User Reviews for Zaleplon

Also known as: Sonata

Learn more about Zaleplon.

Zaleplon review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 74 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Zaleplon to treat Insomnia

Review by GypsyJoey: User Rating:

Sonata (zaleplon): Trouble falling asleep and staying asleep

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 16, 2014 1:23 AM
Review by freckleseckles (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Sonata (zaleplon): After years of not being able to fall asleep or stay asleep and after trying Lunesta and Ambien I was tired. Sonata works great for me and I don't wake up groggy or hung over. I feel great for the first time in my life. I have fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome and it is essential to get sleep. I feel refreshed and ready to go in the mornings.....love it. Thankful my doctor said to give it a try. Hope this helps.

February 15, 2014 12:53 AM
Review by drdbuck: User Rating:

zaleplon: I don't usually need it to fall asleep, but I find I wake more refreshed. I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and CPAP did not improve my sleep. I have been experimenting with taking it or not, and I am fairly convinced it makes a positive difference. But, it is only approved for short term use, so I would like to know about experience with regular use.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 15, 2013 4:49 PM
Review by Schloooom (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

zaleplon: I currently take 10mg and turns out i cant sleep on it. So tonight i took 20mg and feel like i am slightly tripping balls man. i still cant fall asleep so i might as well go talk to the clothes in my closet.

August 18, 2013 2:00 AM
Review by KaraDB: User Rating:

zaleplon: I started taking zaleplon after finding that my previous sleeping pill (trazodone) made me sleepy well into the next day. Zaleplon has a much shorter half life than trazodone and it helps with falling asleep. The way my doctor described it was that it would ease my mind so I could fall asleep versus making me just drowsy. The first few weeks I fell asleep instantly. However, after being on zaleplon for awhile, I noticed that in the morning I had taken more pills (2 or 3) without remembering I had. I live alone, so I know I was the only one that could have taken them. I also did dishes and took trash out in my sleep. I now take a lower dose and haven't had the same issues since. Great sleeping pill but make sure you start on a low dose.

July 13, 2013 7:20 PM
Review by Moorestown Lady: User Rating:

Sonata (zaleplon): I don't have trouble falling asleep, but if I happen to wake up between the hours of 2:00 am and 4:00 am, for some reason I have a hard time falling back asleep. I give myself about 10 minutes, and if I am still awake I take one capsule. Seems like it works within 15 minutes and there is ZERO morning grogginess. It is a short acting medication so it really isn't designed to be taken right when you go to bed. Sometimes I will take a Sonata and then check my email while waiting for it to work----big mistake, as I write some very loopy, misspelled things which I have only the vaguest memory of doing.

July 8, 2013 11:35 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

zaleplon: I used to take Zaleplon Sonata to help regulate sleep disturbances related to Bipolar Disorder. I took it 38 times over the course of 78 days and it was excellent in helping me fall asleep. The 39th time I took it, I experienced very frightening hallucinations and severe anxiety. The experience was made worse because I was concerned about maniac symptoms. I called my psychiatrist and he said to immediately stop taking it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 25, 2013 3:39 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Sonata (zaleplon): I love it!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 19, 2013 8:52 PM
Review by JonnyQuest: User Rating:

zaleplon: I would rate this 10 if it worked all night. I take the generic Zaleplon. It will make me drowsy in about 30 minutes and I will fall asleep; usually with the TV on a timer. I used to take Xanax and a few cocktails, but wanted something different. I wake up about 4-5 hours later and sometimes get back to sleep sporadically; sometimes not. Now, I take 2.5mg Xanax, then 30 min later take the Zaleplon and shortly after another 2.5mg Xanax (I half one 5mg Xanax and take separately). I still wake up earlier than I want to, but I'm not sure there's anything I can do about that until I relieve some stress.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 6, 2013 1:16 PM
Review by elaborategoddess (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Sonata (zaleplon): It didn't help me fall asleep at all. I tried it one night and I didn't sleep the whole night, so I tried it again during the day since I hadn't slept at night no bueano. Made me cough and hack really bad and sinus, had chest pain the next day. I tried again one more night still no sleep.

September 20, 2012 4:45 AM
Review by katier138 (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Sonata (zaleplon): I had an interesting experience on Sonata. I took it, but found myself unable to fall asleep. Instead, I spent several, say 7 hours, sitting in front of my vanity having a conversation with my numerous reflections in my one mirror. While there in reality was probably only one reflection, I saw three. Sometimes more. They all were very active, doing different things at the same time! I decided that one of them should cut their hair, and after some persuasion, they did. Well, to my great dismay, when I awoke, I looked in the mirror, and yes, my reflection had indeed cut her hair, but so had I! I had to go to school that day, my friends were rather astonished. Well...I had a hell of a time explaining it to my mom. When I shared the account of these events with my cousin, however, I was rather stunned by the fact that she had had the same experience!!!! She too, had cut her hair and spent hours conversing and sharing anecdotes with her multiple reflection-visitors. Although her conversation was interrupted by a vision of a dog-man, our stories were otherwise quite similar. After researching this medication thoroughly online, we thought that it could not just be coincidence that we both had such similar nights on Sonata, and we think these things should be listed as side affects, including, but not limited to hair cutting and mirror parties.

September 4, 2012 12:09 AM
Review by ludlow49 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Sonata (zaleplon): After trying a number of different things without much success, the zaleplon/Sonata is helping me go to sleep and staying asleep for up to 7 hours. When I wake, I'm refreshed and have no hangover whatsoever.

July 16, 2012 8:26 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Sonata (zaleplon): I did not like it. I tried it for 2 weeks and always woke up at 2.30 am or 3.00am then I couldn't go back to sleep.

May 9, 2012 9:42 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Sonata (zaleplon): This medicine did not make me sleepy at all. It made sexual urges come to the forefront so much that it affected my normal behavior.

March 28, 2012 7:56 PM
Review by onlyadaydreamer:

zaleplon: I have extreme insomnia that occurs on a nightly basis for over three years now. I have tried pretty much everything thing, relaxation techniques, changes in diet and exercise, lavender bathes, new mattress etc. I have taken some sleep aids in the past that have either done the reverse or have made me groggy for days. This one, however, did not make me tired right away, I got a little bit energized for around 2 hours before I fell asleep. But I do like how there were no morning side effects! Big for that! My one side effect was that I got super thirsty and my throat got super dry, but the pharmacist said it does occur but usually the person is asleep by that time.

December 21, 2011 4:57 AM
Review by hscolnik: User Rating:

Sonata (zaleplon): Like Ambien, it's good for a solid four hours but then I wake up totally unable to go back to sleep without taking another dose. It's good if you only need help getting to sleep.

November 26, 2011 6:04 AM
Review by idahogirl: User Rating:

zaleplon: I love this medicine. I do wake up about 3 am but am not fining I can't fall back to sleep. I wake up feeling rested and not groggy at all. It has changed my life!

November 24, 2011 1:26 AM
Review by Jdog101: User Rating:

zaleplon: This medicine really changed my life. I just recently switched to zaleplon and to be honest I feel very hypnotic/high when I take two doses of it. I love the feeling but these pills are addictive so do not take more then your doctor prescribed.

October 25, 2011 3:10 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Sonata (zaleplon): Finally, I no longer have to chose between falling asleep at night or being productive during the day. With Sonata, I can do both. The only drawback is that on rare occasions, the medication takes awhile to work.

April 2, 2010 1:09 AM

Sonata (zaleplon): Nice to finally stay asleep

October 19, 2009 1:50 AM
Review by Ivan g: User Rating:

Sonata (zaleplon): Falling asleep can be a bit of a challenge when my back and legs are cramping. Feels like a broom stick is constantly pushing hard on lower left side of back. This pill said take immediately before bed. It takes about 70 minutes for me to shut down after taking it. Other pills give aching shoulder and joints this one does not and no grogginess either. I can sleep through at least 6 hours after use and I appreciate the development of one medicine that works for me as I have tried many and they do not work well or have negative side effects.

October 17, 2009 12:28 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

zaleplon: This medicine has been amazing. Although it does take a bit to kick in (30 minutes or so), once I am asleep that is it. It works so well in that if my daughter wakes up in the middle of the night I am not too groggy to get up and function.

January 7, 2009 10:09 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Sonata (zaleplon): This usually helps me get to sleep really well. It says to take it while you're already in bed but I don't find that it immediately knocks me out like Ambien did. The Sonata gets me to sleep and lets me wake up just fine in the morning. The only problem is if I wake up during the night and can't return to sleep and so sometimes I take an additional one to help get back to sleep.

October 7, 2008 8:43 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Sonata (zaleplon): I have severe chronic insomnia associated with FM/CFS. I have been unable to fall asleep or stay asleep for nearly 10 years. Tried many other medicines for sleep that didn't work or had unacceptable side effects. Sonata served me well for 5 years. Was taking 10 mg to get to sleep and then another 10mg to get back to sleep during the night. Our health insurer changed and they will only pay for 1 pill per night. My health and quality of life has deteriorated.

July 27, 2008 12:19 AM
Review by ->AlanJ: User Rating:

Sonata (zaleplon): I use Ambien CR 12.5mg (strongest), and I still wake up at 3am. Can't take another Ambien. To avoid any risk associated with driving to work and then dealing with the drowsiness while at work, my doctor put me on Sonata. Even if I wake up at 3 or 4, I am able to enjoy the rest of my night in restful sleep with no morning drowsiness at all.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 28, 2008 12:56 AM