User Reviews for Armour Thyroid

Learn more about Armour Thyroid.

Armour Thyroid review summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 39 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Armour Thyroid to treat Underactive Thyroid

Review by T4/T3 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Armour reduced water retention and joint/tendon fatigue. However, it made me ravenous and raised my free T3 to uncomfortable levels. I also couldn't exercise. Back to Synthroid in the morning and 15 mg Armour in the afternoon... Better.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 19, 2014 12:04 AM
Review by lrward: User Rating:

I have been on Armour since October '13. I was diagnosed hypothyroid. I have steadily gained weight ever since I started. 20lbs. It has not helped with my cold hands or feet, dry skin, or fatigue. My hair has stopped falling out so bad but that is about the only thing good I can say about this. Also, Im not sure if its related but I've had serious worsening of lower back pain since starting this.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 7, 2014 9:30 AM
Review by alarones (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

It took years before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and placed on Synthroid, I started to feel better but many major issues remained. I got more energy back, but never lost weight. My memory got better, but I wasn't clear-headed. I continued to feel major anxiety and had emotional ups and downs. When I found a doctor who suggested I try Armour, within 2 weeks of taking it my life seemed to return. I am a strong supporter of Armour.

February 8, 2014 12:58 PM
Review by NYAL: User Rating:

I had been experiencing undiagnosed hypothyroidism symptoms for long time without really knowing what was going on: extreme fatigue, brain fogginess,mood swings, cold. I had been having my thyroid tested for years due to my mother having had a tumor and removal of hers and yet the dr's all kept telling me the levels were fine. I went to an Integrative Dr and he prescribed for me. I've gradually worked up to taking 45 mg a day. 60mg was too much, headache, very painful and hardened breasts, really bad PMS type symptoms and the bloating! My biggest issue is also the puffiness and inability to lose weight! Protein shakes, cardio exercise and strength training and nothing helps. It's so frustrating!

February 3, 2014 10:51 AM
Review by MalibuMary: User Rating:

When my hypothyroidism went low enough to treat 15 years ago, I was given Levoxyl, adjusted up to 150 mcg. Fibromyalgia of 23 years worsened. In last 4 years, I developed severe fatigue crashes, heat and exercise intolerance, anxiety, depression, water retention, leg and back muscle weakness/wasting/pain. Tests normal. I exhausted best rheumatologist and neurologist in town, two normal muscle biopsies. Thyroid levels top of normal. Doctors kept me there, prescribing prednisone and five other medicines for fatigue and pain. Sudden breathing problems occurred. Hyperthyroidism exhausted my adrenals. New doctor put me on Armour, lower at 75 mg two weeks ago. I feel fantastic - more strength, less pain/weakness!

January 26, 2014 11:31 PM
Review by alarones (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I tried several synthetic medicines for hypothyroid to no avail, then a doctor recommended Armour. It has proved to be the best thing - getting me close to my 'normal' self with little to no side effects.

December 27, 2013 1:22 PM
Review by klenk: User Rating:

I have been on Armour for 4 days and I have already noticed a difference. I could actually take off my wedding ring. I sleep really well for about 7 hours. Not waking up constantly. My swelling has gone down significantly. My joints do not ache. Not getting as winded. I am taking 60mg. I have noticed that I am really tired at night. I like the suggestion of taking it at night as well. I'll have to check with my doctor and get his opinion.

December 19, 2013 2:15 PM
Review by donatos: User Rating:

Diagnosed with hypothyroidism over ten years ago with body aches, insomnia, brain fog, weight gain, etc. On Armour all my symptoms went away except for weight gain despite heavy exercise and dieting. I keep up my regimen but I'm desperate to lose the weight. I don't understand why the Armour has helped everything but the weight gain.

October 14, 2013 12:19 AM
Review by QuickSilver (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I started with 60 MG of Armour thyroid as well and my doctor increased to 90 MG after the results of my second blood work. I knew he would do this because it makes sense.

September 25, 2013 9:14 AM
Review by QuickSilver: User Rating:

I first took Armour Thyroid on August 9th, after my doctor said my thyroid was sluggish. I experienced a rash and itchy skin after four days. That is a normal side effect that was rectified by taking half a pill for 7 days then resuming whole pills. The rash and itchiness ended once my body was introduced to taking half a pill. It was an allergic reaction. I have already lost 6 pounds in one month. I expect to lose more and continue to experience good things from here on out with Armour Thyroid. I like that it's bioidentical and is absorbed into our system faster and better than synthetic. That is according to research.

September 23, 2013 11:33 AM
Review by melissa1972:

I have had every symptom of hypothyroidism except constipation. I tried Levothyroxine for a month and nothing. I've been taking Armour for 6 weeks and I feel better but I haven't lost any weight despite totally changing my diet and exercising with cardio and strength training for at least 5 days a week. This has never been typical for me. I have been taking 60 mg of Armour Thyroid. My doctor hasn't increased this dosage fearing it will cause hypo but I cannot lose any weight and I've never been in this situation.

September 19, 2013 12:01 AM
Review by Debbelite: User Rating:

Diagnosed with mild hypothyroid a month ago. Started feeling great, but also started getting a rash all over my upper thigh, it isn't itchy or red. It's just raised like poisin oak rash. Waiting to see if it is truly the Armour causing the rash. I haven't seen many people with this side effect. I would hate to stop it (30 mg).

September 5, 2013 4:41 PM

I have been taking Armour for 1 1/2 years, lost 13 pounds, I do not need to lose weight, I feel too thin now. My joints ache, one knee has swollen, feeling tired. I also noticed that having a one beer or cocktail leaves me very ill the next day. T3 level is low so my doctor said to try two 60 mg a day (one morning/night).

July 20, 2013 3:23 PM
Review by Cher:: User Rating:

When I was Diagnosed With thyroid problems around nine years ago. My TSH was a 6.7. I was placed on Synthriod. I developed terrible headaches right from the start. The Dr. decided to switch over to Levoxyl brand. Let me tell you it has been a whirl wind of problems from tiredness, to aches and pains coming out of nowhere. I gain 50lbs in the last nine years. Constantly dieting, the gym, nothing worked. Swelling and cloudy thinking. The Dr. said my TSH was normal. Okay, just started on Armour Thyroid 60mg. Unbelievable. My aches and pains are gone. Lost five pounds in these last two weeks. Swelling is gone and I am alert! Do your homework and take charge. I finally did! " Armour changed my life".

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 9, 2013 12:44 PM
Review by ravengrrl (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

I have been on dessicated Thyroid since I was diagnosed in 1999, recommended by my naturopath as superior to synthetic. My problem has been that most doctors dose based on TSH which doesn't necessarily equate to thyroid function. I was losing energy in the evening, falling asleep after meals and having a hard time losing some weight (not normal for me). I found a practitioner to monitor dosing to my symptoms and I am much better. I take 60mg in the morning and another 60mg in the afternoon and I have lots of energy and sleep when I want to. I'm still taking less than many who regularly take thyroid meds, but I feel great.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 3, 2013 7:18 PM
Review by J9M (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I was first prescribed Synthroid...Whilst my TSH levels came down to 1,9 I still had side effects, like I was permanently cold...and fatigued, as well as gained 30 pounds...I changed to Armour, and my feelings of intense cold subsided, my fatigue eased ff...and my weight is slowly coming down...My TSH level is down to 0.42!

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 18, 2013 10:52 PM
Review by Tina822 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I like this one as it is the most natural thyroid medication. I am constantly losing my hair but that is caused by hypothyroidism as well.

October 9, 2012 6:59 AM
Review by mika23 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I am on 60mg of Armour. I was on Cytomel and felt better. My numbers got worse so my doctor switched me to Armour. It's okay, but I still can't lose those 10 lbs. that I want to and I've never had a hard time losing weight. I get really tired at night too. I like the idea of Armour since it's been around for so long, but I just wish I could lose this weight and have a little more energy at night.

June 29, 2012 4:44 PM
Review by T.T.: User Rating:

I was on Synthroid for 5 yrs, when I went from 75mcgs to 125mcg I realized that the allergies were from my medicine. Swelling of the throat, losing my voice, weight gain, etc. Now because of 2 weeks on Armour I am. I am so optimistic and I feel 20 yrs younger.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 8, 2012 12:06 PM

Made me sick. Took myself off it after two weeks.

January 25, 2012 9:57 AM
Review by camparitonic: User Rating:

I have been taking Armour Thryroid 60 mg/day for about 9 months and some of my symptoms of Hypothyroidism improved, however my (Jan 2012) lab tests suggested I was still low. My doctor doubled the dose to 120 mg/day. In the past, I occasionally noticed some small pimples in the area of my lower lip and chin but after two weeks on the higher dose, I started "blooming" all over my face and neck. I looked like I was suffering from a case of measles or severe acne. My doctor advised me to immediately stop the Armour. I have read a number if reports of people experiencing the same or similar allergic reaction to the changed Armour formula.

January 14, 2012 12:43 PM
Review by AZGIRL, 25: User Rating:

I've been on Armour for over 3 months now, and my TSH and T4 levels are only getting worse. I go to the Doctor every 3 weeks to have my blood drawn and there has been no improvement! Every time I go to the Doctor they keep having to up the dosage 30mg, and each increase I feel worse and worse. My hair has fallen out, I feel lethargic and achy all over, I can't sleep at night and when I finally do get to sleep I wind up staying in bed for 13 hours! I have no energy.

August 20, 2011 4:36 PM
Review by Miss lily: User Rating:

Over 13 years was on different synthetic thyroid medicines. About 5 yrs ago started having problems with diarrhea, constipation, fatigue. Then two yrs ago horrible aches and pains, very low temperature. I felt I was dying. Pointed out to my doctor abnormal t3s and t4s which he never noticed. After taking every diagnostic test and even CT scans I was finally prescribed Armour thyroid. I have my life back again. Unbelievable.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 8, 2011 8:44 PM

I was on Synthroid, Lexothyroxine, etc. for three years with no improvement. I complained constantly and two doctors told me to see a psychiatrist. I finally did, and she said, "you're not crazy, you need real thyroid medicine!" She put me on Armour, and I'll never use the synthetic medicines again!

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 28, 2011 1:11 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

This medicine seems to work the best for me...however, the old reformulated was better because the cellulose filler caused some digestive issues.

April 28, 2011 12:27 PM