User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Headache 1 reviews 235 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 3 reviews 44 medications

Summary of Trazodone reviews 325 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Trazodone

Review by Mart72:

For Depression: Take 100mg a hour before bed with good sleep results. Mornings can be foggy but nothing a few coffees won't fix. As for daytime results can feel the depression lifting with reduced anxiety (no mania,) this medication a life saver great stuff.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2013 2:49 PM

Review by Rob CC:

For Depression: My psychiatrist put me on this over Seroquel which had been causing my white blood cell count to drop. I had been on Seroquel for years, and was able to function on it. Not so with Trazodone. The 50 mg I started on put me to sleep, but I felt really groggy the next day. I've tried lowering the dose to 25 mg and I still feel absolutely tired. Some of the side effects I've had: bad cough, runny nose (at times), feeling like I have a constant mild headache, feeling disconnected sexually, sweatiness, and the last one is the most bothersome--erectile dysfunction. Sometimes, I can get a full erection, and sometimes I can only get about 3/4 of the way there. I'm going to fight to get back on the Seroquel which I still have and never caused any erectile dysfunction.

July 24, 2013 5:10 PM

Review by mrsroyde (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I have been on trazodone for over a month now. Started out on 100mg now on 150mg it has been heaven sent for me a few nights. Got in bed forgot to take it tossed and turn until I got up and take it, was asleep within mins. Never been fond of taking pills but had to try something also on Cymbalta 30mg.

July 23, 2013 10:21 PM

Review by Kellone2:

For Insomnia: I have been diagnosed with idiopathic hyper insomnia, my mind does NOT shut off at night. I have been prescribed 100 mg of Trazadone to sleep. Let me tell you!! I fall asleep with in a couple minutes and sleep all night, waking up refreshed. Lately though, I can sleep like a rock and still very tired through the day. I am wondering if maybe its from prolonged use. I cant even imagine sleeping with out it!

July 19, 2013 1:24 PM

Review by Dufferdan (taken for 10 years or more):

For Insomnia: In June 1999 I had a triple bypass. My cardiologist, knowing of sleep problems with bypass patients, prescribed 100mg Trazodone at bedtime. I went to sleep within 5 minutes of lying down. After 5 or 6 years we doubled the dose. There have been a few nights when I forgot to take it and lie in bed tossing/turning until I realized what had happened. I get up and take it and am asleep within 15 or 20 min. I can't imagine life without Trazodone.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 12, 2013 6:22 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Insomnia: My own physician uses this medication as a sleep aid. I have used it for over 10 years for insomnia and feel like it's a miracle. Children were toddlers when I started using it. Before, I would get irritated, sick when they did, low energy, etc. It's amazing what sleep will do and I plan on taking it the rest of my life!

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 12, 2013 3:28 PM

Review by mm05 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: Started taking about 3 mths ago. I get wonderful deep restful sleep. No drowsiness in the morning. Only draw back is it takes a bit to kick in about 1-2 hours.

June 26, 2013 11:11 PM

Review by nikkkiii 27years old (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I got a severe migraine after taking it once. I ended up going to the hospital to get a needle to ease the pain.

June 24, 2013 10:43 PM

Review by UpstateNurse (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: Starting taking Trazodone about eight years ago for insomnia. Does a great job to calm a racing mind. I've been free of sleepless nights for years thanks to this. Found my therapeutic level to be 25 mg taken with a small amount of food before bed.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2013 1:11 PM

For Insomnia: I've had trouble sleeping since I was a kid, especially in unfamiliar places or when other people were around. Over the past few years, I've taken Benadryl or Ambien most nights, but neither helped me when I wasn't sleeping in my own bed or was very stressed about something. Even when I could fall asleep, I'd toss and turn all night and every little sound or movement would wake me up. Trazodone has been great for me. I did suffer dry mouth and vivid dreams at the beginning, but those side effects have tapered off for me. For the first time in my life, I don't worry about being able to fall and stay asleep.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 18, 2013 3:56 PM

Review by Jess0908:

For Fibromyalgia: Great for getting a good nights sleep without the hangover feeling the next day. Tried to stop taking it and had terrible withdrawals and didn't sleep for 3 nights. Will not try that again! Doesn't do much for the pain.

June 2, 2013 2:26 PM

For Insomnia: Been on it for over a year. I take 0-100 mg a night as needed, but typically it's 100. After the first two weeks I've had few side effects (at first there was dry mouth, headaches, as my body adjusted to it). Once I take it I have to keep myself occupied for an hour or two, not yet trying to sleep, but still relaxing, watching T.V, reading, etc., until the medicine takes effect. When that happens, it's very clear. I can pretty much shut my eyes and fall asleep within minutes. The only downside is that my already detailed and abundant nightmares are very much heightened and are often disturbing, which makes me wake up feeling disturbed but not drowsy. Would recommend.

May 29, 2013 9:58 PM

Review by nikadi2009 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: I started taking 50mg at night about a year ago. I love the sleep I receive on this medicine. I sleep deeply through the night without any crazy dreams. I jump out of bed in the morning feeling refreshed and ready to start the day. I only gave it an 8 rating because it has affected my sex life. I cannot achieve an orgasm while on this medicine. It is effecting my life tremendously. My doctor switched me to Ambien. Hopefully that will help.

