User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Champix, Chantix

Learn more about Varenicline.

Varenicline review summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Varenicline to treat Smoking Cessation

Review by Karen0923:

Chantix (varenicline): I have been smoke free for 10 weeks now. I have smoked for over 30 years, at least a pack a day, I did not think I would ever kick the habit. Chantix is amazing, after 5 days on the medicine cigarettes were making me feel so sick that I threw them away. I have not slipped up once, I can honestly say I did not miss smoking. I feel so much better, more energy, can smell and taste better. I have had no side effects, no weight gain either, actually a little weight loss probably because I am out walking about more now as I have more stamina. Do not hesitate to try this medicine, it is a lifesaver.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2014 8:17 PM

Review by Lettuce73 (taken for less than 1 month):

Champix (varenicline): I took Champix for the first time approx 4 yrs ago and had absolutely no side effects that I can remember, despite people telling me that when they tried it they could not cope with the nausea, so they couldn't continue with it. I was smoke free for just over 3 yrs. I thought it a miracle esp as I had been smoking 25/30 a day for 44 yrs, ever increasing in amount since age 16(5/10 a day). However, I started smoking again, slowly at first thinking "Well one or two with alcohol and friends won't hurt". Sure enough I was hooked again. Now having taken it for 2nd time, 12 days into Champix, I am tired,have dreadful indigestion constantly, tog with flatulence, headaches, and shaky. Actually threw up yesterday. Will persevere cos I know it works.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 16, 2014 1:32 PM

Review by epronk (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): Smoked for close to 40 years. Never tried to quit but wife had melanoma and I could not see myself taking her to a cancer waiting room smelling like a cigratte. Took Chantix for the first 3 days while smoking (tasted like straw); took the full dose on a Thursday and by Friday stopped taking Chantix (made me feel weird). Who cares. Haven't smoked in 5 years, have had absolutely no desire to smoke (or take Chantix). Try it. You have nothing to lose.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 11, 2014 3:59 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): Within in a month I had quit smoking after 47 years. My wife and son was so thankful to the manufactors of Chantix. I have wanted to quit for a long time and just did not have the will power to do it. Thanks to Chantix, the suppport of my family and friends. At 64 I am smoke free and I am going to stay smoke free. If there was some way for me to plead with every smoker out there to get Chantix and give it an honest try to quit, I am pretty sure if they want to quit there will be a 100% success rate.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 11, 2014 11:36 AM

Review by Guyb (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): I never once in forty years even tried to quit smoking. I recently had a c5 c6 c7 neck fusion. The bones have not healed due to my smoking. My dr advised me to try Chantix. So I took my start week pills. On the eighth day threw them out. I'm one month smoke free. Which I think is a miracle. No side effects at all. I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to quit.

July 13, 2014 8:51 AM

Review by Bumbalina71:

Champix (varenicline): Smoked 25 a day for 28 years and lost count of the number of times I've tried to quit and failed. Now I've been smoke free for 9 months (feel GREAT)! Life on Champix was VERY Tough. Started off with the usual half tablet and things were fine but within a couple of days of being on the full dose the suffering began. Bloated, constipated, angry, vivid, nasty dreams, no sleep, lethargic and so so emotional I burst into tears over nothing. In the end I cut back to half the usual full dose and eventually stopped taking Champix altogether after 6 weeks. Took some time after this for the symptoms listed above to disappear completely but eventually they did.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 4, 2014 8:53 AM

Review by WRSJR (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): After 47 years of smoking, I quit, with the aid of Chantix, on December 1st, 2013. It is now seven months that I have been smoke free and I honestly do not miss it. In the past, I tried pills, gum, e-cigarettes, patches, hypnotism....all without success. I am truly amazed by this product and thankful that it was recommended to me.

June 29, 2014 8:16 PM

Review by misty conner (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): I did Chantix before and I quit for about 3 months found out I had a tumor and started smoking again. Well I took my first Chantix pill again, I am a back to back smoker and I smoked 2 cigs in a row and got nauseous than I went out smoked 2 more and made me nauseous and than I threw up yep I'm done no more smoking for me.

June 29, 2014 6:36 AM

Review by JR1900 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): I began smoking at the tender age of 16. As I got older I smoked about 5 cigarettes per day. I had a routine and smoking was a good part of that routine. It also was my go to when I felt stressed, when I felt upset or if I was in a social setting. I stopped each time I was pregnant but went back after having the baby. I knew I needed to stop but I didn't want to. I liked it. It was when I started to think about my kids being without me that I decided that I needed to be here and healthy for them. I tried to quit 4-5 times before each time not following through, this time I was determined. Chantix helped me quit, its awesome.

