User Reviews for Terbinafine

Also known as: Lamisil

Learn more about Terbinafine.

Terbinafine Review Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 18 medications used in the treatment of Onychomycosis, Toenail.

Reviews for Terbinafine to treat Onychomycosis, Toenail

Lamisil (terbinafine): "The doctor put me on Lamisil back March, I had to see another doctor about a different problem, he looked at my feet and told me to stop taking Lamisil (a big mistake), he felt that the medication had cleared up my foot problem. He put me on a cream foot infection that did not work to improve the infection, when He realized that the cream wasn't working. The doctor told me to see an dermatologist which I did, and he did not help, more creams that did not stop the infection. So now, I'm back on Lamisil, my first time on it was one month, and the foot infection was worse back in March, I do hope that it will clear up the foot infection completely this time. Also, I'm seeing a PA , not a MD."

1951/11 August 25, 2015

Lamisil (terbinafine): "Took it religiously for a year. Had toenail fungus on all ten toes for probably the last 10 years. It took awhile for the nail to grow out, but I kept them clean and dry and scrubbed daily in the shower. My feet have not looked this good in 10 years. It's a slow recovery but it works"

Stephen LA August 13, 2015

"I had toenail fungus on one toe for 2 years and tried every over the counter cream, etc. and all of the home remedies with no luck. I had an appt with my Dr. and brought it up to her and she said that she has prescribed this to many of her patients and none of them (so far) have had issues. She did the liver screening before I could start and then did the liver screening after month 1 and month 2. My insurance company would not cover the drug. I have had absolutely not even one bad side effect. Still have a little bit of growth before it's perfect but it's on its way!!! So happy"

Leigh0116 August 9, 2015

Lamisil (terbinafine): "Works great been on it 2 1/2 months my toenails are not yellow anymore only the ends are a little bit. Had toenail fungus for 15 years they where thick and yellow had to file them a lot. Tryed everything to try to make it go away. I am on the generic brand of lamsil. Side effects just watery poop for two weeks nothing more. My feet are not dry anymore there soft. I can wear sandals now without wearing fake toenails or finger nail polish. When on this file the nail down to get the fungus and keep doing it use a different file each time don't wear socks to long keep your feet clean."

sugerplum31 August 5, 2015

"Had toenail fungus since 2000. My doctor perscriped me generic brand of Lamsil been on it for 2 1/2 months nails are pink not yellow and not thick any more so happy. Just the ends are a little yellow that's it. Side effects just watery poop for two weeks nothing else."

sugerplum1984 August 5, 2015

"I have a very bad exprience with Terbinafine since last week. this drug doesn't work with me. I took this medicine for 4 days on last week prescribed by my doctor, but after two days I took this drug, lots of micro blisters started appearing on both my hand plams and around the mouth and lips and body felt so hot. I thought it was heat rashes so I continued to take this drug two more days. My hands got even more worse, more blisters appeared on the top of the hands too. I realized it was allergic reaction by the drug so I stopped taking it and notified the phamacist and my doctor. I took Benedroyl for 4 days and then the blisters have been slowly shrinking but passing 10days, the skin starts peeled and feel rough and look terrible. :-("

J.H July 5, 2015

"I have had an infection of the toenails for probably 15 years and I'm only 25. I always wanted to wear sandals but my toenails was half missing due to me cutting them down because they use to itch soooo bad. I went to the doctor for my leg which I pulled the muscle connected to my foot and I had socks on but he pulled them off, I was so ashamed. He gave me the prescription for terbinafine and the first week or so,my inner arm was itching for like a week. Then when I got my dose for the 2nd month my skin on the top of my feet start peeling but on the upside of that my feet are very soft now :)......I haven't finish all my medicine yet but my results so far is amazing I can't wait till I'm wearing sandals."

HappyFeetYay June 30, 2015

Lamisil (terbinafine): "I have been taking Lamisil for about 2 months. I have had toenail fungus for about 4 years. The fungus has been very slow growing. Which is why I think that I haven't seen any physical change yet. The fungus is on 4 of my 10 toes. I think that it is spreading to the other ones. I am hoping that I will see some change in the next months. I have heard it takes longer for the worse cases to heal. Oh, and I have had no side effects besides after I take it the first time after a break (I am on pulse dosage) I have a little upset stomach. Nothing too bad though."

Freebird99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2015

"I was diagnosed with hyperhidrosis on my hands and feet as a child. Growing up with constant sweaty feet, I've battled toe nail fungus since I was about 8/9 years old. I'm 23. Today is my first day taking Terbinafine, so I'm a little excited and can't wait to see results like most of you have. I have about 5/6 infected toes. 4 are severe. (2 big toes and 2 pinkys) I haven't been able to wear sandals out in public since I was a child. I'll leave another review when treatment is done in 3 months from now."

Mrs. Happy (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

"Just had my 2nd liver panal done for my last refill. It came back good. I have been taking this medication for 2 months. 3 months when treatment is complete. Recently lost my sense of taste. Very frustrating and hard to eat when you have no taste. Sweet and salty are what I can taste most but still taste watered down or tasteless. Happy it's only for 1 more month but how long before my taste returns!? My toenail is noticeably clearing but the doc says it will take some time before it is totally clear. Also, while taking this medication you can NOT drink alcoholic beverages. You WILL destroy your liver. Choose treatment time wisely. I was dumb and did it the months of May, June, and July. Memorial day and the 4th of July were not as fun."

Candy23 June 21, 2015

"I have been using Terbinafine for about eight weeks and have noticed significant improvement in toenail. However; after the second week of taking medication my elbows started aching and now I have difficulty holding up a coffee cup. I am presently being tested with ultrasound and something called "grafton procedure"? No improvement. I may just ride it out as the fungus is 2/3 gone and hope the side effects subside. Periodic headaches don't know if related. I don"t see anyone else mentioning such. I can"t believe I'm the only one!"

BrochuDave (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2015

"In late November I began taking Lamisil as prescribed by my podiatrist. There were few if any side effects --- at least none clearly noticeable by me. Slowly the nails on the three infected toenails began to grow out healthy. The new nail was not thick or yellowish, and was firmly connected to the nail bed. My prescription lasted for three month at which time the infection had grown out by approximately 70%. My podiatrist said there was no need to extend the prescription beyond three months unless the fungus came back. It is now early May and I can say that I have no symptoms of toenail fungus whatsoever. I have had the fungus for at least 10 years on my two big toes, and well over 15 years on a pinkie toe. My nails are completely healthy."

Post Up (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2015

"I never had toe nail fungus until one day it infected both toe nails and some other nails on both of my feet. I went many years suffering with shame and fear that people would look at my nail and make fun of me. One day a friend suggested that I try Lamisil tablets and topical cream at the same time. I did and after about a month and a half of use all my nails turned pink and cleared up except the toe nail on my left foot. I am continuing to use the topical cream on it and it is clearing at a slower rate but I think it will clear up with time. I wish I could remember the name of my good friend. It's a shame I have lost track of him."

Happy Trucker (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2015

Lamisil (terbinafine): "I have been on the generic of lamisil (terbinafine) for 3 months and have about a week left. My toenails (4 severely affected, the rest just with a slight yellow tint) appear to be growing in clear. I declined this medication for years because I had read about possible bad side effects. I have had zero side effects with this medication and am kicking myself for putting up with years of embarrassment. I would definitely recommend it. The only bummer was not being able to drink for 3 months, but it appears to be worth it!"

L.Lisie April 6, 2015

Lamisil (terbinafine): "Got athlete's foot in a college shower back in 1992. It spread to my toenails shortly after, and I tried everything to get rid of it or hide it. It only affected my left foot, but my big toe was horrible. It was three times thicker than normal and really nasty. My best way of covering it up was duct tape claiming I banged it on something. I have taken Lamisil for a little over 30 days and the nails are all clearing up and the big toe looks amazing. I have dealt with this issue for over 20 years and am thrilled that it will no longer be an embarrassment. I would have given it a '10', but a bout of insomnia mixed with some really strange dreams took a point away."

THEE Chap (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2015

"I am on my third month of taking Lamisil. I had no side effects for the first two months and now I have frequent diarrhea (every day). I just don't understand why I am now getting the side effects. I am always thirsty, feel dehydrated and have a bad taste in my mouth most of the time. Slight headaches here and there. Did anyone else have side effects that came after two months? Luckily this should be my last refill of this medication. I haven't noticed any positive changes in my middle infected toenail, but a friend who took the medication advised me that it could take six months or longer for a new nail to grow in. Staying positive."

