User Reviews for Tretinoin

Also known as: Altinac, Atralin, Avita, Obagi, Refissa, Renova, Retin A Micro, Retin-A, Retin-A and Renova, Retisol-A, Stieva-A, Stieva-A Forte, Tretin-X, Vitinoin

Learn more about Tretinoin.

Tretinoin Review Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 455 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Tretinoin to treat Acne

Retin-A (tretinoin): "Today is my first day using Retain A 0.04% microderm Gel. I work in a pharmacy and the Rph told me when using this gel I have to also use clindamyacin 1% lotion before the gel. She also told me to use minocycline 100 mg capsules as well. Anyway , she said it will work alone but will work excellent together( gel & lotion). Then the capsules will top it off. My face (due a thyroidectomy that was performed) was always CLEAR. Within 6 months I had a lot of scars and pimples galore . I tried Epiduo, Nuquin, proactive, RX for brown skin, no7 everything but my hormones are out of wack. Hopefully this combo will work. Will keep ya posted."

Yana34 (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2015

Retin-A (tretinoin): "If you've come here looking for some hope on whether Retin A works or not than your answer is yes! I have been struggling with acne for almost 3 years now I want to think its a phase but who knows. I started retin A Febuary 2015 and it is now May 2015 and my skin looks AMAZING. Trust me I had that "purging" phase and it sucked so bad I didn't even want to go out and public because of how bad my face was. If you feel like it isn't working give it TIME, time and patient is key when using this product. I went through two purging phases during week 3 and 5 but after that it was pretty much a smooth ride. STICK WITH IT! Give it 3-4 months!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

"its been about 1 month and 2 weeks that I been using this cream and it has worked wonders. It took about 3 weeks to completely see some difference in my face but my skin now feels smoother and I only have a few break outs left to work on but I can actually go out without having to apply make up. At the beginning your skin starts peeling off but that's a good thing meaning you are growing new healthy skin. I'm def. sticking to this lotion!"

Anonymous May 13, 2015

"I had acne since 11 and I'm now 22, but Retin A really helped my get rid of them in 3 months. (I also cut dairy which is what I believe had caused my acne.) I started using retin A at 0.025->0.05% and I am seeing huge difference in my skin. Pores are significantly smaller as all my friends have complimented on how good my skin looks. Scars are going away faster than they do normally. I didn't have initial breakout like most people have. There's only occasional peeling when I don't drink enough water. I do notice my skin regenerate A LOT faster so remember to gently exfoliate your skin (light med peel). Amazing as it sounds, do give it a few months (or more depending on how your skin reacts to it). Going for 0.1% and I'll see how it goes!"

It works! (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2015

"I have been using this product every night for a year, and see absolutely no difference in my acne. I still have breakouts, and oily skin all the time"

bad acne (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 3, 2015

"After countless fails of using different cleansers and over the counter products I was prescribed a combination of Tretinoin (.025%) and Clindamycin, both topical medications along with 100mg minocycline antibiotics. I have severe acne, cysts on my back chest, and face. I use a pea size amount of Tretinoin at night before bed and the Clindamycin phosphate solution in the morning. I am 2 weeks in and I have had some breakouts on my forehead only. I am extremely active athlete so that can be the reason. My chest and back after week one has went through such drastic changes. Scars are minimized and red flares decreased. Just like any medication you have to sacrifice through the initial phases in order for it to kick in and start working."

chaqui (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2015

Retin-A (tretinoin): "I was on the 0.1 cream started Oct 2014 and ended early March.. I got it for whiteheads and uneven skin tone. After 4 1/2 months whiteheads diminished but left with even more scarring. We are going in to May and my skin hasn't healed. Just ugly red chickenpox on my face. :( Another con about this product I see that my skin texture isn't the same. When I was on it it was smooth but after I finished the tube it's just dull and my pores are huge. It just looks terrible and so much thinner, and my skin tone is still uneven It's depressing how much this cream has given me the uglies. It aged my skin 20 yrs. I'm only 23 and female btw. I don't know what to do now."

emannn April 25, 2015

Retin-A (tretinoin): "Well I started using retin a cream .25 about a month and 3 weeks ago. I started by using every 3 day for one month and then using it every other day. My face has gotten red and my acne scars seem to be more noticeable but around my eyes are really white, so you can imagine how I look. Well I'm not sure if this is part of the process, I'm going to stick with it one more month and see what happens. I use cerave pm moisturizer after applying and yes I use a moisturizer with spf 50 during the day that is a cetaphil product. So I really hope this is just a phase I'm going through, I'll update in a month."

That guy with the bad skin (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2015

Retin-A (tretinoin): "I was suffering from acne due to my sensitive skin and severe summer heat. I tried my teenage time acne cream in my late twenties but i felt it was too mild to work on my much matured skin like now. Then one of my friend, was a satisfied user of Retin A , suggested me to use Retin A 0.05%. I stated it in the winter to avoid over sweating and heat of summer. I face little flaky skin. first 2 weeks my acne breakout little more than the usual. but after that, acne seemed to be decreased. Whenever I feel too dry skin other than the acne affected area, I used pure Vaseline. Now I am cured and my skin is glowing. I am continuing the use of Retin A with my regular night cream as anti-aging properties. And I am quite satisfied with this."

khadija mariam (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2015

"I've been using this for about 3 weeks now and at first there was a lot of peeling. And one day I think I used too much and my cheecks became inflamed and irritated. It looked like I had a really bad sun burn in the fall. As of right now this gel has only made my skin worst. I have dark marks on my cheeks and in the corner of my mouth. I look horrible! These reviews say to keep going and be patient. But if I don't see results soon I will be forced to stop."

Markeeta (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2015

"As someone who's had moderate-severe acne for 8 years and tried just about every typical prescription for acne I was finally put on tretinoin combined with antibiotics. It's caused a lot of dryness and peeling which was to be expected. I know that this medication is supposed to take a long time to see the positive results, but 3 and a half months in I still haven't seen too much improvement. It actually smoothed out my forehead a lot which I'm glad to see, but in contrast the sides of my cheeks (which weren't my problem areas) have broken out into small, rough bumps for many months now. And my chin, which was full of painful, deep cystic pimples, have not changed at all. It was worth a shot but I think it's just not for me..."

It was worth a try (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2015

"I've been using the 0.025 dosage and my skin is the smoothest its ever been. My worst nightmare was coming to school with cakey makeup and pimples peaking through. It's been three months and my skin is 100% clear with light scars. This is the best thing I ever did for my skin!!"

haleyfam April 7, 2015

Retin-A (tretinoin): "Yes it works. That's the question you have and it does. If you have time read my story it'll be worth it. I'm 17 and live in my miami so the weather here is pretty much hot all year around. I'm not an active outside person so I do not getting acne because of sports or anything. I guess its just a phase. I've had acne since 6th grade and its sucked. I finally made an appointment with the dermatologist December 11. He prescribed me Tretenoin also known as retin a 0.1%, the strongest strength. And Clindamycin phosphate lotion as the antibiotic. So I was told to apply Clindamycin every night, and retin a every three nights, but let's face it. We all think applying it daily will help you get results faster. Well it doesn't, all it does is irrita"

Makeupjunky97 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2015

"I love this cream. My doctor prescribed this to me for acne (cystic, and blackheads). This was a dream cream for me. I am 23 years old and have been suffering from acne since about 14. Ive never had clear skin since using this stuff - and ive tried every product - even then expensive luxury products. This smoothed my skin after 2 weeks of use, made my hyper pigmentation from years of acne drastically improve. I do understand this is very drying, because it is speeding up creating new layers of skin. Because I don't want to be blotchy with dry patches all the time, I use this cream every other night, and moisturize thoroughly the next morning. I couldn't be happier with this cream because I'm finally able to not wear as much make up!!!!"

Elisabeth2 March 22, 2015

"I am about to start using retin A. I really do not have facial acne. The little pimples r nothing to mention. My issue is body acne (ew). I have acne on all of my upper body. My arms, shoulders and especially my back. Especially my back. Plus I had chicken pox last summer so I have a lot of scarring. I have noticed that my face gets rid of scarring quite easily. My face is clear and ok... just a bit of discolouration. No biggie. So I wanna know if I can get .025 % to begin with rather than .01% or should I just work my way up. Also... when someone says "work your way up" do they mean to finish a tube with a certain strength then move to a higher concentration. Also, can I stop using it and be fine or will it cause me to break out after I stop?"

Cj Apollo March 18, 2015

"This stuff is amazing. Not only for acne and acne scars, but for its anti-aging benefits too. I experience moderate hormonal acne breakouts on my chin/jaw area. While Tretinoin doesn't exactly stop my breakouts completely, it helps control my skin when I do have a breakout. I feel any pimples clear up and heal much quicker and any spotty discolouration that occurs after spots heal disappears much quicker. This stuff has especially done wonders for fine lines around my eyes and between my brows. My skin tone is more even, pores are smaller and condition of my skin/complexion is far nicer. My skin peeled a lot during the first few weeks- use once every few nights until your skin adjusts. I use nightly now with no problems."

