User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 4 reviews 3 medications

4.2
Summary of Trazodone reviews 355 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Trazodone

Review by GardenGuru (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: Took 100mg for the first time last night. Don't think I rolled over all night - my hip is aching this morning, possibly because I slept in one position. I slept through my alarm this morning. Three cups of coffee later, I'm still groggy. I'll try 50mg tonight and see if it works without the side effects. I'd advise starting at a low dosage and working your way up.

133 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2013 10:30 AM

Review by Lorincz:

For Depression: This has been a miracle for me going through horrid menopause with terrible anxiety, worry and deep depression. I have been to point of wanting to end my life. I have tried over dozens of anti-depressants along with anti-anxiety meds but they made me feel worse. Now I am taking trazodone along with a couple of glasses of red wine along with Jasmine. The hot flashes are pretty much have gone away and get to sleep too. The anxiety and depression is now manageable thank God!! I would encourage all women do not allow your doctor to prescribe any benzos. It caused most of depression. The side effects were just horrible!!! It took me many months to overcome them. I had flu like symptoms and deep deep depression get ting of of them.

November 9, 2013 11:00 PM

Review by anon5001:

For Insomnia: Started taking trazodone as an aid to sleep, since I was upping my alprazolam to try and fall asleep, and didn't want to keep upping it (I take 1.5 mg/day). Have had trouble falling and staying asleep since I was young. Also take 40 mg citalopram for depression. Trazodone works great for me at 25 mg, taken ~30 minutes or so before sleeping, along with 0.5-1 mg alprazolam. Does have a dizzying effect, so I never take it unless I know I'm going to bed. Anything over 25 mg for me causes a hangover the next day (fogginess, tiredness), but I am petite. But it works wonders to calm a racing mind and get me to sleep and wake up feeling refreshed on 25 mg. Haven't experience other side effects, while taking mostly every day for ~ 2 years.

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 29, 2013 6:56 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: I have been on every antidepressant in the book except the MAO inhibitors for the past 20 years. In the past year every antidepressant in the class SSRI OR SNRI has given me diarrhea and I quit taking all of them. I am now on trazodone 225 mg which is partially helpful for insomnia and depression. I am also taking neurontin 300 mg. 3 times per day for pain which isn't helping but it does help my mood. I also am taking an old drug vistaril 50-100 mg. per night. No one pill will help me sleep. I take Lunesta 3 mg. which helps most of the time. My insurance won't pay the full amount because it is expensive. Heaven help me when I get on Medicare because it will force me to take generics and their isn't one of Lunesta yet. I tapered off

October 26, 2013 2:50 PM

Review by keep hoping to be normal (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: I take effexor, lamictal, ativan which are not helping too much. My doc gave me Trazodone to help with sleeping. I feel very groggy when waking up. It's not helping me with depression but helps me sleep.

October 20, 2013 1:14 PM

Review by suzanna r0311:

For Anxiety: I have been on trazodone for a week the best sleepaid ever! With the Wellbutrin I feel so balanced for the first time in my life.

October 12, 2013 1:39 AM

Review by gengis42 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Insomnia: I have been on Trazodone for about a year and a half now. I never have had a good nights sleep until I started trazodone. I started with 50mg and it worked decently but I only slept for 6hrs. About 6 months ago I started taking 100mg and I sleep like a baby for 7-9 hrs straight. The intense vivid dreams are actually quite fun. I have never had nightmares on it. When I wake up I am no more out of it than when I didn't take the medicine. I would highly recommend trazodone to anyone with sleeping problems.

237 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2013 4:29 AM

Review by glad to sleep (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: I have been taking this for about 6 months. I have anxiety and depression, and can't fall asleep because my mind is constantly going like a video recorder. I love it. No side effects, feel good waking up, sleep like a baby all night long. Look forward to going to bed at night knowing I will sleep through the night.

194 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2013 6:47 AM

For Insomnia: Taken 30 minutes before bedtime, 50mg of Trazodone made me extremely drowsy. I probably fell asleep rather quickly, but I tossed-n-turned throughout the night! I also experienced very strange dreams. Twelve hours after taking the medication, I awoke feeling very groggy, off-balanced, and had a headache; hang-over feeling.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2013 2:09 PM

Review by Sleepymo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I have suffered from insomnia for 4 years. I tried Ambien: 10 mg wouldn't keep me asleep for more than 3-4 hours. I'm rather paranoid about new medications, since I fear weird side effects. So with trepidation I tried Trazodone (after having it on my night stand for almost two weeks until I got the courage!). I'm so thankful that I did. It put me gently into a nice sleep, I slept the first time for 7 1/2 hours straight and had only a couple tolerable side effects; my nose gets a little stuffy and a few times I've woken with slight dry cough. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but I've lost 14 lbs since taking it! (2 months) An added bonus is that it helps keep my mind from racing so I CAN fall asleep. Hooray, Trazodone!

165 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2013 12:57 AM

Review by Cinswish (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Fibromyalgia: It's done well for myself!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2013 9:51 PM

Review by cortizcasw (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: I have had trouble sleeping since Junior High School. Tried every thing under the sun. Started taking trazodone for less then a week. I do fall asleep within half hour of taking 50 mg, what a life saver, but I do wake up a little "out of it". I do sleep through the night.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2013 11:02 PM

Review by netgrouse (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: I have been taking trazodone on and off for about 8 years for insomnia. If I don't take it I can only sleep for about 2 hours. I take 50 to 100 Mg. If I take 50 Mg I get about 5 to 6 hours of good sleep with no side effects. If I take 100 Mg I will get 8 to 12 hours of sleep but have very vivid nightmares that seem very real and find myself thinking about the dreams for several days. Hope this helps.

