User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Bulimia 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Effexor reviews 146 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Effexor

Review by pristiqq (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: Works well for depression and anxiety. I experienced diminished libido (male). Do not abruptly stop taking or miss a dose, you'll get worse than opiate withdrawal!

July 24, 2013 5:52 PM

Review by Linnd:

For Depression: I've been taking this medicine for over 10 years, I have gone as high 300 mg down to 100mg. My latest depression episode ( this is my third) I'm taking the 300 mg and amplify but it's not helping I'm thinking of taking 375 mg and see if that helps me.

July 15, 2013 4:26 PM

Review by wanddnaw:

For Depression: I am 56 and still hot flashes. Over 2 years I have increased dosage several times.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 7, 2013 3:34 AM

Review by SLP 49:

For Bipolar Disorder: Worked within one week. Took years ago, stopped, recently placed back on it, 75mg with Lamictal 100mg. Life back to 75% normal.

July 6, 2013 8:18 AM

Review by JoseTheElder:

For Depression: I am a 60 year old male who has suffered with depression and panic attacks. In my late 30s, I decided to seek help. Like many others, the list of medications my doctors tried would fill a dictionary. Some worked for a while. I refused to take Lithium. In my late 40s, I was also diagnosed with ADD. I now use 4 medications successfully: Effexor XR 450 mg daily, Xanax 1 mg daily, Adderall XR 60 mg daily, and Strattera 25 mg daily. I am now free of both depression and panic attacks for nearly 10 years! I am comfortable in public speaking and find that I love the adrenalin-rush! I've tried to stop using Effexor XR but always restarted because of the horrible depression. Withdrawal is like a bad acid trip. Use Effexor to stay alive!

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2013 10:49 AM

Review by Glttrgrl8 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Fibromyalgia: They'll have to pry my Effexor out of my cold dead hands! It helps so much with my fibromyalgia pain as well as my anxiety.

June 26, 2013 9:50 PM

Review by jdofhkls:

For Depression: Effexor might have saved my life because at the time I was given it I had damn near given up hope. Paxil and Zoloft did nothing. Depakote attacked my liver. Lexapro made me numb. Then Effexor was given to me. 2 weeks after taking it I felt better. 4 weeks later, I was back doing things again. Within a year I had all my interests and hobbies back. Cons: 1. Withdrawal is terrible. When I miss a dose I feel it. Neck pain. Headache. 2. I've found that I had to increase the dose after two years of usage 75 mg 3x times a day holds me. 3. Not really a con, but when more stress then usual I relapse for a few days with depression but it goes back to normal if you increase dose for awhile.

June 24, 2013 8:44 AM

Review by JC33:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: If I didn't have side effects from Effexor, I would still be on it right now. I'm currently in the stages of slowly tapering off of it, with instruction from my doctor. I went from 75mg to 150mg. Now, I am taking a 75 37.5 for a week, tapering it off every week from there. You need to be extremely disciplined about taking this medicine every day, and at the same time every day. With my schedule, I was never able to take it at the same time every day. I would get what are called "brain zaps," which is the feeling like everything rushed to your head for a split second. I also had sexual side effects on Effexor, though it was more noticeable on lower doses. I've been on Zoloft, Luvox, Prozac and Effexor. On to Cymbalta now.

June 13, 2013 2:59 AM

Review by RobDogg:

For Depression: Just changed from Zoloft (10 years) to Effexor. Have tried to get off Zoloft previously but had horrendous anxiety. The Doctor merged the Effexor with a low dose of Zoloft for 1 week and now on 150mg Effexor for the last 2 days. So far so good. Pretty scary waiting for Zoloft withdrawals, but optimistic.

May 29, 2013 8:02 PM

Review by may2013:

For Depression: I have been on Effexor for couple of months and I have to say it really works. I am telling you if I wasn't on this medication I wouldn't know how to function right and there would be probably a lot of crying and not wanting to do anything and beating myself up which I hate and now I feel so much better.

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 18, 2013 11:49 PM

Review by CABCNA3 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I'll start by telling you that I tried both Celexa and Lexapro. Celexa did fairly well, but Lexapro...that's a story for another time. I went to my doctor and told her I couldn't do Lexapro anymore. She prescribed me venlafaxine. In all honesty, I could tell a difference within the first few days. My panic attacks were fewer and further between, and I felt the dark cloud lifting. I've been on it for approximately two months now and haven't had any crazy side effects like I did with the other SSRIs. I suppose I'm still in the trial phase but I have no reason to dislike it yet. A miracle pill? Well, maybe. That's not to say that I don't get depressed again every now and then, but I'm generally content.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2013 10:45 PM

Review by Dar (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I've been on 75 mg for two months now, started at a baby dose of 37.5 about 3 months ago. I can honestly say I woke up feeling the difference and the burst of energy. Only complaints are if you forget to take a dose you're not in for a good day until you take your next dose. I vomit and have a terrible headache, and also with the medication I found that I had a couple bad lows while getting used to it. But as long as you keep up with your dose and don't mess around with taking it you should be very satisfied with the result.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 5, 2013 4:24 AM

Review by Londep (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: Had weight gain, atrial fibrillation, high blood pressure, anorgasmia, bad withdrawal symptoms.

