User Reviews for Belsomra

Learn more about Belsomra.

Belsomra Review Summary

4.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Belsomra to treat Insomnia

"I have had insomnia (specific diagnosis is sleep stage dysfunction) for over 4 years. I've been on Ambien, Ambien CR, Doxepin, Seroquel, Trazodone, Amitriptyline, Restoril, and now Belsomra. I have been following Belsomra and it's release for about 2 years now, and could not wait for it's approval! I'm so disappointed. Last night was my first night on the medication, and I had HORRIBLE nightmares! I laid awake for hours after I took it, and then fell asleep only to wake up periodically with these horrible nightmares. Ambien 10mg worked wonders for me for a while, but then lost its effectiveness as I became more tolerant to the dose. Plus, I had severe memory loss on Ambien, and I do not want to go back to that phase."

Rachele09 (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2015

"I have suffered from insomnia for about 15 years. Thyroid cancer only made it worse. Ambien stopped working and I tried every drug and over the counter med. I was given a three day trial of Belsomra and was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. This is not a knock out drug. It just makes you feel sleepy all night. I did have vivid dreams but they weren't unpleasant. None of the craziness of some of the other sleep meds just a good nights sleep. The only down side was I have a mild headache when I first wake up but it goes away quickly. It is expensive but they offer some really good coupons on their website. I recommend getting a free sample from your doc before you buy a months supply. Sweet dreams."

Tddy (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2015

"I too suffer from insomnia. I've been on ambien since I gave birth to my son. Every few months I have to stop taking it because it loses its effect on me. In February, I was one of the first persons to try Belsomra. 10mg was my dosage. It didn't work at all. My doctor told me to double up. I like that it focused of a different part of the brain. When it did work, after 2 pills, it was fine. Maybe I should try a new dose. I'm back on ambien until it wears off."

LJHK August 27, 2015

"I've always had trouble falling asleep and making my brain "turn off" even if I am exhausted. I have used lots of OTC sleep medicines but they just weren't cutting it anymore with some added stress in my life currently. Finally broke down and went to doctor for sleeping pills. Was a little scared at first because even without any sleep aids when I do sleep I have been known to sleep walk/talk in sleep/etc. Normally hard for me to fall asleep but once I'm out I am out cold and don't wake up. Anyway. No need in worrying about the side effects for me because I did not get a wink of sleep the first night I took it. Tonight is night #2 and I took it at 9:30. It is now 1 am and still here wide awake. Useless."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015

"Took ambien with no problems. Doctor wanted me to come off ambien and try Belsomra. He gave me samples. Took a 10mg dose and it didn't help me fall asleep or stay asleep. Up all night. Then- the weird nightmares. I had hours of vivid nightmarish dreams. Not good. Woke up exhausted. Why would anyone take this medication if it's going to give you nightmares? I'm already an insomniac. I don't need nightmares and hallucinations too. Going back to ambien."

Sleepless in SoCal August 26, 2015

"After taking Ambien CR for about four years it was loosing its effectiveness. My Dr. gave me samples in two different strengths. I tried the first for three nights. I experienced the most absurd dreams imaginable. I went to the stronger and the absurd dreams continued. My Dr. put me back on Ambien augmented with Trazodone. I'm sleeping like a baby. I hated the nightmares ."

Bill G. August 26, 2015

"Been on Ambien for five years, created tolerance and dependence. The doctor have me belsomra. Used it for two months, helped me wean off the ambien, but not at all to help me with my insomnia. Now trying trazadone, and it works for me."

Chispi01 August 20, 2015

"I've had insomnia for 32 years.I've tried every sleeping pill there is and all pills used off label for sleep.My latest cocktail of 10mg ambian and .1 mg of clonidine no longer works. I started Belsomra 1 week ago. 10mg didn't work but 20mg does. I take it an hour before bed. I sleep 5 or 6 hours a night. I don't feel tired when I wake up, but not exactly well rested either. I have a lot of dreams, but not nightmares and this is why I don't feel as well rested as I'd like to be I will continue to take it because 5 or 6 hours of sleep is better than my 2 hours on Ambien. I took advanage of the coupon for free trail. My copay is $125.00."

jackie2222 (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2015

"I haven't had a restorative night's sleep since 1996. Been on a long list of meds for sleep. Dx - chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia. But my sleep disorder is longer than that. On combo of Ambien 10 mg, klonopin 1 to 1.5 mg for years. Lately combo not working well like I developed a tolerance for it. Doctor looking for something that hasn't already failed for me to give a break from Ambien. One of meds prescribed to try is Belsomra 15 mg. Not sure it did anything. Awake for hours felt like I was starting to hallucinate, well just mildly. Tried it again for 3 days, each day would finally sleep for a few hours starting about 5 AM. Final day woke with blaster migraine. Not worth even the copay. On to the next ..."

sleepless in bklyn August 16, 2015

"For all you strugglers out there, there's an amazing drug called Seroquel. It will put you to sleep in an instant each and every night, I promise you. Just be careful what you wish for. The side effects are killer. I'm going onto Belsomra in a few days. I long for all the side effects you complain about. I think I would lie awake for a month if it meant I could get off Seroquel. But I sleep like the proverbial baby. I thought I was the only person in the world who suffered this much "

Central Valley Girl (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2015

"This drug is working. I have tried absolutely every drug in the past and have had insomnia and severe DSPS for my entire life. Everything else severely impacted restorative sleep. This drug works differently and seems to induce pretty natural restorative sleep which is a first for me. You have to get the timing right for it to work. If you take a lower dose too early before your natural sleep time you will not feel much, and a higher dose can cause lucid dreams and nightmares. Also it wears off quickly causing me to wake up too early. I'm willing to put up with the downsides because it actually is helping.I don't think people realize that this drug is not a knockout pill but unlike everything else can induce real sleep."

