User Reviews for Tretinoin

Also known as: Altinac, Atralin, Avita, Obagi, Refissa, Renova, Retin A Micro, Retin-A, Retin-A and Renova, Retisol-A, Stieva-A, Stieva-A Forte, Tretin-X, Vitinoin

Learn more about Tretinoin.

Tretinoin Review Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 450 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Tretinoin to treat Acne

Retin-A (tretinoin): "Hi, I just started my Retin A experience. I know it will end well because the reviews are really good. Well, I can't say it is a miracle product because I am in the "purge" at the moment. You say it will return to smooth acne free skin in a few months? Can't wait! I have been using Acne.org's routie for about a year and it really did work. However, it is time for a permanent solution. My mom said she started Retin A when she was a few years older than me. I am 18. I am on 0.025 Treitonin cream. I apply at night and a little extra dab on new pimples. My mom gave me some pointers: BE SURE to wait 20 mins after you wash your face before you apply. Always wear sunscreen during the day. I like the Babo Zinc block. Apply on neck too."

JMaeJones (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015

Retin-A (tretinoin): "I have been on tretinoin 0.025 for about 5 days and I've broken out so bad I have lots of little bumps by my nose is that normal"

Meme4162 August 20, 2015

"I've been on tretinoin .025 for 5 weeks now and can't decide whether to continue. I've always had super oily skin, and this product has had no effect on the oiliness. I see so many people discuss moisturizing methods and peeling, yet I've had nothing even close to that. I wake up and my skin is just as oily. I used to have mild cystic acne, and I'm glad to say this product has eliminated that. Now I get smaller bumps that never really come to the surface and just stay there. It's really frustrating because they don't really go away yet they are small and hard to notice. I worry I need a stronger percentage but my doctor doesn't think I should. I'm really having doubts on whether to continue or not help!!"

Anonymous August 16, 2015

"I have super sensitive skin and I'm very fair and this cream is the only thing that ever worked. At first you get worse acne but with in two weeks or so it's gone and they didn't Come back. Love this stuff. Also helps with wrinkles a lot it's very noticeable"

just another girl August 13, 2015

"I've been using tretinoin in the 0.1 gel form for almost 2 years and let me tell you it is possibly the best skin product you will ever own. //The beginning is hard, naturally the skin needs time to adjust so for the first few months of treatment you will experience a lot of redness, patchiness and obviously flaking and you may also experinece periods of very ugly break outs if u have many clogged pores hiding under the surface as the retin a will exfoliate the skin and slowly 'activate' ur pores to enable them to unclog without the need for manual extraction and without scarring. the key with retin a is patience, SPF and lots of moisturizing. do not quit before ur skin gets better and resist the temptation to extract acne yourself. G Luck."

GrillOnFire (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2015

"This medication, along with every other medication, is not for everyone. I just switched to this from Adapalene gel because the Adapalene wasnt effective for my skin. Literally, within one use my skin got better. I had been getting really bad cystic acne that took a long time to go away and the tretinoin dried them up and brought all the pus to the surface which is a good thing! I haven't even been using this for a week and my skin is a million times better! Side note, I have extremely sensitive and dry skin and this product dries me out slightly but it's so worth it."

Anonymous639737292 August 11, 2015

"I've had acne for over 4 years of my life. I am now going into freshman year of high school and I'm on my 6th month of Tretinoin A treatment. Honestly, I just want to call it quits, because my skin has been going through the "purging" phase for, as I repeat, 6 MONTHS. It honestly keeps getting worse. There would be times where the center of my face would redden and grew even more pimples (which I originally did not have) and my cheeks were also affected too. My tip is to not sleep on one side of your pillow (if you are one of those sleepers) and to have a balanced diet. I'm going back to my dermatologist in September, so that I may have another treatment."

Anonymmous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2015

"I am a 14 year old girl who has been suffering from acne since I was 11 years old, about 2 months ago I went to a dermatologist, and she prescribed me tretinoin cream .05. My acne has always been small to average sized pimples on my upper cheeks, chin, and some on my forehead. Now my acne is in bigger bumped forms, and it has formed all around my cheeks and some on my jaw line. My confidence level has dropped completely. I have scheduled a new derma app to see whats up, but from reading these positive reviews telling me to stick it out, that is what I am going to do. Goodluck to any tretinoin cream users!"

