User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Topamax review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Topamax to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Taking Topamax with Zoloft ... my first week was a tough but I feel so good. I have PTS, bipolar, depression, anxiety and in the 4 months I had three episodes and that's so good I was having episodes everyday. I feel good.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2014 3:37 AM

Review by Steph B (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been taking Topamax for mood disorder for the past six months along with my antidepressant and anxiety meds and I thinks it's GREAT! It's improved my mood so much with no side effect. I recommend it to anyone.

September 13, 2014 1:23 AM

Review by manc_lover (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been on every medicine. I've had electroshock therapy. Medications don't really work for me very well. I'm only taking Lithium ER 450 mg right now cos my body can't handle more of it. I was taking Topamax for headaches, I thought, but my psychiatrist said it might help my mood. Been taking it for years. I didn't know that it did work for me until I stopped using it. I broke into a manic episode because I started taking that Garcinia weight loss thing, and I wasn't on the Topamax. Well, I guess Topamax DOES work.

July 30, 2014 2:24 PM

Review by Bridget Wolfe (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Was put on Topamax for migraines a year and a half ago, I have had maybe one or two headaches since being on this medicine compared to the weekly migraines I was having before the Topamax AND I am down 80 pounds. I only take 100mg a day. I was just diagnosed with bipolar 1 and after reading this forum I am going to talk to my doctor and see if upping my dose will help with that since I've seen that it is helping all of you. I am feeling quite confident that this could be my medicine of choice for multiple ailments. Good luck to all in your search.

May 16, 2014 1:41 PM

Review by Zoe014 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I tried EVERY medication out there, I swear. It has always ended badly, bad side effects, bad combinations, etc. And because of that I have been more against taking meds. Once we finally figured out that depression wasn't my problem, and I was diagnosed with a mood disorder (unofficially Bipolar II since I'm still not 18), I'm finally on 75mg of Topamax, 20mg of Prozac, and then I take Adderall XR 30mg and Adderall normal 10mg and this combination has had any positive effect, without any negative side effects. I do think I have suffered from the side effect of memory loss and slow thinking, not enough to make me stop taking it though. It has helped me so much and I recommend to anyone who is having trouble finding medicines that work for them.

May 11, 2014 3:56 PM

Review by great days ahead (taken for less than 1 month):

I have felt great. No weight loss yet but I feel very good. I am taking it with sertraline. And so far it is the right medicine for me.

May 6, 2014 4:18 AM

Review by GeddysFaveHeadache (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been taking it for mood and it works wonders! Mood is stable with only one side affect.

April 1, 2014 12:12 AM

I only took this drug for 3 days before ending up in the psych unit from a psychotic episode. I had never had one before, mind you. My Dr. warned me, also, when he gave me the Rx, to watch for symptoms of such an episode. He did not go on to tell me specifically what those symptoms would be like and I had no idea what this could entail. He said the drug had/has been known to cause these episodes. Just telling me to watch for symptoms though...by the time I starting having the symptoms, I was too paranoid to be able to do anything about it or even realize what was happening since I had never had such an episode. It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced in my life and I still have nightmares and anxiety about the things experienced in my head and thoughts during the time of the episode that lasted for 2 weeks, even while in the hospital. I would love to sue the pants off the makers and that doctor, who, by the way, when my mother called my doctor for help, he stated "Since she won't talk to me, I am not her doctor anymore as of this moment." I wouldn't get on the phone because I was in the middle of a psychotic episode and thought everyone was trying to kill me. Great doctor, huh?! DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 10, 2013 9:20 PM

Review by adoptionsworker:

I have had a good experience after trying to find the right cocktail for several years. I have a very high-stress job and my anxiety is put to the test daily. It is not clinically significant at this point and I can only attribute that to finally having my medicines right. I am taking Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Topamax and Zoloft at pretty low dosages for each. I did lose about 70 pounds. After over a year on the Topamax, my normal appetite has started to return and I have gained back about 10 pounds, but I still have self control that I lacked when I was fighting depression which is now at bay.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2013 6:05 PM

Review by KimberBR:

Stabilizing when used with Lamictal and Lexapro.

February 10, 2013 4:46 PM

Review by chaotic-life (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Over the edge..best thing ever!

January 22, 2013 9:58 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

I took Topamax for 12 years as a mood stabilizer for Bipolar 1 disorder. It is a GREAT mood stabilizer and I used to be quite heavy and I lost 100 pounds in around 6 months (yes you read that right!). The bad part was HORRIBLE side effects. Constant itching in the summer. I developed a 9mm kidney stone when I had no prior history. I developed a blood disorder (something acidosis, was told this was a rare side effect, but that was why I stopped taking it. However, if I could go back in time would I still take it? You bet! One of the best mood stabilizers I've ever been on. Just make sure you EAT when taking it, it makes you not want to eat.

