User Reviews for Tranexamic acid

Also known as: Cyklokapron, Lysteda

Learn more about Tranexamic acid.

Bleeding Disorder 0 reviews 9 medications

Hemophilia A 0 reviews 42 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Tranexamic acid reviews 34 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Tranexamic acid

Review by cstella33:

For Menorrhagia: My mom and I are symptomatic carriers of hemophilia B and both have heavy periods. My mom has fibroids while I don't. Tranexamic acid has been a miracle. It stopped flooding, gushing, and anemia. We're normal women again! We have found that you can cut the dose in half and it still works. We also wait to start taking it until we're about a day into our periods to make sure we don't run out before the actual end of the period. Do not delay taking the pills on time after you begin taking them each cycle or you may gush! I'm on medicaid and had to appeal to get them to cover the cost, but they did because I can't take birth control.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 26, 2014 8:56 AM

Review by Dolores Church (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Menorrhagia: I have been on tranexamic acid for 4 cycles now. I was having very heavy "flooding" periods. My heaviest day I would have to stay home from work. It was overwhelming how often I would have to change a super plus tampon. My uterus is full of fibroids. My sister had the same condition and had a hysterectomy. That was before this was FDA approved. I feel so fortunate. This medicine is great. My bleeding has decreased enormously. I can sleep through the night. I don't have "flooding". I don't have to double up with super tampon plus night time pad. It is fantastic. My period longer by about 2 days, but really light bleeding.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 10, 2014 10:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Menstrual Disorders: I love this medication. I bleed super heavy during my cycle. A pad and tampon will last for an hour at most. My doctor wants to do ablation surgery, but I wanted to try the medicine first. It really reduced the bleeding, but my periods went from 9 days to 13. However, they are light days so I'm happy. For the first 4 months I got a headache with each dose, but now that has gone away.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 28, 2014 3:12 PM

Review by Missy61:

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: After bleeding for almost 8 weeks half the time very heavy with many clots and the other half lighter/less clots Lysteda has helped me. I am 52 and have had two endometrial biopsies and sonohistograms. Results:thick uterine lining, and a small fibroid. After being told the only treatment was a D&C I wanted to try medication as a first line of treatment keeping surgery as the last resort. I was told to take 2 tablets three times a day. By the second dose my flow was much lighter. I am also very anemic now cause I waited too long to pursue the medication. Ladies, try it, don't wait till you're terribly anemic like me. I also have IBS and was afraid of taking it but so far so good.

January 18, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by GirliegirlWA (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menstrual Disorders: I am 45 years old and have been suffering disabling heavy periods for about 6 years now. My doctor suggested ablation for my heavy periods but I wanted to try non-surgical remedies first. This medicine is AMAZING. I take 2 pills 3 times a day for 3 days (total of 18 pills). I start on the 2nd day of my period which is the heaviest. My period dries up and is over within 4 days. I have headaches on or off this medicine during my period so I cannot say for sure whether that is a side effect. I have my life back each month.

August 28, 2013 4:34 PM

Review by nagmom2012 (taken for less than 1 month):

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menstrual Disorders: I can sleep through the night. No more getting up twice to just let it all out and clean up the mess. No more running to the bathroom every two hours because I'm leaking through. I love this.

July 12, 2013 10:08 AM

Review by changed1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: I tried this medicine for the first time during my last cycle. It worked immediately and drastically reduced my extremely heavy flow. However, I had headaches the first few days. This is not a usual experience. Also, I am usually EXTREMELY REGULAR. As of today, my cycle is 14 days late. I am not complaining and hope it never returns.

April 8, 2013 10:21 PM

Review by star 2 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Cyklokapron (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: I take Cyclokapron 500 mg 2 tabs 3 times a day for 4 days along with 2 tablets of Naproxen twice a day famotidine one tablet twice a day. I am 47 yrs old and am suffering since 2 yrs. Fibroids (stable size) but excessive bleeding requiring changes in double pads every 3 hrs! The tablets are wonderful and am very happy. Reduction in blood flow by 70%. No side effects. Have tried it for 1 cycle and plan to continue.

