User Reviews for Valacyclovir

Also known as: Valtrex

Learn more about Valacyclovir.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 3 reviews 3 medications

Cytomegalovirus Infection 1 reviews 4 medications

Summary of Valacyclovir reviews 137 reviews 9.3

Reviews for Valacyclovir

Review by shashway:

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Varicella-Zoster: Its awesome .... Lessened my problems upto 70℅

December 9, 2014 1:04 PM

Review by Khen689:

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: I can't say enough good things about it. The difference between my fever blisters with and without the pill is truly like night and day. I started taking 1 pill as soon as I see a bump or feel tingling and the symptoms are reduced by >60%. Definitely worth going to a doctor to get a prescription!

November 7, 2014 10:44 PM

Review by Wendi_MT:

For Cold Sores: This stuff makes a huge difference in the duration and pain of cold sores. My dentist prescribes it for me because without it, I get a cold sore every darn time I go to the dentist. For those who have problems with frequent outbreaks, do some research on things you shouldn't eat. Nuts and seeds are huge cold sore triggers because of the arginine in them. Other things that will trigger and outbreak for me: too much direct sun on my face and too much exposure to extreme cold on my face. If I'm really careful about avoiding the things that cause me problems, I can prevent them but it's nice to have the valacyclovir for those times when I don't get it right.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 31, 2014 12:18 PM

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: Fantastic

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2014 5:45 AM

Review by grandmama5 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Herpes Zoster: Getting Shingles at 54 was not something I expected! Went to the Dr. within 48 hrs. of the appearance of the rash. No one was more shocked than I was when after 48 hrs. on this medication my rash began to dry up and fade away! Now its been 5 days on this medication (1 gram 3x day) and I can honestly say I am 90% back to myself. Shingles truly is a terrible illness but this is an awesome medicine. Side effects have been minimal.

October 25, 2014 12:06 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: I was diagnosed with HSV1 about 6 months ago and finally went to my doctor asking for options for help about 4 months ago. Since being prescribed this medicine my life has been incredible! I was so depressed after being diagnosed but being on this medicine has given me my old life back. I haven't had an outbreak since and experience no side effects.

October 22, 2014 1:11 AM

Review by Candice Walter:

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: This medicine is a miracle. Sore clears up within 3 days and faster when I take as soon as I see on-set of sore. I take 2-500mg on first dose and one as directed. Do not hesitate having these on hand in case a flare up occurs. Unbelievable and I pass this info on to others I know and they are so grateful.

October 16, 2014 11:00 PM

Review by jujujuju:

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: It certainly keeps it from being worse but still doesn't nip it totally in the bud no matter how soon you take it. I'm grateful this last bout didn't end up on the skin, but even though I took it within minutes of feeling just the tingling, it still sprouted. Could have been worse I guess. I am thankful I had it in stock.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2014 1:57 AM

Review by JetBlackSteel (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: I have been getting cold sores since I was in the 6th grade. Unfortunately I am a special case, I have NEVER had one on my lip! They always appear either on my chin or my nose. Its awful, especially on the nose. I am giving this a 7 due to the fact its no longer reducing the size of my breakouts anymore even with the topical cream. It only seems to reduce the healing period. Which isn't that great when I get one on my nose (yes you guessed it, its the tip) and I end up looking like a clown. I even got three breakouts in just this past March! Its definitely not working like it used to and I am only 19 so I am now fearful for the years to come. I'm hoping it was just a little expired and will be going back to the doctor for a refill.

July 29, 2014 6:26 AM

Review by 2it4me:

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: I've been getting cold sores since I was 10yrs old and they get really bad. As I've gotten older they only occur once a year if I'm really stressed, not getting enough rest and not eating right. Talk about embarrasing it spreads across my entire upper lip then the crust and scab process is awful and unsightly mines usually last about 3 weeks..Sucks in a major way!! Went to the MD in the middle of this out break because is was spreading and I was totally depressed she prescribed Valtrex every 8 hours for seven days I've taken two so far and the blisters stopped forming wish I would have taken it at the first sign. I'm impressed with this medication I will be monitoring to see if it helps with healing and pain.

