User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Effexor XR Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 192 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Anxiety

"In my 25 years of being put on various medications, this is--by far--the best. I suffered from anxiety and PTSD, which (of course) would lead to depression. I'd contend with crying spells and outbursts of anger. The first few days of taking 75 mg/day, I did have some side effects (such as racing thoughts, sleeplessness, etc.), but my body adjusted quickly. I now wake up every day feeling more hopeful, and with ZERO crying spells. I am still ME, and never feel like a zombie. I am still aware of my surroundings and what annoys me, yes, but my RECOVERY from processing those things is much faster, and I bounce right back. In other words, my perspective of things is normalized, and my days aren't ruined. Wonderful stuff!"

cartoonist13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2016

"I tried Effexor XR after most of the SSRIs I recently tried gave me diarrhea for more than just the initial adjustment period. I tend to be more on the anxious side of life and the SSRIs seemed to treat that better than Effexor, but I cant be in the bathroom all day. 75mg/day works well for me currently. I was on 150mg for a year which worked well, but then suddenly my anxiety and obsessive thinking was coming back.The doc upped dose to 225 and I got way worse, so we lowered it and boom. way better. "less is more" worked for me this time. Effexor XR also has less side effects for me regarding fatigue, hunger, weight gain and sexual side effects. as a woman this is a huge perk. mental health- the struggle is real! Good luck!"

allison_G (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 11, 2016

"My experience was a waking nightmare... I was started on a low dose to treat anxiety.. It didn't help at all. My DR kept slowly increasing my dose while I suffered from extreme anxiety with no relief.. I had weight gain, night sweats, oddly long menstrual cycles, cramps, the urge to drink alcohol. I went to another Dr that said the dose needed to be at least 225 to treat anxiety I was on 125 so he increased dosage. This made the side effects much worse and the weight gain. I didn't care about anything, I wasn't myself. I decided after 20 lb gain to stop and got tapered off. I became extremely ill it was like having the flu everyday for weeks. I've been completely off a few weeks now I have headaches still and extreme anger like rage."

Should be illegal (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 3, 2016

"I don't normally review anything but this time I thought I thought I should especially considering most people only tell you the negative experiences of a drug. I really didn't know my anxiety was bad until now. I know I had bad "nerves" is what I call it and I'm normally on edge and get paranoid about almost everything especially my relationships. I got so used to being anxious that it became normal to the point that I forgot what the other side felt like. Strange but true statement. Effexor has allowed me to handle just about anything thrown at me. Yes I get a little anxious but over all I'm ok. I did have bad gas and a headache but it got better totally worth a try."

Candy_cane April 1, 2016

"In response to Natalie- why didn't your doctor wean you off this medication? By just cutting your dose by half-if that's what he/she did here, no wonder you're experiencing such horrific side effects - speak up! My daughter just started taking this for panic disorder brought about by MIf the RX only comes in capsule form at those two doses- then there needs to be advocacy to change this so there is a way to wean off this med! So many people report negative side effects- withdrawal shouldn't be torture and you might need to find a more compassionate doctor- it astonishes me the lack of empathy some professionals have- considering their career choice- if they can't be compassionate, they should stay AWAY from patients and stick to reearch!"

Jadia (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

"I have very bad anxiety, moderate panic attacks, and horrible night terrors. I just couldn't take it anymore. This was the first medication I tried. It has helped me so much, I can't even explain it to you. Yes, I still have anxiety but it is mild now. I almost never have nightmares anymore. As soon as I miss a dose, I get light headed, dizzy, and feel like crap. Has very bad withdrawls. I have almost no side efffects. This medicine has been great for me. Been on it almost a year. I am at 150mg."

BugsBunny89 March 15, 2016

"This medication has helped me out a lot with depression and ruminative thoghts. It has made me feel less anxious and much happier. I get depressed less and less. I have been on this med for 6 months now and it has helped give me the energy to be happy. Give it a shot! Only negative side effect for me has been night sweats. Missing a dose hasn't cause any problems for me."

DepressionDude25 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2016

"Been on effexor xr for approximately 12 years! I regret taking it. Am on 225mg per day, doctor wants me to taper down to 150 per day! It's a damn nightmare I'm on day 2 of being on 150 mg and the withdrawal symptoms are horrible. I feel dizzy nauseous feels like my head is hot feel very tense, very moody, and short fuse. I could go on."

Ñatalié83 February 26, 2016

"I've had unmedicated anxiety all my life which seemed to become worse with as I got older.. Though I lived with it. Also I experienced my first migraine which were followed by almost daily tension headaches. My doctor recommended Effexor. I was very nervous to try after the many things I read googling. I told her I was also concerned about weight gain and sexual dysfunction. I was a newlywed of 40.. Worked hard to loose weight. She still recommended it. In a few weeks I could feel better. I noticed as time went on I was calmer.. I wasn't having 10 thoughts at once. I felt at peace. I started sleeping better. Because I felt better and my mind was clear, I was more patient. Sex was even better. I did not gain weight. a little nausea at first."

Angiedt (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2016

"Has anyone experienced weigh gain with this?"

Over welled February 17, 2016

"I have been on this medication for over 6 years now, 150 dose although it does help quite a bit if you're forgetful like me and miss a dose you're going to be in a world full of trouble even one day will make you feel sick although I still get panic attacks now and then. I find it does really help."

Dannna February 11, 2016

"I have Hereditary Depression, Bipolar Type 2, PTSD, High Anxiety, Insomnia, I also had some bad Paranoia issues at the time prescribed because of an insane stalker. I have taken over 50 medication combinations. This by far is the worst drug I have ever taken. I knick named it, "Effects Her!!!". The medication was hell on Earth for me. I had several bad side effects on this med. The worst being that when I fell asleep my brain created extremely realistic vivid dreams. Also, after sleeping for a few hours, it seemed like very high impact stressful weeks had just gone by in real time. So I had to try to decipher reality upon waking. Needless to say, I lost my job! My Anxiety and Paranoia were worse! Plus it is absolute Hell to come off of!!!"

Never take this EVER!!! February 6, 2016

"I take 75mg daily! Took a good two full weeks to adjust! Will experience weird dreams, insomnia and sweats the first two weeks! Hang in there, for me it was a lifesaver!"

Jean5232 January 26, 2016

"The drug works well. The problem is trying to get off it or if you run out of pills. Numerous blogs are dedicated to the horror stories of detoxing from this Med! Be very careful and do your research before you start taking this drug!!!"

TaxiTaxi January 26, 2016

"I was prescribed Effexor XR for anxiety while I was home from college over winter break. I took it one day and I felt good but then I couldn't sleep for the following entire next day and then it made me feel completely sick so I didn't take another one the next day because I wanted to be able to fall asleep. 5 days later I tried to take it again to see if I would be able to fall asleep and that time I wasn't able to fall asleep the next two days and I felt extremely sick and like my brain hurt so bad the next day after taking it. Its been over a week now since the second time I took and I feel like I hate my life. I've never been so depressed and anxious. how long will this last? major regret"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2016

"This medication has helped me immensely! I tried Lexapro, but had too many negative side effects. Effexor took about 6 weeks to fully work, but it really brought me out of the depths of my anxirty fuelled depression. I finally feel myself after many years of living in the fog. The side effects for the first 2 weeks for me were: insomnia, increased anxiety/depression, hot flashes, and nausea. These all disappeared after the initial 2 weeks and it's totally worth getting through that rough patch. Once Effexor started working I thought, OMG! I'm back! My body is dependent on it, though. If I miss a dose, I get dizzy and nauseous. Just know you must wean yourself off and not go cold turkey so you don't feel sick."

Anxiety Girl 2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2015

"Hi All, I'm a 26-year-old African American woman and I'm so glad that I found Effexor (Venlafaxine, for me) because it has really helped me manage my anxiety and depression. It's not common to talk about medication in the Black community so if you're reading this and think that the drug might help you - just give it a try! My therapist said that Effexor really tends to help young women. I have been on the drug for 16 months and went from 75 mg to 150mg. I just checked in with my prescribing psychiatrist today and I figured I would take some time to write reviews for people who haven't made the jump to medication. I also use Beating the Blues CBT online tool - it's free at my job! The combination, plus eating healthy and working out, works!"

TravelPants December 11, 2015

"To Socanxiety. I have been on EffexorXR for over 10 years. (I also have short term memory loss so my doctor put me on Concerta, 36 mgs, which is the lowest dose and it is helping!) I am 59 years old and am happy and less anxious with taking effexor 225 mgs a day. I take 75mg pill before bed and am less anxious when I get up. Then I take the 150mg capsule in the morning. I still have times that I have anticipatory anxiety and use 10 mgs of Valium which helps. I am hoping when we retire and move south that I can lower the Effexor. Great med and I have tried many over the last 20 years!!"

Nomoreanxietyplease1956 November 13, 2015

"2.5 years after the birth of my child I realized I needed help for PPD/PPA. My irritability and anger just kept getting worse and I would go days without leaving the house. I was put on Effexor XR 75mg. I only took one dose around 830 PM. I was up all night, jittery, restless, vivid dreams. The following day I was so out of it I feared I couldn't care for my child and had my SO come home. I was incredibly nauseated and jittery with sprqodic muscle spasms, my fingers were shaking a bit and I had heart palpitations. It was awful. Around 6 PM it started to go away but didn't completely until the following day. I will never take this medication again, it was very scary."

Kxhild (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

"After dealing with social anxiety every day, avoiding situations, and constantly being tense I decided that medication was the choice for me. Effexor is the second drug I have tried. This medication has improved my social anxiety in a way that I never thought was possible. I enjoy talking with people and can't believe almost all of my anxiety has vanished. I have read that Effexor can be a slight stimulant, and I do notice this is a big reason I am more talkative and confident. NEGATIVES: My memory is way worse than it's ever been. I do not concentrate well when people are speaking and retaining the information is difficult. My worries are gone, but so are my thoughts about everything. Feel foggy. No other side effects"

socanxiety September 14, 2015

"I tried Paroxetine, Prozac and Celexa and had no positive results so my doctor advised I try Effexor XR given it is a SNRI or different class of drug. Almost immediately < 1 Week I felt a positive mood change, my social anxiety and mild stuttering seem to dissipate and I felt balanced. I have been taking Effexor XR now for almost a month now and my anxiety has dropped right off that I feel my normal self again, I am a lot more social and I stutter hardly ever and I think more logically. The only down sides are that I do sleep more and find it harder getting up in the mornings for work and have noticed fluid retention around my abdomen. I do not mind these small side effects because this drug has really helped me get my life together. :)"

MrPatrick August 16, 2015

"I was on this medication for 2 years and I felt great..no anxiety.. I weaned off over 3 months and have totally been off for 3 month.. All my issues came back. Just started back today fingers crossed it works again. I should have never stopped taking. It was a life changer"

Melissa114 August 9, 2015

"I was put on this medication for anxiety and depression as I had previously been on lexapro 15mg for 3 years and had consistently had a insatiable appetite. I saw a pyc specialising in perinatal depression as I changed whilst pregnant. I started on 37.5mg of Effexor but needed to constantly increase 75.5mg then 112.5 mg as My biggest complaint on this medication was extreme aggression. I would get so angry I doubted my ability to not harm my children. I obviously saw my doc who has taken me off it, withdrawal was ok till back down to 37.5 mg. Please don't take this medication try everything else before this- side effects for withdrawal are awful I've just got off it and switched to Zoloft and 2nd day in already feeling better."

SD-positive thinker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 24, 2015

"Was put on a high dose of 375mg and find it overestimulating not good for my anxiety"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2015

"Effexor stopped my panic attacks almost completely. It's also great for post-menopausal hot flashes. Like others said, you can't miss a dose, but other than that it's amazing. A total life-changer."

So Happy I Found This! June 21, 2015