User Reviews for Zaleplon

Also known as: Sonata

Learn more about Zaleplon.

Zaleplon Review Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Zaleplon to treat Insomnia

"I've only ever had problems falling asleep, zaleplon really helps my mind stop think about work and other nonsense. I've used zaleplon only when I needed to get to sleep because something was going on the next day and I would begin to worry about not being able to sleep, and it really does help with this. It also helps with jet-lag. Other times, I would just drink a lot. I've recently cut WAY back on the amount of alcohol and am relying much more on zaleplon. As my body is adjusting to less alcohol, I'm sleeping better without it. I used to wake up as soon as the zonleplon wore off, 4 hours on the dot. Now that I'm drinking so much less, I'm getting 6 to 7 hours sleep before waking, and then I'm able to go back to sleep a get a total of 8+."

V SF (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 10, 2015

"After being a great sleeper I found myself looking up at the ceiling for several hours. I do not like taking medication. I got prescribed zaleplon as it is mild. Whenever I am overtired or stressed I take 1 or 2. It works perfectly and no side affects. I am 80 young."

Tiques February 2, 2015

Sonata (zaleplon): "My doctor recently informed me that I should only take Sonata when I wake up in the middle of the night. Just need to have a glass of water near my bed. I tried that last night and it did give me a few extra hours of sleep. When I was taking it before bed I generally would get up in the middle of the night anyway and feel groggy the next day. "

epublius (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 23, 2014

Sonata (zaleplon): "Taking Sonata was like taking a placebo. No matter when I took it - 5 minutes before bedtime, 1 hour, 2 hours, I would lie awake for hours! I even tried doubling up with no change. Once I did fall asleep I would wake up 2 hours later, then 2 hours after that - never getting a restful nights sleep."

1Anonymous July 23, 2014

Sonata (zaleplon): "I love Sonata, for the first time I can sleep. However, I think it works best if you wind yourself down and relax a bit first. Otherwise, I would find myself feeling the effects of the medication and still active and now impaired. So I learned early in once I stop what I am doing and just relax, watch T.V, read a book etc. Right to sleep and I stayed there. Not groggy at all the next day."

GlamGalTN (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 10, 2014

"I absolutely had to share that after taking this medicine, I too cut my hair in the night. I'm over forty years old. Not being aware I had cut my hair, I woke up and when I hopped out of bed that morning, both feet landed in a pile of hair. While funny, this is not good at all. I understand this is the same class of drug that is used for sedation during surgery. Look up the risks involved to memory and comprehension. Long term, permanent side effects. I admit, this medication put me to sleep, but never through the entire night. Oh, yeah and then there was the time I woke up with a chocolate candy bar melted to the side of my face. Again, funny but I was really angry to have wasted a candy bar. Ok ok, yeah I ate the candy bar. Come on, I had to."

Bluewatersgal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2014

"I have chronic back pain that I take a pain medicine for. (Nucynta- and it's great!). I still had a problem with falling asleep so my pain doctor suggested I try this. It has changed my life. It is so amazing how it works. You really don't know it's working until you lie down and try to go to sleep. This pill doesn't give you the normal feelings of getting sleepy like the others. This is working your brain to shut down in such a cool way you hardly know it unless you stay up waiting for that feeling. I think if I didn't have the back pain I would probably sleep straight through the night but my pain meds run out after 5hrs so I have to take one again for that. No probs going back to sleep. I get a lot of memory loss on the night before though. May have bin the "

SleepingBeauty007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2014

Sonata (zaleplon): "Trouble falling asleep and staying asleep"

GypsyJoey April 16, 2014

Sonata (zaleplon): "After years of not being able to fall asleep or stay asleep and after trying Lunesta and Ambien I was tired. Sonata works great for me and I don't wake up groggy or hung over. I feel great for the first time in my life. I have fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome and it is essential to get sleep. I feel refreshed and ready to go in the mornings.....love it. Thankful my doctor said to give it a try. Hope this helps."

freckleseckles (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2014

"I don't usually need it to fall asleep, but I find I wake more refreshed. I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and CPAP did not improve my sleep. I have been experimenting with taking it or not, and I am fairly convinced it makes a positive difference. But, it is only approved for short term use, so I would like to know about experience with regular use."

drdbuck December 15, 2013

"I currently take 10mg and turns out i cant sleep on it. So tonight i took 20mg and feel like i am slightly tripping balls man. i still cant fall asleep so i might as well go talk to the clothes in my closet."

Schloooom (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2013

"I started taking zaleplon after finding that my previous sleeping pill (trazodone) made me sleepy well into the next day. Zaleplon has a much shorter half life than trazodone and it helps with falling asleep. The way my doctor described it was that it would ease my mind so I could fall asleep versus making me just drowsy. The first few weeks I fell asleep instantly. However, after being on zaleplon for awhile, I noticed that in the morning I had taken more pills (2 or 3) without remembering I had. I live alone, so I know I was the only one that could have taken them. I also did dishes and took trash out in my sleep. I now take a lower dose and haven't had the same issues since. Great sleeping pill but make sure you start on a low dose."

