User Reviews for Vilazodone

Also known as: Viibryd

Learn more about Vilazodone.

Anxiety 15 reviews 60 medications

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder 3 reviews 13 medications

2.5
Summary of Vilazodone reviews 396 reviews 6.1

Reviews for Vilazodone

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "I've been on 10mg for 8 months. Within a week, I felt the "cloud" lift and things seemed clearer. I wasn't wired or feeling speedy at all but I was able to focus on things and get on with my life. When I started taking it, I was taking it in the morning and I would have bad diarrhea. I was worried that I would have to discontinue use. Over time I found if I took it in the evening on a full stomach, usually about an hour after dinner, I didn't get diarrhea. Try this if you are having similar side effects. Losing 1 star due to cost."

SeeingClearly August 2, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "After several months of taking this I needed to go on insulin but did not relate to the medication at the time. Since stopping because of headaches and fuzzy feeling in my head, my blood sugars are now lower than they have been."

cadwed (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I started viibryd just yesterday on a starter pack from my doctor that I requested. I've tried SEVERAL different antidepressants since I was a teenager: Paxil, Zoloft, cymbalta, celexa, lexapro, and the list goes on. So this brings me to viibryd. I would strongly advise you be very careful with this one. It has strongly resembled an amphetamine for me. I'm on a 10 mg dose and already I woke up an hour and 15 min earlier this morning(1 day) I felt very alert throughout the entire day at work, and even still feel so wired I can't imagine going to sleep for several more hours(it's 10:30 pm). I'm not sure about titrating to 20mg with this current effect. I'll see how it goes and keep you all updated! Any reaction from others would be helpful!"

Hilskycha (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "This medicine almost killed me. Symptoms worst at 40 mg but there earlier. I ended up in the ER twice and was admitted to the hospital for days after a month with uncontrollable diarrhea, vomiting and the worse abdominal cramps I've ever had before anyone realize it was the Viibryd. I pass kidney stones regularly, so I have a super high pain tolerance and the lower abdominal pain from Viibryd was as bad if not worse than that. I had uncontrollable leg and body spasms and agitation and anxiety through the roof. Tapering off the stuff ended up being just as bad, every time I took the tapered dose I felt like I was taking poison and I would go into convulsions. less serious side effects including, eye pain, odd vaginal discharg"

Ponine July 24, 2015

For Depression: "It works great for my depression but my libido completely disappeared, that makes me fell bad... I guess I'll try bupropion."

Paul Walker (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Took 10 mg sample for three weeks straight; usually after dinner around 9:30 PM every night. Helped with a "calm" feeling but would wake up in the middle of the night and then toss/turn. Didn't seem to alter my mood in the AM (i.e., didn't wake up feeling refreshed or less depressed). Had three weeks of mild diarrhea and dry mouth. No other noticeable side-effects like nightmares. The depression has affected marriage/work/friend relations. On to the next set of meds."

Guest_KS (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "Been on for a few months - up to 40mg - feeling great as far as mood goes. DO have some break through anxiety but that will get better with time. Notice you DO HAVE TO TAKE WITH FOOD - or your stomach does get really upset. I have also noticed weight gain/or bloating. So the weight gain being 10 pounds may be some water weight as well. I've taken other meds that don't work this effectively so will give this a definite try for awhile and see if it continues to help me with my mood disorder. Bless all out there that have this terrible disorder...."

Iowa13 July 13, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "I think Viibryd made my liver hurt. I started having weird pains on my right side under my upper ribcage shortly after I started taking it. I stopped taking it because it didn't work all that well for my depression. I noticed after I stopped taking it the pains disappeared completely. I told my Dr. and he wrote me off as crazy. Maybe I am crazy, but the pain coincided directly with starting and stopping Viibryd. Another reason I stopped besides it not working that well was the cost. It was too expensive for me and insurance wouldn't cover much of it."

DogEatDogWorld July 9, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "Have been on the medication about a year. Has worked wonders for me. When increasing or decreasing dose I experienced terrible nightmares. I am on a steady dose of 40mg and no problems at all. Major drawback is price and getting insurance companies to cover it. Needed to make a difficult choice of do I pay the price and feel good, or do I try something cheaper? After being on other meds that do not work half as good as this , I decided to suck it up and find a way to stay on it."

AJinFla July 5, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "I had no major side effects on this med & it's helped my anxiety & depression. I've been taking it for 6 months. I titrated up to 20mg. The Med was helping my mood but I had diarrhea that wasn't temporary so they put me on 10mg. The 10mg is working just fine for me but I still get diarrhea every now & then whereas I didn't before starting Viibryd Something peculiar- it seems since starting Viibryd, my guts are intolerant to veggies I ate fine before I started the med. Lettuces (even organic from the grocery not sprayed w/preservatives, cooked cauliflower etc run right through me now. It's common for ppl to have this affect w/o this med but I never was sensitive. Not sure if there is a correlation. It's not crampy so for now staying on Viibryd."

lesweet1 July 3, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "I have been on different SRIs for over 15 years and I couldn't take this one. Even at 10 mg the insomnia was ridiculous. I think this drug was also the cause of my chest pains. Quit after 2 weeks."

