User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 5 reviews 2 medications

Headache 2 reviews 205 medications

5.5
Summary of Trazodone reviews 453 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Trazodone

For Insomnia: "Have used for 12 years for sleep. Take 400mg before bed, sometimes 500mg. I fall asleep within 15 minutes and sleep all through the night."

Maxbyron February 27, 2015

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Excellent"

FDNY (taken for 10 years or more) February 25, 2015

Oleptro (trazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I like it. I took original Trazodone and it made me way too drowsy but as this is slow release I take it in the morning and feel calm all day. I'm actually using it for Panic and obsessive compulsive disorder and depression."

johnwithanxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2015

For Sedation: "I started taking Trazodone, about 3-4 yrs ago, to help me get to sleep and therefore stay asleep. I started with 50mg, but am now on 100mgs. It has been a blessing, and the fact that it is a non-narcotic is important too as I have addiction and depression problems. I Take it right before bed, read for about 15-20min and I am zonked out. "

JDC88 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I started out on a 100 mg.. Best sleep. Wake happy. Ready to go. I love it. Perfect for me."

Tammy Texas (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2015

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I was put on 50mg trazodone almost 4 weeks ago, for anxiety with the resultant insomnia. Within a few days, I felt much calmer and not worrying and getting worked up about simple things. It was day 10 before it really kicked in to help me sleep, I will sleep for maybe 2-3 nights in a row, then have a wakeful night, although I still feel rested after a few hrs sleep. All things considered, they are helping me a lot."

Yotanka7 (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2015

For Insomnia: "Insomnia has plagued me for years. I'm a night owl by nature, but my job as a health professional requires early hours and a high level of alertness. Started with Ambien, used both regular and controlled release. The early morning fog was horrendous...I narrowly avoided getting killed when I fell asleep at the wheel going into work. Next was Lunesta, which left a terrible metallic taste in my mouth, rendering most food virtually inedible. Great for dieting, but not what I was looking for. Trazodone has been an absolute god-send. 50mg, one hour before bed, no hangover, good to go for two years running. Words of caution: although not addicting, it does take a few days to readjust to "normal" sleep patterns. And don't miss the sleep window!"

No names please (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 17, 2015

For Sedation: "Got pescribed this while in the hospital for mental health and substance abuse issues. Non habit forming, which is great, but I feel wicked groggy and out of it in the morning. I break the pill in half so I'm not as out of it when I wake up. The doctors advised me of prolonged erections in the morning. They were right."

the Warrior (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2015

For Insomnia: "I had no side effects, or grogginess when using this 100 mg tablet."

katy texas (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 13, 2015

For Depression: "i have suffered with anxiety and insomina for 15 years..trazadone with mirtazapine has changed my life for the better..i give it a 10 outa 10.."

safeforce February 2, 2015

For Depression: "I've tried several SSRI-class medications over the years starting around age 15...(sertraline, Lexapro, Celexa). All of them gave me uncomfortable side effects...(anorgasmia, RLS, nightmares, inability to sleep). I was never able to take them long enough to get any anti-depressant or anxiolytic effects due to the unbearable side effects. I finally went and got a prescription for Trazodone along with a prescription for Valium around 5 days ago. I started by taking 12.5mg for 4 days. Last night I upped my dose to 25mg. Today is the first time I've woken up and actually felt good. I can fall asleep quickly and easily and my mood has been greatly improved. I highly recommend this medicine to anyone who has not had good experiences with conventional SSRIs."

User518 January 30, 2015

For Sedation: "I went to rehab for Xanax detox and they prescribe me trazadone 100mg to take before bedtime. Due to the side effect of coming off benzos and not being able to sleep this medication does me so much wonders. I take it and within 15 min I'm ready to fall asleep and wake up refreshed. I understand some other people have different opinions but it really did help me and I'm thankful for my psychiatrist prescribing it to me."

Tool1691 (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "My MD recommended I start taking 25mg at night to help with my sleep/anxiety issues. The past six months I've been battling anxiety and depression intermittently. The past 4 days have been the best since the attacks started. I really can't say enough. No side effects for me at all."

Fearlessnomore (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2015

For Insomnia: "This is a true story. I started taking Trazodone 50 mg eight months ago when I was so stressed out because my son was addicted to Ambien I passed out at work. He was crazy on the Ambien and I was crazy worrying about him! The doctor prescribed Trazodone and I've been taking it every night since then. I don't know what I would do without it! In one nights I still wake up several times, but overall I sleep 100% better. I would love to be off of it but for this time in my life, it's been a lifesaver."

K1965 January 17, 2015

167 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I've been on trazodone for almost a year. I have trouble sleeping. They started me off at 50 mg...my body got used to it so they upped my dosage to 100 mg. I noticed that I felt awful in the morning. Felt like the room was spinning, I didn't want to get out of the bed and not to mention being irritable. For some reason I'm at 150mg now. I just split them down the middle but I noticed my dreams are really weird now."

Marleigh87 January 12, 2015

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I took 100 milligram trazodone for the first time last night. It did help me sleep but I woke up with a terrible headache and around lunchtime I felt foggy and almost hungover."

kb78 (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2015

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "I took trazodone for over a year with no problems. Best sleep aid I ever had. All of the sudden it started giving me priapism. Ended up in the hospital for 16 hours and it wasn't pleasant (300 mg). I scaled back all of the way to 25 mg and ended up in the hospital for 5 hours. Now that I'm off of it, my sleeping is terrible. I have a hard time waking up. I miss trazodone. I can't find anything else like it."

Bwcoolk January 5, 2015

For Insomnia: "I was diagnosed with insomnia after I underwent extensive chemotherapy and was put on every other sleep aid known (Ambien, Lunesta, Edular, Intermezzo, etc.). After having a horrible side effect from Ambien which sent me to the hospital for numerous days, I was given Trazodone 25mg a night to take. I have the best results from it. When I need it, it responds great with no problems the following morning."

Anonymous January 2, 2015

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I've been on Trazodone for more than four years. Started for insomnia during my PhD program. I'm a woman, 5-10, 170, and work out five days/week). I need between 100-150 mg to get this medicine to work, but I have never had the hangover the next morning. Most sleep aids knock me out for days - that's never been an issue with Trazodone - I would not have finished my PhD or survived my first year as a full-time professor without it."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2015

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have been taking 10 mg of Ambien for about 4 months and I want to get off of it so my doctor recommended that I try trazodone instead. I tried 200 mg of trazodone without the Ambien and I had a horrible night. It took over 3 hours to fall asleep and when I did finally get to sleep, I had horrible nightmares. Since then, I have been taking 5 mg of Ambien along with 100 mg of trazodone and it has been all right. I go right to sleep, I sleep all night, and I only have a few vivid dreams. I want to wean myself off Ambien completely so it will just take some time."

Want off Ambien Trying Trazodone (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2014

For Insomnia: "I tried trazodone for the first time last night. I was prescribed to take up to 75 mg before bedtime. I took 50 mg at 9 pm and wasn't feeling tired or less anxious by 10 pm, so then I took another 25 mg. Around 11:30 pm I finally started nodding off and slept soundly until 7 am. I have tried over the counter sleeping medications and Ativan twice. I would say this medication is better than over the counter stuff and is like a milder version of Ativan. It didn't put me to sleep right away, but when it finally kicked it, it worked very well. Hope this review helps!"

PaddyC (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2014

158 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I have had an issue for many years where I could not shut my brain off when I went to sleep. My doctors had tried Xanax, Valium, sleeping pills (over counter and prescription) and though some worked initially they did not completely work for me. I was talking to a Psychiatrist friend of mine and they suggested that I try Trazodone. After researching it and seeing that it was an anti-depressant I was extremely skeptical and concerned about side effects. I started with 50mg at night and the first night I took it was the best nights sleep I had in a long time. I am now on 100mg at night and always have great nights sleep. The only side effect I have is vivid dreams."

MisterDinMaryland December 17, 2014

For Insomnia: "I was put on 100mg, which was far too much for me. I would be tired and in a fog the next day even after a very restful night's sleep. My doctor told me to split the pills in half and I still got the sleep I needed without the severe drowsiness the next day. Now, I don't have to take it every single night to sleep."

StephanieAlice (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 7, 2014

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I was put on this pill 100mg for anxiety and sleep issues. After two days of taking the pills I started to have angry and violent thoughts and feelings. My sleep didn't get any better either. I stopped taking after those two days."

Megooooh December 1, 2014

For Depression: "I am going to start this medication tonight and by reading these reviews I am so hopeful. Thank you to everyone who has posted the good and the bad!"

Maria_75 November 25, 2014