User Reviews for Vortioxetine

Also known as: Brintellix

Learn more about Vortioxetine.

Vortioxetine Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Vortioxetine to treat Depression

Brintellix (vortioxetine): "So far it had been a little over a month and a half on 5 mg, for my depression and constant ups and downs. I have bi polar, PTSD, anxiety, and depression. Of all the meds this has helped tremendously, with only nausea as a side effect. I eat toast and peanut butter and it seems to help. I feel like myself again, with better concentration, more energy, and I'm smiling again. This honestly saved my life with the help of other meds that I am on!"

Tashy February 7, 2016

"My doctor put me on this medication a little over two weeks ago. I realize it might be still too early - it typically takes a month for a medication to take total effect. I have found a reduction in anxiety. But, have read in the posts that people experience joint pain and sweats. Today, I did a burpee in my workout and I feel that I pulled a hip flexor muscle. I didn't even think that it could be related to this med until I read these posts. I would really be interested to know why if this is true it happens. Its weird. I am in really good shape but am a 49 year old woman and am pre-menopausal, however, the severe sweats started to happen around the same time as starting the med."

Meeshell February 6, 2016

Brintellix (vortioxetine): "Started of the 5mg Brintellix, I usually have low blood pressure, but noticed at first the headache and decided to monitor my blood pressure after taking the med. Usually the headache started about 3 hours after taking it. I took my blood pressure just to check and my BP was high 142/ 88. My norm is 108/70, that is regularly. I don't think I am going to be able to tolerate the discomfort it gives me with the headache and high BP, no nausea. I like the fact the food cravings I got on other meds is not a factor with this. I was on Lexapro low dose for about 7 years, but it I started to have tremors when I discontinued no tremors, but depression and SAD returned, so we tried Brintellix, may have to try something else."

cycle256 February 5, 2016

Brintellix (vortioxetine): "I'm taking 300 mg Bupropion and still extremely depressed. Psychiatrist gave me a month of 5mg samples of Brintellix to supplement the Bupropion. I have been taking it for 5 days now and have severe nausea & vomiting along with constipation. Nausea & vomiting occurs 20 min. to 1/2 hour after taking so the drug isn't absorbed into my system to have an effect on my depression. I am on other medications that I was taking at the same time as the Brintellix. I've decided to take the Bintellix with food in the morning and all other meds at night due to the vomiting so that the other drugs can be effective. I can deal with nausea & constipation, but the not vomiting. I will continue taking and hope the vomiting stops. Fingers crossed."

HoosierBill February 5, 2016

Brintellix (vortioxetine): "I just started this 3-4 days ago for helping me with fatigue. I've been on Prozac for about a year, vyvanse for about 6-7 months & klonopin as needed. I have anxiety and depression and never feel like doing anything. Adding brintellix to my morning routine actually made me hyper this evening and up this afternoon. I even played football with my brother for a while which is extremely rare or (never existed before) so I'm going to keep trying! I'm on 10mg of brintellix and 10mg of Prozac daily. And 40mg vyvanse for add."

Equinebefore February 5, 2016

Brintellix (vortioxetine): "Was on Prozac 20mg for 5 years. It worked for me. Gained weight. Forgot why I was on it until I tried to wean off. Saw a nurse to help me get off and she told me to try Brintellix. I weaned off prozac while starting brintelllix 10mg. It worked. But now a couple of months into it I miss the prozac. Not helping my anger. I can tell the difference. But I wanted to lose the weight. Thinking of increasing to 20mg or adding Gaba or something"

QQQSSUUEE (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2016

"I have severe anxiety and social anxiety. I had to even start homeschooling because it got so bad. I would go a month without having to leave the house. Doctor put me on brintellix and I was finally able to leave the house I'm always out. I've been able to make friends without the need of my friends being right next to me. I can start a conversation. I never thought I'd find a medicine but I did and I can finally live my life again. I've been on it for 5 months and it's had no problems"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2016

