User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Topamax review summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 32 medications used in the treatment of Seizure Prevention.

Reviews for Topamax to treat Seizure Prevention

Review by Back to start...:

When I first used Topamax it was for seizures but I had not been diagnosed with bipolar then it was thought to be depression. I lost 83 pounds but I stopped taking it because of the tingling in my hands and face, but after trying other medications years later I gained 123 pounds which I was devastated and plunged in a deep depression that I am still in after reading about again I know, I can live with the other things it seems minor to the darkness I have been living in I can't what to try it again after realizing its better than 99% of things I tried when I go to my appointment in two weeks. I'm excited for the first time in a long time to try it again.

February 6, 2014 12:31 AM

Review by cademan123 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medicine was great in taking care of seizures but I honestly felt like I was crazy most of the time. I lost weight which I was happy with but when it comes to the final review, I was a crazy, small person. I couldn't even call an order in on the phone because I couldn't think fast enough, I went back to my doctor and ask him to take me off this.

November 27, 2013 7:53 AM

Review by rogi (taken for 5 to 10 years):

This is for the Newbies out there. I started this medication when I was 15. Had my first seizure few days before before my 15th birthday. The first side effect you will experience is sleepiness, don't fight it. Let your body get a nap between 1-3, which I found to be the best time. I sleep for 1 hour and still can fall asleep at night. I am 21 now. Some advice to you, whenever you don't feel like eating I found that sweet tea gets me hungry, find that X factor in you. The weight loss is insane. I lost 40 pounds in 6 months just by breathing. Now, sleep patterns are important. If an average person needs 8 hours you and I need 9-10 MINIMUM also try to take the dose at the same time every day, you will fall asleep faster. Hang out to see sunrise.

July 21, 2013 10:00 AM

Review by tnl3 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Confusion, forget, tingling, lights in the corner of eye shining, drops of water dripping on head at times, but the weight loss was good, but its not worth it for me.

November 15, 2012 12:26 PM

I liked Topamax because I never worried about having a seizure. I obtained complete control and the added benefit of helping the migraines, however the MD discontinued it after I had personality changes, severe weight loss and acidosis.

October 2, 2012 1:09 PM

Review by FortyFour (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was prescribed this medicine to treat my petite mal seizures. I was never warned of any potential side-effects, and never thought to ask, seeing as I had never taken a medicine before. After I began taking this, my seizures graduated to full out grand mal seizures. I couldn't speak, I couldn't understand others' speech, and I couldn't sleep more than a few hours most nights. Everything came to a heads about four months after I began taking the medicine, when I couldn't remember how to say "Bye" to my dad. I would have rather had seizures EVERY day than stay on Topamax! I got off of the medicine, and am now on Lamictal, under which I haven't had any seizures or side-effects in the two years I've been taking it.

June 20, 2012 7:56 PM

Review by lazyfries85:

First off my dosage 200mg twice a day, 26 yo male. It's works, in fact the only anti-seizure medication that has worked for me. I have noticed weight loss of 15 to 20lbs under my natural weight (135 to 155 at 5'11") from being on the meds to off (but that could be lack of exercise). Other than that keeps me going in my daily life. Just don't miss too many.

February 21, 2012 12:51 PM

Review by teaspoon dad:

My five year old was prescribed this medicine after he started having breakout seizures on his other medicines. After about two weeks the seizures had not decreased and he started complaining of severe eye pain. A visit to the eye doctor confirmed very high pressure in his eyes. It did not work well for him.

June 1, 2011 9:33 PM

I've been on Topamax (250 mg/day) for 8 years now. Up until last week, I was seizure free for 7 years. Everything I tried prior to Topamax resulted in breakthrough seizures every couple of weeks. Topamax enabled me to get my license, a full time job, move out of my parent's house, and eventually get my Bachelor's degree (next year!). Put simply, Topamax gave me a life!

March 30, 2010 10:20 PM

Review by robbie1106:

I took Topamax for approximately 5 years with little trouble. I did have the metallic taste, and could not drink carbonated beverages. In July 2009, I had to quit Topamax due to a little published side effect, kidney stones. I was on a pretty large dose (600 mg). I had a 9mm Kidney stone and many many small stones. I take Keppra XR now. It prevents the seizures, but I have gained all the weight plus some that I had lost on Topamax, but no seizures or kidney stones.

