User Reviews for Tretinoin

Also known as: Altinac, Atralin, Avita, Refissa, Renova, Retin A Micro, Retin-A, Retin-A and Renova, Retisol-A, Stie Vaa Forte, Stievaa, Tretin-X, Vitinoin

Learn more about Tretinoin.

Tretinoin review summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 450 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Tretinoin to treat Acne

Review by Alexis Moore:

My experience with Tretinoin Cream, USP .025%, has been awesome! I'm a 16 year old who started, from breaking out every day, black spots on my face everywhere, extreme cystic acne, I felt terrible. I remember looking in the mirror and feeling that I was beautiful BUT if only my acne could go away, there was always a but. In fact, I even cried at one point at how horrible my skin was, it seemed as if everyone noticed. I remember one girl even referring to me as "spotted bump face," in which she then proceeded to laugh, making a joke off of my insecurities. NOW 3 months later my face is absolutely smooth, I rarely ever wear make up, my spots are barely visible, and the acne? IT'S GONE! It's like a miracle. I recommend anyone to stick it out!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2014 10:39 PM

Review by Bill8392 (taken for less than 1 month):

Ive never done a review, so thats saying something here. I've only been on Retin-A for about two weeks and I'm already seeing fantastic results. I had mild acne usually one to two cystic like pimples always on my face, and tons of blackheads across my chin and had two giant red splotches of skin near the corners of my mouth for months! Two weeks of 0.1% and they're already fading! The pimples are already gone too! Only been dealing with some mild peeling, dryness and slight redness of the skin but I know that's normal. I never thought I'd feel fine going out in public ever again.

November 4, 2014 2:39 AM

Review by 342Madison:

I have been using it for a week combined with Aczone. I am already seeing results! It does however make my skin really dry but I will take that over acne.

November 3, 2014 1:04 PM

Review by College Girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Retin-A (tretinoin): I'm a young woman in my early twenties with moderate acne. If you're just starting Retin-A, STICK WITH IT I started using Retin-A (0.01%) every night in December of 2013. I was very frustrated because my acne became worse for about 2 months. However, I stuck with it and by July 2014 my acne had noticeably decreased. It is now October 2014 and I've been getting compliments on how great my skin looks! For the first time in years, I don't feel like I have to wear liquid foundation to cover up my acne. If you experience flaking, remember that moisturization is key if you're using Retin-A!

October 28, 2014 1:24 AM

Review by Gloria91:

I have been on tretinoin since the end of September I almost immediately saw improvement in my skin. However around last week (week 4) my skin broke out. Almost every part of my cheek to above my eyebrow was covered in small little pimples. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or if there is a solution. The doctor also prescribed my bleaching cream (hydroquinone) for my dark spots as well as a bp wash and doxycycline oral antibiotics.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2014 2:27 PM

Review by steph123_:

i have been using since the first week of August and now its October I see improvement but I still have scars and get pimples here and there and all my breakouts are gone and hopefully after 12 weeks I see more improvement.

October 4, 2014 10:33 AM

Review by okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk:

I've been using this cream every night for about a month now, I wash my face then put it on and go to sleep. A lot of my acne has cleared and now I only have small bumps on my jaw but this product DRIES out your skin. There is nothing I can't do, and I moisturize daily but it is ruining my face. My makeup looks patchy and bad and I can't do anything about it.

October 2, 2014 1:13 PM

Review by Cari15:

20 year old female, have been using this for more than 12 months.The first few weeks my face was slightly red and irritated so I added oil free moisturizer before applying. I also experienced an initial breakout but after a little over 2 months my face started to clear up. Now I'm 100% clear and it's helping me get rid of scars and red marks. Patience is really the key with this treatment.

September 26, 2014 2:11 AM

20 yr old female with moderate acne. I was prescribed this cream at 0.025% about a year ago my doctor told me to expect it to get worse before it gets better. She was not kidding, after I started using it my cheeks were constantly breaking out huge very painful swollen pimples. I had to sleep on my back because my face touching a pillow was excruciating. Whenever it seemed to be getting better it would get bad again. My doctor upped my dose to 0.050% and also added an antibiotic to my regimen after three months and no improvements. Since then my acne is between mild and moderate but never clear. My experience with this cream was not a good one, I stuck with it for a full year to be back where I started.

