Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Topiramate review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 50 medications used in the treatment of Obesity.

Reviews for Topiramate to treat Obesity

Review by Lindzh90 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Topamax (topiramate): I started taking 50 mg of Topomax for the first month and went up to 100mg for the next three months. Lost 40 pounds.... For the next year and a half I have kept off the weight but have not lost any more. I still need to lose 30 more pounds, but have seemed to plateaued. And I am at 200 mg now... dont know what to do.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 29, 2015 5:53 PM

Review by myblueyes121 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I actually requested to be put on topiramate to help lose weight knowing it was a side effect and to prevent my horrible migraines. I can say it has worked for both. I started out on 50mg a night on Dec.21, 2014 and at that time I weighed in at 227 lbs per Doc scales. At my last check up on March 31st I weighed 203. And my migraines were reduced greatly. The thing was my body was starting to get use to the medication so they did have to up the dosage to help my migraines; I'm now on 100mg a night. The side effects subsided after about two months of taking the medication (slightly tingling in the fingers and feet from time to time, little foggy/forgetful). I can not taste and have not had one carbonated beverage since the 21st of December.

April 17, 2015 2:48 PM

Review by SamanthaLM (taken for less than 1 month):

If you cannot tolerate Topamax/Trokendi (topamirate), please consider Zonegran (zonisamide). It is in the same class of drug as topamax, and does many of the same things. Its labeled use is an anti-convulsant, but the psychiatric and pain management clinic I go to uses it off-label for a number of uses, such as: weight loss, mood stabilization, migraine prevention, mild pain reduction properties. I took Zonegran successfully at 200 mg for 5 years and DID NOT experience tingling, numbness, dry mouth or flat-tasting carbonated beverages. Memory/recall did degrade unacceptably for me above 200 mg, but therapeutic dose is considered 300 mg.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2015 9:44 AM

Review by momma3kitties (taken for less than 1 month):

Topamax (topiramate): I have struggled for years with what I thought was just a problem with controlling my hunger, I would never eat around anyone and then once everyone was asleep I was starved. I finally seen a psychiatrist for my ADD symptoms and while he was modifying my medication he diagnosed me with binge eating disorder. To my surprise he was right. I had no control. I had always bounced on diets. He started me on Topamax 25mg and I knew instantly it will work. It has a calming affect. I feel so full and I am going to bed without eating for the first time in years. I am very thankful. Not every medication is for everyone. I am pleased with this one so far.

March 21, 2015 7:40 AM

Review by jackie french:

I am a African American woman with my natural hair. I have not experience any hair loss. I have been on topiramate for 10 days. I am taking 50 mg 1 pill only at night and I have lost 8 pounds so far. My doctor recommend I take 1 pill for 2 weeks before moving to 2 pills a day. I will probably stick with the one pill because I am losing the weight. I do exercise 5 days a week also so this helps. This pill alone is not going to work you need to get moving just a little. Treadmill 20 minutes is all I do. You can do it!!!! Good luck...

March 19, 2015 4:16 PM

Review by Steph6981 (taken for less than 1 month):

Topamax (topiramate): I am extremely obese. My starting weight when I started taking Topamax was 289.0 lbs. I weighed myself every few days. I started for one week taking 25 mg in the morning and 25 mg in the evening. Now I take 50mg in the morning and 50 in the evening. Im also eating right veggies and fruits and snacks. This medication is making me lose at least 13 lbs since Jan. 5, 15 and today I'm 276.0 and its Jan. 19, 2015. in that short amount of time that's a good amount of weight to drop. So thank you Topamax!

January 19, 2015 10:02 PM

Review by NASHVEGAS (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Topamax (topiramate): I was very excited when I started taking this medication. And then.... I had read the side effects and was like oh this is crazy. I will say I was on no other medication. I have never had hair loss like this. It was gobs of hair in my shower. The previous posters that refer to brain fog - yep that too.

December 27, 2014 10:24 AM

Review by Mizzjad (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been taking 25mg daily for the past 5 days and already lost 3.8kg or 8.3lbs. It's also been acting as a great mood stabiliser which is awesome because I have bipolar and Seroquel alone wasn't doing enough. Very happy with Topamax so far.

155 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2014 6:23 PM

Review by connieg89:

I have ADD and with that I have no self control over food, I've battled weight my entire adult life. My psychiatrists prescribed me topiramate, it's been 5 days today and I'm down 8.5 pds. Side effects are I feel pretty weak doing everything, fatigue, I've been getting hot a lot and I work outside. I just hope and pray these issues go away because the topiramate really works great controlling the cravings. I'm never hungry I love it.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 22, 2014 6:09 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been on topiramate for about 10 months now and have lost almost 60 lbs. I have had no real side affects except a very dry mouth if i don't drink enough during the day while I am am at work. My family Doctor has been monitoring my weight loss since day one. I also changed my cooking and eating habits and stopped drinking soft drinks and no longer crave sweets unless it is that time of the month. I have been overweight most of my life and I have tried for years to loose the weight by exercising and weight watchers but it wouldn't come off and stay off, and now it is!

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2014 10:37 PM

Review by Mike_West Coast:

Topamax (topiramate): Awful. I lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks before I had to quit Topamax due to side effects, which were terrible. They included: memory loss and "senior moments" which increased 10-fold, I think this medicine dropped my IQ at least 15 points, that "I'm not part of this world" feeling of disconnectedness; and overheating to the point that I simply could not work out. Gained the 10 pounds back within 3 weeks of quitting.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 31, 2014 1:47 PM

Review by LovelyNi (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on Topiramate 25mg for 1 week to be exact and have lost 8lbs as of this morning. I feel this has been my savior. I have always been healthy (no high blood pressure, no diabetes, no High Cholesterol) however I've always been obese and worked towards trying to rid myself of the weight in efforts to prevent myself from getting those diseases in the future. This has given me the kick start I need. It reduced my cravings for sweets and carbs as well as suppressed my appetite. I do eat 3 meals a day (or at least I try to when I can remember) but for the most part, I have the same amount of energy, I sleep AMAZINGLY, and haven't had any major side effects as others have mentioned. All good here!

