User Reviews for Valacyclovir

Also known as: Valtrex

Learn more about Valacyclovir.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 3 reviews 3 medications

7.9
Cytomegalovirus Infection 1 reviews 4 medications

Summary of Valacyclovir reviews 184 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Valacyclovir

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I've had HSV1 since birth. My whole life suffering from terrible outbreaks. My entire mouth, tounge and cheeks covered it giant cold sores. I would get about 3 single outbreaks a year and every 2 years or so have an out break of at least 5 cold sores at once. High school was hell, I was always trying to make up excuses like " an allergic reaction" or "I fell down" to avoid the accusations of "girl with herpes" finally when I was 18, it was a week before Halloween, and of course giant outbreak!! Finally I went to the doctor and she told me about Valtrex, I had seen it on TV and thought "I don't have genital herpes" and was almost embarrassed to be prescribed it, I took the Drs advice and literally within a couple days it was gone. It works!!"

LL blue jay August 14, 2015

For Cold Sores: "This is the third time that I have gotten a cold sore. The first two times I tried to make it go away on its own. I tried everything from tea tree oil to Abreva. Since my cold sore started with a tingle on Saturday night, I couldn't get to my doctor until Monday morning. By that time I had two cold sores on my lower lip, millimeters apart and my lip was swollen to the size of a grape. He gave me 1 gram valacyclovir, twice a day. By that night I noticed that the first cold sore had a scab and that it shrunk in size. The next morning all of the swelling was gone and the cold sores were The second blister didn't pop yet but it looked like it was getting smaller. Although they say to take this medicine when you first feel the cold sore coming"

Meg129 August 11, 2015

For Cold Sores: "I had a long, scary episode of oral herpes recently, likely caused by oral sex with someone with HSV2 rather than HSV1. I began taking up to 4 500gm Valtrex a day from the moment I felt tingling across my lower lip and continued for quite a long time (never feeling side effects). After 3 weeks of tingling, a couple of cold sore bumps began to appear. This was the peak and they never looked like crusting over, instead looking like how some classic outbreaks might look after just a few hours. When it felt like the virus was dormant I reduced to 1 a day & using topical Ibuprofen; it took another 3-4 weeks for the inflammation/bumps to totally clear. I think the Valtrex dramatically slowed & prevented what could have been a horrific outbreak."

Ddd1981 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I have gotten cold sores as long as I can remember. Miserable ones that would cover my chin, after starting at the corner of my mouth. They would happen 2 to 4 times a years last for 4 to 8 weeks. Finally 2 years ago I was prescribed Valtrex, and I have had 2 breakouts in 2 years. I take them everyday, 1 a day, unless I am feeling a breakout coming on. Then I will double up on the pills. Truth be told I have been lazy and didn't go back to the dr for a new script. when mine ran out. So right now I have been over a week without my Valtrex and having severe breakouts in places I didn't even know you could get them. Apparently my body goes into shock when I stop taking it. Will never stop again. VALTREX ROCKS!"

Krbbvb (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 5, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "When I first contracted genital H (24yrs ago), I was devastated. Suffered continuous outbreaks for several months until seeking medical advice. Acyclovir gave me back my life, severely reduced the occurrences and severity to a manageable level. Valtrex came along and I now take it instead of Acyclovir (no noticeable difference other than having to take fewer tablets). I have tried suppressive and intermittent and both have worked for me. I tend to take the medicine when I have an occurrence as I don't want the virus to become resistant to it. These drugs are a life saver. For what its worth.... I have found that chocolate will trigger an outbreak for me. I've virtually given it up and reckon its a small price to pay for no symptoms. !"

Andi64 July 29, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I'm a 40 year old UPS guy. I started getting cold sores 3 years ago. They used to happen only when I was working out in the cold but now in the middle of July. They always last 2 weeks. I've tried Abreva, Lycine, campo-phenique, ice, limiting argonine-rich foods, nothing worked. Today, day 3 of abreva and campo-phenique failing, I was full blown, huge pustules on my lip looking like they were about to explode so went to my doctor. I took 1GM of valtrex this AM and within 45 minutes it started feeling different and my lip started tingling. By 5PM it was softer/less pressure. I took another 1GM at 7PM. I just looked in the mirror at 10PM and the pustules are much smaller and never popped. So far so good!"

