User Reviews for Belsomra

Learn more about Belsomra.

Belsomra Review Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Belsomra to treat Insomnia

"I loved it the first couple of nights. Then nothing. Then worse than nothing I wake up feeling very anxious. I need to get up and move even though I am still exhausted. Will try a few nights without it. Also, it doesn't help me fall asleep. I still need something else for that."

goodrunner (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2015

"I've seen 11 sleep docs in 4 states for my 16 yr old-sleep probs and don't have a diagnosis yet. The closest said the part of my brain that tells me when to be awake or asleep isn't working properly. He nailed it, thus my self-diagnosis of sleep-wake amalgamation. I've taken 19 meds, eg Ambien, Provigil, Klonopin, Rozerem, Vyvanse, Lunesta, Trazodone, Gabapentin, Mirtazapine & OTCs like melatonin & valerian. Of all, Belsomra is the only 1 that doesn't leave me groggy, druggy or sleepless, although a few were very beneficial and I still use with Belsomra. With Bel., I get more REM sleep and feel much sharper. My only disappointments are the slow sleep latency & very slow increase in deep sleep, likely due to Klonopin's GABAAR downregulation."

DJ45 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2015

"I have also tried just about everything, both Lunesta and Ambien did nothing at a low dose and at the higher dose caused me to sleep eat. When my physician offered me Belsomra I gave it a shot. This medication did nothing. I didn't feel sleepy I so could have operated heavy machinery. We upped the dose and it still didn't make me sleepy, but it made me mean! Angry, for no reason I never felt sedated just mad at the world after 2 weeks I stopped taking it. Totally disappointed this drug has worked for some but not me. I also had funny dreams which was strange."

No sleep in Brooklyn (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

"This drug should be taken at the 20mg strength. The trials were done at 20-60 mg, but the FDA forced Merck to make 10 mgs (that do not work but DO cause side effects). There's a long article in the new yorker about all of this. My main problem with this drug is that it's hit or miss. It shuts my mind off very well, but sometimes I wake up only 3 hours later. Even if it's 8 hours, I can be VERY tired the next day. But, sometimes I am great the next day! The inconsistency didn't improve after 10 days. I am also on klonopin, cymbalta, and neurontin, but I cannot stop those. The trials were biased because they only allowed "pure" insomniacs not on any other drugs or with any other conditions...how many people are like that?"

aka13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2015

"I've has severe insomnia since I was 15. I'm 64 now. I've tried everything in the book. Lunesta did nothing. Trazadone turned me into a zombie the next morning, though I slept. Regular Ambien helped, but within a year I was on Ambien CR. It worked 'most' nights for about five years, but has lost its effectiveness. My doctor gave me a sample of Belsomra, and he didn't really expect it to work. But it DID!!! It's amazing. It's the only thing I've ever tried that gave me these results. The drawback is going to be the price. I have to get it pre-authorized in order for Blue Cross to pay for it. Crossing my fingers. I Don't understand the talk about it giving you nightmares. I have had some of the funniest dreams I've ever had on this stuff."

Bill D. (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

"I am on the third month. I am still only achieving 3-4 hours of restless sleep each night despite dedicating 8 hours to laying in bed with my eyes mostly closed."

Tanth10428 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2015

"I eagerly awaited the release of Belsomra, and after some wrangling with my insurance carrier, I started the drug last week. Per my physician's instructions, I started at 5 mg - nothing. I advanced by 5 mg each night until I reached the maximum dosage of 20 mg. Still wide awake. It might has well have been a sugar pill for all the benefit I derived."

StillTired April 27, 2015

"This medication didn't work at all. 20 mg did not make me sleepy; rather I was in a half sleep and it caused me to breathe shallow, I caught myself several times and had to rouse myself from the half-sleep."

T4435 April 15, 2015

"Wide awake"

awakestill April 15, 2015

"Have suffered with insomnia for years. Tried many medications with Zolpidem ER (Generic Ambien ER) 12.5 the only one that helped. Even then, still was not getting great results at times. Tried 10 mg of Belsomra, hoping for a better result. This was one of the worst nights I have ever had in my life. Was wide awake until 4:30, followed by horrible, segmented, almost hallucinogenic dreams. After my alarm woke me, I was in the strangest state of mind, where I had to make myself speak. I finally told my husband, I'm sorry, I've got plenty of conversation in my head, but I have to MAKE myself speak. I was afraid to drive after this, and had my son drive me. This condition eventually got better. One dose. Never again."

MHHS April 12, 2015

"Mixed 10 mg first night with Seroquel and l Lyrica slept but felt sedated next day and groggy."

Turbowg April 10, 2015

"Started at 10 mg, no effect on sleep; now have gone up to 20 mg, still absolutely no effect on my insomnia. Extremely expensive, insurance won't cover. I wish I could go back to Mirtazapine, but I gained 70 lbs. in 6 months, and eat like a pig on that med, but Mirtazapine sleep was BEAUTIFUL (no other drug worked on me for sleep, including Trazodone and Ambien/Lunesta)."

lunksmoo April 4, 2015

"My doctor (a psychopharmologist-one who specializes in medication) started telling me about Belsomra 2 years ago. I have acute insomnia and no drug ever worked. He explained how Belsomra works in a completely different way than any other drug for sleep. He also explained that it took 2 years to get FDA approval because Merck (the manufacturer) was NOT willing to have it classified as an addictive controlled substance when the fact that addiction is far less than on any other drug for sleep. The FDA also had issues w/ the dose-studies show 15-20 mg is optimal. Merck finally "caved" to both issues but if you're taking 5-10 and it isn't working, ask about increasing it. Works for me!"

LynnBoston April 3, 2015

"It has been 10 days on the med. The dreams aren't as scary, and I have gone from 4 hours a night to 5...."

tanth10428 (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2015

"I haven't slept normally since adolescence. Tried Ambien and lots of sedatives. I had horrible problems with doing things while asleep and not remembering on Ambien, but it was the only way to get anything resembling sleep. Belsomra is amazing. I actually feel SLEEPY. I had only felt that as a child, or if sick. Some side effects seem to be happening, I got bronchitis, and have had awful dreams some nights, but I'm going to stick with it for a few weeks."

AmandaTired March 27, 2015

"I've been on Ambien for 10 years.. Although my tolerance has gone up it still does the job....I was looking fwd to Belsomra, I took 15 mg at 1025pm and felt nothing,, I took additional 5 mg and it made me sleep for two hours I woke up at 12:30 aM with a headache and a hangover. The rest of the night was uncomfortable torture.. I felt really tired but could not fall asleep.. Is this talk about Belsomr needing one or two weeks to be affected valid? Pretty disappointing fancy package with a fancy price and a miserable me sleep . Have others experience complete misery on the first night?"

neversleep (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2015

"I've had insomnia for over a year now and I had been taking a small amount of xanax at night and an ambien cr. I typically would get 5-6 hrs sleep with this combo. Not ideal but it is what it is. I heard of belsomra and asked my doc to write me a prescription. I haven't taken ambien for the past 3 nights as my script ran out and I was waiting on my pharmacy to get belsomra in. Anyways took belsomra 15 mg waited, nothing. Took remaining 5 mg an hour later still nothing. Basically laid in bed all night with very little light sleep. Sucks cuz this drug is expensive and was hoping it would work better than my current combo. Guess I'm going to have to stick with ambien. Might try Lunesta see how that works."

murph145 March 25, 2015

"I used 10 mg zopidem for 7 years. It worked like a charm. I went from 10 to 15 to 20 mg of this new stuff. Nothing. I'm just going to have to go one week Belsomra and 45 mg mirtazapine and one week zolpidem. I had such high hopes. But doesn't get rid of my sleep anxiety."

JS buggy buggy (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2015

"The pharmacist said the only side effect was vivid dreams. It is going down the Alice in Wonderland's rabbit hole. It is supposed to get better after a week. Here's hoping the pharmacist is right."

tanth10428 March 23, 2015

"Been on 10 and 15 mg. Sticking with 15 mg for now. It is working amazingly. I have been on literally everything over the counter and prescription meds so this was a hell marry and scored at the buzzer. I sleep all night and am out within an hour of taking it. I'm more alert and active then I have ever been and has helped with my depression."

kitkatattack123765 March 22, 2015

"Belsomra is a life-saver. I have tried Xanax, Klonopin, Halcion, Lunesta, Ambien, Sonata, you name it. All those medications I would feel like I was getting synthetic sleep and it was never restful, or restorative. With Belsomra, I take it about an hour before I feel like I want to go to bed. Get in bed as soon as possible and when you feel the slightest shift to feeling tired immediately shut everything down and go to bed. Don't fight the sleep, give into it when you feel it. It also helps you stay asleep and you will wake up feeling great! The sleep is very restful and the side effects (next day sleepiness) go away after about 5 days. This is all talking about the 20mg highest dose."

Evilmage March 17, 2015

"My insomnia is invincible to matter what I take. Or build tolerance quickly. Tried Belsomra 10 and 20 but it doesn't do anything. "

sndlt (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2015

"I'm in my thirties. I thought I'd give a new medicine a chance so I took this new Belsomra. I had the 10mg free trial from my doctor. Whoa... WEIRD STUFF. It did not help me fall asleep at all. I was spaced out and couldn't sleep. Then when I finally did fall asleep, I had a hard time getting up in the morning... about 12 hours after I took the Belsomra. My husband woke me up to get our kids ready for school and I couldn't think, I couldn't trust myself to drive our kids to school. The drugged out feeling lingered around all day. Completely shot my day. As a side note: I have been taking Ambien for about 6 years... never ever had this kind of experience with Ambien. No thank you!"

ssharib March 13, 2015

"Works great to get and keep you asleep."

sid46 March 10, 2015

"I've gone the rounds with sleeping pills since I suffer from a CNS disorder. Belsomra is different from the others I've tried in that, at least for me, it isn't incapacitating, meaning I get no "high" from it. At 20mg, the largest dose, it doesn't feel anything like Ambien did, where I was seeing things that weren't there. In a way, this was a little disappointing as I like that tired/druggy feeling to ease me to sleep, but what Belsomra actually did was send me off to sleep without me knowing about it, which is how I remember falling asleep as a kid. One minute you're laying there thinking, then the next you wake up and the clock has passed several hours. That's good enough for me."

grounden88 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2015