User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Topiramate Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 86 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Topiramate to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I started noticing the weight loss end of January. I weighed at 235 and was down to 220 in a month without trying to diet! Or excise. I was taking 100mg then up to 200, and now 300. I weigh 209 to this date. 26 pounds in 56 days. my mind is foggy, I feel like a zombie, some days I can clean for 5 hours, I have migraines when I've never had them before in my life, my knees are in pain, throat hurts, numb feeling over all my body. Doctors screw you over so be careful. I'm on a vegan diet for the past 5 days will update after another few months to see more of the symptoms and weightloss :)"

YoursT (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2016

"I am triating up to a dose of 300mg for PTSD. I've had no fuzziness or other issues, I'm sharp as ever and I've lost about 15 lbs so far, I was a muscular 140 lbs at 5'1", about a size 8 and now I'm about 126, still losing and down to a 6. I'm about to make the step up to 200mg. I went up in weekly steps of 25mg. My doctor told me this was best and that there is a serious skin condition and an eye disease that can result from jumping up to a high dose too quickly, so I suggest asking your doctors about a slow triation to achieve maximum benefit and avoid fogginess."

Andrea9797 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2016

"I was put on it plus Wellbutrin to stabilize my mood. For 3 months I was extremely nauseous, unable to eat a thing. I lost - 12kg's. The side effects were tingling in my hands and feet, a feeling that my head was being pulled to one side, metallic taste, extreme brain fog, loss of vocab (I sounded like an idiot, I could hardly string a sentence together), attention span diminished and extreme muscle weakness. I became socially anxious/awkward and still am. I developed a strange curry-like smell to me. I stopped when I fell pregnant and put on 24kg's, still holding on to 9kg's. It seems to have ruined my metabolism. I loved the appetite suppression (why I stayed on it) but won't go back on it, the side effects are too severe. And expensive"

BeanieMommy123 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2015

"It helps a lot"

roes (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2015

"I took this drug for two reasons. First to stop drinking so much and secondly to iron out my highs and lows. Let me say it worked wonders on both fronts. But getting to the sweet spot on the dosage is tough. On the way to the 150 mg daily dose which seemed to even me out and make me act right, it was super tough. I was more low. Suicidal even and I could give a damn about anything. But I know once I got to 150 mg. I'd stick to my plan of not drinking and be much more motivated and optimistic. It's nothing short of miraculous. The sad state of affairs is about a year and half in I developed some liver issue. Was it this drug? Was it something else? Who knows, but I had to go off. Ode to how much life sucks without this chemical optimism!"

Thankful for the reprieve November 27, 2015

"I have been on this med for 10 or more yrs.For my BPD, I also suffer with clinical chronic depression ocd suicidial tendancies major mood disorders and anything else they can thro at me! I had a sever break down 15 yrs ago and I believe something in my brain actually disconnected or fizzeled out! unrecoverable! i have tryied many meds for many symtoms. I have been on Toparimate for atleast 10 yrs i have not had weightloss from it, i was put on it for my borderline to controll my rage. I take Many different meds I beleive they are all fighting one another! Toparimate has effected my vision, motor skills, slowed down my thought process! blurred my desicion making and my ability to recognize reality from my on disorted thoughts!"

ravenswait November 6, 2015

"I took this medication for about 2 weeks hoping it would help my hypo mania . Some members of my family said it helped them. NOPE! Complete DISASTER for me. I could not stay on this thing for a month! The loss of appetite really sucked but I expected that I thought maybe I could look past that. But l went from 120 to 117 in 5 days. It did not help my mood it only made me dizzy and gave me uncontrollable jerky movements. I was forgetting words. I could not concentrate in school (senior in high school) Everything felt like a dream. I basically became really stupid. I was seeing flashing lights. It was bad. Once I got off of it everything I felt much smarter and better. I had many adverse effects to this medication."

Kayla1245r October 13, 2015

"I am bipolar ii with anxiety and depression but was put on topomax because I suffer from migraines. The first time was before I was diagnosed and I got severely depressed and had a suicide attempt. Within a week of getting taken off of it I was better. The second time I was put on it was after I was diagnosed and put on mood stabilizers and my doctor wanted to try it again because he thought my depression may have been from my bpd not the meds and it really did help my migraines. Same exact thing happened. Within a few weeks of being on it my mild bipolar disorder was uncontrollable. I wish I could be on it because it really helped my head and counteracted weight gain from my other meds but my body just cannot handle it."