April 2, 2013 10:49 AM

Review by CactusFlower in AZ (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: I am a 49 year old female that has been suffering for 2 years with painful, heavy periods due to fibroids. First 2 days always had to double up with tampon and pad both; My gyn dr. prescribed me Lysteda also known as Tranexamic Acid. Dosage is 2 tablets, 3x a day, for 5 days. It started working immediately, cutting the blood flow by 50-80%. I no longer had to double up protection and I can now sleep through the night. I still had some cramping on the 2nd day, but OTC pain relief helped that. Side effects: 1 hr after taking the pills, light headed/slightly dizzy; minor headaches (nothing unmanageable). I found the pills to be too large to swallow, so had to cut them in half or thirds. Overall I love this medication, it has given me my life back.

April 1, 2013 12:43 PM

Review by mucky (taken for less than 1 month):

For Menorrhagia: So I have been on tranexamic for 4 days. I get dizzy and headaches and the bleeding has slowed but hasn't stopped. I'm on 4000mg a day.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2013 9:42 AM

Review by Kande35 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: I've been taking Lysteda for over a year and I absolutely love it! I have fibroids and I bleed very heavily (soak a super plus tampon in an hour). With Lysteda my periods are so much better! I take 4 pills per day (morning and night) for two days and the bleeding is decreased by about 60% to 70%. I do get headaches after taking it but it's worth it.

March 13, 2013 12:09 AM

Review by 68rpm:

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: I took Lysteda 2 pills 3x a day for 5 days and my period was much lighter. Extremely lighter. But then I got another period for another 5 days after no flow for 4 days and now I am having a third period this month. They are all lighter and more manageable but who wants to bleed for 15 days of the month. I am planning to try it again next month to see if my body just needed to get use to it but this month wasn't what I was expecting.

January 27, 2013 12:39 PM

Review by dpie44 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: I am on day 3 of my cycle and of taking Lysteda. I take 2 pills 3x's a day. This is my first months use and I can say without doubt I will take Lysteda as long as my doctor will allow! I am usually homebound the first 3 days of my period as I have to have access to a bathroom every 15 minutes. Not to mention the horrendous pain from cramps. Lysteda started working within a half hour of taking first dose. My flow was reduced by at least 60%. A couple of ibuprofen for light cramps and life was business as usual. I was able to go out and not worry about excessive bleeding. After more than 30 years of being imprisoned by my cycle I finally can live life again! I am so happy I just want to shout it from the top of the world!

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 1, 2013 2:58 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: I have been taking Lysteda for 2 months now and it is a God send for me. I am so tired of long drawnout periods which consist of heavy flows and clotting that makes it so uncomfortable in my daily routines. The first month I had my period for a month and Lysteda finally gave me a break. The next month was heavy but as soon as I started taking Lysteda I saw improvement and was happy with results and no side effects so far. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

December 27, 2012 4:31 PM

Review by BrittBrat (taken for less than 1 month):

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and heavy menstrual bleeding. The doctor prescribed Lysteda 650MG tablets. My doctor stated he only wants me to take 1 tablet by mouth once daily. He prescribed me 6 pills with 2 refills. I took one yesterday. 12/11/2012 around 3:00. All I have been doing since is spotting. I am in WOW mode because I could not believe how fast it worked. The side effect I got from it is a headache. I am not experiencing any clotting. I also take vitamins. Since I have PCOS so my periods are irregular. They started being irregular when I was 20. I have always had regular periods until I turned 20. They diagnosed me on May 11th 2012 a day before my wedding anniversary and been battling since then.

December 12, 2012 11:53 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Menorrhagia: I've been taking this medicine for about 4/5 years now and I must say, experiencing horrific periods since 11. This medicine has helped me a lot, I'm now 16 and with the help with medicine I can now socialize better knowing that I don't have to worry about leaking. However, I have had previous scares of blood clots and I'm wondering if I'm at any risk whiles taking the dosage which I have been prescribed? Although my doctor knows of these scares so I'm guessing that it must be safe.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 31, 2012 1:17 PM

Review by T. K (taken for less than 1 month):

For Menstrual Disorders: I started taking this medicine Monday and by Tuesday the bleeding had stopped. I'd got very worried because my period had come 10 days early and was very heavy. The side effects I've got are headaches and diarrhea but a small price to pay to be period free for a while.

