User Reviews for Tretinoin

Also known as: Altinac, Atralin, Avita, Obagi, Refissa, Renova, Retin A Micro, Retin-A, Retin-A and Renova, Retisol-A, Stieva-A, Stieva-A Forte, Tretin-X, Vitinoin

Learn more about Tretinoin.

Photoaging of the Skin 19 reviews 10 medications

8.8
Acne 200 reviews 519 medications

8.1
Summary of Tretinoin reviews 219 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Tretinoin

For Acne: "I've been on this Rx cream for almost a year now. I can say it is worked like a miracle on my acne and wrinkles. By the way I'm 26, but I did develop wrinkles around my smile line and under eyes and moderate acne on the both my cheeks when I was in early 20s. The Tretinoin definitely will make your skin looks worse than it originally was but it'd start clear up after 3-4 months with consistency. There would be peeling, purging and redness involves. Make sure apply Retin A 20 minutes after washing your face and applu sunscreen when you go out. I did not apply anything else on my face while working on my Retin A at that time. But yeah, Retin A or Tretinoin is a miracle product. I love it."

Michelle-Monkey April 21, 2016

For Acne: "I have used tretinoin 0.1 for about 3 weeks, it has made a little difference but based on all the experiences with this medicine it should make a great difference, patience is key!"

In progress tomato face April 21, 2016

For Acne: "I just have to share this with individuals struggling to keep their skin clear. I came off BC pills about 9 months ago. In fact, the BC pills were the only thing breaking me out, no matter what I used. I was only on these pills for about 8 months and decided to let them go!! The damage done afterwards was horrid!!!!!! If you need to find the right BC, let your Doctor know. But this Tretinoin 0.05% cream has been a blessing for me.This line really does help:) I only use Tretinoin 0.05% at night, This is my 3rd month in, but key is consistency use. The purge phase is awful, but my doctor told me it gets worse before it gets better! Stick it out:)"

Happygirl7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2016

For Acne: "Okay so my dermatologist just prescribed this medication for my skin today, however I do not have severe acne. I get breakouts near my menstrual period and thats it but it always leaves behind dark marks. So my biggest concern was having dark marks all over my face. Due to hearing all the complaints on here I will first test out a small area on my face and see how that works out. I suggest this for other people as well so you know what you are getting yourself into plus my graduation is in two weeks and I don't have time for breakouts that I wouldn't normally have."

Raineeee April 15, 2016

For Acne: "Holy crap. I don't write reviews, in fact I'm pretty sure this will be the first and quite possibly the last, but I have to share this with you... Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP. The first 3 months of using Tretinoin are going to be hell on earth. Your face is going to hurt, (all the time) you're going to want to hide, and you're going to want to cry yourself to sleep some nights. Acne hurts, emotionally, physically and mentally. BUT Tretinoin DOES help. I've been using this cream for about 3 1/2 months and guys, I have one zit. ONE. This cream "purges" your skin, a.k.a. every zit you ever thought you had comes to surface - at my worst I had 20+ whiteheads, not including the cystic bumps or tiny little red bumps. But now my face is clear!"

Anna T-bird April 11, 2016

For Acne: "So I started using the retrieve cream 0.5% about 2 months ago I started off with mild acne after day 1 of using the product my skin become worse I cannot hide it all I always have too go on here too read the reviews so I can stay positive about it working I also use cetaphil as my general face cleanser and cetaphil moisturiser to combat dryness has anyone else had there acne seem really bad using this product but then clear up at some point ??"

Kay-tee2020 April 7, 2016

For Acne: "Hi all, When I was beginning tretinoin, I visited pages like these. I am here to offer another success story. I am a 22 yo female and I had terrible skin. I felt like I had tried everything - spending buckets of money, too. I started tretinoin .05% in mid October 2015. I used it every night (don't do that! Start slow!) and had a terrible purge. I didn't date/go out for a period of several weeks. Make up made things worse. This went on for 12 weeks. Then by week 13, I had clear skin. I still have little red scars, and I get a tiny zit every once in awhile. But I don't wear makeup most days. This medicine will teach you patience. Another thing is it makes your routine so easy- light cleanser, tretinoin, done. No pricey masks, creams, etc."

Formerly ugly person (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 1, 2016

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "My experience with Retin-A has been a life saver! I have used it for at least 20 years. It has helped with my acne problems over time... But it also helped soften & vanish much scarring. I was also amazed at how fast it would help my lesions heal. It was recommended to me years ago by a dermatologist along with an Aqua Glycolic face wash. ( you get over the counter at the pharmacy only). My only complaint is how the price just went way up.... I was paying $33 and I went to pick up my prescription the other day and it went up to $79! And that was With a Pharmacy coupon. EEeek! I will continue to buy it... It saved my life!!"

CRJ March 22, 2016

For Acne: "This medication does work you just have to be patient. At first you're going to peel and be all red in the face,everytime I woke up and saw myself in the mirror I felt horrible from all the dryness but after sometime it does get better . I can truly say my skin is clearer and I see less acne as time goes by. The key point with this medication is patience at first you're going to look like a monster but after a few months you'll be looking Like a princess."

Samanthagg March 22, 2016

For Acne: "I am 28 yrs old. I have always suffered from acne from when I was in middle school. My pores are clogged they just look like bumps on my face. My dermatologist prescribed me tretinoin .025 cream and phloretin . I have sensitive skin so I use the tretinoin every 3rd night and the phloretin every morning. I am on week 9 and I have noticed changes for the better. I am experiencing redness and dry patches but it's tolerable. I do have breakouts in different spots then where I usually do. But my skin is clearing up. I am also getting compliments on my skin. I have now been using it every night because my dr. said .025 is a low dosage. Its def worth it to stick it out. Looking forward to the next couple months."

Rachel M (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2016

For Acne: "I started using this cream about 5 months ago for my moderate acne (.025) I started using it everyday after I washed my face before I went to bed. For the first 3 months or so my face became dry, red, and irritated. I used moisturizer to combat the dryness but it was irritating. Using my my old s acid face wash stung so bad. My acne also got worse during these first three months. A lot of whiteheads and bumps that never fully emerged. I pushed through thanks to these reviews and by the 4 month, things started looking up. Now my face is mostly clear and scars are beginning to fade and the irritation and dryness have improved a bit. To all you struggling, keep it up!"

byeacneh (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2016

Atralin (tretinoin) for Acne: "I am 27 and have always suffered from acne. I tried everything and was always disappointed as my breakouts continued. After a short stint with Spironolactone, my dermatologist said she wanted me on a topical and introduced me to Atralin. It took my skin a few weeks to get used to and probably 2 months for my breakouts to completely clear up. I haven't had a pimple in months. I finally feel comfortable enough to wear my hair up in public and can even go with no makeup. Great skin can really change your life!"

NewYork10036 February 13, 2016

For Acne: "I am 43. I've had acne since I was 12, and was very self conscious- especially at my age...I mean, how crappy is acne in your 40's and wrinkles? Ugh. I started taking tretinoin .05%. I had terrible peeling and dryness for a few months, but I noticed my face starting to get clearer. Was the drying and peeling worth it- to have dull skin is not cool. So.....I used an exfoiliating fash wash each morning and once a week used one of those face scrubby things in the shower. Also, I put on a moisturizer with SPF 30- that's important because this stuff will make you burn in the sun! That all worked for me! At around the 6 month time, there was no more acne- only a few zits around the time of my period- AND I get complements on my youthful skin!"

SookieGreen February 11, 2016

For Photoaging of the Skin: "I have been using the 0.05 tretinoin generic brand for two months. It has done a great improvement on my skin. The beginning was rough but I continued till my skin was adjusted and now I use it every night. It's cheaper in Mexico if you have a chance to get there."

Tretinoina user February 6, 2016

For Acne: "Had severe chronic acne for almost a decade.Despite my struggle I stayed away from Retin A and Tretinoin, because of reviews stating the horrible peeling, redness, and eventual ineffectiveness.Luckly a year ago I came across a heaven sent dermatologist, who understood this product and gave me specific care instructions not just "here put this on your face, good luck". Because of the severity of my acne I didn't see real results until 6 months in( most people see dramatic changes at 3 months).The months leading up to being clear were tough.I broke out WAY MORE then ever before.However, I at month 6 people started complementing my skin.And now at month 9,even the texture of my skin is firmer and more youthful( mine was adult acne)."

Finally Clear! February 5, 2016

For Acne: "My self esteem is non-existent right now! I have been using tetrinoin .025% for nearly 3 weeks now for cystic acne on my chin. While it has helped the cysts on my chin, my entire face has broken out. I'm getting pimples on my cheeks and I have never had a problem with pimples on my cheeks! About 2 weeks ago my skin was flawless and I was so excited about this medication, but now I don't know what to think. I am hoping this is just the "purge" stage that so many have mentioned. And that it ends soon. I am miserable! I am going back to my dermatologist in a week so I'll see what he says."

Kellibelli77 February 5, 2016

For Acne: "hello! I have written two reviews over the past ten months of using tretinoin 0.05 for my acne and I wanted to add some new advice! I realized, around last September, that I had been using foundation with salicylic acid in it which was slowing down my recovery!! I had changed all my face washes, moisturizers, and cleansers to ones without salicylic acid, but the foundation I used every day was actually making my skin worse! I was using the neutrogena skin clearing foundation, but now I am using the Est"

helpful tip! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2016

For Acne: "I have always had a problem with acne. My doctor recommended me this gel and I have to say I can see the results. I would pick at my pimples and I would have scars .Then as I started to use the gel there slowly fading. But I still have some acne on my forehead . Hopefully by the end of February my face is back to new ."

Girl batman (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2016

For Acne: "So I started breaking out a lot!!!! Chin and my cheeks. I have so many scars. My makeup won't even cover it.I went to my derm and she prescribed me tretinoin .25% and clindamycyn1%. I saw improvement in 2 weeks then after that my face has been so bad! I look like a Brooklyn pizza! It's hideous. I no longer have self esteem. I went back to derm and she gave me medication and .50%tretinoin. I'm on month two and my face just peels. I still break out and my acne scars are still there. I'm loosing hope... When I put makeup on over the dry peeling patches it makes it look worse. I'm just done with this medication. I will keep using it until month 3 like the derm said I would see improvement. I'm so depressed looking at my face in the mirror !!!"

Shar18 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2016

For Acne: "I am 30 years old and my acne and skin had gotten bad in the last year. My skin felt gross and clogged. I went to a dermatologist for the first time in Dec. of 2015 and he prescribed me Tretinoin .05 .. I did a ton of research on it first. I began using the cream little by little. First a couple times a week. Then 3, now I'm up to 4x a week. This helped so that my skin didn't freak out. Also start with a small amount, don't use it like a moisturizer and apply it only to dry skin, so wait 10 min. after washing your face. Anyways, it's only been a month but my skin is doing so much better. No breakouts. My skin feels soft, no little bumps. I haven't experienced bad side effects, only some dry skin, but I've been very careful."

SilviaM85 January 28, 2016

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "My 10 year old daughter started experiencing acne very suddenly and was getting teased at school. I took her to the dr who prescribed Retin A .025%. After a month there was not much improvement so she also started doxycycline. A month later we started noticing significant improvement. Now it's been 2 1/2 months on the retin A and about six weeks on the doxycycline and she is so happy, as am I. She still gets pimples here and there, but the huge patches of acne on her forehead and cheeks are gone. Her face is sensitive to the sun and gets red at times, but we will take the pink cheeks over the acne any day!! My advice is to be patient. It gets worse before it gets better!"

Sad Mom in CA (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2016

For Acne: "This worked fantastic for me, I had really bad acne, I put it on everyday at bedtime, and now my face is like brand new, no more acne or scars, my skin is like baby skin now. But you have to stick it out, it takes time for it to start working. You have to use it every day and after about 3 months you will start to see a big difference, and after 6 months to a year you will not believe your eyes. You will go thru the burning, redness and a lot of peeling in the first few months, but that's the signs of showing that it's working, but after a few months your skin will adapt, it did for me. I also used a skin moisturiser in the mornings to give my skin some relief before i went to work. I can't stress it enough that you have to STICK IT OUT."

Colt Rivers January 26, 2016

For Acne: "I have more acne as an adult then I had in my teenage years. I'm now 43 . Its all on the lower quarter of my face.. it is awful. More like cystic acne. I can not take antibiotics for acne due to my health issues. My dermatologist has tried it all. I find it very drying. And acne is not getting better. I've been on it a few months now and I've had it. I don't like anyone seeing me. This isn't working for me. So disappointing"

Tiger5230 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

Atralin (tretinoin) for Acne: "STICK IT OUT. How long? 3-4 months is the magic number! It takes 3-4 months to see ANY improvement. Up until then, expect more acne, dryness, peeling. However, the results are worth it. Good luck!"

Anonymous January 21, 2016

For Acne: "I am the mother of a 13 yr old boy. His face was bad. I would say he didn't have a clear spot on his face or back. And he was prescribed the tretinoin cream 0.025. And also an antibiotic called doxycycline mono 100mg. Doctor said give it a month and we would see a change. That was October 2015. It's now January and month 3/4 and his scars from picking his pimples are so faded you can barely see them. And his back is clear. We use both everyday. He will still get a pimple here and there but it has given him back his Confidence. The doctor said the longer you are on it the better."

mom of teen (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2016