User Reviews for Flomax

Learn more about Flomax.

Flomax review summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Stones.

Reviews for Flomax to treat Urinary Tract Stones

Review by Steve1218:

Had pain left side. Cat scan showed 6mm stone in ureter. Started Flomax twice daily and drank lots of water with lemon juice. Started Flomax on Monday night. Passed stone on Friday morning. No pain. Never needed Lortabs. I have had kidney stone surgery twice. To be able to pass a 6mm stone with no surgery and no pain is wonderful. $12 versus $30,000.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 12:39 PM

Review by Eldar (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I get Kidney Stones on a near daily basis trying to pass. I've been in the hospital a total of 35 times in the last year. Each for Kidney Stone pain. After my third visit the doc gave me Flomax and it passed 5 stones all 3-5mm in size within 30 minutes of me taking it. Since then no other Doctor would give it to me because "I didn't need it". Well finally yesterday my doc agreed with me and wrote the prescription I passes a 8mm stone 30 mins after taking the Flomax. I HIGHLY recommended this to anyone who is suffering from a kidney stone. It reduces the pain and makes the passing a WHOLE lot easier.

July 10, 2014 1:00 AM

Review by Lamerlemarks (taken for less than 1 month):

I have had a 6mm stone for almost a year without any problems. Almost a week ago I started having pain with the stone so I went to urologist. He put me on Flomax and pain medicine. He said if it didn't pass in a few days I would need surgery. I didn't want surgery especially because of the stint. I passed the stone a few hours after second dose of Flomax.

June 20, 2014 10:28 PM

Review by still no relief (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been taking Flomax for 7 days and drinking plenty of water and no I still have not passed either kidney stone. So I hope I can get relief super fast.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 12, 2014 11:04 AM

Review by OceanM (taken for less than 1 month):

I had a jagged 3-4mm stone in my right kidney for months. It wasn't causing much pain, but it was causing regular bleeding. I gave up on it passing on its own and finally went to the family Dr. expecting to hear that I would need a surgical procedure. BUT, the Dr. put me on FloMax; and after just 10 days on this med I passed the stone with very little pain! I regret waiting so long to get help with it. The only side effect I had was the sexual dysfunction described, but it was so minimal it wasn't bothersome enough for me to stop taking the medicine. And the side effect went away after stopping the medicine.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 28, 2014 3:27 PM

Review by flomax_fan (taken for less than 1 month):

I passed a 4mm stone about an hour after the first pill. So, yeah, I guess it worked OK for me.

March 30, 2014 1:15 PM

Review by MSKer:

I have bilateral medullary sponge kidney disease and pass stones almost daily. Although it does not relieve the pain, it does help pass the stones and prevent an obstruction. I no longer experience any of the side effects like dizziness, but I also take it at night. I have a history of cardiac reactions to medications and sometimes a stone will cause my heart rate to skyrocket to 160 with a blood pressure of 165/100, but it is clearly the stones and not caused by Flomax. My only complaint is that my insurance refuses to pay for this medicine because I am a woman. I don't think that is right, and I'm not going to accept that kind of discrimination. Even my doctor's office is surprised by the discrimination.

March 7, 2014 6:06 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Have been on it several times for stones. I actually request it from my doctor each time I have a problem stone. While it helps pass stones easily the dizziness is a major factor for myself. But I will continue to use it!

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 2, 2013 9:29 AM

Review by marsha5352:

Helped pass large (7 mm) stone in 4 days.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2012 11:38 AM

Review by jshore:

This seems like a miracle for pain from kidney stones in the ureter. The first stone that I tried it on had given me several quite significant bouts of pain and the 4-5 mm stone passed a couple days after starting with no additional pain. I have since used it on two other stones that turned out to be about 3 or 3-4 mm and have passed them with essentially no pain after starting Flomax. So, that is 3 stones passed with essentially no pain after taking the Flomax and a total of 6 pills of Flomax used.

March 17, 2012 9:14 PM

Diagnosed with kidney stone at 7:00 am, started on Flomax shortly after, passed it by 2:00 pm that day. Also on Oxycodone with Acetaminophen for pain. Took only one dose of each and it passed. I felt lucky.

October 22, 2011 11:55 AM

Experienced no side effects and more importantly passed my kidney stone without difficulty.

July 23, 2011 9:25 PM

Review by Content59:

I had this prescribed for a kidney stone. Took the first pill on Friday at noon. Today is Sunday - 2 days later and I passed it one hour ago. Thanks.. it worked like a charm.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2010 7:27 PM

Review by Lots of Ouch:

I was not as lucky as other raters. I feel happy for them. I did not get a chance to see how effective it could be. I had a "rare" side effect of greatly increased heart rate. A few hours after taking one tablet, my pulse rate increased nearly 100% above my normal rate of 55-60 along with an increased blood pressure to the point of being near stroke level. I now need to add it to my list of allergic reactions -- to date only Indocin and Levaquin have affected me negatively. All three have affected either my nervous or vascular system.

December 15, 2009 5:36 PM

Review by Kidney stones:

Helped me pass my stone within 3 hours of taking.

August 27, 2009 10:16 PM

Review by Hairdoo:

I had a 4.8 mm stone that had been plaguing me for 3 weeks. I had been taking pain medicines off and on as needed and drinking plenty of water but I could tell (plenty of experience) that the stone was hung up just before entering the bladder in the narrowest part of the ureter. I called the urologist to ask for a prescription for Flomax. They were hesitant - didn't think I could pass it. Long story short, they prescribed, I took it, stone passed less than 24 hours later. Flomax pain medicines plenty of water = passing kidney stone quickly and inexpensively.

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2009 12:03 PM

Review by mad dog:

Prescribed for kidney stone to pass through ureter. Worked like a charm.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2009 7:38 PM