Ellamarie (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 30, 2015

"I love the weight loss attribute to this drug. When at a dosage of 50 or 75 mg per day, I have felt happier. One day, I doubled the 50 mg dosage in the late afternoon. Note: This doubled dosage was done 4 MONTHS after initially being prescribed the medicine. 100 mg of generic Topiramate made me feel wired. An hour later, I could be found with a full cart at the grocery store.The manic in me had returned. This was not a coincidence. I took the dosage at 75 mg the following day out of curiosity.. The compulsive cleaner had returned. My b/f at the time watched me scrub away at an already squeaky clean countertop. This medicine eventually will also begin to make you stutter. You can fix this predicament by reading more. All in all, B rating"

Blonde and Dedicated (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 23, 2015

"Put simply, this stuff saved my life. I've been on nine meds to treat my suicidality associated with my ultra-ultra rapid cycling bipolar ii. the AAPS gave me tremors, seroquel made me a zombie, lithium made me suicidal, lamictal and saphris aggrivated my bulimia. My doc didn't want to use antidepressants for fear of driving me into mania. We thought we were out of options. I stumbled on topamax while looking at an NIH research study. I suggested it to my doc. he said, why the hell not? In three days my suicidality was gone, and I barely cycle at all any more. THIS IS A MIRACLE DRUG."

l8rsbby (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2015

"I'm ultra-ultra rapid cycling bipolar II and bul. been thru 6 mood stabilizers / APs / AAPs. My experience on those was disastrous.Lithium made me more suicidal, lamictal made me binge, destroyed my memory, didn't help my mood, seroquel put 20 #s on me and made me a zombie, didn't help my mood, latuda and abilify made me shake. I was terrified of weight gain on depakote/valproate/risperdal. I was at my wit's end, suicidal, and terrified that I wasn't going to live to my 33rd birthday, then I found NIH considers Topamax to be a mood stabilizer so I asked my pdoc about it. Within a week at 50 mgs I had a full day where I didn't cycle at all. I woke up feeling okay and stayed that way all day. I didn't cycle at all. Things are looking good!"

l8rsbby (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2015

"I was afraid to take this medication I went online and looked it up and read so many bad things about it hair loss memory loss etc ... I am so glad I went ahead and gave it a try for myself I think it's a miracle drug ! It's helped stabilize my mood, taken away my migraines and even helped me lose a few pounds !!! I haven't had any negative side effects at all from it ! I know it's effects everyone differently and for me personally it's been great I love it!"

JessY b August 20, 2015

"Be very careful with the dosing, less is more. Start slow, for me, I'm Bipolar 1 & 50 mg brought clarity but 100 mg. made word finding difficult."

Bipolar Bob (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I had extreme vision changes, loss of memory, extreme depression with long crying spells, anger, and suicidal thoughts. I have tried it at 3 different points in my life and have had the same experience each time...NOT GOOD. I tried the medication 3 times because the doctor and I thought that perhaps the side effects were from a mix of other medications I took with the pill. I did have weight loss but it was not worth it at all. I could barely drive and soft drinks (although not really important) tasted amazingly disgusting. I had no warning about all of the things I might experience and it was horrible trying to teach middle school, raise two young children, do daily tasks, and drive. I've had friends get divorced due to side effects."

Been there and done that (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I was diagnosed with bipolar depression about a year ago. I have been on topamax for that as well as migraine headaches for 8 to 9ish months now. The migraines went away, and I have lost about 40 pounds since taking Topamax! The only downfall is hair loss. I highly warn anybody taking this drug not to miss a dose or try weaning yourself off, because I have done both and ended up with very bad mood swings and will be crying on the floor one minute, then raging and angry, then it will be as if nothing happened."

Karley (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "Miracle drug for me! I seem to have a bad reaction to every drug that is specifically for Bi-Polar! No, I'm not as creative as I was, but it's between being so high and then crashing so far down or a good steady me! I'll take this compared to a hospital any day."

