User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Champix, Chantix

Learn more about Varenicline.

Varenicline review summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Varenicline to treat Smoking Cessation

Review by jnaples (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): My 6 year old son said he wanted me to quit smoking for his birthday. I started Chantix and was very surprised with the results. I have been smoking for 23 years. My son's birthday is in two days and I have not smoked in 2 weeks. I don't even miss them! I am proud to tell my son that I'm a quitter! I feel great! I even lost 5 pounds in a week! Thank you I could never have done it without Chantix! "Happy 7th Birthday my wonderful Son."

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2015 9:52 AM

Review by Marcdw:

Champix (varenicline): Smoked for 20 years, tried gums, patches, hypnotised etc. No Joy. Took Champix, and on day 12 just effortlessly stopped. Minor side effects where a bit of muscle tension, a few minutes of nausea each day, and for the early weeks felt a tiny bit vacant in my mind (probably withdrawal) Stopped Champix after 12 weeks, and have now been smoke free for 7 months. Its been really easy, but always be ready to say 'no' whenever the opportunity arises to smoke. just gutted I never did it earlier.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 21, 2015 12:28 PM

Review by navydadsr (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): Had been smoking for over 20 years, kids and wife wanted me to stop. Got my doctor to give me a prescription he gave it to me for 60 days took only two weeks, no side effects no cheating its been 3 years no smoking and I love it.

January 14, 2015 9:54 PM

Review by Kandiselee:

Chantix (varenicline): I would highly recommend this medication for smoking cessation. It was my saving grace to quitting smoking. I had bad dreams the first two nights when I was taking it in the am and in the evening. I switched the 2nd dose to after lunch and the bad dreams stopped. No other side effects. Absolutely the best medication ever to help you quit smoking.

January 11, 2015 4:19 PM

Review by jfrivera:

Chantix (varenicline): Chantix was the best thing that happens to me, took it 3 months and I feel great smoke free after 35 years.

January 9, 2015 5:44 PM

Review by Ragz:

Chantix (varenicline): I'm 43 and smoked since 18. I tried the patch and gum and could not last more than a week. I tried Chantix and it was mind blowing. Nothing really changed but after the first 2 or 3 days of taking it Cigs just tested awful and I didn't get that "cig fix". It got to a point where it was just why bother? I stopped for a month right off the bat. I stopped taking my meds early as I thought I was "cured". Mistake. I didnt really want another cig until I went drinking. Even then the urge was not too much but just made a bad decision while drunk and thought I missed it. I really didnt and got back and finished my supply of Chantix. For me the only side effect were dreams. Very very weird and crazy dreams. It worked for me.

January 7, 2015 10:28 AM

Review by kimberh (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): The best invention since the wheel!! Its magical, its amazing! Chantix actually makes you NOT want to smoke! I wish I did this years ago. Here's a tip for those who got sickly from it. Maybe the prescribed dosage is too much for your system to handle. Try introducing it to your body slower by extending the lower dose from 1 week to 2-3 weeks, or even cut the lower dose in half. Or maybe all you need is half the dose the entire time. And I recommend tapering off Chantix for a couple weeks when you're finished. Everybody is different, so its worth trying what works for you!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2015 11:01 AM

Review by Vicky Chan:

Chantix (varenicline): Smoked for 13 years, tried patches for years and the longest I had done was 1 month. I started the tablets on my 3 week holiday (I did get ill, couldn't sleep properly and was sad) but at the end of the day it worked and I only took 2 weeks worth of the pills before I stopped taking them completely.

January 5, 2015 11:19 AM

Review by king rah:

Champix (varenicline): Best thing out there today built to fight the crave completely. Smoke free for more then a week and it's never been easier

January 4, 2015 10:40 PM

Review by Gkmwb:

Champix (varenicline): Smoked 20 a day for 30 years now onto week 7 of the program and still off the cigarettes. A few cravings but do not last long. Problem is possible side effects, get nausea which I can live with, feel as if I have a constant cold but worst are the aches in the joints anyone getting these? On the upside I am sleeping better than ever. Am cutting down the dose to see if this helps.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 30, 2014 6:14 AM

Review by ItWorkedForMe2 (taken for less than 1 month):

Chantix (varenicline): I smoked for 34 years. Thanks to Chantix I quit seven years ago and haven't had a cigarette since! Before Chantix I had tried to quit 3 times (hypnosis, the patch & gum, and cold turkey) and could never make it more than a week before I started smoking again. I was so physically addicted to cigarettes that I would get violently ill (vomiting & diarrhea) when I tried to quit; but that didn't happen with Chantix. I used Chantix according to the directions and never had any side effects. I did chew a lot of gum when I first quit; and I admit, you never quite get over the association of having a cigarette with coffee or after eating etc. But Chantix works if you want to quit - I could never have quit without it.

December 29, 2014 10:06 PM

Review by Mr. Bogg:

Chantix (varenicline): After smoking 56 years I quit smoking with Chantix.

December 29, 2014 11:25 AM

Review by Mecale:

Chantix (varenicline): Great

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2014 7:28 AM

Review by mamaselli (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): Smoked at least 40 years - 2 packs a day. More if I was having a few beers. It's been 6 years since I've smoked!

December 22, 2014 7:51 PM

Review by WatchT (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): I smoked for 30 years and took Chantix for 3 months. That was 7.5 YEARS ago! It was absolutely the best thing I have ever done for myself. I did experience some stomach discomfort and unusual dreams, but they were well worth the result! I would and do recommend this medication for anyone who wants to finally quit!

December 22, 2014 6:03 PM

Review by Dingo dollar:

Champix (varenicline): Have been smoking for 38 years my cigarette intake had crept up to 15-20. I've never really thought about stopping but had a medical scare and thought right that's it ! Started Champix 7 days ago, I am truly amazed they are magic, I actually stopped smoking on day 5 not even wanting one no cravings. It's as if I have never smoked at all I just can't explain it. I would say the only side effect I've had is constipation. If you have any doubt about this medication don't they actually work. Amazing.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2014 10:55 AM

Review by Juany-bo:

Chantix (varenicline): Been smoking for 10-15yrs, Menthol ones at that. Could not kick habit without some assitance. A friend offered to help me on one condition that I quit or she would want her money back. I took the callange. Only side effects that I experienced was weird dreams. Here I am 1yr 6mnths smoke free, and loving it. Thank you Chantix.

December 20, 2014 9:30 PM

Review by shenanigans74:

Chantix (varenicline): Smoked for 16 years. Was around pack and a half a day if more before Chantix. One year anniversary was in Nov 2014.

December 20, 2014 5:13 PM

Review by Kfolse107:

Chantix (varenicline): Was a 2 pack a day smoker. Took Chantix for about 4 months. Within 3 days I went from 2 packs to about 8 cigarettes a day. Quit smoking completely within the first month. Side effects were minimal, some weird dreams and mild agitation. I actually miss the vivid dreams. I'm at 8 months smoke free now. You do however have to want to quit. My prescription was paid for by a smoking cessation program in my state.

December 17, 2014 10:09 PM

Review by Kerryt6 (taken for less than 1 month):

I live in the UK & started smoking when I was 15. When I had my daughter in 1986 I found it easy being pregnant to quit smoking. I went on to have 3 sons. Whilst pregnant I didn't smoke & having young children around, I didn't smoke much. By the year 2000 I was smoking a pack a day. I successfully quit with patches but stupidly started again. I tried patches again but had an allergic reaction & the doctor made me stop taking them & gave me the inhaler instead. My experience of that is I'd leave it too late to use & I began smoking again. A friend told me about Champix (UK name) but I read reviews & was scared to use it. But last month I started it. I'm now on day 16, age 53, quit on day 12. I truly think it's a wonder pill.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2014 7:07 PM

Review by LauraKCMO:

Chantix (varenicline): I am 29 years old been smoking for 13-14 years I have two daughters and I knew it was time to quit they shouldn't have to wait on me to play till after I have a cigarette. I did a lot of research which is very scary but I firmly believe everyone reacts different to medication! This medicine is a miracle for me! I quickly cut back to just a couple cigarettes a day in the first week. By day 6 I was done smoking! Havent smoked since. Only side effects I had were constipation but I just went down to only taking 1 pill per day and that corrected its self!

December 9, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by Simmmmmmm:

Have smoked for 12 years, I was smoking a 40 pack (Australia) in less than 24 hrs. I went on Champix and after 2 weeks I was a non smoker and no side effects. Normally I'd be clawing at the walls of my house if I didn't have a cigarette for a hour, now my cigarette addiction is comparable to eating chocolate, I'd like some but I can go without. I also have ADHD which makes smoking a lot more pleasurable and a lot more addictive.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2014 12:12 AM

Review by deedeen (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Chantix (varenicline): I was a chain smoker. Many people smoked around me and I was the worst one. Very well known for how bad I was. I never tried to quit before. My nurse gave me a few samples of Chantix and It made me sick but I kept taking it. I knew it was making me want smoking less. It saved my life. I have been smoke free for 7 in a half years. I don't even crave it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 29, 2014 10:59 PM

Review by Smokeless Lou (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Champix (varenicline): Have smoked for 35 years. Never seriously tried to quit until now. Have been on Champix for 10 weeks and haven't smoked for 7 weeks. Have had upset stomach, irritability and headaches. All manageable except now starting to get sores in my mouth. Am going to finish week out on 1 pill a day and hope sores don't get worse and I have butt out for good.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 19, 2014 8:12 PM

Review by trumbull (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Chantix (varenicline): 11/18/14 It has now been 1 month. I would describe week 1 as heck week, no where near the normal fight, and week 2 was easy. Below is what I wrote (Note these reviews also helped me!) I'm 60, smoked for 45 years, stopped cigarettes with Chantix, and then went to cigars about a year later. (Stupid, didn't think I would inhale) I thought it might help others by doing a monthly update. In this case it is day 9, 1 day since my stop date. I feel great, no desire to smoke. A few thoughts, but then I think about the Easy Way To Stop Smoking book. Both Chantix and the book believe the easiest way to stop is to do it nicotine free, meaning no patches, gum etc. Chantix is great for the addiction, and the book for the brainwashing. Good luck to al

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate