User Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Also known as: Armour Thyroid, Bio-Throid, Nature-Throid, NP Thyroid, Thyroid Porcine, Westhroid

Learn more about Thyroid desiccated.

Thyroid Cancer 1 reviews 15 medications

TSH Suppression 0 reviews 23 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Thyroid desiccated reviews 84 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I had several side effects from Synthroid that I thought I just had to try and live with in order to treat my hypothyroidism. After starting Nature-Throid, the side effects were gone and I noticed an improvement with all of my symptoms. Today, I feel the best I have felt in 20 years. The difference is truly amazing to me. I didn't think I had any other options until Nature-Throid was suggested, I am so thankful for this medicine.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 27, 2010 9:07 AM
Review by lorevale1988: User Rating:

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: Started taking Nature-Throid and haven't had any changes. Added Cytomel and are hoping this does something.

August 23, 2010 9:56 AM
Review by Jameyrenee: User Rating:

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: I was on Synthroid and Cytomel for many years but my symptoms were never alleviated until I started Nature-Throid. I'm most pleased that my depression and foggy headiness were gone shortly after starting it. I continue to see improvements in my energy levels and weight loss.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 1, 2010 1:11 AM
Review by gigisdiamonds: User Rating:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I and 3 other family members that have low thyroid and all have found this works best. However at this time we are unable to get any and have been put on Synthroid.

April 20, 2010 3:22 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: I was on Synthroid for 1 1/2 years I gained 10 pounds and had anxiety. For the first year I had full trust in my doctor, but later I was not feeling right. I had memory fogs, anxiety, and my weight was a problem. I used to be a size 4 and now I am a size 12. That alone was depressing. I took charge and researched Hashimotos Disease. I later told my doctor that I wanted to go on Armour and that I was done with Synthroid. He said okay and put me on a 60mg 30mg because he thought we would have to adjust it. Well here I am a year later taking 60mg 30mg and 10 pounds less without working out.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 7, 2010 2:09 PM
Review by Ladyartist: User Rating:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: Great news! I just talked with Forest Labs (manufacturer of Armour Thyroid). They updated their manufacturing equipment and changed formulation by increasing dextrose and decreasing cellulose. The dessicated thyroid stayed the same, even though they have trouble getting it. However, the pills now are very difficult to cut in half (they crumble). I do great on Armour and had a severe allergic reaction to synthetic hormones. I don't like the new formulation as much because I cut my pills in half, but it's better than synthetic. Hope this information helps.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 18, 2010 6:11 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: Great med if you can get it. The back order crapola struck right at the beginning of my treatment with it. I noticed right away relief in symptoms with it. I now take a combo of Westhroid and Nature-throid. Synthroid, Levoxyl gave me hell with side effects! Cytomel gave me vertigo, the naturals are GREAT!(Hashi's/hypo) worked up to 4 grains now.

March 12, 2010 5:17 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Westhroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I've been on a combination of Westhroid and Nature-throid due to the shortages for a couple months now. Gradually been upping the dose and FINALLY today after yesterdays increase my abdominal bloating is down! I've been afraid to "up" my dose in fear of not getting enough supply. But the bloating was so bad- none of my clothes fit -and I looked 8 months pregnant that and other non abating symptoms forced me to up one more grain and voila! Now, the other fear is will my doctor "freak" out? last labs showed low end free T's and a very suppressed TSH- which as we know makes dr's go nutty. But it does appear Westhroid is a bit easier to get.

March 12, 2010 5:13 PM
Review by rose63: User Rating:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I had used Armour Thyroid 5yrs. ago. I had bowl surgery, which really messed my whole body up. I stopped it. Now, I started Armour Thyroid back up, seems, I cannot be without it. I got sick, and continue to do so, if I cannot get this medication. I get more sick, if I get synthroid, and the other thyroid meds. However, with Armour Thyroid, It already has the t3 and t4 for me, so my body will not break down the synthroid or other thyroid meds, as with Armour Thyroid, its a God send. Now, I got a pharmacy thats using a compound to make my 30mg for me in a capsule format. I feel I need my 60mg back as I was on 5yrs. ago. I feel the capsules compound isnt right or not as strong, seems I need more to make me feel better.

February 13, 2010 5:52 PM
Review by EileenJ: User Rating:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I am very sad that this is not available right now. It greatly improved my quality of life.

January 13, 2010 12:42 AM
Review by fromthemomma: User Rating:

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I can't take Synthroid and am allergic to the fillers in Armour. Nature Throid is hypoallergenic and has both T3 and T4 so it works really well for me.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 2, 2010 2:32 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I had trouble getting Armour brand too. I found a local pharmacy that carries a generic desiccated thyroid pill. It works just as well (for me) and it's very economical.

December 31, 2009 9:22 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I called Forrest Pharmaceuticals and the customer service rep told me they are NOT planning on discontinuing, but they are having trouble getting enough of the active ingredients (pig thyroid) to meet demand. Thank you "Swine Flu" for causing people to be afraid to consume pork. I feared this would happen when the scare about swine flu first hit the news.

