User Reviews for Effexor (Page 2)

Learn more about Effexor.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 17 reviews 46 medications

7.6
Depression 211 reviews 78 medications

6.3
Postpartum Depression 1 reviews 7 medications

Summary of Effexor reviews 231 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Effexor

For Major Depressive Disorder "I stopped taking this medicine briefly, for around 5 days, due to the "speed effect" and had to go right back on it, due to brain zaps!! I was (and still am) only taking 75 mg daily (once in the am). I take 1 mg of Xanax daily, but if I take it AFTER the Effexor, it won't work. I decided to switch it around and take it BEFORE the antidepressant and it works a LITTLE better, but not much. I used to take it early in the afternoon and was up all night. Now as long as I take it before 1 pm, I sleep fine. I've been taking it since January of 2014 and have noticed me being much calmer, still anxious at times, but much better before prescribed to me! It DOES cause, weight loss, drowsiness and fatigue if I take it while lying down."

Costillo December 7, 2015

For Depression "I've been on depression and anxiety medicine my whole life. I've dealt with some crappy medications EFFEXOR was by far the worst thing ever. I'm a 20 year old college student so I need to always be motivated. This medicine has caused everything in my life to go down hill. My grades are falling, I'm constantly angry, and feel sick and not wanting to eat. I LOVE TO EAT so this concerned me very much. And today I wasn't able to get my pills refilled in time, because I've been ridiculously lazy. So now I'm going through the flu symptoms that come along with this medication if you don't take it. I feel like balling my eyes out. Because every move I make right now makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. Don't take this medication. It's not worth it."

Moe20 December 1, 2015

For Depression "I wanted to be happy and better liked all around. Well, depression subsided, was able to apply for jobs, handled my father's death better than I should have (numb.) Landed a job with the post office, thought Effexor was sent from the heavens. Wrong! Gave me severe blurred vision. I first thought that maybe I needed new glasses. So, I told myself I'd make that my first priority when I get my first check from the post office. Well, I was hired for a job that requires driving. Needless to say, I lost my job immediately after I had gotten the job due to unable to see things (curbs, street signs, license plates) clearly. Been off for over a month, and vision remains blurred. Have reapplied at PO, no call backs."

Kcscholvin November 26, 2015

For Depression "I had been on cipralex (lexapro) for about a year when I noticed I was feeling too tired all the time for my liking. I asked about SNRI's because they tend to give more "energy". I got switched to Effexor and didn't have a good experience at all. I couldn't stop thinking about terrible things, I had bad anxiety, excessive sweating at night and my heart would race too much too often. I had to get off after 9 weeks because it was not working for me at all. It made me really appreciate the escitalopram I was taken before. Clearly different antidepressants work differently for others. I'm just sharing my own experience. Some may do really well on Effexor, unfortunately I didn't."

mcpickle November 24, 2015

For Depression "If i could i would give this a 0. i was put on Effexor for anxiety, the little depression that i had and i was told by my doctor that it would help with nausea. All was fine for a while, but when i ran out of the pills i would get very violently ill and could barely see straight. Effexor messed with me emotionally, it made me more depressed and had a opposite effect on me. NOW getting off the pills was the worst. it took 6 months from 150mg to 0. brain zaps, could barely walk in a straight line, walls would be moving and feeling sick 24/7. My advise to anyone is take Effexor with caution and just remember your body will become dependent on Effexor."

kingproductions18 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2015

For Depression "I was prescribed effexor on Monday and I have had the worst experience with it. Its now Saturday and I can't sleep for more than like 2 hours at a time I can't eat and I feel so foggy worst experience ever"

Rachaelrs October 31, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Don't take it. Your emotions become dull and feel fake. Even your laughter feels fake. Your sleep becomes horrible. You overeat because you don't care anymore. The first week you feel like you're on meth. It feels great. Then it wears away and you become a dull and empty mess with memory problems and no motivation to do anything including getting off of the medicine. It's easier just to take it. I'm in my second week of withdrawal. I would just take 8-10 beads when I would get dizzy and it would go away. ez-pz. My depression did come back even worse. Maybe it's my minds way of telling me I'm not doing anything to make my life better. Maybe I should change my life instead of taking a pill, especially this pill."