Shasha683 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2015

Lamisil (terbinafine): "I have had this infection of the toenails for about 12 years. Ugh! so embarrassed to ask the doctor I have gone through the misery of not ever wearing sandals or open toed high heels. I work in an office environment and would love to wear sandals with some of my outfits. I recently went to the dr and I finally told her that I have toenail fungus and she easily wrote me a prescription for Lamisil. I started taking it about a week now and have not seen any changes but I will definately give it time and check in and give my review again in the next few weeks!"

Just Beginning Treatment (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2015

"I have been battling toenail fungus for the past 2 years and I really tried everything I could in order to not take any medicines but I looked at my toe and the nail was starting to rise so I decided to ask my doctor for a prescription. I've only been taking it for a week and a half and this is what I've experienced. After about 2 days of taking it I started experiencing nausea, gas and bloating but I tried switching my dose to the evening before bed and I feel so much better. I guess it all happens in my sleep now. So far my toe looks good but I will post my results once I've been on it longer."

NenaM March 17, 2015

"I am a 35 year old male living in Canada and have had severe toenail fungus for the past 8 years. I tried every over the counter treatment possible and nothing worked. At that point I decided to see my doctor and he decided to try me on a few of the topical ointments and none of those made any difference. I saw in an add that Laser treatment could help so I went for 12 Laser treatments and the Laser Tech pretty much guaranteed me that in a few months I was see results and it did absolutely nothing at ALL. As a last resort I went back to my doctor and decided to try Lamisil oral or Terbinafine and its been 2 months on it and you can physically see the brand new nails (Not infected) growing out. I wish I could post pictures. Best Medicine Ever!"

VancouverPaul March 17, 2015

Lamisil (terbinafine): "I used Lamisil for 3 months and it cleared up my big toe perfectly...........Now my other foot has it on its big toe so Yes You betcha I am going on another 3 month dose. It really works."

Sweetdee33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2015

Lamisil (terbinafine): "Taking the generic brand of Lamisil All 10 toes infected with toenail fungus more than 8yrs . Some extremely thick others discolored and some even cracked 1st month discoloration was the first thing to Clear up also any athletes foot cleared up immediately 2nd month The thickness in nails has started to disappear 3rd month have noticed the bottom half of the nails have come in clear on a few of the nails Note dr. recommended after showering to clean out the bottom of the toenails then let them dry fully then file them down slightly this has really improved the look of my toenails My insurance covered the cost of the generic brand which is less than five dollars a month"

Venus 48 March 7, 2015

Lamisil (terbinafine): "Update from last year when I started treatment in February. Little toes on both feet clear , the bigger toes on both feet 70% clear and let my say I'm very satisfied with the results so far , from a worst condition to a moderate one is big for me, thank you so much for restoring a quality of life back to me."

Happy camper (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 23, 2015

"YES, YES, YES it worked!!!! I'm happy to report that after only 19-days on terbinafine HCl 250 mg tablets, I woke up this morning to a clear 'pinky' toenail - yay, yay, yay!!! The best part of it all is that I have not experienced any side effects. I'm due for a liver panel test on 2/23/15 and will ask my doctor if can stop taking this med or stay on it for the 90-day treatment."

solytierra (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2015

Lamisil (terbinafine): "I started taking the generic of Lamisil several weeks ago for the awful fungus on all of my toes. I had previously taken this drug years ago with no side effects, however this time after two weeks I had stomach cramps and everything tasted weird. I continued to take it minimal symptoms until I had two pills left. I started having stomach pain again and a terrible backache. I went to the doctor and had blood tested again and kidney and liver tested o.k. I was diagnosed with a UTI and told to discontinue the terbinafine. I took an antibiotic (ciprofloxacn) but didn't feel any better. Now taking Amoxicillin, however my back still aches constantly. I am a 65 year old female."

Fungusamungus (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2015

"I've been on terbinafine for 3 months. I had toe nail fungus for about 5 years before it started to get worse and I finally realized what it was. After 3 months, the fungus is basically non-existent. I still have a little bit (my toenail was extremely thick and impossible to cut without scissors) I got another prescription for a month and I can see it gone completely by then. I have not experienced any of the side effects that were listed. I would recommend this!"

JoDacee January 31, 2015