User Reviews for Tretinoin

Also known as: Altinac, Atralin, Avita, Refissa, Renova, Retin A Micro, Retin-A, Retin-A and Renova, Retisol-A, Stie Vaa Forte, Stievaa, Tretin-X, Vitinoin

Learn more about Tretinoin.

Photoaging of the Skin 9 reviews 12 medications

9.1
Acne 68 reviews 506 medications

8.1
Lichen Sclerosus 0 reviews 76 medications Not rated - Be the first
Necrobiosis Lipoidica Diabeticorum 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Tretinoin reviews 77 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Tretinoin

Review by Gambit (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: I'm a 20 year old male and I have what they call "mild acne". My face was covered in small bumps and little whiteheads. I've been on tretinoin .025% for 3 weeks and my face is already 90% clear. I never went through an initial breakout and so far my face hasn't become sensitive to sunlight. I even went sunbathing a few times with no trouble. This worked very very fast and cleared about 60% of my hyperpigmentation so far. I swear it even reduced some wrinkles! My complexion looks a lot healthier and I'm proud to finally say that I can look in the mirror without fear anymore! I couldn't have asked for a better product. Highly recommended for mild adult acne.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 4:03 PM

Review by carlyyyyy (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: I had cysitic acne that would pop up mainly around my chin and sometimes my cheeks. I've been to many dermatologists and have tried so many solutions. I've tried Proactiv, Acayna cream, and antibiotics, but nothing seemed to show a significant improvement. Once I was prescribed Tretinoin Cream, 0.025%, I was truly skeptical as to how much it would improve my scarring and acne. Now, after about only 3 and a half weeks of using it, I couldn't be more pleased. My scars have significantly faded, I have 0 pimples. My face looks amazing. I can literally walk around without makeup. I don't remember the last time I could do that! I HIGHLY recommend this product to anyone who has bad scarring, or acne.

July 2, 2014 6:56 PM

Review by Dreamgirl79 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Atralin (tretinoin) for Acne: I have never written a review about a product until now! I'm a 34 year old female & started getting chin acne in my late twenties- nothing helped, I tried everything from Proactiv to Tretonion to antibiotics! About 4 months ago my dermatologist put me on Atralin & oh my what a difference in 4 months! I even go without makeup now! I never get a pimple now it's wonderful & it makes my skin look Dewey & hydrated not dried out & flakey as with the Tretonion I tried. Highly recommend Atralin!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2014 8:36 PM

Review by AAG (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: 10 MONTH RETIN-A USER : In the begining of summer 2013 I had the worst break out ever! My forehead was full of pimples. I couldn't stand it anymore so I went to go see my doctor and he prescribed me Retin-A. It says to apply everyday over night after washing your face. So I applied it every night and the first three weeks my acne was okay by the second month I had another mild breakout but by the third month it began to calm down again. By the fourth the skin around my nose started to peel and it was very itchy. Because of this I applied alchol free/ fragrance free lotion and my skin got better. By the 6th month my acne was under control! I only had a couple of pimples here & there. But the product works wonders! It just takes patience!

April 6, 2014 5:06 AM

Review by EPPNYC:

For Acne: I started breaking out when I got to college. I decided to address the problem before it got worse, even though the acne wasn't that bad. She gave me a prescription for Tretinoin X cream. I put it on every night. The first week, I felt like someone had rubbed sandpaper across my face. It was AWFUL. My skin was red and irritated and it hurt like hell even when nothing was touching it. The next week, the pain and irritation slowly subsided. The following, my face erupted in pimples. That lasted into the fourth week. It was worse than it had ever been. After that, my face magically cleared up. It was amazing. Except for a very few minor spots, my skin is nearly flawless. The beginning sucks, but STICK IT OUT. You won't regret it.

March 9, 2014 7:40 PM

Review by tomgg:

For Acne: I tried tretinoin 0.05% a year ago and I stopped as it didn't have any effect no side effects either. So I went back to the doctor a month ago and the doctor said it can take up to 6 months before I could see any results but it's worth doing. So I used the same cream and again I didn't notice any results until 3 weeks which gave dramatic improvement. It hasn't dried out my skin. My advice is stick at this medicine for at least 6 months because it's worth it. Take doxycycline antibiotics at early stages to help with negative side effects of acne getting worse in early stages.

March 9, 2014 6:34 AM

Review by nyc967:

For Acne: I used to use Retin A, but the side effects were so bad - my dermatologist recommended the Lady Soma Serum and Lady Soma Somatique Face Wash. It has Retinol Vitamin A in it, WITHOUT the side effects of Retin A. For those of you actually using Retin A, here is my routine... Wash with Lady Soma Somatique Face Wash - then apply the Lady Soma Renewal Serum. In the morning I wash again with this Lady Soma Wash. The Lady Soma stuff also seems to be helping with the intial breakout I got from the Retin A (have not had acne in years! was put on the Retin A for sun damage & fine lines).

