User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Champix, Chantix

Learn more about Varenicline.

Varenicline Review Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Varenicline to treat Smoking Cessation

Chantix (varenicline): "UPDATE: Today marks 90 days I've been smoke free!!! and around a month now I've been off Chantix completely. No desire to smoke. Food taste amazing! I can BREATHE. I haven't gained any weight, but I've joined the gym and started lifting. I feel GREAT. Wouldn't have been possible without Chantix. I weaned myself off of Chantix the last few weeks..made me apprehensive just stopping it cold turkey. Chantix gave me some weird dreams, nausea...nothing too serious. Much better than COPD, emphysema, lung cancer, DEATH from continuing to smoke. If I can quit, YOU can quit. Chantix saved my life. (31 y/o..been a smoker since age 13! Pack-pack and half a day when I decided to quit.)"

.anon. August 31, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "Hi guys. I'm thinking about using Champix to help me stop smoking. When I spoke to my GP about possible side effects he really played them down. After having read all of your experiences I'm really not sure I could handle some of the side effects you mention. The nauseousness for example.I'm hopeless with nausea!! Is it really debilitating?? Any advice you could give me would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance."

Penelope Anne August 28, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "Pack and half a day smoker 30 years. 4 days in and I'm down to half pack already. Wow it kills your craving and makes ciggs tastes nasty. I have no quit day yet but I'll post back so far so good. No side affects maybe short temper but I think thats maybe less nicotine."

tank1713 (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "Been on it for 2 months. Very depressed, no energy, don't care about anything, and so very tired all the time. Nothing new for me, so I will stay on it. Love that I don't need to smoke anymore."

caliber tech 9 August 25, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "Well, I'm on day 5 of no smoking, truly amazed how I have gone from 20 a day for 30 years to nothing, I get the odd craving but sips of water works to banish them, into week 3 of taking tablets and only side effect is vivid dreams. Have tried to quit before, but champix is the best, effortless not even missing my morning fag with my coffee. If ur thinking of taking these tablets I'd say go for it. Time for an update, almost week 3 of no smoking, had lots of cravings but stuck with it and came out ok, water really helps small sips or get a jigsaw to keep the hands busy, even my non smoking husband is impressed, he's heard so many times that I'm going to quit but have failed every time apart from now and a healthier bank account."

Saints1970 August 21, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "Just started today, and know this is going to free me from the ball and chain...I have no cravings since I took the pill and have been a half a pack smoker for far too many years, aprox. 40 !!!. From reading all the side effects most people have and having no cravings right off the bat I am considering staying at 0.5 each day for 12 weeks. I do not like taking any meds but have heard recently this product works. Had set a quit date for next week but that has changed to today!!! Good luck to all, Good Life!!!"

freedomcalls (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I have smoked about 45 years - a pack a day for the past 10 or more. I started Chantix about six weeks ago. I continued to smoke about 10 days, but have not touched nicotine since then. The only side affect I've experienced is vivid dreams, which I am actually enjoying! I still want a cigarette, but can deal with it with mints, etc."

r10o234k32837fgGGG August 18, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "It took me 3 weeks on Chantix before I quit. I was worried thinking it wasn't going to work but I wasn't going to give up. I took it with food and never had any problems. I did feel some strong anxiety for a few days but I didn't blame the chantix for that; I feel it was just part of withdrawl. Within the first 3 weeks I was able to cut down from a pack a day to 2-3 cigarettes a day. After the third week I smoked the last cigarette I had and told myself I was not going to spend money on them anymore. And I haven't had any since. It was hard; I honestly enjoyed smoking; but as each day went by as a non smoker I was more fearful that if I had even a puff I would go back to smoking and all this fight to quit would be wasted."

MBWD (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "I quit smoking on July 6/15. I have now been smoke free for 39 days & counting! I have saved $340 & not smoked 607 cigarettes. Just like some of the others on here I have experienced almost all of the side effects. The vivid dreams are still a nightly occurrence & the nausea, & constipation are experienced daily. I feel that I can get through these side effects knowing that I am no longer hurting myself by smoking. I am so thankful that I am finally rid of the nicotine demon! Thank you Champix!"

Brenz1 August 15, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I've been a half pack a day smoker for 20 yrs. I'm 36 now. I started Chantix a month ago and I smoked my last cigarette about a week in. I didn't even finish the whole cigarette, I didn't feel the desire to. My husband is a smoker, so I was afraid his smoking would tempt me but it didn't at all. The only side effect I experienced was nausea immediately after taking the pill and it lasted for about 30 min. I started taking the pill with food, and no more nausea. I've been sleeping like a baby too, an added bonus! Never had nightmares like others described. If it weren't for Chantix I'd still be smoking. This drug is a life saver!"

m6556m August 15, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I tried Chantix twice, two years ago. The first time, I stopped smoking in week 2, but began smoking again about two months after I stopped taking Chantix. The second time I stopped smoking for nearly 6 months after finishing the prescription. I felt great about that, and was very angry at myself for taking up smoking again. Hate to make excuses, but I was having a really tough time, I lost my job and became very ill (unrelated to smoking). That was two years ago. I am going to try Chantix again. Will ask my doctor for a Rx tomorrow. I did not experience any side effects."

finnudy (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "I smoked for 14 years, tried quitting several times but always went back to cigarettes. At first, I was skeptical about taking champix, the side affects alone are enough to scare anyone off. I researched and researched, read all the positive and negative reviews and thought to myself, the positives definitely out weigh the negatives, I mean anything is better than smoking. I took champix for 60 days and quit about two weeks. I had minor side affects, such as: nausea, sleep disorder and felt spaced out most of the time, all well worth the final outcome...smoke free. I am now smoke free for three months and I couldn't be happier. For those of you thinking to try to it, I would definitely recommend the medication. Stay Strong!"

Davey2207 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "Day 2 on chantix, my urge to smoke has decreased several fold. Smoke all of a sudden start to taste stale and unbearable. I also smoke marijuana so the taste of the green is still there !! Smoked since high school and now I'm 27 I'm half a pack a day kinda person. I did however experience a decrease in energy taking this pill, but however its only been 2 days. Will update in a week."

Amrit Paul August 8, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "They work great I smoked for the first 2 weeks then on the day of week 3 I didn't even feel like one. The problem with the people that say it doesn't work or there is to many side effects is most of them don't do the course properly medical doctors all around the world that use champix for patients would say as it says in the guide lines smoke for the first 2 weeks if people would do that it would work it has to work because the chemical in it is for the part of your brain that craves smoking so all them people out there that say it doesn't work I don't believe them. They just don't want to quit smoking. The side effects: u get a few but I would rather have side effect and not smoke then no side effect and smoke"

Gay kevy (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "To start off with, I'm 22 and have been a smoker since I was about 13. Started off at about half a pack a day, then through out the years ended up smoking a pack a day. I watched my grandma who was really close to me die of emphysema & copd, she had quit on Chantix a tleast 3 times & swore by it. I started taking this medicine on May 10th 2015, started out okay. A week into it, I started having horrible dreams, couldn't sleep, and got sick to my stomach everytime I ate and gave me diarrhea. This did notning for me except give my cigarettes a bad taste. They also had the same affect on my husband. This isn't for everyone & my experience was awful. I still smoke today. I will look into other options eventually. But not this!"

SierraMarieMaul (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I smoked on and off since I was 19. I am now 48. I started Chantix on 7/2/15 and my last cigarette was on 7/8/15. So far so good! I tried Chantix about 6 months ago and kept smoking thinking that I would "miraculously" stop smoking. That's not possible if you keep buying cigarettes! This time, I started off with the 1mg 2x a day...not the "starter pack" and I think that made a difference for me. It worked a lot quicker. It is now only $30 copay on my insurance so I decided to try again and it is working."

chatty_cathy August 5, 2015

"I started Champix June 29th/15 and my stop smoking date was July 13....I actually had my last cigarette on July 9/15 and at that time I was down to 3 a day. I just said NO to the cigarette on July 10/15 and I have been doing fine. The first day on Champix was ok but had ONE livid dream the very first night and none after that. I did get the nausea feeling (sometimes quite strong) but instead of water with my pill I switched to juice and that worked alot better, only because the water was making me nausea. I have not so far as of today Aug 3/15 had any of the BAD symptoms, and has not had a cigarette since July 9. So far no cravings for cigs and actually I eat better and watch when I eat, I have lost taste for alot of junk food ."

survivor58 August 3, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I just started chantix, I have been smoking since I was 12. I am 52 years old, I smoke close to 3 packs a day. I seen my doctor on friday the 23 and she gave me a prescription for chantix. I started that day and I only smoke about little over half a pack which is great. I have no side affects as of yet. I only smoke cause they are there, but it is getting better. Just think all the money I will be saving and not to mention my health. My daughter and grandchildren have been after me to stop not to mention my husband. Pfizer Thank you for making a drug for people to quit smoking.I have not pick a date to stop smoking yet, but will soon. I figure when I am in week two since it is a higher dose it may be easier so I think it will be the next week."

sweet potate August 2, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "On day 5 and same as everyone who's posting, minimal cravings, what I really would like to know is how people feel after they STOP taking this med but it seems people don't bother posting once they either finally quit or not quit."

BrandonMA August 2, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I'm on day 7 of chantix and I have to say, I feel great! Energetic, positive. I'm very sensitive to medication and was a little weary, still am. I make sure to take on full stomach and a full glass of water. Not a single side effect. After 3 days, I've noticed that I'd go several hrs and not smoke, which never happens with me. I smoke at least a pack a day. I find that I have to remind myself to smoke or when I see someone smoking, I think, oh yea, have a cigarette. The cravings are all but gone. It's simply habit now. They even taste bad. I've decided to make my quit day after the dosage doubles. Just to be sure. I don't see it being a problem. Highly recommend. Also, the website has a 'co-pay' system to help with the cost."

Anonymous July 27, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I did not think it would work but let me tell you I'M A BELIEVER!!! IT WORKS !! GET IT TODAY DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR!"

Keegs (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "Love this medication. Gave me the strength to overcome this horrible addiction. It made the act of smoking boring and bland and made it easier to put down cigarettes for good. Best thing I've ever done for myself and family. Other than extreme gas no major side effects. You need to be motivated and have desire to quit for this work. Smoke free since jan 25. Not one puff ever!"

DawnB74 July 24, 2015

"Day 5 and things are going better. Puking, insomnia, bad dreams, loss of appetite, tremors, lack of energy etc. etc. etc. Nasty stuff. Stuck to it and it seems to be leveling out. Still smoking about 5 a day. Will report back after week 2..."

Jim J (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2015

Chantix (varenicline): "I been on Chantix for three weeks and half. I haven't had cirgette or vaporizer 22 days. And no side effects. I really truly recommend Chantix. I was a heavy social smoker."

Franniepannie July 19, 2015

Champix (varenicline): "Nauseous every time I took my tablet and I only had half. I would drink a bottle of water and it would settle. 10days and no more smoking - I stopped taking them and still a non smoker. Highly recommend."

Nicky13 July 18, 2015