AnotherDanApparently (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 25, 2015

For Depression "Burned areas on the tongue with discoloration and blisters"

Rnbsnjd October 23, 2015

For Depression "I am now in the final phases of weaning off effexor. When I started this drug I thought it was amazing, it was a miracle drug I wasn't having my usual major mood swings and panic attacks were less, but as the weeks went on it was less an less effective. I missed a pill once and made sure that I never did again because of the immediate withdrawal I had felt worse than I ever had before. About 4 months into taking this drug I started to experience side effects and oh man are they awful! I mistook the side effects and thought increasing the dose would fix the issue, but nope it just increased the severity .So now I am in the final stages of discontinuing effexor and I feel awful. I wouldn't advise not taking the drug, as it works great for some."

Kat782 October 13, 2015

For Depression "Was on Effexor for a little over a year and a half. I am a 25 year old female, approximately 5'5". When I began taking this medication I was sitting around 165, I was prescribed 37.5 mg after switching doctors due to moving, everything worked fine until I was on it for about 6 months, no side effects, no crazy reactions. After the 6 month period I began feeling slower, less emotion, yet increased anger at little things a couple of times a month. Forgetting this pill was never an option as the nausea and headaches were out of control. I finally went back yesterday to be switched off it to something different and was prescribed Wellbutrin, so today is my first full day off and my clarity is slightly back just beginning a day without it."

Bmerce02 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 13, 2015

For Depression "I was put on EFFEXOR for depression & anxiety. (Was on PAXIL for many years) I told the nurse /practitioner I felt pretty good but always wondered if there was "something better"After starting on EFFEXOR I did have vivid dreams,and headachy,nausea & dizziness and unable to have an intense orgasm (always fell short.)The big problem came when I ran out of pills and they wouldn't refill until I saw a nurse. So w/o my pills for 3 days..OMG! Terrible withdrawals..dripping w sweat,terrible headaches, insomnia, nausea, diarrhea to feeling hopeless & extreme dizziness AWFUL!!! DON'T RUN OUT! I was terrified of going off the pill (switching to wellbutrin) Day two on 1/2 tab and so far so good!:) effexor may have its place..just not w ME!:) you need to wean off them slowly!!!"

51 yr old woman October 8, 2015

For Depression "Effexor has helped me, but it took weeks for the initial side effects to go down enough for me to be comfortable. I could hardly eat and sleep for a week. It got better over time, but it was painfully slow and after a few weeks on the stuff, I was exhausted. The side effects never went away completely but I can manage to eat and sleep enough now. Effexor also makes me have really intense, long, complex dreams. They are usually quite interesting and I enjoy having them for the most part. Sometimes its hard getting back to the real world after having woken up with such interesting stories and intricating plotlines in my head, but its worth it in my opinion. Life is more manageable now."

DiegoXander October 5, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I took Effexor for many years. I believe I was becoming resistant to it because it wasn't addressing my depression anymore. I tapered off as slowly as possible and I can safely say it is the worst withdrawal I have ever had in my life. Nausea, dizziness, sickly feeling, huge brain zaps, lethargy, headaches. It was horrible. I am so glad to be off of it. My new medication, wellbutrin and lexapro are much better in controlling my chronic major depression. I will never be off drugs, but I would never take this drug again."

Tinteardrop (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 22, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "17 years ago I had a breakdown with anxiety and depression - tried aropax and it was hell on earth. Changed to efexor, it started working after 3 weeks. I've been on it for 17 years or so on various doses between 150 and 375 and it's been amazing. I worry about health side effects but it's been a life saver, no longer a wreck but can cope."

Meeee12345 September 19, 2015

For Depression "Horrible experience, although everyone is different. I was on 150mg, I am currently tapering off while switching to Welbutrin. With Effexor tapering is necessary. I've tried going off cold turkey and the withdrawals are like nothing I've ever experience. I had intense brain zaps (google it), flu like symptoms, could easily sleep half a day away. Even if you miss one day, you experience these withdrawal symptoms. While on it, it only worked somewhat well for a month or so. I experienced light nausea which went away. I also experienced impotence and unable to climax which has not gone away. Now that I'm tapering and introducing Welbutrin the sexual side effects seem to be getting better."

Brockmeow (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 11, 2015

For Depression "I was given this medication after a major panic episode and I noticed a good change a few weeks after taking it. It helps your mind wander and not focus on the bad things. It also just made me a generally happier person. However, I skipped a few days (I'm on the 75mg) and the side effects were terrible. I got hot flashes, awful nightmares, I was so dizzy I could barely walk, I was disoriented and couldn't focus on anything, and I was absolutely exhausted. I started taking it normally again but it makes me a little nervous to stop taking it permanently... Before taking this medication I would definitely weigh "do I want to be on this for a really long time?" Or "I can tough this out.""

