User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Topiramate Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of Obesity.

Reviews for Topiramate to treat Obesity

"I started taking Topmax 1st week 25 mg once a day 2nd week 50 once a day 3nd will be 100mg once a day I go back 1 month visit on 16th , I can tell I have lost weight but I have had mood swings, vision, fatigue sleep problems, Dr said first week maybe second week week after that I should be better, I also had injections in my back my L4 L5, also this medication has been confused is another side effect but I am going to hang in there I can tell I have lost weight, my face and neck fingers and ladies you know the other we never want to lose first place right below neck, so if your really want to loose weight give it a try"

Kohutek paula January 30, 2016

"I just was prescribed topomax for migraines today. I take 50mg at night for 2 weeks then 50mg in the morning and 50 mg at night for a total of 100 mg..I'm 5'3" and weigh 157 lbs and have gotten really out of shape since having 6 abdominal surgeries for hernia repairs...I've read a lot of the reviews on here and I hope I have good experience with loosing weight. I am curious about the tingling fingers, toes, lips and the "word vomit" that is another side effect do they go away eventually or is it something that stays the whole time"

chubbymomof2 January 28, 2016

"I was prescribed this medication about 2 years ago for my cyclic vomiting syndrome. This first I took it, I had a bad experience and had to stop but after a year my doctor suggested that we try again. It has been a full year now. Since then I didn't have any weight change however; in October - she added another management pill to my list in addition to the topiramate and I have lost almost 30 lbs. I started at 199 lbs and as of today, I am down to 175 lbs. I was a size 16 Jean and bought a size 10 Jean today. I have been very unhappy about my weight since my daughter was born but recently, I am finding myself quite happier. I am averaging 1-3 lbs weight loss every 2 weeks"

Amandaanne (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2016

"After 35 years of yo yo diets I have lost 95lbs in one year! I'm so excited about my new look and no more severe back pain, Sincerely Nurse Dee!"

Sonya Dee (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2016

Topamax (topiramate): "I have been obese my whole life. I have struggled with diets and exercise and eating and starving. I have gone as far as having weight loss surgery. EVERYTHING has only been temporary. My new doctor has recommended Topamax. I currently weigh 282.6. I have started out on 25 in the morning and 25 at night. In 1 month I will go in for my follow up. Has anyone else tried everything else and completely fail? My doctor says it could be my genetic makeup. But anyway I plan on keeping a record on here of my journey for myself and others to follow. Thank you for your support."

AmandaRaeKrause January 14, 2016

"I started taking topalex after stop taking lithium. I gained 45kg by the lithium and moodstabilisers in 2 years. So now I already have lost 13kg in less than 2 months and still dropping. I drink a lot of water and eat slowly now and a lot less"

celestdevilliers January 7, 2016

"I suffer from depression, bipolar, and anxiety and believe me it is a struggle. I always had a perfect 10 body weighing at 112 now 175 at 5'2 then I was put on Abilify to add to my other meds. My doctor weaned me off the abilify and put me on Topomax for mood swings and to loose weight. I am on 50mg at night. Within 2 weeks if I don't see a change she will bump my dosage up. I am praying that it works for me. The struggle is real and I feel for everybody going through this pain. I want to wish everyone good luck and a happy new year! I will keep you all posted"

Bellagemini December 31, 2015

"I've been on topimax for about 3 months. 25mg 2x a day. It's definitely effective in controlling my appetite. It took a little time by became more effective with time. I am able to eat very small portions and have full control over myself. I have changed to healthy eating. Less bread and pasta. More brown rice, veggies, sweet potatoes. I still fry veggies in olive oil. Still eat a baked potato sometimes. But cut way back on portions and added snacks between meals. Then every 3 days I be sure to eat something a little more fattening and it makes me lose weight. For salad dressing, oil and vinegar with seasoning packet. No sweet tea etc. Lots of water. I walk daily too! started weighing 267, now down to 225. I'm confident I'll lose 85 lbs"

robin777 December 22, 2015

"Update on my experience.....I have been on it now for 21 days and have lost 15 pounds. First weigh in at the doctors office. I feel great. No side effects. At first was seemed very tired, but now I seem adjusted to the medication. I take 75 mg at night before bed. Sleep better than I ever have. Appetite simply isn't there. Sodas don't taste the same; kind of like they have been sitting out for several days. I am remain very hopeful this will work for the long term. I have approximately 100 pounds to lose."

