User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Anxiety

"Zero help with anxiety but seemed to help with hallucinations which at least was something"

ihatesupercenters (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 8, 2015

"I take it for sleep 100/200 mg at nite this is the only way I can go to sleep I get 4 hrs of great sleep than I start waking up but the sleep is good if I wake up to early I take 50mg more"

#1 babygirl April 19, 2015

"I was put on 50mg trazodone almost 4 weeks ago, for anxiety with the resultant insomnia. Within a few days, I felt much calmer and not worrying and getting worked up about simple things. It was day 10 before it really kicked in to help me sleep, I will sleep for maybe 2-3 nights in a row, then have a wakeful night, although I still feel rested after a few hrs sleep. All things considered, they are helping me a lot."

Yotanka7 (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2015

"My MD recommended I start taking 25mg at night to help with my sleep/anxiety issues. The past six months I've been battling anxiety and depression intermittently. The past 4 days have been the best since the attacks started. I really can't say enough. No side effects for me at all."

Fearlessnomore (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2015

"I have had an issue for many years where I could not shut my brain off when I went to sleep. My doctors had tried Xanax, Valium, sleeping pills (over counter and prescription) and though some worked initially they did not completely work for me. I was talking to a Psychiatrist friend of mine and they suggested that I try Trazodone. After researching it and seeing that it was an anti-depressant I was extremely skeptical and concerned about side effects. I started with 50mg at night and the first night I took it was the best nights sleep I had in a long time. I am now on 100mg at night and always have great nights sleep. The only side effect I have is vivid dreams."

MisterDinMaryland December 17, 2014

"I was put on this pill 100mg for anxiety and sleep issues. After two days of taking the pills I started to have angry and violent thoughts and feelings. My sleep didn't get any better either. I stopped taking after those two days."

Megooooh December 1, 2014

"I was prescribed Trazodone for anxiety, insomnia, and depression. It worked very well after the first week of the nausea and strange feelings that come with a new medicine. It helped me sleep, I was less depressed and found it easier to find things to look forward to. HOWEVER. If you are prone to side effects in psych meds, be careful. In less than two months my hair thinned to about half of what it was before. I have since quit and am taking supplements to help regrow my hair, and bathing in my own tears."

Ophelia9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2014

Desyrel (trazodone): "I have anxiety disorder but I take it to sleep. It works very well to get a good night's sleep. One 50 mg pill at bedtime."

TommyPF October 21, 2014

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been suffering from generalised anxiety disorder for the last 10 years, on and off many anti depressants. I have been on citalopram/SSRI for about the last 5 years, but it never did the job thoroughly and I felt that is as good as it's ever going to get. I started Trazodone 2 days ago, and I feel like a new person. Anxiety down by an immense amount, confidence levels boosted beyond what I've ever felt. I am combining it with the citalopram, however, as always medication affects every individual differently. Just a matter of trial and error. Only side effects so far are dry mouth, and slightly impaired concentration. But they are MINOR compared to the anxiety I used to have."

Gareth_Reborn (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2014

"My 11 yr old daughter has been taking 50mg trazodone for nearly a year now. She has Aspergers and her anxiety used to be through the roof. Her insomnia was so bad, she literally could stay up for days at a time. I was reluctant at first, but its been a God-send. Her grades at school has improved and her social anxieties have lessened. The first week of taking them, she was slow to wake up and we had to allow for extra wake up time on school days. Her body adjusted and now there is no morning grogginess."

mawms (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 18, 2014

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I just like to add that trazodone turn my life completely to happy after going through so much stress and anxiety and sleepless nights this medicine gets a 10."

Big dee 800 March 12, 2014

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am a tricky person for the Doctor's to treat. Lots of things they thought would be of help, were complete opposite for me..I often get the worst side effects on the list! Im 35, have battled chronic depression & anxiety since early teens..serious back & neck troubles started almost 15 yrs ago..which has progressively gotten worse, & diagnosis of fibromyalgia, & cps,& cfs. Sleeping, has always created some major anxiety for me since I was very young. I've been taking trazodone for 15 yrs, and it still works just the same, without having to increase the dose. So I get the 100 mg pills, & score them into 4's. One works to get me 7 hrs. You have to be in bed, ready to go to sleep, then take it, & give it 20-30 min. I PROMISE SLEEP."

livy (taken for 10 years or more) March 10, 2014

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on trazodone for three weeks. I also take Klonopin 2 milligrams and 1 x 100 mg of trazodone. It does help with sleep no doubt. I'm a sufferer for over 16 years so this definitely works. It stops the thinking, the worrying, and eventually it knocks you out. The problem I have is that I feel so lethargic. I'm tired after sleeping seven plus hours after consumption. My eyes are red and hard to open. I want to sleep and this does the trick. However, I hate feeling tired all day. I gave it an eight because in terms of sleep and anxiety it does the job. But the side effect of feeling tired all day is unbearable. "

extremely tired (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2013

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been prescribed trazodone for generalized anxiety disorder with insomnia. I started with 50 mg only at bedtime about for a week and now at 100 mg in a single dose at bedtime. It helped me a lot with the anxiety (it calmed me down) and also it improved considerably my sleep at night. Although the sedating activity is immediate, the anxyolytic activity takes some time to show effect and requires increasing dose. I have noticed no major side effects, except from orthostatic hypotension and some headaches mainly at the beginning of the treatment. It works well as a sleep aid, but care must be taken when you increase the dose (should be done gradually increasing the dose by 25 mg). The dose of 100 mg at bedtime works fine for me. I will continue on this dose and see how things go on."

DChris (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2013

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had previously tried Cipralex, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Abilify, lamotrigine, mirtazapine, and benzodiazepines for my persistent anxiety. I heard that trazodone was a "weak" antidepressant, but its anxiolytic properties work magic for me. Unlike the other medications I tried I have hardly experienced any side effects except for some grogginess in the mornings. While its sedating effects aren't strong for me (I take Seroquel/clonazepam if required to fall asleep during stressful periods), my anxiety during the day and night has subsided considerably."

relieeeeeved December 2, 2013

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Have been on this medication for approx. 4.5 months. Was experiencing panic attacks, high anxiety, insomnia, depression, and peri menopausal mood swings to the point it was interfering with work. My dr. started me on 50mg and currently on 150mg per night. Initially, I would fall asleep half hour to an hour after taking this medication and sleep soundly for 9 - 11 hrs, Now, it takes up to 2 hours to fall asleep and I get 6 - 8 hours a night. Panic attacks stopped, anxiety minimal, mood swings occasionally out of control, depression no change. Occassional burning feeling in stomach lately. Feel the need for a review and additional assist with depression."

Geezzzz November 15, 2013

"I have had trouble sleeping for years now, especially during peri-menopausal phase. My doctor prescribed 50 mg of Trazadone and said I could go up as high as 100 mg if I wanted to. The drug really knocked me out -- I mean like 9 to 10 hours a night as I am only 5'2 at 120 pounds. So I dropped my dosage to just .25 mg per night and I sleep for a good 8.5 hours every single night. The problem I noted was I would have a cup or two of coffee in the morning around 9 a.m. and I would get SUPER dizzy and elevated blood pressure by like 10:30 a.m. and it would last until about 7 p.m., so I had to make the choice between sleep or my coffee in the morning and sleep won, of course. Take the lowest possible effective dosage."

T CAS November 12, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on trazodone for a week the best sleepaid ever! With the Wellbutrin I feel so balanced for the first time in my life."

suzanna r0311 October 12, 2013

"I have been on this medication for two months and it is a lifesaver. I take 50mg twice a day for anxiety, and 200mg before sleep for insomnia. Now I sleep 8-10 hours every night. The only side effect for me is a little dry mouth, and that is no big deal for me, especially with how well the 50mg twice a day handles my anxiety."

deelooted (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2013

"Increases my heart rate and did not help me sleep. If I take it early in the day it helps with anxiety but it is supposed to be a sleep aid. Since it affects my heart and I am near 60 it is not for me."

sleeplessness, anxiety (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2013

"A great medicine for restless legs syndrome, anxiety and restless mind. I take 50 mg before bed and sleep well, sometimes I still get restless but a wonderful relief the trazodone has made the night time so much better. "

Anonymous February 12, 2013

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been using trazodone for years taking one half of a 50mg with one acetaminophen in the evening and sleep very well all night."

didkie (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 23, 2013

"Love it! Been on it for only a month now, but wow! The other anti-depressants only caused my mania to explode and make me stop taking them. Trust me, I've been on a lot of meds. I used to not sleep (maybe 3 hours a night if that) and now I'm sleeping 6-8 on 50 mg of trazodone. I'm not as mad anymore, I can focus, life is just so much better! I would have rated it a 10, but it gives me heartburn and it is a little more sedating in the morning when I'm trying to wake up (can't have caffeine). This medicine is truly a God send! But, for anyone that has bi-polar this is definitely an add on to your normal meds. Taking Klonopin, Depakote, and now Trazodone. Life is great!"

lilly13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2012

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Desyrel (trazodone): "Definitely puts you to sleep. Lay down, then take it."

SickOfPillsGoGreen (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 11, 2012

"I have been taking trazodone for generalized anxiety disorder, some insomnia and mild depression for 40 days. This medicine helps me a lot for anxiety and insomnia but not too much for the mild depression. I think thanks to trazodone I got girlfriend because I felt relaxed more confident of myself and ideas come easily. I don’t have important side effect just mild ones like getting some nights hard painful erections that makes me worry to get a priamism but finally it doesn’t happen. Sometimes I feel a little sleepy and I experienced a little down in my libido but I am not sure this last one is caused by trazodone, anyway the benefits are over these mild side effects."

Anonymous February 15, 2012