September 11, 2014 3:58 PM

Review by Hmm55:

I've been using Tretinion for a week now & it has only made my face breakout more. Still using it to see if it gets better. My doctor told me it pushes out all of the gunch out of my pours. Which make sense to why I'm breaking out. Hoping it gets better in the next 1 to 2 weeks from now. Will keep updated. Pray for my skin!

August 16, 2014 11:39 PM

Review by AvG1 (taken for less than 1 month):

I was suffering from moderate acne from when I was 16 but I did nothing and they cleared up in about 8-9 months and then after a year my acne flared up again and they were more bad cystic acne on my cheeks, nose, chin, forehead, and small whiteheads all over face. Doctor gave me tretinion cream with a cream called Fusate-B for a month I have been using it for 2 weeks and it has made my 70% pimples vanish and yes I get breakouts but very small with small pimples. I have wheat complexion so those pimple left me with black spots and they have also faded about 20-30% I have never imagined this good results in 2 weeks I will continue this for months and see what happens.

August 10, 2014 3:19 AM

Review by Gambit (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm a 20 year old male and I have what they call "mild acne". My face was covered in small bumps and little whiteheads. I've been on tretinoin .025% for 3 weeks and my face is already 90% clear. I never went through an initial breakout and so far my face hasn't become sensitive to sunlight. I even went sunbathing a few times with no trouble. This worked very very fast and cleared about 60% of my hyperpigmentation so far. I swear it even reduced some wrinkles! My complexion looks a lot healthier and I'm proud to finally say that I can look in the mirror without fear anymore! I couldn't have asked for a better product. Highly recommended for mild adult acne.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 4:03 PM

Review by carlyyyyy (taken for less than 1 month):

I had cysitic acne that would pop up mainly around my chin and sometimes my cheeks. I've been to many dermatologists and have tried so many solutions. I've tried Proactiv, Acayna cream, and antibiotics, but nothing seemed to show a significant improvement. Once I was prescribed Tretinoin Cream, 0.025%, I was truly skeptical as to how much it would improve my scarring and acne. Now, after about only 3 and a half weeks of using it, I couldn't be more pleased. My scars have significantly faded, I have 0 pimples. My face looks amazing. I can literally walk around without makeup. I don't remember the last time I could do that! I HIGHLY recommend this product to anyone who has bad scarring, or acne.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 2, 2014 6:56 PM

Review by Dreamgirl79 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Atralin (tretinoin): I have never written a review about a product until now! I'm a 34 year old female & started getting chin acne in my late twenties- nothing helped, I tried everything from Proactiv to Tretonion to antibiotics! About 4 months ago my dermatologist put me on Atralin & oh my what a difference in 4 months! I even go without makeup now! I never get a pimple now it's wonderful & it makes my skin look Dewey & hydrated not dried out & flakey as with the Tretonion I tried. Highly recommend Atralin!

May 15, 2014 8:36 PM

Review by AAG (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Retin-A (tretinoin): 10 MONTH RETIN-A USER : In the begining of summer 2013 I had the worst break out ever! My forehead was full of pimples. I couldn't stand it anymore so I went to go see my doctor and he prescribed me Retin-A. It says to apply everyday over night after washing your face. So I applied it every night and the first three weeks my acne was okay by the second month I had another mild breakout but by the third month it began to calm down again. By the fourth the skin around my nose started to peel and it was very itchy. Because of this I applied alchol free/ fragrance free lotion and my skin got better. By the 6th month my acne was under control! I only had a couple of pimples here & there. But the product works wonders! It just takes patience!

April 6, 2014 5:06 AM

Review by EPPNYC:

I started breaking out when I got to college. I decided to address the problem before it got worse, even though the acne wasn't that bad. She gave me a prescription for Tretinoin X cream. I put it on every night. The first week, I felt like someone had rubbed sandpaper across my face. It was AWFUL. My skin was red and irritated and it hurt like hell even when nothing was touching it. The next week, the pain and irritation slowly subsided. The following, my face erupted in pimples. That lasted into the fourth week. It was worse than it had ever been. After that, my face magically cleared up. It was amazing. Except for a very few minor spots, my skin is nearly flawless. The beginning sucks, but STICK IT OUT. You won't regret it.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2014 7:40 PM

Review by tomgg:

I tried tretinoin 0.05% a year ago and I stopped as it didn't have any effect no side effects either. So I went back to the doctor a month ago and the doctor said it can take up to 6 months before I could see any results but it's worth doing. So I used the same cream and again I didn't notice any results until 3 weeks which gave dramatic improvement. It hasn't dried out my skin. My advice is stick at this medicine for at least 6 months because it's worth it. Take doxycycline antibiotics at early stages to help with negative side effects of acne getting worse in early stages.

March 9, 2014 6:34 AM

Review by nyc967:

I used to use Retin A, but the side effects were so bad - my dermatologist recommended the Lady Soma Serum and Lady Soma Somatique Face Wash. It has Retinol Vitamin A in it, WITHOUT the side effects of Retin A. For those of you actually using Retin A, here is my routine... Wash with Lady Soma Somatique Face Wash - then apply the Lady Soma Renewal Serum. In the morning I wash again with this Lady Soma Wash. The Lady Soma stuff also seems to be helping with the intial breakout I got from the Retin A (have not had acne in years! was put on the Retin A for sun damage & fine lines).

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2014 7:54 PM

Review by Josh112788:

Retin-A (tretinoin): So about five months ago or so I asked my esthetician for some Retin-A (tretinoin) cream and she gave me the 1% concentration. I had moderate acne when I was younger, but I didn't leave it alone. Haha. I picked at it, and so I have some "mild" (Or so I'm told -I think it's terrible!) scarring now even though my acne went away with age. I'm 25 now. Acne went away at about 19. Some are pockmarks, and others just discoloration and a little uneven texture. I jumped straight to everyday use. Expected irritation and redness, but none came. My (sensitive) skin handled it awesomely. Product works great. Skin peels off every morning. Haha. Scars are fading nicely. Pockmarks much less depressed. I get compliments on my skin now!

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2013 10:34 PM

Review by Tretinoin cream 0.1%:

Been using every night 30 minutes after washing my face for 2 months now and have not seen any improvements yet.

December 26, 2013 12:37 AM

Review by Nanchie:

Amazing! I had horrible acne about 5 years ago. Big cysts ALL over my face! When I used tretinoin my face cleared up significantly. However I stopped using it for 1 year and I have acne again. I am now using Retin-A and I hope it gives the same results.

November 30, 2013 1:49 AM

Review by sangta:

Retin-A (tretinoin): I started getting small bumps, (not exactly pimples, but should be taken care of immediately else it would grow into pimples later) on my forehead and chin areas. It started to spread in cheeks too. I first started using Retin-A cream. Initially I had lots of new breakouts, but didn't give up my patience. New breakouts started to fade out on continuous application at only nights after cleansing with Episoft lotion. After a month I started applying Retin-A, My skin texture, pimple marks, uneven skin tone has improved drastically. Only thing is use this product only at night after proper cleansing. Initially this will cause skin peeling and irritation.

November 26, 2013 4:27 AM

Review by Soonia:

I've been using tretinoin last 3 months & this worked great on my face but now little pimples back & goes away quick , my only problem is my face get so much dryness I don't know what I should do??? Pls help

November 6, 2013 8:31 PM

Review by mgatz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm a 20 year old male, and I've had mild acne since I was 13. After going on antibiotics (pill and cream) in high school, my acne got somewhat better. After not being on anything for the past 2 years, in the last several months my acne flared up again, and I was getting surface spots and painful cysts. A dermatologist put me on Doryx, Benzclyn and tretinoin 0.5 cream. I saw initial improvement with the antibiotics as I was getting less inflammation. However, my skin problem has always been more about an inability to shed dead skin Let me tell you, 6 weeks after using tretinoin, my skin has never looked better and it is continually improving. I still am getting an occasional spot or two, but the texture of my skin is so much softer and spot

November 3, 2013 5:56 PM

Review by LChez:

Atralin (tretinoin): Atralin is an amazing ointment for acne prone, sensitive skin. I got a prescription for the topical gel because I was having mild to moderate breakouts and had acne scarring that had occurred before I went on Accutane. My skin is very sensitive, so I needed a mild gel. Every night I put a pea sized amount into my palm, mixed it with a small amount of my facial night cream, dabbed bits of the mixture all over my face and neck and then applied my night cream as usual. At first I was discouraged because I was very consistent with my regime and did not see results for many weeks. Then, after about three months of daily use, my acne and acne scarring began to clear up dramatically. I have not had a blemish in months!

October 21, 2013 10:32 PM