User Reviews for Flomax

Learn more about Flomax.

Flomax Review Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Stones.

Reviews for Flomax to treat Urinary Tract Stones

"Woke up in pain with stone Friday. Ask my Dr. to prescribe Flomax and took my first dose at noon on Saturday. Pass the stone this morning (Sun.). I experienced a stuffy nose and felt light headed, but it was well worth it. One Capsule did the trick."

Hankaroo August 30, 2015

"Passed a 6 mm stone. It was stuck for 4 days, I went to the hospital and was given Flomax and sent home. It passed in 2 days. It worked for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2015

"I just took Flomax today 2 1/2 hours ago and just passed my stone. I have had to have my stone surgically removed usually. This is fantastic. I will use next time I have an attack."

Anonymous August 10, 2015

"This was my first stone, so I really have nothing to compare my experience to. But leading up to my first dose of Flomax, I had strong "discomfort" associated with my stone, and never the excruciating pain others have experienced. The stone was in my ureter already by time I started flomax, and I passed it painlessly after less than 2 weeks of taking the medication. It was a 5mm stone, which my doctor said I had a 50/50 chance of passing on my own. I'm not sure if it was the medication, or just luck that got this to pass so smoothly. But I'm giving this a positive review anyway."

Davey Boy July 21, 2015

"I had the worst pain of my life and thought I was dying. I went to the ER and they found a 4mm stone on my left side. They prescribed Flomax and pain meds. I will say the stone was barely in my ureter when this ordeal all started. The Flomax is recommended for bedtime dosing because of the possible side effects of drowsiness, dizziness oh and I get a stuffy nose. The original stone passed in 3 days and I had no idea because there was no pain. I also had a second stone on the other side form and it passed on its own with no pain. I like Flomax, for me the benefits out weigh the side effects!"

MJWaller (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2015

"Flomax helped me to pass a 6mm stone with very minimal drama. I am a female who passes a stone about every five years and have typically needed procedures to remove even smaller stones that would get stuck en route. I went to the Dr. with familiar flank pain, had a CT, and was prescribed Flomax. It took three weeks but I had minimal pain (took plain old Advil) and could carry on with work. AWESOME! No side effects either, which I had been worried about."

CanadaPanda May 17, 2015

"I have cysteine stones...huge & chronic & constant! Passed 9 small stones within 30 mins after taking. And with very little pain in the uretha but doesn't help much with the ureter pain. I will use this again but not on a daily routine. Only when needed. Worry about side effects about a medicine meant for men."

Tlc3po (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2015

"Prescribed Flomax for a stone I had for 7 weeks working through, came out with minimal drama within 48 hours. No really side effects."

kaizermattias... April 4, 2015

"I was on this for 3 days. I annoy sure if it helped the stone or not, but I felt completely out of it. I drove the first day to an appointment and was terrified, felt worse than drinking a ton of alcohol. Luckily made it, but then caught myself staggering around and not being able to focus or even form complete sentences at times. After two days I stopped taking it....I have never felt this out of it on anything else. Am curious to know what actually occurred in my body to create all those side effects. I have a little pain from my kidney stone, but have a clear head again. Had to skip work 2 days it was bad, driving and decision making was chaotic!"

FoggyonFlomax (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2015

"This was my third kidney stone. The first two (3mm) were very painful and I used pain killers, no flomax. The ER did a CAT scan and said this stone was 5 mm and located at the junction between the ureter and kidney, and was causing mild hydronephrosis. They gave me flomax and pain meds. I do not like to take medicine and since pain was bearable at that point, I just took the flomax not the pain meds. I was skeptical since the FDA has only approved Flomax in men with prostate issues but doctor explained it helps the ureter stretch. I took it in the evenings after dinner and had no noticeable side effects. Took about two weeks, but stone passed and I never took a singe pain pill - did drink tons of water, had a bit of cramping, that's all!"

Santa Paula (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2015

"Been on Flomax for 6 weeks. 4.8 mm stone still hasn't passed. It is getting close though as I feel like a small elephant on a pogo stick is jumping on my bladder."

scoopself December 5, 2014

"I been drinking the pills for one week already and still haven't pass my kidney stone."

Jbau November 9, 2014

"I will recommend Flomax to anyone with kidney stones..mine was a sharp intense pain on the left side of my back. I haven't had this kind of pain in my life. It's worse than child labour pain. Been battling with the pain until the urologist prescribed this medicine..in less than 2 weeks I passed it out with no pain."