"Started taking Trintellix about a month ago, used to take 10mg in the morning but found it made me sleepy and dozy (especially when driving) so switched to taking it before I went to bed. At first found it helped me sleep better, but now wake up sweating and get bad headaches a few times a night. I also found suicidal thoughts increased and I actually started to feel more depressed than before I started taking it. It did make me initially feel better and more able to cope, but as time goes on I'm actually degrading back to my pre-med self. Doctor is no real help , I can't get to see him for another 7 weeks as he has a big patient load. thinking about reducing the dose to 5mg a 24 hour period to see If I improve. I hope I do - I can't go on like this"

Billy Fish (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2016

"I found the medication very helpful with only some nausea lasting a few days but constipation that continued. It was very calming and helped my sleep. Then after about 2 months I began to get pain in all of my joints especially any joint that I may have injured in the past. I was unable to get through a work out at the gym and that is the best treatment for me. The day that I opened a tube of toothpaste and wrenched the joint in my thumb was when I had to say enough. It has taken now over 3 months to regain my range of motion and to be mostly without pain caused by this medication. After reading the other review about joint pain I felt I should also comment about my experience."

Clemey January 21, 2016

Brintellix (vortioxetine): "This medication had me in severe hypersomnia, barely able to function at work, sleeping all day. Worked great for anxiety, but everything was numbed out. I'm stopping this cold turkey. I tried 5mg, 10mg and 15mg."

sh4d0w123 January 20, 2016

"This was, by far, the best med that I have ever taken for my mood and anxiety. I'm Bipolar with severe anxiety, and it helped me to feel normal for 8 months. Unfortunately, I developed joint and nerve pain after a month or so, which over time became so severe that I could barely walk and spent most time lying in pain. It took almost 3 months after stopping the med, but I am now physically back to normal (with an extra 30lbs due to inactivity). My mood plummeted quickly after stopping the med, and I became severely depressed. I have returned to the rough shape I was in before starting the med. Such a shame; I thought it was my miracle drug."

Disappointedone January 20, 2016

Brintellix (vortioxetine): "I have been on brintellix for three weeks. I have not felt any effects what so ever. It only serves to make me vomit nearly every morning. Libido is zero. This only adds to my anxiety and depression. It is also very expensive costing me nearly $450 a month. If I felt just a little better I would not mind spending the money. Drug companies just suck! For the money this med is just not worth it and I will request another anti depressant from my MD at my next visit"

Hockey ref January 20, 2016

"I have tried numerous psych meds over several years. I could not take any of them due to side effects. Been on vortioxetine about 7 mos. It has improved my depression and helped me feel good and confident. At first the side effects were some nausea, itchiness and diminished vision. The benefits outweighed the side effects-especially since-unlike regular SSRIs-this med does not interfere with my ability to think clearly and complete my work. Now though I have developed joint pain and muscle stiffness. Also maybe it shrinks my tendons. When I skip med for a day pain/stiffness reduces and vision improves. (nausea and itchiness had already become a non-issue). Hope next generation med fixes vision & stiffness pain problem. Will talk to doc soon"

Medfort (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 17, 2016

"The first time I've ever felt happy for real, no shadows, no zombiness. I have been on everything else, always just made me spacey or not care or short attention span. This drug is totally different. Slowly titrated from 2.5 to 15mg and I seem stable now. It took a few months to get over initial nausea and lack of sleep, on and off sexual side effects. but now I feel totally normal and am enjoying life. I never thought I'd say that and it sounds cheesy but its true, and it seriously works!"

tegir (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 16, 2016

Brintellix (vortioxetine): "Absolutely terrible. I switched to Brintellix from Lexapro because I was having some unpleasant side effects. My doctor suggested this medication as it has "no side effects." I've been through several antidepressants, and may I tell you this is by far the worst one. Not only did I have horrific physical side effects such as vomiting after only the second dose of 5mg, but this stuff seemed to screw me up mentally - though that part could have also been due to Lexapro withdrawal. Regardless, Brintellix has made me realize how great Lexapro was. I'll take those side effects any day after this! Would not reccomend Brintellix - be wary of what your doctor tells you and research any medicine before taking it. Back to Lexapro..."