FAC419 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2015

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Once you are on this medication, DO NOT STOP. I tried a whole bunch of over-the-counter and prescription medicines for my facial acne but nothing seemed to work till I tried a combination of Tretinoin (.025%) and Clindamycin, both topical medications. A pea size amount of Tretinoin at night before bed and the Clindamycin lotion in the morning. For the first two weeks the medication seemed to work and my acne started receding. But then the acne came back, not as acute as before, but enough for me to notice that maybe the bacteria was winning the battle. Nevertheless, I stuck to it like my dermatologist recommended and within a few months my acne had spoofed away! I strongly recommend it. If the acne worsens, Be patient. Male-25"

JRRRR March 10, 2015

"I been using tretinoin 1% for 2 weeks now, acne prone skin applying only at night with my favorite night cream. Yes my face peeled ALOT only for few days till my skin got used to it but might I say oooh my gosh what difference! Be patient it really works..keep applying your favorite cream in between to keep skin moist. Peeling will stop after first few days, my skin peeled so much but loved results. Remember peeling skin means new healthy skin! "

mar1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2015

"I have been taking tretinoin for a month and couldn't be more happy with the results I've seen in just a month. I would recommend it to anybody. Went to the doctor on 3-2-15 for a check up and I got five refills on it so can't wait to see the six month results very pleased with it besides the flaking and burning I get on my face. I also got a face buffer to take off all the dead flakey skin every morning."

zaya303 March 4, 2015

"I suffered from acne for 20 years. I've tried countless other so-called remedies and NOTHING can even compare to the effectiveness of trentinoin. My face began to clear up within a week, and I did NOT experience the massive breakout that many users complain of when first using it. I used to get huge painful cyst-like zits that could take months to go away and would frequently reoccur in the same spot. Since starting to use trentinoin cream almost a year ago, I haven't had a single one of these!! This is miraculous in my book. Added bonus is that discolored spots from previous acne have lightened up, and small wrinkles are essentially being smoothed out! I skip days so as not to dry out my sensitive skin. A good moisturizer is essential!"

Jasmine314 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2015

"I started tretinoin .05% 6 weeks ago every other night. I applied right after washing my face. Big mistake. Very red with lots of peeling. My second mistake was to rub the skin off when it was softened in the shower. While skin felt smooth instantly, there was painful stinging the minute I tried to moisturize. I had to wash off. Since then I've started waiting 30min before applying and I definitely don't rub it off in the shower. I'm still just at twice a week and having dry flaky skin within two days of applying-makeup looks awful. So I went to a derm who is also the owner of a med spa. She explained diff between hydration vs moisturizers and put me on hydration serums. So much better!"

Desperately Dry Skin (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2015

"I started the combonation of Tretinoin Cream 0.025, Doxycycline, and Clindamycin Gel on November 2nd. I stopped taking the Doxycycline, and I also stopped applying clindamycin after 5 weeks, and only continued using the Tretinoin Cream. Its now been 13 weeks since then, and the results are worth the wait. The only thing that you have to keep in mind is that it takes a long time to work. I was expecting to see clear skin by 6-8 weeks but I was still purging with new acne by the 10-11th week. Toward the 12th week everything flattened out and now all I have is scarring and hyper pigmentation. But with the continued usage I notice that they are getting lighter. So if you are feeling down about the results wait it out, and it will pay off."

veerose94 January 29, 2015

Retin-A (tretinoin): "I have only been using this with benzaclin for about 2 months and I can already see an improvement. My pores are smaller, skin is smoother and my tone is more even. I am 25 and have tried almost everything! I use benzaclin in the morning and Retin-A at night. For the first month I noticed 0 improvement, but now im starting to see it!"

yesmeen January 24, 2015

"I am a 17 year old girl, an acne sufferer for nearly 8 years now. This is the end of week 1 on Tretinoin 0.025 and my face is peeling and itchy but I know to expect worse breakouts before the better results. My problem area for acne, however, has not been my face in five years. It's always been my back and shoulders. While I'm noticing a fade in scars already, I'm going to keep an eye on it. I wish I'd been prescribed a moisturizer or at least told to find one. "

JCW17 January 16, 2015

"I went to the dermatologist 4 weeks ago and he prescribed trentoin 0.05%. I have hormonal acne therefore I have breakouts on my chin, cheeks and jaw. I have mild to moderate acne. Tretinoin dries my skin. I use it every other night. I use Cerave foaming facewash and Cerave am facial lotion. During the first week my skin looked worse. However, I can see the difference in my skin. My skin looks clear and my acne has reduced. The only con to tretinoin is that it DRIES your skin."

sophisticatediva (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2015