Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Depression

Review by BME (taken for 5 to 10 years):

trazodone: I was in a deep dark hole into which no light or joy came no matter what nice and kind things my family did to help. I had uuncontrollable crying bouts that might occur at any time. A friend told me Desyrel had helped her so I asked my doctor for a scrip. From the first dose I knew I was on to something. Slept well, woke rested did not interfer with intimacy with husband. Was mentally alert but took couple cups of coffee to get going. Did have moderate headache that went away in couple hours. Suddenly I was interested in life again, was able to resume handling our finances, organizing house, outings with friends. Was great. But after some time came.....weight gain, edema, and stomach on fire...slept in recliner lots. Not for long use.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 11, 2014 5:16 PM
Review by Gomattgo (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

trazodone: Before taking Trazodone I could not fall asleep at night, I began resorting to drinking just to fall asleep at night and that alone has it's fair share of negative consequences. Literally the first night I took a 50mg Trazodone I was able to fall asleep and stay asleep. I've been on the medication for nearly a month now and I can happily say that I can't remember the last time I've felt this great! I don't feel the need to drink whatsoever. I fall asleep within 30 minutes of taking the tablet, I stay asleep, and I wake up well rested with a much more positive outlook on life! I can't wait to see what the future holds. I strongly recommend this medication for anyone suffering from depression, anxiety, and/or sleep deprivation.

March 17, 2014 1:02 PM
Review by Sandy Madagasgar: User Rating:

trazodone: I started this medication when I was experiencing flashbacks to trauma and I would wake up in a sweat, screaming or sleepwalking. I take many other medications to help with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, depression and bipolar. It worked wonderfully well for 7 years. I stopped taking this when I got a new doctor as she wanted to lower my dose of medications. I have now been consistently having nightmares and am hitting, kicking and punching my husband at night. He wakes me to this. I feel terrible about this because my husband has been a wonderful support for the last 20 years. I want to go back on trazodone. Its the only thing that will work for me.

January 5, 2014 2:40 PM
Review by BC chic..: User Rating:

trazodone: I was a basket case, I cried every day for no reason. A commercial would set me off, my emotions we're out of control and I knew it but I couldn't stop it. I couldn't sleep either. My doctor then put me on trazodone, within three days I was starting to feel like my old safe again. I was on it for years. I tried to get off but the same thing happened again, so I went back on trazodone. For me, it works. I hate taking pills but sometimes you have to.

December 5, 2013 1:35 PM
Review by T Alger: User Rating:

trazodone: After many, many years of taking Zoloft for depression, It got to a point where it was not as helpful as it once was. I visited my doctor who put me on trazodone as a booster to the Zoloft that I was still taking. In 2 weeks I noticed the difference. I no longer feel depressed and feel more like my old self again. The only side effect I have had is a little blurred vision...I'll take that any day over depression.

December 4, 2013 2:09 PM
Review by angels11: User Rating:

trazodone: I had a near on full nervous breakdown, I had been months without sleep and suffered depression. What I do find is that if you are woken half way through the night then there is no going back to sleep. Having stayed away from home recently and forgetting to take tablets with me, I ended up staying awake all night long. Cannot sleep without taking trazodone.

November 21, 2013 6:02 AM
Review by Lorincz: User Rating:

trazodone: This has been a miracle for me going through horrid menopause with terrible anxiety, worry and deep depression. I have been to point of wanting to end my life. I have tried over dozens of anti-depressants along with anti-anxiety meds but they made me feel worse. Now I am taking trazodone along with a couple of glasses of red wine along with Jasmine. The hot flashes are pretty much have gone away and get to sleep too. The anxiety and depression is now manageable thank God!! I would encourage all women do not allow your doctor to prescribe any benzos. It caused most of depression. The side effects were just horrible!!! It took me many months to overcome them. I had flu like symptoms and deep deep depression get ting of of them.

November 9, 2013 11:00 PM
Review by keep hoping to be normal (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

trazodone: I take effexor, lamictal, ativan which are not helping too much. My doc gave me Trazodone to help with sleeping. I feel very groggy when waking up. It's not helping me with depression but helps me sleep.

October 20, 2013 1:14 PM
Review by anorexicxheart (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

trazodone: I started taking this a few days ago to replace Seroquel for depression and insomnia. It was terrible the first day it made me so dizzy I couldn't even sit up and after that it just made me drowsy I couldn't sleep at all and had to resort to taking Seroquel.

September 19, 2013 12:43 PM

trazodone: MY experience with this trazodone medication is not for me. I'm epileptic, it interferes with my Keppra.

August 6, 2013 3:46 PM
Review by Mart72: User Rating:

trazodone: Take 100mg a hour before bed with good sleep results. Mornings can be foggy but nothing a few coffees won't fix. As for daytime results can feel the depression lifting with reduced anxiety (no mania,) this medication a life saver great stuff.

July 25, 2013 2:49 PM
Review by Rob CC: User Rating:

trazodone: My psychiatrist put me on this over Seroquel which had been causing my white blood cell count to drop. I had been on Seroquel for years, and was able to function on it. Not so with Trazodone. The 50 mg I started on put me to sleep, but I felt really groggy the next day. I've tried lowering the dose to 25 mg and I still feel absolutely tired. Some of the side effects I've had: bad cough, runny nose (at times), feeling like I have a constant mild headache, feeling disconnected sexually, sweatiness, and the last one is the most bothersome--erectile dysfunction. Sometimes, I can get a full erection, and sometimes I can only get about 3/4 of the way there. I'm going to fight to get back on the Seroquel which I still have and never caused any erectile dysfunction.