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2014 7:54 PM

Review by Josh112788:

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: So about five months ago or so I asked my esthetician for some Retin-A (tretinoin) cream and she gave me the 1% concentration. I had moderate acne when I was younger, but I didn't leave it alone. Haha. I picked at it, and so I have some "mild" (Or so I'm told -I think it's terrible!) scarring now even though my acne went away with age. I'm 25 now. Acne went away at about 19. Some are pockmarks, and others just discoloration and a little uneven texture. I jumped straight to everyday use. Expected irritation and redness, but none came. My (sensitive) skin handled it awesomely. Product works great. Skin peels off every morning. Haha. Scars are fading nicely. Pockmarks much less depressed. I get compliments on my skin now!

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2013 10:34 PM

Review by Tretinoin cream 0.1%:

For Acne: Been using every night 30 minutes after washing my face for 2 months now and have not seen any improvements yet.

December 26, 2013 12:37 AM

Review by CDM49:

For Photoaging of the Skin: I have Irish skin whatever that means, kind of pearl white ha ha and I've lost a lot of weight so yeah the wrinkly's come out more, I apply Bio Oil before the gel dries and penetrates the skin. The secret is to be constant and not over do it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 25, 2013 5:05 PM

Review by Nanchie:

For Acne: Amazing! I had horrible acne about 5 years ago. Big cysts ALL over my face! When I used tretinoin my face cleared up significantly. However I stopped using it for 1 year and I have acne again. I am now using Retin-A and I hope it gives the same results.

November 30, 2013 1:49 AM

Review by sangta:

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: I started getting small bumps, (not exactly pimples, but should be taken care of immediately else it would grow into pimples later) on my forehead and chin areas. It started to spread in cheeks too. I first started using Retin-A cream. Initially I had lots of new breakouts, but didn't give up my patience. New breakouts started to fade out on continuous application at only nights after cleansing with Episoft lotion. After a month I started applying Retin-A, My skin texture, pimple marks, uneven skin tone has improved drastically. Only thing is use this product only at night after proper cleansing. Initially this will cause skin peeling and irritation.

November 26, 2013 4:27 AM

Review by Soonia:

For Acne: I've been using tretinoin last 3 months & this worked great on my face but now little pimples back & goes away quick , my only problem is my face get so much dryness I don't know what I should do??? Pls help

November 6, 2013 8:31 PM

Review by mgatz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I'm a 20 year old male, and I've had mild acne since I was 13. After going on antibiotics (pill and cream) in high school, my acne got somewhat better. After not being on anything for the past 2 years, in the last several months my acne flared up again, and I was getting surface spots and painful cysts. A dermatologist put me on Doryx, Benzclyn and tretinoin 0.5 cream. I saw initial improvement with the antibiotics as I was getting less inflammation. However, my skin problem has always been more about an inability to shed dead skin Let me tell you, 6 weeks after using tretinoin, my skin has never looked better and it is continually improving. I still am getting an occasional spot or two, but the texture of my skin is so much softer and spot

November 3, 2013 5:56 PM

Review by LChez:

Atralin (tretinoin) for Acne: Atralin is an amazing ointment for acne prone, sensitive skin. I got a prescription for the topical gel because I was having mild to moderate breakouts and had acne scarring that had occurred before I went on Accutane. My skin is very sensitive, so I needed a mild gel. Every night I put a pea sized amount into my palm, mixed it with a small amount of my facial night cream, dabbed bits of the mixture all over my face and neck and then applied my night cream as usual. At first I was discouraged because I was very consistent with my regime and did not see results for many weeks. Then, after about three months of daily use, my acne and acne scarring began to clear up dramatically. I have not had a blemish in months!

October 21, 2013 10:32 PM

Review by sassamouth (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Acne: Be patient. First few weeks it got a little worse, than it has been clear since and I've been using it for 6 months! Made black heads disappear and scars clear and no acne at all! Great product.

September 19, 2013 4:31 PM

Review by angi3:

For Acne: This is amazing. I have used it for 2 weeks and I'm shocked at how nice my skin looks. I haven't had to wear any concealer! I have fair, extremely sensitive skin and I think most of the horrible reactions people are getting from this are due to the person not using it correctly. At night after I wash my face I wait 20 mins so my skin is dry and has calmed down, and then apply a tiny amount of the cream to my problem areas (cheeks, nose, chin, around my mouth, forehead). You do NOT want to slather this stuff like benzoyl peroxide and you don't want to put it on a wet, inflamed face...then yes it will sting and burn.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 9, 2013 1:17 PM

Review by ram994:

For Acne: This is my first time posting on this site. Anyway, I am writing this because this is the only topical cream that has worked for me. I've tried many medications, but they would either not work or make my acne even worse. Tretinoin, on the other hand, worked in less than a week, and I could see my acne completely go away after two weeks. The only bad thing is that this made my skin peel really bad. It would sometimes cause my skin to sting a little when I washed it.

August 16, 2013 5:59 PM

Review by LeeleeR (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Acne: I've been using Tretinoin (0.05 %) for one year now to treat acne on my back, which I had not been able to get rid of with any other topical cream for the past seven years. At first, the Tretinoin cream dried out my skin to the point where it was peeling. I gently exfoliated every morning and used an oil-free moisturizing gel, which helped quite a bit. Then, my acne got worse for a month. However, since I do not feel comfortable using oral medication, I stuck with it and after 6 months my acne was 80% better! There are certain times of the month when some acne does come back, but in general this medication has drastically improved the appearance of my skin. I continue to use it every evening because otherwise the acne seems to return.

August 14, 2013 8:48 PM

Review by Yangg (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I had severe acne since 5th grade and I am in my early 20's, now still having trouble with acne. I went to the dermatologist back in April and I told him that I had tried everything so he prescribed me tretinoin cream 0.05%. I didn't break out more or have any other side effects the other people were saying about but I do have sensitive skin. The first 3 months were like a roller coaster. The acne went away, then it came back, and so on. When the 4th month came in, all my acne disappeared! I was so happy that I stick with it and you should too. It may take a while but it truly works. I have tried everything from pills to creams and this is the only one that works! Oh and your face does get dry, and always remember to put sunscreen in the morning.

August 13, 2013 8:46 AM

Review by spencder (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: A ton of reviews consisted of people saying this product just dried their skin out and made them break out way worse. In those reviews most of them also stated they started using this cream every other day from the start. Dont! I have not had the same experience. My dermatologist told me to start by using this cream once a week for the first two weeks and then gradually increase up to every other day if needed. I started this cream 3 weeks ago using it once a week for two weeks and now have started using it twice a week. I haven't had peeling, burning or redness, and I've actually seen my acne improve already! I will use it twice a week for another 2 weeks and then use it 3 times a week. It appears better to think long term, not a quick fix.

July 23, 2013 4:36 PM

Review by Sammieee:

Atralin (tretinoin) for Acne: I had pretty mild acne in high school but nothing more than a few pimples that I could treat with over the counter medication. I went on birth control and my skin got out of control. I went to college with the absolute worst acne I have ever seen. My face was literally covered and I picked at it all the time. It was a mess. I was prescribed Atralin at night and Acanya in the morning. My skin started clearing up in about a month and within two months it was about 50% better. After about 3-4 months on the product my skin made a complete turn around and my marks are faded. Thank God for this skin care regime. I can finally go outside without make up and I am so much more confident.

July 10, 2013 6:32 PM

Review by Piano Girly (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: I've had pretty bad acne since I was 12, now I am 18 years old. I would usually get it between my eye brows, cheeks, jaw line, and chin. My nose and forehead have always been clear just a few blackheads on my nose but never bumps. I have tried so many things, I was prescribed antibiotics first and it didn't do anything because they were not bacterial. I started using tretinoin cream 0.025% for only one week and my skin is better than ever. I had surface scars, not deep ones and they are already lighter. Also, the acne that was present has gotten a lot smaller and lighter and I have not gotten any new bumps in a week! I usually have a couple new ones every morning. I have also not had any irritation or peeling.

July 9, 2013 8:31 AM

Review by AG12 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Photoaging of the Skin: I'm using Retin-a 0.025 gel version of tretinoin. My review is more of an encouragement rather than full review. My full review will happen after at least a year of usage. Current usage - 2 months. So, you see, within 2 months of usage already deserves a 8 score rating from me. I could easily give it higher but I rather wait for my full review. Now, I have read many of what the users said here and on the Internet. It will be best for new users not to pay too much attention of users below 2 months of usage. Because all you hear is pain, breakout, worries and eventually the key way they use = give up. It's your choice. But please read those who have actually used tretinoin for at least 6 months.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2013 12:12 PM

Review by acne12 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Acne: I have had oily skin with tiny zits on my forehead and terrible HUGE pimples on my cheeks for the past 8 years. The pimples would come and go and leave terrible marks and red spots. I was put on minocycline, tretinoin 0.5% and Benzoyl Peroxide wash 10%. 3 days later I got off of mino after reading terrible reviews. I started seeing the results only 3 months later: my zits were completely gone, my skin was smooth and very soft and I was not getting ANY pimples anymore, but the red spots were still there. 6 months later I got off of Benzoyl Peroxide, using it only once a week. Now, its been 7 months now, and I'm VERY happy with the results. My red spots are fading. I'm not getting ANY pimples, my skin is super soft and clear!

May 6, 2013 3:28 PM