User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Effexor reviews 138 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Effexor

Review by RobDogg:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: Just changed from Zoloft (10 years) to Effexor. Have tried to get off Zoloft previously but had horrendous anxiety. The Doctor merged the Effexor with a low dose of Zoloft for 1 week and now on 150mg Effexor for the last 2 days. So far so good. Pretty scary waiting for Zoloft withdrawals, but optimistic.

May 29, 2013 8:02 PM
Review by may2013: User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I have been on Effexor for couple of months and I have to say it really works. I am telling you if I wasn't on this medication I wouldn't know how to function right and there would be probably a lot of crying and not wanting to do anything and beating myself up which I hate and now I feel so much better.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 18, 2013 11:49 PM
Review by CABCNA3 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I'll start by telling you that I tried both Celexa and Lexapro. Celexa did fairly well, but Lexapro...that's a story for another time. I went to my doctor and told her I couldn't do Lexapro anymore. She prescribed me venlafaxine. In all honesty, I could tell a difference within the first few days. My panic attacks were fewer and further between, and I felt the dark cloud lifting. I've been on it for approximately two months now and haven't had any crazy side effects like I did with the other SSRIs. I suppose I'm still in the trial phase but I have no reason to dislike it yet. A miracle pill? Well, maybe. That's not to say that I don't get depressed again every now and then, but I'm generally content.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 12, 2013 10:45 PM
Review by Dar (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I've been on 75 mg for two months now, started at a baby dose of 37.5 about 3 months ago. I can honestly say I woke up feeling the difference and the burst of energy. Only complaints are if you forget to take a dose you're not in for a good day until you take your next dose. I vomit and have a terrible headache, and also with the medication I found that I had a couple bad lows while getting used to it. But as long as you keep up with your dose and don't mess around with taking it you should be very satisfied with the result.

May 5, 2013 4:24 AM
Review by Londep (taken for 10 years or more):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: Had weight gain, atrial fibrillation, high blood pressure, anorgasmia, bad withdrawal symptoms.

May 3, 2013 11:51 PM
Review by Veda (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Bipolar Disorder: After 4 years of trying all the other anti-depressants I was put on Effexor. From the first day it was like the lights were turned on. If I go 2 days without I can't stop crying and is difficult to function. I don't have insurance and a low income so it's really tough at times. I feel like I need to increase the dose but 225mg is the max.

April 30, 2013 2:01 PM
Review by dougsmommy (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I have been on Effexor XR on and off for about 14 years. At first it seems to work but then I end up going back to where I was and then worse. I have suicidal thoughts at all times. I'm depressed and agitated even more so now than ever. If I get an up dose I sweat more. I don't know what to do.

April 16, 2013 11:24 AM
Review by svert76 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Bipolar Disorder: Great miracle.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 15, 2013 8:15 AM
Review by CreativeMandy. (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I been suffering from Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder for a few years now and have tried everything under the sun, but with the Effexor I am feeling great. It does have some side effects though, but lasted for a few days, but now gone. They include the following: Jitters, drowsiness, and a touch of nausea. Although with the sadness and anxiety under control I now realize all the physical symptoms of PMDD. I rather have the physical symptoms over the emotions any day.

April 10, 2013 3:12 PM
Review by flying low: User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I've been on Effexor for 7 years now...after a crazy up-bringing coupled with drug and alcohol abuse as a teenager I spiraled into a deep depression after my wife died 13 yrs ago. I still have bouts of anxiety but they are short lived. I try to avoid people that trigger situations where I might start to feel like an anxiety attack is coming. I had a huge weight gain and struggle with that, I've lost 80 lbs so far due to a gastric bypass,and am on only 25 mgs down from 150 when I started.

March 25, 2013 9:32 PM
Review by Anonymouiu: User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I have been on Effexor for about 6 months now. I was prescribed it for anxiety and social anxiety. My social anxiety is basically gone. I still get a little bit of anxiety but it is way better than it used to be. However, if I forget to take it I get very bad withdraw symptoms. But, I consider it worth it.

March 23, 2013 11:07 PM
Review by 30 something female: User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I had tried a number of different prescription meds before Effexor, none of which seemed to help. I can honestly say this worked the best, and with it I was able to get out of bed and begin to function again. It really was one of those medications that did exactly what it was supposed to. I continued to take Effexor for three years, after which time I wanted to stop taking it and begin to manage my life without medicines. This is when the problems began. I can honestly say that it took me almost nine months to wean myself off Effexor. I no longer have to take medication but would warn anyone being prescribed this that it is not an easy medicine to stop taking.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 18, 2013 7:03 PM
Review by Mustang Jack (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I have been on Effexor for 18 years. Yes, that's right: 18 YEARS. It saved my life and then some. I had very severe clinical depression back in 1995. I was suicidal and anxious to the nth degree. Effexor has brought joy back to my life and has enhanced my creativity and sexual desire. I have been blessed with this medication. It was the first anti-depressant my doctor prescribed and most likely the last. A match made in Paradise: Effexor and I.

