User Reviews for Valacyclovir

Also known as: Valtrex

Learn more about Valacyclovir.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 3 reviews 3 medications

7.9
Cytomegalovirus Infection 1 reviews 4 medications

Summary of Valacyclovir reviews 175 reviews 9.4

Reviews for Valacyclovir

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Ok, I have suffered with cold sores immensely. My Dr prescribed me this medication and it has really helped me. The kicker happened today. I went to refill my prescription and they have raised the price by $100.00!! I almost fell over. This is horrible, I can't afford this every month. What a load of crap. Apparently, they won some lawsuit. Well back to lips full of sores for me I guess."

Tiko22 May 20, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I would say it works pretty good if you catch them in the beginning,if not it could take longer to heal. I have had cold sores for at least 20 years and the best stuff I ever used for them was a product called licrogel in a little white jar which was made from scientific botanicals which I just found out today is out of business. I think the good ole FDA had something to do with it because it was a natural homeopathic product. It soothed instantly and healed fast. It used to come in a 1/2 ounce jar for about 10 bucks but in recent years it was a full ounce jar for like 20-25 dollars...but you could get several outbreaks out of the one ounce jar."

Cleo0399 May 18, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "So you find out you have herpes, now what? I've read so many stories on blogs and different websites about how people disclose the topic to potential partners and their fears. Here's the deal guys, if you use Valtrex and a condom, the chance of you giving the infection to the other person is less than 2% (assuming you aren't having an active outbreak). If a girl/guy has an issue with the fact and can't see you anymore because of it than good! It's better you find out they weren't that into you this way than 6 months and countless dates later. A cure is right around the corner if you follow the updates in the medical community so hang tough and forget the stigma!"

Nobigdeal1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2015

For Cold Sores: "In the past, whenever I would get a fever blister it was awful. The lymph nodes in my neck would swell to the point it was painful to turn my head sideways. The fever blister was always at the corner of my mouth. My entire bottom lip would swell up and the blister itself would be so big and painful that it was difficult to open my mouth wide enough to eat. My doctor gave me a prescription with additional refills for valacyclovir. About a week ago I felt a fever blister starting to form, so I took the valacyclovir as directed and the results have been amazing! The fever blister never got any bigger than it was that very first day. Neither my lip nor my lymph nodes swelled and you can hardly even tell I have a fever blister."

jgirl13 May 8, 2015

For Cold Sores: "After battling a cold on top of a stressful week, I woke up Saturday morning with a tingling spot on my lip. Checked the mirror and saw a little white bump. I ran to the med cabinet, and took the first dose of Valacyclovir. I kept an eye on it throughout the day. It got a little red, but no swelling and no blisters formed. I took the second dose before I went to sleep and woke up the next day and it was a little red spot, that was it. It's now Tuesday and it's almost completely healed. I don't know why I waited so long to use this stuff (been getting cold sores since high school, I'm 27 now). I don't even bother with Abreva anymore."

Cold Sore Sufferer (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "The day you are diagnosed with HSV2 is an incredibly traumatic experience. Everyone's first thought is, "who would want to be with me now?" The social stigma of the virus has always been greater than the reality of it. I, like many of you, struggled with the idea of living with it until I was given Valtrex. It looks like a horse pill, but it suppresses the virus so much that I forget I even have it. I hope there will be a cure in the next 5 years, but until then, Valtrex will be more than sufficient. Hang in there, everyone, it's more common than you think!"

Finally123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Works"

ratass123 April 12, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "This medication is amazing! My doctor prescribed it to because of the anxiety/depression I had from getting my first cold sore. I went to a baseball game (cold and windy), got drunk and the next day I felt a bump on my lip. I took 4 pills (500mg) immediately then another 4 pills 12 hours later. The sore never progressed and after a few hours the bump was gone! You MUST take them at the first sign of the sore for them to work!! There were no sides effects. These pills are expensive but worth keeping 8 of them on you at all times. They helped me. I hope this helps someone!"

JoyfulJane April 11, 2015

For Cold Sores: "Make sure your doctor is prescribing the proper dosage! Until my dermatologist noticed in my history I've been taking less than recommended to control my outbreaks after mentioning my frequent outbreaks I suffer from. She changed my dosage to 2 gm followed by 2gm 12 hours later the difference one additional gram made was life changing! I no longer have to Suppress three to four episodes right in a row! And now have months not days between! Do to frequently being relocated with my husband until now, multiple docs over the past 10 yrs have prescribed too low of doses!"

coldsoarsSuck April 10, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Well yesterday I found out I had genital herpes from oral sex. My boyfriend had a cold sore that I honestly thought didn't matter and I thought it was healed. I noticed symptoms such as itching and burning but I shook it off and thought it was a yeast infection. then the next day swelling happened and I was so sore I couldn't sleep. My gyno perscribed me with Valacyclovir and so far it has been working a little bit, it still burns to go to the bathroom but it's only the first day. It's providing relief though. none of you should feel alone because you definitely aren't. Just remember to stay positive and keep your head up. It sucks but you can do it! Also remember that one little mistake can hurt you real bad."

haleyyyyy April 9, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I've had cold sores since I was a kid and have only recently started taking Valtrex but I have to say, this stuff is a game changer! I usually get a cold sore about once a year and it last any where from a week to two weeks. I'm an entertainer so they always seem to pop up right around a big gig so you can imagine the anguish it creates. I eat healthy and workout regularly so that cuts down on their frequency but they still occasionally pop up. My doctor recently prescribed me the medication and I had completely forgotten about it until I woke up the day before a big gig with a significant bump and serious redness. I immediately took two 1mg tablets and two more later before bed in conjunction with abreva. By morning it was gone!"