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2013 7:43 AM

Review by The Equalizer:

For Insomnia: Trazodone works well me. I%u2019m 76 and about 10 years ago I started to sleep poorly when I had a mild bout of diverticulitis, which made it hard to fall asleep because of stomach pain. I began to take a mild sleeping aid, 50 mg diphenhydramine, which worked OK most of the time for 8 years. Then I had a recurrence of mild diverticulitis and diphenhydramine became ineffective. I switched to 50 mg trazodone, which I supplemented with 750 mg of acetaminophen. I take the two medicines together when I go to bed; read for 30 minutes; turn the lights out and fall asleep in usually less than 15 minutes. Most nights I sleep for more than 4 hours before I wake up because I need to urinate; I usually get back to sleep OK.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2013 1:27 PM

Review by anorexicxheart (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I started taking this a few days ago to replace Seroquel for depression and insomnia. It was terrible the first day it made me so dizzy I couldn't even sit up and after that it just made me drowsy I couldn't sleep at all and had to resort to taking Seroquel.

September 19, 2013 12:43 PM

Review by snakepriscin (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Insomnia: Just upped to 2 x 100mg, taken 1/2 hr before bed gives me about 2 extra hours of sleep. Calms me down and lets me go to sleep when lights are out. Very minor side effects...some dry mouth and a little "larger" in the morning. I wake up refreshed. It improved my quality of life for sure.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 17, 2013 2:04 PM

Review by deelooted (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I have been on this medication for two months and it is a lifesaver. I take 50mg twice a day for anxiety, and 200mg before sleep for insomnia. Now I sleep 8-10 hours every night. The only side effect for me is a little dry mouth, and that is no big deal for me, especially with how well the 50mg twice a day handles my anxiety.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2013 4:35 PM

Review by mika10684 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Sedation: I been having extremely severe trouble getting to sleep & staying asleep (depression) psych put me on lamotrigine & trazodone, it did extremely well. I slept for 10-14 hrs. I stop it because I was thinking about conceiving. I had to go back on trazodone cause my sleep was very irregular. I'm back on trazodone for 2 months now, sleep getting better slowly but surely.

September 9, 2013 6:37 PM

Review by rested! (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: This helps me fall asleep fast and stay asleep most nights. I wake feeling rested, without that drowsy feeling the next morning. I would tell everyone who has insomnia to take this. I take trazodone every night and have not experienced any side effects. What a lifesaver

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 5, 2013 8:34 PM

Review by veggiegirl77 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Desyrel (trazodone) for Fibromyalgia: This medicine helped me sleep. I felt tired most of the morning hours. I've tried varying doses. Now I'm trying to get off of it. I'm taking 5 HTP, which seems to help me. But it didn't do anything for my fibromyalgia.

August 30, 2013 12:41 PM

Review by Spunky Gal (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: Most of my life I've been a good sleeper but as I've aged not so much anymore. The reasons are mostly related to pain. My rheumatologist prescribed trazodone because I could not tolerate most of the other meds. So I've been taking Tylenol PM with good results but with an awful hangover of 5-6 hours the morning after. So far the trazodone has given me the same benefit minus the morning fog. I've cut the pill in half and it has given me several nights of painless continued sleep. Awakening rested, painless and ready to start my day. Hopefully this may solve my sleepless problem and some pain too. I don't like medication but sometimes it really is necessary.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2013 12:39 PM

Review by tnr (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: I started trazodone 5 years ago during an acute episode of depression. I take Cymbalta as a maintenance against depression. Trazodone at 50 mg is very effective for me - it takes about 45 minutes to kick in. I get 7-8 hrs of sleep and do not feel groggy the next day. I can also split the 50 mg tablet and take 25 mg and get decent sleep - not as deep but still restful. I take trazodone every night and have not experienced any side effects in over 5 years.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2013 9:30 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I have been using trazodone for three years. I started on 25mg and this is still sufficient. I like that I do not have any side effects. I would encourage people to try trazodone before any type of scheduled sleep aid.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2013 1:40 AM

Review by deelooted (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I started off at 50mg, but had to move up to 150 - 200mg for it to put me to sleep, and I sleep a solid 8-9 hours easy, and hardly wake up at night. I also take 50mg twice a day in the day time to keep me mellow (I am bipolar 1 with psychotic features/ borderline personality disorder) and to help with anxiety- it works like a charm, and does not put me to sleep. I would like to note that I have yet to meet anyone else that takes it like this, but my psych doc says if it works, don't stop.

August 27, 2013 4:51 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: Plain and simple, this medicine has been a life saver. Been taking 100 mg for a few years. If I forget to take it, I am wide awake after 3 or 4 hours. When taken, 7 hours is generally the minimum. Side effects are FAR outweighed by the benefits. Going to begin coming off of Cymbalta completely. I attribute that to having a better outlook on things due to being fully rested. It is amazing what a good nights sleep does for the mind! I actually enjoy my occasional movie like vivid dreams.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2013 7:16 AM