User Reviews for Vortioxetine

Also known as: Brintellix

Learn more about Vortioxetine.

Vortioxetine review summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Vortioxetine to treat Depression

Review by j bro:

Brintellix (vortioxetine): It worked for about a month. 10 mg, then seemed all of a sudden stopped working.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2014 8:28 PM

Review by Rozziemarie:

Brintellix (vortioxetine): Had headaches, constipation, high blood pressure, and night terrors, dizziness.

December 12, 2014 9:51 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Brintellix (vortioxetine): Have anxiety and depression and have been on medicines for 20 years. Have taken Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Lexapro. Just switched 3 weeks ago from Prozac/Wellbutrin to Brintellix with Wellbutrin. Feel fantastic - much better mood, clear head, no anxiety. No side effects at all. Taking 10mg.

November 22, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by Jus10 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Brintellix (vortioxetine): This medication is absolutely amazing. I've tried Prozac, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Viibryd, Paxil and Cymbalta over the course of ten years. Brintellix was the first medication that didn't give the unpleasant "disconnected/sedated" side effects of other SSRI'S. As a male, the sexual side effects a minute. I began on 5mg for two weeks and achieved a therapeutic dose of 10mg once a day. I have my life back and it also helps with obsessive compulsive disoder symptoms. I suggest taking right before bed, as it can make you a little drowsy.

November 20, 2014 1:44 PM

Review by francine5:

Brintellix (vortioxetine): My doctor gave me 5mg samples to take for 1 week, then 10mg. The first two nights I had trouble sleeping, also taking trazodone 100mg for sleep. Today I took my Vyvanse 40 mg, and the Brintellix, I already feel somewhat better. No side effects, but sleep. I really think this medicine can help me for the depression I've had.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 15, 2014 6:12 PM

Review by BRiTT!:

Brintellix (vortioxetine): Started medication three days ago. So far my energy level has gone up, I feel happier and more positive. I have experienced itchy skin.. hoping that side effect subsides.

November 11, 2014 8:33 AM

Review by pretty n pink (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Brintellix (vortioxetine): I love Brilltenex. I've been on it for a year. Unfortunately I take 20 mg. I feel a whole lot better. So much better than Prozac. Only down fall is that my headaches are back. Might lower back to 10mg. Wish it wasn't so expensive.

October 26, 2014 11:35 AM

Review by JNC (taken for less than 1 month):

Brintellix (vortioxetine): On Brintellix 10 mg for a week. Had to stop taking it due to severe side effects including upset stomach, dizzyness, head rushes, increased mood swings and suicidal thoughts. Really threw me for a loop. Went back to Cymbalta which at least keeps me on an even keel with no side effects.

October 25, 2014 4:03 AM

Review by So far so good! (taken for less than 1 month):

Brintellix (vortioxetine): I am a 46 yr old female with generalized anxiety disorder and depression. I tried Zoloft because it helped 3 of my family members. Zoloft made me miserable! I ended up in the psych ward with severe anxiety, depression and nausea. My doctor took me off of Zoloft and put me on 10 mg Brintellix and I noticed a change pretty quickly. He also had me on 0.5 mg of Klonopin 2x a day. My nausea virtually disappeared and my anxiety/depression improved significantly. I had some lightheadedness and itchiness on and off but eventually that subsided. I've reduced my Klonopin to 1 pill a day. I'm still going to therapy and trying to exercise and read my Bible which helps, but the medication has been a Godsend so far. I highly recommend it. The only thing is it is expensive.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2014 2:40 PM

Review by Esselbee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Taking 20 mg for 2 months. I take in the morning on full stomach and don't have any nausea. I had nausea for a few days but it went away after taking high doses of calcium. I also had itching the 1st week but that went away with Benadryl and applying anti-itch ointment. I've taken just about everything for depression and suffered intolerable side effects - but not with Brintellix. I feel much better. IMHO, side effects can be easily treated with OTC medicines. I have noticed that people who have bad side effects from it are also taking other medications, i.e. for bipolar, depression, etc. My Dr said taking Brintellix with medicines like Wellbutrin can have serious side effects like mood swings, disorientation.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 16, 2014 2:49 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Brintellix (vortioxetine): I get anxiety and depression. I've tried several antidepressants and for anxiety too none worked for me. They would cause drowsiness and didn't even work for my anxiety. I would be around my co-workers even felt like I was twitching and they couldn't walk by me because I felt like ants all over my body. I started taking Brintellix 10 mg and I'm only 114 pounds. It works great for me, more alert at work and wake up at 6 am and feeling refreshed.

October 15, 2014 1:04 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

On 5 mg for about 3 weeks now, no noticeable improvement in depression, way more anxiety, itchiness and a lot more suicidal ideation. Doesn't seem to be working for me.

October 13, 2014 1:43 AM

Review by Hopeful1977 (taken for less than 1 month):

Brintellix (vortioxetine): I'm on my 3rd day. My mood seems to have mellowed out a bit. I'm not as moody as I normally am. I don't have the itchy skin but I have been experiencing a bit of nausea. This is my first time being on antidepressants and I really hope this gets me out of the funk I've been in the last 6 months. I got a 3 week sample supply and haven't submitted my prescription yet to see if insurance will cover what my physician describes it as "the designer antidepressant".

October 10, 2014 9:48 AM

Review by Ken in MN:

Brintellix (vortioxetine): I started with 5mg then went to 10mg. I thought it was a great improvement. However, I started getting severe nausea that didn't go away after a month. I had to stop taking it, but I'm still having the nausea 3 weeks later.

October 7, 2014 1:44 PM

Review by Nikki S (taken for less than 1 month):

Brintellix (vortioxetine): In the beginning I only had a problem with itching, I kept thinking my body would get used to it & it would stop. It didn't, it only got worse. I wasn't experiencing any other severe issues, so I had planned to stay on it, but on Day 7, I noticed that I was having trouble finding my words, my vocabulary was impaired & there was almost a stutter present. On Day 8 I became very nauseous & decided that would be my last day. The side effects were just too much to wait it out. Day 9, no med, my husband told me that I seemed much more relaxed and "involved". I cannot wait for this itching to go completely away! I did seem to have a little more positive attitude & motivation but the side effects were too much!

October 5, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by bray24 (taken for less than 1 month):

Brintellix (vortioxetine): Been taking this medicine for two weeks. I noticed I'm really itchy, my stomach is so sick, headaches, and I'm very tired. I hope it gets better.

September 28, 2014 10:01 PM

Review by Brint:

Brintellix (vortioxetine): I have be taking Brintellix 10 mg for 10 days. I am itching like crazy, legs are very swollen, actually I think my whole body is swollen. Not sure if I should decrease to 5 mgs. Trouble staying asleep, waking up at 4am with bad headaches. Being treated for anxiety/panic attacks and depression, I have had for 35 yrs...Was on Lexapro and Bupropion for many years now...but I've always felt flat...no panic attacks... but also no other emotions. I hope I can continue to take this and these side effects go away! Good Luck to all who read!

September 9, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by Benicia, CA (taken for less than 1 month):

Brintellix (vortioxetine): My initial experience with Brintellix is very promising. I've suffered from treatment resistive depression and Generalized anxiety disorder for many years. Name it, I've been on it. Many medicines flatlined me emotionally, other's amped anxiety and left me sleepless, others were weight sensitive, causing rapid weight gain (hello Remeron); others worked like a charm - until they stopped working. It's been a 25 year struggle. My new Doc put me on Brintellix and within short days I felt more alert and 'content' with no sleeping problems. No side effects on entry dose of 5 mg. I take 2.5 mg Klonopin when required if I have an anxiety peak - other than that I feel like the "Me" I knew was in there.

