User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Effexor XR Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 102 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Anxiety

"The drug works well. The problem is trying to get off it or if you run out of pills. Numerous blogs are dedicated to the horror stories of detoxing from this Med! Be very careful and do your research before you start taking this drug!!!"

TaxiTaxi January 26, 2016

"I was prescribed Effexor XR for anxiety while I was home from college over winter break. I took it one day and I felt good but then I couldn't sleep for the following entire next day and then it made me feel completely sick so I didn't take another one the next day because I wanted to be able to fall asleep. 5 days later I tried to take it again to see if I would be able to fall asleep and that time I wasn't able to fall asleep the next two days and I felt extremely sick and like my brain hurt so bad the next day after taking it. Its been over a week now since the second time I took and I feel like I hate my life. I've never been so depressed and anxious. how long will this last? major regret"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2016

"This medication has helped me immensely! I tried Lexapro, but had too many negative side effects. Effexor took about 6 weeks to fully work, but it really brought me out of the depths of my anxirty fuelled depression. I finally feel myself after many years of living in the fog. The side effects for the first 2 weeks for me were: insomnia, increased anxiety/depression, hot flashes, and nausea. These all disappeared after the initial 2 weeks and it's totally worth getting through that rough patch. Once Effexor started working I thought, OMG! I'm back! My body is dependent on it, though. If I miss a dose, I get dizzy and nauseous. Just know you must wean yourself off and not go cold turkey so you don't feel sick."

Anxiety Girl 2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2015

"Hi All, I'm a 26-year-old African American woman and I'm so glad that I found Effexor (Venlafaxine, for me) because it has really helped me manage my anxiety and depression. It's not common to talk about medication in the Black community so if you're reading this and think that the drug might help you - just give it a try! My therapist said that Effexor really tends to help young women. I have been on the drug for 16 months and went from 75 mg to 150mg. I just checked in with my prescribing psychiatrist today and I figured I would take some time to write reviews for people who haven't made the jump to medication. I also use Beating the Blues CBT online tool - it's free at my job! The combination, plus eating healthy and working out, works!"

TravelPants December 11, 2015

"To Socanxiety. I have been on EffexorXR for over 10 years. (I also have short term memory loss so my doctor put me on Concerta, 36 mgs, which is the lowest dose and it is helping!) I am 59 years old and am happy and less anxious with taking effexor 225 mgs a day. I take 75mg pill before bed and am less anxious when I get up. Then I take the 150mg capsule in the morning. I still have times that I have anticipatory anxiety and use 10 mgs of Valium which helps. I am hoping when we retire and move south that I can lower the Effexor. Great med and I have tried many over the last 20 years!!"

Nomoreanxietyplease1956 November 13, 2015

"2.5 years after the birth of my child I realized I needed help for PPD/PPA. My irritability and anger just kept getting worse and I would go days without leaving the house. I was put on Effexor XR 75mg. I only took one dose around 830 PM. I was up all night, jittery, restless, vivid dreams. The following day I was so out of it I feared I couldn't care for my child and had my SO come home. I was incredibly nauseated and jittery with sprqodic muscle spasms, my fingers were shaking a bit and I had heart palpitations. It was awful. Around 6 PM it started to go away but didn't completely until the following day. I will never take this medication again, it was very scary."

Kxhild (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

"After dealing with social anxiety every day, avoiding situations, and constantly being tense I decided that medication was the choice for me. Effexor is the second drug I have tried. This medication has improved my social anxiety in a way that I never thought was possible. I enjoy talking with people and can't believe almost all of my anxiety has vanished. I have read that Effexor can be a slight stimulant, and I do notice this is a big reason I am more talkative and confident. NEGATIVES: My memory is way worse than it's ever been. I do not concentrate well when people are speaking and retaining the information is difficult. My worries are gone, but so are my thoughts about everything. Feel foggy. No other side effects"

socanxiety September 14, 2015

"I tried Paroxetine, Prozac and Celexa and had no positive results so my doctor advised I try Effexor XR given it is a SNRI or different class of drug. Almost immediately < 1 Week I felt a positive mood change, my social anxiety and mild stuttering seem to dissipate and I felt balanced. I have been taking Effexor XR now for almost a month now and my anxiety has dropped right off that I feel my normal self again, I am a lot more social and I stutter hardly ever and I think more logically. The only down sides are that I do sleep more and find it harder getting up in the mornings for work and have noticed fluid retention around my abdomen. I do not mind these small side effects because this drug has really helped me get my life together. :)"

