Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Champix, Chantix

Learn more about Varenicline.

Varenicline review summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Varenicline to treat Smoking Cessation

Review by dqb:

Chantix (varenicline): I am amazed- I have been smoke free for a few years now. While taking chantix I had awesome dreams- seriously awesome very vivid and loved them!!! After a few days of taking the med the taste of a cigarette is terrible - this is how it helps you and the craving goes away. Seriously this is the best thing out there to help you quit. My husband was on it and quit for three months but started back up- he just started it again. He smokes about two packs a day and he will need to continue chantix for a few months. Never stop quitting! I know many people who have quit using Chantix. (Wish there was a version for weight loss!!)

May 2, 2015 3:35 PM

Review by Smokefree Smoothwave:

Chantix (varenicline): I started smoking the second time around for about 7 years now. I am 43 years old with high blood pressure. Cholesteral is fine. So I talked with my doctor and I am on week two, day three of taking Chantix. I have experienced bouts of nausea. I have been reading the reviews and I am going to take it with milk. I use to smoke at least 10 cigs a day. Today I only had one, tried smoking another one. Nah, it was awful! I'm glad because I don't want to stroke out from high blood pressure. I now have to take blood pressure medicine. I've only had one crazy dream. I do feel tired at times. Cried a few times, but I'm gonna tough it out! Thank you for your reviews and suggestions. I'll keep you posted. Be blessed all!

April 29, 2015 9:30 PM

Review by Self administered Smoker experiment (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): Never understood why ppl start so after36. yrs of being a non smoker I decided to see if it really had some "therapeutic" value. I found it habit forming in the hand to mouth habit and very addictive so after having difficulty quiting I used Chantix 6 weeks as prescibed. had a stressful period a month or so later smoked a few decided oh no not again and took the other two weeks chantix i had left. have had zero desire to smoke since. zero relapse and 100% satisfaction.

April 28, 2015 8:52 PM

Review by jonandlilly (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Champix (varenicline): Smoked for 30 yrs at 30 a day plus cigars and Champix is a God send. Make sure you want to quit and stick to the program and don't buy smokes anymore. Oh and think of all the extra spending money you will have, from straight away, I have saved heaps since I stopped 1.5 yrs ago and am able to buy things small and large with so much more ease and I feel better and stronger.

April 25, 2015 4:23 AM

Review by blr:

Chantix (varenicline): I just started Chantix yesterday morning. As far as symptoms I had a brief headache when taking it, and nausea for about 10 minutes.. nothing that wasn't tolerable. I was very hesitant with taking the med because I have heard so many horror stories but honestly it isn't that bad so far. I did have pretty vivid dreams last night that were just strange and didn't make much sense but nothing terrifying. I normally smoked anywhere from slightly over half a pack to a pack per day. Yesterday I smoked 6 in total and today so far I have had less than half. I'm already starting to feel some withdrawal symptoms such as sore throat sore tongue slight headache ect. I plan on sticking with this med and will update later in the process.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2015 10:06 AM

Review by Nosmoko (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Champix (varenicline): First tried Champix about a year ago, pretty weird and vivid dreams for a couple of nights but after that all OK. Tend to take second tablet at lunch or early afternoon to lessen any impact on insomnia. Only stopped initially for a few days but cut down to only 4 or 5. I had smoked around 20 a day for 38 years after starting when 12 years old. I kept taking Champix for the next year paying full price as figured the cut down was worth it even though still smoking - the Champix did not seem to affect me or my desire around those 4 or 5 (but if I had more I felt pretty crook). Finally stopped 18 days ago and pretty confident that is it. i am back on the second lot of PBS subsidised scripts with about 4 months to go and will see them through.

April 20, 2015 12:02 AM

Review by Andy stro (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): I am new to this, but want to share. I am 50, smoked heavily almost 40 years. have tried to quit many times, but never could go more than a couple days. I took Chantix exactly as prescribed set my quit date (8 days), now I am smoke free for 10 days with no negative side affects. But, I will say, I don't drink or have other forms of addiction. Chantix makes me feel like I never smoked before, on a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 20! I recommend it to anyone who wants to quit!

April 19, 2015 8:36 PM

Review by Soon to be father (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): I just started Chantix and am only on day 4, so I am still smoking. I can tell changes already due to the taste. I no longer want to smoke, it has been great. If the rest of the treatment goes to plan I know this will work.

