User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 5 reviews 3 medications

5.2
Summary of Trazodone reviews 374 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Trazodone

Review by lovscrttrs (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Desyrel (trazodone) for Fibromyalgia: I have had insomnia related to my fibromyalgia for sometime. When my doctor suggested I try trazadone I was skeptical. Now I never want to be without it. It has done wonders for my sleep and the quality of my sleep. No grogginess or trouble waking up. I would recommend it for those that have trouble both getting to sleep and staying asleep.

February 19, 2014 1:24 AM

Review by I can finally sleep! (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Sedation: My mind is going 1,000 mph all the time - especially when I try to sleep. My doctor prescribed 50 mg pills and told me to split the tablet in half and take at night before I go to bed. WOW! What a great relief! I CAN SLEEP without the side effects of Ambien!(I took Ambien for a short time and never remembered the things I did!). I recommend this to anyone who wants to get a good nights sleep and not feel drowsy when you wake up. Instead of only getting a couple of hours of sleep a night, I can usually get 6-7 now!

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2014 12:43 PM

Review by JoAnn123 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Insomnia: I have been taking Trazodone off and on, more on since 1995. My dose has always been 1 or 2 @ 150mgs. I would never change. I have DDD, DJD, arthritis, muscle spasms, chronic pain, COPD, asthma, CFS, and nerve damage. What can I say. My mind never turns of. When I tried to get help, I was told it could not be done. I was on a muscle relaxer and my insurance wanted me to try something else, so now I wake-up in the middle of the night. I am also on Oxycontin 40mgs for pain, trazodone has been a life saver. I just wish I could find away to stop pain. Just don't know what will happen.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2014 3:57 AM

Review by Sandy Madagasgar:

For Depression: I started this medication when I was experiencing flashbacks to trauma and I would wake up in a sweat, screaming or sleepwalking. I take many other medications to help with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, depression and bipolar. It worked wonderfully well for 7 years. I stopped taking this when I got a new doctor as she wanted to lower my dose of medications. I have now been consistently having nightmares and am hitting, kicking and punching my husband at night. He wakes me to this. I feel terrible about this because my husband has been a wonderful support for the last 20 years. I want to go back on trazodone. Its the only thing that will work for me.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2014 2:40 PM

Review by Transparent911 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Insomnia: I started taking Trazodone 50mg since more than a year now. My doctor told me to only take it if I think I wont be able to sleep after a long stressful day. Sometimes I only take half of the pill which tends to work to fall asleep faster but I regularly wake up during the night and can't fall asleep anymore. I do not notice any side effects while taking them.

142 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2013 8:00 PM

Review by D$:

For Insomnia: I've started having anxiety attacks about half a year ago, and have been depressed since high school, which had kept me up most nights, worrying about my heart rate. 25mg of trazodone makes me very sleepy and puts an end to racing thoughts, and has also made my uncomfortable dreams subside. I do experience some dizziness and heavy eyelids, but other than that this medicine helps a lot. Went from sleeping around 4 hours to more than 8 again. Although I cannot imagine anyone taking 300 mg of this and being okay the next day.

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2013 4:04 PM

Review by IamBrisk (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: My doctor told me he takes 50mg to help me sleep while his mind relaxes after a stressful day so I have been on the same dosage for almost a month now. It really works for me. I have bladder problems and been dealing with being very anxious about some other issues as well. I have less trouble falling asleep and my mind pays less attention to the call of the bathroom. At one time I was getting up 5 or more times and now I get up about 2 times a night. I am getting more deep sleep and feeling more rested when I get up.

173 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 14, 2013 11:32 AM

Review by Teacherguy35 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: I've had insomnia for years now and I finally asked my psych. for something to help me get some sleep. She gave me trazodone. I remember taking it in the way past to treat depression and I took upwards of 400 mg. Now I tried 300mg the first night and I could barely stand the next day. I tried 150mg the next night and I still felt drowzy the next day. So I said forget it. Then last night I cut the 150 Tri scored tablet into about 10mg. I slept like a rock and woke up without feeling drowzy. I feel alive and rested. I make a bunch of these small trazodones for myself and will take it until I get used to it. I give this medicine an A .

