User Reviews for Flomax

Learn more about Flomax.

Flomax Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Stones.

Reviews for Flomax to treat Urinary Tract Stones

"Six weeks postpartum of having my baby I started experiencing UTI symptoms. After two rounds of antibiotics, ruling out appendicitis, the dr. concluded it must be a kidney stone. Told me to drink lots of water. For a month I experienced dull pain, extreme pain, to no pain. Finally I had excruciating pain. My hubby drove me to the hospital. Went to the Outpatient building (to avoid ER cost). Got CT scan and KUB scan. The urologist fit us in that day to look over. I had a 7mm stone that had reached my ureter. She prescribed Flomax. After 1 dose and 9 hours later, I passed the stone. Didn't even feel it pass! Woke up next morning and didnt feel pain. Went back to Outpatient for KUB scan and showed no stone! Only symptoms were dizziness."

HME February 5, 2016

"I get stones frequently, have had lythotripsy for two of them. Finally I saw a new urologist and she gave me Flomax. I had Zero side effects. It didn't make me pee more often but when I did go it was like a raging river and moved my stone rift on out quickly. I will never have another stone without being prescribed Flomax and I tell any of my friends who get stones to use it. Also when I did pee it completely emptied my bladder/kidneys and relieves so much pressure. Life saver for sure !!!!"

Carvertwin77 January 23, 2016

"I was hit with severe pain on a Friday morning. Ended up in the emergency room with a 6mm kidney stone on my right side. I was given Morphine and Toradol thru IV. I didn't hurt as much Saturday. In Sunday the pain came back and I ended back in the ER. I ended up with an awful UTI with this kidney stone. This time I was prescribed an antibiotic and Flomax. I filled it Monday and took one immediately. My stomach felt a little weird. A little bloating occurred. I drank a lot of water with lemon and Gatorade. I eased up on pain meds Tues only took my flomax. Weds morning I took it early and went back to bed. I got up to pee and there it was at the bottom of toilet. Didn't hurt or feel it at all."

6MM (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

"Ten hours after taking the first dose I had a pulse rate of 126, atrial fibrillation, arrythmia, and high hypertension. I took no more."

PentecostalChristian January 17, 2016

"Flomax helps in the passing of kidney stone had stone for two months but wasn't drinking enough water. I stared drinking 1gal of water every day also 3 glasses of lemon n water and 3 cups of hibiscus tea in two days passed stone."

ERNIE R December 30, 2015

"After kidney stone surgery 3 weeks ago I was given the Flomax to rid myself of the smaller stones. After reading on line the horror stories of this drug's side effects, which included running nose, blurred vision and unable to achieve orgasm, I was very reluctant to use it. I'm happy to report in the limited time using Flomax, I've had no side effects. I mean none."

Rickysllc123 (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2015

"I have frequent kidney stone attacks. On one trip to the ER I was given a prescription for Flomax and decided to fill it. Next time I got an attack I took one and was amazed that the stone passed within about an hour! Normally I would have been in agony for hours before passing the stone. I make sure to carry Flomax with me now. Two days ago I got another attack, took one Flomax and the pain stopped and the stone passed shortly thereafter."

Needsleep1945 December 29, 2015

"I felt like someone hit me in the back one day, it throbbed and felt swollen. It bothered me for a few hours. Two weeks later I couldn't pee and it hurt so bad I went to ER. They did cat scan to find a 6mm kidney stone in my ureter. They started me on Flomax. I followed up with my doctor and 2 weeks later I passed it with no pain except a little pain when I peed. I don't know if it were the Flomax or chanca piedra that I bought did it But it was painless and I was so worried. Now I will take it to my doctor to be analyzed."

Lynee1029 December 6, 2015

"Wow, Flomax made my stone pass with one dose after 3 months of pain, worry, CAT scans, and the urologist thinking it was prostatitis. Wish they gave it to me in the ER in August! Stone was 8mm x 5mm, and got stuck in three places on the way down. Thank you Flomax!"

BrianGock November 25, 2015

"29years old. Kidney stone dropped me to the floor, in tears, on my first day of work @ a great new job. Manager had to drive me to ER. Not a good look in a blue collar line of work. Literally threw up on myself from the pain. Turned down morphine due to past narcotic dependency. Toradol saved me that day, but stones not gone. Got CT done, "One 5mm, two 2mm". Flomax for past three weeks. Just passed an 8mm stone....laughing & joyously celebrating! Haha I've watched my father suffer through a dozen stones. He never took flomax. I know that what I just passed should not have come out that easily/painlessly."

Whoa (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2015

"Has anyone had a stone 2 cm? Any information I find shows most people that have experienced Kidney stones measure to be in the mm range. I was puzzled about that, called Doctor and she confirmed once again, found in left kidney a 2.1 centimeter stone. This is my first time with stones....wonder what some of you may have experienced with a stone of that size?"

Shirley Ann63 November 5, 2015

"Have one 4mm stone hung up between the kidney and bladder and another 5mm stone in the kidney. Have been on Flowmax for a month and while it has helped me to urinate more, the stone seems stuck. I am not happy with the side effects: stuffy nose, feeling dizzy and just off, also seems to cause some water retention. Would love to have the positive results other users have had but so far, no luck passing the stone."

