User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Topamax Review Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Topamax to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I was diagnosed with bipolar depression about a year ago. I have been on topamax for that as well as migraine headaches for 8 to 9ish months now. The migraines went away, and I have lost about 40 pounds since taking Topamax! The only downfall is hair loss. I highly warn anybody taking this drug not to miss a dose or try weaning yourself off, because I have done both and ended up with very bad mood swings and will be crying on the floor one minute, then raging and angry, then it will be as if nothing happened."

Karley (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2015

"Miracle drug for me! I seem to have a bad reaction to every drug that is specifically for Bi-Polar! No, I'm not as creative as I was, but it's between being so high and then crashing so far down or a good steady me! I'll take this compared to a hospital any day."

Cradazd (taken for 10 years or more) June 6, 2015

"I was diagnosed bipolar 2 about 3 years ago. I am a 36 yr old female. I was originally given topamax 50mgs at night with seroquel 50mgs, as well as a variety of antidepressants and klonopin for anxiety. That worked great for awhile until it didn't and I weened myself off everything. DON'T DO THAT!! I had a horrible hypomanic episode followed by a 4 month depressive crash. I'm now on Latuda, Celexa, Klonopin, and my good buddy Topamax. I have had no serious side effects from Topamax. A little hair loss (more like extra hair in the brush) but it's only noticeable to me. Not bad. No word loss, no memory problems. I'm in grad school with a near 4.0 GPA. It helps me maintain my weight so the other meds don't affect me."

Penny__B May 16, 2015

"I am bipolar I and went on topomax as an alternative to the awful weight gaining meds I have been subjected to in past. My anxiety went through the roof! I was crying constantly, my heart was pounding and I became fearful to leave the house. I love the 10 pd weight loss but not worth the anxiety and hair loss...sad I wanted it to work"

angelash65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2015

"I can only describe my experience as horrendous. I was given topi max to balance out the severe anxiety and restlessness and insomnia I had on abilify. It had the opposite effect, after about three weeks taking it I developed severe fatigue, inability to swallow properly, paranoia and the anxiety and restlessness went through the roof, I have never been so close to ending it all to get out of the hell that had become my head. I stopped taking both abilify and topomax and resumed on my original aerogel. Within 24 hours all the symptoms of anxiety and suicidality had gone. A trully terrifying experience that nearly saw my children without a mother"

Lookingonthebrightside May 1, 2015

"I've been on Topamax before and it worked and went off I don't know why. I recently went back on it and it has made a world of difference. It's like night and day. I take it with Abilify and Xanax because I have really bad anxiety also. I am 24 and was so depressed I wasn't leaving my apartment but now I feel like a new person like I want to go out and do things again. I'm not held back. I like that this medicine doesn't make me gain weight too because I've had that problem in the past, I lost 10 pound since I went back on it 4 weeks ago. The only thing I will say that is not great is it slows down my thought process sometimes and it gives me tingles in my hands and face but not all the time. The benefits outweigh those side effects greatly."

Ldonut November 7, 2014

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Taking Topamax with Zoloft ... my first week was a tough but I feel so good. I have PTS, bipolar, depression, anxiety and in the 4 months I had three episodes and that's so good I was having episodes everyday. I feel good."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2014

"I have been taking Topamax for mood disorder for the past six months along with my antidepressant and anxiety meds and I thinks it's GREAT! It's improved my mood so much with no side effect. I recommend it to anyone."

Steph B (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2014

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on every medicine. I've had electroshock therapy. Medications don't really work for me very well. I'm only taking Lithium ER 450 mg right now cos my body can't handle more of it. I was taking Topamax for headaches, I thought, but my psychiatrist said it might help my mood. Been taking it for years. I didn't know that it did work for me until I stopped using it. I broke into a manic episode because I started taking that Garcinia weight loss thing, and I wasn't on the Topamax. Well, I guess Topamax DOES work. "

manc_lover (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2014

"Was put on Topamax for migraines a year and a half ago, I have had maybe one or two headaches since being on this medicine compared to the weekly migraines I was having before the Topamax AND I am down 80 pounds. I only take 100mg a day. I was just diagnosed with bipolar 1 and after reading this forum I am going to talk to my doctor and see if upping my dose will help with that since I've seen that it is helping all of you. I am feeling quite confident that this could be my medicine of choice for multiple ailments. Good luck to all in your search."

Bridget Wolfe (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 16, 2014

"I tried EVERY medication out there, I swear. It has always ended badly, bad side effects, bad combinations, etc. And because of that I have been more against taking meds. Once we finally figured out that depression wasn't my problem, and I was diagnosed with a mood disorder (unofficially Bipolar II since I'm still not 18), I'm finally on 75mg of Topamax, 20mg of Prozac, and then I take Adderall XR 30mg and Adderall normal 10mg and this combination has had any positive effect, without any negative side effects. I do think I have suffered from the side effect of memory loss and slow thinking, not enough to make me stop taking it though. It has helped me so much and I recommend to anyone who is having trouble finding medicines that work for them."