MrPatrick August 16, 2015

"I was on this medication for 2 years and I felt great..no anxiety.. I weaned off over 3 months and have totally been off for 3 month.. All my issues came back. Just started back today fingers crossed it works again. I should have never stopped taking. It was a life changer"

Melissa114 August 9, 2015

"I was put on this medication for anxiety and depression as I had previously been on lexapro 15mg for 3 years and had consistently had a insatiable appetite. I saw a pyc specialising in perinatal depression as I changed whilst pregnant. I started on 37.5mg of Effexor but needed to constantly increase 75.5mg then 112.5 mg as My biggest complaint on this medication was extreme aggression. I would get so angry I doubted my ability to not harm my children. I obviously saw my doc who has taken me off it, withdrawal was ok till back down to 37.5 mg. Please don't take this medication try everything else before this- side effects for withdrawal are awful I've just got off it and switched to Zoloft and 2nd day in already feeling better."

SD-positive thinker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 24, 2015

"Was put on a high dose of 375mg and find it overestimulating not good for my anxiety"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2015

"Effexor stopped my panic attacks almost completely. It's also great for post-menopausal hot flashes. Like others said, you can't miss a dose, but other than that it's amazing. A total life-changer."

So Happy I Found This! June 21, 2015

"Downside of this med is the first few days, it's tough getting in a regular sleeping sync, it can cause nausea without food or with too much water at one time, and you can't go off abruptly or start taking large doses right away because it can have side effects. However, this medication leaves an unbelievable amount of satisfaction feeling after it takes effect. It took effect on me instantly, but that's my body. I take it midday or late morning after a good meal so it doesn't interrupt my sleep as much. If you don't have slow release, splitting it up might be a good idea, with at least a few hours in between. It prevents me from overeating, but it also prevents me from starving myself because if I don't eat enough I'll feel nauseated."

Munraito June 4, 2015

"Started on 37.5mg for a month. First two days were only side effects - I was a little jumpy, couldn't keep legs still, and had insomnia. That went away in 48 hours. Then it shifted to making me sleepy and fairly relaxed. However, I still had breakthrough anxiety crying and didn't feel much change in depression. Decided to up the dose and have been at 75mg for a while now. No side effects. This dose has obliterated my anxiety and helped with depression. All I feel is calm and relaxed. I am more outgoing and happy. Only thing I noticed, like so many others, is that it is tough to miss a dose. But, don't let that dissuade you from trying it. It really has been a miracle for me."

Atexun May 7, 2015

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on Effexor for anxiety for about 15 years. It changed my life. I tried Wellbutrin first but it made me even more anxiety ridden. For a brief time I felt like the Effexor was not working as well so I switched to Pristiq. Pristiq increased my anxiety so after about 6 months I switched back. Within 3 days I felt almost completely better."

Helprec'd May 5, 2015

"I have had anxiety and depression for years. Was on all different types of medicines. Even got so badly depressed and anxious that I was bedridden for almost 1 year. I got switched to Effexor and in a few days felt great! I cannot believe I spent all these years in darkness! This is the best medicine ever for me! I am not depressed and zero anxiety! I just wish I would have been on it earlier."

Sonjatx1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2015

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Not perfect but pretty close. Switched from Paxil(no emotions)-> Wellbutrin(aka severe anorexia)->Effexor. Basically all medications were pretty decent at anxiety coverage. I found Paxil to be the best without thinking of anything but anxiety attacks. Wellbutrin to be the least effective. Effexor was somewhere in the middle while still letting me enjoy life with an occasional anxiety attack. Since I've been on Effexor I've had maybe 3-4 small anxiety attacks in the span of 2-3 years."

