User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Topiramate Review Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 50 medications used in the treatment of Obesity.

Reviews for Topiramate to treat Obesity

"I have been on 50mg of Topirimate for just over a month now and have had no weight loss. I am very disappointed. I suddenly gained 12 kilos last year due to medication and now weigh 55kg which is heavy for me. I want to lose 7kg to get back to my normal weight. I don't know whether to up my dose? Everyone seems to lose weight instantly?"

Sugarskullsweet66 July 4, 2015

"I was taking 400mg daily for chronic migraines, depression, and weight loss. It's very important to build up slowly otherwise the side effects can be extreme. I lost around maybe 50lbs while on it. When I got up to 300 - 400mg I started to have memory problems and sleep issues. After a while I felt like it had stopped working and dropped it, but that could have been from me forgetting to take it (memory issues remember). It takes a few weeks to a few months for the side effects to fully wear off. I started at 235 or 245, and went down to 185. I'm now back up to 200. I haven't exercised in years, and I didn't change my diet (I probably don't eat as healthy as I should)."

TwixMix (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I started 25 mg on June 2nd at bedtime I had the tingling in my hands and bitter taste in my mouth I also fought to remember what I had done all night and morning I felt like a complete zombie..I took one dose and haven't took anymore since the side effects this pill has isn't worth me risking it I'd rather keep my weight until I find another way to get it off and to this day June 5, 2015 I still have tingling in my hands and feet and numbness in my arms along with swelling in my fingers I will never take another topamax it's awful...."

Isn't for me (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I was on 25 mg to start and ended up taking 100. I lost weight. But the price I paid in side effects was not worth it. I lost so much hair that when I try to braid it it's like braiding tiny strands of dental floss. It looks so ridiculous long I had to chop it all off just to conceal how grossly thin it is. People call it dopamax for a reason. It made my memory Swiss cheese and when I had to process information it felt like fighting through seaweed. The worst side effect was the depression. This stuff makes me downright suicidal. It helped me lose about 80 pounds by starvation. I never wanted to eat. I became anemic. If you've never had that before you'll find simple physical tasks to feel like they're inciting heart attacks."

Jennoyed May 30, 2015

"I am on a two week trial. I have been on the medication for 5 days. I have noticed that soda taste disgusting. Which is a good thing for me. I don't feel or look as bloated. I have not lost any weight as of yet. I hope that comes soon. I do notice that I am more thirsty and not as hungry. I try to eat at least three times a day so that I don't "binge". I have noticed that I am more constipated than normal even with drinking more water. I hope to see weight loss soon. I have been "obese" for some time and very unhappy with myself. This puts a huge wedge into my married life. I also would love to loose weight to take the pressure off my knee, my back, and to reduce my asthma some. I hope this medicine is the key to a new life for me."

Missy38 May 5, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I started taking 50 mg of Topomax for the first month and went up to 100mg for the next three months. Lost 40 pounds.... For the next year and a half I have kept off the weight but have not lost any more. I still need to lose 30 more pounds, but have seemed to plateaued. And I am at 200 mg now... dont know what to do."

Lindzh90 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 29, 2015

"I actually requested to be put on topiramate to help lose weight knowing it was a side effect and to prevent my horrible migraines. I can say it has worked for both. I started out on 50mg a night on Dec.21, 2014 and at that time I weighed in at 227 lbs per Doc scales. At my last check up on March 31st I weighed 203. And my migraines were reduced greatly. The thing was my body was starting to get use to the medication so they did have to up the dosage to help my migraines; I'm now on 100mg a night. The side effects subsided after about two months of taking the medication (slightly tingling in the fingers and feet from time to time, little foggy/forgetful). I can not taste and have not had one carbonated beverage since the 21st of December."

myblueyes121 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2015

"If you cannot tolerate Topamax/Trokendi (topamirate), please consider Zonegran (zonisamide). It is in the same class of drug as topamax, and does many of the same things. Its labeled use is an anti-convulsant, but the psychiatric and pain management clinic I go to uses it off-label for a number of uses, such as: weight loss, mood stabilization, migraine prevention, mild pain reduction properties. I took Zonegran successfully at 200 mg for 5 years and DID NOT experience tingling, numbness, dry mouth or flat-tasting carbonated beverages. Memory/recall did degrade unacceptably for me above 200 mg, but therapeutic dose is considered 300 mg."

SamanthaLM (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I have struggled for years with what I thought was just a problem with controlling my hunger, I would never eat around anyone and then once everyone was asleep I was starved. I finally seen a psychiatrist for my ADD symptoms and while he was modifying my medication he diagnosed me with binge eating disorder. To my surprise he was right. I had no control. I had always bounced on diets. He started me on Topamax 25mg and I knew instantly it will work. It has a calming affect. I feel so full and I am going to bed without eating for the first time in years. I am very thankful. Not every medication is for everyone. I am pleased with this one so far."

momma3kitties (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2015

"I am a African American woman with my natural hair. I have not experience any hair loss. I have been on topiramate for 10 days. I am taking 50 mg 1 pill only at night and I have lost 8 pounds so far. My doctor recommend I take 1 pill for 2 weeks before moving to 2 pills a day. I will probably stick with the one pill because I am losing the weight. I do exercise 5 days a week also so this helps. This pill alone is not going to work you need to get moving just a little. Treadmill 20 minutes is all I do. You can do it!!!! Good luck..."

jackie french March 19, 2015

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "I am extremely obese. My starting weight when I started taking Topamax was 289.0 lbs. I weighed myself every few days. I started for one week taking 25 mg in the morning and 25 mg in the evening. Now I take 50mg in the morning and 50 in the evening. Im also eating right veggies and fruits and snacks. This medication is making me lose at least 13 lbs since Jan. 5, 15 and today I'm 276.0 and its Jan. 19, 2015. in that short amount of time that's a good amount of weight to drop. So thank you Topamax!"

Steph6981 (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2015

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "I was very excited when I started taking this medication. And then.... I had read the side effects and was like oh this is crazy. I will say I was on no other medication. I have never had hair loss like this. It was gobs of hair in my shower. The previous posters that refer to brain fog - yep that too."

NASHVEGAS (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2014

"I've been taking 25mg daily for the past 5 days and already lost 3.8kg or 8.3lbs. It's also been acting as a great mood stabiliser which is awesome because I have bipolar and Seroquel alone wasn't doing enough. Very happy with Topamax so far."

Mizzjad (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2014

195 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have ADD and with that I have no self control over food, I've battled weight my entire adult life. My psychiatrists prescribed me topiramate, it's been 5 days today and I'm down 8.5 pds. Side effects are I feel pretty weak doing everything, fatigue, I've been getting hot a lot and I work outside. I just hope and pray these issues go away because the topiramate really works great controlling the cravings. I'm never hungry I love it."

connieg89 October 22, 2014

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on topiramate for about 10 months now and have lost almost 60 lbs. I have had no real side affects except a very dry mouth if i don't drink enough during the day while I am am at work. My family Doctor has been monitoring my weight loss since day one. I also changed my cooking and eating habits and stopped drinking soft drinks and no longer crave sweets unless it is that time of the month. I have been overweight most of my life and I have tried for years to loose the weight by exercising and weight watchers but it wouldn't come off and stay off, and now it is!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 8, 2014

179 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "Awful. I lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks before I had to quit Topamax due to side effects, which were terrible. They included: memory loss and "senior moments" which increased 10-fold, I think this medicine dropped my IQ at least 15 points, that "I'm not part of this world" feeling of disconnectedness; and overheating to the point that I simply could not work out. Gained the 10 pounds back within 3 weeks of quitting."

Mike_West Coast August 31, 2014

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Topiramate 25mg for 1 week to be exact and have lost 8lbs as of this morning. I feel this has been my savior. I have always been healthy (no high blood pressure, no diabetes, no High Cholesterol) however I've always been obese and worked towards trying to rid myself of the weight in efforts to prevent myself from getting those diseases in the future. This has given me the kick start I need. It reduced my cravings for sweets and carbs as well as suppressed my appetite. I do eat 3 meals a day (or at least I try to when I can remember) but for the most part, I have the same amount of energy, I sleep AMAZINGLY, and haven't had any major side effects as others have mentioned. All good here!"

LovelyNi (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2014

337 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Before Topamax I used to suffer from chronic migraines I mean 3-4 migraines a week. Been on Topamax for nearly 3 weeks, day one 25mg instant appetite suppressant loss 18.7lbs in 2wks! Inches everywhere, food taste good just eat very little of i.t I'm never ever hungry but I enjoy cooking! I have energy, not bogged down with lots of medicines anymore and not one full migraine! I'm excited to lose weight it's actually very easy to eat healthy. Its all you crave and I was a sweet addict. No ugly side effects as described, not on this dosage. So I hope this has helped someone."

Migraine - Weight Loss a Plus! (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2014

357 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "I have been on Topamax for a little less than a month and already lost 16 pounds! My doctor gave it to me for the weight loss effects and I have had no adverse side effects that I know of so far. It rates a 10 in my book!"

Happy Camper (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2013

375 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Topamax for around two months. I decided to go on them because I weighed around 105 kgs, I was feeling depressed and I couldn't stop binge eating. Through Topamax, I have lost 10 kgs in one month (that would be around 22 pounds). I feel so much better. My urge to binge eat is gone. I feel human again. I don't feel any side effects. I sleep better than before, I drink more water than before (as much as I should drink, before I didn't drink at all and had problems with my kidneys). When I first started topiramate, I got double vision. I read that this was a common side effect and saw my eye doctor about it. She said that it was because my vision improved a great deal. So, thank you Topamax, My health greatly improved."

Farouchette (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2013

263 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "Losing 10lbs plus per month."

Tater young hgarytre (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2013

175 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "Topamax is amazing. I originally took it 6 years ago to prevent migraines and lost 80 lbs as a bonus. At that time my doctor and I speculated that it would some day be approved for weight loss because I was not his only patient to report changes in the taste of carbonated beverages and chocolate while taking the medication. I also noticed that I did not dream about food while taking the medication, but within 3 months of changing medications food reentered my dream content. I am now back on the medication to address chronic pain issues and have already found the same results in weight loss, taste changes, and dream content."

Anonymous February 24, 2012

275 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "I have been battling my weight since I was pregnant with my first son, who just turned 2. I was 165 when I got pregnant with him, and on the day I went in to have my second son (who is 5 months old today) I weighed 270. I just took my first 25 mg dose of Topamax last night. I am addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper and can't even stand the taste. Not hungry either, so I'm hopeful that this medicine will work. I also take Celexa and Tenuate. I don't know if it's the combination, or just the Topamax, but I am feeling kind of "floaty" today, in a sense. Maybe this will improve with time."

mommy_of_2 September 15, 2011

145 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "Definitely takes away my hunger."

Anonymous September 12, 2011

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "I'm a Male in my early 50's. I was struggling with weight loss. My doc put me on Topamax several years ago to curb my appetite and since then I've been able to loose 65lbs and keep it off."

BOB321 March 6, 2011

184 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Obesity