302 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 27, 2014 10:07 AM

Review by Migraine - Weight Loss a Plus! (taken for less than 1 month):

Before Topamax I used to suffer from chronic migraines I mean 3-4 migraines a week. Been on Topamax for nearly 3 weeks, day one 25mg instant appetite suppressant loss 18.7lbs in 2wks! Inches everywhere, food taste good just eat very little of i.t I'm never ever hungry but I enjoy cooking! I have energy, not bogged down with lots of medicines anymore and not one full migraine! I'm excited to lose weight it's actually very easy to eat healthy. Its all you crave and I was a sweet addict. No ugly side effects as described, not on this dosage. So I hope this has helped someone.

306 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 18, 2014 2:28 PM

Review by Happy Camper (taken for less than 1 month):

Topamax (topiramate): I have been on Topamax for a little less than a month and already lost 16 pounds! My doctor gave it to me for the weight loss effects and I have had no adverse side effects that I know of so far. It rates a 10 in my book!

342 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 24, 2013 5:57 PM

Review by Farouchette (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on Topamax for around two months. I decided to go on them because I weighed around 105 kgs, I was feeling depressed and I couldn't stop binge eating. Through Topamax, I have lost 10 kgs in one month (that would be around 22 pounds). I feel so much better. My urge to binge eat is gone. I feel human again. I don't feel any side effects. I sleep better than before, I drink more water than before (as much as I should drink, before I didn't drink at all and had problems with my kidneys). When I first started topiramate, I got double vision. I read that this was a common side effect and saw my eye doctor about it. She said that it was because my vision improved a great deal. So, thank you Topamax, My health greatly improved.

236 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 3, 2013 6:43 AM

Review by Tater young hgarytre (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Topamax (topiramate): Losing 10lbs plus per month.

162 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2013 7:02 AM

Topamax (topiramate): Topamax is amazing. I originally took it 6 years ago to prevent migraines and lost 80 lbs as a bonus. At that time my doctor and I speculated that it would some day be approved for weight loss because I was not his only patient to report changes in the taste of carbonated beverages and chocolate while taking the medication. I also noticed that I did not dream about food while taking the medication, but within 3 months of changing medications food reentered my dream content. I am now back on the medication to address chronic pain issues and have already found the same results in weight loss, taste changes, and dream content.

255 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2012 12:05 AM

Review by mommy_of_2:

Topamax (topiramate): I have been battling my weight since I was pregnant with my first son, who just turned 2. I was 165 when I got pregnant with him, and on the day I went in to have my second son (who is 5 months old today) I weighed 270. I just took my first 25 mg dose of Topamax last night. I am addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper and can't even stand the taste. Not hungry either, so I'm hopeful that this medicine will work. I also take Celexa and Tenuate. I don't know if it's the combination, or just the Topamax, but I am feeling kind of "floaty" today, in a sense. Maybe this will improve with time.

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2011 2:10 PM

Topamax (topiramate): Definitely takes away my hunger.

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2011 11:16 PM

Review by BOB321:

Topamax (topiramate): I'm a Male in my early 50's. I was struggling with weight loss. My doc put me on Topamax several years ago to curb my appetite and since then I've been able to loose 65lbs and keep it off.

171 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2011 10:24 PM

Topamax (topiramate): Topomax combined with Melatonin have prevented me from waking up and eating in middle of the night. Has allowed me to diet and make progress. However, side effects have been challenging, mental fog, reduced sex drive are just a few.

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2011 10:46 AM

Topamax (topiramate): I haven't been on Topiramate very long, only a couple of months. Started taking it for RLS (restless leg syndrome). I was really surprised to see that it is sometimes used as a weight loss medicine. I didn't really notice any difference in my appetite. However, my last visit to doctor did show that I've lost 5lbs. I don't like the tingling, crawling skin sensation side effect. That went away after a few days.

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 26, 2010 10:06 AM

Topamax (topiramate): I was on Topamax for almost 3 years, was prescribed it for severe migraines. The weight loss was a side effect, a nice one though! I didn't need to lose much to begin with, maybe 20lbs or so, and I started to notice that I went from the 140's to the 120's. I am now off this medicine as I have been migraine free for almost two years and the only bad thing I can say is that the weight comes right back on if you're not watching very carefully. Also - HUGE side effect was the medicine caused my body to not sweat, which caused severe overheating. It's a less common side effect, but a very super important one to be aware of.

167 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2010 4:00 PM

Review by Chrystal_Joy:

Topamax (topiramate): I was not dealing with depression issues at the time of taking this, but after a week I had to quit because I had thoughts of suicide.

September 23, 2009 12:55 AM

Review by Smartchick73:

Topamax (topiramate): I've been on Topamax since March 2009. I've lost 75 of the 110 pounds I need to lose. The side effects are annoying and, in the beginning I really wanted to quit the medication. But as I've lost the weight, I've actually been able to decrease the dosage so a lot of the side effects have decreased as well. Some of them are easier to live with than others. The paresthesia has mostly subsided, but I do still struggle with memory lapses. I quit drinking all carbonated beverages because I do not like the way they taste. That has probably helped with the weight loss anyway. Overall, I am quite pleased. I am also pleased to read that others have been able to maintain their weight on this drug.

July 20, 2009 10:47 AM