

September 11, 2011 9:35 PM

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I haven't had a good night sleep in 20 years. I was in the hospital for spine surgery when they gave AMbien to me to help me sleep. I have tried about every sleeping pill over the counter prescribed but did nothing but Ambien worked great. The only side effect I have had is walking in my sleep. Haven't had anything happen other than waking up on the couch, but feel better and a lot more energy. It is great.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2011 2:18 PM

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: It worked great for the first few weeks. I didn't take it every night, just the nights where I was having a hard time falling asleep. The problems stared one night when I was seeing people in my closet and my furniture seemed to be falling on top of my bed. I tired taking it again and I fell right asleep. A week later I began seeing Gummy Bears jumping around my room and on my bed. I went back to my doctor and told her I was seeing things and she said it was common. I stayed on the Ambien, until one night my boyfriend told me that I was sitting up in bed with my eyes open, acting as if I was at work. Typing in the air and I began scratching his skin very hard. I woke up in the morning NOT remembering a single thing. Haven't taken it since then.

September 7, 2011 11:43 AM

Review by bipolar becky:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: For the first time I can get to sleep every night. It usually gives me about 5 hours of sleep, and if I wake up and take about 0.15 Klonopin, I can go back to sleep for another 3 hours. Feel rested for the first time in years! I don't take it until I am absolutely ready to lay down in bed, then lay down and think happy thoughts to carry with me to dream land. Previously, due to bipolar insomnia, I would take tons of Nyquil, Benadryl, Sominex, l-tyrosine, melatonin that only gave me a few hours sleep and I'd wake up and take more pills. For years I couldn't sleep in a bed but would wander through the house at night trying to get comfortable on the floor, etc. as my husband just bumping me would wake me up. I thank you Ambien!

September 7, 2011 10:27 AM

Review by cinsy:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have been taking Ambien for about 6 or 7 years. I have been an insomniac since I was a teen. At first I would take my 10 mg and fall asleep in about 25 minutes. I would sleep through most of night but when it was time for alarm to go off to wake up kids and take them to school I would still wake up before the alarm went off, wide awake no groggy feeling at all. After taking it for a year it would take 1 1/2 hours to kick in which I would not remember anything. Then 4 yrs ago our 10yr old daughter died in an accident and Ambien became a God send. I have been able to sleep the last 4yrs away and Ambien has graciously taken my memories during that time so I can make it day by day. I can honestly say without Ambien I would not still be here.

September 6, 2011 3:24 AM

Ambien CR (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Well I have been on Ambien CR 12.5 mg for close to 6 years now and absolutely love it. I think it is the best thing since sliced bread. I developed insomnia when I started doing shift work and tried everything under the sun starting with melatonin, Benadryl, Restoril and all the new ones that have come out since and although some were helpful with helping me fall asleep, they did not keep me asleep past the 3-4 hour mark..so the Ambient CR has been great for me.

September 5, 2011 2:30 AM

Review by Bonnieplus3:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have major insomnia due to other medications I am required to take. Doctor has me taking 30mg of Ambien before bed. It is GREAT for helping me to fall asleep but it does not keep me asleep.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2011 9:46 AM

Edluar (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Edluar has worked better than anything I've tried. It works fast and I'm even dreaming again, which I wasn't with a few others. I actually break mine in half and only take a half dose. Still works great. Taste is not bad. Have had some issues with availability though. I hope they're not taking it off the market.

August 19, 2011 1:35 AM

Review by Pinksugarbaby:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have read so many things and do not know what to believe. I have post traumatic stress disorder and have taken sleep aides from the health food store which left me with Vertigo and not feeling well. I have not had any of the usual side effects with Ambien and it leaves me refreshed however I do have one weird side effect and I was not sure at first if it was the Ambien. But it is. I am usually a person who is cold and likes the heat. But I have gotten heat sick several times and living in NYC where there is no air and we are constantly having heat waves it has made me sensitive to heat. I am super sensitive and usually if there is a side effect to be had I get it but really I have not had anything except the heat exhaustion. I mean sweating, etc.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 10, 2011 5:19 PM

Review by SleeplessinMV:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I've been using Ambien for a of couple months now, only taking it a few times a week when I think I'm going to need a good nights sleep. My sleep issue was that I'd wake up at around 1:30am and not be able to fall back asleep. When I take an Ambien I fall asleep about 45 minutes after taking it, and don't wake up until my alarm comes on. I only use it when I know I'll have trouble sleeping (like Monday Mornings and I've never experienced any weird behaviors like others I've read about.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2011 3:59 PM

Review by lahtnesor:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I'm 63 years old and suffer from insomnia and pain from bulging and herniated discs and have undergone three discectomy surgeries. I have been taking Ambien for many years and started with the name brand (10mg) while also trying Ambien CR (12.5mg), then Lunesta, and then back to generic Ambien (10mg). This generic version has been working very well for several years allowing me to get a full night's sleep without any side effects and it usually acts quickly.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2011 2:49 AM

For Insomnia: This is a God send. I can't shut my mind up when trying to go to bed. As long as I go to bed within 45 minutes of taking the pill, I only need to take a half of a pill, 5mg., maybe every two weeks I'll have to take the half if I stay up too long. No groggy wake up, to be honest, I don't think I've had any side effects or strange experiences. I've been taking them for about 5 years with the same dosage and I'm a beer drinker and it doesn't seem to effect them.