Pops91 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2015

"You have to keep taking this medicine forever. The withdrawl is awful after a day. However, once you find your dose everything is fine. I don't recommend this medicine because its like a marriage with a messy long divorce. Its better to stay on it once youre on it. I am on 150 mg and it works for me. Don't try and go off"

kevin1234 April 13, 2015

"I started having panic attacks at age 10, always been a struggle, then started having really bad bouts of depression. Things got to stage where I was just so tired of being scared all the time and finding it hard to function. I've been on many antidepressants through the years, Lexapro I had been in for over 10 years, phych weaned me off and put me on Effexor. I actually can't believe this. It's only day 2 On 37.5mg to be increased to 75 next week, but I swear I feel a calmness I haven't felt before, surely after 2 days I'm thinking this can't be right, but after reading some reviews I can see that others have had relief in a short time from this medicine. No side effects. Just feel calm. Feeling hopeful"

Calamity017 March 17, 2015

"Been on Effexor since July 2014. I take the lower dosage 2x a day as the higher one all at once made me feel sick. I have severe anxiety to the point where i didn't want to leave the house. I am also on Ativan for moments i know when i panic...way better than Xanax. I was on Paxil, Wellbutron...neither worked, made me feel like a zombie. The only drawback with the Effexor is that I am exhausted!!"

drea1973 February 25, 2015

"This is by far the most effective antidepressant I have EVER taken. I have tried Prozac, Zoloft, and Celexa which all caused numerous unwanted side effects. I have been on Effexor XR for a month and in the beginning the only side effect I experienced was being sleepy. This went away after about a week. I can tell you after just one week my mood lifted and I have zero anxiety. Thank you Effexor XR."

Anonymous February 10, 2015

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Effexor XR for about a year, after switching from Paxil. It is a scary thing to read all these reviews, and question about whether you should or should not take it. I personally started for anxiety, and it has helped tremendously. To me having panic attacks is not a fun task, yes are there side effects but everything you put into your body does. Please try what your doctor recommends before you read all the reviews."

0521j0929d January 26, 2015

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Update to review below. I have now been on Effexor XR for six months, and I can honestly say that it's worked wonders in eliminating my depression and obsessive thinking. I wasn't able to stay on the low 37.5mg dose, as I discovered that this is a starting dose only. I have been on 150 mg for about four months, and apparently this is the lowest effective dose for achieving a therapeutic effect for most disorders. My depression has gone, and I no longer have obsessive thoughts that were making daily life a living hell. The only drawback with Effexor XR is that it has low half life, which means that it doesn't stay in your system for long, and if you miss a dose you will feel withdrawal within a few hours. This medicine has been a life saver!"

Rob C (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 23, 2014

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Have been on Effexor xr 75mg for about 1 year now for anxiety & panic attacks. I had a constant odd pain in my stomach (like butterflys and hunger). I would sweat uncontrollably & get dizzy & faint if I was put in a situation I wasn't comfortable with. I went to a Dr. who diagnosed me with anxiety and put me onto Effexor. The first 3 days were hell, every bad review I read on Google I could relate to, I even ended up going to the ER one night as I felt so nauseous and felt like I was losing control and could not stop freaking out. The Dr told me to stick to it, and promised it would get better. I'm so glad I did. I feel that this medication has saved me. I can almost live a normal life again."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 4, 2014

185 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've suffered severe anxiety/panic attacks my entire life. I've had Xanax, Valium, Prozac and Edronax over the cause of my years. I finally changed doctor, came off everything, to start where I'm at now. I began on 37.5mg over two weeks ago and noticed a difference straight away. Now on 75mg and getting better every single day. My panic attacks could cause me to pass out, so this is a huge leap in health for me. For those concerned about coming off Xanax, it's so worth the effort. I now feel like I'm getting my life back and I'm truly grateful."

starsoul50 (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2014

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next