User Reviews for Armour Thyroid

Learn more about Armour Thyroid.

Armour Thyroid Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 14 medications used in the treatment of Hashimoto's disease.

Reviews for Armour Thyroid to treat Hashimoto's disease

"Synthroid did not help: zero improvement on quality of life and bad side effects. Have been through all possible medications, none helped, same story as Synthroid. Am now on Armour, 3 grains. Doesn't help at all, and gives me side effects: weight gain, hair loss, difficulty sleeping, hyperpigmentation, no patella reflex, brain fog, extreme fatigue, etc. In fact I feel better, and most of the signs/symptoms are lessened, if I take *nothing* even though my TSH is 90 and my T4 and T3 are undetectable (ie, no T3 nor T4 in my body). I overwhelmingly prefer taking nothing as that gives me the best quality of life (albeit a pretty poor quality of life). I take medication, Armour, (and suffer), only because my doctors insist that I take medication."

Igaveup (taken for 10 years or more) April 22, 2016

"synthroid did not work well feel much better now on Armour Thyroid"

Jb1960ab (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 30, 2016

"Four years of misery thinking I had food allergies when I was allergic to the FILLERS in the Armour thyroid medication. The side effects included: 2 different rashes on my scalp and behind my ears, excessive sugar cravings, depression, suicidal thoughts, after eating my stomach hurt all the time, couldn't eat anything without getting diarrhea. I went to several doctors and not one suspected the Armour thyroid medication. I figured it out! When I stopped taking it the side effects went away immediately! The rashes a little longer but started clearing up right away. Now, I'm trying the thyroid hormone ONLY without fillers. The interesting thing is my insurance won't pay for it because it comes from a compounding pharmacy not BIG PHARMA."

Queen of Everything! January 25, 2016

"I was on Levothyroxine for years (17). I have 7 thyroid nodules, and my physician is monitoring them closely. I begged my doctor to try Armour as I was so depressed, brain fog and felt the worst ever. I was put on 90 grains of Armour, within 6 months my tsh was .04. I was having tremors and racing heart. Apparently my body is extremely sensitive to Armour. I am now transitioning back to Synthroid/Levothyroxine and hopefully t3. Over the years your body changes (of course) - listen to your body. Everyone is different. Good luck"

T' January 25, 2016

"I just started Armour today and I'm on cloud 9! Was just diagnosed 6 weeks ago with Hashimoto's and have been on 3 different meds. 1st Naturethroid, next Levoxyl, then on to Synthroid. All gave me HORRIBLE side effects. I felt like I was putting poison in my body every morning. But today I feel like I hit the jackpot with Armour. Feel like my old self again.... I have energy, no body aches, and I can think clearly!"

lynny1231 (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2015

"Was on Levothyroxine and I noticed some improvement, but still felt symptoms. We increased the dosage and noticed improvement, but still not quite right. Over time my symptoms returned and I was continually complaining that my dosage was not right, even though my numbers were within normal limits. My doctor recommended the switch to armour. The first week I wanted to die, I couldn't stay awake, I had constant headaches, I was irritable. After 5 days, I was ready to call the doctor and get taken off...and then MAGIC happened happened. Week 2 I had energy, I started to sleep better, no headaches. So far so good. I am hopeful!"

KWdub December 2, 2015

"This medication has had the adverse affect for me. After being diagnosed with Hashimoto's, my doctor expected that this medication would help me with brain fog, energy and tiredness. I experienced the opposite. Within a few days of taking the 60 mg dosage I felt worse. I began sleeping extremely heavy, had a huge amount of trouble waking in the morning, and could barely keep my eyes open past 8:30pm each night. I gained five pounds in two months even though I had improved my eating habits and exercise. I began getting these dull headaches on the top of my head. I became extremely irritable with everything which is not my normal disposition. Dr told me to stop taking immediately and is prescribing Nature-throid. Will see how that goes."

