User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Topamax review summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 48 medications used in the treatment of Obesity.

Reviews for Topamax to treat Obesity

Review by Mike_West Coast:

Awful. I lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks before I had to quit Topamax due to side effects, which were terrible. They included: memory loss and "senior moments" which increased 10-fold, I think this medicine dropped my IQ at least 15 points, that "I'm not part of this world" feeling of disconnectedness; and overheating to the point that I simply could not work out. Gained the 10 pounds back within 3 weeks of quitting.

August 31, 2014 1:47 PM

Review by Happy Camper (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on Topamax for a little less than a month and already lost 16 pounds! My doctor gave it to me for the weight loss effects and I have had no adverse side effects that I know of so far. It rates a 10 in my book!

225 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 24, 2013 5:57 PM

Review by Tater young hgarytre (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Losing 10lbs plus per month.

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2013 7:02 AM

Topamax is amazing. I originally took it 6 years ago to prevent migraines and lost 80 lbs as a bonus. At that time my doctor and I speculated that it would some day be approved for weight loss because I was not his only patient to report changes in the taste of carbonated beverages and chocolate while taking the medication. I also noticed that I did not dream about food while taking the medication, but within 3 months of changing medications food reentered my dream content. I am now back on the medication to address chronic pain issues and have already found the same results in weight loss, taste changes, and dream content.

178 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2012 12:05 AM

Review by mommy_of_2:

I have been battling my weight since I was pregnant with my first son, who just turned 2. I was 165 when I got pregnant with him, and on the day I went in to have my second son (who is 5 months old today) I weighed 270. I just took my first 25 mg dose of Topamax last night. I am addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper and can't even stand the taste. Not hungry either, so I'm hopeful that this medicine will work. I also take Celexa and Tenuate. I don't know if it's the combination, or just the Topamax, but I am feeling kind of "floaty" today, in a sense. Maybe this will improve with time.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2011 2:10 PM

Definitely takes away my hunger.

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2011 11:16 PM

Review by BOB321:

I'm a Male in my early 50's. I was struggling with weight loss. My doc put me on Topamax several years ago to curb my appetite and since then I've been able to loose 65lbs and keep it off.

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2011 10:24 PM

Topomax combined with Melatonin have prevented me from waking up and eating in middle of the night. Has allowed me to diet and make progress. However, side effects have been challenging, mental fog, reduced sex drive are just a few.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2011 10:46 AM

I haven't been on Topiramate very long, only a couple of months. Started taking it for RLS (restless leg syndrome). I was really surprised to see that it is sometimes used as a weight loss medicine. I didn't really notice any difference in my appetite. However, my last visit to doctor did show that I've lost 5lbs. I don't like the tingling, crawling skin sensation side effect. That went away after a few days.

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 26, 2010 10:06 AM

I was on Topamax for almost 3 years, was prescribed it for severe migraines. The weight loss was a side effect, a nice one though! I didn't need to lose much to begin with, maybe 20lbs or so, and I started to notice that I went from the 140's to the 120's. I am now off this medicine as I have been migraine free for almost two years and the only bad thing I can say is that the weight comes right back on if you're not watching very carefully. Also - HUGE side effect was the medicine caused my body to not sweat, which caused severe overheating. It's a less common side effect, but a very super important one to be aware of.

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2010 4:00 PM

Review by Chrystal_Joy:

I was not dealing with depression issues at the time of taking this, but after a week I had to quit because I had thoughts of suicide.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2009 12:55 AM

Review by Smartchick73:

I've been on Topamax since March 2009. I've lost 75 of the 110 pounds I need to lose. The side effects are annoying and, in the beginning I really wanted to quit the medication. But as I've lost the weight, I've actually been able to decrease the dosage so a lot of the side effects have decreased as well. Some of them are easier to live with than others. The paresthesia has mostly subsided, but I do still struggle with memory lapses. I quit drinking all carbonated beverages because I do not like the way they taste. That has probably helped with the weight loss anyway. Overall, I am quite pleased. I am also pleased to read that others have been able to maintain their weight on this drug.

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 20, 2009 10:47 AM

I have struggled with weight loss for years. Food cravings are one of my "symptoms." Topamax really did help with this, however my energy and memory are not what they use to be. Originally I thought it was a trade off I could adjust to but the fuzzy memory for me is frustrating. I sometimes say words that I am thinking about and don't even realize it. Then argue that I didn't say it, only to find out I did. Silly, but worth revisitng my physician about. I struggle with the same 10-20 lbs but won't give up. I would recommend trying it to people who are serious about weight loss. It helps you push your plate away and not obsess about food. That was an experience I had never had before, but I need my memory.

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 7, 2009 11:06 PM

Review by beadyb:

I have never had the feeling of being full and have fought obesity since childhood. I had a successful gastric bypass in 1980 (but with serious lifelong medical complications) and lost 170lbs at after the operation. Over the years I've gained and lost up to 70lbs but never held a steady weight. I saw a psychiatrist 6 years ago (for other reasons) and shared this with him. He told me about Topamax and explained that it did not work in everyone, but had with some of his patients with true food disorders. He started me at 5mg/day and increased the dosage by 5mg/ week. When I reached 150mg/day I noticed that I consistently pushed my plate away or stopped eating when I was full. It has been a miracle, and my weight hasn't varied more than 5lbs in 7 years.

226 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2008 3:47 AM