User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Topamax review summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 9 medications used in the treatment of Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Reviews for Topamax to treat Trigeminal Neuralgia

Review by Andreivna (taken for less than 1 month):

Placed on Topamax for severe migraine and trigeminal neuralgia. 3 days later became disorientated with rash and soreness all over body then skin became scaley. Numbness in both hands and feet. Ceased Topamax.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2014 5:10 AM

Review by pepper73:

It took me a year to be diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia - and I had to go to a doctor in Vienna for this, because the doctors in Romania misdiagnosed me - but Topamax is the medicine that really saved my life. Literally! Because I was contemplating suicide, the pain was that bad and nothing else was working for me. I have lost a little weight in the first couple of months and I also have some trouble finding common words while speaking, but otherwise I did not experience any other side effects so far. My cholesterol level is now increasing - I am wondering if anyone is experiencing that as a possible side effect.

February 23, 2012 8:53 AM

Review by ivebeenthere:

This did not help my Trigeminal Neuralgia at all even at high doses. It had helped me in the past for neuropathic pain in my neck, so I was surprised but then, Trigeminal Neuralgia was a surprise. The side effects of high doses of Topamax for me were serious cognitive issues hence, no help - bad side effects. I did find other medicines in combination that work - Nortriptiline, Trileptol and Gabapentin.

November 6, 2010 10:32 PM

OK if you can tolerate the side effects

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2009 7:41 AM

Review by MA 57:

I have taken it for 1 and 1/2 years for migraine. Also, after developing chronic lower back pain from degenerative discs it has really helped me cope with the pain.

July 13, 2008 5:37 PM

I suffered a stroke in '04 and my neurologist prescribed Neurontin to deal with the resulting numbness and tingling on the right side. A year later, and after emergency gall bladder surgery, he put me on a low dose of Topamax instead. It worked well, but I've had to eventually increase the dosage. The side effects were minimal; I needed to lose the 35 lbs I lost (and my wardrobe needed updating :0), and the additional tingling is nothing compared to what I feel when I don't take it. Expensive!

April 27, 2008 4:51 PM