User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 4 reviews 3 medications

4.2
Summary of Trazodone reviews 332 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Trazodone

Review by deelooted (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I started off at 50mg, but had to move up to 150 - 200mg for it to put me to sleep, and I sleep a solid 8-9 hours easy, and hardly wake up at night. I also take 50mg twice a day in the day time to keep me mellow (I am bipolar 1 with psychotic features/ borderline personality disorder) and to help with anxiety- it works like a charm, and does not put me to sleep. I would like to note that I have yet to meet anyone else that takes it like this, but my psych doc says if it works, don't stop.

August 27, 2013 4:51 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: Plain and simple, this medicine has been a life saver. Been taking 100 mg for a few years. If I forget to take it, I am wide awake after 3 or 4 hours. When taken, 7 hours is generally the minimum. Side effects are FAR outweighed by the benefits. Going to begin coming off of Cymbalta completely. I attribute that to having a better outlook on things due to being fully rested. It is amazing what a good nights sleep does for the mind! I actually enjoy my occasional movie like vivid dreams.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2013 7:16 AM

Review by sax:

For Insomnia: Trazodone was given to me to help me sleep. Worked great until time to get up. I woke up with a headache, dizzy and drowsy felt awful the next morning.

August 14, 2013 1:10 PM

For Depression: MY experience with this trazodone medication is not for me. I'm epileptic, it interferes with my Keppra.

August 6, 2013 3:46 PM

Review by Katherineleigh:

For Insomnia: I've taken trazodone (150 mg) every night for 8 years for sleep apnea and severe insomnia. It makes me fall asleep and stay asleep, but it makes me tired and drowsy the next day. It also gives me nightmares, and I wake up in cold sweats, and I've even woken up shouting before. I've tried over the counter meds and things like Lunesta but they make me hallucinate, and they don't make me tired enough to fall asleep. Overall Trazodone was effective but with one bad side effect.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2013 3:46 PM

Review by Anon5839655:

For Insomnia: Was just prescribed this medicine (the instant -release, not extended-release) for sleep and anxiety. I was told to take 150-300mg at night for sleep. I took 150mg last night and have been half asleep, mind in a fog, can't focus, etc. all day. I'm thinking I need to cut the dose back a lot. My anxiety is gone because I just don't have the energy to be anxious about anything right now. I have no idea if my sleep was "better" because I did wake up several times, but I fell asleep faster than normal each time I woke up.

August 1, 2013 12:21 PM

Review by conran:

For Insomnia: I was given trazodone for my mind racing. I was on Lunesta before, but I have to take two pills to fall asleep (6mg) and I guess 3mg is the daily limit. The doc gave me 50mg of trazodone it did nothing but make my vision blurry. I even took one Lunesta with the 50mg trazdone and was up all night long. So tonight I'm trying 100mg trazodone, noticed already my vision is blurry, HOPING this will allow me to sleep tonight.

July 27, 2013 7:44 PM

Review by Mart72:

For Depression: Take 100mg a hour before bed with good sleep results. Mornings can be foggy but nothing a few coffees won't fix. As for daytime results can feel the depression lifting with reduced anxiety (no mania,) this medication a life saver great stuff.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2013 2:49 PM

Review by Rob CC:

For Depression: My psychiatrist put me on this over Seroquel which had been causing my white blood cell count to drop. I had been on Seroquel for years, and was able to function on it. Not so with Trazodone. The 50 mg I started on put me to sleep, but I felt really groggy the next day. I've tried lowering the dose to 25 mg and I still feel absolutely tired. Some of the side effects I've had: bad cough, runny nose (at times), feeling like I have a constant mild headache, feeling disconnected sexually, sweatiness, and the last one is the most bothersome--erectile dysfunction. Sometimes, I can get a full erection, and sometimes I can only get about 3/4 of the way there. I'm going to fight to get back on the Seroquel which I still have and never caused any erectile dysfunction.

July 24, 2013 5:10 PM

Review by mrsroyde (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I have been on trazodone for over a month now. Started out on 100mg now on 150mg it has been heaven sent for me a few nights. Got in bed forgot to take it tossed and turn until I got up and take it, was asleep within mins. Never been fond of taking pills but had to try something also on Cymbalta 30mg.

July 23, 2013 10:21 PM

Review by Kellone2:

For Insomnia: I have been diagnosed with idiopathic hyper insomnia, my mind does NOT shut off at night. I have been prescribed 100 mg of Trazadone to sleep. Let me tell you!! I fall asleep with in a couple minutes and sleep all night, waking up refreshed. Lately though, I can sleep like a rock and still very tired through the day. I am wondering if maybe its from prolonged use. I cant even imagine sleeping with out it!