159 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2014 1:13 PM

Brintellix (vortioxetine): This Medication is good. Feel so good that I do not feel the need to eat emotionally. I care about myself again and I feel no need to eat poorly. The only problem I am having is the side effects of being super itchy and I do get constipated.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 15, 2014 3:18 AM

Review by AceDoss (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Brintellix (vortioxetine): I have been on every antidepressant under the sun. I kind of started to lose really all hope in everything. SSRI or SNRI's had really negative side effects (mostly sexual) or some would give me "brain zaps" or other issues. Wellbutrin didn't really do much for me but force up my dosage of Klonopin I had to take. All around I would say this one is the best one I have tried so far. I have a very noticeable decrease in Anxiety. I have only been on it for a month, the depression is better but still there and I have random episodes of crying which I never had before(embarrassing as a 26 year old man). No sexual side effects, no known side effects so far minus the crying randomly. Will update later.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 7, 2014 11:06 PM

Review by StevenH86 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Brintellix (vortioxetine): My biggest issue on Brintellix was frequent mood swings. Even at the lowest dose of 5mg, I called my psychiatrist to report that within the first week, my mood would suddenly drop considerably for hours at a time on and off. At 10mg, I became very irritable on this medication in addition to the mood swings. At 20mg, the mood swings became so dramatic my therapist told me that my symptoms reminded him a lot of his patients who have bipolar disorder. I would cry at almost anything for no reason. The only upside of this medication for me was that it indeed did not give me any sexual side effects as advertised.

August 7, 2014 2:44 PM

Review by Joel Midas (taken for less than 1 month):

Started taking Vortioxetine for treatment resistant MDD. I took this medication for only 8 days. The first 3-4 days I had moderate nausea, gas, loose stools and very bad itching that worsened daily. On day 8 my Dr advised me that I was likely having an allergic reaction and had me discontinue the medication. My depression seemed to be starting to lift just a little about day 5.

August 1, 2014 11:35 PM

Review by chendri887:

Brintellix (vortioxetine): I've been on Brintellix for 4 months now. It is providing a mild antidepressant/anti-anxiety effect, but definitely not robust enough for my lifelong generalized anxiety disorder and depression. I'd give a 3.5/10. It's better for me than Viibryd (the medicine it most closely resembles), but I'm still in a state of deep dysfunction. On the positive side, the side effects have been minimal, the most prominent being some decrease in sexual desire and sexual pleasure. (Not really an issue for me though since my anxiety and depression pretty much have a corner on that non-existent aspect of my life). Also, even with my decent insurance, and Takeda's "discount card," the cost for a month's supply of 30mg a day (the dose I'm taking) is about $300. Not affordable.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2014 11:22 PM

Review by story daze:

Brintellix (vortioxetine): This medication has been a blessing. I have fibromyalgia which has caused major depression. I have taken every kind of medication out there that treats both. Side effects from other medications was too much. My doctor prescribed this although it does not treat fibromyalgia pain like most, it has made my mood much better. I feel much more happier and alive. I have only taken this medication for a month. Unlike most depression medication, I felt a huge difference the first day. Many people talk about the side effects of nausea with this medication... I did not have any. If I did it was not a big enough deal to make me notice. Overall, I think this was the best antidepressant I have ever taken and I have so far had no side effects.

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 20, 2014 2:12 AM

Review by Webwiz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Brintellix (vortioxetine): I took 10 mg for a few days but became very uncomfortably manic. So I started to cut the pill and it ends up that I am taking 20 mg over 3 days. This is the end of the 6th week. I have had chronic clinical depression for 27 years. I am taking this with 225 mg of Buproprion a day and 50 mg of Fluvoximine. I experience no improvement and have had more thoughts of suicide in a long time. I see the doc in two weeks. If it is not noticeable by that time, 8 weeks, out it goes.

July 18, 2014 4:12 PM