User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Champix, Chantix

Learn more about Varenicline.

Varenicline Review Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Varenicline to treat Smoking Cessation

Chantix (varenicline): "I smoked 3 packs a day for 38 years and have gone 60 days smoke free thanks to chantix"

mpaul195 May 26, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "I am approaching my 1 year anniversary as a non-smoker. I am 48 and had been smoking as of the age of 11. I tried to quit so many times over the years, even having my mother pass away from lung cancer wasn't enough to do it. Until I tried Champix. I don't know what it did to my brain but I haven't had as much as one craving this past year, and that has been the problem in the past. I smell smoke or have a drink and there I go giving into the cravings. Not this time. Best thing I've ever done for ME. I must admit I only used it for 7 of the 12 weeks but I found I was ready. The one thing I did that I would recommend to others is to ween off the pills like when you start them so it's not just a cold turkey with the drugs."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I am 26 years old. I have been smoking half a pack per day, of menthol 100 cigarettes, for 8 years. I am on day 14 smoke-free. After the 3rd day on Chantix, I couldn't even force myself to smoke a cigarette. Completely disgusted, even by the smell of second-hand smoke now! I only take half of the adult daily dose, and I still have zero urges. I have many vivid dreams at night, but nothing terrifying or crazy. My mood is very stable. The first few days I felt a little agitated and felt some rage, but that could just be nicotine withdrawal. Now, I feel fine and I am a non-smoker. The only side effect that was bad, was the nausea. Felt it the first week, very strong, but now I feel fine as long as I eat when I take Chantix. So thankful for this medication, it very well could have saved my life. I am just weary of the long-term effects of taking Chantix, which is why I will discontinue use after a full month and see how it goes."

ChelseyL May 21, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "Very surprised how well it works. I'm on third week and forget about smoking most days. I loved smoking, glad it's so successful"

nickyt (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I had smoked for nearly 45 years. I was constantly short of breath and congested at night. I couldn't sleep. Went to the doctor. He asked me if I wanted to quit smoking. I said I guess so.He told me about a new medicine that just came out. He said insurance would not pay for it. At that point, I was more than happy to pay out of pocket for the chance to quit. Since quitting I later found out about the side effects of this medication. I did not experience any ill effects from taking Chantix. In fact, I would not drink alcohol while taking it though."

Georgia Boy May 20, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I've smoked for 25 years, and I was ready for a change. I've been smoke free for 5 months and I have more energy now then I've had for a very long time. I would recommend this to anyone"

marine1833 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I am 49 years old and have been a smoker since the age of 17. I smoked a pack a day. I was never successful in stopping smoking more than a couple of days. I started taking Chantix and after a couple of days the cigarettes start to taste terrible, not enjoyable at all. Day 5, I bought what I thought was going to be my last pack of cigarettes. I smoked two out of the pack and there are 18 left in the pack in my bedroom. It is really a miracle drug, I hope they comprehensively tested this thing. Cause it is too good to be true."

BDUBZ3017 (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "My doctor called this a miracle drug and it worked miracles for me. I wish I had known about it years ago. I was a pack a day smoker for 40 years. By week two on chantrix I was down to 1-2 cigs a day and I think that was me hanging on to an old need. Week three, I was a non-smoker. No cravings, no longing. Side effects- I am tiny, 100 pounds, so the full dose was way too strong for me. It ripped up my stomach and caused diarrhea until I cut back the dosage slightly. No depression or mood swings (and this from someone who went through a wicked peri-menopause.) Doctor warned of serious nightmares. I had no dreams at all though did have sleeplessness for 2-3 weeks. Have been smoke free for 3 months. Grateful . Thanks Chantrix!"

islandwalker (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "20 a day for 26 years. Tried e-cigs, patches, gum, even Allen Carr. Champix felt like my last chance and damn, it worked for me! Yes to nausea (even with food) and vivid dreams but no mood swings or irrational behaviour (so far) and I actually have a long history of depression and anxiety so I was really expecting that. I quit smoking on day 13 of the meds. Partly cos you HAVE to make that choice and partly 'cos it was just horrid to smoke. I can't even stand the smell now. A few cravings but easy to get over them. It's only day 18 but I do feel really confident this is it for me now. Champix might not be for everyone but if you really have tried everything else then why not?"

MadgeUK May 17, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I've struggled to quit smoking and I haven't enjoyed anything about smoking for years. It's simply addiction and the "need" to smoke. Two weeks ago I began taking chantix. My plan was to set a quit date after starting. I'm worried that it may not be working for me as I hoped. I still crave a cigarette roughly every hour. I think I've noticed that they are tasting worse, but they've tasted bad before to me. The side effects are starting to bother me some. I caught myself contemplating quitting my job today. This makes me think I may be having some signs of depression. More than anything my body just feels somewhat weak and I've developed sores in my mouth. I'm really hoping this helps me quit smoking because I'm getting desperate."

Donedash May 14, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I took chantix for 1 week and just laid my cigarettes down , unbelievable how easy it was I have been smoke free for 23 days just a little worried after I go off the chantix I was a smoker for 30 years just wish I would have got it sooner my doctor prescribed me the 1 mg 2 xs a day from day 1 and I just get it filled weekly and use my cigarettes money to buy it to make it more affordable it is expensive"

Anonymous May 14, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "This drug has changed my life I went from smoking six years straight to none at all I'm 21 years old and quiting was very hard to do cold turkey but with chantex I was able to completely stop one week after I started want to thank chantex for changing my life"

Dylan bez (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "Started champix on 23rd April, by day 5 I did not like the taste of cigarettes, but persevered (you know how we do)..... My husband smoked too and I hated the smell of his breath. By day 10 I could smell my own breath and have given up on day 12, this is my second day smoke free and it is easier than I thought it would be, of course there are cravings but I am managing them. Side effects I've experienced are slight nausea but it passes quickly, terrible flatulance ! And some very vivid dreams, slight headache today but I think that's the nicotine withdrawal. Definitely worth a go."

Mrs Taff May 5, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "Week three smoke free!!! Ok so I get headaches, feel sick, constipated, crazy dreams but not enough to not be able to go to work and function. I stopped smoking day 9 - haven't smoked for three weeks and its fine - I don't even care - this stuff really works !!!!! Just got to deal with side effects :)"

hutfillvoo (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I am amazed- I have been smoke free for a few years now. While taking chantix I had awesome dreams- seriously awesome very vivid and loved them!!! After a few days of taking the med the taste of a cigarette is terrible - this is how it helps you and the craving goes away. Seriously this is the best thing out there to help you quit. My husband was on it and quit for three months but started back up- he just started it again. He smokes about two packs a day and he will need to continue chantix for a few months. Never stop quitting! I know many people who have quit using Chantix. (Wish there was a version for weight loss!!)"

dqb May 2, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I started smoking the second time around for about 7 years now. I am 43 years old with high blood pressure. Cholesteral is fine. So I talked with my doctor and I am on week two, day three of taking Chantix. I have experienced bouts of nausea. I have been reading the reviews and I am going to take it with milk. I use to smoke at least 10 cigs a day. Today I only had one, tried smoking another one. Nah, it was awful! I'm glad because I don't want to stroke out from high blood pressure. I now have to take blood pressure medicine. I've only had one crazy dream. I do feel tired at times. Cried a few times, but I'm gonna tough it out! Thank you for your reviews and suggestions. I'll keep you posted. Be blessed all!"

Smokefree Smoothwave April 29, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "Never understood why ppl start so after36. yrs of being a non smoker I decided to see if it really had some "therapeutic" value. I found it habit forming in the hand to mouth habit and very addictive so after having difficulty quiting I used Chantix 6 weeks as prescibed. had a stressful period a month or so later smoked a few decided oh no not again and took the other two weeks chantix i had left. have had zero desire to smoke since. zero relapse and 100% satisfaction."

Self administered Smoker experiment (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "Smoked for 30 yrs at 30 a day plus cigars and Champix is a God send. Make sure you want to quit and stick to the program and don't buy smokes anymore. Oh and think of all the extra spending money you will have, from straight away, I have saved heaps since I stopped 1.5 yrs ago and am able to buy things small and large with so much more ease and I feel better and stronger."

jonandlilly (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I just started Chantix yesterday morning. As far as symptoms I had a brief headache when taking it, and nausea for about 10 minutes.. nothing that wasn't tolerable. I was very hesitant with taking the med because I have heard so many horror stories but honestly it isn't that bad so far. I did have pretty vivid dreams last night that were just strange and didn't make much sense but nothing terrifying. I normally smoked anywhere from slightly over half a pack to a pack per day. Yesterday I smoked 6 in total and today so far I have had less than half. I'm already starting to feel some withdrawal symptoms such as sore throat sore tongue slight headache ect. I plan on sticking with this med and will update later in the process."

blr April 24, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "First tried Champix about a year ago, pretty weird and vivid dreams for a couple of nights but after that all OK. Tend to take second tablet at lunch or early afternoon to lessen any impact on insomnia. Only stopped initially for a few days but cut down to only 4 or 5. I had smoked around 20 a day for 38 years after starting when 12 years old. I kept taking Champix for the next year paying full price as figured the cut down was worth it even though still smoking - the Champix did not seem to affect me or my desire around those 4 or 5 (but if I had more I felt pretty crook). Finally stopped 18 days ago and pretty confident that is it. i am back on the second lot of PBS subsidised scripts with about 4 months to go and will see them through."

Nosmoko (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I am new to this, but want to share. I am 50, smoked heavily almost 40 years. have tried to quit many times, but never could go more than a couple days. I took Chantix exactly as prescribed set my quit date (8 days), now I am smoke free for 10 days with no negative side affects. But, I will say, I don't drink or have other forms of addiction. Chantix makes me feel like I never smoked before, on a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 20! I recommend it to anyone who wants to quit!"

Andy stro (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I just started Chantix and am only on day 4, so I am still smoking. I can tell changes already due to the taste. I no longer want to smoke, it has been great. If the rest of the treatment goes to plan I know this will work."

Soon to be father (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "This medicine works extremely well! I tried quitting multiple times in the past. The key to quitting is to really want to in the first place. I was just feeling run down smoking and it became harder to do with the restrictions at my workplace. So I told myself this is it - I either do this and stick with it, or I might as well just smoke for the rest of my life. I've been on Champix for 10 weeks. I only cheated once earlier on - bummed one of my wife's cigarettes - so not worth it. Remember if you do cheat, you're just re-introducing nicotine into your system and having to withdrawal all over again. NOTE: If you have high blood pressure - DO NOT take Champix. My wife took it and had high BP and her BP rose to unsafe level."

CSinIndiana April 12, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "I started Champix on 27th March 2015 by my GP's stop smoking clinic and was advised to keep smoking, with a stop date of 13th April 2015. I wasn't really given any advice about the medicine, other than it may cause bad/vivid dreams. I came home and did some research myself. Days 1,2,3 were just fine - no changes at all. Day 4 I started to not enjoy my smokes so much. Days 7-10 I felt exhausted, headachey, tearful, moody, having horrendously black dreams involving murder and my husband cheating - this led to paranoia that he really was cheating. I stopped them two days ago and still feel very low in mood, withdrawn, tearful and so tired. Please be very aware of the side effects and ask close ones to monitor your moods."

KernowK (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "Great and I've been two years smoke free thank you so much"

tisssy (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015