User Reviews for Armour Thyroid

Learn more about Armour Thyroid.

Armour Thyroid Review Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 42 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Armour Thyroid to treat Underactive Thyroid

"There is a level of inconsistency in its quality and in its potency. I have tried taking it in different ways. Starting with swallowing it (cause immediate bloating). Tried it sublingually and finally crushing it. Again, I have found some difference in the way it crushes. Some are crumbly (more potent) and some are sticky (same batch). One whole box was totally useless. I didnt realise this immediately. Side effects kept increasing with each dose and I kept feeling tired, nauseated, and lacked energy. This effect wore out 4-5 hrs after taking the pill and felt almost back to normal. I opened a new batch and things improved withi 2 days..less side effects and more energy levels. Other side effect is sweet taste. I will try a different brand"

No-nickname-is-accepted-all-in July 13, 2015

"In February 2014, Forest Laboratories, the makers of Armour Thyroid, was bought by the drug company Actavis for $25 million. I recently finished a batch that I had on hand since May of 2014 and was doing quite well with no side effects. As soon as I started a new batch that I purchases in October of 2014, I noticed the difference within a few days: I started itching, being warm and lacking sleep. Before I was sleeping very well regularly while now I'm having a lot of trouble. I think that I will be looking for some other alternative after I see my doctor, preferably Nathroid, and Westhroid. Why would Actavis change the composition of a good product and make it worst? After being a 'happy' individual with Armour for several years, it's time to move on."

Beppe June 3, 2015

"Dr put me on Armor Thyroid after taking me off Levothyroxine and Armor has done absolutely nothing in the way of making me feel better. I was taken off Levothyroxine because I felt as though I had bugs crawling on me so Dr took me off if it thinking I my be having a reaction to the medication. Since then, talking to my personal trainer who recommended that I see a his Dr who specializes in thyroid & hormones. I visited new Dr today they drew 5 vials of blood which they will test all levels of my thyroid, hormone level as well as any and all complete blood work including cholesterol. I'm awaiting an appt next week for results. Levothyroxine gave me great energy but lots of itching. Armor is out for me....no results in feeling better."

Sanzum June 3, 2015

"I was on synthroid, levothyroxine and then finally armour thyroid. synthroid and levothyroxine I was on both for 6 months to 1 year. No change in my thyroid and it also made me a bit crazy, I would have anger out bursts for no reason. Once I went on armour thyroid within the first 3 months my levels were getting better, we bumped my dosage up to 120 and my levels are now perfect. I feel so much better on armour thyroid than I ever did on the other 2."

mrsD92 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 4, 2015

"I changed from Levothroxine to Armour in the last two weeks. I feel so much better in this short amount of time. I'm not so bloated and something just didn't feel right with the Levothyroxine. I have only been taking it two weeks, but the way I feel is good. I take 30 of Armour."

thyroidy (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2015

"Four years ago, I began taking birth control. After a year of trying to find the "right" pill, I was experiencing extreme fatigue, mood swings, depression, constipation, skin/hair problems, weight gain, and inability to lose weight. I stopped the pill and still continued to experience these symptoms. I spent the next few years trying to lose weight and trying to convince my doctor to treat my thyroid. She wouldn't because my TSH level was normal. Two months ago, I found a doctor who prescribes Armour based on symptoms. In one month of taking 25mg of Armour daily, I have regained my health and my life. Fight for your health and ask for Armour. If it doesn't work for you, it's worth searching for a medication that does to feel healthy again."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2015

"I have been on Armour Thyroid for about a year with only a little bit of good results and then about a month ago I realized I should not be eating or drinking especially coffee within the first hour of taking it. I waited a whole hour after taking it to drink my coffee and I have finally started losing the 10 pounds that would not come off and I realized I was doing a whole lot more during the day and wanting to than before. I also noticed much less migraines. I vote yes! I would rate it a 10 if I could drink it with coffee."

buttheadface March 11, 2015

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"For the last 6 years I have been diagnosed with hypothyroid 5.28. I was taking levothyroxine. The first time taking it, I felt like my insides where burning and one night I was in the bathroom and passed out not even know I did until I woke up on the floor. I went to the ER and stopped taking it. Then 4 years later another Dr. put me back on levothyroxine but a lower dose and after a week I felt like I was gaging and couldn't breath and my levels where 6.50. I went to an Urgent care and the Dr. put me on 30mg of Armour and my levels where 5.20. I was put on 90mg Armour and my levels are 2.12 after 1 month. I have emotions now, as before I was numb. My sex drive, well WooHoo. Energy level comes and goes. No weight loss yet."

WooHoo (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2015

"I was on synthetic thyroid medicine and I was still miserable. I strongly recommend having your doctor switch you over to armour thyroid. It is amazing. I have energy, my hair isn't breaking off, I lose weight when I exercise. I absolutely love it."

Satellite41 January 15, 2015

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After 25 years of waiting to feel better on Levothyroxine I finally found someone to prescribe Armour last fall. For the first time in years I feel warm. We just had the worst winter in years and I didn't have to turn the thermostat up once. My bowels are more regular than before. I felt more energy right from the start. More doctors should use this medication. "

Nurse Barb (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2014

203 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"So far so good. After total thyroid removal, had difficulty on just levothyroxine T4. Slept all day, irritated etc. the usual. Enough was enough, emailed my endocrinologist and he tried a different route. Its been a week and I already lost 6 of the 8 lbs I gained over a 7 week period. I have more energy and symptoms are gone. Continued exercise with high protein/ fiber shakes and never felt better. Hopefully it gives us sufferers what we are looking for and need!"

tina p. April 24, 2014

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Over 12 years of battling with hypothyroidism with all it s crazy symptoms, stop school to tired and forgetful, went through a divorce too depressed and lots of weight gain. I thought it was me and dr made me feel I am using my thyroid as excuse since the lab work is normal. I don't want to jinks it but I took my first Armour Thyroid yesterday after requesting it, AND why it a miracle. I felt so alive. So said to think back on my life and what could have been if doctor just really listen to their patient. It took a facebook group to open my eyes."

loony April 24, 2014

225 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Armour reduced water retention and joint/tendon fatigue. However, it made me ravenous and raised my free T3 to uncomfortable levels. I also couldn't exercise. Back to Synthroid in the morning and 15 mg Armour in the afternoon... Better."

T4/T3 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 19, 2014

"I have been on Armour since October '13. I was diagnosed hypothyroid. I have steadily gained weight ever since I started. 20lbs. It has not helped with my cold hands or feet, dry skin, or fatigue. My hair has stopped falling out so bad but that is about the only thing good I can say about this. Also, Im not sure if its related but I've had serious worsening of lower back pain since starting this. "

lrward March 7, 2014

"It took years before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and placed on Synthroid, I started to feel better but many major issues remained. I got more energy back, but never lost weight. My memory got better, but I wasn't clear-headed. I continued to feel major anxiety and had emotional ups and downs. When I found a doctor who suggested I try Armour, within 2 weeks of taking it my life seemed to return. I am a strong supporter of Armour."

alarones (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 8, 2014

205 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had been experiencing undiagnosed hypothyroidism symptoms for long time without really knowing what was going on: extreme fatigue, brain fogginess,mood swings, cold. I had been having my thyroid tested for years due to my mother having had a tumor and removal of hers and yet the dr's all kept telling me the levels were fine. I went to an Integrative Dr and he prescribed for me. I've gradually worked up to taking 45 mg a day. 60mg was too much, headache, very painful and hardened breasts, really bad PMS type symptoms and the bloating! My biggest issue is also the puffiness and inability to lose weight! Protein shakes, cardio exercise and strength training and nothing helps. It's so frustrating!"

NYAL February 3, 2014

"When my hypothyroidism went low enough to treat 15 years ago, I was given Levoxyl, adjusted up to 150 mcg. Fibromyalgia of 23 years worsened. In last 4 years, I developed severe fatigue crashes, heat and exercise intolerance, anxiety, depression, water retention, leg and back muscle weakness/wasting/pain. Tests normal. I exhausted best rheumatologist and neurologist in town, two normal muscle biopsies. Thyroid levels top of normal. Doctors kept me there, prescribing prednisone and five other medicines for fatigue and pain. Sudden breathing problems occurred. Hyperthyroidism exhausted my adrenals. New doctor put me on Armour, lower at 75 mg two weeks ago. I feel fantastic - more strength, less pain/weakness!"

MalibuMary January 26, 2014

133 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I tried several synthetic medicines for hypothyroid to no avail, then a doctor recommended Armour. It has proved to be the best thing - getting me close to my 'normal' self with little to no side effects."

alarones (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 27, 2013

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Armour for 4 days and I have already noticed a difference. I could actually take off my wedding ring. I sleep really well for about 7 hours. Not waking up constantly. My swelling has gone down significantly. My joints do not ache. Not getting as winded. I am taking 60mg. I have noticed that I am really tired at night. I like the suggestion of taking it at night as well. I'll have to check with my doctor and get his opinion."

klenk December 19, 2013

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Diagnosed with hypothyroidism over ten years ago with body aches, insomnia, brain fog, weight gain, etc. On Armour all my symptoms went away except for weight gain despite heavy exercise and dieting. I keep up my regimen but I'm desperate to lose the weight. I don't understand why the Armour has helped everything but the weight gain."

donatos October 14, 2013

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started with 60 MG of Armour thyroid as well and my doctor increased to 90 MG after the results of my second blood work. I knew he would do this because it makes sense."

QuickSilver (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2013

"I first took Armour Thyroid on August 9th, after my doctor said my thyroid was sluggish. I experienced a rash and itchy skin after four days. That is a normal side effect that was rectified by taking half a pill for 7 days then resuming whole pills. The rash and itchiness ended once my body was introduced to taking half a pill. It was an allergic reaction. I have already lost 6 pounds in one month. I expect to lose more and continue to experience good things from here on out with Armour Thyroid. I like that it's bioidentical and is absorbed into our system faster and better than synthetic. That is according to research."

QuickSilver September 23, 2013

"I have had every symptom of hypothyroidism except constipation. I tried Levothyroxine for a month and nothing. I've been taking Armour for 6 weeks and I feel better but I haven't lost any weight despite totally changing my diet and exercising with cardio and strength training for at least 5 days a week. This has never been typical for me. I have been taking 60 mg of Armour Thyroid. My doctor hasn't increased this dosage fearing it will cause hypo but I cannot lose any weight and I've never been in this situation."

melissa1972 September 19, 2013

"Diagnosed with mild hypothyroid a month ago. Started feeling great, but also started getting a rash all over my upper thigh, it isn't itchy or red. It's just raised like poisin oak rash. Waiting to see if it is truly the Armour causing the rash. I haven't seen many people with this side effect. I would hate to stop it (30 mg)."

Debbelite September 5, 2013

"I have been taking Armour for 1 1/2 years, lost 13 pounds, I do not need to lose weight, I feel too thin now. My joints ache, one knee has swollen, feeling tired. I also noticed that having a one beer or cocktail leaves me very ill the next day. T3 level is low so my doctor said to try two 60 mg a day (one morning/night). "

Anonymous July 20, 2013