User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Topamax Review Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 9 medications used in the treatment of Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Reviews for Topamax to treat Trigeminal Neuralgia

"Placed on Topamax for severe migraine and trigeminal neuralgia. 3 days later became disorientated with rash and soreness all over body then skin became scaley. Numbness in both hands and feet. Ceased Topamax."

Andreivna (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2014

"It took me a year to be diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia - and I had to go to a doctor in Vienna for this, because the doctors in Romania misdiagnosed me - but Topamax is the medicine that really saved my life. Literally! Because I was contemplating suicide, the pain was that bad and nothing else was working for me. I have lost a little weight in the first couple of months and I also have some trouble finding common words while speaking, but otherwise I did not experience any other side effects so far. My cholesterol level is now increasing - I am wondering if anyone is experiencing that as a possible side effect."

pepper73 February 23, 2012

"This did not help my Trigeminal Neuralgia at all even at high doses. It had helped me in the past for neuropathic pain in my neck, so I was surprised but then, Trigeminal Neuralgia was a surprise. The side effects of high doses of Topamax for me were serious cognitive issues hence, no help - bad side effects. I did find other medicines in combination that work - Nortriptiline, Trileptol and Gabapentin."

ivebeenthere November 6, 2010

"OK if you can tolerate the side effects"

Anonymous March 13, 2009

"I have taken it for 1 and 1/2 years for migraine. Also, after developing chronic lower back pain from degenerative discs it has really helped me cope with the pain."

MA 57 July 13, 2008

"I suffered a stroke in '04 and my neurologist prescribed Neurontin to deal with the resulting numbness and tingling on the right side. A year later, and after emergency gall bladder surgery, he put me on a low dose of Topamax instead. It worked well, but I've had to eventually increase the dosage. The side effects were minimal; I needed to lose the 35 lbs I lost (and my wardrobe needed updating :0), and the additional tingling is nothing compared to what I feel when I don't take it. Expensive!"

Anonymous April 27, 2008