Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 4 reviews 3 medications

4.2
Summary of Trazodone reviews 343 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Trazodone

Review by netgrouse (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: I have been taking trazodone on and off for about 8 years for insomnia. If I don't take it I can only sleep for about 2 hours. I take 50 to 100 Mg. If I take 50 Mg I get about 5 to 6 hours of good sleep with no side effects. If I take 100 Mg I will get 8 to 12 hours of sleep but have very vivid nightmares that seem very real and find myself thinking about the dreams for several days. Hope this helps.

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2013 7:43 AM

Review by The Equalizer:

For Insomnia: Trazodone works well me. I%u2019m 76 and about 10 years ago I started to sleep poorly when I had a mild bout of diverticulitis, which made it hard to fall asleep because of stomach pain. I began to take a mild sleeping aid, 50 mg diphenhydramine, which worked OK most of the time for 8 years. Then I had a recurrence of mild diverticulitis and diphenhydramine became ineffective. I switched to 50 mg trazodone, which I supplemented with 750 mg of acetaminophen. I take the two medicines together when I go to bed; read for 30 minutes; turn the lights out and fall asleep in usually less than 15 minutes. Most nights I sleep for more than 4 hours before I wake up because I need to urinate; I usually get back to sleep OK.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2013 1:27 PM

Review by anorexicxheart (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I started taking this a few days ago to replace Seroquel for depression and insomnia. It was terrible the first day it made me so dizzy I couldn't even sit up and after that it just made me drowsy I couldn't sleep at all and had to resort to taking Seroquel.

September 19, 2013 12:43 PM

Review by snakepriscin (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Insomnia: Just upped to 2 x 100mg, taken 1/2 hr before bed gives me about 2 extra hours of sleep. Calms me down and lets me go to sleep when lights are out. Very minor side effects...some dry mouth and a little "larger" in the morning. I wake up refreshed. It improved my quality of life for sure.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 17, 2013 2:04 PM

Review by deelooted (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I have been on this medication for two months and it is a lifesaver. I take 50mg twice a day for anxiety, and 200mg before sleep for insomnia. Now I sleep 8-10 hours every night. The only side effect for me is a little dry mouth, and that is no big deal for me, especially with how well the 50mg twice a day handles my anxiety.

September 10, 2013 4:35 PM

Review by mika10684 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Sedation: I been having extremely severe trouble getting to sleep & staying asleep (depression) psych put me on lamotrigine & trazodone, it did extremely well. I slept for 10-14 hrs. I stop it because I was thinking about conceiving. I had to go back on trazodone cause my sleep was very irregular. I'm back on trazodone for 2 months now, sleep getting better slowly but surely.

September 9, 2013 6:37 PM

Review by rested! (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: This helps me fall asleep fast and stay asleep most nights. I wake feeling rested, without that drowsy feeling the next morning. I would tell everyone who has insomnia to take this. I take trazodone every night and have not experienced any side effects. What a lifesaver

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 5, 2013 8:34 PM

Review by veggiegirl77 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Desyrel (trazodone) for Fibromyalgia: This medicine helped me sleep. I felt tired most of the morning hours. I've tried varying doses. Now I'm trying to get off of it. I'm taking 5 HTP, which seems to help me. But it didn't do anything for my fibromyalgia.

August 30, 2013 12:41 PM

Review by Spunky Gal (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: Most of my life I've been a good sleeper but as I've aged not so much anymore. The reasons are mostly related to pain. My rheumatologist prescribed trazodone because I could not tolerate most of the other meds. So I've been taking Tylenol PM with good results but with an awful hangover of 5-6 hours the morning after. So far the trazodone has given me the same benefit minus the morning fog. I've cut the pill in half and it has given me several nights of painless continued sleep. Awakening rested, painless and ready to start my day. Hopefully this may solve my sleepless problem and some pain too. I don't like medication but sometimes it really is necessary.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2013 12:39 PM

Review by tnr (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: I started trazodone 5 years ago during an acute episode of depression. I take Cymbalta as a maintenance against depression. Trazodone at 50 mg is very effective for me - it takes about 45 minutes to kick in. I get 7-8 hrs of sleep and do not feel groggy the next day. I can also split the 50 mg tablet and take 25 mg and get decent sleep - not as deep but still restful. I take trazodone every night and have not experienced any side effects in over 5 years.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2013 9:30 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I have been using trazodone for three years. I started on 25mg and this is still sufficient. I like that I do not have any side effects. I would encourage people to try trazodone before any type of scheduled sleep aid.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2013 1:40 AM

Review by deelooted (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I started off at 50mg, but had to move up to 150 - 200mg for it to put me to sleep, and I sleep a solid 8-9 hours easy, and hardly wake up at night. I also take 50mg twice a day in the day time to keep me mellow (I am bipolar 1 with psychotic features/ borderline personality disorder) and to help with anxiety- it works like a charm, and does not put me to sleep. I would like to note that I have yet to meet anyone else that takes it like this, but my psych doc says if it works, don't stop.

August 27, 2013 4:51 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: Plain and simple, this medicine has been a life saver. Been taking 100 mg for a few years. If I forget to take it, I am wide awake after 3 or 4 hours. When taken, 7 hours is generally the minimum. Side effects are FAR outweighed by the benefits. Going to begin coming off of Cymbalta completely. I attribute that to having a better outlook on things due to being fully rested. It is amazing what a good nights sleep does for the mind! I actually enjoy my occasional movie like vivid dreams.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2013 7:16 AM

Review by sax:

For Insomnia: Trazodone was given to me to help me sleep. Worked great until time to get up. I woke up with a headache, dizzy and drowsy felt awful the next morning.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2013 1:10 PM

For Depression: MY experience with this trazodone medication is not for me. I'm epileptic, it interferes with my Keppra.

August 6, 2013 3:46 PM

Review by Katherineleigh:

For Insomnia: I've taken trazodone (150 mg) every night for 8 years for sleep apnea and severe insomnia. It makes me fall asleep and stay asleep, but it makes me tired and drowsy the next day. It also gives me nightmares, and I wake up in cold sweats, and I've even woken up shouting before. I've tried over the counter meds and things like Lunesta but they make me hallucinate, and they don't make me tired enough to fall asleep. Overall Trazodone was effective but with one bad side effect.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2013 3:46 PM

Review by Anon5839655:

For Insomnia: Was just prescribed this medicine (the instant -release, not extended-release) for sleep and anxiety. I was told to take 150-300mg at night for sleep. I took 150mg last night and have been half asleep, mind in a fog, can't focus, etc. all day. I'm thinking I need to cut the dose back a lot. My anxiety is gone because I just don't have the energy to be anxious about anything right now. I have no idea if my sleep was "better" because I did wake up several times, but I fell asleep faster than normal each time I woke up.

August 1, 2013 12:21 PM

Review by conran:

For Insomnia: I was given trazodone for my mind racing. I was on Lunesta before, but I have to take two pills to fall asleep (6mg) and I guess 3mg is the daily limit. The doc gave me 50mg of trazodone it did nothing but make my vision blurry. I even took one Lunesta with the 50mg trazdone and was up all night long. So tonight I'm trying 100mg trazodone, noticed already my vision is blurry, HOPING this will allow me to sleep tonight.

July 27, 2013 7:44 PM

Review by Mart72:

For Depression: Take 100mg a hour before bed with good sleep results. Mornings can be foggy but nothing a few coffees won't fix. As for daytime results can feel the depression lifting with reduced anxiety (no mania,) this medication a life saver great stuff.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2013 2:49 PM

Review by Rob CC:

For Depression: My psychiatrist put me on this over Seroquel which had been causing my white blood cell count to drop. I had been on Seroquel for years, and was able to function on it. Not so with Trazodone. The 50 mg I started on put me to sleep, but I felt really groggy the next day. I've tried lowering the dose to 25 mg and I still feel absolutely tired. Some of the side effects I've had: bad cough, runny nose (at times), feeling like I have a constant mild headache, feeling disconnected sexually, sweatiness, and the last one is the most bothersome--erectile dysfunction. Sometimes, I can get a full erection, and sometimes I can only get about 3/4 of the way there. I'm going to fight to get back on the Seroquel which I still have and never caused any erectile dysfunction.

July 24, 2013 5:10 PM

Review by mrsroyde (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I have been on trazodone for over a month now. Started out on 100mg now on 150mg it has been heaven sent for me a few nights. Got in bed forgot to take it tossed and turn until I got up and take it, was asleep within mins. Never been fond of taking pills but had to try something also on Cymbalta 30mg.

July 23, 2013 10:21 PM

Review by Kellone2:

For Insomnia: I have been diagnosed with idiopathic hyper insomnia, my mind does NOT shut off at night. I have been prescribed 100 mg of Trazadone to sleep. Let me tell you!! I fall asleep with in a couple minutes and sleep all night, waking up refreshed. Lately though, I can sleep like a rock and still very tired through the day. I am wondering if maybe its from prolonged use. I cant even imagine sleeping with out it!

July 19, 2013 1:24 PM

Review by Dufferdan (taken for 10 years or more):

For Insomnia: In June 1999 I had a triple bypass. My cardiologist, knowing of sleep problems with bypass patients, prescribed 100mg Trazodone at bedtime. I went to sleep within 5 minutes of lying down. After 5 or 6 years we doubled the dose. There have been a few nights when I forgot to take it and lie in bed tossing/turning until I realized what had happened. I get up and take it and am asleep within 15 or 20 min. I can't imagine life without Trazodone.

July 12, 2013 6:22 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Insomnia: My own physician uses this medication as a sleep aid. I have used it for over 10 years for insomnia and feel like it's a miracle. Children were toddlers when I started using it. Before, I would get irritated, sick when they did, low energy, etc. It's amazing what sleep will do and I plan on taking it the rest of my life!

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 12, 2013 3:28 PM

Review by mm05 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: Started taking about 3 mths ago. I get wonderful deep restful sleep. No drowsiness in the morning. Only draw back is it takes a bit to kick in about 1-2 hours.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 26, 2013 11:11 PM