Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Tretinoin

Also known as: Altinac, Atralin, Avita, Obagi, Refissa, Renova, Retin A Micro, Retin-A, Retin-A and Renova, Retisol-A, Stie Vaa Forte, Stievaa, Tretin-X, Vitinoin

Learn more about Tretinoin.

Tretinoin review summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 455 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Tretinoin to treat Acne

Review by FAC419 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This stuff is amazing. Not only for acne and acne scars, but for its anti-aging benefits too. I experience moderate hormonal acne breakouts on my chin/jaw area. While Tretinoin doesn't exactly stop my breakouts completely, it helps control my skin when I do have a breakout. I feel any pimples clear up and heal much quicker and any spotty discolouration that occurs after spots heal disappears much quicker. This stuff has especially done wonders for fine lines around my eyes and between my brows. My skin tone is more even, pores are smaller and condition of my skin/complexion is far nicer. My skin peeled a lot during the first few weeks- use once every few nights until your skin adjusts. I use nightly now with no problems.

March 16, 2015 6:17 PM

Review by JRRRR:

Once you are on this medication, DO NOT STOP. I tried a whole bunch of over-the-counter and prescription medicines for my facial acne but nothing seemed to work till I tried a combination of Tretinoin (.025%) and Clindamycin, both topical medications. A pea size amount of Tretinoin at night before bed and the Clindamycin lotion in the morning. For the first two weeks the medication seemed to work and my acne started receding. But then the acne came back, not as acute as before, but enough for me to notice that maybe the bacteria was winning the battle. Nevertheless, I stuck to it like my dermatologist recommended and within a few months my acne had spoofed away! I strongly recommend it. If the acne worsens, Be patient. Male-25

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2015 6:22 PM

Review by mar1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I been using tretinoin 1% for 2 weeks now, acne prone skin applying only at night with my favorite night cream. Yes my face peeled ALOT only for few days till my skin got used to it but might I say oooh my gosh what difference! Be patient it really works..keep applying your favorite cream in between to keep skin moist. Peeling will stop after first few days, my skin peeled so much but loved results. Remember peeling skin means new healthy skin!

March 5, 2015 11:42 PM

Review by zaya303:

I have been taking tretinoin for a month and couldn't be more happy with the results I've seen in just a month. I would recommend it to anybody. Went to the doctor on 3-2-15 for a check up and I got five refills on it so can't wait to see the six month results very pleased with it besides the flaking and burning I get on my face. I also got a face buffer to take off all the dead flakey skin every morning.

March 4, 2015 6:05 PM

Review by Desperately Dry Skin (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started tretinoin .05% 6 weeks ago every other night. I applied right after washing my face. Big mistake. Very red with lots of peeling. My second mistake was to rub the skin off when it was softened in the shower. While skin felt smooth instantly, there was painful stinging the minute I tried to moisturize. I had to wash off. Since then I've started waiting 30min before applying and I definitely don't rub it off in the shower. I'm still just at twice a week and having dry flaky skin within two days of applying-makeup looks awful. So I went to a derm who is also the owner of a med spa. She explained diff between hydration vs moisturizers and put me on hydration serums. So much better!

February 4, 2015 9:08 PM

Review by veerose94:

I started the combonation of Tretinoin Cream 0.025, Doxycycline, and Clindamycin Gel on November 2nd. I stopped taking the Doxycycline, and I also stopped applying clindamycin after 5 weeks, and only continued using the Tretinoin Cream. Its now been 13 weeks since then, and the results are worth the wait. The only thing that you have to keep in mind is that it takes a long time to work. I was expecting to see clear skin by 6-8 weeks but I was still purging with new acne by the 10-11th week. Toward the 12th week everything flattened out and now all I have is scarring and hyper pigmentation. But with the continued usage I notice that they are getting lighter. So if you are feeling down about the results wait it out, and it will pay off.

