User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Champix, Chantix

Learn more about Varenicline.

Varenicline Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Varenicline to treat Smoking Cessation

Chantix (varenicline): "Drug is o.k., does it job, only if patient is more than willing to quite smoking! Pricey! I think more people would use this product if it was not so expensive. No side effects that I knew of."

LaurieHS April 27, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "First off, I quit! I am on day 11 so not 100% self assured it will last but I am 3 days smoke free. I have no cravings to smoke but the habit is still there so If I am around triggers I do tend to want to go for a smoke. I did try one today. I put it out. Made me sick feeling and tasted gross. Didn't even inhale fully. So it is working. Side effect: The nausea is INTENSE!!! Maybe if you eat properly it will be less for you, I don't know. Sleep is horrid. I sleep at max 90minutes at any given time. Most often I sleep in spurts of 30-60minutes. As such I am quite tired. I am on Topamax as well so carbonated drinks like pop are off the table to help me with me day so I feel drugged all day. Odd and rather vivid dreams. Not bad, just odd."

ChrisK1369 (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I have been a smoker for 45 years. I have quit 4-5 times in my life, never lasting more than one year and often sneaking one or two or more during the time I was quit (though a real quit is NOT ONE PUFF EVER). This time, I cut down my smoking for one week on Chantix from one pack a day to up to 5 cigarettes a day... I would try different things during this time....like driving around in car without any cigarettes in it, not smoking after a meal....etc. It helped me recognize my TRIGGERS which were just about everything. At one week on Chantix I quit. I have only been taking it for 3 weeks, but, I can only call it my miracle drug.....as I remain smoke free and the withdrawals LESS than any prior quit."

Mimisayhi (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I am 70 years old and smoked for more than 50 years. Taking chantix helped me to quit. I never thought in a million years that I could quit, my family and I thank you !!!!"

Didibluffs April 24, 2016

"I had had champix a few years ago with no side affects & I still had trouble in quitting smoking by the time the course had finished. This time I had champix by day 3, I was smoking less than half of what I would normally do but was having serious side effects. I had a few serious panic attacks (which lasted 4 hours each), was depressed, suicidal, hypersensitive, irritable & was ready to kill someone (anyone ). I also had dizzy spells & felt very cold. Obviously upon presentation to my doctor, I was advised to cease continuation on this medication. I have no history of mental illness, do not take drugs or drink alcohol. However, champix does not agree with me this time so I will try another way to quit. Please be careful, good luck to you!"

gjaej April 24, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I was nervous to start taking chantix because of the cautions of having Bipolar Depression and ADHD. I am currently taking Lamitcal and Ritalin daily, so I had my concerns, but I figured being smoke free was worth the chance of spiraling mood swings. I had an appointment with my psychiatrist and ask him versus my general doctor to make sure he was ok with it and he thought it was worth the shot. It hasn't been long, but I am happy to say I haven't had a smoke in 2 weeks. I tried once with a coworker, but took 2 drags and lost all desire to continue. Granted I have only been smoking for 5 years, but it was my solace with work. Barely any side effects and I think my bipolar meds helped control some of that."

Kimi43 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I started this treatment July 2012, and used champix as directed for about 8 weeks, by the end I was at one cigerette per day, then I picked up one of the electronic cigarettes because I needed some thing to have bettered my fingers, I used that for one month and that was it, I have not had or wanted a puff almost 4 years, when I used champix, I had no side effects, I feel so much better..... Thanks champix"

Jerrt April 18, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "Nobody mentions how much money they now have in their wallet because they don't have to spend anymore on butts! You're free!"

Ivygreen April 18, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "Chantix is a miracle. It's the best thing to help with quitting smoking. The first week is tough and I had some muscle aches that eventually went away. The dreams are very lucid and real but not bothersome. Some are actually enjoyable. It's a shame my insurance doesn't pay for the medication because it costs $350.00 but it's worth it."

Kristi D April 17, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "So the good bad and ugly! The ugly it gave me a horrible headache the first day... The bad it gave me nasuea one day to the point I couldn't get out of bed.... The good after the 8th day I stopped smoking I told myself I would quit April 15th which I though was just a dream "

Righy April 16, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I'm writing this 8 years after I stopped smoking, Now I'm trying to help my partner quit. Taking the drug was the best thing I ever did. I did get the usual mild side effects, slight nausea etc. But it was more than with it. I HATE cigarettes now with a vengeance. One tip thing I can add that will really help others quitting is.... On the day you decide to stop, read or listen to the Allen Carr easyway to stop smoking book. Its on youtube or you can buy it. It really puts your head in a good place. Debunking long held beliefs about smoking. It made me completely determined never to touch a ciggy ever again! I never have."

SteveO! April 15, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "This medicine is a miracle! I have completed my first months pack and I am proud to say that I have been smoke free for 7 days. It took me 3 weeks to quit and I probably could have sooner but I was hanging on to my bad habit. I didn't really think this medicine would work because I loved my cigarettes and it would take a lot for me to leave them but I am so happy to say that they are gone. I do have to deal with cravings every once in awhile (especially the first few days) but you just have to fight through them by keeping your mind busy with other things and the cravings will pass. The only side effect that I've had from this medicine is difficulty sleeping and racing thoughts. For awhile I was only able to sleep a few hours at a time."

bdaugherty (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I smoked for forty years the last 10 ,2 1/2 packs a day, started chantix feb 1st 2015 , kept smoking will I took it, within a month I was down to two cigs a day and quit March 3rd I had my last cigarette, have not had one for 13 months , had no side effects at all. Was very easy, have a grandson that is 8 and he got me to quit. Would recommend to all tried everything patch, hypnosis, this is the only thing that worked feel good , and saving 6,000 dollars a year. Thank you chantix."

