User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Postpartum Depression 1 reviews 7 medications

Bulimia 0 reviews 7 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Effexor reviews 181 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Effexor

For Depression "I have taken medications for 10 years, and they have, basically, helped me cope with depression. Effexor is outstanding. I take it in the morning, and it helps all day."

missykfish (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 25, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I started this medicine in nursing school. Very much so needed. I started seeing myself with less worry, and a more of a "whatever" type of mentality. I figured that worked for me. However, my biggest problem has been the weight gain. Before I knew it I gained atleast 25 lbs. I'm a very active person and I do what wait I eat, especially since I am a cardiac nurse. Also make sure you NEVER miss a day of the medication. My side effects would be vertigo and shooting nerve pains in my head. I just upped my dosage to 150mg hoping it will increase my energy and help with weight loss. I was really bad off emotionally before so besides everything above, I have my life back."

The cardiac nurse October 23, 2014

For Depression "Worked quite well for sometime. Had side effects which were attributed to another medicine I was on at the time. Through trial and error it was discovered the other medicine was not at fault. I was having kidney problems along with frequent edema in my legs and feet. Also constant mucus and tightness in throat. Helped with depression but side effects became serious. Also weight gain. Dr tapered me off this medicine."

nynyer (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 19, 2014

For Depression "Celexa stopped working and I was put on Effexor. My panic attacks are worse then they have ever been, my depression is totally off the charts and I physically shake all the time. The irritability is by far the worst part for me. I'm forever angry now on this medication. My friends and family have noticed a big difference in my personality. Definitely getting of of this medication!"

j1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2014

For Depression "Switched from Paxil 20mg to Effexor 75mg. On Paxil I just couldn't lose weight and my insurance wanted me to try an SRNI before they would pay for the newer meds like Brintellix. At first I noticed a decrease in anxiety THEN I went to work!! My job is very stressful and I have to be SPOT on!! First I noticed anxiety returning then that I was clumsy..dropping things! I then started noticing numbness and tingling in my fingers and then waking up with numb arms which would not wake up for up to 7hrs!!! I did some research and noticed that numbness/tingling of the extremities is a side effect for 20% of people taking Effexor. The numbness scared me to death! I immediately went to my Shrink and got off this damn drug! I'm going to Lexapro! Ugh!"

Cancer Crab September 23, 2014

For Depression "Was so excited to try Effexor XL and did for the past 6 years. Well, I didn't realize that it made me anhedonia, or without feeling towards a lot of things. I just went on my merry way, but would do nothing....sat and watched TV, couldn't get anything done. Everything was just Great!.....that is what I thought....then I started gaining weight......gradually, but I mean 60-70# over the past 6 years or so.....but just kept on eating. Then I thought I have to do something about this. I gradually took myself off, but WOW the side effects of the withdrawl was unbelievable. My son told me never to do that again...and I told him see.....this medication has so changed me.....and I will never take that again....!Trying to lose this weight now"

Kayde September 23, 2014

For Major Depressive Disorder "I use venlafaxine for major depression and to help with migraines. When on it my headaches have decreased."

cowbranch (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 2, 2014

For Depression "Great experience on Effexor. Was very anxious; maybe a little depression. Panic attacks, etc. Effexor gave me a great bump within 3 days at each dose. Ultimately, went up to 225mg (2 years). I was a new person; no worries, loving life. Went down to 150mg (2 years), and then down to 75mg (2 years). No problems. After 7 years, went off. Then I started to feel very badly again, went back on to now avail. But the 7 years I was on it, I felt tremendous. Great med for me."

King Bean (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 4, 2014

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "As with all antidepressants, I tend to peak after about 5 years and my medication begins to lose its efficacy. This is the third time I have had Effexor prescribed, and each time the results have been better than with any other antidepressant. I actually enjoy parts of my life and sleep like a baby, which is a true blessing, because I have Fibromyalgia and the accompanying insomnia so common with Fibromyalgia. Several years ago my brother-in-law was having trouble with his depression medications so I told him to ask his doctor about Effexor. He has gone from suicidal to a fairly happy fellow. This medicine has literally been a life saver in our family."

Tepper August 2, 2014

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I took Effexor for three years due to depression. I loved the fact that I was no longer depressed but I was tired all the time. I could sleep for 10 hours get up and two hours later I was ready to sleep again. If I missed taking a dose I would get a horrible headache. The only reason I stopped taking Effexor was due to being tired all the time. Getting off of the medication was awful. I have never been so sick in my life. If you are going to take this medicine the rest of your life I highly recommend it. It did wonders for my depression."

Anonymous July 29, 2014

For Major Depressive Disorder "I started taking Effexor at age 19 after about 2 1/2 years on Prozac. The reason for the switch was that I developed anxiety problems at that age in addition to depression, and the Prozac was not treating the anxiety. Effexor works very well to treat both anxiety and depression but if I stop taking it for even 1-2 days (which is often because I am very forgetful) I become extremely depressed for the next 1-2 days. Right now I am in one such down swing after taking my Effexor for the first time in about 5 days. If you avoid doing that though you should be fine, the medication does help a lot."

Cherno (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 10, 2014

For Depression "I am a physically healthy (runner) 25 year old male. I have never been mentally healthy, so I have tried antidepressants. I tried Prozac and Wellbutrin. Prozac didn't help or hurt ,but it gave me dangerous mood swings. I was prescribed Effexor 2.5 months ago. It seemed a perfect fit for me. I was wrong. I was on 75 mg each day. It actually made me sadder. I had no weight or sexual side-effects but had vertigo. The worst was CRIPPLING insomnia while taking it, and now I am close to 0 mg, but I still get night sweats and "brain zaps". As I write this, I've had 13 hours of sleep in the past 5 days. "

Lawrence Jones (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2014

For Depression "I started this medication about 4 months ago after being on Prozac for 5 months. Antidepressants react differently for everyone, and I am happy to say I have had a very good experience with this medication thus far. I have much more energy, will to live, and my anxiety has also decreased immensely. I have not experienced any side effects with this, however I strongly recommend staying away from alcohol. After a night of drinking I would fall into a depressive state or have a panic attack. This never happened to me before taking this medication."

Gc6644 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2014

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I give this a 7 because it does work. BUT be very cautious of the side effects. I was on it for 2 years, first started on the regular dose, then switched to extended release as the medicine would "wear off" throughout the day. While it helped tremendously with my depression and anxiety (it was almost non-existent) the side effects alone were debilitating. I gained 20 pounds, would fall asleep midday (we're talking I had to pry my eyes open to keep from passing out in the middle of a conversation), I was tired ALL DAY. I sweat PROFUSELY and the dizziness I experienced from missing a dose by only a few minutes, plus the heart palpitations were enough for me to stop. "

Aymie520 May 13, 2014

For Depression "This medicine has helped for about 10 yrs. It makes me a little sleepy. I did not gain 1 pound on it."

htas (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 12, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I took this for a few years in my late teens for severe depression and self harm tendencies. It worked well for me. The only downfall is the effects one experiences if one forgets a dose or stops taking the medicine without approval from one's medical provider. In my opinion the honest truth is this: it can be a wonderful, miracle for severe depression and anxiety. It can make a person more outgoing in their environment and provide someone with more energy. The only downfall I ever experienced with it was the withdrawal effects if I forgot a dose. Brain zaps, nausea, general ill feeling. If one takes it as directed, however, they shouldn't experience these. Never quit this medicine on your own without talking to your doctor."

OLou (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 3, 2014

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I had severe hellish, unrelentless depression and did not want to live, I started taking Effexor and it worked the same day. I never thought something could work so well. I have few side effects. My life changed 100%. I am so happy now that the doctor put me on this. People should not be afraid to try anti-depressants."

Roolanda April 29, 2014

142 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "A miracle medicine."

Anonymous April 25, 2014

For Depression "I'm 19. I had a terrible abusive childhood full of alcohol and physical and mental abuse. Depression also runs in my fathers and my mothers family, and so my heads pretty screwed up. I was first prescribed Lexapro, that medication made me go insane, and now I'm on 75mg of Effexor XR. I probably should take more, but in my experience with depression, it really keeps me down to earth and so I told my doctor this was good enough for me. I've been depressed my whole life and I just want to be good enough to where I won't be suicidal. This medication is great. The only side effect is that if I sit in weird positions my feet will go numb really quickly."

Brandoneffexor April 17, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I'm 48 and in menopause. I've suffered bouts of little depression through life but since menopause, it hit me like a brick. I had had a couple of panic attacks throughout the years and I couldn't shake this gradual depression that was coming over me. I've always been able to talk myself through it but this time, I just couldn't. My doctor prescribed EFFEXOR. I took it 2 days. On the third day, I was driving to work and I SUDDENLY felt like I couldn't breath. I was shaking, my heart was racing and I really thought I was going to die. I pulled over thinking I was having a heart attack. I called 911, throwing up on the side of a freeway. By the time the ambulance came, my heart rate had skyrocketed! Worst experience of my life."

Denise007 March 29, 2014

For Depression "I am a 49 year old female who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I am taking Risperidone 2 mg a day with 75 mg of Effexor. I was severely depressed and suicidal everyday. Lexapro made me extremely anxious and nervous. I think 75 mg of Effexor is helping a lot. I am now not as depressed or suicidal. I am now regaining my energy and interest back. For everyone who struggle with depression/bipolar out there: don't give up HOPE. Things will get better and you will recover. I believe that. Hang in there, seek help and know that I am rooting for your quick recovery. Best wishes to all of you."

Anonymous February 16, 2014

148 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I had a panic attack and my doctor diagnosed me with GAD ( General Anxiety Disorder), and depression, so he put me on buspirone 10mg twice a day with Xanax twice a day too and worked well, then stopped buspirone and put me on Effexor 75 mg and Wellbutrin 300. Effexor was ok for 2 months then didn't work, then placed me on Ecitalopram 10mg/ day, worked for 3 days then made me very angry, so he stopped that too, and don't know what is next!"

Helpless2014 February 11, 2014

For Depression "I'm a 27 yr old female with ADD, generalized anxiety (including morbid thoughts, OCD behaviors, hypochondria and depression). Effexor has basically fixed me. I used to be irritable, negative, overwhelmed and chronically fatigued to a disabling capacity and now I'm evened out and confident, positive, patient and kinder. My head feels clearer than it ever has. The only issue is that this medication causes some sweating and raises my blood pressure so I've had to have that stabilized with blood pressure medication."

sfu (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2014

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I have taken a lot of depression medicines over the year's but this one has worked the best for me. I take 250mg a day and the side effect's have been very minimum."

Maximus1959 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 4, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I've been on many anti-depressants. I experienced a few side effects from this one. The major one I experienced was the headaches. However within less than 1 week the side effects were gone. I also experienced night sweats in the first few weeks. This has stopped me from crying a lot which is good."

Natasha23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2013