OllieR August 6, 2015

"I have tried it all. Haven't slept through one single night in over 15 YEARS...being the wife of a cop who works all whacked hours of the day and night is part of the reason. Dr told me about Belsomra and I figured, "What can it hurt?" - "What's worse than another night of disturbed sleep?" Well, I have experienced THE BEST sleep of my life on this medicine. I take it 1 - 2 hours before bedtime, fall asleep easily, STAY asleep ALL NIGHT without waking at all. I'm one amazed skeptic. I wake up refreshed without feeling like I need any extra sleep and without feeling groggy. I'm actually ready to BE AWAKE. The husband reports that I do NOT move all night! And those awesome, vivid dreams are an added bonus."

Police Wife (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2015

"This medication has its uses. I normally take my favorite sleep-aid Ambien XR, but do use Belsomra to take breaks off of it. It only works at max dose (20mg), and the side effects are being absolutely dead with energy the next day, and the worst is when you wake up. I would recommend trying the sample then see how it goes. It's a hit or miss."

Evilmage (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2015

"took 20 mg for 10 days never helped at all. Couldn't tell I had taken anything."

KimHart8828 August 6, 2015

"After taking Amitriptyline (sp), Ambien, trazadone, gabapentin & several others over the years for Insomnia my Dr. gave me a sample pack of Belsomra. It didn't help at all. It was like I didn't take anything. Hopefully they will come out with something that actually works."

Painterswife (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2015

"Absolutely the worst. Had a terrible night the first night I took this drug. Back to Ambiem. "

Bencun (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2015

"I was given samples of this after taking Triazolam for a while. I took it one night, it took forever to fall asleep, I slept for about 6 hours and had the most disturbing dream that kept waking me up and continuing when I fell back asleep. I'm not sure I want to try it again, and I don't reccomend."

Pandaman (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2015

"Not effective whatsoever. Took a 20mg dose and felt absolutely nothing. Very disappointing but luckily, I used the 10-day free trial voucher so I wasn't out any money."

Bambinichole (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

"This medicine is just like a sugar pill it should be taken off the market it waste peoples money"

Anonymous July 27, 2015

"I tried this one night, and it didn't do much. I have struggled with insomnia off and on for 30 years. I then took a 20 mg. dose, and it really helped. I woke up refreshed. If it continues to work like this, I will be very satisfied."

Zacker (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2015

"I have just experienced the worse night of my life due to 10 mg Belsorma. I read reviews, thought they had to be exaggerated..this medicine should not have been approved. Horrific hallucinations/nightmares.. Didn't know if I was awake or asleep . Terrifying. If you are contemplating using this drug, do not do it!!"

Liberal48 July 23, 2015

"I have been on Lunesta for approximately 10 years. Lunesta has it's ups and downs, but my doctor suggested trying something that was not a hypnotic. So, I stopped Lunesta for one month and went on 15, and then 20 mg of Belsomra. As best I can describe it, the Beslomra was interesting. Interesting, in that when I could fall asleep, it did feel much more natural. I would also wake up in the morning feeling tired and just wanting to lay in bed and relax. That is not a bad thing. However, it simply would not put me to sleep on most nights. Moreover, the tiredness feeling I experienced tended to linger all day. It was not a drugged feeling, but just a tiredness I could not shake. So, I went back to Lunesta. Not perfect, but does it's job well!"

InsomniaJay (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2015

"My doctor gave me a trial pack of Belsomra 15 mg about 2 months ago. It worked wonderfully. I am now in my second 30 pack of Belsomra 15 mg. It has given me my life back. Now, I sleep like a regular person and wake up feeling refreshed. I track my sleep using the Microsoft Band and have found that I get enough "restful" (I'm assuming this means REM), sleep every night. I want to note that Merck did not want to offer the very low doses of Belsomra as the medication does not work well if you take under 10 mg. My current dosage of 15 mg works great and I don't wake up groggy. I consider Belsomra a true revolution in sleep medicines. By the way, Merck subsidizes the cost of Belsomra for the first year. Look for the coupon."

Belsomra gave me my life back (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2015

"10 mg didn't work at all. Terrible side effects."

Mount 428 July 20, 2015

"Ambien didn't work for me at all and made me restless & crazy. Tried Belsomra 10 mg last night (I'm a small person and tend to be quite sensitive to meds). I think the dose was fine. Falling asleep was pleasant and reminded me of how I used to fall asleep before the insomnia -- all good. But it did not stop me from waking several times in the night, particularly between 2-4, with restlessness; I was able to return to sleep pretty quickly each time though. But after 9 hours, I woke feeling like I had been in REM sleep all night -- sort of skimming along the surface of sleep but not going deep for most of it. I don't feel refreshed at all and fell back asleep in the chair after a full cup of coffee. Not for me."

Lisa TX July 18, 2015