January 29, 2015 3:53 PM

Review by yesmeen:

Retin-A (tretinoin): I have only been using this with benzaclin for about 2 months and I can already see an improvement. My pores are smaller, skin is smoother and my tone is more even. I am 25 and have tried almost everything! I use benzaclin in the morning and Retin-A at night. For the first month I noticed 0 improvement, but now im starting to see it!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2015 3:57 PM

Review by JCW17:

I am a 17 year old girl, an acne sufferer for nearly 8 years now. This is the end of week 1 on Tretinoin 0.025 and my face is peeling and itchy but I know to expect worse breakouts before the better results. My problem area for acne, however, has not been my face in five years. It's always been my back and shoulders. While I'm noticing a fade in scars already, I'm going to keep an eye on it. I wish I'd been prescribed a moisturizer or at least told to find one.

January 16, 2015 1:00 PM

Review by sophisticatediva (taken for less than 1 month):

I went to the dermatologist 4 weeks ago and he prescribed trentoin 0.05%. I have hormonal acne therefore I have breakouts on my chin, cheeks and jaw. I have mild to moderate acne. Tretinoin dries my skin. I use it every other night. I use Cerave foaming facewash and Cerave am facial lotion. During the first week my skin looked worse. However, I can see the difference in my skin. My skin looks clear and my acne has reduced. The only con to tretinoin is that it DRIES your skin.

January 11, 2015 11:27 PM

Review by nicole Mckenzie:

I've been using Trentinion gel for about a month now on and off I've been using it for clogged pores or acne and it's really been helping me I told my dermatologist about having a lot of dry skin so he prescribed me a prescription strength moisturizer which I put on in the morning after I wash my face and put on my make up but with the moisturizer it's been working very well but if I forget to put it on I can see the bumps on my face because of my clogged pores starting to come back but as long as I keep applying it, it works great.

January 6, 2015 11:15 PM

Review by Mina myu:

My doctor prescribed me this cream called tretinoin .01% cream. I've been using this cream for 1 week now and it really dried and peek my skin. I apply moisturizer in the morning but it makes my face looks red and discoloration. But I started to see a little result, it fades the bumps and acne scars on my face ( some of them not all) . After I've read the reviews , I think it helped me to be patient , I will stick with it.

January 6, 2015 6:03 AM

Review by Mon5544:

This was a great cream. My dermotaligist recommended this for me mixed with a little hydroquinone cream and I use it before I go to bed. It helped soo much with my acne! I had really dark scars and now most of them are gone. I even break out less

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2014 2:38 AM

Review by Hormone monster (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Tretinoin 0.025 helped me tremendously. 1 hour after cleansing I put it on, no peeling. Took 2 months to see results. First tone of the skin improved, then smaller and smaller break outs. I had like lumps under my skin before. If skin dries too much I use all natural products like shea butter to moisturise. Works. Now after 6 months of bi-daily use NO ACNE!!!! Whohoo! Did not think a cream would work for a severe acne I had. I don't even need the stronger version 0.05%. Skin is plump and not dry. Scars begin to fade, too.

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2014 5:40 AM

Review by Jessiejm:

My doctor says I have mild ance, but I would say I have more moderate to severe acne. I was prescribed this product and have been using it for about a week. This product has dried out my skin insanely, and has made my face incredibly red. My skin has also begun to flare up since using it. After reading the reviews, I am going to stay patient and hope for the best on this product.

December 20, 2014 10:52 PM

Review by Alexis Moore:

My experience with Tretinoin Cream, USP .025%, has been awesome! I'm a 16 year old who started, from breaking out every day, black spots on my face everywhere, extreme cystic acne, I felt terrible. I remember looking in the mirror and feeling that I was beautiful BUT if only my acne could go away, there was always a but. In fact, I even cried at one point at how horrible my skin was, it seemed as if everyone noticed. I remember one girl even referring to me as "spotted bump face," in which she then proceeded to laugh, making a joke off of my insecurities. NOW 3 months later my face is absolutely smooth, I rarely ever wear make up, my spots are barely visible, and the acne? IT'S GONE! It's like a miracle. I recommend anyone to stick it out!

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2014 10:39 PM

Review by Masha7:

Atralin (tretinoin): Amazing! It was very difficult at first -- had a lot of peeling, dryness, and breakouts but I stuck it out. After about 4-5 months I starting seeing a major improvement and now my skin is very smooth. Not only does it take care of acne but it smooths out fine lines. Great product, highly recommend. Try to stay patient through the first couple of months.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 10, 2014 7:39 PM

Review by Tretinoin user:

I've been using tretinoin cream 0.05% for one month now, I've had a lot of itching burning peeling and yes a whole lot more breaking out. I bear the pain and suffering from this medicine and I'm very happy I did because my face is looking so much better and my acne is clearing up. I use it only in the night 20 min after washing my face with Cerava face wash along with Cerava SA lotion in the morning as my moisturizer and I have to say it's working very well. If you are using Tretinoin and you getting more break outs do not discontinue this medication keep on using it you will get great results.

November 7, 2014 9:48 PM

Review by Bill8392 (taken for less than 1 month):

Ive never done a review, so thats saying something here. I've only been on Retin-A for about two weeks and I'm already seeing fantastic results. I had mild acne usually one to two cystic like pimples always on my face, and tons of blackheads across my chin and had two giant red splotches of skin near the corners of my mouth for months! Two weeks of 0.1% and they're already fading! The pimples are already gone too! Only been dealing with some mild peeling, dryness and slight redness of the skin but I know that's normal. I never thought I'd feel fine going out in public ever again.

November 4, 2014 2:39 AM

Review by 342Madison:

I have been using it for a week combined with Aczone. I am already seeing results! It does however make my skin really dry but I will take that over acne.

November 3, 2014 1:04 PM

Review by College Girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Retin-A (tretinoin): I'm a young woman in my early twenties with moderate acne. If you're just starting Retin-A, STICK WITH IT I started using Retin-A (0.01%) every night in December of 2013. I was very frustrated because my acne became worse for about 2 months. However, I stuck with it and by July 2014 my acne had noticeably decreased. It is now October 2014 and I've been getting compliments on how great my skin looks! For the first time in years, I don't feel like I have to wear liquid foundation to cover up my acne. If you experience flaking, remember that moisturization is key if you're using Retin-A!

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 28, 2014 1:24 AM

Review by nurseyA (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Retin-A (tretinoin): Retin-A truly did a 360 on my skin. I have mild to moderate breakouts with terrible hormonal flare ups. Hence when I first tried Retin-A over a year ago, it only worked for a short while and then I discovered I was expecting and had to stop using it. Glowing during pregnancy led to return of the bumps around my chin and forehead postpartum. Now I'm back on 0.025% and am in love with my skin again. Smooth, healthy, and rosy looking even when that time comes. It started working immediately. I skip every third night to keep from over drying and desensitizing. Goodluck all.

October 27, 2014 3:19 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have recently been prescribed Tretinoin 0.25%. I have been applying it for about a month now. At first my skin was terribly dry and painful. With the use of moisturizer it's not noticeable. I apply the medication at night before I go to bed. My acne has not gone away yet but my skin is much smoother and any new zits that do pop-up are gone immediately. From the experiences of other people, sounds like this medication just needs time and a patient with patience!

October 27, 2014 12:54 AM

Review by Gloria91:

I have been on tretinoin since the end of September I almost immediately saw improvement in my skin. However around last week (week 4) my skin broke out. Almost every part of my cheek to above my eyebrow was covered in small little pimples. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or if there is a solution. The doctor also prescribed my bleaching cream (hydroquinone) for my dark spots as well as a bp wash and doxycycline oral antibiotics.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2014 2:27 PM

Review by steph123_:

i have been using since the first week of August and now its October I see improvement but I still have scars and get pimples here and there and all my breakouts are gone and hopefully after 12 weeks I see more improvement.

October 4, 2014 10:33 AM

Review by okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk:

I've been using this cream every night for about a month now, I wash my face then put it on and go to sleep. A lot of my acne has cleared and now I only have small bumps on my jaw but this product DRIES out your skin. There is nothing I can't do, and I moisturize daily but it is ruining my face. My makeup looks patchy and bad and I can't do anything about it.

October 2, 2014 1:13 PM