User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Champix, Chantix

Learn more about Varenicline.

Varenicline Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Varenicline to treat Smoking Cessation

Chantix (varenicline): "I smoked for 42 years and never thought I would quit and frankly didn't want to.Oh like everyone I "tried" over the years and even took chantix, I had some side effects but nothing too bad and used them as an excuse to start smoking again.The year I turned 55,for some reason I decided to call my Dr.and try chantix one more time. Surprise it worked, I have been a non smoker for a year and feel great. Yes there are side effects but they can be conquered. I am so happy I decided to really do it this time. Chantix WORKED for me."

G Maw (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I had smoked since I was a teenager, at about a pack a day when I finally said enough is enough. I used Chantix which was prescribed by my MD and that was Labor Day 2012. I had little to no side effects, may have had a weird dream, but hardly considered a night terror. I am 50 years old and I am thankful every day now to refer to myself as a "non-smoker". Have had no desire whatsoever since then to ever consider smoking again... If you are on the fence and really want to stop for you, your health and to free yourself from the prison of smoking, all I can say is that it worked for me and thankful for my smoke free car, home, life...."

debcal65 (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "Now onto Week 5 of non smoking with Champix. Have tried many cessation tools (patches etc) but this has been the best for controlling urges to smoke easier. However, side effects for me have been crazy so will be stopping the course early. The side effects include insomnia, tiredness, lucid dreams, lethargy, swollen legs and ankles, sore feet, constipation, nausea, mood swings that feel more in line with bi-polar depression/quick to anger/anxiety/frustration. More than the usual nicotine withdrawal associated symptoms."

KiwiShell (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I'm not sure if this is going to help anyone in anyway but I have stopped smoking using Champix very easily and believe me I really didn't think I was going to be able to do it as I've smoked for 28 years and was a pack a day smoker. I stopped smoking on the day I started taking it and I think this makes a difference, everyone I have spoken to who has continued to smoke for a week or two before their quit date has suffererd side effects, my friends and myself who quit on the day they started taking Champix have had no side effects. My Dr advised me not to smoke at all on this medication as this will increase the side effects not sure if it's true for all but definately for the people I know who have done it this way."

Sheldy (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I smoked for 17yrs and smoked almost 18 cigs a day, I am on day 8 with Champix and today is my first day with no smoking, the day before I smoked 5 and yesterday 3 cigs wow, its so amazing how Champix works because every time you have a smoke the cig makes you feel more sick. You end up thinking twice to have another cig. I am so impressed with Champix even though I am suffering with nausea I give big thumbs up to Champix."

Leemoo February 3, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I have tried Champix September 7th 2012 and have not smoked since. I smoked for 53 yrs and believe me I tried 7 times before I finally did it with Champix. I feel much better and can walk longer and exercise with little stress and my taste buds are greater then ever. Thank you Champix (You were and still is are my life safer)"

Gates2424 January 31, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I have been smoking since I've been 14 years old. I'm now 53.in the past I have tried quitting SO many times. I have a lung disease & my Drs have warned me to quit. My next step will be toting around a oxygen tank with m, .now I'm serious. I first started on the patches which I became allergic to. I've been on chantix for 5 days now & so far I'm doing better with all my withdrawals then I expected.I must quit! chantix will allow me to!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I started champix for 8 days, nil nausea however I became very depressed, irritable, repetitive negative thoughts, sedation and unable to focus so I'm sorry but I won't be trying it again.. Will Power will have to be my weapon."

jekell January 30, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I am on my 9th day today , and only quit smoking yesterday, was on 2 for the past 3 days before my quit day (to be completely honest , unless it was social pressure i wouldn't even had them ). I woke up today excited about life. My sense are going through a new phase as well, I can finally enjoy the taste of my food and smell the wet grass in the park. Its all new for me but i am just loving it , and since champix is blocking all your cravings you start wondering why didn't I do this earlier? There are side effects for sure, its completely worth it. I realized that the side effects that i had are the same ones when I tried to quit not using Champix, I did have terrible dreams back then , and would wake up sweating."

Rozanne666 January 29, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "This medicine mucked my mind up:. I took it five years ago for two months and it took my mind away from me. Be careful because it ruined who I was."

Tucku January 28, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I started Chantix on July 23, 2007 after smoking for smoking for 43 years. I had lost my father, grandfather and uncle to lung cancer and yet I continued to smoke. So in 2007, I spent more money than I could really afford to give Chantix a try. By August 27th I was smoke free!! I didn't need a second month's worth, I was free!! I have been smoke free since that day, 8.5 years!! So much better than patches or gum, I thank you for giving us Chantix. I wish every smoker would try it. I had tried to quit probably, at least 10 or 12 times but always went back without ever really quitting, just hiding it from my family. No more, smoke free!! Thank you!"

Granne3 January 27, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "Horrible! I have been a smoker for 14 years. I tried chantix and the dreams are so bad I didn't sleep but a hour or so a day for 21 days before going crazy from sleep deprivation. I attempted to harm myself multiple times, lost my job & boyfriend, I had to send my kids off because I feared what I might do. I trusted nobody cause I feared they were all out to get me. I couldn't breathe, my whole left side went numb for a week...this medication ruined my life and I'm still a smoker (which I feel safer doing)"

JessKersey (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "It didn't work for me I'm still smoking. The dreams were cool though."

SMokeJokerMidnightTOker (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "Hi everybody Today is my first day using this drug as antismoking agent.... I read well about.... I think it will help me... Important thing is to start hating smoking inside you... Now really I hate smoking.... I wish champix can help me to stop."

Dr.Amir January 25, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "On day 8, decided that I can't take a morning dose, because no matter what I usually can't keep it down. Initial nausea is fleeting but intense (much more so in the morning), and feeling somewhat nauseous all day. Ginger root pills don't touch this. also experiencing regular/constant headaches. no problems w/ vivid or disruptive dreams. I'm going to bed earlier & sleeping like a champion!! BUT as a 20 year smoker, I don't want to quit (but feel like I need to), and Chantix is AMAZING at blocking the desire to smoke. Only a week in, smoking 1/2 as much or less, and solely out of habit. No cravings, cigs no longer taste good to me."

arsm11 (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I had tried taking this last year and had got to the point where I wasn't smoking anymore. I had quit for about 2-3 wks and decided I would be fine without chantix..needless to say I ended up smoking again. I am now back on chantix and have been smoke free for 4 days now. I don't really feel the need to smoke. I can smell it on people now and it makes me sick to my stomach. The only side effects I have really had is nausea and weird dreams. The dreams are just really vivid not scary and the nausea is definitely worse when I don't eat enough or drink enough water before taking the pill. However side effects definitely worth it. In just 4 days I can feel a huge difference"

Anonymous January 25, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I am 66 years old and after 50 (yes,50) years of smoking, I proudly say I am an ex smoker! I was making ready for ankle surgery and my doctor told me I would probably heal better if I did not smoke. The time was perfect to quit. I got a prescription for Chantix. I took it as directed. My last cigarette was October 7, 2015 - the day before my surgery. I am so happy to be an ex smoker!"

MomMomof8 January 24, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I've been a smoker for over 10 years now and also a heavy drinker (boarder line alcoholic) I've tried every way possible to quit with no success until chantix. It's only been a week but I have zero interest in smoking. I have had a few side effects: I'm extremely nausea if don't eat before hand, weird dreams, slight irritability/anxiety, constipation, and a good amount of loss of concentration (forgetting to complete simple daily tasks at work.) However, I feel over all great the withdrawal is so minimal the thought of smoking makes me sick and a plus is I have zero interest in drinking either! One BIG suggestion is this medication really really works wonders but you have to want it and make the change."

Anonymous January 24, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I'm 39, and have been a smoker for 20 years. I'll be 40 in March, and that was always a hard stop for me. I mean, if I didn't quit by 40, when would I ever? Quitting was tough for me. I would be very cranky, lethargic, pi**ssed off, and would nic fit. I always wanted to stop, but in my heart of hearts, never 100%. This time I wanted to quit 100% and be done forever, and man did Chantix come through. I smoked for 12 days while taking Chantix, and it's not that it made me stop. I noticed the gross cig smell more on my hands and shirts, but that was about it. The HUGE difference for me was that when I did stop, my mood was basically the same. What a miracle. No nic fitting, no more tired, just me feeling great and empowered."

Pleasantly Surprised... (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "Chantix worked great for me! I smoked for the first week. I took my pills for 5 more days and then felt good enough not to take the pills any more. I have not had a pill in 3 days and have not smoked in 8 days. I feel great. I had dreams but they were good dreams. No problems for me."

Jlm1 January 23, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I am 52 and have smoked since I was 16. I gave up with patches 7 years ago for 3 years .. Then started again I have tried patches again, and Hypnosis, but nothing worked so I tried champix, a couple of people at work had tried and failed with it last year but one lady I know tried it 4 years ago and is still not smoking , I have taken 14 tablets now and not smoked for 3 days which is amazing for me! But the side effects have been ( and have now stopped) horrible. I spent all weekend in bed under the quilt feeling sick , giddy and spaced out, I have been constipated for two weeks ( ok now) head aches . Tired can't drink wine or coffee! ( not realy a bad thing!)but I am loving the dreams ! its working so it's worth it!"

Mrs. Melanie martin January 21, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "After 47 years of smoking more than a pack a day and after 15 years of dreaming to get rid of it , I finally heard of Champix as it is called in these parts. It's like a miracle. The cravings, almost unbearable with cold turkey, went away just like that from the very beginning. I am in my third clean week now. Side effects are really crazy dreams, a daylong slight dizziness, loss of appetite, constipation. But it's all worth it. Short pangs of craving occasionally occur. This product should be far more widely publicized ! There is hope now."

jef from belgium (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "Two years smoke free, quit in three days. Disappointed I didn't get the crazy dreams, no side effect!"

RobRobRobRobRobRob (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "Chantix was the easiest way I could have imagined to quit my 30 year, 2 pack a day habit. It took two rounds since I fell off the non-smoking wagon after the first attempt but I'm now smoke free for over three years. I had some vivid dreams but to be honest, I enjoyed them! :)"

Mystii (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I smoked for 43 years, I got up to a pack and a half to two packs a day. I started taking Chantix December 18th, 2015, my quit date was December 26th.. I took about three draws off of a cigarette about a week after my quit day and it taste horrible and made me sick. The only side effect that I had was agitation, I only was agitated when driving and with one co-worker. I stopped taking Chantix after 30 days due to the agitation. I haven't smoked in 22 days, I continue to get the urge to smoke, but it passes after a few minutes. GREATFUL...."

GREATFUL January 17, 2016