User Reviews for Terbinafine

Also known as: Lamisil, Terbinex

Learn more about Terbinafine.

Terbinafine Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 24 medications used in the treatment of Onychomycosis, Toenail.

Reviews for Terbinafine to treat Onychomycosis, Toenail

"5 weeks now and minor rash covering 70% of body. No results to report to date. It's a wait and see. Will visit dr. Taking 1 / 250 mg / day for 45 days. ."

PHILBEE (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

"My Mom took this. Make sure you have your liver checked often while on this med. I mean every week. My Dad is sitting here telling me how she suffered while on this med. She did not know how much she need to have her liver checked while taking it."

Louise Mandrell April 18, 2016

"Starting my 10th week tomorrow. Out of 9 nails 3 halfway cleared up, 4 with some results, and 2 with barely noticeable results. 0 side affects as of the 2nd month. My doctor doesn't wanna prescribe me another 3 months, he says it's bad for the liver. I will be taking opinions from a few doctors to get the best results. With this pill there's nothing for you to do then wait for it to clear up. Just clean your feet at least once a day/shower and you'll be good to go. NYC."

Brooklyn NY (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2016

"25 yr old female; I've been on it for about 1.5 months now and I haven't had any side effects (that I'm aware of). As of the past few weeks I've noticed uninfected nail growing out - yay! The nail is growing slower than the others, so it could take a while."

Kristin /25 April 14, 2016

Lamisil (terbinafine): "Best advice:1.Get prescription pills & continue until side effects are unbearable,that product will clear it up best & fastest,Then switch to prescription polish. 2.Go buy electric nail file w attachments, keep thinnest & short as possible. 3.Change socks morning/night. 4.Don't share nail tools! 5. Sally's has professional liquid cleaner, blue stuff lasts year! 6.Clean infected toes PM before changing socks. 7.i switched from pills to medicated polish because of headaches & after 7 months my toe nail is clear & growing at a similar rate to others. I've read & tried all the tricks. If u follow these instructions DAILY it WILL clear up but your looking at a year. Add Epsom Salt 2 minute soak, 2-3x wk, plug bath sink,put foot in."

Best advice I wish I was told! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 9, 2016

"i regret taking this. Have been signed off work for almost two weeks. My side affects are Numbness and parasthaesia down one side of my body.. My leg felt like it was seizing up. I'm still getting problems with my muscles in my knee I have no energy to go out the house. It is poison!!!!!! I can't wait to feel normal again."

Leen7 (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2016

"If this can help one person get the courage to get on this medication, then it is worth it. I suffered from this for over 5 year. It killed my self esteem & gave me anxiety. I was scared to take medicine because of all the side effects I read about online. When I first started medication (September) I had a slight metal taste in my mouth and general dizziness at times. The taste went away after a few weeks. I didn't drink any alcohol for the 3 month, and I stayed fairly active at the gym. (no alcohol was hard, but I was scared to risk liver damage) it is now April, and my nails are normal. It is so amazing to not have to worry about such a gross problem. Don't be scared of reviews online. Everyone is different."

Pink1234 April 8, 2016

"After a month of taking this for a toenail infection I got a very bad rash over my entire body. It spread so quickly and became painful so I went to the ER where they confirmed it was a reaction to terbinafine. I went to a dermatologist who gave me a shot and put me on prednisone for 30 days and gave me some corticosteroid cream. After three weeks and merciless skin peeling my skin is almost back to normal. I was not able to take it long enough to help my toenails. I cannot recommend this medicine."

Courierman (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2016

"Started nov, it's now the end of March. 37y F 135lbs Suffered on one foot only almost 20 yrs. In the first month I'd get itchy spells but wasn't worried as this is a sign of Candida die off. I have IBD so maybe I had stomach upset as a side effect but it was nothing out of the ordinary for me so didn't notice. I didn't see any difference at first and was worried I'd be one of the unlucky ones with no change. After two months I noticed they hadn't itched in a while and they weren't getting thick. Though I saw no other difference I kept on taking them regularly since my liver tests were all ok. Dr checked them at 3mo and decided to keep me on another 3. Just in the last couple of weeks I noticed that half my big toe looked NORMAL! So happy!"

Hell'sBelle (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2016

"I was prescribed 3 months worth of the pills but it only 50% cleared up so they prescribed another 3 months, and now it is 80% clear. I have one week left on the medication and then I will just pray that the remaining 20% that is infected grows out. The doctor said you could stop taking the med when it was 90% clear - so 80% - 90% meh hopefully it will all be good. Fingers crossed. In terms of side effects. I usually always get the most typical side effects with any drug. So I had insomnia which I mitigated by taking this in the morning. A stuffy nose. And some issues with my mood."

Hercules21 March 26, 2016

"I've been taking turbinafin for almost three months. I have very bad fungus in all toes for around ten years now. I am now seeing lessening of the yellowed nails but still a long way to go. I've had no side effects at all. Would recommend it to anyone wishing to once again wear sandals and clear toenails."

My yellow nails March 20, 2016

"I'm on it for the 5th week and I already see results on 2 out of the 9 infected nails. Side affects as of now is fowl smelling yellow pee. NYC."

