User Reviews for Valacyclovir

Also known as: Valtrex

Learn more about Valacyclovir.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 3 reviews 3 medications

Ramsay Hunt Syndrome 1 reviews 10 medications

Cytomegalovirus Infection 1 reviews 4 medications

Summary of Valacyclovir reviews 215 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Valacyclovir

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "So woke up sunday morning with a little blister. Instantly took 4x500mg Valtrex. Unlike the rest of the users on the previous reviews, mine did get bigger and did multiply. It is now Tuesday. It didn't get as big as it would get without the valtrex but still up there and not scabbing yet. So its either I'm not lucky like the rest of the users or they are making it up."

JimmyJames1877 February 2, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Such a great pill! I contracted HSV 2 when I was only 17 by my boyfriend that cheated on me. One week before my highschool graduation. I started taking it only when having outbreaks until shortly after I was having 3-4 a month. I was beyond depressed. My doctor told me about suppressive medicine taking it twice a day (500mg) and ever since then I have been clear of any sign of an outbreak. I'm going on month 5 with no symptoms. Makes me feel myself again! Remember ALWAYS USE PROTECTION!"

Hunter runner (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2016

For Cold Sores: "Had cold sores since childhood, and they were always a pain. Usually they coincided with a recent illness or, most often, the seasons changing. Before, they were guaranteed to last me a week and a half, and always produced the most disgusting results. With these, I take two pills once I get the initial tingling and the beginnings of swelling, then two more twelve hours later. The blister, at its largest, will last maybe a day before immediately starting to recede. By day 2, it's hardly noticable, and usually around day 3 a scab shows up. Keep in mind, that's the WORST case scenario. Sometimes, I can get these pills quickly enough during the tingling phase that I get hardly anything. Absolutely ask your doctor if they'll prescribe these!!"

Jon Doh (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 1, 2016

For Cold Sores: "Considering pretty much nothing has ever worked for me when it comes to stopping cold sores, this is a life saver. If u catch the cold sore in time this pretty much stops it from getting worse when I take 2 grams and 2 grams 12 hours later, than follow up with 1 gram the next day it's already started healing. The only other thing that's every helped is lysine and that's more preventative so I don't get it. Once you have it though this is the best stuff by far. It's pricey though so you better have insurance."

Nick h January 30, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "As soon as you get your first outbreak you need to start taking this immediately. The outbreak will only get worse without it and last for weeks. My first outbreak was heart wrenching. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But once I started taking the medicine my symptoms rapidly improved. I probably get less than one outbreak a year but when I do have one I take this immediately and it knocks it right out."

crazydoglady84 January 21, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I am pregnant and found out I had genital herpes on new years eve from my boyfriend giving me oral sex with a cold sore on his lip.it burned so bad when I went pee I had painful blisters and bumps and awful itching with a nasty discharge and swelling.obgyn gave me valtrex 1gm to take twice a day. On day one the painful swelling I had in my labias went down a lot. By day two the burning was gone and the big blisters went down until they were super small. The itching also got a lot better. Day 3 blisters and bumps scabbed over. It's now day four and all I had left is dried up tiny scabs over where two of the blisters were and they don't hurt at all. Bumps are gone. Basically my vagina looks and feels almost normal again."

much better (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I found out I had herpes simplex type 2 last year and never had a breakout until I got pregnant, my first breakout started about a week ago and my ob just prescribed me valtrex yesterday! I've started my dose and I'm praying it works because this is horrible !!"

Zandersmommy January 7, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was unfortunately diagnosed in February 2015 with HSV-2 when I experienced my first outbreak. It was horrible and devastating. I continued to get outbreaks monthly until I had enough and finally went to my doctor in July of 2015. He put me on 1 gram dose of Valtrex daily and I have not had an outbreak since. This drug is a total life saver. Couldn't be happier with the results."

Military Chick (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I had a terrible out break. My chin felt red and swollen. I had sores and pus really bad. As soon as it was healed I would break out again. This lasted for six months. I had been to my family doctor and several dermatologists, finally I met with a dermatologist who prescribed valtrex. What a life saver. With school starting again Monday I was stressing out . I could feel my chin start to swell and so I decided to get a refill and try it. It worked! Yesterday my chin felt swollen and sore and I was starting to get red bumps under my bottom lip. I took 2 in the afternoon and 2 more when I went to bed and this morning it seems to be gone! No swelling and no red bumps!! Thank you to who ever invented this miracle drug!!"

Vann38 January 2, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Like so many others here, I've had cold sore outbreaks here and there since I was a little kid. It was Always a source of anxiety for me, either when I had one, or just worrying about when the next one was coming. I'm in my 30s now. About 2 years ago, I had my dentist call in a prescription when I had felt one coming on for a few hours ( the bump was forming ) not knowing what would happen. He called it in. I took my first dose within an hour. It never really formed, just stayed a bump for a half day or so and then flattened out and healed quickly. Since then I've always made sure to keep it on hand at home at my office. I've taken it several times since at the first signal and its been all clear. Cannot recommend enough!!"

ArtInAZ December 26, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "It has been a great suppressive medicine for Herpes 2. Would recommend highly. Hoping for a vaccine, but until then this is the next best thing."

TonyT71 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2015

For Herpes Zoster: "I give this a 10 for working. BUT WILL NOT TAKE AGAIN. I took it with a few hours of the first signs of a rash. 3x's a day for 10 days. SIDE EFFECTS NOT WORTH IT. I had nightmares, extreme irritability, felt depressed, nausea and vomiting. it hit hard and fast. felt depressed before I even took my 3rd pill. I thought I'd try to stay with it and it would get better, I got worse. My very quick change in behavior started to affect loved ones. So I stopped taking it. I'd rather be in physical pain than the emotional turmoil I felt. I felt out of control of my own thoughts. last pill was taking at 6 pm. within 24 hours I felt 100 times better and happy and normal."

lavagirl (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "This medicine is absolute magic! I only get a cold sore once a year like clock work. Always in Novemeber when the weather gets cold, and life gets hectic. I get it within the same week every year, I take this medicine as soon as I see it coming on and I get that tingle! Seriously within 1-2 days the cold sore is completely gone, looks a little red that's it can't even tell. Absolutely amazing would recommend to anyone!"

Kitbakes December 17, 2015

For Cold Sores: "Valtrex has worked beautifully for me for many years but my health insurance will only cover the generic now. I've been taking the Mylan product and for the past year have been on the verge of, or have suffered outbreaks monthly. The blisters are all under my lips and run up into my nose. I've seen other posts, somewhat dated, that say Mylan's version doesn't work for them and to try a different generic. I will do that but at the moment, my pharmacy has the different manufacturer's Valcyclovir backordered. (wonder why?) Anyone else had a similar experience"

hateherpes (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 15, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I have been getting cold sores since I was 9 years old, sadly when I was little they didn't know what cold sores were and how contagious they were. Therefore they were spread much more often than today. They are miserable, not only are they very painful, it's hard to eat as well but they are very very embarrassing. People look at you like you have the plaque. I used to suffer for 2 weeks during an outbreak but now I take valtrex at the first sign and if I catch it fast enough I don't even get the cold sore. If not then it's pretty much gone in 3 days. It doesn't get near as big or as painful and it's much easier to hide. I love this medication and can't say enough good things about it. try it you won't be disappointed."

Sexysteelerfan December 10, 2015

For Cold Sores: "I used to have cold sore outbreaks every second month, but sometimes twice in one month. Idid research on the internet and I found 4 options. I have talked to and asked my doctor if he can prescribe me Valacyclovir, he did it with no problem. It helped me to reduce cold sore outbreaks around my mouth ( I think I have had maybe 3-5 outbreaks in last year) and it definitely helped to speed up the healing, under 7 days even faster if you use any topic ointment which helps to heal cold sores. It also helps to stop the blisters to show up, if you take it on time. "

Fifo (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 10, 2015

For Cold Sores: "Ok, I've done everything in my power as a human to prevent and mitigate cold sores. If someone told me that radiation would help, I would have done that, so when my doctor recommended Valtrex, I was on board. He said the next time I get one, to come into the dermatologist office to confirm and then he would prescribe it to me. Naturally, I got one on a Friday and had to resort to the walk in clinic. I got the perscription 1 g/d for 5 days. I then promptly changed it to two 2g dosages for 1 day as per a clinical study. So far, I know it is helping. Blister didn't just go away or anything, but the infection is calming down and I think it will heal much quicker. It is worth it if it at least stops it from spreading."