aaTLX (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2016

Brintellix (vortioxetine): "I was admitted to the hospital with suicidal ideation after beginning this medication. I was probably on it 3 weeks and then was in the hospital a week. I went from feeling depressed to suicidal that fast. I blame the medication. I hear it works wonders for some but for me it was terrible."

battling depression (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2016

Brintellix (vortioxetine): "I moved to another state 4 months prior to taking this med. I was experiencing a lot of highs and lows....sadness, irritability, increased anxiety due to moving 2 states away from family/friends. I already take Wellbutrin which I've been on for a decade to control anxiety and SAD. By the end of week 1 I noticed a feeling of "levelness" of my general mood, by end of week 2 my boyfriend noticed the positive change by end of week 3 I still feel pretty good as far as the highs and lows being gone but now I'm starting to notice a lowered libido and decreased reaction to sexual stimuli-it's extremely difficult to reach orgasm. I will continue the med for awhile as I do believe it's working for the mood but am unsure about staying on it long term."

Becky, 45 year old female (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2016

"I have taken Trintellix for about 6 months after trying absolutely everything else. At first I was thrilled at how much better I felt. I could concentrate again, was sleeping for the first time in over a decade, and felt more motivated. However, For the past few months, I have been feeling moderately to severely depressed, so much fatigue that all I want to do is sleep, and itching and muscle pain. Most disturbing though is how little I feel like myself. Anger, mood swings and feeling irritable are affecting my relationships and my desire to help myself. Time to discuss discontinuing this med with my doctor."

Pixie Loo January 10, 2016

"after searching for cause/solution to repeated near-nausea and upper intestinal cramps--matter what I did or didn't eat--my doctor after trying another med offered samples of brintellix. I haven't had a cramp since I started the medication almost 4 weeks ago and after some early nausea, that also has gone away. I don't know if its because of the meds or because my guts don't hurt for the first time in almost 4 years--but my mood is also considerably better though I'm only taking a 5mg tablet. Now searching for alternative source. But I'll pay the $85/30 if thats what it takes."

thejonz (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2016

Brintellix (vortioxetine): "I've been taking it since June 2015 and I have to say I became my old self. I'm suffering from severe postpartum anxiety. But brintellix has changed my life for the better. I have to say I am completely more social now."

Jrmj (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 8, 2016

Brintellix (vortioxetine): "Works fantastic! No more depression or anxiety!"

Rome14 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 6, 2016

Brintellix (vortioxetine): "I've been on brintellix for ~3 months and it has changed my life. My depression was very severe- daily anxiety, immobilized from crying and panicking... this was related to PTSD and I was consumed with feelings of guilt, shame, and thought of suicide several times. I started on 10 mg, had no side effects at all (maybe a little continued jaw tightness), and felt the effects within a week. I already had reduced anxiety, and cut the amount of xanax I would take in half. Then as time went on, the anxiety and depression started fading away entirely and my mood was elevated. I could think clearly, more energy, more motivation for the first time in months. Brintellix combined with therapy cured me. I increased to 20 mg and feel better than ever."

DJ lil Apple January 5, 2016

Brintellix (vortioxetine): "I'd get a mild headache within fifteen minutes of taking this and the intensity of the pain depended on the dosage."

Chigurh (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2016

Brintellix (vortioxetine): "I've only been using Brintellix for 1 week but I am very pleased! After trying nearly everything out there with little to no benefit, and many many side effects - the first week on Brintellix has made me very hopeful that it continues to work!!"

CarlinsMom (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2015

Brintellix (vortioxetine): "Was on Zoloft and then Effextor (150 mg) and did great on both, but because I am a long-term forever user I needed to change it up -weaning from the effexor was so horrible. I am now taking 10 mg and it's been a week. I am experiencing sleep disruption, some nausea, I am now VERY regular and my joints and muscles are stiff and sore. I am finally seeing a glimmer of hope as far as my despair goes - so I am optimistic that the above side affects will go away and all will be well in my world again in a few weeks."

smfennell December 28, 2015