User Reviews for Parnate

Learn more about Parnate.

Depression 19 reviews 76 medications

9.1
Summary of Parnate reviews 19 reviews 9.1

Reviews for Parnate

For Depression "I took Parnate in the hospital. It's the second most wonderful thing to ever have happened to my brain, after ECT. But it tried to kill me. But that was due to a drug interaction. Don't take a high dose of Parnate (60 mg) with more than 150 mg of trazodone. I did. I had two hypertensive crises. My BP was 208/163. It was extremely painful. But I would go back to Parnate in a second, just without the trazodone. Look up the drugs it interacts with before you take something with it. I felt cheerful, I started laughing again for the first time in years. Until the hypertensive stuff happened my team was talking discharge. And I came in very sick. Parnate is great."

pet.mouse July 22, 2015

For Depression "I tried at least 7 or 8 "traditional" antidepressants. They never worked at all. Quite the opposite; I had to take benzo because I became tremendously violent and aggressive. My doctor finally decided that he had no option but to prescribe Parnate, for which you need a special license in my country. What a difference! Finally no depression, no aggression nothing. Just feeling good. I didn´t feel drugged up, just felt like me myself. Wonderful feeling! Yes I do miss cheese sandwiches and I have to take sleeping pills, but it´s so worth it."

AnastasiaM July 20, 2015

For Depression "Have taken parnate for 5 years. Tried 5-10 other medications before trying parnate. Had bad reaction to most of these - worsening depression and anxiety.Currently taking 80 mgs of parnate, which is above the normal therapeutic range. Have a few side effects that still come and go including daytime fatigue/some tachycardia right after dosing. Take 30 mg in the morning, 20mg in the afternoon, and 30mg in the evening. When started taking it had pretty bad orthostatic hypotension for a week or two. Medicine works well. Depression and anxiety have been kept at bay for 5 years. I can enjoy life. Highly recommended"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 19, 2015

For Depression "MAOIs surpass all other groups of contemporary antidepressants in my biased opinion. Unlike other medications , parnate enriched me with clarity and motivation, and just simply made me feel better. You adjust to the effects over time but it still makes me functional where I was once disabled. I owe this venerable chemical my gratitude, despite the one horrific yet transient reaction I've encountered on it."

PrancinPlatypus May 24, 2015

For Depression "Only antidepressant to quell my panic attacks and lessen my emotional reactivity. Only downside is ruined sleep and constant vigilance to prohibited foods and medicines. Also developed a bad sweet tooth. But you will definitely feel much better"

mohonk (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 22, 2014

For Depression "I've spent so many years batting crippling depression, and trying almost every medication on the market. I know the feeling of sleeping for 12 hours and not getting anything accomplished because depression controls everything you do... After trying multiple medications and seeing multiple doctors, I FINALLY found a Psychiatrist that suggested I try an MAOI. Parnate has been a miracle for me. It knocked my depression out of the park! I've been on Parnate for 3 months (with a combination of Lamictal) and my life has completely changed for the better. I feel like the person that I want to be. If you're reading this and suffer from crippling depression, I would highly suggest you talk to a doctor about taking Parnate."

Bill83 October 27, 2014

For Depression "I have been on Parnate for about 3 weeks. Am finding the insomnia really hard, as in the day I can be really tired, like fatigue at times and am unsure whether this is coming from switching medicines. Zoloft to Parnate, or from just the Parnate, and not being able to sleep properly. "

meglardy March 26, 2014

For Depression "Parnate is a great medicine. It will mess with your sleep cycle and cause severe insomnia but other than that it's great. It improves mood, lowers anxiety (not perfectly but enough), improves sex drive, it gives you energy and in my case I welcomed slight weight loss. I've taken up to 40mg day. It's very important to take Parnate either in the morning or at 2pm. If taken in morning may cause drowsiness at ~2pm. TAKE FOOD WARNINGS SERIOUSLY. If I eat the wrong food my blood pressure definitely increases."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2014

For Depression "So far it is much better and with less side effects than Celexa, Pristiq, Wellbutrin, Remeron or Viibryd. Main issue is anxiety and this medicine stops it like nothing else. It is in a whole different class. Still finding out how it is going to work on my "zest for life" and other symptoms of depression. Still a long way to go."

