User Reviews for Tretinoin

Also known as: Altinac, Atralin, Avita, Obagi, Refissa, Renova, Retin A Micro, Retin-A, Retin-A and Renova, Retisol-A, Stieva-A, Stieva-A Forte, Tretin-X, Vitinoin

Learn more about Tretinoin.

Photoaging of the Skin 19 reviews 10 medications

8.8
Acne 208 reviews 519 medications

8.1
Summary of Tretinoin reviews 227 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Tretinoin

For Acne: "Hey, I'm 18 years old and have been struggling with acne since I was 10. When I first started tretinoin, my skin broke out and was peeling for about a week or two. I started seeing a lot of improvement by the end of the first month. I've been on tretinoin for almost two months now and have barely any acne. Only one noticiable pimple next to my nose. I still have a few tiny white bumps along my hairline, but I'm sure they will go away with time. One thing I have to say is DON'T use more than a pea sized amount. If you use more than that, it dries your skin out and it peels even more, especially around the mouth area. I wish you good luck and I hope you achieve the same results as me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2016

For Acne: "Hi I'm 14 and I've been on many different prescriptions for my acne. It started 2 years ago and got increasingly worse. Now I'm stuck with the scars, and lumps and bumps everywhere! My doctor gave me this and at first it just got worse. After a month I saw an extremely minuscule change. Slowly but surely my acne started to get better. I'm still on it and I see improvements everyday!"

Jani.mc (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2016

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "This product is amazing. I'm 19 years old and after going on the pill my acne became terrible. I got cysts all over my cheeks and chin that left terrible scarring and I continued to break out constantly. My doctor prescribed Retin-A and I was a little apprehensive at first because some people were saying that it made their acne worse. But I was so sick of looking at the scars on my face and I had tried everything to fade them and nothing did. So I started using Retin-A and it worked right away. I've been using it for two weeks and some of my scars are completely gone and others continue to fade. I also haven't broken out at all since I started using it. I wish I had found it sooner because it's truly wonderful."

Anonymous May 25, 2016

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I've dealt with moderate acne since I was roughly 12 years old. I've tried just about every acne treatment out there with no prevail. When I started my Retin-A (0.025) treatment 5 months ago I became really discouraged by my skins immediate discolouration, mostly red, and the flakiness it created. I came close a couple times to giving up, especially when my skin wasn't clearing up and how sore I was some days from the continuous use. But this past month has been the turn around. I feel I am finally out of the so called 'purge' and my skin is becoming clear and smooth like it has been in past for short stints. The best advice I can give any user is to have patience. It's not an overnight fix, but the long term results are worth it."

samkkamuel May 17, 2016

For Acne: "Hi I am 34 and so happy I saw these comments! I was supposed to continue this product 5 months ago but I clearly did not listen to my Dermatologist and gave up after a week. My chin hurt so bad and I could not get past why it gets worse before getting better! So after my follow up and her asking about it and me saying I threw it out.. She wrote me another script and told me to do it. Now I am back where I started and am hurting like crazy. I hope your all right and I will heal within a few months. Acne is no fun and never had until my 30s."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2016

For Acne: "I'm 13 years old with lots of acne i do lots of sports and I got back acne very bad I became self conscious . it really sucked I didn't not wear muscle shirts for months because of the emberessing acne on my back...I told my doctor and she told me about trentinoin cream..which I've been using for a few weeks it has been working great.The only thing is Im peeling and itching.bad at times...I see lots of improvement but this is something you have to be patient about..summer is coming. And I don't wanna be covered up all summer lol I recommend the product..just remember stay patient and clam and it willl clear up in no time "

jazzy jay (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2016

For Acne: "OK so I am 13 and I am in eighth grade right now and I'm here to tell you the story of how I got bullied in school because of the bad acne that I had and a whole bunch of black spots but then a merical happened when I got onto this medication my face totally cleared up and I just had a couple of months like three months and the results are so good and I can show everybody Who made fun of me that you know like look now you get to see the real me trust me this medication really works just when you feel like you're about to lose hope that's when you don't this medication has improved my confidence I feel better in my own skin and I like my skin now"

Got bullied because of acne (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2016

Atralin (tretinoin) for Acne: "I had clear skin up until about age 18 when I went on birth control and my skin got pretty out of control. I'm 20 now and finally went to the doctor. They gave me Atralin and 14 days of 100mg doxycycline once daily. I've been using Atralin for about 2-3 weeks now, I started seeing results immediately. My skin did get a little dry and flaky, but finding a good moisturizer really helped that. I quit using Atralin for about a week after getting really sick and I did break out with some whiteheads once I started applying it again. Those went away pretty quickly though. This stuff is AMAZING. I look forward to using it every night and I don't get upset when I look in the mirror anymore! Definitely recommend this! I love it!!"