April 16, 2015 10:17 AM

Review by CSinIndiana:

Champix (varenicline): This medicine works extremely well! I tried quitting multiple times in the past. The key to quitting is to really want to in the first place. I was just feeling run down smoking and it became harder to do with the restrictions at my workplace. So I told myself this is it - I either do this and stick with it, or I might as well just smoke for the rest of my life. I've been on Champix for 10 weeks. I only cheated once earlier on - bummed one of my wife's cigarettes - so not worth it. Remember if you do cheat, you're just re-introducing nicotine into your system and having to withdrawal all over again. NOTE: If you have high blood pressure - DO NOT take Champix. My wife took it and had high BP and her BP rose to unsafe level.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2015 10:55 PM

Review by KernowK (taken for less than 1 month):

Champix (varenicline): I started Champix on 27th March 2015 by my GP's stop smoking clinic and was advised to keep smoking, with a stop date of 13th April 2015. I wasn't really given any advice about the medicine, other than it may cause bad/vivid dreams. I came home and did some research myself. Days 1,2,3 were just fine - no changes at all. Day 4 I started to not enjoy my smokes so much. Days 7-10 I felt exhausted, headachey, tearful, moody, having horrendously black dreams involving murder and my husband cheating - this led to paranoia that he really was cheating. I stopped them two days ago and still feel very low in mood, withdrawn, tearful and so tired. Please be very aware of the side effects and ask close ones to monitor your moods.

April 11, 2015 6:05 AM

Review by tisssy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): Great and I've been two years smoke free thank you so much

April 9, 2015 9:08 AM

Review by my story (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Champix (varenicline): I have been smoking for 15 years, I can still remember the day I started I'm 26 now smoke a pack every 2 - 3 days. A year and a half ago I wanted to quit smoking so I started champix. A week in I started to get little cravings by 3 months I was totally finished smoking no cravings or anything. So I decided to not take the rest of the 3 months I had left, I kept getting the awful nausea all day even if I took it on a full stomach. I figured "I already quit, I don't need the rest". Didn't smoke for 2 months after that. Was smoke free for 5 months, then I started smoking again its been a year I've smoked again. But I started taking it again so hopefully I can hold out. Pretty much what I'm saying is stay on for the full program or its not gonna work.

April 8, 2015 11:00 AM

Review by Mikey1963:

Chantix (varenicline): Using Chantix, I quit after a 40 year habit. Good stuff. A life saver

April 7, 2015 10:11 AM

Review by Stephanie Maes:

Chantix (varenicline): I am a proven success story!!!! I started taking chantix in 2013. I had GREAT success with this product. To this day, I am a NON-SMOKER and very proud of that. But I couldn't have done it without chantix. I had been smoking cigarettes for about 20 yrs and I thought I would die still smoking. At first it made me a little nauseated while taking it but after a couple of weeks the side effects went away. I never had ANY suicidal thoughts. I am just a normal everyday woman and mother. I wanted to quit smoking for myself and my children. I want to be around to see my grandkids grow up. Thank you to Chantix, my dreams will now come true. I feel as thou I owe my life and gratitude to the makers of Chantix. They have given me my life back!!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 6, 2015 2:09 PM

Review by Jules1165 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Champix (varenicline): This tablet has 'ticked' all of the boxes for me as much as it has really helped me quit! YAY!!! I had been smoking for 35 years. Only 6 days in I couldn't stand the taste of a ciggie!! Now I'm into week 6 on the Champix, still not smoking but I feel so ill! Feel sick most of the day every day & for at least half hour after the first morning tablet. I'm sitting growling at everyone to leave me in peace until the intense nausea passes. I have bad wind, I wake constantly throughout the night following some crazy & scarily vivid dreams & I sadly can't remember what it's like to sleep until my alarm goes off! BUT..... I don't smoke & I don't miss it!

April 5, 2015 5:59 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): Fantastic. I quit smoking after over 20 years.

April 2, 2015 10:54 PM

Review by Jessica t:

Chantix (varenicline): It worked amazing. I smoked over a pack a day. I've been smoke free for over a year and half now. I highly recommend it to anyone. My blood pressure has lowered and as well as cholesterol. My teeth are amazing and gums have actually regenerized themselves. Best decision I've ever done.