Plagued (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2015

For Cold Sores: "I am 49 years old, I have had cool sore break-outs since the age of 12. I am here to tell u Valtrex is a life saver for me. It has taught me to be prepared for the worst in me. I am a very active person for the most part, but when I start to feel over anxious, too hot or out in the sun too long I tend to feel the sting on my upper right lip or right nostril and before u know it the blister has started, just like superman to the rescue "valacyclovir is applied immediately and my life goes on. By the way, I refuse to pay more when this generic brand has the exact same ingredient as the brand name. I have to use both the external and internal. They both work right away. Thanks to Valtrex and Doctors who prescribe it."

VALRESCUE (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 12, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was notified last year January 2014 that I had hsv2. I went into such a deep depression that I truly wanted to give up. I begged for second test to confirm it. The doctor refused to test me again and said that she was positive that the test was positive and showed me the papers. I still was in denial for quite some time. The doctor gave me Valtrex 500 milligrams and told me to take one everyday. Needless to say I took it for 30 days and stopped. and never had an outbreak until just a few days ago which confirmed that I was positive. I immediately began taking my medicine. Although it can be very uncomfortable while at work because I do sit down and gets in and out of trucks constantly. This medicine has truly kept my outbreak under control "

anonymous. .. June 3, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I love this medicine!!! I've had cold sores since i was a kid and none of the over the counter stuff ever worked for me. I take it as soon as i feel that tingle and it's usually gone in 2 days. I recently had a bad illness and broke out with 5 blisters after a night of 103 fever. I took two pills in the morning and at night and all but one blister is gone! I would have been so miserable if i didn't have this miracle to take!"

mbg78 May 28, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Ok, I have suffered with cold sores immensely. My Dr prescribed me this medication and it has really helped me. The kicker happened today. I went to refill my prescription and they have raised the price by $100.00!! I almost fell over. This is horrible, I can't afford this every month. What a load of crap. Apparently, they won some lawsuit. Well back to lips full of sores for me I guess."

Tiko22 May 20, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I would say it works pretty good if you catch them in the beginning,if not it could take longer to heal. I have had cold sores for at least 20 years and the best stuff I ever used for them was a product called licrogel in a little white jar which was made from scientific botanicals which I just found out today is out of business. I think the good ole FDA had something to do with it because it was a natural homeopathic product. It soothed instantly and healed fast. It used to come in a 1/2 ounce jar for about 10 bucks but in recent years it was a full ounce jar for like 20-25 dollars...but you could get several outbreaks out of the one ounce jar."

Cleo0399 May 18, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "So you find out you have herpes, now what? I've read so many stories on blogs and different websites about how people disclose the topic to potential partners and their fears. Here's the deal guys, if you use Valtrex and a condom, the chance of you giving the infection to the other person is less than 2% (assuming you aren't having an active outbreak). If a girl/guy has an issue with the fact and can't see you anymore because of it than good! It's better you find out they weren't that into you this way than 6 months and countless dates later. A cure is right around the corner if you follow the updates in the medical community so hang tough and forget the stigma!"

Nobigdeal1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2015

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Cold Sores: "In the past, whenever I would get a fever blister it was awful. The lymph nodes in my neck would swell to the point it was painful to turn my head sideways. The fever blister was always at the corner of my mouth. My entire bottom lip would swell up and the blister itself would be so big and painful that it was difficult to open my mouth wide enough to eat. My doctor gave me a prescription with additional refills for valacyclovir. About a week ago I felt a fever blister starting to form, so I took the valacyclovir as directed and the results have been amazing! The fever blister never got any bigger than it was that very first day. Neither my lip nor my lymph nodes swelled and you can hardly even tell I have a fever blister."

jgirl13 May 8, 2015

For Cold Sores: "After battling a cold on top of a stressful week, I woke up Saturday morning with a tingling spot on my lip. Checked the mirror and saw a little white bump. I ran to the med cabinet, and took the first dose of Valacyclovir. I kept an eye on it throughout the day. It got a little red, but no swelling and no blisters formed. I took the second dose before I went to sleep and woke up the next day and it was a little red spot, that was it. It's now Tuesday and it's almost completely healed. I don't know why I waited so long to use this stuff (been getting cold sores since high school, I'm 27 now). I don't even bother with Abreva anymore."

