User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 192 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Anxiety

"Great for getting to sleep and really cool dreams, however too many side effects. I didn't realize it because I was on a couple other drugs for anxiety, so I didn't know which one caused problems. After getting off it I stopped having constant a hot feeling or sweating at night, bowel problems, I thought I had some disease because I had diarrhea all day. I also felt apathy/depression. When weaning off it I felt dizzy and very confused. Had hypotension. Had trouble speaking."

Mamaluvschocolate (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2016

"It have been effective w/all the symptoms that's associated w/anxiety"

libra2684 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 19, 2016

"I used to feel vaguely anxious all the time and acutely anxious some of the time -- and have trouble sleeping. Now, I feel some anxiety (which is natural if you are 65, single, childless, and have little money!) -- but I don't worry and obsess and make Plan A, B, C, D, and E the way I once did. I even feel confident that things will work out! And I sleep thorugh the night....I rarely have trouble falling asleep, so what I usually do is go to sleep & when I wake up in the night and can't back to sleep, take it then. This works like a charm for me. The only side-effects seem to be occasional dizziness.....Trazodone is WAY better than Elavil (HORRIBLE drug) and Lorazepam which kept me spaced out and unable to remember anything."

sleeplessandanxious (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2016

"In the last year I've lost my husband, my job, and as a result, I relapsed. Alot of stress, anxiety, and little sleep. I am now 6 months clean. Began taking trazadone 6 mos ago. After a few months it was not helping me long term. It would some what relax me, I'd fall asleep, but suddenly, I was awoke after about 3 hrs . After communicating that, I was told that because of my weight gain now weighing 198, height (5'3") that contributed to the non effectiveness, and the fact that on the end of my treatment, I was no longer taking some of the other meds. Anyways, once my dosage was increased to 100mg, and I've felt so at ease, and have slept through the whole night like a baby. Thank God for Trazadone, 2 thumbs up."

Sleepie Me (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 18, 2016

"I began taking this around 3 months ago after the end of my marriage. I wasn't sleeping, had violent mood swings, really bad anxiety and bouts of tearfullness. I take 50mg at bedtime, it eases me into a gentle restful sleep with no groggy feeling in the morning. I'm a lot calmer and haven't killed anyone ;)"

Ruthywhiff December 19, 2015

"My daughter (age 12) tried Lexipro for severe anxiety (school refusal etc.) The Lexipro made her hallucinate black blobs and become depressed in addition to anxious. The root of her problem was ADD/Dyspraxia and a Reading Disorder that led to numerous negative school experiences. After researching different medications, her PCP and I zoned in on Trazodone to help her sleep and relax. It changed my daughter's life. This med, in addition to a nurturing and small private school has made a huge difference. She's not only functional but she is happy--no more meltdowns--and she thrives socially and academically. (She is 100 lbs and takes 1.5 tablets each night.)"

HQ (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 15, 2015

"I've been using this drug for about 4 months to help combat insomnia and anxiety, and it works, but not in the best way... For insomnia, this is the ONLY drug that manages to knock me out for about 8 or 9 hours straight, but when you wake up the next morning, prepare to feel groggy and disoriented for at least 5 hours the next day, which is way to long to feel this way, IMHO. For anxiety, you don't feel ANY anxiety while on this drug, but that's because this drug makes you so groggy and tired that you can't really think of anything while on this drug. My advice, take this drug ONLY occasionally, not every night like I did. I'm quitting this drug tonight."

ihatetrazadone4life (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2015

"I have had bouts of severe and at times crippling anxiety for over 20 years. Though I mastered recognition of severe anxiety and can skip the ER realizing I cannot die from a panic attack, the effects would still bring me physically to my knees. I failed to respect the source of anxiety: depression. However, the SSRIs out today like Zoloft, etc, are bad on your brain and totally destroy your libido. You eventually are robbed of sleep and the problems spiral: blood pressure, obesity, apnea. Trazadone solves both problems for me, mental depression, physical insomnia. Side effects for me are: muscle spasms/weakness, balance problems, dry eyes, left side throbbing headache and some mania. Hopeful for the future."

Kevroy DC December 3, 2015

"I was prescribed this for sleep and to help elevate my mood. My prescription was for 25-50 mg at bed times, but I found it wasnt effective for sleep unless I took the entire 50. It worked well for sleep but I experienced many side effects. Some harmless like vivid dreaming, but mostly bad like teeth clenching, nose bleeds, severe nasal dryness and stuffiness, as well as appetite surpression and increased mood swings (mostly anxiety.) I ended up not wanting to tolerate these things and came off it after 3 weeks. It did not elevate my mood, however I may not have been on it long enough."

foreOdin November 10, 2015

"Having battled anxiety and insomnia for years, and not wanting to take an addictive drug, trazodone has done wonders for me. I take 200 mg a half hour before bed and then light's out for 8 hours. I used to wake up groggy but that went away after three weeks. Best sleep aid I have ever had. Now, no more anxiety."

SleeplessinCT (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 21, 2015

"My dose is 150mg at night. First week: weird dreams but I persisted with it. Second week: weird dreams stopped. Felt same as before. Third week: anxiety gone! That was three years ago. I now manage return of mild anxiety by walking one to two hours a day."

EdBb July 4, 2015

"Zero help with anxiety but seemed to help with hallucinations which at least was something"

ihatesupercenters (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 8, 2015

"I take it for sleep 100/200 mg at nite this is the only way I can go to sleep I get 4 hrs of great sleep than I start waking up but the sleep is good if I wake up to early I take 50mg more"

#1 babygirl April 19, 2015

"I was put on 50mg trazodone almost 4 weeks ago, for anxiety with the resultant insomnia. Within a few days, I felt much calmer and not worrying and getting worked up about simple things. It was day 10 before it really kicked in to help me sleep, I will sleep for maybe 2-3 nights in a row, then have a wakeful night, although I still feel rested after a few hrs sleep. All things considered, they are helping me a lot."

Yotanka7 (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2015

"My MD recommended I start taking 25mg at night to help with my sleep/anxiety issues. The past six months I've been battling anxiety and depression intermittently. The past 4 days have been the best since the attacks started. I really can't say enough. No side effects for me at all."

Fearlessnomore (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2015

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had an issue for many years where I could not shut my brain off when I went to sleep. My doctors had tried Xanax, Valium, sleeping pills (over counter and prescription) and though some worked initially they did not completely work for me. I was talking to a Psychiatrist friend of mine and they suggested that I try Trazodone. After researching it and seeing that it was an anti-depressant I was extremely skeptical and concerned about side effects. I started with 50mg at night and the first night I took it was the best nights sleep I had in a long time. I am now on 100mg at night and always have great nights sleep. The only side effect I have is vivid dreams."

MisterDinMaryland December 17, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was put on this pill 100mg for anxiety and sleep issues. After two days of taking the pills I started to have angry and violent thoughts and feelings. My sleep didn't get any better either. I stopped taking after those two days."

Megooooh December 1, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was prescribed Trazodone for anxiety, insomnia, and depression. It worked very well after the first week of the nausea and strange feelings that come with a new medicine. It helped me sleep, I was less depressed and found it easier to find things to look forward to. HOWEVER. If you are prone to side effects in psych meds, be careful. In less than two months my hair thinned to about half of what it was before. I have since quit and am taking supplements to help regrow my hair, and bathing in my own tears."

Ophelia9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2014

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Desyrel (trazodone): "I have anxiety disorder but I take it to sleep. It works very well to get a good night's sleep. One 50 mg pill at bedtime."

TommyPF October 21, 2014

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been suffering from generalised anxiety disorder for the last 10 years, on and off many anti depressants. I have been on citalopram/SSRI for about the last 5 years, but it never did the job thoroughly and I felt that is as good as it's ever going to get. I started Trazodone 2 days ago, and I feel like a new person. Anxiety down by an immense amount, confidence levels boosted beyond what I've ever felt. I am combining it with the citalopram, however, as always medication affects every individual differently. Just a matter of trial and error. Only side effects so far are dry mouth, and slightly impaired concentration. But they are MINOR compared to the anxiety I used to have."

Gareth_Reborn (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2014

"My 11 yr old daughter has been taking 50mg trazodone for nearly a year now. She has Aspergers and her anxiety used to be through the roof. Her insomnia was so bad, she literally could stay up for days at a time. I was reluctant at first, but its been a God-send. Her grades at school has improved and her social anxieties have lessened. The first week of taking them, she was slow to wake up and we had to allow for extra wake up time on school days. Her body adjusted and now there is no morning grogginess."

mawms (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 18, 2014

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I just like to add that trazodone turn my life completely to happy after going through so much stress and anxiety and sleepless nights this medicine gets a 10."

Big dee 800 March 12, 2014

181 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am a tricky person for the Doctor's to treat. Lots of things they thought would be of help, were complete opposite for me..I often get the worst side effects on the list! Im 35, have battled chronic depression & anxiety since early teens..serious back & neck troubles started almost 15 yrs ago..which has progressively gotten worse, & diagnosis of fibromyalgia, & cps,& cfs. Sleeping, has always created some major anxiety for me since I was very young. I've been taking trazodone for 15 yrs, and it still works just the same, without having to increase the dose. So I get the 100 mg pills, & score them into 4's. One works to get me 7 hrs. You have to be in bed, ready to go to sleep, then take it, & give it 20-30 min. I PROMISE SLEEP."

livy (taken for 10 years or more) March 10, 2014

161 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on trazodone for three weeks. I also take Klonopin 2 milligrams and 1 x 100 mg of trazodone. It does help with sleep no doubt. I'm a sufferer for over 16 years so this definitely works. It stops the thinking, the worrying, and eventually it knocks you out. The problem I have is that I feel so lethargic. I'm tired after sleeping seven plus hours after consumption. My eyes are red and hard to open. I want to sleep and this does the trick. However, I hate feeling tired all day. I gave it an eight because in terms of sleep and anxiety it does the job. But the side effect of feeling tired all day is unbearable. "

extremely tired (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2013

"I have been prescribed trazodone for generalized anxiety disorder with insomnia. I started with 50 mg only at bedtime about for a week and now at 100 mg in a single dose at bedtime. It helped me a lot with the anxiety (it calmed me down) and also it improved considerably my sleep at night. Although the sedating activity is immediate, the anxyolytic activity takes some time to show effect and requires increasing dose. I have noticed no major side effects, except from orthostatic hypotension and some headaches mainly at the beginning of the treatment. It works well as a sleep aid, but care must be taken when you increase the dose (should be done gradually increasing the dose by 25 mg). The dose of 100 mg at bedtime works fine for me. I will continue on this dose and see how things go on."

DChris (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2013