User Reviews for Valacyclovir

Also known as: Valtrex

Learn more about Valacyclovir.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 3 reviews 3 medications

Ramsay Hunt Syndrome 1 reviews 10 medications

Cytomegalovirus Infection 1 reviews 4 medications

Summary of Valacyclovir reviews 235 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Valacyclovir

For Cold Sores: "Amazing results, I am 35 and been getting these on my lips and Nose since I was 16. I always struggled to get them to heal, they usually take two weeks and leave a nasty scar afterwards. I recently went to the doctor because I was getting them more frequently this past year. She gave me the 1gm tablets and told me to take two right away on the onset of the cold sore (tingle stage and tiny bump) I felt it coming in the night while I was sleeping and went to look in the mirror and sure enough I had one popping up. I immediately took two valtrex then 12 hours later took two more, then repeat until all pills gone. The cold sore stopped growing in size. I used compeed patches also. The sore went away in 3-4 days."

nananabooboo April 28, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I took valtrex for about 3 years. I was having terrible side effects after about a year 1/2.. but I did not want an outbreak so I kept taking them. I felt like total crap almost everyday for months. one day and realized I was out of my script and had to call doc for my yearly refill. I stopped taking them! I am a completely different person off of the pills. I no longer feel depressed. I was having all the side effects. I had a dull ache in the right side of my body that radiated form my hip to my breast. A week after stopping the pills all my symptoms were gone and pain in my side gone. I think back to a few weeks ago and never want to wake up eveyday feeling the way I did.i will deal with outbreaks. No more valtrex."

Seriouslyfedup (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 28, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I have been taking Valacyclovir everyday for 7 years and haven't had a outbreak since my very first outbreak. I'm almost happily married and haven't passed the virus to my wife of 5 years. We gave birth to my daughter who is also virus free. I have truly been blessed and thanks to God and this medicine."

BlessedEveryDay (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 27, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I've been using Valtrex for suppression and have not had an outbreak in 1.5 years using it. It's a life saver. Hoping to take it daily for the rest of my life. If anyone has been taking it daily for suppression please chime in, I wanted to know if it has effected anyone in a bad way. I did read one review where someone was using it daily as a suppression for 14 years and it worked and he didn't have an outbreak once but he ended getting allergic reaction and had to stop using it. What a bummer! But yes Valtrex is a life saver."

Johnganonyy April 25, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "After being sick with bronchitis and upper respiratory infection for about 2 weeks, I woke up one morning with cold sores overtaking my whole top lip. I've always taken Lysine and that helps cut back on the length of time for healing when I just have one cold sore. This time, the swelling and pain of having multiple cold sores was just too much to handle. I phoned my dr. and explained that my top lip was so swollen and that eating and drink had become painful. Dr. called in a prescription of 2 a day Valtrex. I took the first one yesterday around noon, by 6 pm the swelling and pain had already gone down. This morning I woke up and while the blisters are still there, it's like it reversed all the sores. No pain or swelling. Just healing!!"

Ibellah80 April 7, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Had my first outbreak about two weeks ago, it was excruciatingly painful. Couldn't urinate without being In the bath tub or running water over the sores....this outbreak had been going on for a whole two weeks almost so I went to my doctor and she prescribed me valtrex 500mg 2x a day. By the second day of taking the medication the burning while urinating went away. I am now on day 6 and the sores are almost all gone, I have maybe one left but there's little to no feeling in it. This was my first outbreak and I just turned 21, it flared up right after I got the flu and had a high fever. Apparently hsv can stay dormant in your body for some time until your immune system is shot...but I'm finally feeling normal again and the meds for sure work"

MaryMaria57 March 20, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "It's my 3rd day now on this and yet no sign of relief. I'm starting to get worried, the swelling and burning when I pee is still there and it's almost unbearable but hopefully it gets better."

Snowbunny77 March 19, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Until about age 56, had never had cold sore. Suddenly had spot on butt, went to clinic, PA thought it was spider bite, antibodies given, no relief. The next time it occurred (same spot), got in to see dermatologist immediately. He stated it was a form of chicken pox virus (not sexual related). Gave Valtrex, worked great. Pharmacist also recommending taking L-LySyine daily to help prevent occurrences. Used to have only 2 occurrences a year - February and August -my work stress months. Have not had any more occurrences."

Overstressed (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 16, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I have suffered with getting cold sores since I was a kid never bothered me until a few years ago i began getting them as soon as one would heal another would form. So I talked to my DR. and he prescribed Valtrex. It was amazing as soon as you get the tingle of the cold sore take Valtrex and the cold sore raises a little but the blister never forms. I can not say enough about how it also has changed on the frequency as to how often i get them now. maybe every 6 months to a year between outbreaks."

Doublea70 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "You guys, this medication deserves some kind of award. I have this random patch of HSV 1 on my eyebrow. It flares up a couple times a year. Previously, I have been prescribed acyclovir for breakouts. I wasn't too convinced it really did anything at all, but maybe it reduced my breakout time by half a day. This time, I happened to have a doctor's appointment that fell on day 3 of a breakout, so I mentioned that I wanted some acyclovir to help. My doctor said that was an older medication, and Valtrex was newer and better, so he gave me that. WITHIN 24 HOURS THE BLISTERS ARE NO LONGER BLISTERS AT ALL AND I AM HEALING. They did not burst, they just totally regressed. I took 2 2g pills twice a day for one day. This is a miracle drug. 10/10"

Doc2be (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2016

For Multiple Sclerosis: "I have been taking Valtrex for symptoms of MS for at least 5 years. When I first started taking it within 3 days I could go up steps with no problems. I feel I have greatly improved in strength and ability over those last 5 years. After so many years I started to wonder if it was really doing anything, so I stopped taking it when my prescription ran out. Two weeks later I was having some pain in my legs, even while relaxing, and could barely get up out of a chair. So, I took one of my few remaining Valtrex (1 500 mg per day). It worked! Within a 24 hour period I had no trouble getting out of a chair again. Not only that but my MS symptoms have remained stable for the past 5 years while taking Valtrex. It works for me."

BTerry (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 2, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "So here I am, an old gal in her 50s, married and monogamous for many years, and suddenly I develop genital herpes. It was absolutely excruciating! Turns out it was Type 1, which is often thought of as oral herpes, but can cause genital outbreaks too. Apparently I got it from my husband. Although he hasn't had a cold sore in 10 years, he was apparently shedding the virus anyway. Some medication he was taking temporarily caused ED, so we practiced lots of alternative types of intimacy for a while, and...you get the picture. I was in terrible pain and feeling very sorry for myself when my doctor told me valacyclovir could help. Although I wasn't very hopeful, the pain decreased substantially in just a couple of hours. I was so grateful!"

Adelthea17 (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I am going to turn 70 yrs old in March , I have had HSV for 42 yrs. I take the 500mg dose as soon as I know its going to start up and if I neglect taking it for whatever reason it flares up , one of the things that I noticed that is sure to get it going is Sun bathing . I have become a vegan and live a very healthy life style which really helps the immune system."

rpww (taken for 10 years or more) February 22, 2016

For Cold Sores: "It never stops the sore from appearing. It becomes big, swollen and very painful. Also, it takes over a week to heal and during the one to two week outbreak it remains very tender and sore. Ouch..... Its ineffective treatment for me. I am however very happy that it works well for others."

Christopher Columbus OH (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was getting frequent outbreaks and was very miserable. I felt I would never be normal again. Started this treatment and it improved my daily and intimate life by a milestone. Maybe get a little thing or two in a year and very possibly not. If so its quickly resolved with these meds..I reccomend it. Give yourself and love a chance. I am still very worthy and so are you. There is a huge and scary stigma about it but you are still normal and so am I. Its a small complication we have to deal with until God provides a cure. In the meantime take care of yourself and your partner. Be careful and safe. But don't underestimate your worth like I did. Try this treatment."

contentandaccepted February 19, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I've had cold sores since I was 8. I would get them every 2 months and they would last about 2 weeks before they were completely gone. My dentist prescribed me valtrex. If I take it at the first hour of feeling a cold sore coming on it works great. I don't get the little blisters that form on the lip, just feels a little swollen. It goes away after 3 days. Unfortunately it doesn't work once the blisters have formed. So if you get a cold sore in the morning and only get home at 8pm to take the valtrex it won't work the same way. So I always have it in my purse just in case. Life saver."