May 28, 2013 6:18 PM

Review by rl3 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: I started trazodone 7 years ago. 50 mg at first then reduced to 25mg. It allows me to fall asleep fast and stay asleep. Can not tell if it affects mood. No known side effects.

May 19, 2013 6:37 PM

Review by sleeplessness, anxiety (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Increases my heart rate and did not help me sleep. If I take it early in the day it helps with anxiety but it is supposed to be a sleep aid. Since it affects my heart and I am near 60 it is not for me.

May 11, 2013 8:52 PM

Review by It worked for me (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Trazodone has worked fine for me so far. My doctor is treating me for anxiety, depression, and interrupted sleep. My experience is that after an hour of taking this medication I'm ready for bed and fall asleep throughout the night. I also sleep throughout the morning getting a total of 10-11 hours which is what concerns me, and also wake up a little disoriented but after 5-10 minutes (walking around thinking about breakfast/lunch) it goes away. I'm used to taking the medication around 11pm and be in bed by 12am which can be the reason of waking up late, so tonight I'm going to take it at 9am and hopefully go to bed by 10pm and I should be up by 8am and ready to eat and go for a swim.

May 11, 2013 4:25 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Desyrel (trazodone) for Sedation: I took it for insomnia. I'll give a two because it definitely knocked me out. I tried it for about a week or so and the side effects didn't go away. I was mindless - a zombie. I was interested in absolutely nothing. A friend would point out hot chicks walking by and the most I would give was a "meh". I did my school work, ate food, and sat around with friends - just sat there as everyone else had fun.

May 3, 2013 3:07 PM

Review by 19 year old guy (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: I took trazodone first at 50 mg and it did not help me. I than switched to 100 mg and it still did no help me. I don't know how other people are so lucky.

April 26, 2013 8:10 AM

Review by Anonymous_1234:

For Sedation: I've been on trazadone for a month now, and I take 100mg as needed for sleep. I love that I can actually fall asleep within 20 minutes and stay asleep, but it's impossible for me to wake up. I've slept through alarm clocks, roommates coming in my room, the smoke detector going off. It puts me in a really deep sleep for a minimum of 10-12 hours. That's my only downside with it. You feel great in the morning, but I've missed work and a few classes because of it.

April 17, 2013 11:14 AM

Review by WooCash (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: For the past month I have been taking trazodone 25mg for my chronic insomnia. It has simply saved me. Before if I could get about 3 hours of sleep I would be happy. Since I have been taking trazodone I sleep about 6 hours every night and I'm able to function normally during the day. Before I was completely exhausted all the time and I would be scared of the thought of going to bed. Now this insomnia anxiety has completely gone away. The only negative thing is I do tend to have big mood swings. But I'm not sure whether it has anything to do with the medicine itself or simply my life situation. Overall - it cured my insomnia but not my depression.

April 13, 2013 4:33 PM

Review by captkriz:

For Insomnia: I have a hard time sleeping since I was a teen. Trazodone has been a God send. I started with 50mg and went quickly to 100mg. I split my pill in half and take 1/2 of it about 2 hrs before bed and the other half at bedtime. If I take it all at once my head stuffs up. That is the only side effect that I have noticed. I wake up with no grogginess and feel great.

April 10, 2013 4:00 PM

Review by John909:

Desyrel (trazodone) for Sedation: I really like trazodone. It helps me sleep and makes me feel more like getting up the next day instead of wanting to stay in bed. There have been a few times however that I took 100 mgs instead of 50 and it made me so faint/lightheaded that I had to lay down in the floor where I was at. I couldn't make it to the bed. 100 mgs doesn't always do that but there have been 3 or 4 times that it did.

April 3, 2013 4:35 AM

Review by toadie70:

For Insomnia: Started this med about 1.5 wks ago. I don't have trouble going to sleep, but wake often through the night from bad/disturbing dreams. Then my mind started to race and I can't turn off- sometimes for hours. I would also wake in the morning with the veil of the most recent bad dream in my head and feeling exhausted. Trazodone helps my mind rest. I still wake 2 or 3 times a night, and I am still doing some dreaming, but don't wake crying or upset and can go back to sleep quickly. I always have been thirsty through the night and still wake and drink water- I don't think the medicine is making this worse. Is a bit harder to get going in the morning, but not enough to negate the positives. I also take 60mg Cymbalta every day for many yrs now.

March 27, 2013 12:31 PM

Review by Cora1123:

For Insomnia: After complaining to my doctor that I couldn't fall asleep and when I did, the slightest noise could wake me up he prescribed me 50mg of this pill and it has not been working. The first two nights I felt a little drowsy about 2 1/2 hours after taking the pill. Now it does nothing to help promote sleep.

March 4, 2013 10:37 PM

Review by rdx4me (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I've had insomnia for years. Finally had a sleep study done and it turned out I have moderate sleep apnea along with restless legs syndrome. Was prescribed a CPAP and Trazodone. Currently taking 300mg per night. It puts me to sleep fast but I always wake up after 3 - 3.5 hours of sleep. After reading others comments I'm considering trying 450mg to see if that will keep me asleep. My wife can sleep 12 hours easily. Wish I could experience sleep like hers!

March 2, 2013 11:43 PM