Cradazd (taken for 10 years or more) June 6, 2015

"I have been taking Topiramate for about 3 years for depression along with Viibryd. I did lose 30 pounds and do have some memory problems. But what I have discovered is, my hair has been thinning out. My hairdresser told me that she has been noticing the last 6 months that my hair is a lot thinner and has been wanting to tell me. This prompt to go on line to see if my medicine was the caused of this. The 1st few comments I started reading were people saying their hair thinning out. So I am going to assume this medication is culprit of my hair thinning. What do you think?"

Reze May 23, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I was diagnosed bipolar 2 about 3 years ago. I am a 36 yr old female. I was originally given topamax 50mgs at night with seroquel 50mgs, as well as a variety of antidepressants and klonopin for anxiety. That worked great for awhile until it didn't and I weened myself off everything. DON'T DO THAT!! I had a horrible hypomanic episode followed by a 4 month depressive crash. I'm now on Latuda, Celexa, Klonopin, and my good buddy Topamax. I have had no serious side effects from Topamax. A little hair loss (more like extra hair in the brush) but it's only noticeable to me. Not bad. No word loss, no memory problems. I'm in grad school with a near 4.0 GPA. It helps me maintain my weight so the other meds don't affect me."

Penny__B May 16, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I am bipolar I and went on topomax as an alternative to the awful weight gaining meds I have been subjected to in past. My anxiety went through the roof! I was crying constantly, my heart was pounding and I became fearful to leave the house. I love the 10 pd weight loss but not worth the anxiety and hair loss...sad I wanted it to work"

angelash65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I can only describe my experience as horrendous. I was given topi max to balance out the severe anxiety and restlessness and insomnia I had on abilify. It had the opposite effect, after about three weeks taking it I developed severe fatigue, inability to swallow properly, paranoia and the anxiety and restlessness went through the roof, I have never been so close to ending it all to get out of the hell that had become my head. I stopped taking both abilify and topomax and resumed on my original aerogel. Within 24 hours all the symptoms of anxiety and suicidality had gone. A trully terrifying experience that nearly saw my children without a mother"

Lookingonthebrightside May 1, 2015

"This pretty much saved my life. I've been on EVERYTHING (or so it seems) for major depressive disorder and when I was about 32 something wasn't adding up and I was diagnosed BP2. I tried Lamictal and I couldn't handle the headaches. The other BP medications all seem to cause weight gain so I'd stop taking them. I got a new doctor who said if I tried lithium she would give me a little Topiramate to help offset the hunger the lithium caused. Well, the topiramate seemed to help the BP2. So I've slowly worked up to 150/day topiramate along with wellbutrin and Lexapro. It's a GODSEND. Side effects: when titrating up at any point, tingly fingers or feet for a week but then goes away. Take at night because can make you sleepy. Hope FDA approves!"

Some Ups Big Downs (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I've been on Topamax before and it worked and went off I don't know why. I recently went back on it and it has made a world of difference. It's like night and day. I take it with Abilify and Xanax because I have really bad anxiety also. I am 24 and was so depressed I wasn't leaving my apartment but now I feel like a new person like I want to go out and do things again. I'm not held back. I like that this medicine doesn't make me gain weight too because I've had that problem in the past, I lost 10 pound since I went back on it 4 weeks ago. The only thing I will say that is not great is it slows down my thought process sometimes and it gives me tingles in my hands and face but not all the time. The benefits outweigh those side effects greatly."

Ldonut November 7, 2014

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "Taking Topamax with Zoloft ... my first week was a tough but I feel so good. I have PTS, bipolar, depression, anxiety and in the 4 months I had three episodes and that's so good I was having episodes everyday. I feel good."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2014

Topamax (topiramate): "I have been taking Topamax for mood disorder for the past six months along with my antidepressant and anxiety meds and I thinks it's GREAT! It's improved my mood so much with no side effect. I recommend it to anyone."

Steph B (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2014

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "I've been on every medicine. I've had electroshock therapy. Medications don't really work for me very well. I'm only taking Lithium ER 450 mg right now cos my body can't handle more of it. I was taking Topamax for headaches, I thought, but my psychiatrist said it might help my mood. Been taking it for years. I didn't know that it did work for me until I stopped using it. I broke into a manic episode because I started taking that Garcinia weight loss thing, and I wasn't on the Topamax. Well, I guess Topamax DOES work. "

manc_lover (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2014