Jay mitrani (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I found that this drug helped extremely well in my battle to quit smokeing. I did suffer from almost every non leathal side effect it can give you aside from sevier depression. I was a 15 year smoker and used the starter pack to quit. I have been two months shy of a year smoke free."

Sean Bailey April 5, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I have been using Chantix for 2 months and it works. Although after the starter pack I started to experience panic attacks so I stopped taking it. I waited a week or so and started the second pack. Now here comes the horrible part. I have lost 50% of my hair due to Chantix. There is no mention of possible hair loss with this medication. Yes I was able to stop smoking but I think I would rather have my hair."

naeinhtown (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "Been on champix now for 3 days and have yet to be bothered by any side effects . I too was no where near motivated to quit But I'm giving it a go for my children . I've been a pack a day for 24 years . I hope this does the trick . All the best everyone ."

Ellie1975 April 3, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I've been reading allot of these posts and thought maybe I could share my experience and what helped me. The stomach pain when I take the pills is really tough to deal with but I found eating a banana really helps. Eat halve the banana, Take the pill than finish the rest. It's the only thing that doesn't make me feel nauseous. As far as the bloating, I've felt so bloated for the past 2 weeks so went and spoke with the pharmacist on what to do and he suggested Align Digestive Care, I took a pill about 4 hours ago and already I feel better. Just thought I would try to help those out having the same symptoms I am. Good Luck everyone, It may seem tough to get through these little road blocks but I know we all have the strength to quit."

Bellaz (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "My experience of champix is, it has slowed my smoking down significantly. So I would have a smoke and I could only have half before it started to taste yuck. I don't mean the extra long cigarettes. This to me is like 4 puffs before it can't have any more. Yesterday was my first day that I quit. I have quit previous but this time I hope it's for good. Champix makes me feel more controlled but I also vomited up my dinner because the nausea was so bad. But other than that I have no problems. The dreams are epic"

YouDee (udy) (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "On June 1, 2009 I began taking Chantix. The only side effect I had were the dreams, but they were't scary, just very vivid. In fact I liked th edreams so much I didn't want to wake up! I started smoking when I was 12 and in 2009 I was 54 years old. I was a smoker for 42 years and a two pack a day smoker for at least 20. Never-the-less, Chantix worked for me and I haven't had a single craving since I stopped taking it. I took it for the full 3 months even though I didn't feel I needed to, I just wanted to make sure I got the full benefit. If I can quite on Chantix, you can too! I wish I'd replaced it right away with healthy habits like exercise, but it took me a while to that. I fell healthier at 61 than I did at 21 which says a lot. Good l"

Swaney March 30, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "Excellent at helping to quit smoking, as long as you are: a) seriously ready to quit; and b) prepared for the pattern changes (i.e. smoking in the car, smoking while on the phone, after meals, etc.) Worked really well for the first 3 to 4 weeks, but then dropped me into a severe depression and a downward spiral in the 4th and 5th weeks. I tapered back and eventually stopped taking it altogether starting in week 6 or so. At week 10 I ended up in the back of a police car on my way to the ER after a serious suicidal episode. PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THIS DRUG! I've suffered from depression (never diagnosed or treated, but we know ourselves, don't we?) my entire life on and off, but this was bad. I'd go cold turkey, all things considered..."

SmokeFree Madison (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I'm 58 and was a pack a day smoker for 15 years. After one day on the pills I stopped smoking. It's too easy. Minor side effects. The second week I went onto half dosage. Because I could. Don't recommend. I'm on 25 days now, 25% dosage. I'll continue for a few weeks, gradually reduce the dosage. Libido up. Feeling strong. I recommend with all my heart."

Lawrencejhb March 26, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I was not feeling the effects until two weeks on chantix but shortly after I started not caring if I smoked a cigarette. It became more of a habit then need. I have been smoking for 13 years and have tried the patches, gum and electronic cigarette nothing worked like this. I have successfully quit and haven't felt the need to smoke even around other smokers."

Fitzmom08 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I am on my third week with Chantix. I usually smoke about half a pack a day. I have tried the gum and patches. I still couldn't quit. I'm 29 and smoked for 9 years. My insurance Covered it. So it's amazing. I am down to 1.5 cigs a day. Benefits are a curved appetite, disgusting taste of cigs, and I feel chill. I suffer from Anxiety and I haven't felt anxious at all. Chantix is gonna allow me to start running again and get back to good health. This is a life saver! A real blessing! It's hard quitting nicotine. I loved smoking!"

Kickcigs (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "Chantix really has worked for me..been smoking since 16 quit off and on. This time I made up my mind so far so good. I have issues spoke with my doctor about it and he said always take your meds....only side effect I have had has been weird crazy stupid dreams. I would recommend"

MIMIxs4 March 24, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I quit after 6 weeks on Chantix. Been smoking 40+ years about 2 packs a day. Smoke free for 8 days now, the longest I have ever gone. I still want a cig from time to time but no uncomfortable cravings at all. No shakes or anything like that. Maybe just habit. No side effects except sleeplessness the first 2 weeks. That's it. I was concerned that drinking would cause me to cave in but have no desire whatsoever when I drink! It's all good and insurance paid for 5 months 100% no copay."

txborn58 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2016