Cold Sore Sufferer (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "The day you are diagnosed with HSV2 is an incredibly traumatic experience. Everyone's first thought is, "who would want to be with me now?" The social stigma of the virus has always been greater than the reality of it. I, like many of you, struggled with the idea of living with it until I was given Valtrex. It looks like a horse pill, but it suppresses the virus so much that I forget I even have it. I hope there will be a cure in the next 5 years, but until then, Valtrex will be more than sufficient. Hang in there, everyone, it's more common than you think!"

Finally123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2015

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Works"

ratass123 April 12, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "This medication is amazing! My doctor prescribed it to because of the anxiety/depression I had from getting my first cold sore. I went to a baseball game (cold and windy), got drunk and the next day I felt a bump on my lip. I took 4 pills (500mg) immediately then another 4 pills 12 hours later. The sore never progressed and after a few hours the bump was gone! You MUST take them at the first sign of the sore for them to work!! There were no sides effects. These pills are expensive but worth keeping 8 of them on you at all times. They helped me. I hope this helps someone!"

JoyfulJane April 11, 2015

For Cold Sores: "Make sure your doctor is prescribing the proper dosage! Until my dermatologist noticed in my history I've been taking less than recommended to control my outbreaks after mentioning my frequent outbreaks I suffer from. She changed my dosage to 2 gm followed by 2gm 12 hours later the difference one additional gram made was life changing! I no longer have to Suppress three to four episodes right in a row! And now have months not days between! Do to frequently being relocated with my husband until now, multiple docs over the past 10 yrs have prescribed too low of doses!"

coldsoarsSuck April 10, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Well yesterday I found out I had genital herpes from oral sex. My boyfriend had a cold sore that I honestly thought didn't matter and I thought it was healed. I noticed symptoms such as itching and burning but I shook it off and thought it was a yeast infection. then the next day swelling happened and I was so sore I couldn't sleep. My gyno perscribed me with Valacyclovir and so far it has been working a little bit, it still burns to go to the bathroom but it's only the first day. It's providing relief though. none of you should feel alone because you definitely aren't. Just remember to stay positive and keep your head up. It sucks but you can do it! Also remember that one little mistake can hurt you real bad."

haleyyyyy April 9, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I've had cold sores since I was a kid and have only recently started taking Valtrex but I have to say, this stuff is a game changer! I usually get a cold sore about once a year and it last any where from a week to two weeks. I'm an entertainer so they always seem to pop up right around a big gig so you can imagine the anguish it creates. I eat healthy and workout regularly so that cuts down on their frequency but they still occasionally pop up. My doctor recently prescribed me the medication and I had completely forgotten about it until I woke up the day before a big gig with a significant bump and serious redness. I immediately took two 1mg tablets and two more later before bed in conjunction with abreva. By morning it was gone!"

Anonymous April 1, 2015

For Cold Sores: "I get cold sores about once I year, I hate having them they're embarrassing and ugly. I felt one coming and I decided to go see the doctor for some cream (thats what I usually do ) this doctor gave me the pills and 3 days later gone. AMAZING PRODUCT"

Hawkinson March 29, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Best cold sore treatment ever! About as close to a cure as you get!"

Jobby (taken for 10 years or more) March 27, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Zoster: "I started taking Valtrex 2 days after the rash appeared, it slowed down the spread of the rash and reduced the pain. 3 days later I was feeling better but the rash took about 10 days to disappear andIi continued feeling mild pain for another week or so."

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr March 20, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "This is what I consider to be a miracle drug. I have had herpes simplex (fever blisters) since I was born and I have tried SO MANY different treatments. My (at the time) new dentist asked me what I took for my fever blisters. I told him, "Abreva." He asked, "Why use something that doesn't work when you could be using something that DOES?" Apparently he and his wife both suffered from the same thing... until they tried what he subsequently prescribed for me, Valtrex. I once had three blisters pop up during my night's sleep (they're sneaky things :(). I awoke with the usual itching and stinging at the site of the blisters and thought it was probably too late, but took Valtrex anyway... POOF! GONE!!!"

debbio (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 7, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I have had cold sores since I have been a child. I would get them about every six weeks. I would treat them as soon as,I felt the the tingle.. A year ago I was getting tests done in preparation for a trip to Germany.. I had a fever blister. Dr prescribed Valtrex.. I took one pill for two days... I have not had another break out in over a year..miracle for me."

oma brenda (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2015