July 25, 2014 11:40 AM

Review by Chickapowpiw (taken for less than 1 month):

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: This stuff works better than anything else. Don't waste your time with all the OTC stuff. After I started Valtrex my cold sore was gone in two days

July 21, 2014 6:11 PM

Review by Tim1122:

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: Got this prescription about 2 months ago, just in case I felt a cold sore coming on. We'll this morning I finally got to try it, and as far as I can tell it seems to be working as well as past reviewers have posted. I felt it getting itchy for a couple hours (I always have an itchy nose so I just monitored it). I went to the bathroom at work about 2.5 hrs after feeling initial itching and noticed it turning red.. (my cold sores come around the lower part of my nostril and partially inside my nose). I took 2 pills and after about 30 mins the itching and slight throbbing went away. Its now been 11 hrs since I took the first 2 pills and the redness does seem to be retreating (but time will tell, different lighting in my home than my work).

June 4, 2014 6:54 PM

Review by Badluckchuck (taken for less than 1 month):

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: I was diagnosed with Herpes Simplex Virus back in November 2013. My first OB happened a few days ago. Only one blister around my genital area. My Dr prescribed Valacyclovir 500mg 1 tablet twice daily for 5 days and acyclovir 7x daily for 7 days. As soon as I started taking the medicines the blister decreased in size and there is little to no pain. I'm going to see my dr again this Friday so he can prescribe a suppression regime. Life saver medicine with the possibility of suppressing the spread of the virus. Little to no side effects, mostly dizzy and tired. Worth it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 21, 2014 10:31 AM

Review by Fast Tommy:

For Cold Sores: This is seriously good. I used to get an outbreak at least every 4 months. Not any more! As soon as I feel the tell tale signs start I take one tablet and it stops it in its tracks. This is a life changer. I only have these as my girl got 21 prescribed for a herpetic ulcer in her eye which turned out to be something else. I don't think doctors will prescribe them in the UK for cold sore.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2014 2:57 PM

Review by RM2014:

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: I had eczema on the skin accompanied by fever and joint pain for the first time last year and was diagnosed HSV2 by IgG positive test. I took Valtrex for two and a half month and the following IgG test was negative. I repeated the test three month later, still IgG negative. My doctor does not know why. I would suggest those that have been taking Valtrex for a longer time (at least some months) right from the first outbreak to take a new IgG test. Maybe the Valtrex period of some months assists in the body reducing the number of virus through repeated life cycles such that it does not cause IgG antibodies. I like to add that the HSV1, which I had since long, gave positive IgG response in all three IgG tests.

April 21, 2014 10:02 AM

Review by Kank (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cold Sores: Took it within 35 minutes of feeling that tingling sensation from cold sores arrival and the cold sore never came out, amazing product haven't had a cold sore since (1 yr) and now that I am feeling a cold sore come back I am at the doctor now getting a re-fill prescription! Get this product!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2014 2:35 PM

Review by hsvguy:

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: Valtrex is truly the only cold sore medication that will act fast and diminish your pain and blisters within days You will start feeling relief in hours. No other cold sore medication can compete. The only downside is you have to get a prescription for it. Depending on your insurance it could be fair to pricey. If you are like me and suffer from HSV 1 & 2 ask your doctor for 30-60 tablets. Most doctors will only prescribe the recommended dosage for treatment. (5 tablets) with 1 refill. It's such a pain having to go back to doctors when you have a simple outbreak. This will ensure a good supply for whenever you might need it. Always works FASTEST when taken at first sign of sore.

March 11, 2014 3:56 AM

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: I've had HSV1 ever since I was 2. I had an outbreak then and again when I was 9 or 10. I'd forgotten that I even had the virus until a week ago. I got a new lip piercing and 3 days into the healing, my lip blistered. It had been 25 years since my last cold sore but I remembered what those blisters meant. I wasn't able to get to the doctor until two days later. By then, the blisters had broken open and were all crusted over. I took 2 of the Valtrex as soon as I got them and another 2, 12 hours later. Within a few hours the pain started going away. The terrible burning was gone. It's been 2 days since my last dose and my cold sore is in it's final healing stage. With the little scabs. My lip is flat again & the only pain is from the piercing.

