User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 5 reviews 2 medications

Headache 2 reviews 238 medications

5.5
Summary of Trazodone reviews 412 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Trazodone

For Depression: "This has helped me endlessly. I started taking it about 5 months ago, The first thing that it helps with is sleep, I'll fall asleep so easily & not wake, One thing I noticed however was the vivid dreaming, not too bad if you aren't freaked out by bad or plain weird dreams. For the first few days/weeks it was harder to get up in the morning but having caffeine really helps. I would always feel low before this medication, sad, hopeless and have no energy. With it I'm more confident, make more effort with other people, not afraid of my own company and anything that happens I can see logically. One of my problems was illogical thinking and this has reduced that by 90%. You'll have to be more careful with alcohol on this medication."

CKib (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2014

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "My wife and I have tried the whole gamut of sleep aids. Trazodone works pretty well. It seems to cause 'funny' dreams, but other than that, it does make you sleep. The only exception we have to most peoples experiences, is we find even 12.5 mg is 'too much', resulting in an over-sedated feeling the the morning. We try to cut the tablet in 8 parts, but it is difficult. So, a 25 mg, or even 10 mg tablet would be great."

Eric77 September 17, 2014

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I go through often occasions of insomnia, and I take 50 - 100 mg of Trazodone, usually after a few nights with no sleep because I don't like how groggy it leaves me feeling in the morning, but it really does help me sleep. It kicks in within an hour for me, though sometimes it can still take me a few hours to actually fall asleep, but I always do. I don't think it gives me more nightmares, but I do have very vivid dreams. All in all it does it's job and will keep taking it."

mamabear558 September 17, 2014

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I've slowly gone up from 100 to 150 etc to where I am now at 450 mg each night. Between the Dr. that originally put me on it to the newish Dr. they messed up my dosage but I'm back to 450mg now. During the times of the mess up, I would run out of trazodone and stay up for days on end until I finally caved and went to the local Pharmacy and was buying everything that I used to take over the counter. I got zero relief...I highly recommend this medication..from being upped on the dosage for the past many many years it does make you feel groggy to begin but only lasts about a week maximum two."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 13, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Have been on 50mg of trazadone for insomnia for years -- I began with 25 mg but went up to 50 about 5 years ago. I have had no difficulty whatever with this medication and hope others can get the relief I do. I get dozy in about a 1/2 hour after taking it and off I go to need-never-land!"

McFlaca (taken for 10 years or more) September 10, 2014

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder: "It helps me sleep and not have running thoughts or wake up panicked."

CindersPaws August 23, 2014

For Insomnia: "I take 100mg a night. I could not get to sleep or stay asleep. This medicine helps. I started it with 2 other medicines, at first on 3 medicines I had nightmares. Dropped one, then the next then the trazodone. Stayed off it for about 3 weeks with no problems except was having trouble sleeping. Taking it again and within 20 minutes I'm OUT! I think the nightmares were from other meds & getting off alcohol."

sunman August 21, 2014

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I have taken various doses of trazodone for Fibromyalgia and insomnia. I can fall asleep but wake up 3 hrs later. I take 50-100mg and fall back to sleep. Finally a more restful sleep. Ahhh!"

Hare (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2014

For Headache: "Horrible headache the day after (tried it on three different occasions to make sure it wasn't something else) and could do nothing other than lay in bed in the dark. "

Suzannesdd August 10, 2014

For Insomnia: "I have had sleep issues because of major anxiety and depression for over 10 years. It affected both falling asleep and staying asleep through the night. I tried other medications and then was put on Trazodone by my psych doctor. I take 150 mgs about a half hour to an hour before I go to bed and do not have to eat anything with it. (Someone had posted that they were concerned about that issue. I believe that is suggested for people who are on it daily for depression, not insomnia). Trazodone puts me to sleep minutes after I get into bed, and I sleep soundly until the alarm goes off."

Annmarie49 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 7, 2014

149 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I take trazodone, 150mg to 200mg for insomnia. To avoid morning grogginess, I take it at 7 or 8pm. This gives it more than enough time to get out of my system. Rarely have nightmares, but do have vivid interesting dreams about friends and family! I recommend this medicine for insomnia."

lizzytish (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 2, 2014

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I take 200mg of trazodone and 3mg eszopiclone (Lunesta) every night and have for the past 2 years. My trouble is not falling asleep but rather being able to stay asleep. If I didn't use medication I would only sleep 3-4 hours a night. I believe the trazodone does make me groggy but the sleep is most important. Those who say it causes nightmares or crazy dreams, this is true, but those cease after a week or two on the medication."

weavers (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "Makes me sweat at night tons but get a full 8 hours sleep now. Dry mouth. That's it."

Y.I (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2014

For Sedation: "I have relied on this medication for a very long time. With the latest refill I noticed the tablet had changed. Previously, it was an elongated oval tablet that easily snapped into sections. Now the shape has changed and it is very hard. One must use a pill cutter to divide it. My pill cutter will not permit me to cut it into 50mg. Most importantly it no longer works for me."

Oh My July 9, 2014

For Sedation: "I have found all of these comments to be fairly optimist. I have been experiencing headaches at a lower dose (50mg) but it took a slow progression to 200mg to solve my sleeping problem. Was also experiencing depression inspite of taking Celexa (40mg), Wellbutrin (300mg) and Risperdal (0.5mg). Now Trazodone (200mg) is added to that mix. The headaches are now gone and I'm sleeping well and the depression is better; I have, however, been experiencing side effects, like restless leg syndrome, inability to get up before noon (I go to bed at 11:30pm), and painful knees (more than usual). I am having memory issues, which is why I've been prescribed Trazodone in place of Temazepam, which is not good for my brain. Well that's my story - hope it helps."

DementiaFighter1957 July 4, 2014

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I took this medication only 2 nights. It made me have horrible nightmares, almost night terrors. And even after I calmed down from the nightmares that woke me, I was very panicked and freaked out and couldn't go back to sleep. This medicine is certainly NOT for me!"

Scorpiogirl1972 July 3, 2014

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I am 75 years old and have been taking trazodone for sleep for about ten years. I take 150 mg. It is a miracle for insomnia. I sleep 8 hours a night straight though. Yes, you do feel groggy in the morning when you first start taking it, but it goes away with time, so don't give up too soon when you start it because of grogginess. I have never heard of taking it with food as one person said. It is non addictive and I feel so rested that I do not feel the need for naps that I always used to take before trazodone."

marysunshine (taken for 10 years or more) July 1, 2014

203 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "It helps a lot for getting to sleep, not so much for staying asleep past 6 hours."

johndcravens (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 27, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Sedation: "Makes me sleep"

deblojo13 (taken for 10 years or more) June 23, 2014

For Depression: "Originally I started taking trazodone for insomnia, but was fearful of taking too much so I minimized my dose and that was a mistake. I believe its important to take the amount that starts working consistently for you as you titrate up to a dose that starts working. And you need to give it time to build up in your system. I'm up to 250 mg when I go to bed, I will take another 50 mg and that tends to give me a couple hours more sleep if I wake up too early. What's really amazing about this medicine is that I no longer struggle with depression or anxiety. It keeps my brain in chemical balance and I think clearly with no side effects, except I'm a little tired in the morning. So I drink a big cup of coffee and that helps."

kjhand June 20, 2014

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Desyrel (trazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I am currently on the trazodone, and while it is not as effective as the Seroquel in terms of a sleep aid, it works well when augmented with Zoloft for depression."

legakris (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2014

For Insomnia: "My psych suggested using trazodone (50mg) for my insomnia issues along with my antidepressant Prozac (20 then 40mg) the first night I took it I couldn't get to sleep for a few hours but once I was sleep I was knocked out. When I woke up I was groggy all day. So I didn't take it the next night. Then the night after that I tried it again and I slept like a baby that night and the next two nights after that. My only issue with it is my dreams are very vivid and are on the nightmare side. But I like the meds. If my dreams continue to be bad I may try something else"

Jenbeezy May 28, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I couldn't sleep at all and that's taking 2 pills"

IBS (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2014

For Anxiety: "My 11 yr old daughter has been taking 50mg trazodone for nearly a year now. She has Aspergers and her anxiety used to be through the roof. Her insomnia was so bad, she literally could stay up for days at a time. I was reluctant at first, but its been a God-send. Her grades at school has improved and her social anxieties have lessened. The first week of taking them, she was slow to wake up and we had to allow for extra wake up time on school days. Her body adjusted and now there is no morning grogginess."

mawms (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 18, 2014

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Desyrel (trazodone) for Fibromyalgia: "It has greatly helped with my ability to sleep."

Lalau (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2014