January 31, 2010 6:19 PM

Review by Lesa66:

After years of being on Carbamazepine and gaining a lot of weight I was switched to Topamax/Topiramate. First to 300 mg then because of G.I. side effects to 100 mg a day and adding 50 mg of Lamictal. G.I. symptoms are gone. I do experience the metal taste, some tingling in my hands and feet, tiredness, blurred vision, some diarrhea but these are few and far between, my weight is stabilized and not many problems with sleep. Any breakthrough seizures I have is usually when I don't maintain my regular sleep cycle, get overstressed, etc. The plus is that I am able to have a normal life. I work full-time, hunt, fish, exercise, have 2 grown boys, hobbies and my husband and I have a very active social life. Inconvenient yes but worth it!

November 27, 2009 8:22 AM

Review by EllieTay:

Best medication for me yet- I have my life back. Give it time and be patient. Let your body adjust to the drug slowly and be sure to stay hydrated and eat enough even though you might not feel hungry. Drinking smoothies helps. Get enough potassium and you wont feel tingly. I can finally go back to being a student and ballet dancer without seizures! Trust me- this medication can give you your life back.

November 14, 2009 2:01 PM

Review by Peeper Lady:

I have been on Topamax for about 4 years. I have a brain tumor and migraines with seizures. I was on Divalproax and had gained weight (178lbs). I am 5'3". When my doctor put me on Topamax, my hands and feet tingled, everything tasted like metal, for about a month or so I also felt like I was on "speed". After the first month or so and some dosage alterations, I am very happy. No seizures, headaches gone, I am now a size 3, yeah, and will be very upset if someone takes my Topamax away.

October 14, 2009 9:43 PM

Review by firehawker:

I have had extremely positive effects from this drug, but I do have to take Prozac with it as it causes mood swings or depression with me.

October 1, 2009 12:22 PM

I've been on this medication for 3 years now for my seizures (50mg/2 daily) and have not had any episodes since. At first I would get a tingling feeling in my fingers and toes (like soda fizz), but it went away once my body was used to the drug. Recently, my pharmacy switched me to the generic version and I hated it. Immediately that first day, I would get crazy headaches, feel dizzy, sick to my stomach and I couldn't concentrate on anything. I went back to my neurologist and got a new prescription for brand name only and have not had any problems since. I was also still using the drug during my recent pregnancy and am happy to report no problems or side effects what-so-ever.

September 5, 2009 9:59 PM

Review by chicken little:

Was taking this medication for a seizure disorder. I was on it for a about 4 0r 5 months, but had to go off of it because of all the side effects. I was extremely depressed, crying at least 7 or 8 times a day. Memory loss, could not sleep, tingling in feet and hands. The only good thing about it was I lost 32 lbs in about 6 weeks.

August 12, 2009 12:28 PM

Review by CodysWifey:

Have been on it for two weeks now, lost 20 lbs, had two episodes. Have short term memory loss, can't think of words, tired all the time, feel like I can't function at work. On 50 mg in the morning and at night (100 mg a day), going up to 150 a day, increasing to 100mg at night. Having problems sleeping at night. I'm getting used to the side effects though. They get better with time, I guess just hang in there. The weight loss is a big plus, I have no appetite at all, I have to make myself eat. Confusion is a big problem, I'm not driving now.

July 22, 2009 6:14 PM

Review by cryste1:

Topamax is very good at helping me with keeping my seizures away. My main problem though, is sometimes anywhere between 3:00 and 5:00 in the afternoon I have a "nap crash". Meaning my eyes want to close because I feel drowsy no matter how much I try to fight it and within a few minutes after my eyes close I'm completely unconscious.

June 2, 2009 8:27 PM

I have been taking Topamax now for ten years. I love it. It has controlled my seizures and the side effects are minimal. I still get tired but not as bad as the other drugs I have been on.

March 22, 2009 11:53 AM

Review by LauraK8:

This medication has really helped my seizures plus my migraines. It is really convenient because I have both problems and I don't have to take two medications for both problems. Topamax is great.

February 23, 2009 9:08 PM

Review by KarenHG:

I have to take a very low dose or suffer from stomach problems and diarrhea. If I miss just one day can allow mild seizures to come through. Otherwise it works well.

February 19, 2009 1:34 PM

Review by Seizurific:

Years on it. Yes the headaches are gone...woopie!

August 16, 2008 12:11 AM

Review by Cindy15161:

I have been on this medicine for about a week now. I was on it before for about 3-4 years. After the inital side effects which lasted probably about a month the only one that lasted was that I had a lot of energy, which always isn't so bad. Everyone reacts to medicines differently though. I didn't have such a bad experience with this one.

May 27, 2008 12:41 PM

Topamax has really decreased my seisure activity, and as a bonus my headaches. However; I do still take a nap everyday after school. It is a must.

March 9, 2008 1:14 PM