February 24, 2014 1:12 PM

Review by Regina222:

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: I was diagnosed with HSV2, three years ago. I've never had an outbreak but my gyno prescribed Valtrex as suppressive therapy.

February 10, 2014 3:57 AM

Review by Ziggystar:

For Cold Sores: This is practically a miracle product. I've been getting cold sores since I was about 2 years old. My whole life, whenever I would get a cold sore, it would be a 10 day ordeal. They were embarrassing and painful. Now, the second I know that there is a cold sore coming I take the medication and the sore will stop in its tracks and scab up 24 hours later. It is the best thing for any cold sore sufferer. Don't bother with Abreva or any of those ointments at the Pharmacy.

February 6, 2014 12:37 AM

Review by Liz0413:

For Cold Sores: Seriously this product will change your life. I'm 22 & have had cold sores since I was little, I get them when I'm sick but now I have been getting them whenever I'm stressed out. Just this past year alone I have gotten one almost every other month & this month I've already gotten 2. It's really frustrating, & embarrassing. It takes 2 weeks to heal and lately I have been left with big scars around my lips which are really noticeable. I happened to be at my OBGYN's office & I mentioned it to him, he prescribed me this medication & in just 2 days (2g every 12 hrs) my sore has already completely scabbed, and healed. Now I take 1 500 mg every day to help prevent any from coming, my doctor said it will cut down my sores from 5-6 a year to 1.

January 23, 2014 7:38 PM

Review by La Divo:

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: I got cold sores since I was kid. I'm 24 yrs old now and get them about 4 times a year due to stress or if I get sick or something. I got prescribed Valtrex 3 years ago and it has done wonders. Once I feel the tingling I would take a pill and literally the cold sore would stop in its tracks. Even if it starts to show a little such as a deep red I just take a Valtrex and it would stop and then I would get some make up and cover the redness and you wouldn't even be able to tell.

January 16, 2014 1:57 PM

Review by Understanding1:

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: I have gotten cold sores/fever blisters since I was a young boy. I too have tried it all. I find that taking a small amount of Lysine and eating a Lysine rich diet, low in arginine help to prevent them, but they inevitably come around. I just had a cold sore and it was a tricky one. Sometimes they don't start tingling until it has already swollen. Once I realized it was one, I had waited a full day too late, but I was still very impressed. Thirty minutes after taking one, the tingling stopped. The next morning it was half the size. I had two that day and by the third day it was gone. I have every hope that if I take it within an hour next time, it will stop it cold. Awesome.

January 13, 2014 6:01 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: I have had cold sores for my entire life. When I was a baby, I used to get them in and around my eyes, which was a terrifying experience for my parents, as I could have lost my sight. I was prescribed Valtrex after I had reached the beginning stages of puberty, and it is absolutely amazing! If you take it right when you feel the tingle, the cold sore will not even appear, and if you take it when the blisters have just formed, they will not worsen. And for those who have a fully formed monster cold sore, never fear! Valtrex will shorten the healing time drastically, for me about 3 days.

January 10, 2014 6:36 AM

Review by wortheverypenny:

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: Valtrex has been a lifesaver for me. I've had this virus for 12 years now and would suffer through monthly outbreaks that lasted almost until the next outbreak would occur. I started by taking 2 500 mg pills/day or 3 pills if I had an outbreak. Now I take 1 500 mg pill once every second day and have had only one very minor outbreak in the last 2 years. If I feel an outbreak coming on I up my dosage to 3 pills a day and the outbreak is stopped/prevented. Valtrex is worth the cost, it makes living with this condition manageable. In addition to Valtrex, I avoid what I've found to be triggers for me...my only regret is not starting on this medication sooner.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2014 9:56 PM