User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Topiramate Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 49 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Topiramate to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I was afraid to take this medication I went online and looked it up and read so many bad things about it hair loss memory loss etc ... I am so glad I went ahead and gave it a try for myself I think it's a miracle drug ! It's helped stabilize my mood, taken away my migraines and even helped me lose a few pounds !!! I haven't had any negative side effects at all from it ! I know it's effects everyone differently and for me personally it's been great I love it!"

JessY b August 20, 2015

"Be very careful with the dosing, less is more. Start slow, for me, I'm Bipolar 1 & 50 mg brought clarity but 100 mg. made word finding difficult."

Bipolar Bob (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I had extreme vision changes, loss of memory, extreme depression with long crying spells, anger, and suicidal thoughts. I have tried it at 3 different points in my life and have had the same experience each time...NOT GOOD. I tried the medication 3 times because the doctor and I thought that perhaps the side effects were from a mix of other medications I took with the pill. I did have weight loss but it was not worth it at all. I could barely drive and soft drinks (although not really important) tasted amazingly disgusting. I had no warning about all of the things I might experience and it was horrible trying to teach middle school, raise two young children, do daily tasks, and drive. I've had friends get divorced due to side effects."

Been there and done that (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I was diagnosed with bipolar depression about a year ago. I have been on topamax for that as well as migraine headaches for 8 to 9ish months now. The migraines went away, and I have lost about 40 pounds since taking Topamax! The only downfall is hair loss. I highly warn anybody taking this drug not to miss a dose or try weaning yourself off, because I have done both and ended up with very bad mood swings and will be crying on the floor one minute, then raging and angry, then it will be as if nothing happened."

Karley (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "Miracle drug for me! I seem to have a bad reaction to every drug that is specifically for Bi-Polar! No, I'm not as creative as I was, but it's between being so high and then crashing so far down or a good steady me! I'll take this compared to a hospital any day."

Cradazd (taken for 10 years or more) June 6, 2015

"I have been taking Topiramate for about 3 years for depression along with Viibryd. I did lose 30 pounds and do have some memory problems. But what I have discovered is, my hair has been thinning out. My hairdresser told me that she has been noticing the last 6 months that my hair is a lot thinner and has been wanting to tell me. This prompt to go on line to see if my medicine was the caused of this. The 1st few comments I started reading were people saying their hair thinning out. So I am going to assume this medication is culprit of my hair thinning. What do you think?"

Reze May 23, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I was diagnosed bipolar 2 about 3 years ago. I am a 36 yr old female. I was originally given topamax 50mgs at night with seroquel 50mgs, as well as a variety of antidepressants and klonopin for anxiety. That worked great for awhile until it didn't and I weened myself off everything. DON'T DO THAT!! I had a horrible hypomanic episode followed by a 4 month depressive crash. I'm now on Latuda, Celexa, Klonopin, and my good buddy Topamax. I have had no serious side effects from Topamax. A little hair loss (more like extra hair in the brush) but it's only noticeable to me. Not bad. No word loss, no memory problems. I'm in grad school with a near 4.0 GPA. It helps me maintain my weight so the other meds don't affect me."

Penny__B May 16, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I am bipolar I and went on topomax as an alternative to the awful weight gaining meds I have been subjected to in past. My anxiety went through the roof! I was crying constantly, my heart was pounding and I became fearful to leave the house. I love the 10 pd weight loss but not worth the anxiety and hair loss...sad I wanted it to work"

angelash65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I can only describe my experience as horrendous. I was given topi max to balance out the severe anxiety and restlessness and insomnia I had on abilify. It had the opposite effect, after about three weeks taking it I developed severe fatigue, inability to swallow properly, paranoia and the anxiety and restlessness went through the roof, I have never been so close to ending it all to get out of the hell that had become my head. I stopped taking both abilify and topomax and resumed on my original aerogel. Within 24 hours all the symptoms of anxiety and suicidality had gone. A trully terrifying experience that nearly saw my children without a mother"

Lookingonthebrightside May 1, 2015

"This pretty much saved my life. I've been on EVERYTHING (or so it seems) for major depressive disorder and when I was about 32 something wasn't adding up and I was diagnosed BP2. I tried Lamictal and I couldn't handle the headaches. The other BP medications all seem to cause weight gain so I'd stop taking them. I got a new doctor who said if I tried lithium she would give me a little Topiramate to help offset the hunger the lithium caused. Well, the topiramate seemed to help the BP2. So I've slowly worked up to 150/day topiramate along with wellbutrin and Lexapro. It's a GODSEND. Side effects: when titrating up at any point, tingly fingers or feet for a week but then goes away. Take at night because can make you sleepy. Hope FDA approves!"

Some Ups Big Downs (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I've been on Topamax before and it worked and went off I don't know why. I recently went back on it and it has made a world of difference. It's like night and day. I take it with Abilify and Xanax because I have really bad anxiety also. I am 24 and was so depressed I wasn't leaving my apartment but now I feel like a new person like I want to go out and do things again. I'm not held back. I like that this medicine doesn't make me gain weight too because I've had that problem in the past, I lost 10 pound since I went back on it 4 weeks ago. The only thing I will say that is not great is it slows down my thought process sometimes and it gives me tingles in my hands and face but not all the time. The benefits outweigh those side effects greatly."

Ldonut November 7, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "Taking Topamax with Zoloft ... my first week was a tough but I feel so good. I have PTS, bipolar, depression, anxiety and in the 4 months I had three episodes and that's so good I was having episodes everyday. I feel good."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2014

Topamax (topiramate): "I have been taking Topamax for mood disorder for the past six months along with my antidepressant and anxiety meds and I thinks it's GREAT! It's improved my mood so much with no side effect. I recommend it to anyone."

Steph B (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2014

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "I've been on every medicine. I've had electroshock therapy. Medications don't really work for me very well. I'm only taking Lithium ER 450 mg right now cos my body can't handle more of it. I was taking Topamax for headaches, I thought, but my psychiatrist said it might help my mood. Been taking it for years. I didn't know that it did work for me until I stopped using it. I broke into a manic episode because I started taking that Garcinia weight loss thing, and I wasn't on the Topamax. Well, I guess Topamax DOES work. "

manc_lover (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2014

"I switched from generic topiramate 50mg. TID (three times a day) to brand Trokendi XR 200mg (once daily) because I and my psychiatrist believed plasma levels would remain comparable to TID dosing due to Microtrol technology. My PDOC decided that a 50mg increase was fine. It sure was! I am indicated for topiramate for the following reasons: A. Bipolar Disorder; topiramate acts as a mood stabilizer. B. Drug Cravings; topiramate reduces my urge to use drugs, studies are directed at its propensity to reduce alcohol and stimulant cravings C. Anxiety: topiramate is a GABA agonist and slightly anxiolytic D. Weight loss Trokendi XR is far superior and smoother than generic topiramate when it comes to amelioration of symptoms. 10/10."

Louisiana Sportsman July 4, 2014

"I'm going into my third week on Topamax. For the twelve years previous to this medication, I was treated vigorously for clinical depression. (Clearly, to no avail.) My 'mood spikes' as my husband and I lovingly call them are already beginning to subside. My toes, fingers and nose do tingle, and now that my dose is doubled (third week, time to titrate up), I'm definitely losing my appetite. (I have a few pounds to spare, so I'm not mad about it!) I hope to update this page again in a month or so to let you know how the medication is going then. After being on every anti-depressant the market has ever seen, it's a God-send to have FINALLY been pointed in the right direction. (I'm 30 years old, married with a 2 year old)."

T"CrazyOrNot"InMA (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2014

Topamax (topiramate): "Was put on Topamax for migraines a year and a half ago, I have had maybe one or two headaches since being on this medicine compared to the weekly migraines I was having before the Topamax AND I am down 80 pounds. I only take 100mg a day. I was just diagnosed with bipolar 1 and after reading this forum I am going to talk to my doctor and see if upping my dose will help with that since I've seen that it is helping all of you. I am feeling quite confident that this could be my medicine of choice for multiple ailments. Good luck to all in your search."

Bridget Wolfe (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 16, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "I tried EVERY medication out there, I swear. It has always ended badly, bad side effects, bad combinations, etc. And because of that I have been more against taking meds. Once we finally figured out that depression wasn't my problem, and I was diagnosed with a mood disorder (unofficially Bipolar II since I'm still not 18), I'm finally on 75mg of Topamax, 20mg of Prozac, and then I take Adderall XR 30mg and Adderall normal 10mg and this combination has had any positive effect, without any negative side effects. I do think I have suffered from the side effect of memory loss and slow thinking, not enough to make me stop taking it though. It has helped me so much and I recommend to anyone who is having trouble finding medicines that work for them."

Zoe014 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2014

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "I have felt great. No weight loss yet but I feel very good. I am taking it with sertraline. And so far it is the right medicine for me. "

great days ahead (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2014

Topamax (topiramate): "I have been taking it for mood and it works wonders! Mood is stable with only one side affect."

GeddysFaveHeadache (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2014

"I have been on this since June of 2012. I love the balance. No side effects for Bipolar Disorder. No up and down. No weight gain. No tossing and turning. Helps with sleeping all night. ."

Mz. CB (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 16, 2013

Topamax (topiramate): "I only took this drug for 3 days before ending up in the psych unit from a psychotic episode. I had never had one before, mind you. My Dr. warned me, also, when he gave me the Rx, to watch for symptoms of such an episode. He did not go on to tell me specifically what those symptoms would be like and I had no idea what this could entail. He said the drug had/has been known to cause these episodes. Just telling me to watch for symptoms though...by the time I starting having the symptoms, I was too paranoid to be able to do anything about it or even realize what was happening since I had never had such an episode. It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced in my life and I still have nightmares and anxiety about the things experienced in my head and thoughts during the time of the episode that lasted for 2 weeks, even while in the hospital. I would love to sue the pants off the makers and that doctor, who, by the way, when my mother called my doctor for help, he stated "Since she won't talk to me, I am not her doctor anymore as of this moment." I wouldn't get on the phone because I was in the middle of a psychotic episode and thought everyone was trying to kill me. Great doctor, huh?! DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Anonymous November 10, 2013

Topamax (topiramate): "I have had a good experience after trying to find the right cocktail for several years. I have a very high-stress job and my anxiety is put to the test daily. It is not clinically significant at this point and I can only attribute that to finally having my medicines right. I am taking Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Topamax and Zoloft at pretty low dosages for each. I did lose about 70 pounds. After over a year on the Topamax, my normal appetite has started to return and I have gained back about 10 pounds, but I still have self control that I lacked when I was fighting depression which is now at bay."

adoptionsworker March 27, 2013

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "Stabilizing when used with Lamictal and Lexapro."

KimberBR February 10, 2013

Topamax (topiramate): "Over the edge..best thing ever!"

chaotic-life (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2013