User Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Also known as: Armour Thyroid, Bio-Throid, Nature-Throid, NP Thyroid, Thyroid Porcine, Westhroid

Learn more about Thyroid desiccated.

TSH Suppression 1 reviews 24 medications

Thyroid Cancer 4 reviews 16 medications

Depression 0 reviews 75 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Thyroid desiccated reviews 112 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "When I was Diagnosed With thyroid problems around nine years ago. My TSH was a 6.7. I was placed on Synthriod. I developed terrible headaches right from the start. The Dr. decided to switch over to Levoxyl brand. Let me tell you it has been a whirl wind of problems from tiredness, to aches and pains coming out of nowhere. I gain 50lbs in the last nine years. Constantly dieting, the gym, nothing worked. Swelling and cloudy thinking. The Dr. said my TSH was normal. Okay, just started on Armour Thyroid 60mg. Unbelievable. My aches and pains are gone. Lost five pounds in these last two weeks. Swelling is gone and I am alert! Do your homework and take charge. I finally did! " Armour changed my life"."

Cher: July 9, 2013

204 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "After college I was diagnosed with Grave's disease and they did the radioactive iodine treatment on me which completely killed my thyroid. I used to be super skinny and could eat all the time. Now I'm not one of those people who ever got big my max weight after treatment was 147lbs, which for 5"4 still wasn't "big". I however was spending 2 hours working out 5 days a week and basically living on protein shakes so I should have definitely been a lot thinner. Before the treatment I was 123lbs and to bloom up to 147lbs in a matter of 4 years. I was on Synthroid for 6 years and never felt normal. I tried Naturoid for 6 months still nothing. My new doctor put me on Armour and I couldn't be happier. I have my energy back and am down to 130lbs."

Got my life back! (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2013

145 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on dessicated Thyroid since I was diagnosed in 1999, recommended by my naturopath as superior to synthetic. My problem has been that most doctors dose based on TSH which doesn't necessarily equate to thyroid function. I was losing energy in the evening, falling asleep after meals and having a hard time losing some weight (not normal for me). I found a practitioner to monitor dosing to my symptoms and I am much better. I take 60mg in the morning and another 60mg in the afternoon and I have lots of energy and sleep when I want to. I'm still taking less than many who regularly take thyroid meds, but I feel great."

ravengrrl (taken for 10 years or more) April 3, 2013

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease and had my thyroid radiated so it no longer functions. I was started on Synthroid and I felt horrible. I was eventually prescribed all the other thyroid medicines but nothing worked well. I felt awful, I couldn't remember anything, I was exhausted and irritable all the time. Finally a Dr. prescribed me Armour and I feel almost normal again. It can be very hard to get as Dr.'s have to have a special license to prescribe it but I've been persistent and will accept no other thyroid replacement medication. "

Debra369 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2013

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was first prescribed Synthroid...Whilst my TSH levels came down to 1,9 I still had side effects, like I was permanently cold...and fatigued, as well as gained 30 pounds...I changed to Armour, and my feelings of intense cold subsided, my fatigue eased ff...and my weight is slowly coming down...My TSH level is down to 0.42! "

J9M (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 18, 2013

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I started taking Synthroid 200mrgs From 2002- Oct 2012. Because i had thyroid cancer. had both of my thyroids removed. A friend told me to try armour thyroid, and you will fill alot better. I took her advice and she gave mw the name of the Dr who will perscride armour thyroid. I been taking 90mrgs of Amour thyroid and i fill great, I can tell the difference after i took the first pill. My energy level is very high. I dont need a nap during the day."

Chill c (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2012

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I like this one as it is the most natural thyroid medication. I am constantly losing my hair but that is caused by hypothyroidism as well."

Tina822 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 9, 2012

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I had Graves disease 20 years ago and my thyroid was burned out with irradiated iodide. I was put on Synthroid daily and gained almost 80 pounds over the years. I had all the bad headaches, fatigue, water retention, brain fog etc. Finally I started working for a functional medicine doctor who specializes in bioidentical hormone treatment. I signed up and we switched me over to Armour. I have only been taking it for about a week and I am already starting to feel better. I will report back in another week to say how I am feeling. "

csoljak (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2012

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "Desiccated thyroid extract = works Cytomel Synthroid = works Synthroid/T4 only thyroid medicines = DO NOT WORK "

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2012

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I am on 60mg of Armour. I was on Cytomel and felt better. My numbers got worse so my doctor switched me to Armour. It's okay, but I still can't lose those 10 lbs. that I want to and I've never had a hard time losing weight. I get really tired at night too. I like the idea of Armour since it's been around for so long, but I just wish I could lose this weight and have a little more energy at night."

mika23 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 29, 2012

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I have been on some form of thyroid for 20 years. First I was on Armour then Synthroid. But what changed all that was my thyroid cancer diagnosis 6 months ago. They kept me on Synthroid, and never told me there was a difference. It seems to me that you need T4 and T3, which armour provides. I felt so achy after my surgery. Everyday my body hurt and I was do tired and absent minded. Also I have had weight gain. Went to a different doctor last week and have switched to Armour. We shall see. The main difference I feel so far is less body aches. That is wonderful to me!"

dnamel (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2012

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was on Synthroid for 5 yrs, when I went from 75mcgs to 125mcg I realized that the allergies were from my medicine. Swelling of the throat, losing my voice, weight gain, etc. Now because of 2 weeks on Armour I am. I am so optimistic and I feel 20 yrs younger."