July 24, 2013 5:10 PM
Review by nikkkiii 27years old (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

trazodone: I got a severe migraine after taking it once. I ended up going to the hospital to get a needle to ease the pain.

June 24, 2013 10:43 PM
Review by It worked for me (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

trazodone: Trazodone has worked fine for me so far. My doctor is treating me for anxiety, depression, and interrupted sleep. My experience is that after an hour of taking this medication I'm ready for bed and fall asleep throughout the night. I also sleep throughout the morning getting a total of 10-11 hours which is what concerns me, and also wake up a little disoriented but after 5-10 minutes (walking around thinking about breakfast/lunch) it goes away. I'm used to taking the medication around 11pm and be in bed by 12am which can be the reason of waking up late, so tonight I'm going to take it at 9am and hopefully go to bed by 10pm and I should be up by 8am and ready to eat and go for a swim.

May 11, 2013 4:25 PM
Review by freednerd (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

trazodone: One of my favorite medicines of all time. I have taken this for depression/bipolar disorder, insomnia, and currently fibromyalgia. It is the only anti-depressant I have found that I can take and not start swinging toward the manic side. I actually feel more refreshed and get a good night's sleep after I take it. I will note that I do not normally take it for long periods of time- only when I need it (this may be days, weeks, or months). There is no withdrawal and you do not have to dose up or down with safety concerns.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 27, 2013 1:05 PM
Review by Smorr10700: User Rating:

trazodone: I was on 100mg of Trazodone for sleep and worked pretty good. But my depression got worse and I dreaded going back on the various anti-depressants I had tried and eventually discontinued due to side effects or things improving in my life. I'm now on 150 mg of Trazodone and it is clearly making a difference. It's not a magic wand to make everything better, but allows the "fog" of depression to lift a bit so you can see and feel more normal. Side effects less than other anti-depressants and helps me sleep. Yeah!

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 22, 2013 11:31 PM
Review by Suckerpunch Amber (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Oleptro (trazodone): Gave me restless, crawly legs on 50mg. It was very sedating 12 wks ago. Broke it in half and that worked for 4 weeks, then no sedation at all and BAD night sweats. Made me very foggy the following day, and palpitations half the time. Hangover headaches too.

February 14, 2013 1:20 AM
Review by nauseous nancy: User Rating:

Desyrel (trazodone): Trazodone felt good at night, and I slept well, but I would be so nauseous the next day that all I could eat was crackers and drink 7up, and I got the poops.

February 9, 2013 4:48 PM
Review by jan46 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

trazodone: I have been taking trazodone for 6 years now. The only side effect I get is a dry mouth so always take a drink to bed. It works so well because I don't have to lie in bed for hours with all the things going round and round my head. My dosage varies from 50 mg to 150 mg depending on how bad my depression is. I also have a friend who used to drink heavily who started taking trazodone and he hardly drinks at all now.

October 26, 2012 8:13 PM
Review by SaraxoJDqt (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

trazodone: Helps with my depression (started noticing improvement at 23 days) and also makes me sleep like a baby. MUST TAKE BEFORE BED! Otherwise I will have blurry vision and I will be incoherent within 10 minutes. Also, normally I'm a light sleeper but you could probably push me off my bed and I wouldn't wake up. Noted though that I take a higher dose of it than most people, 200mg.

September 27, 2012 8:25 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

trazodone: Being acutely depressed to the point of suicidal, I was given Trazodone and have had no noticeable negative side effects. I am on a maintenance program due to post traumatic stress disorder and have been for 4 yrs.

January 12, 2012 2:13 PM
Review by choc243:

trazodone: I take 150 mg of trazodone for anxiety and depression and it has helped me a great deal. In about 15 mins I am sleep. I also take Ambien along with the trazodone.

August 14, 2011 3:27 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

trazodone: I have been taking trazodone for about 8 weeks and the first 3-5weeks were fairly rough. Felt dizzy standing up, BAD headaches, nausea especially just after taking the medicine. However it is a wonder helping me fall of to sleep. 9 times out of 10 I'm out in 15 minutes and in a very deep sleep, nothing will wake me for 8-9 hours. As long as you put your head down and close your eyes! If you stay awake, you will feel TERRIBLE and very sick! The past week I have noticed anxiety has reduced and mood has improved slightly. My motivation is still pretty low. However I had terrible side effects on several previous medicines, ended up in hospital with some nasty ones! A few dizzy spells for a few weeks is pretty good really!

August 5, 2011 5:18 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

trazodone: At first I was taking 50mg of trazodone for insomnia after withdrawing off opioids. Now I take Celexa and Trazedone together. I have taken my trazodone for a week and I can tell the difference. I lack motivation, I just want to sit on the couch all day, I barely even want to shower. I figured I could stop taking it because I could fall asleep just fine but I couldn't be more wrong. I'm definitely going back on it to help stabilize my moods since I didn't realize how much it really does help.

July 23, 2011 12:11 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

trazodone: I recently lost my husband and I was prescribed Trazodone for depression. Before this, I was taking Ambien for sleeplessness. I am now off Ambien which gave me bad headaches, not only am I sleeping better than ever, but my depression seems to be somewhat in check. I do not expect any miracle medicine to take away the pain and sadness of losing the love of my life, but this is more than helping with no side effects at all.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 14, 2011 12:44 PM