User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Topiramate review summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Bulimia.

Reviews for Topiramate to treat Bulimia

Review by Ms treatment resistant:

Topamax (topiramate): I was on Topamax 2x 50 mg worked perfect for 31 days, then the effect wore off, now I am on day 3, Dr. Increased dosage 100mg 2x per day, works perfect. I am cautious as I have been 6 months relapse free on 60 mg fluoxetine before the effects wore off. Will give an update. I have been on all other kinds of SSRIs or SNRIs, which had no effect. My history, I am 42 years old, I have treatment refractory Bulimia since 28 years, purging type. Start with AN with a simple diet, normal childhood, no trauma or abuse, two lengthy hospital stays in the 80s and 90s 5 years of CGJung psychoanalysis all to 0 avail. Learned a lot but have never been in recovery. I try anything to be better.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2014 11:42 PM

Review by mkelly33:

Topamax (topiramate): I had been bulimic, anorexic for 15 years. I tried in-patient/ out-patient programs in the best places in Toronto, Canada .. and I did each 3-4 times. When I started Topamax, I could attend lunches at work and can honestly say I haven't binged at work this year (I am a teacher). In previous years, I binged and purged, 3-4 times a day. I know socialize and have friends. I do admit though that the meds have made me very, very, tired. I sleep in until about 1 or 2 pm on the weekends which brothers me a lot but I think its a small price to pay for the huge changes I've made.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 14, 2014 10:45 PM

Review by a must have.:

Topamax (topiramate): It helps. For me it wasn't so much the appetite suppression that worked, but the way it makes me more conscious of the situation before I binge. Its makes me stop in the middle of the binge or just before completely, and ask myself whats up with the need to hit the self destruct button. In case that I do binge on Topamax, my binges consists of less food when. And I eat slower, defeated by the situation.

March 27, 2014 7:59 PM

Review by kaycp:

Topamax (topiramate): I've tried Prozac and Effexor. I'm back on Topamax because it seems to be the only medicine that works for me. I never thought my bulimia would get this far, I'm 22 and I've been bulimic since I was 14. I'm done university, and it's been the hardest thing I've had to go through. I've had trouble finding a job and leading my life in the right direction...I wish this medication was sought out more for bulimia.

November 26, 2013 11:55 PM

Topamax (topiramate): I think this medication is very helpful it prevents the binges which then prevents the other behaviors. Side effects rough at first.

June 26, 2010 5:17 AM

Review by doyourresearch:

As I type this it is hard to relay it understandably because of the Topamax. I researched Topamax and heard it suppressed eating and stabilized mood which I figured would helped my bulimia, which I have been getting help for and am in recovery for. The Topamax definitely suppresses the desire to eat and have cravings which is great. You do lose weight. However, it created other problems. I didn't realize it but I was increasingly having a harder time talking to people. I can't do homework, write papers, and my relationship with my boyfriend- we ended breaking up. My hair falls out. I had bad anxiety, I thought I was going insane. I then researched side effects of Topamax and now realized this is what I am experiencing. I'm getting off.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2009 7:09 PM

Topamax (topiramate): I have been suffering with bulimia for five years. I am 22 years old and a college student and I will take the memory loss, there is always spell check. I cannot describe the pain I go through, the guilt, the shame, and I never ever really thought it would get to this point, five years. I know someone's mom who is dying that has has several organ transplants and has been bulimic for over 30 years. I don't want that to be me. I can't stop. I never wanted it to get this far. With Topamax I am gaining weight. It works, it's like instant gratification.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate