User Reviews for Lysteda

Learn more about Lysteda.

Lysteda review summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Menorrhagia.

Reviews for Lysteda to treat Menorrhagia

Review by Missy61:

After bleeding for almost 8 weeks half the time very heavy with many clots and the other half lighter/less clots Lysteda has helped me. I am 52 and have had two endometrial biopsies and sonohistograms. Results:thick uterine lining, and a small fibroid. After being told the only treatment was a D&C I wanted to try medication as a first line of treatment keeping surgery as the last resort. I was told to take 2 tablets three times a day. By the second dose my flow was much lighter. I am also very anemic now cause I waited too long to pursue the medication. Ladies, try it, don't wait till you're terribly anemic like me. I also have IBS and was afraid of taking it but so far so good.

January 18, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by changed1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I tried this medicine for the first time during my last cycle. It worked immediately and drastically reduced my extremely heavy flow. However, I had headaches the first few days. This is not a usual experience. Also, I am usually EXTREMELY REGULAR. As of today, my cycle is 14 days late. I am not complaining and hope it never returns.

April 8, 2013 10:21 PM

Review by CactusFlower in AZ (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am a 49 year old female that has been suffering for 2 years with painful, heavy periods due to fibroids. First 2 days always had to double up with tampon and pad both; My gyn dr. prescribed me Lysteda also known as Tranexamic Acid. Dosage is 2 tablets, 3x a day, for 5 days. It started working immediately, cutting the blood flow by 50-80%. I no longer had to double up protection and I can now sleep through the night. I still had some cramping on the 2nd day, but OTC pain relief helped that. Side effects: 1 hr after taking the pills, light headed/slightly dizzy; minor headaches (nothing unmanageable). I found the pills to be too large to swallow, so had to cut them in half or thirds. Overall I love this medication, it has given me my life back.

April 1, 2013 12:43 PM

Review by Kande35 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been taking Lysteda for over a year and I absolutely love it! I have fibroids and I bleed very heavily (soak a super plus tampon in an hour). With Lysteda my periods are so much better! I take 4 pills per day (morning and night) for two days and the bleeding is decreased by about 60% to 70%. I do get headaches after taking it but it's worth it.

March 13, 2013 12:09 AM

Review by 68rpm:

I took Lysteda 2 pills 3x a day for 5 days and my period was much lighter. Extremely lighter. But then I got another period for another 5 days after no flow for 4 days and now I am having a third period this month. They are all lighter and more manageable but who wants to bleed for 15 days of the month. I am planning to try it again next month to see if my body just needed to get use to it but this month wasn't what I was expecting.

January 27, 2013 12:39 PM

Review by dpie44 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am on day 3 of my cycle and of taking Lysteda. I take 2 pills 3x's a day. This is my first months use and I can say without doubt I will take Lysteda as long as my doctor will allow! I am usually homebound the first 3 days of my period as I have to have access to a bathroom every 15 minutes. Not to mention the horrendous pain from cramps. Lysteda started working within a half hour of taking first dose. My flow was reduced by at least 60%. A couple of ibuprofen for light cramps and life was business as usual. I was able to go out and not worry about excessive bleeding. After more than 30 years of being imprisoned by my cycle I finally can live life again! I am so happy I just want to shout it from the top of the world!

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 1, 2013 2:58 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been taking Lysteda for 2 months now and it is a God send for me. I am so tired of long drawnout periods which consist of heavy flows and clotting that makes it so uncomfortable in my daily routines. The first month I had my period for a month and Lysteda finally gave me a break. The next month was heavy but as soon as I started taking Lysteda I saw improvement and was happy with results and no side effects so far. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

December 27, 2012 4:31 PM

Review by BrittBrat (taken for less than 1 month):

I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and heavy menstrual bleeding. The doctor prescribed Lysteda 650MG tablets. My doctor stated he only wants me to take 1 tablet by mouth once daily. He prescribed me 6 pills with 2 refills. I took one yesterday. 12/11/2012 around 3:00. All I have been doing since is spotting. I am in WOW mode because I could not believe how fast it worked. The side effect I got from it is a headache. I am not experiencing any clotting. I also take vitamins. Since I have PCOS so my periods are irregular. They started being irregular when I was 20. I have always had regular periods until I turned 20. They diagnosed me on May 11th 2012 a day before my wedding anniversary and been battling since then.

December 12, 2012 11:53 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been using Lysteda for almost a year now. It really helps for my heavy period and horrible cramps. I don't take it for my entire period, only for the first few days when it's heaviest and most painful. Taking this medication has caused a few problems for me though. I used to have very regular periods and they usually lasted about 5 days. My periods are VERY irregular now, and they are a bit longer (about 8 days).

July 30, 2012 8:58 PM

Review by LolaKnowles:

I am in my mid 40's and had been dealing with heavy periods for the last 10 years. I have had a hysteroscopy (not hysterectomy), tried every kind of birth control and most recently, endometrial ablation and nothing had worked. I was not willing to get a hysterectomy without trying all my other alternatives. I found Lysteda on the internet and asked my Doctor to let me try this. Lysteda has been a life saver for me! I gave it a 9 out of 10 though because I have had serious dizzy spells and I am attributing this to the medication. But it seems to be the only side effect I have.

February 4, 2012 10:05 PM

Review by SoniaAZ:

Has definitely decreased my flow by about 50%, I have not had any accidents while taking this medication. Before I had at least one or two accidents per cycle. The headaches can be annoying but I'd take them over the heavy flow any day!

January 18, 2012 6:15 PM

I have only been taking 1 pill 3x a day instead of 2 3x a day, and only on the worst days as soon as it's bad, which in turn caused it to shorten my cycle and definitely the huge clots were gone - what a relief! I also take iron because of being tired. Prior to trying this medicine, I had an endometrial ablation which failed and none of the birth control pills helped either. My only recourse if this stops working is a hysterectomy. I wish my menopause would start already, I'm done having children and have been having hot flashes for over 5 years now!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2012 8:30 AM

Review by mo z:

I experienced abnormal heavy bleeding for 4 weeks, was anemic and in danger of needing a transfusion. I took Lysteda, as prescribed, for 5 days. It slowed my bleeding and I was able to sleep through the night without getting up to take care of overflow, allowing much needed rest. After 5 days, my bleeding stopped entirely. Doctors are still looking for the cause of my abnormal bleeding, but Lysteda has addressed the crisis and is giving me a reprieve from heavy blood loss. I'm grateful.

October 19, 2011 5:40 PM

I am taking Lysteda for the first time. It works extremely well. My flow has been reduced by about 75%. I used to soak through both a super absorbency tampon and overnight pad within two hours. Now I can just wear a pad and it doesn't get full. The only side effect that I'm experiencing are headaches. I don't normally get them, but the results are worth it.

August 20, 2011 6:18 AM

I started taking Lysteda just one day ago and I can tell the difference in my period. Before taking this medication I would use 2 bags of 14 overnight pads in 3 days. I have used pantyliners this week. It works.

July 6, 2011 10:20 AM

I have used Lysteda 2x now with great success. It has slowed down and then stopped my menstrual cycle within 4 doses. I am a bit concerned that one of the possible side effects could be blood clots. I personally have not had any. However, because I am an RN, I have realized that the side effects of this drug could be scary if not used EXACTLY as the doctor has prescribed and at the time intervals prescribed. I have had headaches each time that I have used it but I also suffer from migraine headaches. For me, the headaches are a worth the benefit that Lysteda provides. Just make sure that the directions for use are followed completely and report any odd/new symptoms to your doctor.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 15, 2010 11:25 PM

This is the first month I have used Lysteda. It has significantly helped because before this medicine, I was not able to function during my cycle. There has been improvement of at least 50% if not more. I am amazed with this product. I would highly recommend this for anyone with problems with their menstrual cycle.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 16, 2010 12:03 AM