Zoe014 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2014

"I have felt great. No weight loss yet but I feel very good. I am taking it with sertraline. And so far it is the right medicine for me. "

great days ahead (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2014

"I have been taking it for mood and it works wonders! Mood is stable with only one side affect."

GeddysFaveHeadache (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2014

"I only took this drug for 3 days before ending up in the psych unit from a psychotic episode. I had never had one before, mind you. My Dr. warned me, also, when he gave me the Rx, to watch for symptoms of such an episode. He did not go on to tell me specifically what those symptoms would be like and I had no idea what this could entail. He said the drug had/has been known to cause these episodes. Just telling me to watch for symptoms though...by the time I starting having the symptoms, I was too paranoid to be able to do anything about it or even realize what was happening since I had never had such an episode. It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced in my life and I still have nightmares and anxiety about the things experienced in my head and thoughts during the time of the episode that lasted for 2 weeks, even while in the hospital. I would love to sue the pants off the makers and that doctor, who, by the way, when my mother called my doctor for help, he stated "Since she won't talk to me, I am not her doctor anymore as of this moment." I wouldn't get on the phone because I was in the middle of a psychotic episode and thought everyone was trying to kill me. Great doctor, huh?! DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Anonymous November 10, 2013

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had a good experience after trying to find the right cocktail for several years. I have a very high-stress job and my anxiety is put to the test daily. It is not clinically significant at this point and I can only attribute that to finally having my medicines right. I am taking Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Topamax and Zoloft at pretty low dosages for each. I did lose about 70 pounds. After over a year on the Topamax, my normal appetite has started to return and I have gained back about 10 pounds, but I still have self control that I lacked when I was fighting depression which is now at bay."

adoptionsworker March 27, 2013

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Stabilizing when used with Lamictal and Lexapro."

KimberBR February 10, 2013

"Over the edge..best thing ever!"

chaotic-life (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2013

"I took Topamax for 12 years as a mood stabilizer for Bipolar 1 disorder. It is a GREAT mood stabilizer and I used to be quite heavy and I lost 100 pounds in around 6 months (yes you read that right!). The bad part was HORRIBLE side effects. Constant itching in the summer. I developed a 9mm kidney stone when I had no prior history. I developed a blood disorder (something acidosis, was told this was a rare side effect, but that was why I stopped taking it. However, if I could go back in time would I still take it? You bet! One of the best mood stabilizers I've ever been on. Just make sure you EAT when taking it, it makes you not want to eat."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 16, 2012

141 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I switched to Topamax from Lamictal to see if it would control my bipolar disorder and help me lose weight. My mood and sleep have been incredible and I have lost 15 lbs in 6 weeks on Topamax. I was a little worried about having memory problems but have not suffered this side effect at all. Have a little tingling in my feet at night but not bad enough to stop taking it. Overall I highly recommend this medication for bipolar disorder."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2012

169 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with bipolar seven years ago and have basically been on Topamax along with Welbutrin the whole time. I have not really experienced the weight loss. I do feel fatigued and have been feeling very angry lately. I also feel sort of zombied out."

Anonymous March 17, 2012

"Started taking this about a month ago to level out my moods. I noticed difficulty focusing at first but it stopped. I'm also having tingling hands, feet, and face occasionally but with the way this medicine works it's worth it. Since I've been on it I'm like a new person, this medicine is a God send. Try it."

Anonymous February 12, 2012

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started this medication for weight lose, bipolar, migraines. Seems like it may just be perfect...hopefully. I just finished my first week and lost 3 pounds! I workout 5-6 days a week but due to antidepressants making me gain so much weight, regardless of my diet and exercise I am fat. So today stepping on that scale and seeing 3 POUNDS LIGHGTER! I am a very moody person but the medicine seems to be making it right, moods seem to be very level. And haven't had one migraine! No side effects other than weight loss and loss of appetite..can't complain about that!"

Anonymous January 14, 2012

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have taken Topamax for bipolar twice. First for three years then now for a year. Do not know why I ever went off! This has been great for me after 25 years on lithium which was like living under 4 wet wool blankets. I also tried Depakote which only increased the weight gain and depression. At first, the side effects were a bit rough even at the initial very low dose of 25 mg. Very sleepy and tingly of hands and feet. BUT they pass, they really do. It may take a week of just being exhausted even when you increase your dose. The appetite depressant is wonderful. Also cuts down on general anxiety. Takes the real edge off the hypomania. I have not had any of the problems with finding words, etc. "

annie2belle September 6, 2011

145 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been diagnosed with anxiety for over 10 years taking Lexapro and with Bipolar for 3 months and have been on Topamax. I love it. Have lost weight and feel great."

Levelled Out!!! August 1, 2011

"Topamax helps tremendously with mixed bipolar and rapid cycling. However I was an athlete at the time, rode cycling and a psychiatric nurse, I went from 120 to 105. This was not a bad experience for me. My manager illegally pulled me in her office and told me, granted she is not even an RN and told me I had anorexia and an eating disorder and illegally discriminated against me to stop me from working with eating disordered patients. My doctor even told her I was normal and healthy, just solid muscle. PS. Have you ever seen a serious road cyclist have an ounce of fat on them? "

bentleybandit June 25, 2011