User Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Also known as: Armour Thyroid, Bio-Throid, Nature-Throid, NP Thyroid, Thyroid Porcine, Westhroid

Learn more about Thyroid desiccated.

TSH Suppression 1 reviews 24 medications

7.3
Depression 0 reviews 75 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Thyroid desiccated reviews 92 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I was on Synthroid, Lexothyroxine, etc. for three years with no improvement. I complained constantly and two doctors told me to see a psychiatrist. I finally did, and she said, "you're not crazy, you need real thyroid medicine!" She put me on Armour, and I'll never use the synthetic medicines again!

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 28, 2011 1:11 PM

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: This medicine seems to work the best for me...however, the old reformulated was better because the cellulose filler caused some digestive issues.

April 28, 2011 12:27 PM

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: The nice thing about this medication is that it cuts well where Armour is much harder to cut (crumbles) in order to get optimal levels. Sometimes we need to add a bit extra.

April 28, 2011 12:21 PM

Review by marsmemories:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: After several weeks I finally got the doctor to change my script to Armour Thyroid I have begun to feel better. Now I have to convince him to increase the dose. He first told me he would "get in trouble with the law" if he prescribed Armour but when I told him I would call a pharmacy to check what he said, he recanted and ordered me Armouor Thyroid 15 mg. I have had Armour on and off through my life. The lab tests were not right as they had the level ranges too high. Now I am back to square one. I am looking forward to feeling the way I should. God bless Armour Thyroid.

April 23, 2011 10:33 PM

Review by beachkid7:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: With both parents hypothyroid, I was diagnosed hypothyroid at 7 years old, so have 50 years of personal experience with thyroid medicines. Armour Thyroid is absolutely the best in my opinion. Doctors tried to "fool my body" with assorted synthetic products, but my system (& Mom's) did not do the T3-T4 conversion. On top of the usual problems of being functionally underdosed I developed worse results: thrombocytopenia (critically low platelets), high cholesterol, inability to metabolize calcium leading to lower bone density than my own mother. On Synthroid one Internal Medicine doctor even wondered if I had Hashimoto's Disease. Use Armour. Treat the patient.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2011 9:28 AM

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: This medicine makes me feel like I'm going to explode. It makes me nervous and I have difficulty sleeping.

March 5, 2011 1:17 PM

Review by brownturtle:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: 1 year ago my MD put me on Synthroid and after 3 months I had so much pain in my legs, I stopped taking it and my pain went away. I discovered Armour thyroid and it made such a difference in the way I felt.

January 26, 2011 5:34 PM

Review by Vdunsel:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: After years of levothyroxine, I never felt any improvement. After a little research, I requested a trial of natural thyroid. I felt improvement quickly. When I was assigned a new doctor, she refused to continue the natural thyroid and put me back on the synthetic. Needless to say, I went back to feeling blah. A new doctor was willing to work with me and natural thyroid, and the mind fogs are gone! I feel "normal" once again!

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 9, 2010 9:35 PM

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I had several side effects from Synthroid that I thought I just had to try and live with in order to treat my hypothyroidism. After starting Nature-Throid, the side effects were gone and I noticed an improvement with all of my symptoms. Today, I feel the best I have felt in 20 years. The difference is truly amazing to me. I didn't think I had any other options until Nature-Throid was suggested, I am so thankful for this medicine.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2010 9:07 AM

Review by lorevale1988:

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: Started taking Nature-Throid and haven't had any changes. Added Cytomel and are hoping this does something.

August 23, 2010 9:56 AM

Review by Jameyrenee:

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: I was on Synthroid and Cytomel for many years but my symptoms were never alleviated until I started Nature-Throid. I'm most pleased that my depression and foggy headiness were gone shortly after starting it. I continue to see improvements in my energy levels and weight loss.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 1, 2010 1:11 AM

Review by gigisdiamonds:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I and 3 other family members that have low thyroid and all have found this works best. However at this time we are unable to get any and have been put on Synthroid.

April 20, 2010 3:22 PM

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: I was on Synthroid for 1 1/2 years I gained 10 pounds and had anxiety. For the first year I had full trust in my doctor, but later I was not feeling right. I had memory fogs, anxiety, and my weight was a problem. I used to be a size 4 and now I am a size 12. That alone was depressing. I took charge and researched Hashimotos Disease. I later told my doctor that I wanted to go on Armour and that I was done with Synthroid. He said okay and put me on a 60mg 30mg because he thought we would have to adjust it. Well here I am a year later taking 60mg 30mg and 10 pounds less without working out.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 7, 2010 2:09 PM

Review by Ladyartist:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: Great news! I just talked with Forest Labs (manufacturer of Armour Thyroid). They updated their manufacturing equipment and changed formulation by increasing dextrose and decreasing cellulose. The dessicated thyroid stayed the same, even though they have trouble getting it. However, the pills now are very difficult to cut in half (they crumble). I do great on Armour and had a severe allergic reaction to synthetic hormones. I don't like the new formulation as much because I cut my pills in half, but it's better than synthetic. Hope this information helps.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2010 6:11 PM

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: Great med if you can get it. The back order crapola struck right at the beginning of my treatment with it. I noticed right away relief in symptoms with it. I now take a combo of Westhroid and Nature-throid. Synthroid, Levoxyl gave me hell with side effects! Cytomel gave me vertigo, the naturals are GREAT!(Hashi's/hypo) worked up to 4 grains now.

March 12, 2010 5:17 PM

Westhroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I've been on a combination of Westhroid and Nature-throid due to the shortages for a couple months now. Gradually been upping the dose and FINALLY today after yesterdays increase my abdominal bloating is down! I've been afraid to "up" my dose in fear of not getting enough supply. But the bloating was so bad- none of my clothes fit -and I looked 8 months pregnant that and other non abating symptoms forced me to up one more grain and voila! Now, the other fear is will my doctor "freak" out? last labs showed low end free T's and a very suppressed TSH- which as we know makes dr's go nutty. But it does appear Westhroid is a bit easier to get.

March 12, 2010 5:13 PM

Review by rose63:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I had used Armour Thyroid 5yrs. ago. I had bowl surgery, which really messed my whole body up. I stopped it. Now, I started Armour Thyroid back up, seems, I cannot be without it. I got sick, and continue to do so, if I cannot get this medication. I get more sick, if I get synthroid, and the other thyroid meds. However, with Armour Thyroid, It already has the t3 and t4 for me, so my body will not break down the synthroid or other thyroid meds, as with Armour Thyroid, its a God send. Now, I got a pharmacy thats using a compound to make my 30mg for me in a capsule format. I feel I need my 60mg back as I was on 5yrs. ago. I feel the capsules compound isnt right or not as strong, seems I need more to make me feel better.

February 13, 2010 5:52 PM

Review by EileenJ:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I am very sad that this is not available right now. It greatly improved my quality of life.

January 13, 2010 12:42 AM

Review by fromthemomma:

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I can't take Synthroid and am allergic to the fillers in Armour. Nature Throid is hypoallergenic and has both T3 and T4 so it works really well for me.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 2, 2010 2:32 AM

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I had trouble getting Armour brand too. I found a local pharmacy that carries a generic desiccated thyroid pill. It works just as well (for me) and it's very economical.

December 31, 2009 9:22 AM

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: I called Forrest Pharmaceuticals and the customer service rep told me they are NOT planning on discontinuing, but they are having trouble getting enough of the active ingredients (pig thyroid) to meet demand. Thank you "Swine Flu" for causing people to be afraid to consume pork. I feared this would happen when the scare about swine flu first hit the news.

December 22, 2009 11:17 PM

Review by C.LYLLY:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: To everyone who is going through what I am going through - no Armour Thyroid medication! I've searched high and low for the medication with everyone telling me iIhave no choice but to try something different and my reply to the different pharmacies was I have been on every other thyroid medication there is, and they don't work! Well Thank God for my pharmacist Greg over at Riteaid he said there was a pharmacy in Beverly, Ma who will make my medication pills of AZrmour thyroid which is a little bit pricier 80.00 for the 90mg tablets of which I take 2 x 90mgs a day so 60 tablets for $80 so if you can find a pharmacy in your area that makes compounds you will be all set!

November 28, 2009 12:29 PM

Review by joannyadoptees:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: I was on Synthroid for 18 months. Couldn't walk, because of water retention so after reading about Armour decided to try it. The doctor didn't want to prescribe it. However, I insisted, and he gave it to me. Wow what a difference , within two days. All the water retention the Synthroid caused was gone and I am now on it for years. So glad I got my life back.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 28, 2009 11:16 AM

Review by cancer51:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: After I gained 60 lbs in a 3 month period approximately 8 years ago, it was determined that I had Hypothyroidism. I was given Synthroid which stopped the weight gain, however, I have never felt quite right even though my TSH and T3/T4 would to be normal. My hands and feet were always cold, my eyebrows were very thin, always tired, etc, etc. I started taking Armour Thyroid about 4 months ago and feel terrific. I have even started losing weight (15 lbs so far). I am worried that I have been having problems trying to fill my prescription lately. Please tell me that they are not going to discontinue Armour Thyroid?? I am getting several different explanations as to why it is not readily available.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2009 12:11 AM

Review by Former Armour User:

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: Was diagnosed as hypothyroid and started immediately on Armour. Actually gained weight on it, despite strict diet and exercise. Always felt very bloated in abdomen while taking it and still felt tired. During the time I was on it, they reformulated it and I felt even worse. Switched over to a combination of Levoxyl and Cytomel. Felt more energetic and even lost a bit of the weight. Armour may work well for some but it just didn't do anything for me.

November 3, 2009 4:44 PM