Stavia (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 17, 2016

For Cold Sores: "I am 18. My doctor prescribed valacyclovir 500mg to take 1 a day. I have been taking them for 5 days not missing a day. And on the 5th day (today) a fever blister popped up. Idk if I should up the dose by another 500mg or what"

BradyP February 9, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "This is my first outbreak. I've been on it for 2 days now and I have no relief. The blisters down in my vagina are awful. I scared go drink anything, because I'm scared to go to the bathroom.. I hope I get some relief soon. When outbreak is gone I hope to do supressive treatment."

mariezy February 5, 2016

For Cold Sores: "This medicine works period. I've always had cold sore or for as long as I can remember. On 2/2/16 I felt that tingling we all know about. And remembered my primary Doc had given me a prescription. He told me to keep it handy. I took two in the morning 1 mg each and two in the evening. I can't say how happy I am. By the second day I usually won't leave the house because my lip gets so big I can't even speak or laugh. Well today is my second day and my cold sore is barely noticeable. I wish I could post pics. It's amazing. The only side effect I got was a weird headache, but I can put up with a headache if the results are amazing like what I got. Ask your doctor for this if you haven't yet. Love it, love it, love it!"

Satisfied customer!!!! February 4, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "So woke up sunday morning with a little blister. Instantly took 4x500mg Valtrex. Unlike the rest of the users on the previous reviews, mine did get bigger and did multiply. It is now Tuesday. It didn't get as big as it would get without the valtrex but still up there and not scabbing yet. So its either I'm not lucky like the rest of the users or they are making it up."

JimmyJames1877 February 2, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Such a great pill! I contracted HSV 2 when I was only 17 by my boyfriend that cheated on me. One week before my highschool graduation. I started taking it only when having outbreaks until shortly after I was having 3-4 a month. I was beyond depressed. My doctor told me about suppressive medicine taking it twice a day (500mg) and ever since then I have been clear of any sign of an outbreak. I'm going on month 5 with no symptoms. Makes me feel myself again! Remember ALWAYS USE PROTECTION!"

Hunter runner (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2016

For Cold Sores: "Had cold sores since childhood, and they were always a pain. Usually they coincided with a recent illness or, most often, the seasons changing. Before, they were guaranteed to last me a week and a half, and always produced the most disgusting results. With these, I take two pills once I get the initial tingling and the beginnings of swelling, then two more twelve hours later. The blister, at its largest, will last maybe a day before immediately starting to recede. By day 2, it's hardly noticable, and usually around day 3 a scab shows up. Keep in mind, that's the WORST case scenario. Sometimes, I can get these pills quickly enough during the tingling phase that I get hardly anything. Absolutely ask your doctor if they'll prescribe these!!"

Jon Doh (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 1, 2016

For Cold Sores: "Considering pretty much nothing has ever worked for me when it comes to stopping cold sores, this is a life saver. If u catch the cold sore in time this pretty much stops it from getting worse when I take 2 grams and 2 grams 12 hours later, than follow up with 1 gram the next day it's already started healing. The only other thing that's every helped is lysine and that's more preventative so I don't get it. Once you have it though this is the best stuff by far. It's pricey though so you better have insurance."

Nick h January 30, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "As soon as you get your first outbreak you need to start taking this immediately. The outbreak will only get worse without it and last for weeks. My first outbreak was heart wrenching. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But once I started taking the medicine my symptoms rapidly improved. I probably get less than one outbreak a year but when I do have one I take this immediately and it knocks it right out."

crazydoglady84 January 21, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I would get cold sores all the time so finally my doctor recommended valtrex. I only took it once and have not had a cold sore since! It's been a year!"

LissaB37 January 12, 2016