User Reviews for Tretinoin

Also known as: Altinac, Atralin, Avita, Obagi, Refissa, Renova, Retin A Micro, Retin-A, Retin-A and Renova, Retisol-A, Stieva-A, Stieva-A Forte, Tretin-X, Vitinoin

Learn more about Tretinoin.

Photoaging of the Skin 18 reviews 10 medications

Acne 182 reviews 518 medications

Summary of Tretinoin reviews 200 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Tretinoin

For Acne: "hello! I have written two reviews over the past ten months of using tretinoin 0.05 for my acne and I wanted to add some new advice! I realized, around last September, that I had been using foundation with salicylic acid in it which was slowing down my recovery!! I had changed all my face washes, moisturizers, and cleansers to ones without salicylic acid, but the foundation I used every day was actually making my skin worse! I was using the neutrogena skin clearing foundation, but now I am using the Est"

helpful tip! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2016

For Acne: "I have always had a problem with acne. My doctor recommended me this gel and I have to say I can see the results. I would pick at my pimples and I would have scars .Then as I started to use the gel there slowly fading. But I still have some acne on my forehead . Hopefully by the end of February my face is back to new ."

Girl batman January 29, 2016

For Acne: "So I started breaking out a lot!!!! Chin and my cheeks. I have so many scars. My makeup won't even cover it.I went to my derm and she prescribed me tretinoin .25% and clindamycyn1%. I saw improvement in 2 weeks then after that my face has been so bad! I look like a Brooklyn pizza! It's hideous. I no longer have self esteem. I went back to derm and she gave me medication and .50%tretinoin. I'm on month two and my face just peels. I still break out and my acne scars are still there. I'm loosing hope... When I put makeup on over the dry peeling patches it makes it look worse. I'm just done with this medication. I will keep using it until month 3 like the derm said I would see improvement. I'm so depressed looking at my face in the mirror !!!"

Shar18 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2016

For Acne: "I am 30 years old and my acne and skin had gotten bad in the last year. My skin felt gross and clogged. I went to a dermatologist for the first time in Dec. of 2015 and he prescribed me Tretinoin .05 .. I did a ton of research on it first. I began using the cream little by little. First a couple times a week. Then 3, now I'm up to 4x a week. This helped so that my skin didn't freak out. Also start with a small amount, don't use it like a moisturizer and apply it only to dry skin, so wait 10 min. after washing your face. Anyways, it's only been a month but my skin is doing so much better. No breakouts. My skin feels soft, no little bumps. I haven't experienced bad side effects, only some dry skin, but I've been very careful."

SilviaM85 January 28, 2016

For Acne: "I have more acne as an adult then I had in my teenage years. I'm now 43 . Its all on the lower quarter of my face.. it is awful. More like cystic acne. I can not take antibiotics for acne due to my health issues. My dermatologist has tried it all. I find it very drying. And acne is not getting better. I've been on it a few months now and I've had it. I don't like anyone seeing me. This isn't working for me. So disappointing"

Tiger5230 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

Atralin (tretinoin) for Acne: "STICK IT OUT. How long? 3-4 months is the magic number! It takes 3-4 months to see ANY improvement. Up until then, expect more acne, dryness, peeling. However, the results are worth it. Good luck!"

Anonymous January 21, 2016

For Acne: "I am the mother of a 13 yr old boy. His face was bad. I would say he didn't have a clear spot on his face or back. And he was prescribed the tretinoin cream 0.025. And also an antibiotic called doxycycline mono 100mg. Doctor said give it a month and we would see a change. That was October 2015. It's now January and month 3/4 and his scars from picking his pimples are so faded you can barely see them. And his back is clear. We use both everyday. He will still get a pimple here and there but it has given him back his Confidence. The doctor said the longer you are on it the better."

mom of teen (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2016

For Photoaging of the Skin: "2 months. Went through the dry skin, red skin, 'ugly phase'. But stick with it. It really does work!!! My skin tone is perfect and my skin is so clear."

