User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Bulimia 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Effexor reviews 153 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Effexor

Review by GinaGee:

For Depression: I have been on Venlafaxine XR for 8 years (first effexor xr then generic w/o problems). started at 150, then plateaued after about a year, went up to 225 and plateaued again. I have been on 300mg dose for over 5 years. I like this rx a lot. I haven't tried other antidepressants, I was started on this because it worked for other family members. I know it's a high dose n some people are shocked, but I find this offensive and more or less stigma about mental illness and meds. I started Adderall about 4 years ago and that combination has been incredible for my depression (and ADHD). My sex drive recovered 3 months into VFX. The only compliant is when I miss a dose, in which case I have a LOT of complaints: migraines, dizzy, tremor, hypersomnia

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 20, 2013 10:01 PM

Review by MissMiserable (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I spent several years taking Citalopram, which I found to be very good, until it stopped working. I was then prescribed Venlafaxine. I started off on 225mg daily, but it was not controlling my anxiety and I became depressed on it.. I was then told to up the dosage to 300mg daily by my Psychiatrist. Several months on, and I can firmly say this medicine has turned me into the same state I was in prior to ever taking any medication. My anxiety has increased, and I now suffer with depression and suicidal thoughts which I never had before. I have had no appetite, which can be a side effect for some people. have lost a lot of weight. Food and drink tastes strange, my skin has developed pimples.

October 7, 2013 6:49 PM

Review by Cantlivewithoutit:

For Depression: I was prescribed Effexor for menopause symptoms and it treated my undiagnosed depression! It completely changed my life. I was an angry, laughing/crying mess and Effexor turned me around and put me in a good place with an excellent attitude. Cons are brain zaps and sweating from the forehead. I was weaning off of it when I couldn't take it anymore and went back on it. I started crying and felt horrible. Night sweats were miserable too. I'll take the zaps and sweats over depression and night sweats any day.

October 3, 2013 2:21 PM

Review by WildcatVet (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I take Effexor 300mg with Seroquel which doesn't fully control the depressive side of my Bipolar symptoms. It's the little extra that makes life wonderful! No side effects at all, no weight gain.

October 2, 2013 5:03 PM

Review by Miss Tisay:

For Depression: I am 46 yrs old and have taken Effexor since 2000. It helps me balance myself. It really works and it calms myself down and relax. But never miss it for a day or so it will give you dizziness or nausea. I would let the people out there know that Effexor is the best antidepressant. It makes me focus my life on everything. Thank you for saving my life Effexor.

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2013 11:24 PM

Review by xyzpossum:

For Depression: I have taken Effexor on and off for nearly ten years for depression and anxiety brought on by a sudden traumatic situation. It took a week or so for the side effects to disappear when I first started. I felt so well that I weaned myself off it which took at least a week with side effects. I have done this twice thinking I was very well and able to cope which I do when I take the medication. However, I have come to realize that I need to stay on it and my husband now understands that it keeps me well, happy and balanced. If I miss a tablet I feel quite nauseous and a bit unbalanced even though I only take 75mg once a day. I have come to realize that there a lot of people out there, including many high profile people who need Effexor.

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2013 11:33 PM

Review by NDG (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I went on this medication as a last resort, I was at a point I couldn't leave my house, I cried all day and I had anxiety 24/7. I have just started taking the medication, the first day was terrible, cold sweats, brain zaps. I found I could not sleep. Now 3 days into the medication, I find I am much happier, perhaps I'm being optimistic but the constant torture of obsessive thoughts and not being able to let the little things go has gone down. I would recommend this if you are at a last resort. The past 2 days have been days that remind me of how my life was like before the year and a half of constant agony.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2013 11:27 AM

Review by pristiqq (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: Works well for depression and anxiety. I experienced diminished libido (male). Do not abruptly stop taking or miss a dose, you'll get worse than opiate withdrawal!

July 24, 2013 5:52 PM

Review by Linnd:

For Depression: I've been taking this medicine for over 10 years, I have gone as high 300 mg down to 100mg. My latest depression episode ( this is my third) I'm taking the 300 mg and amplify but it's not helping I'm thinking of taking 375 mg and see if that helps me.

July 15, 2013 4:26 PM

Review by wanddnaw:

For Depression: I am 56 and still hot flashes. Over 2 years I have increased dosage several times.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 7, 2013 3:34 AM

Review by SLP 49:

For Bipolar Disorder: Worked within one week. Took years ago, stopped, recently placed back on it, 75mg with Lamictal 100mg. Life back to 75% normal.

July 6, 2013 8:18 AM

Review by JoseTheElder:

For Depression: I am a 60 year old male who has suffered with depression and panic attacks. In my late 30s, I decided to seek help. Like many others, the list of medications my doctors tried would fill a dictionary. Some worked for a while. I refused to take Lithium. In my late 40s, I was also diagnosed with ADD. I now use 4 medications successfully: Effexor XR 450 mg daily, Xanax 1 mg daily, Adderall XR 60 mg daily, and Strattera 25 mg daily. I am now free of both depression and panic attacks for nearly 10 years! I am comfortable in public speaking and find that I love the adrenalin-rush! I've tried to stop using Effexor XR but always restarted because of the horrible depression. Withdrawal is like a bad acid trip. Use Effexor to stay alive!

