User Reviews for Armour Thyroid

Learn more about Armour Thyroid.

Armour Thyroid Review Summary

9.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Hashimoto's disease.

Reviews for Armour Thyroid to treat Hashimoto's disease

"I started taking a very low dose back in the summer of 2014 I was walking 3 miles a day. After about 3 weeks I could no longer walk like I use to due to the pain in my neck! I went for test, Heart, blood work they found nothing I took myself off Armor in Jan 2015 I started feeling better I would never take this drug again."

catdogman August 7, 2015

"Like many others I received diagnosis after getting so bad that I could barely walk, couldn't get out of a chair without rolling over to the arm and pulling/pushing myself out. Was prescribed synthetic and got a bit better but my hair started falling out and got headaches. I started the research & insisted on the Armour. Huge difference., esp mental performance. I make my living doing analyses on high risk complex things. It was so wonderful to get my brain back. I had some help from a naturopathic Dr who suggest that I add supplements to address any adrenals damage (adrenal rebuilders). Final step has been traditional Chinese Medicine and I am now almost off the Armour, too. Western med will tell you thyroid is a lifelong path. Maybe."

AnonLady February 15, 2015

"I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's at 11 yrs old and was on Synthroid since until last year (I was 28). After I was off all medication for about 6 months and my blood test came back at a dangerous level, my doctor immediately got me back on a lower dosage of Synthroid, but I had one of the worst side effects from it - so she quickly switched me to Armour and gradually upped the dose from 30mg until I got to 120mg and my blood levels were back to normal. I've never felt better! I started to lose the weight I gained during my non-medicated time and I have energy I thought I never had. At this point, I refuse to go back to Synthroid. I wish I knew of this before now, everyone around me can see the difference in my moods, a lot happier!"

DCOVA (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2015

"I have been on Armour for 13 years minimal symptoms.. Steady TSH and optimal F T3."

ITALIUNGURL December 14, 2014

"I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at age 14 although I had a high TSH (in the normal range) since I was born. I was treated with Synthroid and levothyroxine for the past 7 years and I never really thought about how it was affecting me. Within these 7 years I gained and lost and gained again 75 lbs which was due to the depression that Synthroid was causing. I recently began feeling so bad and decided to stop Synthroid and asked my doctor for Armour...one month later and I am as happy and optimistic as I used to be before Synthroid. I have also lost 12 lbs within a month (with proper diet and nutrition of course). I have had no side effects on this medication and I am 100% happy I decided to switch."

Roksanaroxy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2014

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Armour has given me energy again and without any side effects. Synthoid never made me better. It hurt my bones and gave me a big face."

euma November 19, 2014

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Within a week of taking Armour Thyroid my periods returned (they were gone 2 yrs on T4 only), my energy levels returned (I could barely walk or do any housework on T4 only), I can think clearly now (was in a state of confusion on T4) depression is gone completely (I was in a depressive state on T4 only and refused antidepressants because I knew it was not depression because of my life). I am out of the bedroom and functioning again. "

rc71 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2014

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had Thryoiditis/ Hashimotos and Raynauds Syndrome for 20 yrs. TSH was as HIGH as 200 but never went below 65 in 14 yrs. I've had 13 heart procedures and 16 stents. A Pacemaker in 2010 due to a Heart rate of 42 but no attention given to a TSH that was 165. Now we are checking for PHEOCHROMOCYTOMA .. Also my GP has replaced SYNTHROID with ARMOUR. Synthroid has NO IODINE OR T3 needed for the body. Side effects are terrible for a week but my body is ALIVE thanks to ARMOUR. "

LAMF (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2014

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"For years I felt terrible most days. Tired, sleeping by 7pm. No energy, gained weight, was puffy/bloated all the time. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease 9 months ago. My doctor prescribed levothyroxine. I still didn't feel like myself. Still no energy, breaking out in sweats (especially at night), always felt bloated. No relief from my symptoms. The worst symptom of all was forgetfulness and brain fog. After reading a page (Hypothyroid Mom) on facebook, I saw how many people had success with Armour Thyroid. She put me on 30mg twice daily. Now I am hyperthyroid. Hoping to get this under control soon. I feel 100 times better on Armour. And I've lost a little bit of weight!"

