User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Champix, Chantix

Learn more about Varenicline.

Varenicline review summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Varenicline to treat Smoking Cessation

Review by Lalex66 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): Today is my one year anniversary of being smoke free - thank you Chantix! I took this for 3 months, and weened myself off of it the same way I began it. I also cut the dosage down to one pill a day at the 6-week mark. I checked in with my doctor after a month about depression (this and and the weening off of the medcine I believe are very important to success). I had some tough days, but really clear thinking and the ability to say no when a craving would come over me. I smoked for 35 years...If I can do it, so can you!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2015 5:33 PM

Review by bevgail:

Chantix (varenicline): I was a smoker for 44 years and wanted to quit smoking because was going to become a grandmother. I heard about Chantix from my brother and decided to try it. I had used other things to quit but was never successful. After using Chantix for 1 week I no longer was a smoker. That was 8 years ago and I am very happy that my granddaughter has never had a grandma that smelled like smoke.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2015 9:27 AM

Review by luvbug200417:

Chantix (varenicline): I started using Chantix September 2014. I'm was getting close to my 50th birthday and I really wanted to stop and it helped me to do it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2015 10:37 PM

Review by BreezyPtgirl:

Chantix (varenicline): My husband and I both used Chantix and quit smoking last July. Used for 3 months and did not go back. Side effects were the vivid dreams which were awesome. Terrific product.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2015 8:10 PM

Review by Scotty LaRue:

Chantix (varenicline): I've been 5 years non smoking. Chantix was a big big help in making it happen. I slept like a log while taking Chantix, and after a month of it, I was done smoking. I never craved cigarette's after the 1st week of using it. This has got to be one of the greatest medicines ever made. Use it.

February 15, 2015 12:45 PM

Review by don o (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): I smoked for 50+ years. Took it for one week and that was it. I didn't think it was possible for me to quit. It has been 6 years now. Great product.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 14, 2015 6:48 PM

Review by Mssactomikki (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): I have been smoking for 30+ years and quit using Chantix. The only side effects for me were the nausea and wild dreams. Knowing the outcome was better than the side effects I took it for 2 weeks, got through the hardest part and moved forward smoke free. If you get side effects and are determined to stop smoking it will help!

February 14, 2015 11:01 AM

Review by MisterMike24:

Chantix (varenicline): I am amazed with Chantix! I've smoked a pack a day or more for five year and it made my cravings nearly completely cease. Nausea and the bad vivid (sometimes lucid) dreams were the only side effects I experienced. I stopped the nausea by eating and drinking water with the medication. Wonderful, wonderful product!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2015 11:46 PM

Review by irishman813 (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): I have been smoke free for seven years this January after smoking for well more than half of my life. It seemed quite easy for me, and hopefully for you as well. Only advice I would offer while on this is be sure to eat BEFORE taking your dose. I got very sick on an empty stomach. Hope this helps and good luck to everyone.

February 11, 2015 3:55 PM

Review by Asylumbound (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): Once I decided I was going to stop smoking (after about 28 yrs of smoking more than a pack a day I started Chantix in May 2013 and I haven't smoked again since. Luckily I didn't have any side effects. I did gain 20 lbs since then but I do feel better. I don't have to worry about long flights anymore etc. I didn't even finish the second phase of the medication. It's definitely worth trying. If I can quit anyone can!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2015 10:18 PM

Review by Tmhweber:

Chantix (varenicline): I've smoked for 19 years and I am amazed as to how well Chantix has worked! I don't even want a cigarette. The only side effect was the dreams and they weren't crazy just weird and constant, it kind of was funny to tell people about them the next day. Personally I'd recommend it!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2015 9:05 PM

Review by sammy24:

Chantix (varenicline): I don't understand why this medication is not doing one thing for me? I know it works for everyone and yet for me, I just don't feel anything except that I want to smoke. I have cheated a little but I am trying. I think I would be just as good trying to quit on my own. I am disappointed because I was so excited to get this medication finally.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 3, 2015 6:48 AM

Review by Rosario2015:

Chantix (varenicline): After over twenty years of smoking, I am finally free. Thank you Chantix. Never felt better.

February 2, 2015 9:25 PM

Review by maniak (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): I used to gamble a lot. After Chantix, I have no urge to gamble. Thanks.

February 2, 2015 4:42 PM

Review by Paul 03/20/2014:

Champix (varenicline): Champix was amazing. Important Information. I started taking Champix 03/12/2014 Quit Smoking and Quit Taking Champix on 03/20/2014. That's right only 8 days into the so called course. I did A week and today is 10.5 months smoke free.. I went to the Doctor's for some blood work on 03/18/2014 and Doctor's called me back the Clinic to discuss my blood work.. Doctor's said my Liver Enzynes have elevated to 400 and it should between 0-50. I was only on Champix for 8 days and my Enzynes elevated so high with-in those 8 days, The doctor told me discontinue the Champix. The first thing I said to the doctor "NO WAY" Got be kidding. I just finally quit today Doctor sad too bad. The funny thing was there is on Champix course didn't want A CIG.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 31, 2015 4:26 PM

Review by trudylou (taken for less than 1 month):

Champix (varenicline): I was prescribed Champix by my doctor and started on the them on the 12th January. I had to pick a date as a quit date, I chose the 25th Jan. I was a heavy smoker for over 20 years and on 2 packs of 20 a day (awful) I am proud to say I am a non smoker after taking Champix for just 12 days. To me this medicine is a pure miracle, I have to finish my tablets which were to last for 14 days. I have had headaches and really bad dreams that have woken me but I can live with that, I have no cravings at all to smoke and the thought of it does make me feel a bit of nausea. I just pray this last's as it truly is a miracle medicine.

January 24, 2015 7:10 PM

Review by jnaples (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): My 6 year old son said he wanted me to quit smoking for his birthday. I started Chantix and was very surprised with the results. I have been smoking for 23 years. My son's birthday is in two days and I have not smoked in 2 weeks. I don't even miss them! I am proud to tell my son that I'm a quitter! I feel great! I even lost 5 pounds in a week! Thank you I could never have done it without Chantix! "Happy 7th Birthday my wonderful Son."

January 22, 2015 9:52 AM

Review by three marlanas:

Chantix (varenicline): I never thought I would be able to quit smoking but I did. After the starter pack I only used Chantix for three additional weeks. From there I was able to quit on my own. Five months now. No slip ups.

January 21, 2015 8:05 PM

Review by Marcdw:

Champix (varenicline): Smoked for 20 years, tried gums, patches, hypnotised etc. No Joy. Took Champix, and on day 12 just effortlessly stopped. Minor side effects where a bit of muscle tension, a few minutes of nausea each day, and for the early weeks felt a tiny bit vacant in my mind (probably withdrawal) Stopped Champix after 12 weeks, and have now been smoke free for 7 months. Its been really easy, but always be ready to say 'no' whenever the opportunity arises to smoke. just gutted I never did it earlier.

January 21, 2015 12:28 PM

Review by navydadsr (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): Had been smoking for over 20 years, kids and wife wanted me to stop. Got my doctor to give me a prescription he gave it to me for 60 days took only two weeks, no side effects no cheating its been 3 years no smoking and I love it.

January 14, 2015 9:54 PM

Review by Kandiselee:

Chantix (varenicline): I would highly recommend this medication for smoking cessation. It was my saving grace to quitting smoking. I had bad dreams the first two nights when I was taking it in the am and in the evening. I switched the 2nd dose to after lunch and the bad dreams stopped. No other side effects. Absolutely the best medication ever to help you quit smoking.

January 11, 2015 4:19 PM

Review by jfrivera:

Chantix (varenicline): Chantix was the best thing that happens to me, took it 3 months and I feel great smoke free after 35 years.

January 9, 2015 5:44 PM

Review by Ragz:

Chantix (varenicline): I'm 43 and smoked since 18. I tried the patch and gum and could not last more than a week. I tried Chantix and it was mind blowing. Nothing really changed but after the first 2 or 3 days of taking it Cigs just tested awful and I didn't get that "cig fix". It got to a point where it was just why bother? I stopped for a month right off the bat. I stopped taking my meds early as I thought I was "cured". Mistake. I didnt really want another cig until I went drinking. Even then the urge was not too much but just made a bad decision while drunk and thought I missed it. I really didnt and got back and finished my supply of Chantix. For me the only side effect were dreams. Very very weird and crazy dreams. It worked for me.

January 7, 2015 10:28 AM

Review by kimberh (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): The best invention since the wheel!! Its magical, its amazing! Chantix actually makes you NOT want to smoke! I wish I did this years ago. Here's a tip for those who got sickly from it. Maybe the prescribed dosage is too much for your system to handle. Try introducing it to your body slower by extending the lower dose from 1 week to 2-3 weeks, or even cut the lower dose in half. Or maybe all you need is half the dose the entire time. And I recommend tapering off Chantix for a couple weeks when you're finished. Everybody is different, so its worth trying what works for you!

January 6, 2015 11:01 AM

Review by Vicky Chan:

Chantix (varenicline): Smoked for 13 years, tried patches for years and the longest I had done was 1 month. I started the tablets on my 3 week holiday (I did get ill, couldn't sleep properly and was sad) but at the end of the day it worked and I only took 2 weeks worth of the pills before I stopped taking them completely.

January 5, 2015 11:19 AM