KaraDB July 13, 2013

Sonata (zaleplon): "I don't have trouble falling asleep, but if I happen to wake up between the hours of 2:00 am and 4:00 am, for some reason I have a hard time falling back asleep. I give myself about 10 minutes, and if I am still awake I take one capsule. Seems like it works within 15 minutes and there is ZERO morning grogginess. It is a short acting medication so it really isn't designed to be taken right when you go to bed. Sometimes I will take a Sonata and then check my email while waiting for it to work----big mistake, as I write some very loopy, misspelled things which I have only the vaguest memory of doing. "

Moorestown Lady July 8, 2013

"I used to take Zaleplon Sonata to help regulate sleep disturbances related to Bipolar Disorder. I took it 38 times over the course of 78 days and it was excellent in helping me fall asleep. The 39th time I took it, I experienced very frightening hallucinations and severe anxiety. The experience was made worse because I was concerned about maniac symptoms. I called my psychiatrist and he said to immediately stop taking it. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2013

Sonata (zaleplon): "I love it!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2013

"I would rate this 10 if it worked all night. I take the generic Zaleplon. It will make me drowsy in about 30 minutes and I will fall asleep; usually with the TV on a timer. I used to take Xanax and a few cocktails, but wanted something different. I wake up about 4-5 hours later and sometimes get back to sleep sporadically; sometimes not. Now, I take 2.5mg Xanax, then 30 min later take the Zaleplon and shortly after another 2.5mg Xanax (I half one 5mg Xanax and take separately). I still wake up earlier than I want to, but I'm not sure there's anything I can do about that until I relieve some stress."

JonnyQuest February 6, 2013

Sonata (zaleplon): "It didn't help me fall asleep at all. I tried it one night and I didn't sleep the whole night, so I tried it again during the day since I hadn't slept at night no bueano. Made me cough and hack really bad and sinus, had chest pain the next day. I tried again one more night still no sleep."

elaborategoddess (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2012

Sonata (zaleplon): "I had an interesting experience on Sonata. I took it, but found myself unable to fall asleep. Instead, I spent several, say 7 hours, sitting in front of my vanity having a conversation with my numerous reflections in my one mirror. While there in reality was probably only one reflection, I saw three. Sometimes more. They all were very active, doing different things at the same time! I decided that one of them should cut their hair, and after some persuasion, they did. Well, to my great dismay, when I awoke, I looked in the mirror, and yes, my reflection had indeed cut her hair, but so had I! I had to go to school that day, my friends were rather astonished. Well...I had a hell of a time explaining it to my mom. When I shared the account of these events with my cousin, however, I was rather stunned by the fact that she had had the same experience!!!! She too, had cut her hair and spent hours conversing and sharing anecdotes with her multiple reflection-visitors. Although her conversation was interrupted by a vision of a dog-man, our stories were otherwise quite similar. After researching this medication thoroughly online, we thought that it could not just be coincidence that we both had such similar nights on Sonata, and we think these things should be listed as side affects, including, but not limited to hair cutting and mirror parties."

katier138 (taken for 10 years or more) September 4, 2012

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Sonata (zaleplon): "After trying a number of different things without much success, the zaleplon/Sonata is helping me go to sleep and staying asleep for up to 7 hours. When I wake, I'm refreshed and have no hangover whatsoever."

ludlow49 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2012

Sonata (zaleplon): "I did not like it. I tried it for 2 weeks and always woke up at 2.30 am or 3.00am then I couldn't go back to sleep."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2012

Sonata (zaleplon): "This medicine did not make me sleepy at all. It made sexual urges come to the forefront so much that it affected my normal behavior. "

Anonymous March 28, 2012

"I have extreme insomnia that occurs on a nightly basis for over three years now. I have tried pretty much everything thing, relaxation techniques, changes in diet and exercise, lavender bathes, new mattress etc. I have taken some sleep aids in the past that have either done the reverse or have made me groggy for days. This one, however, did not make me tired right away, I got a little bit energized for around 2 hours before I fell asleep. But I do like how there were no morning side effects! Big for that! My one side effect was that I got super thirsty and my throat got super dry, but the pharmacist said it does occur but usually the person is asleep by that time."

onlyadaydreamer December 21, 2011

Sonata (zaleplon): "Like Ambien, it's good for a solid four hours but then I wake up totally unable to go back to sleep without taking another dose. It's good if you only need help getting to sleep."

hscolnik November 26, 2011

"I love this medicine. I do wake up about 3 am but am not fining I can't fall back to sleep. I wake up feeling rested and not groggy at all. It has changed my life!"

idahogirl November 24, 2011

"This medicine really changed my life. I just recently switched to zaleplon and to be honest I feel very hypnotic/high when I take two doses of it. I love the feeling but these pills are addictive so do not take more then your doctor prescribed."

Jdog101 October 25, 2011