Jessileigh (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2015

Retin-A (tretinoin): "i have a very sensitive and oily skin. whenever i go under the sun and or get dirt on my face i just got acnes by that day and once it stats appearing it just breaks out vulnerably leaving extreme bad scars on my face. i was just looking for my perfect products everywhere. i used a lot of things for this but finally i went to a dermatologist and he suggested me to use duac gel twice a day, retin A cream at night over spot and blemishes and suggested acne aid liquid cleanser. i just started using it for 4 days and i just felt the quick changes on my skin. my scars were getting light and all the new born pimples were just faded with my skin. it is really an excellent spot treatment and reliable drug. please have it once. greatly recommended."

lvy dola August 6, 2015

"I am 16 years old and I suffered from acne since I was about 12. I have a very special type of acne. Its very tiny and form in clusters and never come to a head. I had this all over my forehead and cheeks. They would look worse under some lighting and looked awful under makeup. They gave my skin a sandpaper feel. I also got the occasional pimple. I was prescribed this medication by my doctor . I was given a 0.05 tretinoion. My first month was awful. I got the purging and all the pimples were coming to a head. After a couple of weeks my skin was starting to become smooth and healthy! Don't give up on this drug! One recommendation is to keep it up! Don't stop!!"

Acne warrior July 23, 2015

"I have been using Retin A 0.025 for a little over 10 weeks. I'm 33 years old and I've never had acne until the past year. I'm assuming it may be hormonal.... I didn't experience the terrible skin peeling and burning most talk about but I'm defiantly breaking out more. I'm going to stick with it until the 12 week mark and I'm done. I know it may take longer but because I only had mild acne to begin with, it's very hard to seeing my ance worsen. I've have some really hard days but I've stuck with this far. I'll see how the next couple weeks go! One thing I have noticed is, my acne lesions seem to scab over and go away pretty fast."

Corieb (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2015

"I am 16 years old andand I am a junior in highschool I started using the acne cream in 9th grade but I stopped over the summer & was on & off during me 10th grade year(I just lost track) but my overall experience is great I love it my only problem is that after a couple of day my chest gets sorta like a rash & it turns really red & hurts. And my face gets painfully irritated. But I have made an appointment to follow up with my dermatologist so yeah. But overall its a really great cream"

Nay1245 July 17, 2015

"Since I was 13 I've always had acne. Now as I'm 16, my acne has gotten to its worst so I decided to finally open up my drawer and begin using my Tretinoin Cream 0.025 that I was prescribed to by my Derm 2 months ago but decided not to try since I knew of the purging that would be happening. 2 weeks in and my skin is undoubtedly in its purging phase, although the first week was amazing. My skin was almost clear and had very little inflammation. DO NOT STOP USING THIS PRODUCT! Can't wait to see its results in a couple months. I have a lot of hope for this drug."

daaanaaaaaa (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2015

"I started taking tretinoin along with doxycycline antibiotics in November of 2014. It's currently July 2015 and my skin is clear. This stuff is amazing! I used to have severe acne for years. There were some days I didn't even want to step foot out of the house. This medication changed my life. I had tried everything in the past. It definitely takes a while to really see results but it's worth it because my skin is almost completely clear now!"

Akelly99 July 10, 2015

"I am 15 years old and started this medicine before I turned 15 .in May , a few weeks before my birthday.thos medication CHANGED MY LIFE! I feel very Confident about my appearance ! I have this mark under my chin that was originally a pimple "

GOOD BYE ACNE !!!! July 7, 2015

"Hi everyone! I'm a sixteen year old girl who has been struggling with acne since the beginning of high school. My self confidence definitely crashed and I always seemed to have to cake foundation on my face before going anywhere, and I just wanted my acne to be GONE. So it has been exactly 2 1/2 months since my physician prescribed me to tretinoin Retin-a 0.05%, and the first thing I did was look up reviews about it. I was terrified of the possible "purge" so I waited until a week long break from school to start using it, and to my surprise, no special purge on my skin! My forehead and chin have always been okay; cheeks and nose have been the biggest problem, but generally my skin is smoother and less red! STICK WITH IT!!!"

hoping for better skin!! (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2015

Retin-A (tretinoin): "I wanted to take the time to write a review in the hopes to give at least one person the self confidence boost they need to keep going with Retin-A. I've been waiting for the day I get to write my own review. I officially started using Retin- A .25 just under 4 months ago today. My first day was 3 weeks before my birthday. I remember contacting my Dermo in advance with a million questions and mostly the fear of going through THE PURGE during this busy time filled with celebrations, events, etc. I thankfully, made the gamble and started! I decided it was always be... I'll start next week, next month. Let's be real, when is there ever a good time for acne?! I can only describe the last 4 months as a roller coaster. There will be good days. There will be days you hide inside. At some points I thought I was done purging, then it would come back. IT TAKES TIME. Painful cysts too, that do not go away. I would rather have 20 white head pimples all over than 1 deep painful cyst on my face! It was the most challenging thing I've gone through. It will test your patience. To the point of tears, and why me's! At one point I scheduled an emergency Dermo appt to receive Cortizon injections on 3 cysts that were almost the size of dimes!! I couldn't take it anymore. This was 2.5 months. He sat me down and said it takes 3-4 months for results to be reached and you will hate your dermo for that time and gave me the push to continue to go forward. Here's the good news! I am at my 4 month mark, and I have never been more happy. I haven't had a break out in 1.5 weeks. I don't know the last time I've been able to say that. I can take on the CALI summer and not feel like I'm hiding. My biggest advise is be strong! Tell yourself everyday, it's only 4 months of the rest of your life. Get past the 4-5 month mark and it will all be worth it! The past will be a blur! Good luck and you can do it!"

