Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Terbinafine

Also known as: Lamisil

Learn more about Terbinafine.

Terbinafine review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 18 medications used in the treatment of Onychomycosis, Toenail.

Reviews for Terbinafine to treat Onychomycosis, Toenail

Review by Just Beginning Treatment (taken for less than 1 month):

Lamisil (terbinafine): I have had this infection of the toenails for about 12 years. Ugh! so embarrassed to ask the doctor I have gone through the misery of not ever wearing sandals or open toed high heels. I work in an office environment and would love to wear sandals with some of my outfits. I recently went to the dr and I finally told her that I have toenail fungus and she easily wrote me a prescription for Lamisil. I started taking it about a week now and have not seen any changes but I will definately give it time and check in and give my review again in the next few weeks!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2015 2:57 PM

Review by Sweetdee33 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamisil (terbinafine): I used Lamisil for 3 months and it cleared up my big toe perfectly...........Now my other foot has it on its big toe so Yes You betcha I am going on another 3 month dose. It really works.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2015 10:05 PM

Review by Happy camper (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lamisil (terbinafine): Update from last year when I started treatment in February. Little toes on both feet clear , the bigger toes on both feet 70% clear and let my say I'm very satisfied with the results so far , from a worst condition to a moderate one is big for me, thank you so much for restoring a quality of life back to me.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 23, 2015 4:59 PM

Review by solytierra (taken for less than 1 month):

YES, YES, YES it worked!!!! I'm happy to report that after only 19-days on terbinafine HCl 250 mg tablets, I woke up this morning to a clear 'pinky' toenail - yay, yay, yay!!! The best part of it all is that I have not experienced any side effects. I'm due for a liver panel test on 2/23/15 and will ask my doctor if can stop taking this med or stay on it for the 90-day treatment.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2015 3:36 PM

Review by JoDacee:

I've been on terbinafine for 3 months. I had toe nail fungus for about 5 years before it started to get worse and I finally realized what it was. After 3 months, the fungus is basically non-existent. I still have a little bit (my toenail was extremely thick and impossible to cut without scissors) I got another prescription for a month and I can see it gone completely by then. I have not experienced any of the side effects that were listed. I would recommend this!

January 31, 2015 4:17 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have had toenail fungus on both big toenails and one little toenail for 20 years and have tried all sorts of topical treatments. I also tried two laser treatments. Topical and laser treatments worked a little but didn't knock out the fungus. Just finishing my third month on Terbinafine and it has worked very well. New nail growth looks fabulous and appears to be healthy. I probably need to stay on medication for another three months until diseased nails grow out completely and are trimmed off. No noticeable side affects except a little upset tummy...especially the first two weeks. I am very pleased. Sixty yo male.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2015 9:15 AM

Review by jennoriah:

Lamisil (terbinafine): I have had this condition for YEARS. With no progress using any other meds. LAMISIL cleared it up COMPLETELY in 2 months. The doctor warned that it could take up to 6 months to a year to see any results but thankfully it was way less time then predicted.

January 11, 2015 12:23 PM

Review by skoby (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've and toenail fungus for almost 15 years. I tried all the OTC and home remedies. I finally tried terbinafine daily for almost 3 months. I had an upset stomach and a metallic taste in my mouth but got used to it and it appeared to go away. To my surprise my big toe nail became very shiny and clear but I still was skeptical. Almost two months went by and I noticed my smaller nails were pink. I couldn't believe it. I was so used to these ugly things that I guess I never really looked at them. The two smallest nails I'm still not sure if they'll come in so I didn't give the rating a 10. I'm going to go a few more months to make sure. We'll see but I have hope.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 31, 2014 4:27 PM

Review by Fungas:

I have had toenail fungus for over 10 yrs. I have tried every over the counter medication and expensive drops. I had used Vinegar and Listerine, Vicks vapor rub and even two doses of the pin point laser, without any dramatic changes. I was getting so fed up. The laser doc, decided to give me a 3 month dosage of terbinafine. I am on my last week, and my toe nails have DRAMATICALLY gotten better. I just stare at them all of the time because I can't believe it. In another two or three weeks they will be perfect. I have not had any side effects from the medication, although I will be having a liver check in a couple of weeks.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2014 4:30 PM

Review by Diane I (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After 6 years of toenail fungus creams, toenail removal, laser treatments, spraying (soaking) inside my shoes with Lysol spray disinfectant after wearing, alternating shoes daily--same pair every third day, soaking feet in regular Lysol (this really helped with flare-ups), nothing would keep this fungus at bay. Then I tried terbinafine: after 3 weeks my knee and leg quit aching, my nasal sinuses dried up (no more disgusting green stuff to cough up), all other bodily aches and pains cleared up as well (I'm 68.). Oh, sure, there were some slight tummy problems, with diarrhea and loss of appetite, but only temporarily. Have been off meds now for several weeks; toenail looks better, but pain in knee/leg has returned. Love this stuff!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2014 12:30 PM

Review by healthygirl2014 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am so glad that my foot doctor prescribed this medication to me. For years I tried over-the-counter medications and creams and liquids...to no avail. I have had slight side effects such as headaches, tiredness and smelly gas. But overall, I am very happy. I am almost done with my second bottle and I glad to say that my big toes are almost all clear. If only my little toes will hurry and catch up with the big toes.

December 6, 2014 11:41 AM

Review by Punkie44:

Lamisil (terbinafine): I started in July, it's been 3 months. I have had the foot issue for years, so I suspect it will take some time to heal. I do see proper coloring showing up at the bottom of the nail, so I am hopeful. The new clear part looks good. It's too bad that it is probably going to take a year for the entire nail to show up correctly. I have had no side effects, and if I had a loss of appetite or taste, I would be incredibly happy that the medicine would solve two problems at once. Cost-wise, I think that the entire bottle will last the full time.

November 8, 2014 12:15 PM

Review by myceliom:

I have had an infection on all 10 toenails since I was in my early teens - either through poor hygiene or communal swimming area. I am now 38 and in the last 5 or so years I became fed up with hiding my feet, so began to use topical treatments to little avail. I then went for laser treatment and wasted a lot of money. As a last resort I went to the doctor, he prescribed me Terbinafine and within a couple of weeks i noticed clean and clear nails growing from the bed. Almost 6 months in and my nails are practically clear of the infection. If only I had started taking this years ago rather than wasting money on on the counter treatments. Am now looking forward to my next holiday where I will finally be able to wear whatever footwear I want.

October 14, 2014 5:16 AM

Review by Ozzz:

%u0130 have lived with this problem for more then 2 years, nothing worked except Lamisil. Keeping there and using regularly will get the result. My toe is clean and flawless like before. Didn't have any side effects.

October 7, 2014 6:53 PM

Review by fungusbegone:

Lamisil (terbinafine): I have taken Lamisil for 7 weeks. I have had loss of taste and am a little more tired. The loss of taste concerns me. I have read some people got it back and some have been off it for months and have not. Even water tastes bad. Nails look better so I am going to stick it out and pray. It's kind of nice not wanting to eat sweets.....but I miss a glass of wine tasting good.....hopefully it will resolve.

September 1, 2014 8:36 PM

Review by Sarahh T (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Got my first toenail fungus when I was 9 years old due to public swimming pool, it started off as athletes foot and later developed to toenail fungus. Throughout the years they spread to all 5 toes on one foot. Tried every topical treatment and past 2 years I did 5 laser toenail treatments and nothing worked! I was tired of not being able to wear open toe shoes and being a 27 year old female living in California this was tough! I was very concerned with all the side effects, but I never got any serious reactions. I felt like I lost some of my appetite and had some discomfort in my stomach the first month. I am now one week away from finishing my 3 month dose and I honestly can't believe it, my nails are practically all clear! Totally worth it.