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2015

For Depression "I have been taking Effexor for several years, first starting at 50, 75 then 150mg. As far as treating my depression it has been the best. I am a totally different person when taking it. I do have weird dreams, but I would rather have those than be a living nightmare in reality. What I do not like about Effexor is that it excaberates my chronic constipation condition. I have tried taking other anti-depressants, but they did not work as well treating my depression as Effexor."

N.L. August 24, 2015

For Depression "I just started about two weeks ago. I completely see a difference in myself for the better. My children are even noticing the difference in my reactions to basic things. I won't say I don't feel anything..but this is a period in my life...feeling nothing is what I need. I am able react to situations with logic. Instead of being on the emotional roller coaster all the time! I was suicidal two weeks ago. I took my kids zip-lining yesterday. I needed this. I'll deal with the withdraws later..this medication saved my life. I work out 4days a week so no energy loss. I don't feel a change in my appetite yet. I did have headaches yesterday briefly. dreams.. falling dream a few times. No weight gain so far. Sex. I don't have a desire yet."

My life matters now August 23, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Increase dose more slowly than the doctor says. I was convinced I was actually in hell for a week after increasing my dose for one single day. It helps my situation, but it ruins my memory, kills motivation, kills desire or will to do anything. A cool and crisp morning loses that good feeling and your sleep sucks causing you to be tired all day. I would recommend to take a dose only on days you feel awful. Maybe 15mg. I regret taking this every day. The withdrawal is worse than alcohol, tobacco and other SSRIs combined."

DanMedicineReview August 19, 2015

For Depression "I was on Effexor for over 10 yrs. I finally got off this in Dec. 2013 and as of today, July 2015, I'm still having those brain zips several times a day. Last July, I started with a vibration and severe pain in my feet. It's all nerve connected and I think it's from long term use of Effexor. This medication works great for depression but the side effects are not worth it."

KYL August 4, 2015

For Depression "I was prescribed Effexor for anxiety and depression and while it does work in some ways, it is not worth it. I was taking 75 mg once a day and it seemed to make me feel calmer and a little more at ease at first, but the side effects made me decide to stop it, and coming off was terrible. My side effects were inability to get any good sleep, taking forever to climax during sex, and never being able to get anything done. The overall feeling I felt was that everything just seemed blunted. Once I stopped the withdrawals were horrible. I felt hungover for about 4 days. In addition to that during the withdrawal time I would sometimes feel like I could just explode and punch a hole in the wall for no reason. Would never try again."

Adam m July 29, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been on 225mg for four years and I've liked it for the lack of side effects. Now I think it isn't working well. I'm kind of worried about 300mg."

Zoogie (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2015

For Depression "My experience with Effexor was absolutely terrible. I was prescibed this for my depression (3rd medication I tried) The reason I gave it 2/10 was because I didn't feel any worse mentally on this (did not feel the slightest bit better either), but if it wasn't for that I would have given it a 0/10 if possible. The side effects and withdrawal was absolutely terrible. The head "zaps" started to cause unbearable migraines, I had no appetite, and my vision was blurred some days. The withdrawal was something I've never experienced before and I hope that I will never have to go through it again. I was completely bed ridden due to the unbearable migraines, sweating, and vomiting. Everyone is different, but this did not work out for me."

Jessie62 July 20, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been through the gamut of antidepressant meds. Celexa, Lexapro, cymbalta, Zoloft, fetzima and several others over the last 13 years. My doctor kept leading me away from Effexor because of the bad withdrawals it has. This drug is working pretty well so far. My insurance lapsed tho once. I went without meds for 4 days and I was on a high dose. She was right about those withdrawals. The worst I've ever had. Severe nightmares, sweats, extremely low energy, brain zaps, every noise would set my head in a tailspin. I've had pain med withdrawal and benzo withdrawal and nothing compares to coming of this med. Thankfully my insurance kicked back in and after a day and half I was starting to feel better again. It works. But not w/o risks"

lasthope83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2015

For Depression "Works Pretty well. Yet Its Terribly Hard To Stop The Pill. Horrible WithDrawls"

Miss Ash (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 10, 2015