Jake2000 July 11, 2013

For Depression "Been on Parnate (tranylcypromine) for about 17 years. Like many others felt like a guinea pig when I was first diagnosed. Went through about a dozen different psychiatrists. They all just tried different meds trying to find one that would work. I or anyone else could have done that. One convinced me to have ECT which I did against my better judgement. It was a nightmare of torture! After the first two I lost all sense of time as well as my memory. I had 14 ECT treatments and was nothing more than a zombie! To get it to stop I said I wasn't depressed any more. Finally found a Dr. that used Parnate."

Lost years (taken for 10 years or more) February 2, 2013

For Depression "I have been on Parnate for 1 year now. I have been on many other antidepressants. Parnate has certainly worked for me. There are still some days that I feel just a little down but nothing compared to the major depression I had suffered. Before my doctor Put me on Parnate I had been hospitalized and underwent ECTS successfully. Now I feel good finally. I do have to watch the foods because I hyperventilate and also severe diarrhea. Plus I am on 50mg of Seroquel in the morning and 100mg in the evening. Parnate is 10 mg x a day, which is low compared to some people. "

debi2453 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 20, 2012

For Depression "5 years on Parnate. Have tried numerous antidepressants and Psycho Drugs, this is only one that has worked. Also take 2 mg/day Suboxone it helps some how."

Johnny Kasp (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 15, 2012

For Depression "It may include some side effects, I used and I prefer Parnate with some side effects vs depression that's my experience."

Orkideh November 9, 2012

For Depression "I have been treated for severe cyclic depressions (atypical), anxiety, and OCD since college and I am 47. Without effective medication, my illness is debilitating. In 1993, after trying many different antidepressants, I urged my psychiatrist to prescribe me the monoamine oxidase inhibitor, Nardil. WOW....somebody switched the lights on and the symptoms off. 90% of the time I was in remission with only brief minor periods of symptoms. Nardil was reformulated and stopped working, so I switched to Parnate. 160mg/day give 100% symptom relief (with 1200mg/day lithium). I mentally feel like I'm 20, bursting with mental energy. Many considered me brilliant prior to Parnate; but after years on it, my cognitive skills, retention, and creativity reached a new level."

Anonymous November 19, 2011

For Depression "Side effects are terrible. They inlcude diarrhea, dry mouth, in my case weight gain, it also made me agitated. I have been trying to withdraw from it and now have neuromuscular symptoms of cramping, teeth grinding, eye blinking."

Anonymous November 19, 2010

For Depression "I give it a 10 and I would give SSRI's and SNRI's only a 5. It's our first experience with MAOI's and its still early days. But what a difference with fatique (none). Other side effects in our case are minimal or non existent. I wonder what % of people actually notice severe side effects (maybe less then 20%?). It appears that MAOI's are well known these days. I presume it's because they are old generic drugs (not covered by active patents) and hence will not get high advertising budgets from the pharmaceutical companies. I also presume that many GP's have no knowledge of this class of drugs or these are too risky, adverse (side effects) to recommend a trial. It took us at least 7 years of battling depression and fatigue before we found out!"

retlaw January 17, 2010

For Depression "After 15 years of SSRIs and SNRI's, I was told to consider shock therapy or Parnate. Parnate is a miracle drug as far as I am concerned. At 47, I seem to have the energy that I had in my 20s and 30s. I am taking Ambien to deal with the side effect of insomnia and its working great. For once I seem to be able to synchronize up with the rest of the world. The special diet required has not been a problem so far. I seem to have a problem with almonds, but cheese pizza (non-aged cheese only!) is still okay."

Anonymous September 19, 2009

For Depression "I have had Parnate prescribed since 1987, when I was 35. After many years feeling like a an "anti-depressant guinea pig", I finally had clarity and with my psychiatrist's recommendation was able to manage my life while professionally succeeding. I don't miss the foods I can't eat, but value the relationships I've been able to maintain."

Anonymous August 6, 2009

For Depression "Even though there are many food restrictions, food I dearly love and miss, Parnate has given me my life back. I have been suffering from anxiety and depression all my life and this is the first drug that has actually helped. Thank you for giving me life again."

MARGARET STIFFLER June 3, 2008

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate