User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Anxiety

Review by TommyPF:

Desyrel (trazodone): I have anxiety disorder but I take it to sleep. It works very well to get a good night's sleep. One 50 mg pill at bedtime.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2014 7:01 PM

Review by mawms (taken for 1 to 2 years):

My 11 yr old daughter has been taking 50mg trazodone for nearly a year now. She has Aspergers and her anxiety used to be through the roof. Her insomnia was so bad, she literally could stay up for days at a time. I was reluctant at first, but its been a God-send. Her grades at school has improved and her social anxieties have lessened. The first week of taking them, she was slow to wake up and we had to allow for extra wake up time on school days. Her body adjusted and now there is no morning grogginess.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 18, 2014 10:33 PM

Review by Big dee 800:

I just like to add that trazodone turn my life completely to happy after going through so much stress and anxiety and sleepless nights this medicine gets a 10.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 12, 2014 9:24 PM

Review by livy (taken for 10 years or more):

I am a tricky person for the Doctor's to treat. Lots of things they thought would be of help, were complete opposite for me..I often get the worst side effects on the list! Im 35, have battled chronic depression & anxiety since early teens..serious back & neck troubles started almost 15 yrs ago..which has progressively gotten worse, & diagnosis of fibromyalgia, & cps,& cfs. Sleeping, has always created some major anxiety for me since I was very young. I've been taking trazodone for 15 yrs, and it still works just the same, without having to increase the dose. So I get the 100 mg pills, & score them into 4's. One works to get me 7 hrs. You have to be in bed, ready to go to sleep, then take it, & give it 20-30 min. I PROMISE SLEEP.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2014 2:05 PM

Review by extremely tired (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been on trazodone for three weeks. I also take Klonopin 2 milligrams and 1 x 100 mg of trazodone. It does help with sleep no doubt. I'm a sufferer for over 16 years so this definitely works. It stops the thinking, the worrying, and eventually it knocks you out. The problem I have is that I feel so lethargic. I'm tired after sleeping seven plus hours after consumption. My eyes are red and hard to open. I want to sleep and this does the trick. However, I hate feeling tired all day. I gave it an eight because in terms of sleep and anxiety it does the job. But the side effect of feeling tired all day is unbearable.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2013 12:58 AM

Review by DChris (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been prescribed trazodone for generalized anxiety disorder with insomnia. I started with 50 mg only at bedtime about for a week and now at 100 mg in a single dose at bedtime. It helped me a lot with the anxiety (it calmed me down) and also it improved considerably my sleep at night. Although the sedating activity is immediate, the anxyolytic activity takes some time to show effect and requires increasing dose. I have noticed no major side effects, except from orthostatic hypotension and some headaches mainly at the beginning of the treatment. It works well as a sleep aid, but care must be taken when you increase the dose (should be done gradually increasing the dose by 25 mg). The dose of 100 mg at bedtime works fine for me. I will continue on this dose and see how things go on.

December 7, 2013 7:08 AM

Review by relieeeeeved:

I had previously tried Cipralex, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Abilify, lamotrigine, mirtazapine, and benzodiazepines for my persistent anxiety. I heard that trazodone was a "weak" antidepressant, but its anxiolytic properties work magic for me. Unlike the other medications I tried I have hardly experienced any side effects except for some grogginess in the mornings. While its sedating effects aren't strong for me (I take Seroquel/clonazepam if required to fall asleep during stressful periods), my anxiety during the day and night has subsided considerably.

December 2, 2013 10:41 PM

Review by Geezzzz:

Have been on this medication for approx. 4.5 months. Was experiencing panic attacks, high anxiety, insomnia, depression, and peri menopausal mood swings to the point it was interfering with work. My dr. started me on 50mg and currently on 150mg per night. Initially, I would fall asleep half hour to an hour after taking this medication and sleep soundly for 9 - 11 hrs, Now, it takes up to 2 hours to fall asleep and I get 6 - 8 hours a night. Panic attacks stopped, anxiety minimal, mood swings occasionally out of control, depression no change. Occassional burning feeling in stomach lately. Feel the need for a review and additional assist with depression.

November 15, 2013 6:42 PM

Review by T CAS:

I have had trouble sleeping for years now, especially during peri-menopausal phase. My doctor prescribed 50 mg of Trazadone and said I could go up as high as 100 mg if I wanted to. The drug really knocked me out -- I mean like 9 to 10 hours a night as I am only 5'2 at 120 pounds. So I dropped my dosage to just .25 mg per night and I sleep for a good 8.5 hours every single night. The problem I noted was I would have a cup or two of coffee in the morning around 9 a.m. and I would get SUPER dizzy and elevated blood pressure by like 10:30 a.m. and it would last until about 7 p.m., so I had to make the choice between sleep or my coffee in the morning and sleep won, of course. Take the lowest possible effective dosage.

November 12, 2013 3:05 PM

Review by suzanna r0311:

I have been on trazodone for a week the best sleepaid ever! With the Wellbutrin I feel so balanced for the first time in my life.

October 12, 2013 1:39 AM

Review by deelooted (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on this medication for two months and it is a lifesaver. I take 50mg twice a day for anxiety, and 200mg before sleep for insomnia. Now I sleep 8-10 hours every night. The only side effect for me is a little dry mouth, and that is no big deal for me, especially with how well the 50mg twice a day handles my anxiety.

September 10, 2013 4:35 PM

Review by sleeplessness, anxiety (taken for less than 1 month):

Increases my heart rate and did not help me sleep. If I take it early in the day it helps with anxiety but it is supposed to be a sleep aid. Since it affects my heart and I am near 60 it is not for me.

May 11, 2013 8:52 PM

A great medicine for restless legs syndrome, anxiety and restless mind. I take 50 mg before bed and sleep well, sometimes I still get restless but a wonderful relief the trazodone has made the night time so much better.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2013 12:02 PM

Review by didkie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been using trazodone for years taking one half of a 50mg with one acetaminophen in the evening and sleep very well all night.

January 23, 2013 3:35 PM

Review by lilly13 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Love it! Been on it for only a month now, but wow! The other anti-depressants only caused my mania to explode and make me stop taking them. Trust me, I've been on a lot of meds. I used to not sleep (maybe 3 hours a night if that) and now I'm sleeping 6-8 on 50 mg of trazodone. I'm not as mad anymore, I can focus, life is just so much better! I would have rated it a 10, but it gives me heartburn and it is a little more sedating in the morning when I'm trying to wake up (can't have caffeine). This medicine is truly a God send! But, for anyone that has bi-polar this is definitely an add on to your normal meds. Taking Klonopin, Depakote, and now Trazodone. Life is great!

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 2, 2012 9:44 PM

Review by SickOfPillsGoGreen (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Desyrel (trazodone): Definitely puts you to sleep. Lay down, then take it.

July 11, 2012 2:30 PM

I have been taking trazodone for generalized anxiety disorder, some insomnia and mild depression for 40 days. This medicine helps me a lot for anxiety and insomnia but not too much for the mild depression. I think thanks to trazodone I got girlfriend because I felt relaxed more confident of myself and ideas come easily. I don’t have important side effect just mild ones like getting some nights hard painful erections that makes me worry to get a priamism but finally it doesn’t happen. Sometimes I feel a little sleepy and I experienced a little down in my libido but I am not sure this last one is caused by trazodone, anyway the benefits are over these mild side effects.

February 15, 2012 10:58 PM

So glad I found Trazodone for sleep and anxiety issues. I take 50mg at night and finally my constant "on the go" mind is quieted so I can relax and sleep. Have had no serious or disturbing side effects and I've take it for two months. I also take Ativan 1mg (for four years) 4 x's a day as needed. Since my second month started on Trazodone I don't have as much anxiety and can actually take an Ativan " as needed" when as before I was popping them like tic-tacs to get through my anxiety filled days and nights. But, as we all know, we are all different. Sidenote: I can't take SSRIs, they make feel worse. Don't know why.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 17, 2012 1:47 PM

Review by Sleepless in the South:

My doctor prescribed Trazodone for insomnia recently and it has helped better than any of the previous medicines prescribed. Elavil was 1st, but I still woke up throughout the night and in the morning had that groggy feeling in my head that was hard to shake. The Trazodone is working best if I take half before bed and when I wake in the middle of the night, I take the other half of a 50 mg tablet. I was taking Ambien and it made me sleepy enough to doze off, but I would wake up every 2 hours and had trouble falling back to sleep. So far, Trazodone is the best for me for insomnia. I still wake up after a few hours, but can go back to sleep after taking the other half. Hope this helps someone! I know how bad insomnia is!

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2011 1:50 PM

Review by Agatha-Mel:

I have just started and taken 5 tabs over 5 nights of 50mg per day. I wake up tired and have dry mouth. My jaw has been very clenchy and tight over the past 2 days. I am hoping things will settle and I will feel less anxious.

September 7, 2011 4:27 PM

Review by Asrocv11:

I have been taking Trazodone for about 2 weeks for anxiety and sleeping problems. After about 2 nights of taking it, I started getting good results and have been sleeping great and anxiety improved. Only setback is the next day after a good nights sleep, I am very tired, sleepy and at times have a weak feeling throughout the day. When evening comes, this problem seems to go away. Also get very mild headaches.

July 20, 2011 2:22 PM

Having taken other medications in the past for severe anxiety, my experiences did vary from sleeplessness to complete and utter loopiness (without control of all my mental faculties). This medicine, taken at night however, I had noticed that the adjustment takes about ten to fifteen days, is absolutely wonderful and very effective for my condition. My only regret is that I hadn't discovered it five years ago.

June 18, 2011 12:22 PM

Review by lynnlehman:

Been on it since I was 29. Panic attacks almost non existent. Since been on it bad nausea and vertigo when first taking it, cut dosage to 50 mg a day at bedtime.

March 16, 2011 12:32 AM

I take 100mg trazodone at night. It almost completely resolves both my chronic insomnia and evening/night time anxiety (didn't have anxiety during day). For my depression, it seems to keep me from the very bottom but not very high. But it is worth it to be able to sleep.

March 7, 2011 10:53 PM

Review by mjchexum:

Trazodone works great for me. I was put on a Prozac for anxiety/depression issues, and Trazodone also for my anxiety related sleep issues. I've been using it for about 8 months now. I take 50mg every night, and I sleep great through the night and feel great the next day. Sometimes if I've had too much caffeine during the day or have something really important happening the next day I'll take a whole pill (100mg.) The 100mg does make me a little drowsy but it usually wears off by mid morning. When I first started taking it I did get dry mouth and had some stomach problems (which could have been caused by the Prozac) but those went away after the first month. It has really helped my anxiety levels and ensures I get a good nights sleep.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2011 2:27 PM