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 21, 2013 8:51 PM
Review by spaceshipaliengoddess (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Bipolar Disorder: If I was not on Effexor (in combination with Lithium & Seroquel), truthfully, I would not be here to write this. With investigation by my psychiatrist into my medical records, we identified I have been bipolar for 40 years. Many of them I was not treated, even though I spent three different times in a "mental" facility. The only identification for me was that I was a difficult and troubled person. When I finally met the psychiatrist I have today, with his help and his innate understanding of what bipolar is, it only took 3 or 4 different prescriptions to finally arrive at Effexor giving me the best overall help. As I mentioned earlier, this prescription has truly been a life saver. No bothersome side effects.

February 5, 2013 9:44 PM
Review by Dwarf: User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I have been having depression for about 10 years. It took a long time to get the right one. Eventually I was put on Effexor XR. Started from 37.5 then finally 300mg per day. Effexor gave me a lot of side effects but I found it to be very good making me feel myself again. There was only one major problem, I got addicted to GAMBLING even from the day I started with 37.5. I was in major dept. I am now trying other medicines (Seroquel) but I am not the same anymore, very lazy, no motivation. Since I have stopped Effexor I have stopped gambling. And as for the depression, I am on trial with Seroquel. Wish me luck!!

January 18, 2013 1:36 PM
Review by InTheSouth:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: My dr prescribed this for my depression, bipolar disorder and panic attacks. Within an hour of taking it, I couldn't keep my eyes open. 4 hours later, I was wide awake, jittery, nauseous, and having the worst panic attack I had ever had. Needless to say, I didn't try to take another dose. Even if my body had to get used to the medication.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 13, 2013 8:23 PM
Review by Dollface226: User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: It is my wonder pill.

January 12, 2013 12:58 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: Bad side effects, bad withdrawal.

December 7, 2012 6:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I was on Effexor for a few months only and found it to be not particularly helpful. I had weight gain, extreme tiredness during the day and feeling 'blah'. I decided to go off them and it took me longer to get off them than I had been taking them. The withdrawal was terrible. I had head spins that would last all day, couldn't focus, extreme dizziness if I turned too quickly etc.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 7, 2012 5:04 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I have been taking this pill for about four months and It was working and I felt a little better, not so many panic attacks but it didn't help as much as I thought. Be careful when going off Effexor, the withdrawals are horrible. Most pain I have ever felt in my head. Do not just stop taking it. Effexor just wasn't the right one for me.

December 6, 2012 10:36 PM
Review by PurpleBondGirl (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: This was one of the better SSRI's I've been on. However, after using it for a few years I began to notice that some of the granules were not getting absorbed into my system. The granules were showing up in my stools completely whole. It worked wonders on my rage and moodiness though.

December 4, 2012 2:25 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I was prescribed Effexor XR for social anxiety and panic attacks, but an unexpected benefit was a decrease in my IBS symptoms (remember, bowel challenges are part of the symptoms for anxiety). After taking the medication for about a week my bowel motions were normal and cramping in my bowels were eased- it emboldened me to eat more foods (before the medication I hardly ate anything but blend foods trying to alleviate the bowel cramping and gas). It was sensational- my health is so much better because I am eating healthier foods. I even stopped using Pepto-Bismol as a go to for cramping! I am so appreciative of this medication. Also: another good aid for irritable bowel syndrome symptoms is swallowing peppermint oil capsules; not peppermint tea or candy. God Bless You!

November 29, 2012 3:01 PM
Review by Lizabell: User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: First time writing on here. Been on Effexor (instant release tablets) over 4 years. Average dose I hovered around was 400mg/day. At first I liked how it made me WANT to get out of bed in the morning, upped energy levels, & didn't turn me into a Zombie. After a few months of this, I started getting a 2-3 hour block in the day when I'd have indirect immobilizing anxiety. Thus my DOC threw Wellbutrin at me which did tone that down, for awhile. Then very slowly and without me attributing the following behaviors to the Effexor, I started to: take the first half of the day to 'get going', get dizzy 80% of the time & always out of breath, binge drink for a few month-long chunks on end, not sleep, lose weight, become rather apathetic over more & more.

October 26, 2012 5:36 PM
Review by Kiy (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I am 130 pounds & 19 years old. I took my first dose of Effexor 75 MG. So far, I have experienced nausea, headache, dilated pupils, & drowsiness.

October 9, 2012 8:19 PM
Review by Bsuzy (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I started about a month ago on 37.5 and want to stay there after reading some of the entries. I feel much better even on this low dose and recommend always doing the lowest dose you can.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 6, 2012 10:50 PM