Cali lady June 23, 2015

Retin-A (tretinoin): "Retin-A is great. It helps a lot. It was september 2014 when I decided to go to a dermatologist. She recommended Glycolic Soap (Use night and day), Clarifying Toner in the morning, Clindamycin (night and day), RA Gel every night, and Skinlite cream in the morning for the scars. Last march 2015, My face is already smooth. People were saying that it looks great. Now it's June 2015 and I'm still using RA Gel and Clindamycin, just to maintain my skin. Reminder: Please when you start using RA Gel, do not stop. The pimples will come back... Worse!"

I WAS June 11, 2015

Retin-A (tretinoin): "Today is my first day using Retain A 0.04% microderm Gel. I work in a pharmacy and the Rph told me when using this gel I have to also use clindamyacin 1% lotion before the gel. She also told me to use minocycline 100 mg capsules as well. Anyway , she said it will work alone but will work excellent together( gel & lotion). Then the capsules will top it off. My face (due a thyroidectomy that was performed) was always CLEAR. Within 6 months I had a lot of scars and pimples galore . I tried Epiduo, Nuquin, proactive, RX for brown skin, no7 everything but my hormones are out of wack. Hopefully this combo will work. Will keep ya posted."

Yana34 (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2015

Retin-A (tretinoin): "If you've come here looking for some hope on whether Retin A works or not than your answer is yes! I have been struggling with acne for almost 3 years now I want to think its a phase but who knows. I started retin A Febuary 2015 and it is now May 2015 and my skin looks AMAZING. Trust me I had that "purging" phase and it sucked so bad I didn't even want to go out and public because of how bad my face was. If you feel like it isn't working give it TIME, time and patient is key when using this product. I went through two purging phases during week 3 and 5 but after that it was pretty much a smooth ride. STICK WITH IT! Give it 3-4 months!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

"its been about 1 month and 2 weeks that I been using this cream and it has worked wonders. It took about 3 weeks to completely see some difference in my face but my skin now feels smoother and I only have a few break outs left to work on but I can actually go out without having to apply make up. At the beginning your skin starts peeling off but that's a good thing meaning you are growing new healthy skin. I'm def. sticking to this lotion!"

Anonymous May 13, 2015

"I had acne since 11 and I'm now 22, but Retin A really helped my get rid of them in 3 months. (I also cut dairy which is what I believe had caused my acne.) I started using retin A at 0.025->0.05% and I am seeing huge difference in my skin. Pores are significantly smaller as all my friends have complimented on how good my skin looks. Scars are going away faster than they do normally. I didn't have initial breakout like most people have. There's only occasional peeling when I don't drink enough water. I do notice my skin regenerate A LOT faster so remember to gently exfoliate your skin (light med peel). Amazing as it sounds, do give it a few months (or more depending on how your skin reacts to it). Going for 0.1% and I'll see how it goes!"

It works! (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2015

"I have been using this product every night for a year, and see absolutely no difference in my acne. I still have breakouts, and oily skin all the time"

bad acne (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 3, 2015

"After countless fails of using different cleansers and over the counter products I was prescribed a combination of Tretinoin (.025%) and Clindamycin, both topical medications along with 100mg minocycline antibiotics. I have severe acne, cysts on my back chest, and face. I use a pea size amount of Tretinoin at night before bed and the Clindamycin phosphate solution in the morning. I am 2 weeks in and I have had some breakouts on my forehead only. I am extremely active athlete so that can be the reason. My chest and back after week one has went through such drastic changes. Scars are minimized and red flares decreased. Just like any medication you have to sacrifice through the initial phases in order for it to kick in and start working."

chaqui (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2015

Retin-A (tretinoin): "I was on the 0.1 cream started Oct 2014 and ended early March.. I got it for whiteheads and uneven skin tone. After 4 1/2 months whiteheads diminished but left with even more scarring. We are going in to May and my skin hasn't healed. Just ugly red chickenpox on my face. :( Another con about this product I see that my skin texture isn't the same. When I was on it it was smooth but after I finished the tube it's just dull and my pores are huge. It just looks terrible and so much thinner, and my skin tone is still uneven It's depressing how much this cream has given me the uglies. It aged my skin 20 yrs. I'm only 23 and female btw. I don't know what to do now."

emannn April 25, 2015