marcmiller3423 (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2015

"I am 56 years old and weighed 249 pounds. Finally decided to deal with this weight issue once and for all. My knees prevented me from working out and my weight caused my knee issue. I sat down with my primary care physician and she ultimately suggested the use of topamax. In July 2015 i started with 25 milligrams and evolved to 125 miligrams. It is now December 8 and I weigh 221 pounds. Here is how I would describe the experience. It stops the need to impulse eat, so you don't feel deprived, so...your not crying when the scale isn't moving quickly. Its not quick, because I am post menopausal...but its not painful. Appetite is down, I can now walk 45 minutes...and for the first time in my life..I know I will reach a goal weight."

JillV December 8, 2015

"I am stopping Topamax after 3 months. Initially I lost 13lb pretty fast, within a couple weeks. I was laid up with an injured back and sick so I wasn't moving, but then I wasn't really eating either. Since then I've played with the same 5ib. I am taking 100mg 2x day. After about 6wks I got some of the common side effects (vision, memory, taste, exhaustion), I stopped losing weight. But I'm fairly certain it is the source of some pretty severe depression that didn't exist prior to taking it. I'm glad I lost 13lb, but the depression is too much to handle and I'm throwing in the towel. Wish it had been more effective, but really it stopped working after about 3 weeks anyhow."

Heather W December 2, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "When I first started taking Topamax it was prescribed to me for the prevention of migraine headaches. A couple of years later I now take 200mg in the morning and 200mg at bedtime and since February I have lost 51 lbs... 282 down to 232 and still loosing more!!!!"

sfears1120 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "This was prescribed for binge eating as I have mood disorder and I need to lose weight. The binge eating was causing me to go over my calorie plan. I have taken it for over 6 months. I have worked up to 200 mg a day. Never had any side effects and no help with appetite either."

ChiWee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2015

"I just started 25 mg on 24th 3 days ago I knew something was strange on thanksgiving I didn't go back for seconds normally I go for 3rds. I had no idea the medicine was working that fast. Well today I really knew it was working I went into town about 1:00 and I hadn't eaten anything so I stopped and got a dollar burger and fries well it was all I could do to finish it. I have never not been able to finish anything seriously I love food. But recently my dr put me on this because I have some an eating disorder that has caused me to gain weight and I've never had a weight problem and it's really upsetting me. I was afraid to get my hopes up so when I got home I tried to eat something that I loved but didn't even want it at all! It's unreal!"

Banml (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2015

"I been on Topiramate 25mg once in the morning and once at night been taking it for four days now with no changes in appetite at all. I am at the same weight. I am taking it for the side effect to lose weight, but I do suffer from depression. I will update you all if any weight loss does occur. I will be going to see if my primary care doctor will prescribe me the new weight loss pill Qsymia next, because it has topiramate in it. I Just need a jump start to getting this weight off of me. I have been reading accounts where people have been losing off of 50mg of topiramate, but not for me hoping maybe in a week I may see results. I have a 30 day supply. Let's hope"

Queencess (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2015

"Was given this due to daily headaches. I'm not one to take pills so I started slow. One morning and one at night. Stayed like that for two weeks. I started exercising around that time also but only about 3times weekly and dieting pretty well but lost quite a bit of my appetite. I weighed myself and after two weeks I'm down 15 pounds. I ate allot of yogurt and drank allot of coffee and water. That's all. I can't believe it was from this pill. I'm More motivated then I ever was! Starting weight was 189. Now I'm down to 174"

lissalynnnn October 26, 2015

"I have been on the med for one full week. My doc prescribed me 50mg 2 x's daily. I immediately noticed a moderate fatigue. But it has been better toward the end of the week. My mind is a bit cloudy but it too is also a bit better by the end of the week. On the positive I have had no tingling in my fingers and toes like many reviews I have read. Carbonated drinks taste terrible. I was a Diet Pepsi ahololic , and should stop drinking it anyway. And without out any other dietary changes I went from 210 to 206 this week! So, now I am going to eat healthier this week and see what happens. Rating a 9 only because of the fatigue. Good luck in your journey!"

Lutherboymom October 25, 2015

"I have taken topiramate since June 23, 2015 for weight lose and to help with my type 2 diabetes, I have now lost 25 lbs as of Oct 15 I have also joined Weight Watchers in August because I found that the pills alone were not a miracle pill they do help with not having the carb cravings but you do need to eat well to lose weight. I currently take 50mg in the morning and 50mg at dinner time and do not see any side affects. At first I did have the tingling in the hands and feet but after a few weeks that went away. I plan on staying on it and staying with the weight watchers and hopefully making my goal weight for the first time I am 50 years old and have been overweight since age 20"

deeander October 18, 2015

"I was first prescribed topiramate for pain. My final dosage was 75 mg twice a day. At that dosage I started having memory loss and confusion. Now I am starting at 25 mg. twice a day and plan to keep it there for weight loss. I don't know if the loss is a side effect, but I find less is better for my age which is 65. I also take Percocet 5 mg for pain 3 times a day and wish to avoid interactions with my liver. I started back on this medication because I cannot move around as much anymore and almost any food I eat turns into weight gain. I plan to only maintain weight loss of 20 lbs from my current weight. Doesn't seem like much to many people but I have bones that improve with less fat on them. In the past I have weighed up to 240."

feyindie65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2015

"I figure I have lost about 15 -20 lbs per year for 100mg"

Jack-a-carver (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 10, 2015

"I have not lost any weight on this medication. It has been about six weeks. I started at 25mg and am now at 100mg. I am very discouraged. But at least I know now why my feet tingle. Does anyone else have leg pain?"

Soleilstacy October 9, 2015

"My VA Dr. prescribed Topiramate (Topamax) to me for my Migraines and not only has my appetite decreased, so has my Migraines and my weight. He also added Magnesium and the combination has been nothing short of amazing. Topamax has really been great and I've had no side effects at all, I take 1-50MG tab in the morning and 2 at night and I've been dropping weight, migraines gone and getting back to my old self."

Aaron R October 6, 2015

"March 2010-2014 Poor concentration & spelling, can't do math in head. Tingling feet, twitches in fingers and lips. In a daze like Ozzy Osborne. BUT Avg weight loss 2-3 lbs/week no lifestyle changes. Dr gave Adderall for concentration helped but needed Ambien to sleep. Was thinner than in highschool, got annoyed with relying on pills gained my 38lbs back & 25 more. I do recommend the medicine, make sure it doesn't effect your work life, and use vitamin B12 to get rid of the tingling I'm starting the meds again, the side effects are worth it to me! ;)"

ANurse'sView (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 1, 2015

"I been on this for med approximately half a month. I actually suffer from Bipolar and Depression also PTSD. Recently after I retired from fighting mixed martial arts and had knee surgery I was more depressed I gained weight. I am a big guy anyway. Normal for me is 6 ft 6 260 lbs. I got up to 340 and was like ok this is enough. I started my vegan diet I did back when I fought mma went to the doctor I was down 10 lbs. I needed new med so she put me on the topomax. From day 1 zero appetite none whatsoever. Like I have to make an effort to eat. When I do eat it is just cut up raw veggies in a bowl of vinegar that is it for the day. Now I am on top of my supplements so my body has what it needs. I'm shredding lbs like mad"

Bipolarmma77 September 28, 2015

"I have been on Topamax since May of 2015 and it is now September 26, 2015. I did take it for Migraines and boy did it do its job, I was having them every day and now I get them maybe once a month. I started at 25mg went up to 50 twice a day and in the beginning of September went to 100mg where I will stay at and stabilize. Weight loss! Well where do I begin! It has been amazing! I weighed in on May 15 at 167.5lbs, I am only 5' tall, no inches there lol, and I weighed in September 2nd at 141.8lbs. It is amazing to me that I have lost 26lbs without diet or exercise. I have always done yoga and meditation, but not the hardcore kind, the gentle kind. I really haven't changed a thing except for taking Topamax."

Les_Mills September 26, 2015