User Reviews for Lamisil

Learn more about Lamisil.

Lamisil Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Onychomycosis, Toenail.

Reviews for Lamisil to treat Onychomycosis, Toenail

"Took this drug a few years ago and it worked great. I had fungus in 3 of my toenails initially (and had it for a few years before trying this). They all cleared up after use of lamisil for 12 weeks. I had no side effects. But, within about a year, fungus developed again on my big toe (unless it never cured?). I'm taking lamisil again but I'm only 4 weeks in and I've gotten terrible headaches and pretty bad itching. I'm not sure if I will be able to go through a second round of the stuff at my 6 week checkin. I still think I'd recommend it because it did get rid of fungus on two toe nails but I'm not sure if the side effects would be too off putting for some."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2016

"This medicine does work. I took it for about a month before I had a really bad reaction though. I had an itchy hive looking rash and it turned into welts all over my body including my face. My eyes swelled up and were really puffy too. I wish I could've stayed on the medicine for the 3 month period because it does work I have a clean toenail growing in but I had to stop the medicine so hopefully it stays that way. If you develop a reaction or an allergy to this it really sucks but it does work. I recommend not missing a day and always taking it at the same time everyday. I took it everyday when I woke up but I got sick and stopped taking it for a couple days, coincidentally when I started taking it again the reaction happened."

Sbls February 2, 2016

"I have had a toenail fungus for 10 years on 1 big toenail. I finally decided to try the generic Lamisil after refusing to take it from hearing about possible liver damage. After taking it for 2 weeks I developed an itchy, red, bumpy rash on my back, chest, and neck. I am now using a prescription steroid cream on my skin for the next 2 weeks to help with this rash! I guess there's no hope in getting rid of this fungus. My dermatologist said to try Vick's Vaporub everyday 2x day to see if that helps..."

Amy J. January 20, 2016

"Took the pill form for 3 months. It worked beautifully. No noticeable side effects. I can wear sandals, etc. Couldn't even think of doing that for the past 5 years."

Stretch18 January 20, 2016

"I just started taking Terbinafine and its been almost a week. I was wondering if using Tea Tree oil will affect me while taking the pills? Any help please?"

Lizbeth. (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2016

"It took me 1.5 mos to work up courage to take Lamisil because of all the horrendous side effects I read about. I finally took it for 90 days with no horrible side effects. If I took it too close to drinking coffee or eating my beloved chocolate it made me nauseous. So I took it right b4 bed. Near the end of the 2nd month I started itching in various places really bad. I finished treatment wondering why I was so scared. Now just waiting for slow toenails to grow out."

MaNa2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2015

"After having taken this drug for 2 months, I got an awful, foul taste in my mouth and could not have anything touch my tongue without gagging and a feeling of something in my throat after visiting 5 doctors who just looked at me like I was crazy and never heard of anything like that one said it was the medication. I stopped taking it on Nov 2 this is Dec 1 and I still cannot eat or drink anything other than water. I have lost about 25 pounds. It is making me weak and tired and have no quality of life at this point. I no longer care about the toenail fungus I have been so sick with the taste, smell problem that the toenail problem is the very least of my worries. Missed Thanksgiving and hoping I won't miss Christmas. Don't take it!!"

grandma Sherry December 1, 2015

"I took the generic form for 3 months last January-March. Of four badly infected toes (the others had it too, but it wasn't super obvious) one cleared up right away during treatment, and the big toe has taken forever but is growing in normally. There is still 1/8 inch yucky nail at the top of the big toenail, but the new part looks good. This is almost a year later! My two little toenails still looked pretty bad until about a month ago, when I realized they were about 75% improved and still continue to improve. I had no side effects at all. My doctor told me to apply topical lamisil EVERY DAY for the rest of my life to keep this from coming back, and to throw out ALL footwear and replace it during treatment, so I did."

Cheniqua (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2015

"I found the pill very effective. Took it every day for 3 months and by the time I had completed the treatment a new healthy nail had completely grown out. However, within weeks the fungus returned and a the nail became yellow and brittle again. Huge disappointment. At least I didn't have any bad side effects."

Lkdj (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2015

"You won't see results for about 2 months after you start taking it but be patient it works. You might have to refill 1-3 times and go about six months between them but it does works. It takes time. The first time it killed about 30% then the second time about 30% now on the third round almost gone."

Giveittime September 26, 2015

"Update. Its been 1 year 6 months when I first tried the generic brand of Lamisil" ( you can read my story in past comments) I was on the medication for 3 months. I can say my 9 toes are clear , one big toe 98% clear . Just do it!!. Can wear sandals now, walk the beach barefoot with my girlfriend, no more embarrassment."

Hapy camper (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2015

"I've been taking lamisil for 10 days and I haven't really seen a difference I have two nails infected on 1 foot (little toes). I was wondering if the people that have cured their infection how long did it take to see improvements? A little more detail on what nails looked like before. In my case my nail lifted on the nailbed and turned white since a year my nail has barely grown and when it does it's covered by white fungus at the cuticle so basically no toenail since a year, other toe just got infected I also have blisters and the toe its self is peeling and I see white mouldish looking spots around toenail anyone have this same fungus?"

IHatefungus (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2015

"The doctor put me on Lamisil back March, I had to see another doctor about a different problem, he looked at my feet and told me to stop taking Lamisil (a big mistake), he felt that the medication had cleared up my foot problem. He put me on a cream foot infection that did not work to improve the infection, when He realized that the cream wasn't working. The doctor told me to see an dermatologist which I did, and he did not help, more creams that did not stop the infection. So now, I'm back on Lamisil, my first time on it was one month, and the foot infection was worse back in March, I do hope that it will clear up the foot infection completely this time. Also, I'm seeing a PA , not a MD."