July 19, 2013 1:24 PM

Review by Dufferdan (taken for 10 years or more):

For Insomnia: In June 1999 I had a triple bypass. My cardiologist, knowing of sleep problems with bypass patients, prescribed 100mg Trazodone at bedtime. I went to sleep within 5 minutes of lying down. After 5 or 6 years we doubled the dose. There have been a few nights when I forgot to take it and lie in bed tossing/turning until I realized what had happened. I get up and take it and am asleep within 15 or 20 min. I can't imagine life without Trazodone.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 12, 2013 6:22 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Insomnia: My own physician uses this medication as a sleep aid. I have used it for over 10 years for insomnia and feel like it's a miracle. Children were toddlers when I started using it. Before, I would get irritated, sick when they did, low energy, etc. It's amazing what sleep will do and I plan on taking it the rest of my life!

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 12, 2013 3:28 PM

Review by mm05 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: Started taking about 3 mths ago. I get wonderful deep restful sleep. No drowsiness in the morning. Only draw back is it takes a bit to kick in about 1-2 hours.

June 26, 2013 11:11 PM

Review by nikkkiii 27years old (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I got a severe migraine after taking it once. I ended up going to the hospital to get a needle to ease the pain.

June 24, 2013 10:43 PM

Review by UpstateNurse (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: Starting taking Trazodone about eight years ago for insomnia. Does a great job to calm a racing mind. I've been free of sleepless nights for years thanks to this. Found my therapeutic level to be 25 mg taken with a small amount of food before bed.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2013 1:11 PM

For Insomnia: I've had trouble sleeping since I was a kid, especially in unfamiliar places or when other people were around. Over the past few years, I've taken Benadryl or Ambien most nights, but neither helped me when I wasn't sleeping in my own bed or was very stressed about something. Even when I could fall asleep, I'd toss and turn all night and every little sound or movement would wake me up. Trazodone has been great for me. I did suffer dry mouth and vivid dreams at the beginning, but those side effects have tapered off for me. For the first time in my life, I don't worry about being able to fall and stay asleep.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 18, 2013 3:56 PM

Review by Jess0908:

For Fibromyalgia: Great for getting a good nights sleep without the hangover feeling the next day. Tried to stop taking it and had terrible withdrawals and didn't sleep for 3 nights. Will not try that again! Doesn't do much for the pain.

June 2, 2013 2:26 PM

For Insomnia: Been on it for over a year. I take 0-100 mg a night as needed, but typically it's 100. After the first two weeks I've had few side effects (at first there was dry mouth, headaches, as my body adjusted to it). Once I take it I have to keep myself occupied for an hour or two, not yet trying to sleep, but still relaxing, watching T.V, reading, etc., until the medicine takes effect. When that happens, it's very clear. I can pretty much shut my eyes and fall asleep within minutes. The only downside is that my already detailed and abundant nightmares are very much heightened and are often disturbing, which makes me wake up feeling disturbed but not drowsy. Would recommend.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2013 9:58 PM

Review by nikadi2009 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: I started taking 50mg at night about a year ago. I love the sleep I receive on this medicine. I sleep deeply through the night without any crazy dreams. I jump out of bed in the morning feeling refreshed and ready to start the day. I only gave it an 8 rating because it has affected my sex life. I cannot achieve an orgasm while on this medicine. It is effecting my life tremendously. My doctor switched me to Ambien. Hopefully that will help.

May 28, 2013 6:18 PM

Review by rl3 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: I started trazodone 7 years ago. 50 mg at first then reduced to 25mg. It allows me to fall asleep fast and stay asleep. Can not tell if it affects mood. No known side effects.

May 19, 2013 6:37 PM

Review by sleeplessness, anxiety (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Increases my heart rate and did not help me sleep. If I take it early in the day it helps with anxiety but it is supposed to be a sleep aid. Since it affects my heart and I am near 60 it is not for me.

May 11, 2013 8:52 PM

Review by It worked for me (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Trazodone has worked fine for me so far. My doctor is treating me for anxiety, depression, and interrupted sleep. My experience is that after an hour of taking this medication I'm ready for bed and fall asleep throughout the night. I also sleep throughout the morning getting a total of 10-11 hours which is what concerns me, and also wake up a little disoriented but after 5-10 minutes (walking around thinking about breakfast/lunch) it goes away. I'm used to taking the medication around 11pm and be in bed by 12am which can be the reason of waking up late, so tonight I'm going to take it at 9am and hopefully go to bed by 10pm and I should be up by 8am and ready to eat and go for a swim.

May 11, 2013 4:25 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Desyrel (trazodone) for Sedation: I took it for insomnia. I'll give a two because it definitely knocked me out. I tried it for about a week or so and the side effects didn't go away. I was mindless - a zombie. I was interested in absolutely nothing. A friend would point out hot chicks walking by and the most I would give was a "meh". I did my school work, ate food, and sat around with friends - just sat there as everyone else had fun.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 3, 2013 3:07 PM

Review by 19 year old guy (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: I took trazodone first at 50 mg and it did not help me. I than switched to 100 mg and it still did no help me. I don't know how other people are so lucky.

April 26, 2013 8:10 AM