User Reviews for Viibryd

Learn more about Viibryd.

Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications

Depression 295 reviews 75 medications

6.9
Summary of Viibryd reviews 295 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Viibryd

Review by Flguy (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: I've been on 40mg for almost 8 weeks now. Was working great in the beginning, especially weeks 3-5, but for some reason the beneficial mood effects wore off and I don't feel any different now than before. The only thing I can think of is around that same time I started seeing a shrink and he put me on Xanax XR 0.5mg 1-2 times per day. Could the Xanax XR have killed off the positive effects I was having with the Viibryd? Not sure yet. By the way, I had literally NO negative side effects from taking this medication. I always take it in the morning, never at night. Tried that once and it kept me up all night.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 2, 2014 1:15 PM
Review by draesq: User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: I am at the end of the 2nd week of the starter pack, last 20 mg pill. I feel so much better on this medicine. My depression started after some horrible things happened in my family and it paralyzed me. I didn't want to do anything anymore. I wanted to be left alone. I finally feel happy again. I have been on Zoloft. That worked but I gained too much weight. Effexor didn't really help and Wellbutrin did nothing. This one made a huge difference and quickly. I had diarrhea the first day of each new dose but it quickly went away. No other side effects. I am also sleeping much better. The bottom line is, everyone is so completely different. It is all trial and error.

March 25, 2014 9:58 PM
Review by 45/male/married w/children (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: This medication simply saved my life. Addiction took me down a dangerous path - hiding bottles, attempting to obtain more prescription pain killers, doing it all at night to hide from wife/kids...long dark road for sure. 30 days intensive recovery in a facility, away from everyone just for me, AA meeting and my doctor put me on anti-depressants that just made me groggy, disoriented and volatile at times. Changed a few times till we hit Viibryd. Absolutely amazing from the first few days. 40mg and sometimes a tad more when the waves of irrationality come. Mostly even sailing. Life is enjoyable, work is productive and I am totally plugged back into everyone's life at home. No issues with side effects at all.

March 11, 2014 8:34 AM
Review by Stace' (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: Very positive...been on it 40 mg now and I feel like a very different person, 38 yrs of major gray heavy depression has vanished. I now live in my day not to just get through it.

March 4, 2014 8:43 PM
Review by Ambwee (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: I've been on so many anti depressants. I can't even tell you how many I've tried and none of them had any effect or very little. My doctor started me out on sample pack of Viibryd and gave me a few packs of the 40mg to last me until she gets back from out of the country. I've been on it for a month now and it's been amazing. I have schizoaffective disorder with major depression, panic disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. Viibyrd is amazing. I feel so much better already. I never got any of the side effects other people experienced. It's been nothing but pleasant for me. My mood, energy, everything has gotten so much higher than it has been in years. I'm so excited about my future now. I have so many dreams that I feel like I can now accomplish and I'm very optimistic now.

March 2, 2014 3:04 AM
Review by Lizsmiles (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: Viibryd has honestly changed my life for the better. I've had depression and anxiety for 5 years. I was going to therapy (and I still do), but it was recommended I try some medication because I was not really feeling any better and I was very hesitant. I did 5mg for 2 weeks, 10mg for a week, 20mg for a week, and now I'm on 40mg. I experience NO side effects. No diarrhea or nausea like most people have at the beginning. Not only did my anxiety come under control when I started the 20mg, but I feel happy now. My sex drive has been normal and I've actually lost weight since I started Viibryd since I don't have the urge to eat everything now. It's definitely worth a try.

February 24, 2014 10:46 PM
Review by Phosfate (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: I was one if the unlucky ones, and experienced a ton of negative side effects from Viibriyd: sleep paralysis, falls, insomnia, increased anxiety/panic, loss of concentration, a carnival of digestive effects, dizziness, loss of appetite, forgetfulness, etc. Each increase in dosage made the side effects worse. If I'd had a fraction of my usual judgment I would have asked to be taken off of it after the first week. I'm currently tapering off, and for me, the withdrawal symptoms are totally preferable to the side effects. Viibryd is great for a lot of people, and that's awesome. If it is making you feel worse than when you started, stay in close contact with your doctor and do not hesitate to question whether you should stay on it.

February 19, 2014 11:33 PM
Review by RajTheMaharajah: User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: I'm a 70 year old male, in excellent physical shape, and retired. Problem is a depression and bipolar-2 condition, both of which have haunted me pretty much my entire life. In 1994, my depression became just unbearable, and I started on Prozac...it worked for a while...then it didn't...then we tried something else...then something else...you get the drift. My doctor and I decided to try Viibryd; this is day 10 and I'm taking 10 mg in the morning. This medicine is life changing. Best news is I don't feel any sexual side-effects--actually, my sex-drive seems somewhat on the increase. Who's complaining about that?

February 14, 2014 5:23 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: In 3 days, I felt better. Titrated to 40mg. The medicine turned evil. My heart pounding with strong palpitations. As I was falling asleep, had feeling of leaving my body & hovering over myself being awake in a horrifying world that seemed absolutely real. Sleep paralysis. Dr. added beta-blocker for heart. Gained 21lbs in 6wks. Decided to stop it. Dr. said go from 40-20. I couldn't do that suddenly-I needed to go down slowly. I went from 40-30mg. Night terrors lessened. Went to 25, then 20. Felt good at 20; heart calmed down for a few days. Thought I'd stay at 20 but then the evil again. 18, 15, 10, 5, 3mg. It's taken over a month to come off it. 1st day without it. Feel down & edgy. Started Wellbutrin.

February 12, 2014 11:55 AM
Review by Joshs (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: Well, started to get panic attacks about 1.5 years ago (after the loss of our first unborn child). I was put on Paxil (20m) first which worked great but killed sex drive. Got switched to Viibryd (40m) and stayed on it for about 5-6 months. Quit because it made me tired all of the time and thought mentally I had figured out how to control the Panic Attacks without meds. That worked for about 2 months until they came back with a vengeance. Got back on it and just been taking (20mg), I haven't lost the weight (50lbs) but haven't actually made it to the gym to try. I still feel tired all of the time, coupled with a 10 month old baby girl, but I haven't had to take any Clonazepam to fight off an attack since I got back on. Works for me.

February 10, 2014 5:03 PM
Review by RVKientz: User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: These reviews have confirmed what I've been thinking for a few months now. I've been waking up at 3 am like clock work, I'm irritated at the smallest things, gained 20 lbs and just feel down all the time. I was on Effexor and Zoloft for years until they stopped working for me so my Dr tried me on Viibryd. Worst move ever. I want to beat my fists against everything and everyone. Going to see him next week and demanding to be changed to something else.

February 5, 2014 5:21 AM
Review by dpaw9212: User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: I'd switched to Viibryd from Effexor XR October 21,2013. Transition was fine, 10 mg dose for a week I felt great..better than in years..up to 20, amazing..few side effects, soft multiple stools..not much more. Was going to stay at 20mg until I started having random anxiety attacks throughout the day. So took it to 40mg..what a nightmare! I turned bipolar, paranoid, and more anxiety. Back down to 20mg, was better for a bit, but now I have diarrhea daily and having 3am panic attacks. Seeing doctor this week, getting off Viibryd..sigh. I really wanted this one to work.

February 1, 2014 4:34 PM
Review by Mo1234: User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: I have been taking 20 mg for about 2 months and it is great for me. It helps my bi- polar depression and anxiety.

January 26, 2014 9:15 PM
Review by Kdp43: User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: I have taken many different SSRI's for over 30 years. All worked for quite a while, but then I have to be switched to something else. I have been taking Viibryd for 7 months and I am going to get off of it. I had some gastrointestinal issues at first, some awful, reoccurring realistic dreams, and withdrawal symptoms when I missed a dose by a few hours. Now I have become an angry person with frequent headaches. My depression is the worst it has ever been. 2% of the population will have problems with a medicine, so be aware that it might not occur when you first start taking Viibryd. My insurance would not cover Viibryd until I had a special consideration form submitted by my Doctor.

January 24, 2014 10:02 AM
Review by virginia girl: User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: I too was excited at first to try it. It was great the first month with the exception of very vivid dreams sometimes nightmares. I would often wake crying. i felt great but then reading these reviews, i find that my recent mood changes have been because of this medication. I have been blaming PMS on everything but everything gets on my nerves, my dogs barking, the clicking of their nails on the floor, even my kids eating and of course my husband can't do anything right. I was very pleased with the medication at first. felt like a new person, but now i see that the way i have been feeling could be because of the Viibryd. It didn't even dawn on me. I wish I had read these reviews sooner. I am going to contact my doctor today

January 22, 2014 3:40 PM
Review by Brouk (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: This medicine worked miracles for me! I absolutely love it! It is very effective and works in days, instead of weeks! When I first started taking it 40 mg I was really out of it and sleepy but I got used to it and now it gives me energy and puts me in a great mood! Best anti-depressant/ anxiety medication ever and always remember there are side effects to EVERY medicine.

January 18, 2014 11:14 AM
Review by sue from Syracuse: User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: I have been on Viibryd 10 mg for about a month. For the last week or so I have become a nasty monster that no one wants to be around. Getting in touch with my psych to get me off this asap!

December 31, 2013 11:01 AM
Review by Pamella Peach (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: In reading the reviews, I take my 40mg dose of Viibryd in the morning with a light breakfast, as I am also type 2 diabetic. The titrated dosage worked to perfection, and I an focused, energetic, and not gaining weight. Perhaps the error is evening dosing. I once accidentally took it at bedtime, and was awake for the whole night. My feeling is evening dosing is an error on the part of the practitioner.

December 29, 2013 7:31 AM
Review by kbc123: User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: Me and my mother were put on this medication at the same time and while she loved it and had almost no side effects, it caused everything from a constant upset stomach and nausea to insanely scary nightmares for me. It didn't help my depression or anxiety at all.

December 29, 2013 1:07 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: I am a 45 year old male who has has been diagnosed with GAD that has been bad for about three years. I have tried Paxil, Prozac, Effexor, and one or two other drugs that I could not tolerate. The side effects were worse than the anxiety I was trying to help. Seven weeks ago my P doc suggested trying Viibryd. I reluctantly started it. I am highly sensitive to medicines af any type, so my doc started me at 5 mg and moved me up to 10mg at 4 weeks. The first two weeks were great with marked improvement, and then my anxiety spiked up pretty bad. My doc encouraged me to continue and that this can be normal. I had a rough time until week 5 when things started to level off. I'm now into week seven, and I feel great. Stick it out!

November 23, 2013 10:39 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: i got on this medicine because i had some anxiety and depression. i have been on it for about a year n a half, and i have gained 40+ pounds. when i first started they said you dont gain weight, yeah right!!! i loved the medicine at first but now i am always tired and always have diarriah. its so inconvenet. i feel i need to switch but im not to sure what else will work. since i have been on almost everything else

November 12, 2013 2:28 PM
Review by hil24me: User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: I got diarrhea, headache, muscle ache, flu like symptoms.

November 12, 2013 11:31 AM
Review by RandoFatGuy (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: WARNING!!! It works great but it DOES make you gain a lot of weight!!! I have absolutely loved this drug until a few minutes ago when I started searching for the cause of my rapid weight gain. I never once considered Viibryd because I was told it had no effect. Today I did a search on Bing and that search has now changed my life.

November 9, 2013 3:07 PM
Review by donewithpsychiatrists (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: I was on Paxil....in hopes of trying to find a drug perhaps more effective my doctor put me on Viibryd. I was weaned off of Paxil in 3 weeks, and put on Viibryd. After 3 weeks on the drug, I started having the absolute worst panic attacks of my life. My poop turned green, and I had sleep paralysis!!! NO DRUG should EVER do that to a person...I weaned off this poison and I am through with psychiatrists. I do not recommend this drug to anyone! I was in complete misery for months and took my body a while to get back to where it was.

November 7, 2013 12:57 PM
Review by Happy in Florida: User Rating:

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: I've completed a starter pack and am 2wks into my second month @ 40mg/day. At week three of my starter pack up through yesterday, I felt better than I had in over a year! Not unlike most users, I have also experienced GI issues that I hope will subside evenutally and I experience missing a dose for two days which made me panic a bit. Yesterday, however, I began to notice new side effects - lingering ache at the base of my skull and my back aches and is stiff and I've lost all the energy and sharpness that I previously experienced. Based on many of the other user posts, I think I may need to go down on my dose. However, If I am able to return to the initial results for Viibryd, it's definitely a win and would change my rating to 10!

November 5, 2013 12:58 PM