Okereke Maggie October 14, 2014

"Suffer from uric acid stones on an average of every 4-6 months. Was given a prescription for Flomax last ER visit; filled it to keep on hand. Two days ago had an attack and decided to try the Flomax. Amazingly, the stone passed in an hour and a half instead of the next day!....This has never happened before and it really shortened the terrible pain which usually lasts many hours. I will definitely try this next time I have an attack, which I KNOW will happen again."

Carolelinda (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2014

"Have suffered with uric acid kidney stones for years, approximately every 4-5 months. Pain usually bad enough to go to ER. Today I had an attack and decided to take some Flomax. The ER usually sends me home with a prescription but have never been given Flomax at hospital. AMAZINGLY, within an Hour and a half I passed the stone! This has never happened so quickly as it usually does not pass till the next day! Next time I have an attack (and unfortunately there will be a next time) I am reaching for Flomax right away. Still cannot believe this happened."

Carolelinda September 30, 2014

"Had pain left side. Cat scan showed 6mm stone in ureter. Started Flomax twice daily and drank lots of water with lemon juice. Started Flomax on Monday night. Passed stone on Friday morning. No pain. Never needed Lortabs. I have had kidney stone surgery twice. To be able to pass a 6mm stone with no surgery and no pain is wonderful. $12 versus $30,000."

Steve1218 August 8, 2014

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I get Kidney Stones on a near daily basis trying to pass. I've been in the hospital a total of 35 times in the last year. Each for Kidney Stone pain. After my third visit the doc gave me Flomax and it passed 5 stones all 3-5mm in size within 30 minutes of me taking it. Since then no other Doctor would give it to me because "I didn't need it". Well finally yesterday my doc agreed with me and wrote the prescription I passes a 8mm stone 30 mins after taking the Flomax. I HIGHLY recommended this to anyone who is suffering from a kidney stone. It reduces the pain and makes the passing a WHOLE lot easier."

Eldar (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2014

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had a 6mm stone for almost a year without any problems. Almost a week ago I started having pain with the stone so I went to urologist. He put me on Flomax and pain medicine. He said if it didn't pass in a few days I would need surgery. I didn't want surgery especially because of the stint. I passed the stone a few hours after second dose of Flomax."

Lamerlemarks (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2014

"I have been taking Flomax for 7 days and drinking plenty of water and no I still have not passed either kidney stone. So I hope I can get relief super fast."

still no relief (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2014

"I had a jagged 3-4mm stone in my right kidney for months. It wasn't causing much pain, but it was causing regular bleeding. I gave up on it passing on its own and finally went to the family Dr. expecting to hear that I would need a surgical procedure. BUT, the Dr. put me on FloMax; and after just 10 days on this med I passed the stone with very little pain! I regret waiting so long to get help with it. The only side effect I had was the sexual dysfunction described, but it was so minimal it wasn't bothersome enough for me to stop taking the medicine. And the side effect went away after stopping the medicine."

OceanM (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2014

"I passed a 4mm stone about an hour after the first pill. So, yeah, I guess it worked OK for me."

flomax_fan (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2014

"I have bilateral medullary sponge kidney disease and pass stones almost daily. Although it does not relieve the pain, it does help pass the stones and prevent an obstruction. I no longer experience any of the side effects like dizziness, but I also take it at night. I have a history of cardiac reactions to medications and sometimes a stone will cause my heart rate to skyrocket to 160 with a blood pressure of 165/100, but it is clearly the stones and not caused by Flomax. My only complaint is that my insurance refuses to pay for this medicine because I am a woman. I don't think that is right, and I'm not going to accept that kind of discrimination. Even my doctor's office is surprised by the discrimination."

MSKer March 7, 2014

"Have been on it several times for stones. I actually request it from my doctor each time I have a problem stone. While it helps pass stones easily the dizziness is a major factor for myself. But I will continue to use it!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2013

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Helped pass large (7 mm) stone in 4 days."

marsha5352 August 27, 2012

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This seems like a miracle for pain from kidney stones in the ureter. The first stone that I tried it on had given me several quite significant bouts of pain and the 4-5 mm stone passed a couple days after starting with no additional pain. I have since used it on two other stones that turned out to be about 3 or 3-4 mm and have passed them with essentially no pain after starting Flomax. So, that is 3 stones passed with essentially no pain after taking the Flomax and a total of 6 pills of Flomax used. "

jshore March 17, 2012

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Urinary Tract Stones