Halz123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2016

For Acne: "I've been on this Rx cream for almost a year now. I can say it is worked like a miracle on my acne and wrinkles. By the way I'm 26, but I did develop wrinkles around my smile line and under eyes and moderate acne on the both my cheeks when I was in early 20s. The Tretinoin definitely will make your skin looks worse than it originally was but it'd start clear up after 3-4 months with consistency. There would be peeling, purging and redness involves. Make sure apply Retin A 20 minutes after washing your face and applu sunscreen when you go out. I did not apply anything else on my face while working on my Retin A at that time. But yeah, Retin A or Tretinoin is a miracle product. I love it."

Michelle-Monkey April 21, 2016

For Acne: "I have used tretinoin 0.1 for about 3 weeks, it has made a little difference but based on all the experiences with this medicine it should make a great difference, patience is key!"

In progress tomato face April 21, 2016

For Acne: "I just have to share this with individuals struggling to keep their skin clear. I came off BC pills about 9 months ago. In fact, the BC pills were the only thing breaking me out, no matter what I used. I was only on these pills for about 8 months and decided to let them go!! The damage done afterwards was horrid!!!!!! If you need to find the right BC, let your Doctor know. But this Tretinoin 0.05% cream has been a blessing for me.This line really does help:) I only use Tretinoin 0.05% at night, This is my 3rd month in, but key is consistency use. The purge phase is awful, but my doctor told me it gets worse before it gets better! Stick it out:)"

Happygirl7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2016

For Acne: "Okay so my dermatologist just prescribed this medication for my skin today, however I do not have severe acne. I get breakouts near my menstrual period and thats it but it always leaves behind dark marks. So my biggest concern was having dark marks all over my face. Due to hearing all the complaints on here I will first test out a small area on my face and see how that works out. I suggest this for other people as well so you know what you are getting yourself into plus my graduation is in two weeks and I don't have time for breakouts that I wouldn't normally have."

Raineeee April 15, 2016

For Acne: "Holy crap. I don't write reviews, in fact I'm pretty sure this will be the first and quite possibly the last, but I have to share this with you... Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP. The first 3 months of using Tretinoin are going to be hell on earth. Your face is going to hurt, (all the time) you're going to want to hide, and you're going to want to cry yourself to sleep some nights. Acne hurts, emotionally, physically and mentally. BUT Tretinoin DOES help. I've been using this cream for about 3 1/2 months and guys, I have one zit. ONE. This cream "purges" your skin, a.k.a. every zit you ever thought you had comes to surface - at my worst I had 20+ whiteheads, not including the cystic bumps or tiny little red bumps. But now my face is clear!"

Anna T-bird April 11, 2016

For Acne: "So I started using the retrieve cream 0.5% about 2 months ago I started off with mild acne after day 1 of using the product my skin become worse I cannot hide it all I always have too go on here too read the reviews so I can stay positive about it working I also use cetaphil as my general face cleanser and cetaphil moisturiser to combat dryness has anyone else had there acne seem really bad using this product but then clear up at some point ??"

Kay-tee2020 April 7, 2016

For Acne: "Hi all, When I was beginning tretinoin, I visited pages like these. I am here to offer another success story. I am a 22 yo female and I had terrible skin. I felt like I had tried everything - spending buckets of money, too. I started tretinoin .05% in mid October 2015. I used it every night (don't do that! Start slow!) and had a terrible purge. I didn't date/go out for a period of several weeks. Make up made things worse. This went on for 12 weeks. Then by week 13, I had clear skin. I still have little red scars, and I get a tiny zit every once in awhile. But I don't wear makeup most days. This medicine will teach you patience. Another thing is it makes your routine so easy- light cleanser, tretinoin, done. No pricey masks, creams, etc."

Formerly ugly person (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 1, 2016

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "My experience with Retin-A has been a life saver! I have used it for at least 20 years. It has helped with my acne problems over time... But it also helped soften & vanish much scarring. I was also amazed at how fast it would help my lesions heal. It was recommended to me years ago by a dermatologist along with an Aqua Glycolic face wash. ( you get over the counter at the pharmacy only). My only complaint is how the price just went way up.... I was paying $33 and I went to pick up my prescription the other day and it went up to $79! And that was With a Pharmacy coupon. EEeek! I will continue to buy it... It saved my life!!"

