User Reviews for Parnate

Learn more about Parnate.

Depression 13 reviews 75 medications

Summary of Parnate reviews 13 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Parnate

Review by meglardy:

For Depression: I have been on Parnate for about 3 weeks. Am finding the insomnia really hard, as in the day I can be really tired, like fatigue at times and am unsure whether this is coming from switching medicines. Zoloft to Parnate, or from just the Parnate, and not being able to sleep properly.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 26, 2014 8:48 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: Parnate is a great medicine. It will mess with your sleep cycle and cause severe insomnia but other than that it's great. It improves mood, lowers anxiety (not perfectly but enough), improves sex drive, it gives you energy and in my case I welcomed slight weight loss. I've taken up to 40mg day. It's very important to take Parnate either in the morning or at 2pm. If taken in morning may cause drowsiness at ~2pm. TAKE FOOD WARNINGS SERIOUSLY. If I eat the wrong food my blood pressure definitely increases.

January 4, 2014 2:55 AM

Review by Jake2000:

For Depression: So far it is much better and with less side effects than Celexa, Pristiq, Wellbutrin, Remeron or Viibryd. Main issue is anxiety and this medicine stops it like nothing else. It is in a whole different class. Still finding out how it is going to work on my "zest for life" and other symptoms of depression. Still a long way to go.

July 11, 2013 10:16 PM

Review by Lost years (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: Been on Parnate (tranylcypromine) for about 17 years. Like many others felt like a guinea pig when I was first diagnosed. Went through about a dozen different psychiatrists. They all just tried different meds trying to find one that would work. I or anyone else could have done that. One convinced me to have ECT which I did against my better judgement. It was a nightmare of torture! After the first two I lost all sense of time as well as my memory. I had 14 ECT treatments and was nothing more than a zombie! To get it to stop I said I wasn't depressed any more. Finally found a Dr. that used Parnate.

February 2, 2013 9:41 PM

Review by debi2453 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I have been on Parnate for 1 year now. I have been on many other antidepressants. Parnate has certainly worked for me. There are still some days that I feel just a little down but nothing compared to the major depression I had suffered. Before my doctor Put me on Parnate I had been hospitalized and underwent ECTS successfully. Now I feel good finally. I do have to watch the foods because I hyperventilate and also severe diarrhea. Plus I am on 50mg of Seroquel in the morning and 100mg in the evening. Parnate is 10 mg x a day, which is low compared to some people.

December 20, 2012 9:15 PM

Review by Johnny Kasp (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: 5 years on Parnate. Have tried numerous antidepressants and Psycho Drugs, this is only one that has worked. Also take 2 mg/day Suboxone it helps some how.

November 15, 2012 8:20 PM

Review by Orkideh:

For Depression: It may include some side effects, I used and I prefer Parnate with some side effects vs depression that's my experience.

November 9, 2012 3:20 PM

For Depression: I have been treated for severe cyclic depressions (atypical), anxiety, and OCD since college and I am 47. Without effective medication, my illness is debilitating. In 1993, after trying many different antidepressants, I urged my psychiatrist to prescribe me the monoamine oxidase inhibitor, Nardil. WOW....somebody switched the lights on and the symptoms off. 90% of the time I was in remission with only brief minor periods of symptoms. Nardil was reformulated and stopped working, so I switched to Parnate. 160mg/day give 100% symptom relief (with 1200mg/day lithium). I mentally feel like I'm 20, bursting with mental energy. Many considered me brilliant prior to Parnate; but after years on it, my cognitive skills, retention, and creativity reached a new level.

November 19, 2011 2:30 PM

For Depression: Side effects are terrible. They inlcude diarrhea, dry mouth, in my case weight gain, it also made me agitated. I have been trying to withdraw from it and now have neuromuscular symptoms of cramping, teeth grinding, eye blinking.

November 19, 2010 4:57 PM

Review by retlaw:

For Depression: I give it a 10 and I would give SSRI's and SNRI's only a 5. It's our first experience with MAOI's and its still early days. But what a difference with fatique (none). Other side effects in our case are minimal or non existent. I wonder what % of people actually notice severe side effects (maybe less then 20%?). It appears that MAOI's are well known these days. I presume it's because they are old generic drugs (not covered by active patents) and hence will not get high advertising budgets from the pharmaceutical companies. I also presume that many GP's have no knowledge of this class of drugs or these are too risky, adverse (side effects) to recommend a trial. It took us at least 7 years of battling depression and fatigue before we found out!

January 17, 2010 9:06 AM

For Depression: After 15 years of SSRIs and SNRI's, I was told to consider shock therapy or Parnate. Parnate is a miracle drug as far as I am concerned. At 47, I seem to have the energy that I had in my 20s and 30s. I am taking Ambien to deal with the side effect of insomnia and its working great. For once I seem to be able to synchronize up with the rest of the world. The special diet required has not been a problem so far. I seem to have a problem with almonds, but cheese pizza (non-aged cheese only!) is still okay.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2009 12:34 AM

For Depression: I have had Parnate prescribed since 1987, when I was 35. After many years feeling like a an "anti-depressant guinea pig", I finally had clarity and with my psychiatrist's recommendation was able to manage my life while professionally succeeding. I don't miss the foods I can't eat, but value the relationships I've been able to maintain.

August 6, 2009 7:09 PM

Review by MARGARET STIFFLER:

For Depression: Even though there are many food restrictions, food I dearly love and miss, Parnate has given me my life back. I have been suffering from anxiety and depression all my life and this is the first drug that has actually helped. Thank you for giving me life again.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 3, 2008 5:27 AM