Anonymous April 1, 2015

For Cold Sores: "I get cold sores about once I year, I hate having them they're embarrassing and ugly. I felt one coming and I decided to go see the doctor for some cream (thats what I usually do ) this doctor gave me the pills and 3 days later gone. AMAZING PRODUCT"

Hawkinson March 29, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Best cold sore treatment ever! About as close to a cure as you get!"

Jobby (taken for 10 years or more) March 27, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Zoster: "I started taking Valtrex 2 days after the rash appeared, it slowed down the spread of the rash and reduced the pain. 3 days later I was feeling better but the rash took about 10 days to disappear andIi continued feeling mild pain for another week or so."

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr March 20, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "This is what I consider to be a miracle drug. I have had herpes simplex (fever blisters) since I was born and I have tried SO MANY different treatments. My (at the time) new dentist asked me what I took for my fever blisters. I told him, "Abreva." He asked, "Why use something that doesn't work when you could be using something that DOES?" Apparently he and his wife both suffered from the same thing... until they tried what he subsequently prescribed for me, Valtrex. I once had three blisters pop up during my night's sleep (they're sneaky things :(). I awoke with the usual itching and stinging at the site of the blisters and thought it was probably too late, but took Valtrex anyway... POOF! GONE!!!"

debbio (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 7, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I have had cold sores since I have been a child. I would get them about every six weeks. I would treat them as soon as,I felt the the tingle.. A year ago I was getting tests done in preparation for a trip to Germany.. I had a fever blister. Dr prescribed Valtrex.. I took one pill for two days... I have not had another break out in over a year..miracle for me."

oma brenda (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2015

For Cold Sores: "It works!! I am 25 and have been getting cold sores since I was in the 2nd grade. After getting 2 ugly cold sores at once, I was fed up and decided to call my doctor who prescribed me this drug. I only take it when I feel a cold sore coming on (tingling, itchiness). I take one pill, and sometimes to be sure, about 2-3 hours later I'll take another one. Since prescribed I have not once gotten a cold sore! If taken soon enough this drug suppresses the herpes virus therefore preventing a cold sore from forming."

Jen W March 5, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Suffered for years until I found out about this medication online. Take it everyday and reduced outbreaks considerably. Since having kidney stones and being required to drink at least 2.5 litres of liquid, mostly water,and no soda/ coke etc. Have been TOTALLY free! Drink more water and your whole system functions better."

Khatti March 4, 2015

For Cold Sores: "I used to get cold sores QUITE frequently. I would say about once a month. Healing time for me was about two weeks so I would only have about 2 weeks of no cold sores. My previous doctor prescribed me a topical cream that did absolutely NOTHING for me. I was finally prescribed acyclovir by a new doctor and it helped lessen the healing time to about 4 days. Then this same doctor noticing I was still getting cold sores frequently, prescribed me Valtrex. This absolutely has changed my life. After my first outbreak, the cold sore was gone the next day."

Conce (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Valtrex is the only way to go. I have suffered with fever blisters as long as I can remember and they are just miserable. I get them when I run fever, sunburn on my lips, or are really stressed. Woke up with one this morning...I took Valtrex, and it will be gone by nightfall. My son also has problems with fever blisters, but they break out underneath his eye. Since he has been taking Valtrex, he has not had any problems. I also had the Shingles vaccine, which has cut down on my fever blister outbreaks unbelievably. I still get them, but usually as a result of illness. This is the best medication to come out to fight the herpes virus, ever!"

Shoegirl0531 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 19, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Awesome results. I rarely have cold sores. Roughly one every 2-3 years. Never have had ANY relief from various home remedies or OTC solutions. Cold sore forms in the same place on the upper lip just below my mustache which can be confused in the initial stages with an ingrown hair/pimple. Difference being that hair doesn't form on the lips! Ha. Outbreak swells quickly within 2 days to a nickel sized dimension with an actual open sore (yellow/white) 1/3 the size. I took 2 doses of 2mg 12 hours apart after swelling had started. A small yellow outline was already forming under the skin of the lip and I thought I was going to have another 2 week episode. Woke up this morning and the swelling was down and yellow gone! Really amazing!"

52yearOld (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I take Valtrex on a semi-regular basis to help my immune system. For example, I take one per day plus vitamin D and never get a cold sore. I did this for six months so I wouldn't have one at my daughters wedding! They always appear when I am stressed or in the sun. I still take them a few times a week and use an SPF sunscreen everyday which helps a lot. It can be expensive but I will pay anything if it works, forget the over counter stuff."

Barbobaby (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 19, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "So after reading these reviews, I feel a little better about taking Valtrex. I just took my first 500mg dose for HSV1 that has been recurring in my nose over the last 2 years (thank you nose piercer). I read that it has the potential to travel up into my sinuses and in rare cases can cause fatal outbreaks in the brain. I can't tell you the kind of depression I fell into after I read that... It was all I could think about for weeks until I could get in to the doctor. I'm hoping it works as well for me as it seems to for all of you. Fingers crossed."

TrexTaker (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I find remarkable, quantifiable relief within 24 hours when using the 1G pill. It takes a few days for complete return to normal but 99% of symptoms are gone within 24 hours in my otherwise healthy body."

Grateful4Generic January 7, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Nothing better than this for stopping cold sores dead."

Anonymous January 7, 2015