User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Effexor XR review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Anxiety

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Have been on Effexor xr 75mg for about 1 year now for anxiety & panic attacks. I had a constant odd pain in my stomach (like butterflys and hunger). I would sweat uncontrollably & get dizzy & faint if I was put in a situation I wasn't comfortable with. I went to a Dr. who diagnosed me with anxiety and put me onto Effexor. The first 3 days were hell, every bad review I read on Google I could relate to, I even ended up going to the ER one night as I felt so nauseous and felt like I was losing control and could not stop freaking out. The Dr told me to stick to it, and promised it would get better. I'm so glad I did. I feel that this medication has saved me. I can almost live a normal life again.

September 4, 2014 3:30 AM

Review by starsoul50 (taken for less than 1 month):

I've suffered severe anxiety/panic attacks my entire life. I've had Xanax, Valium, Prozac and Edronax over the cause of my years. I finally changed doctor, came off everything, to start where I'm at now. I began on 37.5mg over two weeks ago and noticed a difference straight away. Now on 75mg and getting better every single day. My panic attacks could cause me to pass out, so this is a huge leap in health for me. For those concerned about coming off Xanax, it's so worth the effort. I now feel like I'm getting my life back and I'm truly grateful.

August 27, 2014 12:35 AM

Review by Blondegirl311:

Started taking Venlafaxine ER a year ago for anxiety. Started at 75mg daily and am currently on 150mg per day, and have been for about 8 months. It has helped a ton with the anxiety! While I am not completely clear from anxiety, it is much much better to handle. I did not gain any weight whatsoever. I do notice that if I forget to take it I feel a bit nauseous and lightheaded so I have set an alarm on my phone. I take both 75mg pills at one time so that it's done for the day. All in all, I would recommend!!

August 13, 2014 1:15 PM

Review by Mitra_:

Have suffered from bouts of severe anxiety over the last few years that would leave me bedridden, suicidal, unable to work or eat. Tried Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Luvox and honestly thought nothing would ever work for me. All made me worse. Psych doctor wanted to try Effexor XR but I was worried about the withdrawing from it - after trying everything else I finally agreed. Has taken a month to feel a difference. I'm enjoying things again, not chewed up by horrible anxiety, I'm actually HAPPY?! 1st month on it was so challenging - very low, anxious, exhausted, nauseous. But now no side effects. I feel like a light's gone on. Like I am getting my life back. I could sob with relief. Truly believed I'd never get better, but here I am.

August 9, 2014 7:51 AM

Review by Downout (taken for less than 1 month):

I have suffered with major depression my whole adult life. Have been on several types of antidepressants all of which left me feeling like a zombie. The first time I took Effexor I noticed a major swing in my moods it has been a total saviour for me. Two weeks ago I was in bad shape, today a week of Effexor I feel on top of the world . This medication with the help of family friends and councilor had without a doubt totally turned my life around now everything in my life is happy and positive. Without this medication my future would've been bleak to say the least.

August 8, 2014 8:05 PM

Review by adam1994:

I'm 19 and have suffered with anxiety for three years or so. Previously had been on Prozac and Lexapro which were both hellish. Began taking Effexor XR two months ago and started feeling better two weeks through but out of no where the medication not only ceased to work but actually made my anxiety a lot worse. Have horrible agitation, depression, irritability and insomnia. Pity I could really do with an antidepressant than works!

July 24, 2014 8:50 PM

Review by Maple Fritters:

Went on Effexor for panic disorder/social anxiety caused by OCD. It was debilitating and the symptoms really affected my ability to go through life. I had been on other meds, which did not do much, so I was genuinely surprised and happy when the Effexor made a noticeable difference in the frequency and severity of my panic attacks. I have a few moments of panic now and then, but nothing as bad as it was. OCD is still there, but does not cause me too much distress or interrupt my life as much as it used to (and Effexor is not meant to treat OCD anyway). The side effect that got me the most was tiredness, so I was put on Wellbutrin to balance that out, and it seems to be working for me. The other side effects are entirely bearable.

July 10, 2014 12:43 AM

Review by Rob C (taken for less than 1 month):

Switched to Effexor XR after having severe anxiety side effects with Prozac 20mg. With Prozac initial side effects, I didn't sleep for days, constant, ceaseless agitation and restlessness, ended up in ER for psych evaluation which has never happened to me before. Doctor switched me to Effexor XR 37.5 mg and on the second day I noticed that after taking the pill in the morning, by the afternoon I was much calmer, almost drowsy, which was an enormous relief after two weeks of severe anxiety. After two weeks on Effexor XR I'm doing much better; much less anxiety and worry. The PM drowsiness has gone too. I hope to stay on the low dose.

July 8, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by LaniP392:

This is the only medicine that totally helps me. I seldom have to take Alprazolam or Valium with the Effexor. I tried switching to Cymbalta for nerve pain..what a mistake. I am back on Effexor.

June 27, 2014 11:10 PM

Review by SSKirby (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on Effexor XR 75mg for two months now, after previously being on Zoloft and Celexa. The two other medications were not effective for my anxiety and depression, and they tended to make me either tired or foggy regardless of the time of day that I took them. I expected the tiredness to wear off, but the foggy feeling never did. My doctor prescribed Effexor XR, and it has been very effective for both my depression and anxiety symptoms. I am not 100% perfect, and I still have anxiety, but in the appropriate moments. The moments of unreasonable anxiety attacks are fewer and far between since starting the medicine. I had no negative side effects, and I take it every morning at 9am.

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2014 11:12 AM

Review by Happy in Canada (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Effexor for the past 10 years - I started having panic attacks as a child although I didn't know at the time what was going on - when I was 17 the doctor prescribed Valium that I took periodically when my anxiety got really bad - finally when I was 40 the doctor suggested I go on a very low dosage of Effexor (37.5mg) because he was sure I had generalized anxiety disorder - what a difference this has made in my life - felt"weird" the first few weeks but now I have very little anxiety and really no side effects except maybe lower libido. I had no idea how much anxiety I had been living with all my life.

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2014 10:15 PM

Review by Jaded123 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Had horrible side effects, did not sleep for 2 weeks. Developed tics. Felt like I was living a nightmare. Had to be hospitalized. They took me off Effexor. And I started Zoloft. Zoloft worked fantastic . Took Zoloft for a year. Been off meds for 9 years with no problems.

October 23, 2013 3:48 AM

Review by Dingdingding:

I have been on this medication for approximately 3 weeks now. It is a God send for me. I noticed results on day 2. I have had recurring depressive episodes my entire adult life. This episode I was unable to get out of bed, sleeping up to 14 hours a day, not going into work (thankfully I have a very understanding boss). I was not suicidal this time, I actually think that I really didn't care enough to do anything about it. My whole attitude was that, "I just don't care." I have anxiety as well, but the episodes have always been well controlled with 1mg of Ativan. I had the racing thoughts, inability to concentrate, unable to finish almost any task-if I even got as far to start one. 175mg of Effexor and I can finally function.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2013 1:58 PM

Review by BB11:

I was diagnosed with Celiac's disease 3 years ago although I probably had it for about 7 years. My body didn't absorb many nutrients so I had anxiety about everything. I am on high doses of B12 and Vit. D and the doctor thought I should try Effexor. I first started on a small dose and then she tried me on 75 mg which is still a small dose. This really works for me. I'm not jittery or have negative thoughts. I've only been on this for 6 months but everything seems okay.

September 5, 2013 2:01 PM

Review by Devon1177 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am from Canada, 24 year old female. I have always been a worrier but first experienced anxiety in my 4th year at University 3 years ago, I had a panic attack which then turned into panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. Effexor is a GREAT medication for me, my dose was raised way to quickly at the beginning, I went from 75mg to 150mg to 225mg in a month and a half and got horrible Effexor induced anxiety but when my GP realized what was going on she put me back to 75mg and then very slowly put me up to 112.5mg and I have been there for 2 months now and I think it is the perfect dose for me. I don't have intrusive thoughts or panic sensations. Be patient, it's worth it!

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 24, 2013 1:21 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Works well to stop my anxiety. I can participate in life again and I am doing things that I used to do. Started with 75 mg started to become more effective at 150 mg. Some side effects but they are getting better with time.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2013 12:30 PM

Review by vgailj (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

This medicine did not work for me.

April 19, 2013 1:02 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This medication has worked well for me in terms of controlling my anxiety and fear of having a panic attack. However the side effects I have had to endure are not so pleasant. I'm always tired and can sleep all day long. As well, I have gained weight on this medication and trying to lose it is very hard. It's like my metabolism has stopped working. I've been on this medicine for about 3 years now and considering weening off to try something else.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2013 3:24 PM

Review by Pisces90 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor Saved Me After Many Failed Medicines. Current Med Combo- Effexor 75 mg, Lamictal 200 mg, Abilify 5 mg It saved me from wasting anymore time locked up in my house 24/7 and avoiding conversations, knocks at the door, people, telephone calls, and anything else involving socializing. I FINALLY LEAVE MY HOUSE. WILLINGLY and REGULARLY. Daily. I NO LONGER FEAR APPLYING FOR JOBS. I NO LONGER FEAR THE POSSIBILITY OF HAVING A JOB because I would have to deal with people. I am willing and eager to go out with friends, family, acquaintances, meet new people. SIDE EFFECTS- Only Nightmares, which eventually become less and less and then go away after 2 months. Maybe a little unpleasant at first. Definitely bearable. It's not bad for everyone.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2013 12:57 PM

Review by Montrose Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My doctor prescribed this for my anxiety due to perimenopause, 37 mg. I was always tired on it so he increased it to 75mg xr. I'm not as tired as I used to be and I no longer wake with anxiety and can sleep through the night. My energy level is not as high as it used to be before Effexor. My appetite has also increased. I've heard this can be due to a combination of the Effexor and menopause. If I skip a dose, I get headaches.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2013 5:43 AM

Review by kat351:

Effexor has been a wonderful and life changing medicine for me. I can also take it with my anticancer medicine Tamoxifen, which I could not do with Zoloft. It's great!

January 3, 2013 12:58 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on Effexor XR for about 3 months now (75mg), and it's done a great job of controlling my anxiety. For the first couple of days, my anxiety skyrocketed, but I supplemented with Ativan to help with that. then on the third day, I woke up and felt totally normal. It does make me a bit tired, but I also sleep better - and I do have very vivid dreams at times (not scary, just vivid). Also makes me a bit apathetic, but it's better than living in a constant state of anxiety. I'd had bad reactions to Lexapro and Zoloft, so I was happy to find something that worked. I hope to come off someday, but for now, it's giving me what I need.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2012 11:23 AM

Review by alexander151:

I took Effexor XR after I gave up on Lexapro (it didn't work for me, waited for a couple months). I started at 75 mg and 10 days later to 150 mg. I have been at 150 for about 5 months. I feel that I am at a stable point so I don't want to change anything for a while. My doctor said to start weening off but I don't think I'm ready yet. I had gone through a gut wrenching episode in my life that lasted for about 4 intense months of sleepless nights, hot sweats, heart palpitations, heavy chest, lack of concentration, and sadness. I felt as if I was at a doctor every other day trying to figure out what was wrong. My anxieties were so bad that I felt like exploding. Thankfully I waited it out and Effexor has helped.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 6, 2012 1:17 AM

Review by Dispicable me (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on this medication for over 15 years. I can tell you that this is the absolute best medication for panic attacks, the problem is that I never had any panic attacks until I quit taking the pill after a year of use. I was prescribed this when I was 18 after being hospitalized as the result of several traumatic events. I started on 32 mg and eventually was bumped up to 150mg and then 225 mg. I weened off and survived the withdrawals and felt amazing seriously felt like the best moment of my life but about a year after I stopped taking it, the depression came back twice as bad.

July 28, 2012 4:30 AM

Review by KathrynTori (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I love it. It's so much better than the other 2 I tried that made me feel like a zombie and had side effects. Effexor XR has helped me and still does help me to not have the anxiety/panic attacks that I was experiencing before. It's the best by far. I highly recommend Effexor XR for anyone with bad anxiety & panic attacks. It's absolutely the best.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 21, 2012 8:48 PM