Alb1103 September 9, 2015

"I started taking a very low dose back in the summer of 2014 I was walking 3 miles a day. After about 3 weeks I could no longer walk like I use to due to the pain in my neck! I went for test, Heart, blood work they found nothing I took myself off Armor in Jan 2015 I started feeling better I would never take this drug again."

catdogman August 7, 2015

"Like many others I received diagnosis after getting so bad that I could barely walk, couldn't get out of a chair without rolling over to the arm and pulling/pushing myself out. Was prescribed synthetic and got a bit better but my hair started falling out and got headaches. I started the research & insisted on the Armour. Huge difference., esp mental performance. I make my living doing analyses on high risk complex things. It was so wonderful to get my brain back. I had some help from a naturopathic Dr who suggest that I add supplements to address any adrenals damage (adrenal rebuilders). Final step has been traditional Chinese Medicine and I am now almost off the Armour, too. Western med will tell you thyroid is a lifelong path. Maybe."

AnonLady February 15, 2015

"I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's at 11 yrs old and was on Synthroid since until last year (I was 28). After I was off all medication for about 6 months and my blood test came back at a dangerous level, my doctor immediately got me back on a lower dosage of Synthroid, but I had one of the worst side effects from it - so she quickly switched me to Armour and gradually upped the dose from 30mg until I got to 120mg and my blood levels were back to normal. I've never felt better! I started to lose the weight I gained during my non-medicated time and I have energy I thought I never had. At this point, I refuse to go back to Synthroid. I wish I knew of this before now, everyone around me can see the difference in my moods, a lot happier!"

DCOVA (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2015

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Armour for 13 years minimal symptoms.. Steady TSH and optimal F T3."

ITALIUNGURL December 14, 2014

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at age 14 although I had a high TSH (in the normal range) since I was born. I was treated with Synthroid and levothyroxine for the past 7 years and I never really thought about how it was affecting me. Within these 7 years I gained and lost and gained again 75 lbs which was due to the depression that Synthroid was causing. I recently began feeling so bad and decided to stop Synthroid and asked my doctor for Armour...one month later and I am as happy and optimistic as I used to be before Synthroid. I have also lost 12 lbs within a month (with proper diet and nutrition of course). I have had no side effects on this medication and I am 100% happy I decided to switch."

Roksanaroxy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2014

166 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Armour has given me energy again and without any side effects. Synthoid never made me better. It hurt my bones and gave me a big face."

euma November 19, 2014

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Within a week of taking Armour Thyroid my periods returned (they were gone 2 yrs on T4 only), my energy levels returned (I could barely walk or do any housework on T4 only), I can think clearly now (was in a state of confusion on T4) depression is gone completely (I was in a depressive state on T4 only and refused antidepressants because I knew it was not depression because of my life). I am out of the bedroom and functioning again. "

rc71 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2014

172 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had Thryoiditis/ Hashimotos and Raynauds Syndrome for 20 yrs. TSH was as HIGH as 200 but never went below 65 in 14 yrs. I've had 13 heart procedures and 16 stents. A Pacemaker in 2010 due to a Heart rate of 42 but no attention given to a TSH that was 165. Now we are checking for PHEOCHROMOCYTOMA .. Also my GP has replaced SYNTHROID with ARMOUR. Synthroid has NO IODINE OR T3 needed for the body. Side effects are terrible for a week but my body is ALIVE thanks to ARMOUR. "

LAMF (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2014

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"For years I felt terrible most days. Tired, sleeping by 7pm. No energy, gained weight, was puffy/bloated all the time. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease 9 months ago. My doctor prescribed levothyroxine. I still didn't feel like myself. Still no energy, breaking out in sweats (especially at night), always felt bloated. No relief from my symptoms. The worst symptom of all was forgetfulness and brain fog. After reading a page (Hypothyroid Mom) on facebook, I saw how many people had success with Armour Thyroid. She put me on 30mg twice daily. Now I am hyperthyroid. Hoping to get this under control soon. I feel 100 times better on Armour. And I've lost a little bit of weight!"