May 3, 2013 11:51 PM

Review by Veda (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: After 4 years of trying all the other anti-depressants I was put on Effexor. From the first day it was like the lights were turned on. If I go 2 days without I can't stop crying and is difficult to function. I don't have insurance and a low income so it's really tough at times. I feel like I need to increase the dose but 225mg is the max.

April 30, 2013 2:01 PM

Review by dougsmommy (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: I have been on Effexor XR on and off for about 14 years. At first it seems to work but then I end up going back to where I was and then worse. I have suicidal thoughts at all times. I'm depressed and agitated even more so now than ever. If I get an up dose I sweat more. I don't know what to do.

April 16, 2013 11:24 AM

Review by svert76 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: Great miracle.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2013 8:15 AM

Review by CreativeMandy. (taken for less than 1 month):

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I been suffering from Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder for a few years now and have tried everything under the sun, but with the Effexor I am feeling great. It does have some side effects though, but lasted for a few days, but now gone. They include the following: Jitters, drowsiness, and a touch of nausea. Although with the sadness and anxiety under control I now realize all the physical symptoms of PMDD. I rather have the physical symptoms over the emotions any day.

April 10, 2013 3:12 PM

Review by flying low:

For Depression: I've been on Effexor for 7 years now...after a crazy up-bringing coupled with drug and alcohol abuse as a teenager I spiraled into a deep depression after my wife died 13 yrs ago. I still have bouts of anxiety but they are short lived. I try to avoid people that trigger situations where I might start to feel like an anxiety attack is coming. I had a huge weight gain and struggle with that, I've lost 80 lbs so far due to a gastric bypass,and am on only 25 mgs down from 150 when I started.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2013 9:32 PM

Review by Anonymouiu:

For Depression: I have been on Effexor for about 6 months now. I was prescribed it for anxiety and social anxiety. My social anxiety is basically gone. I still get a little bit of anxiety but it is way better than it used to be. However, if I forget to take it I get very bad withdraw symptoms. But, I consider it worth it.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2013 11:07 PM

Review by 30 something female:

For Depression: I had tried a number of different prescription meds before Effexor, none of which seemed to help. I can honestly say this worked the best, and with it I was able to get out of bed and begin to function again. It really was one of those medications that did exactly what it was supposed to. I continued to take Effexor for three years, after which time I wanted to stop taking it and begin to manage my life without medicines. This is when the problems began. I can honestly say that it took me almost nine months to wean myself off Effexor. I no longer have to take medication but would warn anyone being prescribed this that it is not an easy medicine to stop taking.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2013 7:03 PM

Review by Mustang Jack (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: I have been on Effexor for 18 years. Yes, that's right: 18 YEARS. It saved my life and then some. I had very severe clinical depression back in 1995. I was suicidal and anxious to the nth degree. Effexor has brought joy back to my life and has enhanced my creativity and sexual desire. I have been blessed with this medication. It was the first anti-depressant my doctor prescribed and most likely the last. A match made in Paradise: Effexor and I.

145 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2013 8:51 PM

Review by spaceshipaliengoddess (taken for 10 years or more):

For Bipolar Disorder: If I was not on Effexor (in combination with Lithium & Seroquel), truthfully, I would not be here to write this. With investigation by my psychiatrist into my medical records, we identified I have been bipolar for 40 years. Many of them I was not treated, even though I spent three different times in a "mental" facility. The only identification for me was that I was a difficult and troubled person. When I finally met the psychiatrist I have today, with his help and his innate understanding of what bipolar is, it only took 3 or 4 different prescriptions to finally arrive at Effexor giving me the best overall help. As I mentioned earlier, this prescription has truly been a life saver. No bothersome side effects.

February 5, 2013 9:44 PM

Review by Dwarf:

For Depression: I have been having depression for about 10 years. It took a long time to get the right one. Eventually I was put on Effexor XR. Started from 37.5 then finally 300mg per day. Effexor gave me a lot of side effects but I found it to be very good making me feel myself again. There was only one major problem, I got addicted to GAMBLING even from the day I started with 37.5. I was in major dept. I am now trying other medicines (Seroquel) but I am not the same anymore, very lazy, no motivation. Since I have stopped Effexor I have stopped gambling. And as for the depression, I am on trial with Seroquel. Wish me luck!!

January 18, 2013 1:36 PM

Review by InTheSouth:

For Depression: My dr prescribed this for my depression, bipolar disorder and panic attacks. Within an hour of taking it, I couldn't keep my eyes open. 4 hours later, I was wide awake, jittery, nauseous, and having the worst panic attack I had ever had. Needless to say, I didn't try to take another dose. Even if my body had to get used to the medication.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 13, 2013 8:23 PM

Review by Dollface226:

For Depression: It is my wonder pill.

January 12, 2013 12:58 AM