Sashas New Mom March 18, 2014

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started off in Oct 2013 on 15 mg of Armour for hypothyroid symptoms. I slowly increased it up to 180 mg by December as per doctor's instructions. I felt a little better, but still bouts of severe fatigue. Suddenly, I woke up last week very energized and started buzzing around cleaning. I felt like I had 3 cups of coffee. Racing heart and anxiety in my chest. I found myself having to find a quiet place to sit and meditate just to try and lower my heart rate. Two days later I went for blood tests. TSH 0.009, Free T3 4.1, and Free T4 1.41. Iron levels and adrenals are fine. Now I am hyperthyroid I guess. I am down to 60mg of Armour. Hopefully I will be able to find a happy balance. "

florns (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2014

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Everyone's battle with Hashimoto's will be different which will lead to different treatments. In my case, Armour has worked best. About a year ago, I had a sudden increase in weight with no change in diet or exercise. Once I saw this change, I ate healthier than ever before and working out consistently yet my weight went from 115 to 130 in a short period of time. I felt "puffy" and bloated constantly. Finally I was given Synthroid because Hashi's runs in my family and I had increase of antibodies. I was on it for 6 weeks and did not see any improvement. I am now on my 5th week of Armour and the bloating is gone as well as the weight gain. Don't let the doctors tell you how you feel. You must treat the symptoms. I hope this helps someone."

College student (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2013

301 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After college I was diagnosed with Grave's disease and they did the radioactive iodine treatment on me which completely killed my thyroid. I used to be super skinny and could eat all the time. Now I'm not one of those people who ever got big my max weight after treatment was 147lbs, which for 5"4 still wasn't "big". I however was spending 2 hours working out 5 days a week and basically living on protein shakes so I should have definitely been a lot thinner. Before the treatment I was 123lbs and to bloom up to 147lbs in a matter of 4 years. I was on Synthroid for 6 years and never felt normal. I tried Naturoid for 6 months still nothing. My new doctor put me on Armour and I couldn't be happier. I have my energy back and am down to 130lbs."

Got my life back! (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2013

156 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Desiccated thyroid extract = works Cytomel Synthroid = works Synthroid/T4 only thyroid medicines = DO NOT WORK "

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2012

"I found out I had an under active thyroid about 2 years ago and as a college student I found it so hard to focus in class. My doctor placed me on Synthroid and I took it for about 6 months. I had severe headaches, depression, weight gain with no weight loss in sight, and feeling tired and horrible. I went to my obgyn for a yearly check up and he checked my thyroid and now I'm taking Armour. I love this medicine. All the headaches, loss of focus, and the weight gained again is gone! I take it the same time everyday and this pill works for me!"

Anonymous December 13, 2011

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After years of levothyroxine, I never felt any improvement. After a little research, I requested a trial of natural thyroid. I felt improvement quickly. When I was assigned a new doctor, she refused to continue the natural thyroid and put me back on the synthetic. Needless to say, I went back to feeling blah. A new doctor was willing to work with me and natural thyroid, and the mind fogs are gone! I feel "normal" once again!"

Vdunsel October 9, 2010

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was on Synthroid for 1 1/2 years I gained 10 pounds and had anxiety. For the first year I had full trust in my doctor, but later I was not feeling right. I had memory fogs, anxiety, and my weight was a problem. I used to be a size 4 and now I am a size 12. That alone was depressing. I took charge and researched Hashimotos Disease. I later told my doctor that I wanted to go on Armour and that I was done with Synthroid. He said okay and put me on a 60mg 30mg because he thought we would have to adjust it. Well here I am a year later taking 60mg 30mg and 10 pounds less without working out."

Anonymous April 7, 2010

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was on Synthroid for 18 months. Couldn't walk, because of water retention so after reading about Armour decided to try it. The doctor didn't want to prescribe it. However, I insisted, and he gave it to me. Wow what a difference , within two days. All the water retention the Synthroid caused was gone and I am now on it for years. So glad I got my life back."

joannyadoptees November 28, 2009

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I went 5 miserable years with undiagnosed, Hashimoto disease for which I was told it was all in my head & prescribed synthroid & antidepressants. Now that I'm on Armour, I have made significant improvements in my health & I no longer have the 'brain fog' & chronic fatigue."

lis4lsu September 26, 2009

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I would never go back to Synthroid as the side effects were unbearable. "

LisainLA August 24, 2009

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After years of levothyroxine with remaining symptoms and lots of pills for those symptoms, my adrenals began to get fatigued, had to be admitted to hospital with confusion, vomiting and other symptoms of adrenal fatigue and sugar problems. I was so tired and my muscles so weak I had trouble moving my diaphragm to breath. Armour sorted that for me. It is a much superior medicine than levothyroxine alone. People will not realize their remaining symptoms could be due to their thyroid medication while others could be fine on levothyroxine. I find this much better for me. "

Dawnx May 9, 2009

178 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Hashimoto's disease