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2013 10:49 AM

Review by Glttrgrl8 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Fibromyalgia: They'll have to pry my Effexor out of my cold dead hands! It helps so much with my fibromyalgia pain as well as my anxiety.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 26, 2013 9:50 PM

Review by jdofhkls:

For Depression: Effexor might have saved my life because at the time I was given it I had damn near given up hope. Paxil and Zoloft did nothing. Depakote attacked my liver. Lexapro made me numb. Then Effexor was given to me. 2 weeks after taking it I felt better. 4 weeks later, I was back doing things again. Within a year I had all my interests and hobbies back. Cons: 1. Withdrawal is terrible. When I miss a dose I feel it. Neck pain. Headache. 2. I've found that I had to increase the dose after two years of usage 75 mg 3x times a day holds me. 3. Not really a con, but when more stress then usual I relapse for a few days with depression but it goes back to normal if you increase dose for awhile.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 24, 2013 8:44 AM

Review by JC33:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: If I didn't have side effects from Effexor, I would still be on it right now. I'm currently in the stages of slowly tapering off of it, with instruction from my doctor. I went from 75mg to 150mg. Now, I am taking a 75 37.5 for a week, tapering it off every week from there. You need to be extremely disciplined about taking this medicine every day, and at the same time every day. With my schedule, I was never able to take it at the same time every day. I would get what are called "brain zaps," which is the feeling like everything rushed to your head for a split second. I also had sexual side effects on Effexor, though it was more noticeable on lower doses. I've been on Zoloft, Luvox, Prozac and Effexor. On to Cymbalta now.

June 13, 2013 2:59 AM

Review by RobDogg:

For Depression: Just changed from Zoloft (10 years) to Effexor. Have tried to get off Zoloft previously but had horrendous anxiety. The Doctor merged the Effexor with a low dose of Zoloft for 1 week and now on 150mg Effexor for the last 2 days. So far so good. Pretty scary waiting for Zoloft withdrawals, but optimistic.

May 29, 2013 8:02 PM

Review by may2013:

For Depression: I have been on Effexor for couple of months and I have to say it really works. I am telling you if I wasn't on this medication I wouldn't know how to function right and there would be probably a lot of crying and not wanting to do anything and beating myself up which I hate and now I feel so much better.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 18, 2013 11:49 PM

Review by CABCNA3 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I'll start by telling you that I tried both Celexa and Lexapro. Celexa did fairly well, but Lexapro...that's a story for another time. I went to my doctor and told her I couldn't do Lexapro anymore. She prescribed me venlafaxine. In all honesty, I could tell a difference within the first few days. My panic attacks were fewer and further between, and I felt the dark cloud lifting. I've been on it for approximately two months now and haven't had any crazy side effects like I did with the other SSRIs. I suppose I'm still in the trial phase but I have no reason to dislike it yet. A miracle pill? Well, maybe. That's not to say that I don't get depressed again every now and then, but I'm generally content.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2013 10:45 PM

Review by Dar (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I've been on 75 mg for two months now, started at a baby dose of 37.5 about 3 months ago. I can honestly say I woke up feeling the difference and the burst of energy. Only complaints are if you forget to take a dose you're not in for a good day until you take your next dose. I vomit and have a terrible headache, and also with the medication I found that I had a couple bad lows while getting used to it. But as long as you keep up with your dose and don't mess around with taking it you should be very satisfied with the result.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 5, 2013 4:24 AM

Review by Londep (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: Had weight gain, atrial fibrillation, high blood pressure, anorgasmia, bad withdrawal symptoms.

May 3, 2013 11:51 PM

Review by Veda (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: After 4 years of trying all the other anti-depressants I was put on Effexor. From the first day it was like the lights were turned on. If I go 2 days without I can't stop crying and is difficult to function. I don't have insurance and a low income so it's really tough at times. I feel like I need to increase the dose but 225mg is the max.

April 30, 2013 2:01 PM

Review by dougsmommy (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: I have been on Effexor XR on and off for about 14 years. At first it seems to work but then I end up going back to where I was and then worse. I have suicidal thoughts at all times. I'm depressed and agitated even more so now than ever. If I get an up dose I sweat more. I don't know what to do.

April 16, 2013 11:24 AM

Review by svert76 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: Great miracle.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2013 8:15 AM

Review by CreativeMandy. (taken for less than 1 month):

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I been suffering from Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder for a few years now and have tried everything under the sun, but with the Effexor I am feeling great. It does have some side effects though, but lasted for a few days, but now gone. They include the following: Jitters, drowsiness, and a touch of nausea. Although with the sadness and anxiety under control I now realize all the physical symptoms of PMDD. I rather have the physical symptoms over the emotions any day.

April 10, 2013 3:12 PM

Review by flying low:

For Depression: I've been on Effexor for 7 years now...after a crazy up-bringing coupled with drug and alcohol abuse as a teenager I spiraled into a deep depression after my wife died 13 yrs ago. I still have bouts of anxiety but they are short lived. I try to avoid people that trigger situations where I might start to feel like an anxiety attack is coming. I had a huge weight gain and struggle with that, I've lost 80 lbs so far due to a gastric bypass,and am on only 25 mgs down from 150 when I started.

March 25, 2013 9:32 PM