User Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Also known as: Armour Thyroid, Bio-Throid, Nature-Throid, NP Thyroid, Thyroid Porcine, Westhroid

Learn more about Thyroid desiccated.

TSH Suppression 1 reviews 24 medications

Thyroid Cancer 4 reviews 16 medications

Depression 0 reviews 76 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Thyroid desiccated reviews 120 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I first took Armour Thyroid on August 9th, after my doctor said my thyroid was sluggish. I experienced a rash and itchy skin after four days. That is a normal side effect that was rectified by taking half a pill for 7 days then resuming whole pills. The rash and itchiness ended once my body was introduced to taking half a pill. It was an allergic reaction. I have already lost 6 pounds in one month. I expect to lose more and continue to experience good things from here on out with Armour Thyroid. I like that it's bioidentical and is absorbed into our system faster and better than synthetic. That is according to research."

QuickSilver September 23, 2013

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "This medicine has changed my life. After 3 courses of Levaquin for MRSA after surgery last summer I thought that the extreme fatigue, muscle pain, mental fog and joint pain that I've had were just part of aging, I'm 61, or side effects of the antibiotic. My TSH levels were in normal range, but my Naturopath saw that the free T-3 and T-4 were very low. We started Nature-Throid in late July and by August,I was starting to feel human again. It's GREAT."

lotusone2000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2013

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have had every symptom of hypothyroidism except constipation. I tried Levothyroxine for a month and nothing. I've been taking Armour for 6 weeks and I feel better but I haven't lost any weight despite totally changing my diet and exercising with cardio and strength training for at least 5 days a week. This has never been typical for me. I have been taking 60 mg of Armour Thyroid. My doctor hasn't increased this dosage fearing it will cause hypo but I cannot lose any weight and I've never been in this situation."

melissa1972 September 19, 2013

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Armour thyroid gave back my happy life."

kaloka (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2013

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "Diagnosed with mild hypothyroid a month ago. Started feeling great, but also started getting a rash all over my upper thigh, it isn't itchy or red. It's just raised like poisin oak rash. Waiting to see if it is truly the Armour causing the rash. I haven't seen many people with this side effect. I would hate to stop it (30 mg)."

Debbelite September 5, 2013

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Thyroid Cancer: "I have been taking 6 grains of Armour Thyroid for almost two years. I had thyroid cancer about six years ago. So nice to be on natural medication THAT WORKS! I feel so much better since switching to Armour. I hope more doctor's will understand that this is a viable, wonderful option for their patients."

Glampam August 1, 2013

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have been taking Armour for 1 1/2 years, lost 13 pounds, I do not need to lose weight, I feel too thin now. My joints ache, one knee has swollen, feeling tired. I also noticed that having a one beer or cocktail leaves me very ill the next day. T3 level is low so my doctor said to try two 60 mg a day (one morning/night). "

Anonymous July 20, 2013

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "After decades on Levothyroxine I was starting to feel really unwell: tiredness, memory lapses, hot flashes, inability to cope with hot weather, sleeping badly, verbal diarrhea, impulsive behavior, mental fog and constant pressure which made me want to jump out of my skin. Got very isolated and depressed, lost all creativity and felt I was barely existing. The changeover was very smooth and problem free. Two days after I started my eyesight seemed to improve drastically, as though a dirty filter had been removed. On day 5 I felt totally at peace. Mentally, physically and emotionally it was like going from monochrome to full spectrum HD. Lots of energy, no hot flashes or mental fog, sleeping well. I've got my life back!"

undine July 15, 2013

160 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "When I was Diagnosed With thyroid problems around nine years ago. My TSH was a 6.7. I was placed on Synthriod. I developed terrible headaches right from the start. The Dr. decided to switch over to Levoxyl brand. Let me tell you it has been a whirl wind of problems from tiredness, to aches and pains coming out of nowhere. I gain 50lbs in the last nine years. Constantly dieting, the gym, nothing worked. Swelling and cloudy thinking. The Dr. said my TSH was normal. Okay, just started on Armour Thyroid 60mg. Unbelievable. My aches and pains are gone. Lost five pounds in these last two weeks. Swelling is gone and I am alert! Do your homework and take charge. I finally did! " Armour changed my life"."

Cher: July 9, 2013

216 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "After college I was diagnosed with Grave's disease and they did the radioactive iodine treatment on me which completely killed my thyroid. I used to be super skinny and could eat all the time. Now I'm not one of those people who ever got big my max weight after treatment was 147lbs, which for 5"4 still wasn't "big". I however was spending 2 hours working out 5 days a week and basically living on protein shakes so I should have definitely been a lot thinner. Before the treatment I was 123lbs and to bloom up to 147lbs in a matter of 4 years. I was on Synthroid for 6 years and never felt normal. I tried Naturoid for 6 months still nothing. My new doctor put me on Armour and I couldn't be happier. I have my energy back and am down to 130lbs."

