User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Topamax Review Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 47 medications used in the treatment of Obesity.

Reviews for Topamax to treat Obesity

"I started 25 mg on June 2nd at bedtime I had the tingling in my hands and bitter taste in my mouth I also fought to remember what I had done all night and morning I felt like a complete zombie..I took one dose and haven't took anymore since the side effects this pill has isn't worth me risking it I'd rather keep my weight until I find another way to get it off and to this day June 5, 2015 I still have tingling in my hands and feet and numbness in my arms along with swelling in my fingers I will never take another topamax it's awful...."

Isn't for me (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2015

"I was on 25 mg to start and ended up taking 100. I lost weight. But the price I paid in side effects was not worth it. I lost so much hair that when I try to braid it it's like braiding tiny strands of dental floss. It looks so ridiculous long I had to chop it all off just to conceal how grossly thin it is. People call it dopamax for a reason. It made my memory Swiss cheese and when I had to process information it felt like fighting through seaweed. The worst side effect was the depression. This stuff makes me downright suicidal. It helped me lose about 80 pounds by starvation. I never wanted to eat. I became anemic. If you've never had that before you'll find simple physical tasks to feel like they're inciting heart attacks."

Jennoyed May 30, 2015

"I started taking 50 mg of Topomax for the first month and went up to 100mg for the next three months. Lost 40 pounds.... For the next year and a half I have kept off the weight but have not lost any more. I still need to lose 30 more pounds, but have seemed to plateaued. And I am at 200 mg now... dont know what to do."

Lindzh90 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 29, 2015

"I have struggled for years with what I thought was just a problem with controlling my hunger, I would never eat around anyone and then once everyone was asleep I was starved. I finally seen a psychiatrist for my ADD symptoms and while he was modifying my medication he diagnosed me with binge eating disorder. To my surprise he was right. I had no control. I had always bounced on diets. He started me on Topamax 25mg and I knew instantly it will work. It has a calming affect. I feel so full and I am going to bed without eating for the first time in years. I am very thankful. Not every medication is for everyone. I am pleased with this one so far."

momma3kitties (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2015

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am extremely obese. My starting weight when I started taking Topamax was 289.0 lbs. I weighed myself every few days. I started for one week taking 25 mg in the morning and 25 mg in the evening. Now I take 50mg in the morning and 50 in the evening. Im also eating right veggies and fruits and snacks. This medication is making me lose at least 13 lbs since Jan. 5, 15 and today I'm 276.0 and its Jan. 19, 2015. in that short amount of time that's a good amount of weight to drop. So thank you Topamax!"

Steph6981 (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2015

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was very excited when I started taking this medication. And then.... I had read the side effects and was like oh this is crazy. I will say I was on no other medication. I have never had hair loss like this. It was gobs of hair in my shower. The previous posters that refer to brain fog - yep that too."

NASHVEGAS (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Awful. I lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks before I had to quit Topamax due to side effects, which were terrible. They included: memory loss and "senior moments" which increased 10-fold, I think this medicine dropped my IQ at least 15 points, that "I'm not part of this world" feeling of disconnectedness; and overheating to the point that I simply could not work out. Gained the 10 pounds back within 3 weeks of quitting."

Mike_West Coast August 31, 2014

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Topamax for a little less than a month and already lost 16 pounds! My doctor gave it to me for the weight loss effects and I have had no adverse side effects that I know of so far. It rates a 10 in my book!"

Happy Camper (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2013

398 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Losing 10lbs plus per month."

Tater young hgarytre (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2013

181 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Topamax is amazing. I originally took it 6 years ago to prevent migraines and lost 80 lbs as a bonus. At that time my doctor and I speculated that it would some day be approved for weight loss because I was not his only patient to report changes in the taste of carbonated beverages and chocolate while taking the medication. I also noticed that I did not dream about food while taking the medication, but within 3 months of changing medications food reentered my dream content. I am now back on the medication to address chronic pain issues and have already found the same results in weight loss, taste changes, and dream content."

Anonymous February 24, 2012

287 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been battling my weight since I was pregnant with my first son, who just turned 2. I was 165 when I got pregnant with him, and on the day I went in to have my second son (who is 5 months old today) I weighed 270. I just took my first 25 mg dose of Topamax last night. I am addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper and can't even stand the taste. Not hungry either, so I'm hopeful that this medicine will work. I also take Celexa and Tenuate. I don't know if it's the combination, or just the Topamax, but I am feeling kind of "floaty" today, in a sense. Maybe this will improve with time."

mommy_of_2 September 15, 2011

149 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Definitely takes away my hunger."

Anonymous September 12, 2011

157 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm a Male in my early 50's. I was struggling with weight loss. My doc put me on Topamax several years ago to curb my appetite and since then I've been able to loose 65lbs and keep it off."

BOB321 March 6, 2011

192 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Topomax combined with Melatonin have prevented me from waking up and eating in middle of the night. Has allowed me to diet and make progress. However, side effects have been challenging, mental fog, reduced sex drive are just a few."

Anonymous February 15, 2011

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I haven't been on Topiramate very long, only a couple of months. Started taking it for RLS (restless leg syndrome). I was really surprised to see that it is sometimes used as a weight loss medicine. I didn't really notice any difference in my appetite. However, my last visit to doctor did show that I've lost 5lbs. I don't like the tingling, crawling skin sensation side effect. That went away after a few days."

Anonymous September 26, 2010

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was on Topamax for almost 3 years, was prescribed it for severe migraines. The weight loss was a side effect, a nice one though! I didn't need to lose much to begin with, maybe 20lbs or so, and I started to notice that I went from the 140's to the 120's. I am now off this medicine as I have been migraine free for almost two years and the only bad thing I can say is that the weight comes right back on if you're not watching very carefully. Also - HUGE side effect was the medicine caused my body to not sweat, which caused severe overheating. It's a less common side effect, but a very super important one to be aware of."

Anonymous July 8, 2010

187 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was not dealing with depression issues at the time of taking this, but after a week I had to quit because I had thoughts of suicide."

Chrystal_Joy September 23, 2009

"I've been on Topamax since March 2009. I've lost 75 of the 110 pounds I need to lose. The side effects are annoying and, in the beginning I really wanted to quit the medication. But as I've lost the weight, I've actually been able to decrease the dosage so a lot of the side effects have decreased as well. Some of them are easier to live with than others. The paresthesia has mostly subsided, but I do still struggle with memory lapses. I quit drinking all carbonated beverages because I do not like the way they taste. That has probably helped with the weight loss anyway. Overall, I am quite pleased. I am also pleased to read that others have been able to maintain their weight on this drug."

Smartchick73 July 20, 2009

180 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have struggled with weight loss for years. Food cravings are one of my "symptoms." Topamax really did help with this, however my energy and memory are not what they use to be. Originally I thought it was a trade off I could adjust to but the fuzzy memory for me is frustrating. I sometimes say words that I am thinking about and don't even realize it. Then argue that I didn't say it, only to find out I did. Silly, but worth revisitng my physician about. I struggle with the same 10-20 lbs but won't give up. I would recommend trying it to people who are serious about weight loss. It helps you push your plate away and not obsess about food. That was an experience I had never had before, but I need my memory."

Anonymous April 7, 2009

162 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have never had the feeling of being full and have fought obesity since childhood. I had a successful gastric bypass in 1980 (but with serious lifelong medical complications) and lost 170lbs at after the operation. Over the years I've gained and lost up to 70lbs but never held a steady weight. I saw a psychiatrist 6 years ago (for other reasons) and shared this with him. He told me about Topamax and explained that it did not work in everyone, but had with some of his patients with true food disorders. He started me at 5mg/day and increased the dosage by 5mg/ week. When I reached 150mg/day I noticed that I consistently pushed my plate away or stopped eating when I was full. It has been a miracle, and my weight hasn't varied more than 5lbs in 7 years."

beadyb November 7, 2008

292 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Obesity