CRJ March 22, 2016

For Acne: "This medication does work you just have to be patient. At first you're going to peel and be all red in the face,everytime I woke up and saw myself in the mirror I felt horrible from all the dryness but after sometime it does get better . I can truly say my skin is clearer and I see less acne as time goes by. The key point with this medication is patience at first you're going to look like a monster but after a few months you'll be looking Like a princess."

Samanthagg March 22, 2016

For Acne: "I am 28 yrs old. I have always suffered from acne from when I was in middle school. My pores are clogged they just look like bumps on my face. My dermatologist prescribed me tretinoin .025 cream and phloretin . I have sensitive skin so I use the tretinoin every 3rd night and the phloretin every morning. I am on week 9 and I have noticed changes for the better. I am experiencing redness and dry patches but it's tolerable. I do have breakouts in different spots then where I usually do. But my skin is clearing up. I am also getting compliments on my skin. I have now been using it every night because my dr. said .025 is a low dosage. Its def worth it to stick it out. Looking forward to the next couple months."

Rachel M (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2016

For Acne: "I started using this cream about 5 months ago for my moderate acne (.025) I started using it everyday after I washed my face before I went to bed. For the first 3 months or so my face became dry, red, and irritated. I used moisturizer to combat the dryness but it was irritating. Using my my old s acid face wash stung so bad. My acne also got worse during these first three months. A lot of whiteheads and bumps that never fully emerged. I pushed through thanks to these reviews and by the 4 month, things started looking up. Now my face is mostly clear and scars are beginning to fade and the irritation and dryness have improved a bit. To all you struggling, keep it up!"

byeacneh (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2016

Atralin (tretinoin) for Acne: "I am 27 and have always suffered from acne. I tried everything and was always disappointed as my breakouts continued. After a short stint with Spironolactone, my dermatologist said she wanted me on a topical and introduced me to Atralin. It took my skin a few weeks to get used to and probably 2 months for my breakouts to completely clear up. I haven't had a pimple in months. I finally feel comfortable enough to wear my hair up in public and can even go with no makeup. Great skin can really change your life!"

NewYork10036 February 13, 2016

For Acne: "I am 43. I've had acne since I was 12, and was very self conscious- especially at my age...I mean, how crappy is acne in your 40's and wrinkles? Ugh. I started taking tretinoin .05%. I had terrible peeling and dryness for a few months, but I noticed my face starting to get clearer. Was the drying and peeling worth it- to have dull skin is not cool. So.....I used an exfoiliating fash wash each morning and once a week used one of those face scrubby things in the shower. Also, I put on a moisturizer with SPF 30- that's important because this stuff will make you burn in the sun! That all worked for me! At around the 6 month time, there was no more acne- only a few zits around the time of my period- AND I get complements on my youthful skin!"

SookieGreen February 11, 2016

For Photoaging of the Skin: "I have been using the 0.05 tretinoin generic brand for two months. It has done a great improvement on my skin. The beginning was rough but I continued till my skin was adjusted and now I use it every night. It's cheaper in Mexico if you have a chance to get there."

Tretinoina user February 6, 2016

For Acne: "Had severe chronic acne for almost a decade.Despite my struggle I stayed away from Retin A and Tretinoin, because of reviews stating the horrible peeling, redness, and eventual ineffectiveness.Luckly a year ago I came across a heaven sent dermatologist, who understood this product and gave me specific care instructions not just "here put this on your face, good luck". Because of the severity of my acne I didn't see real results until 6 months in( most people see dramatic changes at 3 months).The months leading up to being clear were tough.I broke out WAY MORE then ever before.However, I at month 6 people started complementing my skin.And now at month 9,even the texture of my skin is firmer and more youthful( mine was adult acne)."

Finally Clear! February 5, 2016

For Acne: "My self esteem is non-existent right now! I have been using tetrinoin .025% for nearly 3 weeks now for cystic acne on my chin. While it has helped the cysts on my chin, my entire face has broken out. I'm getting pimples on my cheeks and I have never had a problem with pimples on my cheeks! About 2 weeks ago my skin was flawless and I was so excited about this medication, but now I don't know what to think. I am hoping this is just the "purge" stage that so many have mentioned. And that it ends soon. I am miserable! I am going back to my dermatologist in a week so I'll see what he says."

Kellibelli77 February 5, 2016

For Acne: "hello! I have written two reviews over the past ten months of using tretinoin 0.05 for my acne and I wanted to add some new advice! I realized, around last September, that I had been using foundation with salicylic acid in it which was slowing down my recovery!! I had changed all my face washes, moisturizers, and cleansers to ones without salicylic acid, but the foundation I used every day was actually making my skin worse! I was using the neutrogena skin clearing foundation, but now I am using the Est"

helpful tip! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2016