DLSB October 17, 2015

"Woke up with nausea and diarrhea and unbearable pain in my left side. Days later ended up at the ER and cat scan showed 6mm stone on left , Dr. put me on Flomax 1X per day for 10 days and pain meds. Followed up with urologist 9 days after taking the Flomax and an ultrasound showed no more stone on my left side I passed it without feeling it. I have another 5mm on my right but now that I know what to expect I will have Flomax and pain meds on hand for the next episode."

Javigrifali (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2015

"Prescribed .4mg flowmax 1x daily for kidney stone. Holy cow this stuff lowered my blood pressure! Took one dose at night, and almost fainted when I awoke and tried to get up, which is a know side effect but it took 16 hours to get back to where I could walk and I was pounding liquids the whole time. Should be more clearly designated. My HR was up in the 110 range and my resting rate is 60 normally."

Stonerflow September 18, 2015

"I was given a shot of Tamsulosin in the ER and a prescription for Flomax at 7:30 Friday night, and passed one stone (possibly a sliver of the original) Sunday night at 11:30, and another (3mm) stone Monday at 3:30. The only pain meds I took was 600mg of Ibuprofen (and a TON of water!!!), and from beginning to end, on a scale of 1-10, the pain never exceeded a 3 or a 4!! Flomax and Tamsulosin are a miracle for kidney stones!!"

Teacher2015 September 5, 2015

"Woke up in pain with stone Friday. Ask my Dr. to prescribe Flomax and took my first dose at noon on Saturday. Pass the stone this morning (Sun.). I experienced a stuffy nose and felt light headed, but it was well worth it. One Capsule did the trick."

Hankaroo August 30, 2015

"Passed a 6 mm stone. It was stuck for 4 days, I went to the hospital and was given Flomax and sent home. It passed in 2 days. It worked for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2015

"I just took Flomax today 2 1/2 hours ago and just passed my stone. I have had to have my stone surgically removed usually. This is fantastic. I will use next time I have an attack."

Anonymous August 10, 2015

"This was my first stone, so I really have nothing to compare my experience to. But leading up to my first dose of Flomax, I had strong "discomfort" associated with my stone, and never the excruciating pain others have experienced. The stone was in my ureter already by time I started flomax, and I passed it painlessly after less than 2 weeks of taking the medication. It was a 5mm stone, which my doctor said I had a 50/50 chance of passing on my own. I'm not sure if it was the medication, or just luck that got this to pass so smoothly. But I'm giving this a positive review anyway."

Davey Boy July 21, 2015

"I had the worst pain of my life and thought I was dying. I went to the ER and they found a 4mm stone on my left side. They prescribed Flomax and pain meds. I will say the stone was barely in my ureter when this ordeal all started. The Flomax is recommended for bedtime dosing because of the possible side effects of drowsiness, dizziness oh and I get a stuffy nose. The original stone passed in 3 days and I had no idea because there was no pain. I also had a second stone on the other side form and it passed on its own with no pain. I like Flomax, for me the benefits out weigh the side effects!"

MJWaller (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2015

"Flomax helped me to pass a 6mm stone with very minimal drama. I am a female who passes a stone about every five years and have typically needed procedures to remove even smaller stones that would get stuck en route. I went to the Dr. with familiar flank pain, had a CT, and was prescribed Flomax. It took three weeks but I had minimal pain (took plain old Advil) and could carry on with work. AWESOME! No side effects either, which I had been worried about."

CanadaPanda May 17, 2015

"I have cysteine stones...huge & chronic & constant! Passed 9 small stones within 30 mins after taking. And with very little pain in the uretha but doesn't help much with the ureter pain. I will use this again but not on a daily routine. Only when needed. Worry about side effects about a medicine meant for men."

Tlc3po (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2015

"Prescribed Flomax for a stone I had for 7 weeks working through, came out with minimal drama within 48 hours. No really side effects."

kaizermattias... April 4, 2015

"I was on this for 3 days. I annoy sure if it helped the stone or not, but I felt completely out of it. I drove the first day to an appointment and was terrified, felt worse than drinking a ton of alcohol. Luckily made it, but then caught myself staggering around and not being able to focus or even form complete sentences at times. After two days I stopped taking it....I have never felt this out of it on anything else. Am curious to know what actually occurred in my body to create all those side effects. I have a little pain from my kidney stone, but have a clear head again. Had to skip work 2 days it was bad, driving and decision making was chaotic!"

FoggyonFlomax (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2015

"This was my third kidney stone. The first two (3mm) were very painful and I used pain killers, no flomax. The ER did a CAT scan and said this stone was 5 mm and located at the junction between the ureter and kidney, and was causing mild hydronephrosis. They gave me flomax and pain meds. I do not like to take medicine and since pain was bearable at that point, I just took the flomax not the pain meds. I was skeptical since the FDA has only approved Flomax in men with prostate issues but doctor explained it helps the ureter stretch. I took it in the evenings after dinner and had no noticeable side effects. Took about two weeks, but stone passed and I never took a singe pain pill - did drink tons of water, had a bit of cramping, that's all!"

Santa Paula (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2015