July 18, 2011 12:51 AM

Zolpimist (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Works quickly and I sleep well. Fast acting. Amazing.

July 6, 2011 5:30 PM

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I've been on Ambien for 2 years now and I wouldn't have it any other way. I've been an insomniac all my life and Ambien is a miracle cure. My husband and kids absolutely hate it because they say I'm a totally different person when I'm on it. I never have recollection of anything and I don't think it's fair that they blame me for something I don't even know I'm doing. All I know is the sleep is excellent and if you're considering this medicine it's good to have someone nearby who's a light sleeper.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2011 11:35 PM

For Insomnia: I don't always stay asleep through the night, but enough that I'd say it is worth it. I have had some odd experiences while taking this medication. I experienced sleep eating, sleep online shopping, sleep talking on the phone. Completely bizarre! These things can be easily avoided now I am aware it happens. I have been taking this for about 2 years and have had no addictive issues with this medication. It is the only thing that works outside of the benzodiazepines, which are addictive.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 25, 2011 12:23 AM

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Ambien works well for me, I take 5 mg. Some nights if husband is snoring very loud I need 10 mg. I take it only when needed, like traveling or maybe twice a month. My problem is the next night I will not sleep without Ambien I have to have some wine to relax me, then I'll sleep, next night I am fine.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 24, 2011 9:19 AM

Review by cindiwindi1025:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Ambien has been the only insomnia medicine that has worked consistently for the 7 years I have been taking it. I was on a combination of Ambien and Xanax but lost my healthcare coverage so am on Ambien only. I totally have to thank the Ambien makers because my life was a messy blur of nonsleep. Now, I sleep and sleep well.

June 12, 2011 1:38 AM

Review by Al Cooper:

For Insomnia: Positive - Works "as advertised" in 5mg or 10mg tablet form. Best used immediately before "hopping into bed". If used prior to this, you may/will experience some amnesia (short term memory) loss or confusion. Things or actions taken MAY be perfectly normal, such as convenience store shopping, etc. I am, however, extremely grateful that I do not have access to a motor vehicle. Impaired judgement should be taken for granted.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2011 8:59 AM

Review by Airline Pilot:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have been taking ambien for a few years and it has made a profound change in my sleeping routines. I am getting better sleep than ever!

June 4, 2011 10:51 PM

Review by Redpr4:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have been taking Ambien for about 3 years now off and on. I can't sleep at night and most nights when I do take Ambien I lay awake. When I take the Ambien it takes sometimes 35 minutes to an hour before I feel anything. I recently discovered I have been sleep eating. I was dreaming I was eating cinnamon buns and when I woke up I found the box of cinnamon buns were all gone. Plus I have found I have been posting stuff on Face Book and I don't remember doing it. Even though I have found out I have been doing these things but I can't sleep so to me it's worth taking. Glad to know I don't sleep eat every night.

May 31, 2011 8:58 PM

Review by mostlytired:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have used Ambien for 6 years. It worked very well all the time before they introduced the generic brands. The generics are NOT the same as the original and do not produce the same results. They leave me hung over and each manufacturer has his own brew thus are unpredictable in how they will perform. I have offered to pay the difference to get the real Ambien but with no success. Sure wish this wasn't so expensive.

May 30, 2011 5:37 PM

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Took my first Ambien last night at 10. Started with half like my doctor said. Took the other half at 1am since first half obviously didn't work. Here I sit at 5:30am and my eyes still haven't closed. Only difference with me is that when I didn't take I sleep a couple of hours and feel fine. Taking Ambien I don't sleep at all but feel tired!

May 27, 2011 5:36 AM

Review by Avrahom:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have had difficulty going to sleep and was prescribed this medicine. It does help me sleep for several hours.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 24, 2011 1:32 PM

Review by shedeth:

For Insomnia: I have been using Zolpidem for about 6 mos for chronic nerve pain and anxiety. I take it before bedtime instead of another painkiller to help me relax before bed. You must be going to sleep at least 15-20 minutes after you take it because it will only initiate sleep, not meant to keep you asleep. I get at least 7 straight hours sleep without noticing my pain gnawing at me all night. It helps a lot!

May 22, 2011 5:58 AM