1951/11 August 25, 2015

"Took it religiously for a year. Had toenail fungus on all ten toes for probably the last 10 years. It took awhile for the nail to grow out, but I kept them clean and dry and scrubbed daily in the shower. My feet have not looked this good in 10 years. It's a slow recovery but it works"

Stephen LA August 13, 2015

"Works great been on it 2 1/2 months my toenails are not yellow anymore only the ends are a little bit. Had toenail fungus for 15 years they where thick and yellow had to file them a lot. Tryed everything to try to make it go away. I am on the generic brand of lamsil. Side effects just watery poop for two weeks nothing more. My feet are not dry anymore there soft. I can wear sandals now without wearing fake toenails or finger nail polish. When on this file the nail down to get the fungus and keep doing it use a different file each time don't wear socks to long keep your feet clean."

sugerplum31 August 5, 2015

"I have been taking Lamisil for about 2 months. I have had toenail fungus for about 4 years. The fungus has been very slow growing. Which is why I think that I haven't seen any physical change yet. The fungus is on 4 of my 10 toes. I think that it is spreading to the other ones. I am hoping that I will see some change in the next months. I have heard it takes longer for the worse cases to heal. Oh, and I have had no side effects besides after I take it the first time after a break (I am on pulse dosage) I have a little upset stomach. Nothing too bad though."

Freebird99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2015

"I have been on the generic of lamisil (terbinafine) for 3 months and have about a week left. My toenails (4 severely affected, the rest just with a slight yellow tint) appear to be growing in clear. I declined this medication for years because I had read about possible bad side effects. I have had zero side effects with this medication and am kicking myself for putting up with years of embarrassment. I would definitely recommend it. The only bummer was not being able to drink for 3 months, but it appears to be worth it!"

L.Lisie April 6, 2015

"Got athlete's foot in a college shower back in 1992. It spread to my toenails shortly after, and I tried everything to get rid of it or hide it. It only affected my left foot, but my big toe was horrible. It was three times thicker than normal and really nasty. My best way of covering it up was duct tape claiming I banged it on something. I have taken Lamisil for a little over 30 days and the nails are all clearing up and the big toe looks amazing. I have dealt with this issue for over 20 years and am thrilled that it will no longer be an embarrassment. I would have given it a '10', but a bout of insomnia mixed with some really strange dreams took a point away."

THEE Chap (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2015

"I have had this infection of the toenails for about 12 years. Ugh! so embarrassed to ask the doctor I have gone through the misery of not ever wearing sandals or open toed high heels. I work in an office environment and would love to wear sandals with some of my outfits. I recently went to the dr and I finally told her that I have toenail fungus and she easily wrote me a prescription for Lamisil. I started taking it about a week now and have not seen any changes but I will definately give it time and check in and give my review again in the next few weeks!"

Just Beginning Treatment (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2015

"I used Lamisil for 3 months and it cleared up my big toe perfectly...........Now my other foot has it on its big toe so Yes You betcha I am going on another 3 month dose. It really works."

Sweetdee33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2015

"Taking the generic brand of Lamisil All 10 toes infected with toenail fungus more than 8yrs . Some extremely thick others discolored and some even cracked 1st month discoloration was the first thing to Clear up also any athletes foot cleared up immediately 2nd month The thickness in nails has started to disappear 3rd month have noticed the bottom half of the nails have come in clear on a few of the nails Note dr. recommended after showering to clean out the bottom of the toenails then let them dry fully then file them down slightly this has really improved the look of my toenails My insurance covered the cost of the generic brand which is less than five dollars a month"

Venus 48 March 7, 2015

"Update from last year when I started treatment in February. Little toes on both feet clear , the bigger toes on both feet 70% clear and let my say I'm very satisfied with the results so far , from a worst condition to a moderate one is big for me, thank you so much for restoring a quality of life back to me."

Happy camper (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 23, 2015

"I started taking the generic of Lamisil several weeks ago for the awful fungus on all of my toes. I had previously taken this drug years ago with no side effects, however this time after two weeks I had stomach cramps and everything tasted weird. I continued to take it minimal symptoms until I had two pills left. I started having stomach pain again and a terrible backache. I went to the doctor and had blood tested again and kidney and liver tested o.k. I was diagnosed with a UTI and told to discontinue the terbinafine. I took an antibiotic (ciprofloxacn) but didn't feel any better. Now taking Amoxicillin, however my back still aches constantly. I am a 65 year old female."

Fungusamungus (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2015

"I have had this condition for YEARS. With no progress using any other meds. LAMISIL cleared it up COMPLETELY in 2 months. The doctor warned that it could take up to 6 months to a year to see any results but thankfully it was way less time then predicted."

jennoriah January 11, 2015

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started in July, it's been 3 months. I have had the foot issue for years, so I suspect it will take some time to heal. I do see proper coloring showing up at the bottom of the nail, so I am hopeful. The new clear part looks good. It's too bad that it is probably going to take a year for the entire nail to show up correctly. I have had no side effects, and if I had a loss of appetite or taste, I would be incredibly happy that the medicine would solve two problems at once. Cost-wise, I think that the entire bottle will last the full time."

Punkie44 November 8, 2014