December 22, 2009 11:17 PM
Review by C.LYLLY: User Rating:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: To everyone who is going through what I am going through - no Armour Thyroid medication! I've searched high and low for the medication with everyone telling me iIhave no choice but to try something different and my reply to the different pharmacies was I have been on every other thyroid medication there is, and they don't work! Well Thank God for my pharmacist Greg over at Riteaid he said there was a pharmacy in Beverly, Ma who will make my medication pills of AZrmour thyroid which is a little bit pricier 80.00 for the 90mg tablets of which I take 2 x 90mgs a day so 60 tablets for $80 so if you can find a pharmacy in your area that makes compounds you will be all set!

November 28, 2009 12:29 PM
Review by joannyadoptees: User Rating:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: I was on Synthroid for 18 months. Couldn't walk, because of water retention so after reading about Armour decided to try it. The doctor didn't want to prescribe it. However, I insisted, and he gave it to me. Wow what a difference , within two days. All the water retention the Synthroid caused was gone and I am now on it for years. So glad I got my life back.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 28, 2009 11:16 AM
Review by cancer51: User Rating:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: After I gained 60 lbs in a 3 month period approximately 8 years ago, it was determined that I had Hypothyroidism. I was given Synthroid which stopped the weight gain, however, I have never felt quite right even though my TSH and T3/T4 would to be normal. My hands and feet were always cold, my eyebrows were very thin, always tired, etc, etc. I started taking Armour Thyroid about 4 months ago and feel terrific. I have even started losing weight (15 lbs so far). I am worried that I have been having problems trying to fill my prescription lately. Please tell me that they are not going to discontinue Armour Thyroid?? I am getting several different explanations as to why it is not readily available.

November 16, 2009 12:11 AM
Review by Former Armour User: User Rating:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: Was diagnosed as hypothyroid and started immediately on Armour. Actually gained weight on it, despite strict diet and exercise. Always felt very bloated in abdomen while taking it and still felt tired. During the time I was on it, they reformulated it and I felt even worse. Switched over to a combination of Levoxyl and Cytomel. Felt more energetic and even lost a bit of the weight. Armour may work well for some but it just didn't do anything for me.

November 3, 2009 4:44 PM
Review by Tammy Fawn: User Rating:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I was first treated with Levothyroxine for my hypothyroidism. After 6 weeks of being on it, it had no effect whatsoever! I asked my Doctor for Armour Thyroid and boy what a difference! It's great! Too bad also that labs use an outdated reference range of what is "normal" on TSH, T-4, and T-3 blood tests results. Do your own research, because what the lab says is normal is not!

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 6, 2009 1:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I tried the different synthetic hormones for 14 years, never feeling quite right even when my tests said my levels were OK. I started Armour Thyroid early this year and finally feel good. I'd forgotten what that meant. The Armour dose is higher than the conversion chart indicated but it is amazing to feel normal again.

October 4, 2009 1:08 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I have been taking Armour thyroid for 15 years, and have never had a side effect or problem. It has help me greatly with fatigue. It is a great and gentle drug. Why on earth would they take it off the market. I have noticed that it's getting difficult to get my prescription filled, but I was told it was a manufacturing problem??

October 3, 2009 2:08 AM
Review by lis4lsu: User Rating:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: I went 5 miserable years with undiagnosed, Hashimoto disease for which I was told it was all in my head & prescribed synthroid & antidepressants. Now that I'm on Armour, I have made significant improvements in my health & I no longer have the 'brain fog' & chronic fatigue.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 26, 2009 2:15 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I was prescribed Armour Thyroid after trying Synthroid and finding out it didn't work for me. With Synthroid I actually felt worse; nausea, no appetite, even more tired, but Armour Thyroid was such a relief and made me feel normal again. It made my hair stop falling out at such an alarming rate, and helped my weight stabilize. I actually have energy to do things now! I have been told by my pharmacist though that Armour Thyroid is no longer being made. I have to try to switch to another natural thyroid medication and I'm not sure what my doctor will be giving me. I hope my testimonial on the effectiveness of this medication in combination with everyone else's might show how good this medication is and bring it back.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 11, 2009 2:25 PM
Review by LisainLA: User Rating:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: I would never go back to Synthroid as the side effects were unbearable.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 24, 2009 3:37 AM
Review by Dawnx: User Rating:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: After years of levothyroxine with remaining symptoms and lots of pills for those symptoms, my adrenals began to get fatigued, had to be admitted to hospital with confusion, vomiting and other symptoms of adrenal fatigue and sugar problems. I was so tired and my muscles so weak I had trouble moving my diaphragm to breath. Armour sorted that for me. It is a much superior medicine than levothyroxine alone. People will not realize their remaining symptoms could be due to their thyroid medication while others could be fine on levothyroxine. I find this much better for me.

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 9, 2009 4:04 PM
Review by revzoom: User Rating:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I was diagnosed with Papillary Carcinoma in early 2006. My thyroid was removed and tested positive. I was put on Synthroid and Cytomel for one week, then dropped the latter. I slowly went downhill physically and mentally. I gained a lot of weight, and I could not concentrate for any length of time. I could not return to work. An angel gave me the name of a doctor who would prescribe Armour Thyroid. Within a week I began to feel better. Soon I felt better than I had in a long time. I returned to work and have stayed healthy ever since. Armour Thyroid is the only way to go for me.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 8, 2009 11:03 AM
Page 1 2 3 4 Next

Advanced Breast Cancer: Learn about treatments to improve quality of life. Click Here