User Reviews for Lysteda

Learn more about Lysteda.

Lysteda Review Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Menorrhagia.

Reviews for Lysteda to treat Menorrhagia

"I have horrible periods. Horrible meaning changing a super plus tampon every one to two hours with clots 7-10 days long. This includes during the night as well. Messing up clothes and sheets on my bed. My doctor recommended Lysteda before an endometrial ablation. Two pills three times a day for five days. Started on my third day. My first week, what a joke. Reduced my period maybe 30-40? If that. Gave me headaches and caused dizziness. Thanks for nothing. Ill be having a biopsy to have an ablation instead."

Elle Bhee (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2015

"I'm 31. I've been having extremely heavy periods for about 4 years, ever since I had my Implanon removed. I have been literally going through 50 super plus tampons in a single day. I cant work when its like that. I started Lysteda two cycles ago and although its helped lower the bleeding tremendously, they have also discovered I'm no longer ovulating. Although the medicine has worked wonders, I have gone ahead and opted for the hysterectomy as the dr says its the only thing that will fix it. So, this is my last extremely painful cycle to deal with! I definitely reccomend the medication for anyone with heavy bleeding that interferes with their life the way it has mine."

naalexanderfree1983 March 18, 2015

"After bleeding for almost 8 weeks half the time very heavy with many clots and the other half lighter/less clots Lysteda has helped me. I am 52 and have had two endometrial biopsies and sonohistograms. Results:thick uterine lining, and a small fibroid. After being told the only treatment was a D&C I wanted to try medication as a first line of treatment keeping surgery as the last resort. I was told to take 2 tablets three times a day. By the second dose my flow was much lighter. I am also very anemic now cause I waited too long to pursue the medication. Ladies, try it, don't wait till you're terribly anemic like me. I also have IBS and was afraid of taking it but so far so good."

Missy61 January 18, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I tried this medicine for the first time during my last cycle. It worked immediately and drastically reduced my extremely heavy flow. However, I had headaches the first few days. This is not a usual experience. Also, I am usually EXTREMELY REGULAR. As of today, my cycle is 14 days late. I am not complaining and hope it never returns. "

changed1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am a 49 year old female that has been suffering for 2 years with painful, heavy periods due to fibroids. First 2 days always had to double up with tampon and pad both; My gyn dr. prescribed me Lysteda also known as Tranexamic Acid. Dosage is 2 tablets, 3x a day, for 5 days. It started working immediately, cutting the blood flow by 50-80%. I no longer had to double up protection and I can now sleep through the night. I still had some cramping on the 2nd day, but OTC pain relief helped that. Side effects: 1 hr after taking the pills, light headed/slightly dizzy; minor headaches (nothing unmanageable). I found the pills to be too large to swallow, so had to cut them in half or thirds. Overall I love this medication, it has given me my life back."

CactusFlower in AZ (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2013

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been taking Lysteda for over a year and I absolutely love it! I have fibroids and I bleed very heavily (soak a super plus tampon in an hour). With Lysteda my periods are so much better! I take 4 pills per day (morning and night) for two days and the bleeding is decreased by about 60% to 70%. I do get headaches after taking it but it's worth it."

Kande35 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 13, 2013

"I took Lysteda 2 pills 3x a day for 5 days and my period was much lighter. Extremely lighter. But then I got another period for another 5 days after no flow for 4 days and now I am having a third period this month. They are all lighter and more manageable but who wants to bleed for 15 days of the month. I am planning to try it again next month to see if my body just needed to get use to it but this month wasn't what I was expecting."

68rpm January 27, 2013

"I am on day 3 of my cycle and of taking Lysteda. I take 2 pills 3x's a day. This is my first months use and I can say without doubt I will take Lysteda as long as my doctor will allow! I am usually homebound the first 3 days of my period as I have to have access to a bathroom every 15 minutes. Not to mention the horrendous pain from cramps. Lysteda started working within a half hour of taking first dose. My flow was reduced by at least 60%. A couple of ibuprofen for light cramps and life was business as usual. I was able to go out and not worry about excessive bleeding. After more than 30 years of being imprisoned by my cycle I finally can live life again! I am so happy I just want to shout it from the top of the world! "

dpie44 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2013

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking Lysteda for 2 months now and it is a God send for me. I am so tired of long drawnout periods which consist of heavy flows and clotting that makes it so uncomfortable in my daily routines. The first month I had my period for a month and Lysteda finally gave me a break. The next month was heavy but as soon as I started taking Lysteda I saw improvement and was happy with results and no side effects so far. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2012