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 16, 2012 9:51 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I switched to Topamax from Lamictal to see if it would control my bipolar disorder and help me lose weight. My mood and sleep have been incredible and I have lost 15 lbs in 6 weeks on Topamax. I was a little worried about having memory problems but have not suffered this side effect at all. Have a little tingling in my feet at night but not bad enough to stop taking it. Overall I highly recommend this medication for bipolar disorder.

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2012 6:17 PM

I was diagnosed with bipolar seven years ago and have basically been on Topamax along with Welbutrin the whole time. I have not really experienced the weight loss. I do feel fatigued and have been feeling very angry lately. I also feel sort of zombied out.

March 17, 2012 8:51 PM

Started taking this about a month ago to level out my moods. I noticed difficulty focusing at first but it stopped. I'm also having tingling hands, feet, and face occasionally but with the way this medicine works it's worth it. Since I've been on it I'm like a new person, this medicine is a God send. Try it.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2012 1:45 AM

I started this medication for weight lose, bipolar, migraines. Seems like it may just be perfect...hopefully. I just finished my first week and lost 3 pounds! I workout 5-6 days a week but due to antidepressants making me gain so much weight, regardless of my diet and exercise I am fat. So today stepping on that scale and seeing 3 POUNDS LIGHGTER! I am a very moody person but the medicine seems to be making it right, moods seem to be very level. And haven't had one migraine! No side effects other than weight loss and loss of appetite..can't complain about that!

January 14, 2012 11:51 PM

Review by annie2belle:

I have taken Topamax for bipolar twice. First for three years then now for a year. Do not know why I ever went off! This has been great for me after 25 years on lithium which was like living under 4 wet wool blankets. I also tried Depakote which only increased the weight gain and depression. At first, the side effects were a bit rough even at the initial very low dose of 25 mg. Very sleepy and tingly of hands and feet. BUT they pass, they really do. It may take a week of just being exhausted even when you increase your dose. The appetite depressant is wonderful. Also cuts down on general anxiety. Takes the real edge off the hypomania. I have not had any of the problems with finding words, etc.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 6, 2011 9:23 AM

Review by Levelled Out!!!:

I have been diagnosed with anxiety for over 10 years taking Lexapro and with Bipolar for 3 months and have been on Topamax. I love it. Have lost weight and feel great.

August 1, 2011 8:24 PM

Review by bentleybandit:

Topamax helps tremendously with mixed bipolar and rapid cycling. However I was an athlete at the time, rode cycling and a psychiatric nurse, I went from 120 to 105. This was not a bad experience for me. My manager illegally pulled me in her office and told me, granted she is not even an RN and told me I had anorexia and an eating disorder and illegally discriminated against me to stop me from working with eating disordered patients. My doctor even told her I was normal and healthy, just solid muscle. PS. Have you ever seen a serious road cyclist have an ounce of fat on them?

June 25, 2011 12:01 AM

Review by libertyk:

I have taken this for about a year. I have lost about 40 lbs. I am taking it to help depressed moods. I also have to take the brand and not the generic. I will have late onset asthma with the generics and other unpleasant side effects. I tried more than once to use generics but it won't work. So , give it a try if you can afford the brand name. IT makes a big difference. I also found that all my migraines disappeared while taking this. What a relief that was.

March 7, 2011 9:23 PM

Review by learndmy lesson:

Caused hair loss, moods were crazy- very anxious and memory loss. After 8 weeks the weight loss is not worth it. 5lbs and I bet that was just in hair loss!

October 14, 2010 11:48 AM

Review by wordtrix:

Do not take with Stay Slim Appetite Suppressant or you will have diarrhea.

September 6, 2010 12:28 AM

Review by survivorofmoodstabilizers:

I have taken Topamax for the last 8 months as a mood stabilizer. It has worked great, not only has it helped with my moods, but it also helped me lose more than 30 lbs without struggling to lose it. It was easy and great. I am happy again and I don't feel like I want to chew off everyone's head when I start to get irritable or around "that time of month". It's been a life saver.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 7, 2010 3:29 AM

Review by drugcount:

Made me lethargic and very thirsty. My thirst interfered with my sleeping. I had to drink in the middle of the night and use restroom. So, taken off this one.

June 25, 2010 10:25 AM

Review by snackattacka:

This is a fantastic medication. The day I was prescribed it and started taking it was nothing short of a miracle. I had never heard of anything like it before. I had been on and off trials of anti-depressants like Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Zypreza, etc for years and none of them did anything for me. This was an entirely different class of medication and the new psychopharmacologist I had told me so before he gave it to me. When it kicked in after several weeks I literally felt it one day while riding the bus. I was trying to have one of those negative, anxiety-ridden feelings and a flush just came over me that downgraded that sensation. The only drawback is that this medication completely stopped working for me after one and a half years.

May 11, 2010 5:53 PM