Vptjlb January 14, 2016

For Acne: "Ok so this is an update I have been on the cream for 1 month and I keep getting whiteheads I am starting to think that it does not work...anyone had the same issue?"

rosaaa January 11, 2016

For Acne: "My acne is worse. But I am trying to give it a try . It's been two weeks and I use every other day."

missmamamia January 11, 2016

For Photoaging of the Skin: "It is effective on both aging and acne but I used it so long I think I built up a tolerance of sorts. I switch it up with Tazorac to keep my skin guessing. I like the cream better in the winter (less drying) and the gel better in the summer (when my skin gets oily)."

Saraih January 8, 2016

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I've suffered from acne since I was about 12 years old and I've had to deal with it straight up until college. Over the years I tried countless acne products, but nothing worked for me and I became really discouraged. Luckily, I was recently prescribed the Retin A Cream 0.05% by my dermatologist and my skin is thriving! My blemishes has cleared up so much, it is mindboggling. I can't tell you how much this cream has helped my skin. It's been like a blessing. When I first started using it, I was skeptical because I didn't see any results, but keep using. Don't become discouraged! It works. If it worked for me, someone who has struggled with acne for half of her life, it will work for you."

HumbleSoul (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2016

For Photoaging of the Skin: "I'm 52, sought help from a dermatologist for under skin bumps, blackheads and oily skin. I've been using this product for a few months now and in the beginning, as stated in other posts, I experienced dry, irritable skin but in the past few weeks, I've noticed a noticeable change. My skin is radiant, even tone and the bumps are practically all gone. I use coconut oil as a night moisturiser and this cream daily. I also use a sunscreen. I have been getting very positive comments on the youthfulness of my skin. :)"

MLPR January 5, 2016

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "2or3 months ago I did a review for this product. It starts off around me saying that "I'm 18 years old and started using retin a for 6 weeks or so." So this is an update... I'm into my 5th month and WOW! My skin is so much clearer. Trust me no one likes acne I've gone through it. But this cream has been helping me so much. The purging sucks! Whiteheads show up but don't give up on it. After 1 month you'll see a difference. When I started I had red blemishes on my cheeks and now it's long gone. Just some marks here and there. I still get pimples here and there but not as much as I used to. This product is the best I'm so happy using retin a. I recommend washing face morning and night(Cetaphil Soap). Take antibiotic. Mine is (minocycline50)"

Annoymousss (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

For Acne: "I LOVE THIS CREAM!!! I am 30 years old and have battled with acne since the age of 12. My doctor recommended this cream about 7 years ago and it the only thing that works for me. I also struggle with chest and back acne. It clears my skin within 2 months and I see results sooner than that. In the beginning the sides of my mouth did blister and my skin would be extremely sensitive and dry. The end results are worth it. I recommend that you stay consistent because my acne would come back once I stopped using the cream. In all I love it and would recommend it to anyone struggling with acne and scars."

Happy and clear skin (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 5, 2016

For Photoaging of the Skin: "I am 52 years old, I use retin a cream 0.05% for wrinkles, it is perfect. As I go to Thailand 3 times a year, I buy it there. "

Patty Kirsten (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 29, 2015

For Acne: "Tretinoin increases cell turnover. For those who have an initial purge, where your acne is getting worse, stay patient!!!!! I know how hard it is to look into the mirror. It will get better. I use it every 3rd night and use cetaphil lotion after applying it. My skin is to sensitive to use it daily. I also take an antibiotic every day. It can take up to 12 weeks for a pimple to form; therefore it takes a few months to clear all the pimples up... Including the ones that haven't fully formed yet! Be patient!!!!!"

jackinbox20 December 26, 2015

For Acne: "This medicine is to be used only once or twice a week and then increased to every other day/everyday. I've been using it everyday for over a year. I have combination skin, and even though It can make my skin dry if I don't put on lotion, it has helped my skin so so so much. I went from having extremely bad acne to having not a single pimple on my face. My skin is smooth and my acne marks are fading and most are hardly visible.my dermatologist has told me that after using it for awhile, it will make your skin look better than it did years ago, and she is correct. This stuff is the best, and insurance covers so much. I use a bottle every 6 months and only pay $20 each time"

Sassaaaaly (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 26, 2015

For Acne: "I'm 18 and is suffering from bad acne, I reduced it by using benzac and retin-A . The later has helped to reduce my scars."

Cap'n Chris (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2015

For Acne: "I have to keep this concise since I can only type so many words. I used this for acne. Using it every other day left my skin oily and peeling. I switched to every 3-4 days and the flesh-colored bumps on my forehead went away. The problem? This stuff will dry out your skin. I used this followed by a thick moisturizer. Still had super tight skin. After doing some research, I learned that this stuff thins your skin out. The cleanser that I used for 7 years started to burn. Every moisturizer (even Vaseline) made my face burn. I trashed any product that had exfoliators (i.e. micro beads, acids). I started washing my face with oatmeal and applied a sunscreen moisturizer. The severe dryness went away. The bumps have not returned."

Noothernickname December 19, 2015

For Acne: "This medicine has ruined my life. I hate myself when I look in the mirror. I am on my fifth month of .05% tretinoin cream and I am still getting acne and dry skin. During the two and three month part my acne was horrendous. Now I'm left with deep scars and self hatred. It's not worth the emotional damage at all. I don't even care about acne that much but this has made me depressed and miserable."

Rachell4778643 December 17, 2015

For Acne: "I came off antibiotics for acne when my dermatologist prescribed me tretinoin cream .025%. He told me to wash my face with benzoyl peroxide topical wash 2x a day, apply differin in the morning, & apply the tretinoin at night. He said coming off the antibiotics would initially cause me to break out but that it'd get better. It's been 4 months & the complete opposite has happened. The 1st 2 months I had almost no acne for the 1st time in my life. My skin was still dry, as it's always been, but using moisturizer helped with that. However, the last 4-6 weeks I've been suffering terribly from acne on my chin & cheeks. To make it worse, the area around the zits is extremely dry. I guess ill just keep using the cream, hopefully this is temporary."

20 yr old male (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2015

For Acne: "I purged for 5 months (horrible) before I became a flawless goddess! & what works AMAZING for me is when I wake up wash face & apply a thin layer of clindamycin benzoyl peroxide gel. After I can moisturize,prime & do makeup if I want or just not wear makeup that day it doesn't really matter. Then at night before bed a pea size amount of tretinoin, and then on top of it a thin layer of clindamycin benzoyl peroxide gel again.(if you think the pea size is not enough, it is ! The way to do it is to put the pea size in you finger and then dot it all over your face,like 2,3 dots on forehead 1 on nose 4 on each cheek 3 on chin&on neck, then spread/rub in everywhere) (I was twice a day with Dove bar unscented and use Clinique superdefense spf moisturizer:)"

Sara baby (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 12, 2015

For Acne: "I'm 18 years old and never really had bad acne. I started school and began to see a huge change in my skin, I started breaking out A LOT more then I ever had before. my dermatologist prescribed me clindamycine Phosphate and Tretinoin gel. I'm just a little bit past my one week mark and my skin is absolutely horrible to be honest. Everytime a pimples goes another one pops up somewhere else. I can't catch a break and I have a bunch of hideous dark spots and scars!! ): I was feeling super discouraged, but from reading all the other reviews I'm really hoping by 2 or 3 months my skin starts to clear up. Also my dermatologist assured me that the dark spots would fade. Time will only tell."

MDHair December 12, 2015

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I highly recommend this product to anyone suffering from acne! I started breaking out very badly and I was out on this cream by my dermatologist and I am so happy with the results its only been 5 days that I started using it and I am very happy with the results so far!"

rosaaa December 10, 2015