167 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2013 11:13 AM

Review by extremely tired (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I've been on trazodone for three weeks. I also take Klonopin 2 milligrams and 1 x 100 mg of trazodone. It does help with sleep no doubt. I'm a sufferer for over 16 years so this definitely works. It stops the thinking, the worrying, and eventually it knocks you out. The problem I have is that I feel so lethargic. I'm tired after sleeping seven plus hours after consumption. My eyes are red and hard to open. I want to sleep and this does the trick. However, I hate feeling tired all day. I gave it an eight because in terms of sleep and anxiety it does the job. But the side effect of feeling tired all day is unbearable.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2013 12:58 AM

Review by Mr B. (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Insomnia: I used everything and including everything that end with -done. I had a shift work job for 20 years and I left it then still couldn't sleep after getting a day shift only job. Nothing worked and everything left me "Loopy" for 4 hours after I woke up. Believe it or not, Tylenol PM worked best for me!

December 8, 2013 8:01 PM

Review by DChris (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I have been prescribed trazodone for generalized anxiety disorder with insomnia. I started with 50 mg only at bedtime about for a week and now at 100 mg in a single dose at bedtime. It helped me a lot with the anxiety (it calmed me down) and also it improved considerably my sleep at night. Although the sedating activity is immediate, the anxyolytic activity takes some time to show effect and requires increasing dose. I have noticed no major side effects, except from orthostatic hypotension and some headaches mainly at the beginning of the treatment. It works well as a sleep aid, but care must be taken when you increase the dose (should be done gradually increasing the dose by 25 mg). The dose of 100 mg at bedtime works fine for me. I will continue on this dose and see how things go on.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2013 7:08 AM

Review by BC chic..:

For Depression: I was a basket case, I cried every day for no reason. A commercial would set me off, my emotions we're out of control and I knew it but I couldn't stop it. I couldn't sleep either. My doctor then put me on trazodone, within three days I was starting to feel like my old safe again. I was on it for years. I tried to get off but the same thing happened again, so I went back on trazodone. For me, it works. I hate taking pills but sometimes you have to.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2013 1:35 PM

Review by T Alger:

For Depression: After many, many years of taking Zoloft for depression, It got to a point where it was not as helpful as it once was. I visited my doctor who put me on trazodone as a booster to the Zoloft that I was still taking. In 2 weeks I noticed the difference. I no longer feel depressed and feel more like my old self again. The only side effect I have had is a little blurred vision...I'll take that any day over depression.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2013 2:09 PM

Review by Nozzzzzzs:

For Insomnia: Have been fighting insomnia for years. Previously on Lunesta then Ambien because of insurance approval. Ambien was no longer working after a year and I came to the conclusion it was due to dependency and I wanted to quit. My doc suggested trazodone as it is non habit forming. Tried 50mg and it knocked me out through the night and most of the next day. Horrible hangover and dizzy feeling. I layed off for a few days then cut the pill in half to 25mg and was not at all effective. Next night took 3/4 of the tab and again knocked me out and zonked most of the next day. Think I'm giving on this.

December 3, 2013 4:58 PM

Review by relieeeeeved:

For Anxiety: I had previously tried Cipralex, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Abilify, lamotrigine, mirtazapine, and benzodiazepines for my persistent anxiety. I heard that trazodone was a "weak" antidepressant, but its anxiolytic properties work magic for me. Unlike the other medications I tried I have hardly experienced any side effects except for some grogginess in the mornings. While its sedating effects aren't strong for me (I take Seroquel/clonazepam if required to fall asleep during stressful periods), my anxiety during the day and night has subsided considerably.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 2, 2013 10:41 PM

Review by angels11:

For Depression: I had a near on full nervous breakdown, I had been months without sleep and suffered depression. What I do find is that if you are woken half way through the night then there is no going back to sleep. Having stayed away from home recently and forgetting to take tablets with me, I ended up staying awake all night long. Cannot sleep without taking trazodone.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2013 6:02 AM

Review by Akester (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I have serious insomnia issues worse than most people. Trazodone helps to initiate sleep but not to maintain it. However, if you have another medicine that helps with sleep maintenance or that increases slow wave sleep, trazodone can be a good ally. (for me, a combination of pregabalin and gabapentin helps with the latter). Between 50-150 mg should do the trick. If the dose is too high, instead of sleeping you may get stuck in a state that is between sleeping and awake, which is not so great. Hence it's good to titrate upwards and find that sweet spot.

November 17, 2013 3:35 PM

Review by Geezzzz:

For Anxiety: Have been on this medication for approx. 4.5 months. Was experiencing panic attacks, high anxiety, insomnia, depression, and peri menopausal mood swings to the point it was interfering with work. My dr. started me on 50mg and currently on 150mg per night. Initially, I would fall asleep half hour to an hour after taking this medication and sleep soundly for 9 - 11 hrs, Now, it takes up to 2 hours to fall asleep and I get 6 - 8 hours a night. Panic attacks stopped, anxiety minimal, mood swings occasionally out of control, depression no change. Occassional burning feeling in stomach lately. Feel the need for a review and additional assist with depression.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 15, 2013 6:42 PM

Review by T CAS:

For Anxiety: I have had trouble sleeping for years now, especially during peri-menopausal phase. My doctor prescribed 50 mg of Trazadone and said I could go up as high as 100 mg if I wanted to. The drug really knocked me out -- I mean like 9 to 10 hours a night as I am only 5'2 at 120 pounds. So I dropped my dosage to just .25 mg per night and I sleep for a good 8.5 hours every single night. The problem I noted was I would have a cup or two of coffee in the morning around 9 a.m. and I would get SUPER dizzy and elevated blood pressure by like 10:30 a.m. and it would last until about 7 p.m., so I had to make the choice between sleep or my coffee in the morning and sleep won, of course. Take the lowest possible effective dosage.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 12, 2013 3:05 PM

Review by GardenGuru (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: Took 100mg for the first time last night. Don't think I rolled over all night - my hip is aching this morning, possibly because I slept in one position. I slept through my alarm this morning. Three cups of coffee later, I'm still groggy. I'll try 50mg tonight and see if it works without the side effects. I'd advise starting at a low dosage and working your way up.

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2013 10:30 AM

Review by Lorincz:

For Depression: This has been a miracle for me going through horrid menopause with terrible anxiety, worry and deep depression. I have been to point of wanting to end my life. I have tried over dozens of anti-depressants along with anti-anxiety meds but they made me feel worse. Now I am taking trazodone along with a couple of glasses of red wine along with Jasmine. The hot flashes are pretty much have gone away and get to sleep too. The anxiety and depression is now manageable thank God!! I would encourage all women do not allow your doctor to prescribe any benzos. It caused most of depression. The side effects were just horrible!!! It took me many months to overcome them. I had flu like symptoms and deep deep depression get ting of of them.

November 9, 2013 11:00 PM

Review by anon5001:

For Insomnia: Started taking trazodone as an aid to sleep, since I was upping my alprazolam to try and fall asleep, and didn't want to keep upping it (I take 1.5 mg/day). Have had trouble falling and staying asleep since I was young. Also take 40 mg citalopram for depression. Trazodone works great for me at 25 mg, taken ~30 minutes or so before sleeping, along with 0.5-1 mg alprazolam. Does have a dizzying effect, so I never take it unless I know I'm going to bed. Anything over 25 mg for me causes a hangover the next day (fogginess, tiredness), but I am petite. But it works wonders to calm a racing mind and get me to sleep and wake up feeling refreshed on 25 mg. Haven't experience other side effects, while taking mostly every day for ~ 2 years.

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 29, 2013 6:56 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: I have been on every antidepressant in the book except the MAO inhibitors for the past 20 years. In the past year every antidepressant in the class SSRI OR SNRI has given me diarrhea and I quit taking all of them. I am now on trazodone 225 mg which is partially helpful for insomnia and depression. I am also taking neurontin 300 mg. 3 times per day for pain which isn't helping but it does help my mood. I also am taking an old drug vistaril 50-100 mg. per night. No one pill will help me sleep. I take Lunesta 3 mg. which helps most of the time. My insurance won't pay the full amount because it is expensive. Heaven help me when I get on Medicare because it will force me to take generics and their isn't one of Lunesta yet. I tapered off

October 26, 2013 2:50 PM

Review by keep hoping to be normal (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: I take effexor, lamictal, ativan which are not helping too much. My doc gave me Trazodone to help with sleeping. I feel very groggy when waking up. It's not helping me with depression but helps me sleep.

October 20, 2013 1:14 PM

Review by suzanna r0311:

For Anxiety: I have been on trazodone for a week the best sleepaid ever! With the Wellbutrin I feel so balanced for the first time in my life.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 12, 2013 1:39 AM