User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Champix, Chantix

Learn more about Varenicline.

Varenicline review summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Varenicline to treat Smoking Cessation

Review by LauraKCMO:

Chantix (varenicline): I am 29 years old been smoking for 13-14 years I have two daughters and I knew it was time to quit they shouldn't have to wait on me to play till after I have a cigarette. I did a lot of research which is very scary but I firmly believe everyone reacts different to medication! This medicine is a miracle for me! I quickly cut back to just a couple cigarettes a day in the first week. By day 6 I was done smoking! Havent smoked since. Only side effects I had were constipation but I just went down to only taking 1 pill per day and that corrected its self!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by Smokeless Lou (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Champix (varenicline): Have smoked for 35 years. Never seriously tried to quit until now. Have been on Champix for 10 weeks and haven't smoked for 7 weeks. Have had upset stomach, irritability and headaches. All manageable except now starting to get sores in my mouth. Am going to finish week out on 1 pill a day and hope sores don't get worse and I have butt out for good.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 19, 2014 8:12 PM

Chantix (varenicline): I smoked a pack and a half for 31 years took Chantix for 2 weeks with no side effects have not had a smoke for a year and half and have not wanted one thanks Chantix

November 12, 2014 7:20 PM

Review by Lmcjsl:

Chantix (varenicline): Chantix was terrible for me. Made me so nauseous I could not get out of bed. For me it gave me headaches and made me feel "hungover" all day long. Also I could not sleep more than 2 hours a night. Now it did make me not want to smoke but I can't be under those conditions all day everyday. So after 9 days I'm stopping.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 10, 2014 1:32 PM

Chantix (varenicline): Awesome. No side affects at all. A little stomach ache for 5 minutes after taking pill, but goes away fast. Been smoke free for 3 months. Feel great.

November 5, 2014 9:05 PM

Review by tom 444:

Champix (varenicline): A smoker for 30 years and decided to try Champix after several failed atempts at quiting, three days into course I hated the taste of smoking. That was 14 months ago, take Champix with food to stop the sicky feeling, don't give up give them a chance, they work.

October 29, 2014 4:41 PM

Review by Merton tech:

Chantix (varenicline): Second time trying Chantix. First time help me stop smoking for six months but made me crazy. This time doc recommended taking half dose so far four weeks all good.

October 26, 2014 7:14 PM

Review by msjennifer13 (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): I asked my Dr. 2 years ago to prescribe this and she didn't want to. She put me on Wellbutrin instead. Well it did absolutely nothing for quiting smoking. Went back last week to see about getting Chantix and she did prescribe it. I am simply amazed how this is working! I've been smoking for 30 years and never thought it would be this easy. The only thing I have to do when I start thinking about smoking is to remember why I'm quitting. Which is a lot right now but completely manageable. Wish she would have prescribed this when I asked 2 years ago.

October 23, 2014 2:54 AM

Review by Mandydidit:

Chantix (varenicline): I didn't want to quit smoking but knew I had to. At first I smoked while on the Chantix, but soon I found myself not interested in it. I smoked for 16 years, 1/2 a pack a day, and it worked! I had some side effects, weird dreams and slight depression but made it through and I feel great! It's been 6 months now free of smoking! I recommend Chantix!

October 21, 2014 2:31 PM

Review by Owen M Reppert:

Chantix (varenicline): I started smoking August 28 1983, tried to quit several times. Took Chantix for 3 weeks haven't had the thought or care for a smoke since February 14 2014.

October 20, 2014 8:35 PM

Review by surprised non-smoker (taken for less than 1 month):

Champix (varenicline): Besides a little nausea & jitters for the first week everything went smooth for me. I have smoked heavily for 25 years, with no real intentions on quitting. My health had gone downhill past couple years and after a friend was successful with Champix I thought "why not?" Within 2 weeks I was smoke free (surprisingly). A week later I was off the pill! That easy! Thank you Champix.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2014 6:51 PM

Review by michaela10:

Chantix (varenicline): I've been a smoker for 10 years. I have tried the gum, patches, and the vaporizer ciggs, nothing worked. Nothing worked because I wanted to smoke, I enjoyed it. I'm on day 18 of Chantix and this is my first day without a cigarette. I'm having all the side effects, nausea, vomiting, gas, constipation, dreams, cant sleep, and don't have energy. I wonder if this pill is made to do this so you wont want to smoke? I'm going to be a trooper and finish up my packet of pills, but the side effects are enough to make a person want to quit. I will say it reduces your cravings, and makes a cigarette taste nasty. I'm hoping that all these side effects are worth it in the long run.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 16, 2014 2:48 PM

Review by dawn was:

Chantix (varenicline): Tried it and quit within 2 weeks. That was 6 years ago

October 14, 2014 7:30 PM

Review by Pattioh59:

Chantix (varenicline): I smoked for 41 yrs and tried to quit on my own no luck. I tried the patch ha ha I could have plastered my body in them and no luck. Could not use the gum as I lost 12 teeth in a horse accident but I tried Chantix and only got a little tense a few times but it made it so easy for me. I gave been tobacco free 2 yrs in February. Thank you Chantix.

October 7, 2014 10:25 PM

Review by robsinmd:

Chantix (varenicline): I took Chantix for 11 weeks and quit smoking on week 3. I have smoked off and on for 20 years. Using Chantix was 100 X easier than quitting cold turkey, therefore I'm giving it a high rating, however the side effects of it were horrible. I wasn't truly honest with my doctor of the side effects, which was wrong looking back. I became so depressed and withdrawn and sometimes would lay in the bedroom and just eat! in fact I ate a lot and gained 35 pounds in 12 Weeks. so I stress caution for anyone using it although I will say it does help quit smoking. 2 weeks

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 7, 2014 5:33 PM

Review by beckyloo:

Chantix (varenicline): I smoked sometimes 2 packs of cigarettes a day just depending on what I was doing or who I was around and I started smoking when I was 15yrs old and I quit 4yrs years ago in 2010 .I never thought I would ever be able to quit

September 27, 2014 6:50 PM

Review by al quit:

Chantix (varenicline): 51 years old. This last week marked my 1st year in 36 years as a smoke free year. Still taking Chantix. Scared to stop but no side effects. Ok I felt nauseous for a min or 2 once or twice a week but I did used to stick an ash tray in my mouth so I will pay that price. Anyways if it works for you and you still think you need to take it that's ok. This is what works for me. Just putting it out there.

September 21, 2014 3:03 AM

Review by tracjono (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): I started taking Chantix in August after filling the prescription in late June. I had read so many reviews on mood, behavior, emotional changes I was so afraid to take it. I had to make a decision and finally started the first week of August. The first 2 days I had severe nausea and confusion. I called my doctor they advised to take right after a meal. I did that the next day and had no nausea or confusion. I'm so glad I did not give up on this medicine. To be honest I have had a few cigarettes here and there. I guess after smoking since I was 16 (now 42) it's a hard habit to break. I don't even enjoy smoking at all. I take a couple puffs and the taste is so disgusting in my mouth I put the cigarette out. I'm done smoking . Go for it.

September 16, 2014 9:51 AM

Review by rhondaphil:

Champix (varenicline): I was hesitate at first. I smoked for over 20 years. Within 10 days I didn't want to smoke. And haven't since August 5th 2013. I did gain weight, I would be lying if I didn't tell you. But not as much if I went cold turkey. I know that because my girlfriend went cold turkey and I took Champix. I gained 27 pounds....my girlfriend gained 76 pounds. To date I am working on the weight gained and proud to say a non smoker. I am a non smoker thanks to Champix. Thank you! My children are proud of me and are happy that I quit. Without you I could not have done it. Truth be told. Thank you. Champix saved my life. Thank you!

September 13, 2014 10:35 PM

Review by Deezy12345678 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): I love Chantix! It's amazing. Only side effects I had was a little nauseous and some gas, but only if I didn't eat something or drink water with it, very very mild tiredness, nothing a coffee or coke couldn't resolve quickly, and very wild and vivid dreams almost realistic, but to be honest I really enjoyed them. I have like no desire to smoke whatsoever. Strangest/ coolest thing in the world.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 11, 2014 3:24 PM

Review by dshutt:

Chantix (varenicline): Took Chantix for one month and quit smoking after smoking for 32 years. Had no side effects. stopped smoking on 3rd week an stopped taking Chantix after 4th week. Been smoke free for 3 months. My insurance didn't pay for Chantix but it was worth every penny.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2014 12:46 AM

Review by Karen0923:

Chantix (varenicline): I have been smoke free for 10 weeks now. I have smoked for over 30 years, at least a pack a day, I did not think I would ever kick the habit. Chantix is amazing, after 5 days on the medicine cigarettes were making me feel so sick that I threw them away. I have not slipped up once, I can honestly say I did not miss smoking. I feel so much better, more energy, can smell and taste better. I have had no side effects, no weight gain either, actually a little weight loss probably because I am out walking about more now as I have more stamina. Do not hesitate to try this medicine, it is a lifesaver.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2014 8:17 PM

Review by Lettuce73 (taken for less than 1 month):

Champix (varenicline): I took Champix for the first time approx 4 yrs ago and had absolutely no side effects that I can remember, despite people telling me that when they tried it they could not cope with the nausea, so they couldn't continue with it. I was smoke free for just over 3 yrs. I thought it a miracle esp as I had been smoking 25/30 a day for 44 yrs, ever increasing in amount since age 16(5/10 a day). However, I started smoking again, slowly at first thinking "Well one or two with alcohol and friends won't hurt". Sure enough I was hooked again. Now having taken it for 2nd time, 12 days into Champix, I am tired,have dreadful indigestion constantly, tog with flatulence, headaches, and shaky. Actually threw up yesterday. Will persevere cos I know it works.

August 16, 2014 1:32 PM

Review by epronk (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): Smoked for close to 40 years. Never tried to quit but wife had melanoma and I could not see myself taking her to a cancer waiting room smelling like a cigratte. Took Chantix for the first 3 days while smoking (tasted like straw); took the full dose on a Thursday and by Friday stopped taking Chantix (made me feel weird). Who cares. Haven't smoked in 5 years, have had absolutely no desire to smoke (or take Chantix). Try it. You have nothing to lose.

August 11, 2014 3:59 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): Within in a month I had quit smoking after 47 years. My wife and son was so thankful to the manufactors of Chantix. I have wanted to quit for a long time and just did not have the will power to do it. Thanks to Chantix, the suppport of my family and friends. At 64 I am smoke free and I am going to stay smoke free. If there was some way for me to plead with every smoker out there to get Chantix and give it an honest try to quit, I am pretty sure if they want to quit there will be a 100% success rate.

August 11, 2014 11:36 AM