User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Headache 1 reviews 234 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Trazodone reviews 308 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Trazodone

Review by 19 year old guy (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

trazodone for Insomnia: I took trazodone first at 50 mg and it did not help me. I than switched to 100 mg and it still did no help me. I don't know how other people are so lucky.

April 26, 2013 8:10 AM
Review by Anonymous_1234: User Rating:

trazodone for Sedation: I've been on trazadone for a month now, and I take 100mg as needed for sleep. I love that I can actually fall asleep within 20 minutes and stay asleep, but it's impossible for me to wake up. I've slept through alarm clocks, roommates coming in my room, the smoke detector going off. It puts me in a really deep sleep for a minimum of 10-12 hours. That's my only downside with it. You feel great in the morning, but I've missed work and a few classes because of it.

April 17, 2013 11:14 AM
Review by WooCash (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

trazodone for Insomnia: For the past month I have been taking trazodone 25mg for my chronic insomnia. It has simply saved me. Before if I could get about 3 hours of sleep I would be happy. Since I have been taking trazodone I sleep about 6 hours every night and I'm able to function normally during the day. Before I was completely exhausted all the time and I would be scared of the thought of going to bed. Now this insomnia anxiety has completely gone away. The only negative thing is I do tend to have big mood swings. But I'm not sure whether it has anything to do with the medicine itself or simply my life situation. Overall - it cured my insomnia but not my depression.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 13, 2013 4:33 PM
Review by captkriz: User Rating:

trazodone for Insomnia: I have a hard time sleeping since I was a teen. Trazodone has been a God send. I started with 50mg and went quickly to 100mg. I split my pill in half and take 1/2 of it about 2 hrs before bed and the other half at bedtime. If I take it all at once my head stuffs up. That is the only side effect that I have noticed. I wake up with no grogginess and feel great.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2013 4:00 PM
Review by John909: User Rating:

Desyrel (trazodone) for Sedation: I really like trazodone. It helps me sleep and makes me feel more like getting up the next day instead of wanting to stay in bed. There have been a few times however that I took 100 mgs instead of 50 and it made me so faint/lightheaded that I had to lay down in the floor where I was at. I couldn't make it to the bed. 100 mgs doesn't always do that but there have been 3 or 4 times that it did.

April 3, 2013 4:35 AM
Review by toadie70: User Rating:

trazodone for Insomnia: Started this med about 1.5 wks ago. I don't have trouble going to sleep, but wake often through the night from bad/disturbing dreams. Then my mind started to race and I can't turn off- sometimes for hours. I would also wake in the morning with the veil of the most recent bad dream in my head and feeling exhausted. Trazodone helps my mind rest. I still wake 2 or 3 times a night, and I am still doing some dreaming, but don't wake crying or upset and can go back to sleep quickly. I always have been thirsty through the night and still wake and drink water- I don't think the medicine is making this worse. Is a bit harder to get going in the morning, but not enough to negate the positives. I also take 60mg Cymbalta every day for many yrs now.

March 27, 2013 12:31 PM
Review by Cora1123: User Rating:

trazodone for Insomnia: After complaining to my doctor that I couldn't fall asleep and when I did, the slightest noise could wake me up he prescribed me 50mg of this pill and it has not been working. The first two nights I felt a little drowsy about 2 1/2 hours after taking the pill. Now it does nothing to help promote sleep.

March 4, 2013 10:37 PM
Review by rdx4me (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

trazodone for Insomnia: I've had insomnia for years. Finally had a sleep study done and it turned out I have moderate sleep apnea along with restless legs syndrome. Was prescribed a CPAP and Trazodone. Currently taking 300mg per night. It puts me to sleep fast but I always wake up after 3 - 3.5 hours of sleep. After reading others comments I'm considering trying 450mg to see if that will keep me asleep. My wife can sleep 12 hours easily. Wish I could experience sleep like hers!

March 2, 2013 11:43 PM
Review by freednerd (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

trazodone for Depression: One of my favorite medicines of all time. I have taken this for depression/bipolar disorder, insomnia, and currently fibromyalgia. It is the only anti-depressant I have found that I can take and not start swinging toward the manic side. I actually feel more refreshed and get a good night's sleep after I take it. I will note that I do not normally take it for long periods of time- only when I need it (this may be days, weeks, or months). There is no withdrawal and you do not have to dose up or down with safety concerns.

February 27, 2013 1:05 PM
Review by Smorr10700: User Rating:

trazodone for Depression: I was on 100mg of Trazodone for sleep and worked pretty good. But my depression got worse and I dreaded going back on the various anti-depressants I had tried and eventually discontinued due to side effects or things improving in my life. I'm now on 150 mg of Trazodone and it is clearly making a difference. It's not a magic wand to make everything better, but allows the "fog" of depression to lift a bit so you can see and feel more normal. Side effects less than other anti-depressants and helps me sleep. Yeah!

February 22, 2013 11:31 PM
Review by Shana67: User Rating:

trazodone for Insomnia: Unlike many folks on this thread, I take the highest recommended dose. If I do not, I will not stay asleep. I have never had problems falling asleep - but staying asleep. I would wake up 3 hours after falling asleep and be up the rest of the night. I was taking SIX Benadryl per night to fall asleep, and my husband finally made me go to the doctor. He started me on 100mg and told me to go up to 400mg (the highest recommended dose) depending on how I slept. I now sleep like the dead - I fall asleep easily, and stay asleep until my alarm goes off - waking up completely refreshed. I cannot imagine trying to sleep without this medicine.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 15, 2013 10:26 PM
Review by Suckerpunch Amber (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Oleptro (trazodone) for Depression: Gave me restless, crawly legs on 50mg. It was very sedating 12 wks ago. Broke it in half and that worked for 4 weeks, then no sedation at all and BAD night sweats. Made me very foggy the following day, and palpitations half the time. Hangover headaches too.

February 14, 2013 1:20 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

trazodone for Anxiety: A great medicine for restless legs syndrome, anxiety and restless mind. I take 50 mg before bed and sleep well, sometimes I still get restless but a wonderful relief the trazodone has made the night time so much better.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 12, 2013 12:02 PM
Review by nauseous nancy: User Rating:

Desyrel (trazodone) for Depression: Trazodone felt good at night, and I slept well, but I would be so nauseous the next day that all I could eat was crackers and drink 7up, and I got the poops.

February 9, 2013 4:48 PM
Review by ashleyb123:

trazodone for Sedation: I have been on trazodone for about 9 months. I was taking it as a sleep aid I liked how refreshed I felt in the morning at first.. then I realized I needed 2 150mg to fall asleep... so I quit using it for about 2 months. I went back on it 2 nights ago.. the first morning I couldn't open my eyes.. my girlfriend said I look plastered. But after I woke up I was fine no depressive thoughts or dizziness. It's more reliable than any other sleep aid over an increased period of time to me.. but my helpful hint of advice.. be ready to sleep in 30mins or you'll be dealing with restless legs syndrome all night! I hope this helped, oh and nightmares sometimes.

February 4, 2013 3:22 AM
Review by HouseLight (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

trazodone for Insomnia: I only been taking Trazodone for a week but it has been a God send. I have been taking Lunesta for a few years and was doing and saying things I didn't remember, and still was up every 2 or 3 hours. For the past week I have been sleeping the night through, this weekend I actually slept until 7:30am. Since it has only been a week I did not give it a 10, but if things keep up this well it will be a 10 next week.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 27, 2013 7:35 PM
Review by didkie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

trazodone for Anxiety: I have been using trazodone for years taking one half of a 50mg with one acetaminophen in the evening and sleep very well all night.

January 23, 2013 3:35 PM
Review by GORGE: User Rating:

trazodone for Insomnia: This medication eases me to sleep with no after effects.