Sashas New Mom March 18, 2014

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started off in Oct 2013 on 15 mg of Armour for hypothyroid symptoms. I slowly increased it up to 180 mg by December as per doctor's instructions. I felt a little better, but still bouts of severe fatigue. Suddenly, I woke up last week very energized and started buzzing around cleaning. I felt like I had 3 cups of coffee. Racing heart and anxiety in my chest. I found myself having to find a quiet place to sit and meditate just to try and lower my heart rate. Two days later I went for blood tests. TSH 0.009, Free T3 4.1, and Free T4 1.41. Iron levels and adrenals are fine. Now I am hyperthyroid I guess. I am down to 60mg of Armour. Hopefully I will be able to find a happy balance. "

florns (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2014

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Everyone's battle with Hashimoto's will be different which will lead to different treatments. In my case, Armour has worked best. About a year ago, I had a sudden increase in weight with no change in diet or exercise. Once I saw this change, I ate healthier than ever before and working out consistently yet my weight went from 115 to 130 in a short period of time. I felt "puffy" and bloated constantly. Finally I was given Synthroid because Hashi's runs in my family and I had increase of antibodies. I was on it for 6 weeks and did not see any improvement. I am now on my 5th week of Armour and the bloating is gone as well as the weight gain. Don't let the doctors tell you how you feel. You must treat the symptoms. I hope this helps someone."

College student (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2013

331 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After college I was diagnosed with Grave's disease and they did the radioactive iodine treatment on me which completely killed my thyroid. I used to be super skinny and could eat all the time. Now I'm not one of those people who ever got big my max weight after treatment was 147lbs, which for 5"4 still wasn't "big". I however was spending 2 hours working out 5 days a week and basically living on protein shakes so I should have definitely been a lot thinner. Before the treatment I was 123lbs and to bloom up to 147lbs in a matter of 4 years. I was on Synthroid for 6 years and never felt normal. I tried Naturoid for 6 months still nothing. My new doctor put me on Armour and I couldn't be happier. I have my energy back and am down to 130lbs."

Got my life back! (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2013

174 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Desiccated thyroid extract = works Cytomel Synthroid = works Synthroid/T4 only thyroid medicines = DO NOT WORK "

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2012

"I found out I had an under active thyroid about 2 years ago and as a college student I found it so hard to focus in class. My doctor placed me on Synthroid and I took it for about 6 months. I had severe headaches, depression, weight gain with no weight loss in sight, and feeling tired and horrible. I went to my obgyn for a yearly check up and he checked my thyroid and now I'm taking Armour. I love this medicine. All the headaches, loss of focus, and the weight gained again is gone! I take it the same time everyday and this pill works for me!"

Anonymous December 13, 2011

158 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After years of levothyroxine, I never felt any improvement. After a little research, I requested a trial of natural thyroid. I felt improvement quickly. When I was assigned a new doctor, she refused to continue the natural thyroid and put me back on the synthetic. Needless to say, I went back to feeling blah. A new doctor was willing to work with me and natural thyroid, and the mind fogs are gone! I feel "normal" once again!"

Vdunsel October 9, 2010

150 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was on Synthroid for 1 1/2 years I gained 10 pounds and had anxiety. For the first year I had full trust in my doctor, but later I was not feeling right. I had memory fogs, anxiety, and my weight was a problem. I used to be a size 4 and now I am a size 12. That alone was depressing. I took charge and researched Hashimotos Disease. I later told my doctor that I wanted to go on Armour and that I was done with Synthroid. He said okay and put me on a 60mg 30mg because he thought we would have to adjust it. Well here I am a year later taking 60mg 30mg and 10 pounds less without working out."

Anonymous April 7, 2010

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was on Synthroid for 18 months. Couldn't walk, because of water retention so after reading about Armour decided to try it. The doctor didn't want to prescribe it. However, I insisted, and he gave it to me. Wow what a difference , within two days. All the water retention the Synthroid caused was gone and I am now on it for years. So glad I got my life back."

joannyadoptees November 28, 2009

141 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I went 5 miserable years with undiagnosed, Hashimoto disease for which I was told it was all in my head & prescribed synthroid & antidepressants. Now that I'm on Armour, I have made significant improvements in my health & I no longer have the 'brain fog' & chronic fatigue."

lis4lsu September 26, 2009

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate