User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Depression

"It was a negative experience for me at least. I felt sad, depressed , can't sleep, and aggressive toward myself and hate dislike who I am. I don't think my Dr listens to me or maybe it's my fault . I cry at work and so scared I'll loose my job, I'm so scared and anxious and depressed and the medicine makes me feel a lot worse."

Anonymous February 1, 2016

"My pcm prescribed it for hot flashes, because I can't take anything with estrogen, so no HRT for me. I was having 10-12 hot flashes in a 24 hr period. Now I only have 2-3. I must take it at night, because it definitely helps with sleep. I still wake up slightly groggy. And If I have a hot flash it does wake me, but I'm able to go back to sleep. I started with 50mg. But now I take 25. I may try to take it every other night, because I don't like being on medication. But I am pleased with it. It is also an older drug, so any bad side effects should've been discovered by now."

VOR January 29, 2016

"I was put onto Trazadone (started on 50mg then 100mg after 2 weeks) after having 3 months of citralopram which was not working for me. The trazadone has 100% helped my sleeping as I was only sleeping 1-2 hours per night. As for my depression it seems to helped so far, I'm still having episodes lasting 2 days to a week however these are a lot less frequent. Trazadone has helped my anxiety however I do still suffer from bouts of anxiety at least once a week (again better than before the trazadone). Personally I think that trazadone is great for treating sleeping problems, anxiety and depression and hopefully I will see even better results the longer I take it for."

Deb96 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2015

"My upper eyelids seem to swell from this. What is this from?"

Sarahdschultz November 28, 2015

"My Dr. prescribed trazadone for ptsd and depression. I haven't had a good nights sleep due to my mind racing and thinking of my past. I have noticed I've been able to sleep and wake up in a good mood and feel well rested , I've even enrolled in college and doing great in my classes.Looking forward to the future :) I don't have insurance but my provider is paying for my medication."

micaela3723 September 4, 2015

"In the beginning, I felt no Difference. After two weeks Or 10 days, I felt the medication working, it help me relax , fall asleep, anxiety And anxious."

Starr0327 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2015

"I take 50mg Trazodone before bed. It helps me get a full night's sleep and eases my depression during the day. I don't think I'd benefit from taking it first thing in the morning because it's a very sedating drug. I also find Trazodone to be an affective long-term pain killer. Trazodone doesn't belong to any of the common classes of anti-depressant so it doesn't kill my libido like SSRIs and SNRIs tend to do."

Uncle Scooby (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 15, 2015

"Wow. A pa prescribed this for me in addition with 150 mgs of Zoloft. It's a life changer. Sometimes i have restless legs and a slight headache but I'll take that over depression and loss of interest any day! I sleep so good and am just generally a happy person. I was prescribed it for sleep but it does much more than that! If you're looking for great restful sleep or even an anti depressant booster...look no further!"

A.L. gunn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2015

"i have suffered with anxiety and insomina for 15 years..trazadone with mirtazapine has changed my life for the better..i give it a 10 outa 10.."

safeforce February 2, 2015

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've tried several SSRI-class medications over the years starting around age 15...(sertraline, Lexapro, Celexa). All of them gave me uncomfortable side effects...(anorgasmia, RLS, nightmares, inability to sleep). I was never able to take them long enough to get any anti-depressant or anxiolytic effects due to the unbearable side effects. I finally went and got a prescription for Trazodone along with a prescription for Valium around 5 days ago. I started by taking 12.5mg for 4 days. Last night I upped my dose to 25mg. Today is the first time I've woken up and actually felt good. I can fall asleep quickly and easily and my mood has been greatly improved. I highly recommend this medicine to anyone who has not had good experiences with conventional SSRIs."

User518 January 30, 2015

"I am going to start this medication tonight and by reading these reviews I am so hopeful. Thank you to everyone who has posted the good and the bad!"

Maria_75 November 25, 2014

"This has helped me endlessly. I started taking it about 5 months ago, The first thing that it helps with is sleep, I'll fall asleep so easily & not wake, One thing I noticed however was the vivid dreaming, not too bad if you aren't freaked out by bad or plain weird dreams. For the first few days/weeks it was harder to get up in the morning but having caffeine really helps. I would always feel low before this medication, sad, hopeless and have no energy. With it I'm more confident, make more effort with other people, not afraid of my own company and anything that happens I can see logically. One of my problems was illogical thinking and this has reduced that by 90%. You'll have to be more careful with alcohol on this medication."

CKib (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2014

162 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Makes me sweat at night tons but get a full 8 hours sleep now. Dry mouth. That's it."