T.T. February 8, 2012

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "Made me sick. Took myself off it after two weeks."

Anonymous January 25, 2012

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have been taking Armour Thryroid 60 mg/day for about 9 months and some of my symptoms of Hypothyroidism improved, however my (Jan 2012) lab tests suggested I was still low. My doctor doubled the dose to 120 mg/day. In the past, I occasionally noticed some small pimples in the area of my lower lip and chin but after two weeks on the higher dose, I started "blooming" all over my face and neck. I looked like I was suffering from a case of measles or severe acne. My doctor advised me to immediately stop the Armour. I have read a number if reports of people experiencing the same or similar allergic reaction to the changed Armour formula."

camparitonic January 14, 2012

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I have been taking Nature-throid for more than a year now and find it simply outstanding. I have had no allergic reaction, that I am aware of, as I had with Armour brand and synthetic thyroid (a rash). My blood test results have been quite stable. I have been able to stay on the same dose, 32.5MG, and now enjoy the peace of mind of simply taking the pill (which I crush with my teeth and allow to dissolve sublingually) and get on with my life. I should note that over the past several years I have made significant changes such as eliminating dairy, egg, and gluten from my diet, which I feel has greatly complemented any pharmaceutical benefit. An outstanding medication, Nature-throid has helped me restore vitality to my life."

danaleann January 4, 2012

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Westhroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have never had a thyroid. After trying several different medicines such as Armour & Synthroid, I was happy to get Westhroid. However, at week 4 my hair is still rough, including my facial hair (I am female, 55), energy level is low and lots of joint/muscle pain still! The adjustment phase takes SO MUCH TIME & patience but I am hopeful. Anyone without a thyroid needs all 4 thyroid hormones; T1-T4 calcitonin. Synthetics only have T4, period. I will come back in 2 weeks with an update."

softee33 January 2, 2012

For Underactive Thyroid: "Thyroid pill made me feel normal and healthy. I have lost lbs and maintained it, no more fatigue and sluggishness. "

Anonymous December 20, 2011

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I found out I had an under active thyroid about 2 years ago and as a college student I found it so hard to focus in class. My doctor placed me on Synthroid and I took it for about 6 months. I had severe headaches, depression, weight gain with no weight loss in sight, and feeling tired and horrible. I went to my obgyn for a yearly check up and he checked my thyroid and now I'm taking Armour. I love this medicine. All the headaches, loss of focus, and the weight gained again is gone! I take it the same time everyday and this pill works for me!"

Anonymous December 13, 2011

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I've been on Armour for over 3 months now, and my TSH and T4 levels are only getting worse. I go to the Doctor every 3 weeks to have my blood drawn and there has been no improvement! Every time I go to the Doctor they keep having to up the dosage 30mg, and each increase I feel worse and worse. My hair has fallen out, I feel lethargic and achy all over, I can't sleep at night and when I finally do get to sleep I wind up staying in bed for 13 hours! I have no energy. "

AZGIRL, 25 August 20, 2011

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I have tried Synthroid 150mcg, felt sick and muscle pain for 4-5 years until I tried Nature-Throid. I am living a totally different life since Nature-Throid."

JO hs Lee May 30, 2011

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "Over 13 years was on different synthetic thyroid medicines. About 5 yrs ago started having problems with diarrhea, constipation, fatigue. Then two yrs ago horrible aches and pains, very low temperature. I felt I was dying. Pointed out to my doctor abnormal t3s and t4s which he never noticed. After taking every diagnostic test and even CT scans I was finally prescribed Armour thyroid. I have my life back again. Unbelievable."

Miss lily May 8, 2011

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was on Synthroid, Lexothyroxine, etc. for three years with no improvement. I complained constantly and two doctors told me to see a psychiatrist. I finally did, and she said, "you're not crazy, you need real thyroid medicine!" She put me on Armour, and I'll never use the synthetic medicines again!"

Anonymous April 28, 2011

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "This medicine seems to work the best for me...however, the old reformulated was better because the cellulose filler caused some digestive issues. "

Anonymous April 28, 2011

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "The nice thing about this medication is that it cuts well where Armour is much harder to cut (crumbles) in order to get optimal levels. Sometimes we need to add a bit extra."

Anonymous April 28, 2011

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "After several weeks I finally got the doctor to change my script to Armour Thyroid I have begun to feel better. Now I have to convince him to increase the dose. He first told me he would "get in trouble with the law" if he prescribed Armour but when I told him I would call a pharmacy to check what he said, he recanted and ordered me Armouor Thyroid 15 mg. I have had Armour on and off through my life. The lab tests were not right as they had the level ranges too high. Now I am back to square one. I am looking forward to feeling the way I should. God bless Armour Thyroid."

marsmemories April 23, 2011