Already40 December 5, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I contracted genital herpes when I was 16 years old, and I am now 36. I had few out breaks until I turned 21. Then, I began getting an outbreak every 4-6 weeks. This was devastating for me, since my entire adult sexuality was practically defined by the stigma of herpes. I felt unlovable many times. I began taking Valtrex at 23 and it was life changing for me. I had no outbreaks. After 7-8 years of taking the medication I tried to get off of it, but sadly, I suffered chronic outbreaks again. I always thought that when I got older, and perhaps lived a more a balanced lifestyle that I would be able to get off of this medication with only 2-3 outbreaks a year, as that would be manageable to me. This has not been the case, hoping for a cure!"

tiffany 36 December 3, 2015

For Cold Sores: "As others have said, timing as well as pairing it with topical deanvir cream is the most effective way to deal with cold sores. Know and try to avoid triggers, which for me are: Peanuts, other nuts, seeds, sun, hormone changes or prolonged periods of stress. Now that I am older (48) I no longer have a "tingle' phase, which makes it tricky bc I can go through an entire day and not notice anything and then suddenly there is a"spot' a little raised and slightly red above my lip. I immediately take 2g and apply denavir every 2-4 hours. This usually results in halting the development of a full blown blistered sore."

Boteros_mom (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 1, 2015

For Cold Sores: "I started getting fever blister in my late 20's when I was on chemotherapy. They were usually in my nose and I just suffered through. I few years ago I had a huge cold sore on my lip that caused my lip to literally swell to my nose. I went to the doctor and started on Valtrex, absolutely amazing I never get them anymore. It was to late for this horrible episode but now when I feel an out break I start the tablets 2,000mg 2x day. I have recently started feeling a lot of tingling and itching and numbness across the nerve path after is take the medication. I tell my husband it is like the drug is fighting the virus on the nerve has anyone else experienced this weird side effect?"

genadenise November 28, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Wow get maybe 2 or 3 cold sores a year and in my line of work i cant afford to look bad. So i had a very bad coldsore on my upper lip worst ive had my lip swole 2x normal size. Ive never been to a dr for a coldsore before but i was desperate. Was prescribed valtrex and within 2 days this mother of a coldsore is literally dissapearing. Amazing this is the first time i have posted anything online but i felt i had to say how good this drug is! I wont look back no more over the counter crap for me."

jayoz November 26, 2015

For Cold Sores: "I get cold sores about 1-3 times a year. When I get them, they are usually REALLY bad. I will not go out in public because my lip is the size of a grape for a week. I started feeling a tingle on my lip around 1pm yesterday afternoon and I immediately started to panic. I had a final presentation for a college class the next day at 3pm and I did not want to have to do it with my lip the size of a grape. I did not take my first dose (2 pills) of valacyclovir until 6pm. By this time, blisters were already forming and my lip was swollen. I took my second dosage at 6am the next morning. it is currently 10am and my lip already looks so much better. Swelling is down,a small scab has already formed. It is hardly noticeable. This stuff works wonders!"

Anonymous November 24, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Found out I got HSV 2 from someone I thought I could trust and needless to say I got my first out break and thought I was gonna die. Every month around my period I would start getting outbreaks, so I started taking valtrex once a day and haven't gotten one since."

Anonymous November 20, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Suffered from cold sores since a young teen. Not only do I break out from large ones that cover half my lips but I will get them on my cheeks. Without treatment they will last around 9 days. I take valtrex at the first signs. I will take 4 pills and then another 4 12 hours later. I just had a break out and the bump was already big and itchy took my 4 pills before bed and another 4 when I woke up. Bumps were gone with no cabbing by day 2!"

Tiamarie2015 November 1, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Have been taking generic Valtrex manufactured by Mylan 500 mg tablets. Started out 2 a day for 10 days. Have had 3 refills for OB and it,has done absolutely nothing except make the flare up worse. Got off them completely and actually began to see healing. Have been doing some reading regarding this manufactured and many responses indicate the same thing. Understand the generic manufactured by Teva is the closest to the original Valtrex. I will remember that next time. "

Ticktack October 11, 2015