Brooklyn NY (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

Lamisil (terbinafine): "I had toe nail fungus on one nail. Took lamisil one month. Was supposed to take 3 months but i had a GI bleed and went to hospial 3 days. Got colonscope & sent home. 6 days later back to hospital, got c-diff infection, in hospial 5 days. Home in bed sick as dog 3 weeks. Got thrush on tongue. Lost tastebuds and everything including water taste nasty! Have lost 25 pounds because cant eat. Weak, tired and miss eatting food. I didnt know about the side affects or i wouldn't have taken this drug. I now believe it was responsible for all my medical problems. It is going to take a long time to get over the c-diff. My quality of life has gone down. I am 58 yr. old female who has had bad drug reactions all my life. Rather have toenail fungus. "

Vikkib58 March 3, 2016

"I've had fungus on 9 toe nails for around 12 year. Started Terbinafine 3 weeks ago and so far no results with minor left eye pain and minor mood swings. There's a doctor in my neighborhood that does laser with only taking cash :/ A family member did it and it worked much faster then just pills and much safer. I'll keep you guys posted. NYC"

Brooklyn NY February 27, 2016

"The most horrific side effects one could ever possibly imagine , constipation , insomnia , total energy loss , muscle wastage aching joints. yuk yuk Think i should sue the manufacturer"

antiterbinafine (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2016

"After 6 weeks of taking Terbinafine I've developed a foul taste in my mouth which I can't get rid of. Everything tastes horrible, I've lost weight and am feeling depressed. It's been 11 days since I stopped taking the pills. I've read it should go away after 2-5 weeks, but in rare cases it is permanent. I'm so hoping taste returns to normal soon, I'm going on holiday in a week and it will be ruined if this continues - as will my life be if it's permanent! My toenail wasn't even that bad, I wish I'd never taken this."

Sas55 February 10, 2016

Lamisil (terbinafine): "Took this drug a few years ago and it worked great. I had fungus in 3 of my toenails initially (and had it for a few years before trying this). They all cleared up after use of lamisil for 12 weeks. I had no side effects. But, within about a year, fungus developed again on my big toe (unless it never cured?). I'm taking lamisil again but I'm only 4 weeks in and I've gotten terrible headaches and pretty bad itching. I'm not sure if I will be able to go through a second round of the stuff at my 6 week checkin. I still think I'd recommend it because it did get rid of fungus on two toe nails but I'm not sure if the side effects would be too off putting for some."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2016

"I started to take terbinafine for toenail fungus and finger nail fungus, I had it in both big toe nails and thumb nails around the sides. I had to have a liver function test first to check I was able to take it. I took it for about 3-4 months can't remember exactly now! I have now been finished from the course for 4 months. My thumb nails are nearly grown back clear! And my toe nails are slightly behind but are doing well, there are no signs of the nail fungal still growing, just the nail needs to replace its self clear now. So all in all I have had good results from it, I had no side affects from the tablets, although I was advised not to drink alcohol whilst taking them, which I didn't. So good results! Don't be scared to take it!"

Lauretta2 February 4, 2016

Lamisil (terbinafine): "This medicine does work. I took it for about a month before I had a really bad reaction though. I had an itchy hive looking rash and it turned into welts all over my body including my face. My eyes swelled up and were really puffy too. I wish I could've stayed on the medicine for the 3 month period because it does work I have a clean toenail growing in but I had to stop the medicine so hopefully it stays that way. If you develop a reaction or an allergy to this it really sucks but it does work. I recommend not missing a day and always taking it at the same time everyday. I took it everyday when I woke up but I got sick and stopped taking it for a couple days, coincidentally when I started taking it again the reaction happened."

Sbls February 2, 2016

"I've had a fungal toe infection for 3 and half years tried several paints never worked. ..so I got a liver test done first so that I can take this medication. ..so far I've had no side effects. ..only a week in only got a months supply so here's hoping it's long enough to work"

Jambobabe (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2016

"I took the drug orally. I experienced a return of bladder discomfort called Interstitial Cystitis and had to stop taking it after 8 days. The bladder side effects gradually went away, but I had to take Elmiron to heal. The drug is too strong."

ruta January 29, 2016

"I'd had a toenail infection on my little toe for over 10 years but in the last year it spread to my big toe and also to one of my wife's toes so it was time to challenge this thing once and for all. I considered the various creams but these are fiddly, take time to apply and are expensive so I opted for Terbinafine. I was aware that some people experience side effect however the only minor side effect I got was mild diarrhoea in the first couple of days as my body adjusted to the tablet. After this everything was fine. In total I was prescribed 42 tablets on 3 occasions, therefore took them for just over 4 months and I am delighted to report that both affected toenails are no perfectly pink again with all the fungus grown out."

4PetesSake (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2016

"Absolutely awful side effects for me after taking for just 6 days. Insomnia (it's 4am and I'm wide awake right now, if that tells you anything), diarrhea and vomiting (both of which I had within the past hour), and exacerbating my pre-existing depression and anxiety, inducing a very negative generalised sense of unease and dysphoria. What's more, apparently it takes months and months to get this poison out of your system entirely, even after taking it for just a few days. If I can deter just one person out there from starting this medication, it's worth it: this drug is the stuff of nightmares and should be pulled from the market. Buyer beware, it's not worth the risk. Read all the negative reviews out there."

jstar33 (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

Lamisil (terbinafine): "I have had a toenail fungus for 10 years on 1 big toenail. I finally decided to try the generic Lamisil after refusing to take it from hearing about possible liver damage. After taking it for 2 weeks I developed an itchy, red, bumpy rash on my back, chest, and neck. I am now using a prescription steroid cream on my skin for the next 2 weeks to help with this rash! I guess there's no hope in getting rid of this fungus. My dermatologist said to try Vick's Vaporub everyday 2x day to see if that helps..."

Amy J. January 20, 2016

Lamisil (terbinafine): "Took the pill form for 3 months. It worked beautifully. No noticeable side effects. I can wear sandals, etc. Couldn't even think of doing that for the past 5 years."

Stretch18 January 20, 2016