August 22, 2012 5:07 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: I have been using Lysteda for almost a year now. It really helps for my heavy period and horrible cramps. I don't take it for my entire period, only for the first few days when it's heaviest and most painful. Taking this medication has caused a few problems for me though. I used to have very regular periods and they usually lasted about 5 days. My periods are VERY irregular now, and they are a bit longer (about 8 days).

July 30, 2012 8:58 PM

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menstrual Disorders: I've been on Lysteda for 6 months and it really has saved my sanity. I didn't want to jump the gun with a review as I've had birth control pills work for a month or 2 then suddenly my period would come back as bad, if not worse, and lasted once for 41 days! The bleeding and clotting sending me to the bathroom every 30-45 mins has stopped, no more getting up in the middle of the night or changing the sheets at 4am and I've been very lucky with no side effects. 6 pills a day is a lot but considering the alternative of unstoppable bleeding, I happily take them. It's not a total miracle, I still have "heavy" days those would've been a good day for me in the past. It's worth it, I'm very happy with it.

June 10, 2012 6:11 PM

Review by LolaKnowles:

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: I am in my mid 40's and had been dealing with heavy periods for the last 10 years. I have had a hysteroscopy (not hysterectomy), tried every kind of birth control and most recently, endometrial ablation and nothing had worked. I was not willing to get a hysterectomy without trying all my other alternatives. I found Lysteda on the internet and asked my Doctor to let me try this. Lysteda has been a life saver for me! I gave it a 9 out of 10 though because I have had serious dizzy spells and I am attributing this to the medication. But it seems to be the only side effect I have.

February 4, 2012 10:05 PM

Review by SoniaAZ:

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: Has definitely decreased my flow by about 50%, I have not had any accidents while taking this medication. Before I had at least one or two accidents per cycle. The headaches can be annoying but I'd take them over the heavy flow any day!

January 18, 2012 6:15 PM

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: I have only been taking 1 pill 3x a day instead of 2 3x a day, and only on the worst days as soon as it's bad, which in turn caused it to shorten my cycle and definitely the huge clots were gone - what a relief! I also take iron because of being tired. Prior to trying this medicine, I had an endometrial ablation which failed and none of the birth control pills helped either. My only recourse if this stops working is a hysterectomy. I wish my menopause would start already, I'm done having children and have been having hot flashes for over 5 years now!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2012 8:30 AM

Review by g-ma in cali:

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menstrual Disorders: I was diagnosed with fibroids, a tipped uterus, and a small ovarian cyst -causing extra heavy and erratic cycles. I really don't want surgery so my GYN but me on Lysteda. I loved it for the first couple of months-- After the 2nd month, my cycle started occurring every 2-3 weeks. One month it did not happen at all. Then the last 2 cycles seemed to be normal - until the end, then they started all over again with clots and heavy bleeding. Back to my gyn. Looks like I may have to have the surgery afterall.

October 21, 2011 1:41 PM

Review by mo z:

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: I experienced abnormal heavy bleeding for 4 weeks, was anemic and in danger of needing a transfusion. I took Lysteda, as prescribed, for 5 days. It slowed my bleeding and I was able to sleep through the night without getting up to take care of overflow, allowing much needed rest. After 5 days, my bleeding stopped entirely. Doctors are still looking for the cause of my abnormal bleeding, but Lysteda has addressed the crisis and is giving me a reprieve from heavy blood loss. I'm grateful.

October 19, 2011 5:40 PM

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menstrual Disorders: I have been using Lysteda for the last six months. It worked great the first 3 months. But the fourth month I started having horrible lower back pain, the cramps came back but the flow was still light. However, the last two months, my cycle came within 2 weeks and I have my cycle again. According to the dosage and usage, I am unsure if taking it more than 5 days is recommended. I had my cycle for 5 days, it stopped for 1 day and started back up. Tried contacting my GYN but couldn't.

September 21, 2011 6:25 PM