July 20, 2014 12:23 AM

Review by nhgardengirl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been taking the tablet for about 6 weeks and I immediately noticed side effects. I rapidly lost weight after my appetite became nearly non-existent; I would eat 2 bites of food and then want to throw the rest away at every meal because I had no desire to eat anything. I also have a horrible taste in my mouth, which the doctor suggested I could help by taking it with milk; I haven't tried this as I don't drink milk. I have a liver test next week so we'll see if there are any negative results there. I haven't noticed any improvement on my toenail, but I also keep it covered with nailpolish 99% of the time.

June 11, 2014 12:36 PM

Review by poision for me (taken for less than 1 month):

Ended up in ER after only 5 days of taking it. Nystagmus, nausea, dizziness, light sensitivity pain low blood pressure dehydration rapid heartbeat and low sodium. Still not better 5 days after.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2014 4:51 PM

Review by Happy camper (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamisil (terbinafine): Embarrassed to go barefoot and what not, all ten toes infected with this brown tint. Fed up I decided to do something about it. I heard of Lamisil and did some research on the medicine, was concern about side effect and live damage so I went for the laser treatment on all ten toes. After 5 months no change, toenails look the same, disappointed went back to my Dr and he said Lamisil works best for this infection, so after much thought and tired of my condition I decided to go with the Lamisil, still concerned about side effects and what not. Dr. ordered 1st liver test and came back good so here I go!. Almost 3 months on medicine and I couldn't be happier! Brown tint is almost gone and new nail is growing out & No side effects.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 21, 2014 12:25 AM

Review by SILKYSMOOTH (taken for less than 1 month):

Lamisil (terbinafine): I contacted athletes foot terribly in 1982 while in military basic training. I literally tried every cream on the market with only temporary relief. I went to a podiatrist in 1997 and she prescribed lamisil pills one a day for 12 days. The itching and burning was gone in 3 days but went ahead and finished the remaining doses. This is 5-17-2014 and i've been athlete foot free ever since. This is truly a miracle medicine.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 17, 2014 11:08 AM

Review by 777Steve (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'd suffered from toe nail fungus for over ten years. I'd tried every possible topical treatment but nothing worked. All ten of my nails were infected. I also had VERY dry rough skin on my feet. Doctors just told me this was dry skin and couldn't be treated. I researched Lamisil for my nail fungus but the side effects scared me. Eventually my feet were affecting my life so I decided I had to try it. It's AMAZING! I literally saw results within 2 weeks. In the past I'd trim and file my nails to remove the fungus and after that they'd look slightly better but within days the fungus would reappear. Not any more! And my rough dry skin stopped too. 7 weeks in and they're looking great, smooth skin and no side effects.

May 3, 2014 11:31 PM

Review by Mark6564:

Lamisil (terbinafine): 8 more days to go, so I figure if any bad side effects were going to happen, I would have had them by now. I noticed big toenail started clearing after 10 days on the product. Now, it is over a quarter inch clear from bottom up; the doctor said to give it 9 months from the start of treatment for the nail completely grows out clear. Two other infected nails showing marked improvement. Only the little toenail does not appear to be coming in normal. No side effects to note.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2014 11:47 AM

Review by MFK777:

Lamisil (terbinafine): Just finished my 1st month of Lamisil and have had some side effects but I'm going to try and continue to take it. I'm so ready to be able to wear any shoes I like. I've dealt with this fungus long enough and really want this gone. I already can see a big difference.

March 11, 2014 12:02 AM

Review by Vio (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lamisil (terbinafine): I was on this medication for 5 months straight with no results. No bad side effects, but it caused very fast weight loss. I lost about 15 lbs without trying so I discontinued treatment in fear of losing too much weight. It slowed the yellowing of my big toenail, but did not help eliminate it. Will have to see the doctor for other treatment.

March 3, 2014 7:20 PM

Review by Nickname already in use (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamisil (terbinafine): Dead tornail started falling off after 4 weeks.

February 24, 2014 10:01 PM