"I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and heavy menstrual bleeding. The doctor prescribed Lysteda 650MG tablets. My doctor stated he only wants me to take 1 tablet by mouth once daily. He prescribed me 6 pills with 2 refills. I took one yesterday. 12/11/2012 around 3:00. All I have been doing since is spotting. I am in WOW mode because I could not believe how fast it worked. The side effect I got from it is a headache. I am not experiencing any clotting. I also take vitamins. Since I have PCOS so my periods are irregular. They started being irregular when I was 20. I have always had regular periods until I turned 20. They diagnosed me on May 11th 2012 a day before my wedding anniversary and been battling since then."

BrittBrat (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2012

"I have been using Lysteda for almost a year now. It really helps for my heavy period and horrible cramps. I don't take it for my entire period, only for the first few days when it's heaviest and most painful. Taking this medication has caused a few problems for me though. I used to have very regular periods and they usually lasted about 5 days. My periods are VERY irregular now, and they are a bit longer (about 8 days)."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 30, 2012

"I am in my mid 40's and had been dealing with heavy periods for the last 10 years. I have had a hysteroscopy (not hysterectomy), tried every kind of birth control and most recently, endometrial ablation and nothing had worked. I was not willing to get a hysterectomy without trying all my other alternatives. I found Lysteda on the internet and asked my Doctor to let me try this. Lysteda has been a life saver for me! I gave it a 9 out of 10 though because I have had serious dizzy spells and I am attributing this to the medication. But it seems to be the only side effect I have. "

LolaKnowles February 4, 2012

"Has definitely decreased my flow by about 50%, I have not had any accidents while taking this medication. Before I had at least one or two accidents per cycle. The headaches can be annoying but I'd take them over the heavy flow any day!"

SoniaAZ January 18, 2012

"I have only been taking 1 pill 3x a day instead of 2 3x a day, and only on the worst days as soon as it's bad, which in turn caused it to shorten my cycle and definitely the huge clots were gone - what a relief! I also take iron because of being tired. Prior to trying this medicine, I had an endometrial ablation which failed and none of the birth control pills helped either. My only recourse if this stops working is a hysterectomy. I wish my menopause would start already, I'm done having children and have been having hot flashes for over 5 years now!"

Anonymous January 11, 2012

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I experienced abnormal heavy bleeding for 4 weeks, was anemic and in danger of needing a transfusion. I took Lysteda, as prescribed, for 5 days. It slowed my bleeding and I was able to sleep through the night without getting up to take care of overflow, allowing much needed rest. After 5 days, my bleeding stopped entirely. Doctors are still looking for the cause of my abnormal bleeding, but Lysteda has addressed the crisis and is giving me a reprieve from heavy blood loss. I'm grateful."

mo z October 19, 2011

"I am taking Lysteda for the first time. It works extremely well. My flow has been reduced by about 75%. I used to soak through both a super absorbency tampon and overnight pad within two hours. Now I can just wear a pad and it doesn't get full. The only side effect that I'm experiencing are headaches. I don't normally get them, but the results are worth it."

Anonymous August 20, 2011

"I started taking Lysteda just one day ago and I can tell the difference in my period. Before taking this medication I would use 2 bags of 14 overnight pads in 3 days. I have used pantyliners this week. It works."

Anonymous July 6, 2011

"I have used Lysteda 2x now with great success. It has slowed down and then stopped my menstrual cycle within 4 doses. I am a bit concerned that one of the possible side effects could be blood clots. I personally have not had any. However, because I am an RN, I have realized that the side effects of this drug could be scary if not used EXACTLY as the doctor has prescribed and at the time intervals prescribed. I have had headaches each time that I have used it but I also suffer from migraine headaches. For me, the headaches are a worth the benefit that Lysteda provides. Just make sure that the directions for use are followed completely and report any odd/new symptoms to your doctor."

Anonymous November 15, 2010

"This is the first month I have used Lysteda. It has significantly helped because before this medicine, I was not able to function during my cycle. There has been improvement of at least 50% if not more. I am amazed with this product. I would highly recommend this for anyone with problems with their menstrual cycle."

Anonymous October 16, 2010

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Menorrhagia