Another bad experience (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "Do not take this!! I've only been on this for a month and gained ten pounds without even over eating. I also had a racing heart and couldn't breath. I've been on at least fifteen different antidepressants and I have to say stay away from this please."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I think it works amazing, but I have been taking it for almost a year now and I'm starting to gain a lot of water weight!!! I started out at 155 and now I am up to 183! This is huge for me! I'm going to request water pills to take this water weight off"

Singlemumof2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 17, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "I have been taking 20 mg of Viibryrd for 5 months. I titrated up very slowly and found that 30mg cause restless leg so I went back down to 20mg. The side effects, like day time sleepiness and gastrointestinal annoyances must be worked through. They pass. My anxious depression has lifted and I feel better that I have felt in years. In conjunction with the meds, I have continued to do depth psychology and psycho-spritual work which I think have also contributed to how well I feel. People notice how bright I appear. I am doing better than ever at work and still have energy to run my household. Recently, I was even able to return to the gym. The only side effect I notice is gas and loose stools, a bit of bloat in the gut."

Washington State Gal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "Titrated up to 40mg over two weeks and then tried riding it out for another couple of weeks. Eventually I could not take another day and discontinued the medication. Not only did I not experience relief, but I feel my symptoms worsened while taking Viibryd. I was more irritable, restless, angry, upset, and anxious than I had ever been in my entire life. Also experienced a lot of nausea and headaches"

lukesoloway June 9, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "Abnormal dreams or more like nightmares. This medication unleashed all of my demons leaving me with severe panic attacks. Upon awakening I would not know if what I was feeling was real or not. This is not a drug to use with someone who has severe PTSD."

Jernst June 6, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I started taking this medication a month ago. My doctor had been prescribing me Xanax for 10 years and felt this was the cure for my anxiety. I experienced worsening anxiety and panic attacks. I felt really irritable and still do. By the 5th week I was beginning to feel hopeless and not wanting to get out of bed. I'm always tired, and I have gained 10 lbs in 5 weeks. I'm supposed to take it for another month and if it still doesn't help then I get to taper off. I accidentally missed a dose and felt miserable. I had no energy, and felt like electric shocks were popping my brain cells. I still have anxiety and feel like this medication gave me depression."

Salsberry June 4, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "Vibbryd is a saint and a devil. I have been on it for almost two years. It saved me as I was going of the deep end and I could no longer contain my anger and every day little things would set me off. The side effects when first going on were AWFUL. The demonic dreams were the worst but this all happened when I jumped from 20 mg to 40 mg. I solved this by taking 30mg for a while then going to 40 mg. No more rage. I take everything in stride. My mind is clear and I function perfectly. Now for the devil. You have to take this around the same time everyday. If I forget I always know. I start to itch and get a headache. The nightmares if forgotten are terrible. Its as if they are real. Just remember to take every day! Preferably in the morning"

Mom of 2 in school June 1, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Traumatic experience caused me to suffer major depressive disorder. Tried therapy, didn't work. Finally tried medication two years later. Doctor prescribed me viibryd. Took my first dose in the morning, by lunch time I felt sick and nauseated. Had to leave work bc I felt so awful. My doctor lowered my dose and I didn't feel nearly as bad the next four weeks. I didn't notice a change in my mood. I went on vacation and forgot to pack my meds (I know how horrible it is to stop taking my meds) the come down was un real... I spent the whole vacation in bed too tired to leave.. When I arrived home from vacation I took my meds again and I was instantly sick. I began hallucinating and puking, it felt like a bad acid trip."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "I started Viibryd -- 20 mg/day -- over a year ago, when going thru a prolonged low. Like alot of folks, I've tried many different things in 20+ years, gone thru the rollercoaster of titrating on, titrating off, having stuff work then stop working, etc. To my surprise, Viibryd has helped -- though the diarrhea and so forth were super annoying at first (then gradually abated). Unlike most anti-depressants, I could feel an effect within first week or two, even titrating very gradually. I recently went up to 40/mg. Mood brighter, helps clear up the brain fog. Various effects on body: deeper sleep, intense dreams, increased sex drive (almost annoying), as well as GI stuff. So far, so good"

LisaMMMM (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 30, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "I'm having problems with bad dreams and I have been on it for 2 months. I have migraine also and it seems to make their worse .I was on Lexapro and should go back. I loss my son 7 years ago that is why I'm on medicine"

Anonymous May 29, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "I have been experiencing increasing anxiety the more I progress into menopause. Tried Cymbalta and it made me so drowzy that I was afraid of falling asleep while driving. Started on Vybrid about 2 months ago and I feel fabulous. My anxiety is totally under control and I have energy to go out and do things. Recently lost 5 pounds because I had the energy to work in the yard. There has been some diarrhea but it does not bother me as the benefits are such a difference in how I feel."

Antiques for Me (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Diagnosed with Major Depression. Started using this drug after taking Lexapro, Zoloft and Elavil. I suffered from nausea when this medication was taken without food. I was told that I would experience diarrhea as an initial side effect; however, this became chronic. I missed one dose (after being on this medication and taking it consistently at the same time of day each day for four months) and had a major crying fit- to the extent that my nose started bleeding. I have been switched to Brintellix as the side effects of this medication were too extreme."

WED4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "Viibryd worked wonders for me. I have to admit the first week was hell as it made me extremely anxious but after the transition I couldn't believe the difference it made. The only problem I ran into was insurance companies don't want to pay for it because it is expensive. I ended up having to switch to another drug that was not nearly as effective. I'm thinking about going back on Viibryd and paying for it out of pocket. I just have to ask myself what is happiness worth??"

Mark In Jeff May 20, 2015

Viibryd (vilazodone) for Depression: "This was a terrible bad drug choice for me. I was impatient, aggressive and down right awful. I lost some really important relationships when I took that medication."

Depressed Dora (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2015