Got my life back! (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2013

156 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on dessicated Thyroid since I was diagnosed in 1999, recommended by my naturopath as superior to synthetic. My problem has been that most doctors dose based on TSH which doesn't necessarily equate to thyroid function. I was losing energy in the evening, falling asleep after meals and having a hard time losing some weight (not normal for me). I found a practitioner to monitor dosing to my symptoms and I am much better. I take 60mg in the morning and another 60mg in the afternoon and I have lots of energy and sleep when I want to. I'm still taking less than many who regularly take thyroid meds, but I feel great."

ravengrrl (taken for 10 years or more) April 3, 2013

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease and had my thyroid radiated so it no longer functions. I was started on Synthroid and I felt horrible. I was eventually prescribed all the other thyroid medicines but nothing worked well. I felt awful, I couldn't remember anything, I was exhausted and irritable all the time. Finally a Dr. prescribed me Armour and I feel almost normal again. It can be very hard to get as Dr.'s have to have a special license to prescribe it but I've been persistent and will accept no other thyroid replacement medication. "

Debra369 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2013

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was first prescribed Synthroid...Whilst my TSH levels came down to 1,9 I still had side effects, like I was permanently cold...and fatigued, as well as gained 30 pounds...I changed to Armour, and my feelings of intense cold subsided, my fatigue eased ff...and my weight is slowly coming down...My TSH level is down to 0.42! "

J9M (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 18, 2013

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I started taking Synthroid 200mrgs From 2002- Oct 2012. Because i had thyroid cancer. had both of my thyroids removed. A friend told me to try armour thyroid, and you will fill alot better. I took her advice and she gave mw the name of the Dr who will perscride armour thyroid. I been taking 90mrgs of Amour thyroid and i fill great, I can tell the difference after i took the first pill. My energy level is very high. I dont need a nap during the day."

Chill c (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2012

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I like this one as it is the most natural thyroid medication. I am constantly losing my hair but that is caused by hypothyroidism as well."

Tina822 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 9, 2012

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I had Graves disease 20 years ago and my thyroid was burned out with irradiated iodide. I was put on Synthroid daily and gained almost 80 pounds over the years. I had all the bad headaches, fatigue, water retention, brain fog etc. Finally I started working for a functional medicine doctor who specializes in bioidentical hormone treatment. I signed up and we switched me over to Armour. I have only been taking it for about a week and I am already starting to feel better. I will report back in another week to say how I am feeling. "

csoljak (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2012

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "Desiccated thyroid extract = works Cytomel Synthroid = works Synthroid/T4 only thyroid medicines = DO NOT WORK "

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2012

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I am on 60mg of Armour. I was on Cytomel and felt better. My numbers got worse so my doctor switched me to Armour. It's okay, but I still can't lose those 10 lbs. that I want to and I've never had a hard time losing weight. I get really tired at night too. I like the idea of Armour since it's been around for so long, but I just wish I could lose this weight and have a little more energy at night."

mika23 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 29, 2012

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I have been on some form of thyroid for 20 years. First I was on Armour then Synthroid. But what changed all that was my thyroid cancer diagnosis 6 months ago. They kept me on Synthroid, and never told me there was a difference. It seems to me that you need T4 and T3, which armour provides. I felt so achy after my surgery. Everyday my body hurt and I was do tired and absent minded. Also I have had weight gain. Went to a different doctor last week and have switched to Armour. We shall see. The main difference I feel so far is less body aches. That is wonderful to me!"

dnamel (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2012

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was on Synthroid for 5 yrs, when I went from 75mcgs to 125mcg I realized that the allergies were from my medicine. Swelling of the throat, losing my voice, weight gain, etc. Now because of 2 weeks on Armour I am. I am so optimistic and I feel 20 yrs younger."

T.T. February 8, 2012

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "Made me sick. Took myself off it after two weeks."

Anonymous January 25, 2012

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have been taking Armour Thryroid 60 mg/day for about 9 months and some of my symptoms of Hypothyroidism improved, however my (Jan 2012) lab tests suggested I was still low. My doctor doubled the dose to 120 mg/day. In the past, I occasionally noticed some small pimples in the area of my lower lip and chin but after two weeks on the higher dose, I started "blooming" all over my face and neck. I looked like I was suffering from a case of measles or severe acne. My doctor advised me to immediately stop the Armour. I have read a number if reports of people experiencing the same or similar allergic reaction to the changed Armour formula."

camparitonic January 14, 2012

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: "I have been taking Nature-throid for more than a year now and find it simply outstanding. I have had no allergic reaction, that I am aware of, as I had with Armour brand and synthetic thyroid (a rash). My blood test results have been quite stable. I have been able to stay on the same dose, 32.5MG, and now enjoy the peace of mind of simply taking the pill (which I crush with my teeth and allow to dissolve sublingually) and get on with my life. I should note that over the past several years I have made significant changes such as eliminating dairy, egg, and gluten from my diet, which I feel has greatly complemented any pharmaceutical benefit. An outstanding medication, Nature-throid has helped me restore vitality to my life."

danaleann January 4, 2012

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Westhroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have never had a thyroid. After trying several different medicines such as Armour & Synthroid, I was happy to get Westhroid. However, at week 4 my hair is still rough, including my facial hair (I am female, 55), energy level is low and lots of joint/muscle pain still! The adjustment phase takes SO MUCH TIME & patience but I am hopeful. Anyone without a thyroid needs all 4 thyroid hormones; T1-T4 calcitonin. Synthetics only have T4, period. I will come back in 2 weeks with an update."

softee33 January 2, 2012

For Underactive Thyroid: "Thyroid pill made me feel normal and healthy. I have lost lbs and maintained it, no more fatigue and sluggishness. "

Anonymous December 20, 2011