User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Champix, Chantix

Learn more about Varenicline.

Varenicline Review Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Varenicline to treat Smoking Cessation

Chantix (varenicline): "I took chantix for 2 weeks. The first couple of days were ok, though I felt a little edgy and short tempered. By the 6th day I had a bad case of "no filter". I said whatever I was thinking no matter how rude it happened to be, ( I work at a Hospice House). It just came out. By the 8th day I didn't feel like I was ready to quit but I did really grumpy and argumentative. It just didn't work for me."

Krisna kay July 3, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I'm 67 yrs old, started smoking at 12, smoked from 2 to 3 packs a day until 5 years ago. I started trying to quit then, I got hypnotized, used the patches, used the gum over and over and over, still always had nicotine in my system. Finally I used chantix! It has absolutely changed my life! I am finishing up day 61 with no nicotine in my system! First time in 55 years I have been totally nicotine free! A dream come true for me! people say it don't work, those eithe were not ready to quit or didn't take the medication right! Thank you Chantix!"

Rebl (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "Maybe shouldn't have been writing a review at this point. 1st day taking Chantix, took 1st pill about 2 hours ago, no nausea experienced, positive reaction, I hope. Praying the rest of the journey is as positive as my first pill. Thanks for all the positive input from Chantix users, it made my mission to quit smoking even more certain. Will keep informed!!!"

SKH1954 July 1, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I have been smokefree for 7 years now. I used the first month pack and part of the second month pack. That was all I needed. I never had an urge for a cigarette since. I highly recommend talking to your doctor."

C. W. June 30, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "Great way to quit. I'm on my 5th day now and find myself lighting up and it tastes horrible and know in a few days I will be done! I'm very happy I started this product. Dreams are what I was afraid of but nothing too weird."

Wonderwoman2123 (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "Tried champix about two years ago and although I didn't want to smoke the side effects where to bad and the doctor told me to stop them, however I've since been back to Gp and I'm back on them but I only take 0.5mg twice a day instead of the 1mg twice a day and I've been smoke free so far for almost 3 weeks. They do work but yu have to find your balance like with most medication. If you have tried everything then why not try these I use to smoke 20 a day for almost 30 years."

Benty June 24, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I've been a 1/2 pack a day smoker for 10years, I'm now 27 and decided I was done with smoking! I'm on day 4 of Chantix and today I've felt no urge to NEED to smoke it really was out of habit this morning, so strange not having that feeling of the release when I would finally get a cigarette. I'm sure I could have went without that 5:30am cig, it's 6hours later and I don't have the NEED to have one. I am expericing nausea for a few hours after the AM dose but nothing that isn't tolerable. Also I have Aetna and it was completely covered, $0 out of pocket."

CCSavage June 21, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "I really struggled with this product, yes I quit smoking but I was so nauseas all the time, after taking the evening pill I would have to go to bed due to the debilitation of the nausea. The product worked but I didn't continue onto the 2nd lot of 4 weeks as I couldn't bear the thought of the terrible discomfort. I found that when I stopped taking the Champix I had such bad depression and I really struggled for the first few days after stopping. Yes it makes you stop smoking but for some like me not so good."

Rickles June 17, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I am 35 years old and have been a smoker since I was 13 quitting once due to pregnancy. I was up to a pack and a half of cigarettes a day and one day I just had enough. I talked to my doctor about chantix. I started chantix On April 24,2015 and by day 3 I was down to about 2 cigarettes a day, mostly because they were there not because I wanted them. I lost my best friend on may 10,2015 and on the 18th I smoked my last cigarette that morning. I haven't touched one since and I am only taking one chantix every other day. Chantix really is the miracle drug. I am concerned about the long term affects of this drug,but the only thing I have had is vivid dreams(but not bad), constipation, and the gas is horrible, but I can deal with that."

Notlad35 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I was a 1/2 pack to a pack a day smoker for the past 33 years and thought I would never be able to quit smoking. I have been on Chantix now for three weeks and stopped smoking one week ago today. I have been simply amazed at how easy it has been. I tried cold turkey, the patches, the gum etc. and failed each time I tried to quit using those methods. I smoked for a few days when I started taking the medication but slowed dramatically even after the first day. I picked a 'quit' date that was 2 weeks out from the start of taking the meds and quit one week before that. I have had absolutely NO withdrawal or bad side effects. It's almost like you forget to smoke. I am finally free from being a slave to smoking and happy to be so!"

therealmcoy (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "After taking Chantix for only a week, I was able to stop smoking completely without any horrific withdrawals or anxiety. The very first pill I took made a noticeable difference in the taste of cigarettes - they started to become disgusting, and after awhile I was smoking just because I had them around rather than because I really wanted them. Once I ran out, I just didn't buy anymore and still haven't. It's been almost 16 days now without a cigarette, and I honestly never think about them anymore. The worst side effect is nausea, which made me vomit only once, but after reducing my dosage by half I do not have anymore side effects. I also don't take the medication twice a day. I only take half of a pill at night. It works wonders!"

100%Chill (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "Amazing medication for smoking cessation. Always take with food to avoid the nausea. May need to take earlier in the evening to avoid the crazy dreams that effect your deep sleep. Other than that.....easiest way to quit smoking in the world!!!!! It's a miracle drug and I'm super sensitive to meds. No troubles with Chantix if you know your body and make adjustments for it. I'm also a nurse but not the meds for everyone!!!! Kind. Just have to look at risk/ benefit and decide for yourself if you it's for you. Everyone reacts different to medications. I personally can't take most of them, the side effects are so bad but I don't blame the drug. I'm just not passive about MY health care and my body. Speak up. Take responsibility for your self."

Cyn16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "im on day 22 and am now smoke free. Within 1 week I weaned myself with the help of chantix to appx 5 per day compared to 10-12 daily. Weeks 2-3 I only smoked 4 on a bad day and 2 on a great day. I'm not moody and crabby at all and no physical withdrawal symptoms. Only mental, which I'm overcoming everyday."

Chelly78 June 11, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "I highly recommend this drug " I was a smoker for 24 years . When I think about it ,I am disgusted with myself .well men and women I am No longer a smoker thanks to this incredible drug . On my week 2 had slight nausea ,headache . Week 3 ,incredible ,did not feel like smoking .its like that this drug erased the memorie in my brain that ever smoked . Week 4 ,well ,the thought of cigarettes make me quizy. I forgot what it was like to feel the way I feel today . Healthier ."

Polemidia June 10, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "So far so good, I had been smoking for around 19 years, left smoking last month, its been 25 days, few side effects like excessive sleep, earthquake like feeling, slight irritability in the evenings, rest all is fine. All those old time smokers should try it, the side effects mentioned in lots of google forums are not true and more important...all of them don't occur to one person. Compared to the side effects the benefits are better...."

mayankmalik1977 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I was a smoker for 41 years. Over the years more and more until it became a 3 pack a day habit. I started taking Chantix and after 3 weeks I was smoke free. Smoke free now for 13 days! After taking it for 3 weeks I was still smoking around 15 to 18 cigarettes per day. So I was really scared that it was not going to work for me. On the 22nd day I decided to not smoke for as long as I could that day and I ended up not smoking the whole day. So that was my start to quitting. Each day after that I just did not smoke. It really did not bother me! The first 2 or 3 days that I started taking Chantix I was really sleepy but after 3 days that went away. I take it with food and water and so far have had no side affects."

smoke free me (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "06/08/2015 I will be 42 this August and I have been a smoker since 18 and I have never tried to quit because I know that its not even possible. I smoked 30 a day and I thought I cannot live without it until I tried Chantix. I was smoking the first 7 days while taking chantix. By 3rd day the nicotine was not reaching to my brains and I was getting little frustrated. Well, isn't that what it was supposed to do. Its been a month now and I have not been smoking at all. I thank Pfizer for this drug. Side Effects: Nausea within half hour of taking the pill, but it clears away Made me very hungry especially in the morning Put on 12lbs in 5 days Started having blood in my stool on day 30 and I qui"

Prakash V (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2015

"I stopped smoking last September with the help of Champix. I had tried to stop for many decades with all types of assistance with no success. I developed a cough and my GP prescribed Champix, with the help of an enabler. It is now June and I am sad to say I started smoking again. It began with a need for only one, that's all, I stupidly thought it wouldn't affect me at all. WRONG,,! I found a half empty bottle of Champix and have started on them again. I should really return to my helper but can't bear the thought of admitting what a whimp I am!"

Anonymous June 6, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "I used Champix to quit smoking, and could not be happier with the results. I am one of the lucky ones and only had minimal side effects, namely an upset stomach and occasional dizziness (that may also have been nicotine withdrawal). I started the program and on day 14 actually quit. I did not complete the program but stopped after 1 month as that was sufficient in my case. I have not smoked for 6 years now and would recommend this medicine to anyone who wants to quit. Even though the medicine is effective the most important factor is your own desire to quit, as without that you will start again."

Son of John (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "I'm a pharmacist myself. After hearing of the drug in pharmacology lecture one of my friends decided to try this out, we were pharmacy students back then. Anyways, we couldn't get it in Iraq so we got it from Dubai-UAE. He tried it last year and he quit, it's one year since he last smoked anything. He only took 8 pills of the 0.5mg. I was inspired and did the same, but I finished two weeks counting today. I guess I will finish four weeks treatment and stop. It's totally magical. p.s The quitter should remember, nothing comes easy, there will be times of intense cravings, probably seveer nausea from the pill. But think of the good thing you do to yourself on the long run."

shirazkareem1234 (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "At 31 years of age and a smoker since I was 13, I didn't think there was hope for me. The habit slowly caught up to me and I found myself a pack a day smoker for over the last 10 years. Smoking when I was happy, sad, angry, it was a constant companion for so long and I honestly thought I'd die of COPD on oxygen, begging for that last smoke. Chantix truly changed all of that. It completely eliminated the physical craving, leaving the rest up to me. How bad do I want it? I'm over a week deep. This is longest I've went in 17 years without a smoke. I owe my life to Chantix. I had some initial nausea and wild dreams, irritable...but I'm smoke free. I can beat this. YOU can beat this. Good luck!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I started taking chantixr 3 weeks ago. Its not to bad as far as the side effects as long as you take it with food. I do have some pretty good vivid dreams there not bad at all just vivid. My question is its been 3 weeks should u give up.and try something different?? Ive been reading responses and it seems like it hasn't taken anyone this long... I have been smoking a pack and a half a day of newports for at least 25 years. I really need to quit:("

Tracy needs to quit... June 2, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I have been a pack a day smoker for about 10 years now. I am on day 5 of chantix, so far I've had strange dreams, trouble sleeping, nausea, and mild depression. The only thing it has done for me so far as far as not wanting to smoke is make me very sick to my stomach and a horrible taste. I smoke a little less than normal but hopefully it's just because I'm just starting!!! Everybody please keep your fingers crossed for me!!!"

1357jl June 2, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I was able to quit after 40 years of smoking. Have not smoked since 2008. Only side effect was strange dreams."

Rosiega May 28, 2015

"This product has been effective to cure cravings. However the side-effects of sleeplessness in particular were so severe that I cannot recommend it and in a different setting would amount to nothing short of torture. An absolute living hell. I survived 5 weeks with it. Additionally it made this normally gentle person uncomfortably aggressive. A very bad experience indeed."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2015