User Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Also known as: Armour Thyroid, Bio-Throid, Nature-Throid, NP Thyroid, Thyroid Porcine, Westhroid

Learn more about Thyroid desiccated.

TSH Suppression 1 reviews 24 medications

Depression 0 reviews 75 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Thyroid desiccated reviews 100 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Review by camparitonic:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I have been taking Armour Thryroid 60 mg/day for about 9 months and some of my symptoms of Hypothyroidism improved, however my (Jan 2012) lab tests suggested I was still low. My doctor doubled the dose to 120 mg/day. In the past, I occasionally noticed some small pimples in the area of my lower lip and chin but after two weeks on the higher dose, I started "blooming" all over my face and neck. I looked like I was suffering from a case of measles or severe acne. My doctor advised me to immediately stop the Armour. I have read a number if reports of people experiencing the same or similar allergic reaction to the changed Armour formula.

January 14, 2012 12:43 PM

Review by danaleann:

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: I have been taking Nature-throid for more than a year now and find it simply outstanding. I have had no allergic reaction, that I am aware of, as I had with Armour brand and synthetic thyroid (a rash). My blood test results have been quite stable. I have been able to stay on the same dose, 32.5MG, and now enjoy the peace of mind of simply taking the pill (which I crush with my teeth and allow to dissolve sublingually) and get on with my life. I should note that over the past several years I have made significant changes such as eliminating dairy, egg, and gluten from my diet, which I feel has greatly complemented any pharmaceutical benefit. An outstanding medication, Nature-throid has helped me restore vitality to my life.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2012 9:59 PM

Review by softee33:

Westhroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I have never had a thyroid. After trying several different medicines such as Armour & Synthroid, I was happy to get Westhroid. However, at week 4 my hair is still rough, including my facial hair (I am female, 55), energy level is low and lots of joint/muscle pain still! The adjustment phase takes SO MUCH TIME & patience but I am hopeful. Anyone without a thyroid needs all 4 thyroid hormones; T1-T4 calcitonin. Synthetics only have T4, period. I will come back in 2 weeks with an update.

January 2, 2012 1:17 PM

For Underactive Thyroid: Thyroid pill made me feel normal and healthy. I have lost lbs and maintained it, no more fatigue and sluggishness.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 20, 2011 3:08 PM

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: I found out I had an under active thyroid about 2 years ago and as a college student I found it so hard to focus in class. My doctor placed me on Synthroid and I took it for about 6 months. I had severe headaches, depression, weight gain with no weight loss in sight, and feeling tired and horrible. I went to my obgyn for a yearly check up and he checked my thyroid and now I'm taking Armour. I love this medicine. All the headaches, loss of focus, and the weight gained again is gone! I take it the same time everyday and this pill works for me!

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2011 1:20 AM

Review by AZGIRL, 25:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I've been on Armour for over 3 months now, and my TSH and T4 levels are only getting worse. I go to the Doctor every 3 weeks to have my blood drawn and there has been no improvement! Every time I go to the Doctor they keep having to up the dosage 30mg, and each increase I feel worse and worse. My hair has fallen out, I feel lethargic and achy all over, I can't sleep at night and when I finally do get to sleep I wind up staying in bed for 13 hours! I have no energy.

August 20, 2011 4:36 PM

Review by JO hs Lee:

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: I have tried Synthroid 150mcg, felt sick and muscle pain for 4-5 years until I tried Nature-Throid. I am living a totally different life since Nature-Throid.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 30, 2011 9:35 PM

Review by Miss lily:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: Over 13 years was on different synthetic thyroid medicines. About 5 yrs ago started having problems with diarrhea, constipation, fatigue. Then two yrs ago horrible aches and pains, very low temperature. I felt I was dying. Pointed out to my doctor abnormal t3s and t4s which he never noticed. After taking every diagnostic test and even CT scans I was finally prescribed Armour thyroid. I have my life back again. Unbelievable.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 8, 2011 8:44 PM

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I was on Synthroid, Lexothyroxine, etc. for three years with no improvement. I complained constantly and two doctors told me to see a psychiatrist. I finally did, and she said, "you're not crazy, you need real thyroid medicine!" She put me on Armour, and I'll never use the synthetic medicines again!

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 28, 2011 1:11 PM

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: This medicine seems to work the best for me...however, the old reformulated was better because the cellulose filler caused some digestive issues.

April 28, 2011 12:27 PM

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: The nice thing about this medication is that it cuts well where Armour is much harder to cut (crumbles) in order to get optimal levels. Sometimes we need to add a bit extra.

April 28, 2011 12:21 PM

Review by marsmemories:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: After several weeks I finally got the doctor to change my script to Armour Thyroid I have begun to feel better. Now I have to convince him to increase the dose. He first told me he would "get in trouble with the law" if he prescribed Armour but when I told him I would call a pharmacy to check what he said, he recanted and ordered me Armouor Thyroid 15 mg. I have had Armour on and off through my life. The lab tests were not right as they had the level ranges too high. Now I am back to square one. I am looking forward to feeling the way I should. God bless Armour Thyroid.

April 23, 2011 10:33 PM

Review by beachkid7:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: With both parents hypothyroid, I was diagnosed hypothyroid at 7 years old, so have 50 years of personal experience with thyroid medicines. Armour Thyroid is absolutely the best in my opinion. Doctors tried to "fool my body" with assorted synthetic products, but my system (& Mom's) did not do the T3-T4 conversion. On top of the usual problems of being functionally underdosed I developed worse results: thrombocytopenia (critically low platelets), high cholesterol, inability to metabolize calcium leading to lower bone density than my own mother. On Synthroid one Internal Medicine doctor even wondered if I had Hashimoto's Disease. Use Armour. Treat the patient.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2011 9:28 AM

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: This medicine makes me feel like I'm going to explode. It makes me nervous and I have difficulty sleeping.

March 5, 2011 1:17 PM

Review by brownturtle:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: 1 year ago my MD put me on Synthroid and after 3 months I had so much pain in my legs, I stopped taking it and my pain went away. I discovered Armour thyroid and it made such a difference in the way I felt.

January 26, 2011 5:34 PM

Review by Vdunsel:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: After years of levothyroxine, I never felt any improvement. After a little research, I requested a trial of natural thyroid. I felt improvement quickly. When I was assigned a new doctor, she refused to continue the natural thyroid and put me back on the synthetic. Needless to say, I went back to feeling blah. A new doctor was willing to work with me and natural thyroid, and the mind fogs are gone! I feel "normal" once again!

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 9, 2010 9:35 PM

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I had several side effects from Synthroid that I thought I just had to try and live with in order to treat my hypothyroidism. After starting Nature-Throid, the side effects were gone and I noticed an improvement with all of my symptoms. Today, I feel the best I have felt in 20 years. The difference is truly amazing to me. I didn't think I had any other options until Nature-Throid was suggested, I am so thankful for this medicine.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2010 9:07 AM

Review by lorevale1988:

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: Started taking Nature-Throid and haven't had any changes. Added Cytomel and are hoping this does something.

August 23, 2010 9:56 AM

Review by Jameyrenee:

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: I was on Synthroid and Cytomel for many years but my symptoms were never alleviated until I started Nature-Throid. I'm most pleased that my depression and foggy headiness were gone shortly after starting it. I continue to see improvements in my energy levels and weight loss.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 1, 2010 1:11 AM

Review by gigisdiamonds:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I and 3 other family members that have low thyroid and all have found this works best. However at this time we are unable to get any and have been put on Synthroid.

April 20, 2010 3:22 PM

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: I was on Synthroid for 1 1/2 years I gained 10 pounds and had anxiety. For the first year I had full trust in my doctor, but later I was not feeling right. I had memory fogs, anxiety, and my weight was a problem. I used to be a size 4 and now I am a size 12. That alone was depressing. I took charge and researched Hashimotos Disease. I later told my doctor that I wanted to go on Armour and that I was done with Synthroid. He said okay and put me on a 60mg 30mg because he thought we would have to adjust it. Well here I am a year later taking 60mg 30mg and 10 pounds less without working out.

133 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 7, 2010 2:09 PM

Review by Ladyartist:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: Great news! I just talked with Forest Labs (manufacturer of Armour Thyroid). They updated their manufacturing equipment and changed formulation by increasing dextrose and decreasing cellulose. The dessicated thyroid stayed the same, even though they have trouble getting it. However, the pills now are very difficult to cut in half (they crumble). I do great on Armour and had a severe allergic reaction to synthetic hormones. I don't like the new formulation as much because I cut my pills in half, but it's better than synthetic. Hope this information helps.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2010 6:11 PM

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: Great med if you can get it. The back order crapola struck right at the beginning of my treatment with it. I noticed right away relief in symptoms with it. I now take a combo of Westhroid and Nature-throid. Synthroid, Levoxyl gave me hell with side effects! Cytomel gave me vertigo, the naturals are GREAT!(Hashi's/hypo) worked up to 4 grains now.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 12, 2010 5:17 PM

Westhroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I've been on a combination of Westhroid and Nature-throid due to the shortages for a couple months now. Gradually been upping the dose and FINALLY today after yesterdays increase my abdominal bloating is down! I've been afraid to "up" my dose in fear of not getting enough supply. But the bloating was so bad- none of my clothes fit -and I looked 8 months pregnant that and other non abating symptoms forced me to up one more grain and voila! Now, the other fear is will my doctor "freak" out? last labs showed low end free T's and a very suppressed TSH- which as we know makes dr's go nutty. But it does appear Westhroid is a bit easier to get.

March 12, 2010 5:13 PM

Review by rose63:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I had used Armour Thyroid 5yrs. ago. I had bowl surgery, which really messed my whole body up. I stopped it. Now, I started Armour Thyroid back up, seems, I cannot be without it. I got sick, and continue to do so, if I cannot get this medication. I get more sick, if I get synthroid, and the other thyroid meds. However, with Armour Thyroid, It already has the t3 and t4 for me, so my body will not break down the synthroid or other thyroid meds, as with Armour Thyroid, its a God send. Now, I got a pharmacy thats using a compound to make my 30mg for me in a capsule format. I feel I need my 60mg back as I was on 5yrs. ago. I feel the capsules compound isnt right or not as strong, seems I need more to make me feel better.

February 13, 2010 5:52 PM