June 21, 2014 5:41 PM

Review by KezG (taken for less than 1 month):

Champix (varenicline): As anti smoking job, yes it did the job. But DO NOT drink alcohol while taking these. Nowhere does it say not to do this and I was not made aware of this when prescribed them up until this point I thought that the tablets were amazing. Until I went to a friends party, I remember arriving and that is pretty much it. I suffered what has been called a 'psychotic episode' I was abusive and rude to close friends, relatives and people I have never even met before.All of which is completely out of character for me. I have no recollection of any of the night, all 6 hours of it and am only aware of my behaviour through what others have told me. In the days after I became very depressed and anxious.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 8, 2014 7:21 PM

Review by Nuno (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Champix (varenicline): Champix was very effective to stop me from smoking! After six days I suddenly woke up and for the first time in 30 years I didn't feel like having a smoke. So I didn't and haven't for over three months now. I read many reviews before starting to take it and was kind of dreading the side effects, but decided to take it anyway. Took it for 2.5 months. I only noticed very vivid dreams (not bad nightmares) that even amused me, but made me wake up 2 or 3 times a night, so it was a bit tiring. Besides that for the first two weeks I had trouble remembering words and felt a bit disconnected. It was only after I stopped taking it that I realized I had been very depressed, had 2 car accidents in 2 months (first in 25 years of driving). Worth it!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 31, 2014 10:21 AM

Review by Rohan Heath (taken for less than 1 month):

Champix (varenicline): Fantastic to erase all symptoms of smoking. Only 3 weeks in and yes I have quit and am able to be around any smoker with no wish to smoke at all. But in saying that I can't speak to my partner without having a full blown outburst of rage, I can't sleep, I have vivid nightmares when I do along with breakdowns because of the intense emotions. I get headaches everyday. I can't be in large groups of friends without feeling overwhelmed and anxious. I can't hold conversations with more than one person at one time. I find myself thinking of things that should not be thought of. I was complete opposite beforehand.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 30, 2014 7:00 AM

Review by janmn (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Chantix (varenicline): Chantix worked great for trying to quit smoking, up until the time you stop taking it. That's when I really noticed the depression. That was 3 years ago. Since than I started smoking and have attempted to quit again using chantix, now the depression and suicidal thoughts start after about day 3. I have done this trial about 5 times because I thought maybe the depression came because I was already depressed and it just intensified it, but after 5 times I am 100% convinced it's the medicine. Please be careful when taking this medication. Have someone you trust keep a watchful eye on your moods, sometimes your mood will change gradually and may not be evident the toll the medicine is taking. Watch for sadness, isolation, anger/rage suicide

May 27, 2014 3:14 PM

Review by deniseschulet (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): I quit with Chantix in December and have not picked up since. I have thought about it, but then I smell smoke and I want to throw up. I smoked for almost 40 years.

May 23, 2014 10:39 AM

Review by james talley:

Chantix (varenicline): After 38 years of smoking a pack and a half, I tried Chantix. Now it has been 2 months without a cigarette, I am very happy.

May 20, 2014 2:14 AM

Review by lwood84 (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): I have tried to quit many times and nothing worked. I have been on Chantix for 15 days and today is day 3 that I have not smoked. I smoked anywhere from a 1/2 to a pack a day and I am 29 years old and I have smoked since I was 15. It doesn't even make me want one and I cant believe that before 2 weeks of taking Chantix I have quit. My sister even quit using Chantix and she has been a non- smoker for a couple of years now! YOU CAN DO IT USING CHANTIX!!!!

May 16, 2014 1:31 PM

Review by dmileslangosta (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): I will be 47 in two weeks and have been smoking since I was 14, that's THIRTY-THREE years. I was up to a pack and a half a day. I was super skeptical and a bit leery after reading the bad experiences some people had when using Chantix. I experienced no side effects other than feeling SLIGHTLY nauseated one morning because I had not eaten anything before I took it. I LOST CRAVINGS, no desire for the morning smoke before and with coffee from the second day and the 'cheat week' was much more than I needed. Those two drags off a cigarette I would take every now and then were pretty nasty and I would brush my teeth immediately. It was far easier to quit than I ever imagined. JUST DO IT!