January 10, 2013 11:50 AM
Review by OUguy (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

trazodone for Insomnia: Was prescribed 50 mg as a sleep aid. Been taking it for 6 years without having to change the dosage. Works great, I always am able to get to sleep and stay asleep. Occasionally wake up drowsy if I take it too late or don't get at least 6-6 1/2 hrs of sleep. Other than that, no side effects that I can speak of. Would recommend.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 10, 2013 10:21 AM
Review by HRHLMo (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

trazodone for Fibromyalgia: I started taking Trazodone in combination with Seroquel about a year ago for chronic insomnia. I had become addicted to hypnotic sleep aids and needed to change medicines. A dosage of 200mg in conjunction with 150mg of Seroquel enables me to get uninterrupted sleep. I would like to get off of this medicine eventually, but haven't found anything that works as well.

January 4, 2013 9:44 AM
Review by lilly13 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

trazodone for Anxiety: Love it! Been on it for only a month now, but wow! The other anti-depressants only caused my mania to explode and make me stop taking them. Trust me, I've been on a lot of meds. I used to not sleep (maybe 3 hours a night if that) and now I'm sleeping 6-8 on 50 mg of trazodone. I'm not as mad anymore, I can focus, life is just so much better! I would have rated it a 10, but it gives me heartburn and it is a little more sedating in the morning when I'm trying to wake up (can't have caffeine). This medicine is truly a God send! But, for anyone that has bi-polar this is definitely an add on to your normal meds. Taking Klonopin, Depakote, and now Trazodone. Life is great!

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 2, 2012 9:44 PM
Review by Daniel Bryan (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

trazodone for Insomnia: Took this for the first time last night. 100 mg pill. I went to sleep within 30 minutes, but I woke up 2 hours later and took a 50 mg pill to go back to sleep. I woke up 3 hours later because of how dry my mouth was. I had to put a wet towel in my mouth to go back to sleep because of how dry my mouth was. I went back to sleep thankfully and woke up 5 hours later. So overall I got 10 hours of sleep. It puts you to sleep but I'm having a lot of side effects - Stuffy nose and dry mouth while I'm sleeping; I have now been up 4 hours and still have a headache and am somewhat dizzy. I'll give this a week and see if the side effects go away. Will see what happens.

November 27, 2012 1:03 PM
Review by LuckyLew (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

trazodone for Insomnia: I've had chronic insomnia since I was a child. The trazodone both helps me fall asleep quickly AND helps me stay asleep longer (usually 4 to 5 hours straight sleep versus my usual waking every hour). As far as help with insomnia I would give trazodone a 10. Unfortunately though it does stay in my system a full 12 to 13 hours which means I am groggy and lethargic in the morning until it wears off, usually around 10am or 11am. However, once it does wear off I feel great and for the rest of the day I have much more energy than I do when I don't take trazodone and don't sleep well. I take between 15-75 mgs when I'm ready to go to bed. Aside from the morning grogginess I think this has been a wonderful help.

November 15, 2012 9:13 AM
Review by jan46 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

trazodone for Depression: I have been taking trazodone for 6 years now. The only side effect I get is a dry mouth so always take a drink to bed. It works so well because I don't have to lie in bed for hours with all the things going round and round my head. My dosage varies from 50 mg to 150 mg depending on how bad my depression is. I also have a friend who used to drink heavily who started taking trazodone and he hardly drinks at all now.

October 26, 2012 8:13 PM
Review by SaraxoJDqt (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

trazodone for Depression: Helps with my depression (started noticing improvement at 23 days) and also makes me sleep like a baby. MUST TAKE BEFORE BED! Otherwise I will have blurry vision and I will be incoherent within 10 minutes. Also, normally I'm a light sleeper but you could probably push me off my bed and I wouldn't wake up. Noted though that I take a higher dose of it than most people, 200mg.

September 27, 2012 8:25 PM