User Reviews for Belsomra

Learn more about Belsomra.

Insomnia 56 reviews 105 medications

4.2
Summary of Belsomra reviews 56 reviews 4.2

Reviews for Belsomra

For Insomnia "Been on Ambien for five years, created tolerance and dependence. The doctor have me belsomra. Used it for two months, helped me wean off the ambien, but not at all to help me with my insomnia. Now trying trazadone, and it works for me."

Chispi01 August 20, 2015

For Insomnia "I've had insomnia for 32 years.I've tried every sleeping pill there is and all pills used off label for sleep.My latest cocktail of 10mg ambian and .1 mg of clonidine no longer works. I started Belsomra 1 week ago. 10mg didn't work but 20mg does. I take it an hour before bed. I sleep 5 or 6 hours a night. I don't feel tired when I wake up, but not exactly well rested either. I have a lot of dreams, but not nightmares and this is why I don't feel as well rested as I'd like to be I will continue to take it because 5 or 6 hours of sleep is better than my 2 hours on Ambien. I took advanage of the coupon for free trail. My copay is $125.00."

jackie2222 (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2015

For Insomnia "I haven't had a restorative night's sleep since 1996. Been on a long list of meds for sleep. Dx - chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia. But my sleep disorder is longer than that. On combo of Ambien 10 mg, klonopin 1 to 1.5 mg for years. Lately combo not working well like I developed a tolerance for it. Doctor looking for something that hasn't already failed for me to give a break from Ambien. One of meds prescribed to try is Belsomra 15 mg. Not sure it did anything. Awake for hours felt like I was starting to hallucinate, well just mildly. Tried it again for 3 days, each day would finally sleep for a few hours starting about 5 AM. Final day woke with blaster migraine. Not worth even the copay. On to the next ..."

sleepless in bklyn August 16, 2015

For Insomnia "For all you strugglers out there, there's an amazing drug called Seroquel. It will put you to sleep in an instant each and every night, I promise you. Just be careful what you wish for. The side effects are killer. I'm going onto Belsomra in a few days. I long for all the side effects you complain about. I think I would lie awake for a month if it meant I could get off Seroquel. But I sleep like the proverbial baby. I thought I was the only person in the world who suffered this much "

Central Valley Girl (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2015

For Insomnia "This drug is working. I have tried absolutely every drug in the past and have had insomnia and severe DSPS for my entire life. Everything else severely impacted restorative sleep. This drug works differently and seems to induce pretty natural restorative sleep which is a first for me. You have to get the timing right for it to work. If you take a lower dose too early before your natural sleep time you will not feel much, and a higher dose can cause lucid dreams and nightmares. Also it wears off quickly causing me to wake up too early. I'm willing to put up with the downsides because it actually is helping.I don't think people realize that this drug is not a knockout pill but unlike everything else can induce real sleep."

OllieR August 6, 2015

For Insomnia "I have tried it all. Haven't slept through one single night in over 15 YEARS...being the wife of a cop who works all whacked hours of the day and night is part of the reason. Dr told me about Belsomra and I figured, "What can it hurt?" - "What's worse than another night of disturbed sleep?" Well, I have experienced THE BEST sleep of my life on this medicine. I take it 1 - 2 hours before bedtime, fall asleep easily, STAY asleep ALL NIGHT without waking at all. I'm one amazed skeptic. I wake up refreshed without feeling like I need any extra sleep and without feeling groggy. I'm actually ready to BE AWAKE. The husband reports that I do NOT move all night! And those awesome, vivid dreams are an added bonus."

Police Wife (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2015

For Insomnia "This medication has its uses. I normally take my favorite sleep-aid Ambien XR, but do use Belsomra to take breaks off of it. It only works at max dose (20mg), and the side effects are being absolutely dead with energy the next day, and the worst is when you wake up. I would recommend trying the sample then see how it goes. It's a hit or miss."

Evilmage (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2015

For Insomnia "took 20 mg for 10 days never helped at all. Couldn't tell I had taken anything."

KimHart8828 August 6, 2015

For Insomnia "After taking Amitriptyline (sp), Ambien, trazadone, gabapentin & several others over the years for Insomnia my Dr. gave me a sample pack of Belsomra. It didn't help at all. It was like I didn't take anything. Hopefully they will come out with something that actually works."

Painterswife (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2015

For Insomnia "Absolutely the worst. Had a terrible night the first night I took this drug. Back to Ambiem. "

Bencun (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2015

For Insomnia "I was given samples of this after taking Triazolam for a while. I took it one night, it took forever to fall asleep, I slept for about 6 hours and had the most disturbing dream that kept waking me up and continuing when I fell back asleep. I'm not sure I want to try it again, and I don't reccomend."

Pandaman (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2015

For Insomnia "Not effective whatsoever. Took a 20mg dose and felt absolutely nothing. Very disappointing but luckily, I used the 10-day free trial voucher so I wasn't out any money."

Bambinichole (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

For Insomnia "This medicine is just like a sugar pill it should be taken off the market it waste peoples money"

Anonymous July 27, 2015

For Insomnia "I tried this one night, and it didn't do much. I have struggled with insomnia off and on for 30 years. I then took a 20 mg. dose, and it really helped. I woke up refreshed. If it continues to work like this, I will be very satisfied."

Zacker (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2015

For Insomnia "I have just experienced the worse night of my life due to 10 mg Belsorma. I read reviews, thought they had to be exaggerated..this medicine should not have been approved. Horrific hallucinations/nightmares.. Didn't know if I was awake or asleep . Terrifying. If you are contemplating using this drug, do not do it!!"

Liberal48 July 23, 2015

For Insomnia "I have been on Lunesta for approximately 10 years. Lunesta has it's ups and downs, but my doctor suggested trying something that was not a hypnotic. So, I stopped Lunesta for one month and went on 15, and then 20 mg of Belsomra. As best I can describe it, the Beslomra was interesting. Interesting, in that when I could fall asleep, it did feel much more natural. I would also wake up in the morning feeling tired and just wanting to lay in bed and relax. That is not a bad thing. However, it simply would not put me to sleep on most nights. Moreover, the tiredness feeling I experienced tended to linger all day. It was not a drugged feeling, but just a tiredness I could not shake. So, I went back to Lunesta. Not perfect, but does it's job well!"

InsomniaJay (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2015

For Insomnia "My doctor gave me a trial pack of Belsomra 15 mg about 2 months ago. It worked wonderfully. I am now in my second 30 pack of Belsomra 15 mg. It has given me my life back. Now, I sleep like a regular person and wake up feeling refreshed. I track my sleep using the Microsoft Band and have found that I get enough "restful" (I'm assuming this means REM), sleep every night. I want to note that Merck did not want to offer the very low doses of Belsomra as the medication does not work well if you take under 10 mg. My current dosage of 15 mg works great and I don't wake up groggy. I consider Belsomra a true revolution in sleep medicines. By the way, Merck subsidizes the cost of Belsomra for the first year. Look for the coupon."

Belsomra gave me my life back (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2015

For Insomnia "10 mg didn't work at all. Terrible side effects."

Mount 428 July 20, 2015

For Insomnia "Ambien didn't work for me at all and made me restless & crazy. Tried Belsomra 10 mg last night (I'm a small person and tend to be quite sensitive to meds). I think the dose was fine. Falling asleep was pleasant and reminded me of how I used to fall asleep before the insomnia -- all good. But it did not stop me from waking several times in the night, particularly between 2-4, with restlessness; I was able to return to sleep pretty quickly each time though. But after 9 hours, I woke feeling like I had been in REM sleep all night -- sort of skimming along the surface of sleep but not going deep for most of it. I don't feel refreshed at all and fell back asleep in the chair after a full cup of coffee. Not for me."

Lisa TX July 18, 2015

For Insomnia "Belsomra, for me, is the worst sleep aid I have ever taken. It seems to have the opposite effect on me, I can't sleep at all. Took it with a benzo after a couple of nights with Belsomra alone, worst sleep ever."

unsomnia July 18, 2015

For Insomnia "Everyone reacts differently to medication. Dosage: 10mg, Sex: Male, Age: 58, Diagnosis: Chronic Insomnia. I've take Belsomra 3 nights now with 1 to 2 hours of sleep each night. This is strange stuff, be careful. You feel tired but it does not shut your mind off, I laid in bed for 4 hours awake. At that point after 2 nights of not sleeping I think I would have fallen asleep any way from exhaustion. I did not think I was asleep but started to experiencing the strangest nightmares I have ever had. After another hour of this I did fall into a dream state sleep for sure. The dreams were extremely unusual and lucid ( like when taking Restoril) very strange. I fell in and out of sleep for about 2 hours then woke at 4 am and that was it."

briandoros (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2015

For Insomnia "Wanted to give a rating of 0, but that is not an option! My diagnosis is Primary Insomnia. Both my doctor and I though this would be the medication that would finally help. Well, it did not. Tried 10mg for 3 nights with no luck. Doctor upped me to 20mg. Tried 20mg for 3 more night and still did not work. By the end of 6 days using this junk with so little sleep I was fed up! Back to alternating my old standbys as they are inexpensive and effective. My old standby's are Dalmane (flurazepam) and Luminal (phenobarbital). My insurance did not cover the Belsomra, the trial voucher was only good for 10 tablets so the rest was paid out of pocket"

EyesWideOpenAllTheTime (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2015

For Insomnia "I had high hopes for Belsomra. My neuro mentioned it to me last Fall and I was first in line for a prescription when it became available in ~January. Ambien CR has proven effective over the years. Clonazepam is a great occasional substitute. But Belsomra? Nothing. No impact whatsoever. 20 mg, nothing. 40 mg, nothing. I'd happily pay the $100 per mon if it worked."

Not sleepy in NOVA (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2015

For Insomnia "I've tried everything from Ambien to low doses of anti-depressants to OTC medications, and none have worked as well as Belsomra. The sleepiness is overwhelming, but it feels completely natural (think of the kind of sleepiness you'd feel as a child after a long day of playing.) It's not a hypnotic like Ambien, so it doesn't get you high. It just makes you really sleepy. My doctor told me to take it 15 minutes before bed time. I thought it wasn't working at first because I was expecting a quick reaction. Turns out it takes about 1-2 hours to start feeling the effects. I now take it 1-2 hours before bed time and sleep like a baby. I've heard you can experience sleep paralysis on this drug. I haven't experienced anything negative yet."

Fernando Garza (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2015

For Insomnia "Was really disappointed. I started at 10mg (have taken Ambien IR 10mg for 2yrs). It actually worked great - maybe the first sleep aid that made me feel genuinely, naturally sleepy, not drugged and sedated. But after I went to sleep, I had 3 hrs of horrible, vivid nightmares that woke me up every 5 minutes panting & sweating. I also experienced sleep paralysis for the first time in my life. It was absolutely terrifying. I tried to keep at it for a few nights as several people have said the side effects go away quickly, and even tried only taking 5mg, but it was intolerable. Too bad. It is maybe worth noting that I take a handful of other meds including Seroquel, Klonopin, Lamictal, etc."

Rsx2102 (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2015