March 30, 2015 11:14 PM

Review by Bruce in Louisville:

Chantix (varenicline): I was 12 years old when I started smoking and smoked for 31 years and got up to 3 packs a day. The VA facility that I went to told me that they do not cover Chantix but my doctor wrote me a prescription and I was more than happy to pay. Terrified of not having that cigarette, it took me two days before I would take one. The first day I smoked maybe 3 cigs, the second maybe 2 and by the first week I didn't even light up. I didn't seem to have a lot the side affects, but I did have weird dreams and believe it or not bed wetting a couple of times. After the second full week of Chantix I felt like I didn't want to or care to have another cigarette so I went off of it. This July 1st I will be 10 years smoke free. Thank you Chantix!!!!!

March 30, 2015 5:17 PM

Review by Mike O. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Champix (varenicline): 70 days smoke free so far, started taking Champix on 1st of Jan, 2015 - best decision of my life. I've tried other quit-smoking aids (gums, patches, e-cig's) and nothing worked. With Champix it wasn't even an effort to quit - seriously, after about 11 days into treatment it was becoming a drag to even go buy cigarettes let alone smoke them. Regarding adverse effects, in my last 3 weeks of treatment (took Champix for total of 6 weeks) I began experiencing nausea when taking the pills without food - the nausea was rectified when taking the drug with an adequate amount of food though and I experienced no other adverse effects. I smoked for 4 years, up to 2 packs per day. 10/10, Champix saved my lungs and I couldn't be happier!

March 29, 2015 12:35 PM

Review by Dawn.A.:

Chantix (varenicline): I have smoked for 29 yrs. I have never tried to quit because I was afraid of the withdraw. I started chantix 9 days ago, I smoked for the first week .but everyday I smoked a little less then the day before.I felt very proud of myself but I still feared the 8 the day when u are supposed to not smoke at all. I got up didn't smoke ,in the afternoon I tried to smoke a CIG.I put it out after hitting it a couple times and now its 2 in the afternoon the next day and I haven't lit up I feel good.not craving a CIG .at all so far so good. Thank you chantix.

March 24, 2015 4:03 PM

Review by Applejackson (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): I am STUNNED at how well this is working!!! I was a heavy an committed smoker. I have never been able to quit for even one single full day. I am currently on day 13 of taking Chantix. I have had exactly 2 cigarettes in the past 4 days. For the overwhelming majority of the time, I do not think about smoking. There are still moments in the day when triggers happen that make me want to smoke, but they are getting less and less severe all the time. I really am in disbelief. The only side effect that I can think of is that my dreams are a little more vivid and memorable than usual. Some of them lweave me feeling anxious, but they're not what you would call nightmares either. Other than that I am trying to drink lots of water and I think helps.

March 24, 2015 11:09 AM

Review by Doll81:

Chantix (varenicline): I've smoked for almost 20 years and lately, I've started smoking up to a pack per day. I LOVED the vivid and nightly dreams but hated the nausea. I called my doc and asked for Zofran to counteract Chantix. I take it 30 min. prior to taking Chantix. Let me tell you...I have not gotten sick ONCE, since!!!!! SCORE!!! I also LOVE that you just simply lose the urge to want to smoke! You don't have to fight yourself to NOT light up! Totally worth it! The dreams...are a BONUS!!!!!!

March 24, 2015 7:43 AM

Review by Prince fan (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): 2nd time using Chantix. It worked the first and its working this time! And this I will never touch another cigarette!

March 23, 2015 5:04 PM

Review by Gelston:

Champix (varenicline): Got to give it a 10 as it achieves the wanted result, rating it on side effects would be nil which would be unfair and not constructive to a survey. My 3rd attempt on Champix, the 1st two attempts failed due to my own silly fault, being bored and having an overwhelming desire to be naughty. So this time I'm keeping busy and find it a lot easier. Side effects are all well documented and trust me I have thelot. Stools the size of Manchester alternating with a spontaneous tsunami and dreams so vivid I could write a novel each morning, being only a couple of a whole list of effects. Nothing I was not expecting or that can't be endured for the sake of being smoke free after 45 years. Good luck to all on Champix.

March 23, 2015 4:24 AM

Review by wqijno (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I smoked for 10 years and even increased after starting landscaping, being outdoors all day and being able to smoke whenever I want. I got a chest infection and woke up every night unable to breath. I thought the smoking didn't help but God I still loved a smoke. I admit I wasn't even ready to quit but thought I'd give champix a try after I went to the doctor. A few days in and that's where the magic happens. You just smoke less and less and eventually you don't even remember they exist. It really disappoints me when I tell my smoker friends about champix and they say "oh sounds cool" and pretend interested and continue to smoke because they like it too much to give it up. After 1 week you don't miss them. You're a fool not to try champix.

March 20, 2015 7:02 AM