Y.I (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Originally I started taking trazodone for insomnia, but was fearful of taking too much so I minimized my dose and that was a mistake. I believe its important to take the amount that starts working consistently for you as you titrate up to a dose that starts working. And you need to give it time to build up in your system. I'm up to 250 mg when I go to bed, I will take another 50 mg and that tends to give me a couple hours more sleep if I wake up too early. What's really amazing about this medicine is that I no longer struggle with depression or anxiety. It keeps my brain in chemical balance and I think clearly with no side effects, except I'm a little tired in the morning. So I drink a big cup of coffee and that helps."

kjhand June 20, 2014

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was in a deep dark hole into which no light or joy came no matter what nice and kind things my family did to help. I had uuncontrollable crying bouts that might occur at any time. A friend told me Desyrel had helped her so I asked my doctor for a scrip. From the first dose I knew I was on to something. Slept well, woke rested did not interfer with intimacy with husband. Was mentally alert but took couple cups of coffee to get going. Did have moderate headache that went away in couple hours. Suddenly I was interested in life again, was able to resume handling our finances, organizing house, outings with friends. Was great. But after some time came.....weight gain, edema, and stomach on fire...slept in recliner lots. Not for long use."

BME (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2014

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Before taking Trazodone I could not fall asleep at night, I began resorting to drinking just to fall asleep at night and that alone has it's fair share of negative consequences. Literally the first night I took a 50mg Trazodone I was able to fall asleep and stay asleep. I've been on the medication for nearly a month now and I can happily say that I can't remember the last time I've felt this great! I don't feel the need to drink whatsoever. I fall asleep within 30 minutes of taking the tablet, I stay asleep, and I wake up well rested with a much more positive outlook on life! I can't wait to see what the future holds. I strongly recommend this medication for anyone suffering from depression, anxiety, and/or sleep deprivation."

Gomattgo (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2014

189 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started this medication when I was experiencing flashbacks to trauma and I would wake up in a sweat, screaming or sleepwalking. I take many other medications to help with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, depression and bipolar. It worked wonderfully well for 7 years. I stopped taking this when I got a new doctor as she wanted to lower my dose of medications. I have now been consistently having nightmares and am hitting, kicking and punching my husband at night. He wakes me to this. I feel terrible about this because my husband has been a wonderful support for the last 20 years. I want to go back on trazodone. Its the only thing that will work for me."

Sandy Madagasgar January 5, 2014

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was a basket case, I cried every day for no reason. A commercial would set me off, my emotions we're out of control and I knew it but I couldn't stop it. I couldn't sleep either. My doctor then put me on trazodone, within three days I was starting to feel like my old safe again. I was on it for years. I tried to get off but the same thing happened again, so I went back on trazodone. For me, it works. I hate taking pills but sometimes you have to."

BC chic.. December 5, 2013

145 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After many, many years of taking Zoloft for depression, It got to a point where it was not as helpful as it once was. I visited my doctor who put me on trazodone as a booster to the Zoloft that I was still taking. In 2 weeks I noticed the difference. I no longer feel depressed and feel more like my old self again. The only side effect I have had is a little blurred vision...I'll take that any day over depression."

T Alger December 4, 2013

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had a near on full nervous breakdown, I had been months without sleep and suffered depression. What I do find is that if you are woken half way through the night then there is no going back to sleep. Having stayed away from home recently and forgetting to take tablets with me, I ended up staying awake all night long. Cannot sleep without taking trazodone."

angels11 November 21, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This has been a miracle for me going through horrid menopause with terrible anxiety, worry and deep depression. I have been to point of wanting to end my life. I have tried over dozens of anti-depressants along with anti-anxiety meds but they made me feel worse. Now I am taking trazodone along with a couple of glasses of red wine along with Jasmine. The hot flashes are pretty much have gone away and get to sleep too. The anxiety and depression is now manageable thank God!! I would encourage all women do not allow your doctor to prescribe any benzos. It caused most of depression. The side effects were just horrible!!! It took me many months to overcome them. I had flu like symptoms and deep deep depression get ting of of them."

Lorincz November 9, 2013

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I take effexor, lamictal, ativan which are not helping too much. My doc gave me Trazodone to help with sleeping. I feel very groggy when waking up. It's not helping me with depression but helps me sleep."

keep hoping to be normal (taken for 10 years or more) October 20, 2013

"I started taking this a few days ago to replace Seroquel for depression and insomnia. It was terrible the first day it made me so dizzy I couldn't even sit up and after that it just made me drowsy I couldn't sleep at all and had to resort to taking Seroquel."

anorexicxheart (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2013

"MY experience with this trazodone medication is not for me. I'm epileptic, it interferes with my Keppra."

Anonymous August 6, 2013

"Take 100mg a hour before bed with good sleep results. Mornings can be foggy but nothing a few coffees won't fix. As for daytime results can feel the depression lifting with reduced anxiety (no mania,) this medication a life saver great stuff."

Mart72 July 25, 2013

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next