May 8, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by Gypsy Queen:

Champix (varenicline): I felt like I lost 2 months of my life on Champix. Was lucky to get four hours of sleep (after wacko dreams) a night; depressed, lethargic, bloated, and constipation like you would not believe. NOTHING WORKED - for two months I tried everything, even bio-prep (like you have before bowel surgery) or enemas. I was walking around in an absolute fog. But I have to say, Champix worked and I have tried everything over my 28 years smoking. I stopped taking the tablets 3 or 4 weeks ago and am fine, no desire to have a cigarette at all. Best of all it does kill the nicotine monster - I found I was starting to get addicted to the little lozenges (my Happy Pills) when I was on those. Good luck if you are considering taking Champix.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 3, 2014 6:55 PM

Review by TRACYGiRL:

Chantix (varenicline): I started Chantix on 4-17-2014 and since 4-27-14 I have not smoked a cigarette in 5 whole days! Not even a drag. I feel like I have no desire to smoke but there are times where I do crave one and think to myself, I went this long without one or a drag so why ruin it, then I forget about it. I do miss smoking but its better for the long run. I am about to turn 27 and have been smoking for 15yrs. I did experience some constipation and a few times felt nauseous but as long as you eat before and definitely drink as much water as you can. I was hesitant on taking this medication because of the side effects, especially the dreams. I have not had any terrible dreams, I have been dreaming more but I enjoy them, they are very vivid. I recommend Chantix.

May 1, 2014 7:25 PM

Review by Dften (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): There is no doubt in my mind that Chantix made it possible for me to stop smoking. I personally did not suffer any significant side effects. I will say that while the medication reduced the physical cravings almost completely, the emotional aspect of not smoking still existed. There were times I didn't feel life was worth living without smoking because I missed it that much but it was emotional craving. Because of this I still needed 150 percent commitment to quitting.

April 28, 2014 12:07 PM

Review by repeatuser (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): This is my 3rd time taking Chantix. The 1st time I took it for 3 months and quit smoking for 3.5yrs. I experienced the dreams but no other side effects. The 2nd time I took it for 1 month & quit smoking for 6 months. I still had the dreams but had nausea also. This time I've been on it for 4 wks, smoke free for 3wks. I'm having the dreams and had nausea for only the 2&3wk, but in the 2wk I started experiencing more side effects. I started feeling tired lazy bummed and in a bit of a depressive state. In the 3wk I became paranoid and obsessive with racing thoughts. Its hard to focus and now in the 4th wk I question if I'm hallucinating or dreaming. No thoughts of suicide. I quit taking it today & hope to stay smoke free.

April 27, 2014 6:24 PM

Review by KeeNewb:

Champix (varenicline): I smoked for 28 years and I have a very addictive personality. I thought I'd never be able to quit smoking. It took me longer than what is suggested in the info pack for Champix, but now I am smoke free! It is truly a miracle. I have suffered with many of the side effects ranging from vivid dreams, nausea, increased frequency of migraine headaches, acne, eczema, dry skin, tiredness, to increased anxiety and significant weight gain. However, everything that I've had to go through as far as side effects have been worth it to say I'm smoke free and I know it will improve as I go back off of the medication. Good luck to anyone reading this who is still trying to quit. You can do it!!

April 22, 2014 1:15 PM

Review by SeanS (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): Okay, so I've decided to share my experience. I have been on Chantix now for this would be start of day 4. It is irritating, I have been smoking but I'm not getting the effect I normally would. The smoke feels different, tastes different, and I'm starting to feel like they are a waste of time or that I just don't want one once I start one.

April 14, 2014 10:12 AM

Review by Lynn76:

Chantix (varenicline): I have smoked for five years and have tried to quit three times and nothing worked. I have a new grandbaby and decided to the leap and ask for Chantix, I am on day 5 and everytime I try to smoke they taste nasty. I have no side effects. I eat then take it with a full glass of water. This is the best and I am so happy to break the chains of this addiction.

April 13, 2014 6:51 PM

Review by SRX440:

Chantix (varenicline): I had used chewing tobacco for 30 years and wanted to quit, my Doctor prescribed Chantix, one thing he told me to do was to take the second daily dose in the afternoon rather than in the evening to help prevent strange dreams and I never did have any. Make sure you eat something before taking to prevent upset stomach. Chantix did make me feel paranoid and nervous and I did worry more than normal and I couldn't drink while on it, I had one drink after I had started it and the next day I had the worst hangover I had ever had, actually I haven't drank now since I quit Chantix since I no longer have a desire to do so. All in all I feel it is very effective.

April 13, 2014 5:56 AM