User Reviews for Belsomra

Learn more about Belsomra.

Belsomra Rating Summary

3.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Belsomra to treat Insomnia

"I've taken it for a week now and have very weird nightmares. Plus I wake up in the middle of the night or very early and can't get to sleep. It doesn't really help with falling asleep I've found. I'm not sure what it's done honestly."

Time2sleep February 5, 2016

"I was taking Ambien CR 12.5mg for 2 years sleeping great, but over time I developed a tolerance, I had to take my Ambien and a kolonpin to sleep. I started taking Belsomra 10mg a week ago, it works great! I recently have been crying at night bc I couldn't sleep, but this is working great. I'd say it lasts a good 7 hours for me, I'm not drowsy when I wake, the only side effect I have are really enhanced dreams, not scary just so detailed."

Ang558899 February 5, 2016

"Do not waste your time or money on this drug. I was hoping I would be able to break the ambien and lunesta cycle with this..Benadryl works better than Belsomra."

Sherib40 February 4, 2016

"I have severe Delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS) and insomnia. Belsomra does not help me with sleep onset. I get maybe 4 hours light sleep when I use 20 mg."

lifeissweet February 1, 2016

"I have suffered from Insomnia for many years. I have recently been on Trazadone with a occasional Valium.. the combination was working. But I wanted off the combination fearing I had been on them too long. My Doctor prescribed Belsomra 10 mg 1 at bedtime. HA, No freaking luck. I feel like I am taking a sugar pill. This medication is a JOKE. Normally this would have been a $300.00 trial but because of my past history I got a Pre-Auth and it was only $40.00. I to wish I could get my money back. I have now lost 2 nights sleep and can not afford another night. I am going back to my Trazadone tonight."

19deb62 January 28, 2016

"Worked for a few nights, but had terrible nightmares. After that nothing. Because they were $300 for a months supply, I decided to try it again after 2weeks. Slept 2 hours, with terrible nightmare. I paid the $300 and insurance would only reimburse me $123. Never again"

Dumb guppie January 28, 2016

"Nightmares turned into night terrors and then sleep paralysis. I was woke up one night by gritting my teeth and chewing on my own tongue for what may have been hours. Recovery took a week. Never slept past 3 hours. Be very cafeful, it could be dangerous"

Just another person (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

"I have trouble staying asleep. Doctor prescribed belsomra @ 5 mg. Fell asleep as I normally do, woke up 90 minutes later just like always. Took another 5mg, fell asleep, woke up every hour, on the hour. No effect at all. And I'm not withdrawing from ambien, I haven't tried any rx for insomnia."

Sandy Frank January 24, 2016

"Have tried other meds...had a sleep study. Very little sleep and very light sleep, broken up..so Doctor tried Belsomra..has been very helpful. Get about 7 hours with it, do dream more, but not unpleasant dreams. Haven't tried going off of it yet, so can't speak to withdrawal issues."

MT Sky January 24, 2016

"This prescription is useless. I had worse troubles sleeping on this medication. It was a nervous sleep and woke up in the middle of the night. I also was groggy all day at work the next day! I wanted to return it after the first night but of course the pharmacy would not return it. This drug is such a rip off. Stick to Ambien or Lunesta!"

Gator6171 January 22, 2016

"I asked my Doctor about Belsomra and he gave me some 20 mg samples. It works great. I had no side effects although I seem to build up a resistance to it every several weeks and have to go off it for about a week. Only bad side effect I have had is the price. Even with insurance, it is a sticker shock."

BKAZ January 17, 2016

"Went off of Trazadone and Ambien for a new drug by Merck called Belsomra with a 10mg per night starting point. I had the ABSOLUTE worst experience taking this pill and slept maybe 2-3 hours instead of the normal 7-8 on the old combination of meds. Initially I was able to fall asleep for about 1.5 hours but then could not return to sleep consistently after this. I Felt absolutely horrible and for the short sleep I was able to muster I had one of the worst nightmares I could ever remember! I do NOT recommend this medication and instead will return back to the old combination of Ambien and Trazadone which now continues to give me consistent sleep WITHOUT the horrible nightmares. AVOID BELSOMRA at ALL COSTS!"

MRS_MOUSE January 15, 2016

"Worse drug ever. Terrible groggy feeling next day. I usually take ambien 10 mg however since manufacturers have changed 2 North Star desperately I was seeking something else unfortunately this is definitely not the answer the next day you will feel like you've been run over by a train, depressed and unable to accomplish anything!!! Terrible stuff, warning do not resort to this garbage. ..it is just horrible. These are going straight in the trash, I'm going back to ambien tonite, at least w northstar , when u finally do go to sleep, you wake up refreshed!!!!!"

lmpamd January 15, 2016

"Works great for me"

Rwinklejr (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2016

"Did not work"

ram47587 January 14, 2016

"I had such a difficult time getting this approved through my insurance, however, finally I did for $80.00. What a huge disappointment!! I have suffered with chronic pain, degenerative arthritis, and insomnia for years. I was hopeful after watching the commercial, that finally I would find an effective medication. To my surprise, all it did was help keep me up all night, some ringing in the ears, and absolutely no rest!! Anyone who says this medication is helpful, must be experiencing the placebo effect."

Nite Toy January 14, 2016

"On rare occasions when it put me to sleep it gave me a steady stream of mini, vivid nightmares that had me awaken to a depression. Sometimes I'd have the steady, mini vivid dreams lucidly, always conscious and knowing what side I was lying on, and then drag through the next day exhausted. But most of the time no sleep nor vivid dreams; nada. But the worst thing about Belsomra is its constellation of side effects: stiff muscle tone with unexpected contractions and coordination problems, crazy-bad depression, irritability, confusion and memory problems. Beware."

Sl33py January 2, 2016

"No affect at all on me. Belsomra does not put me to sleep or even relax me. I never had a med the didn't do anything. Get something else. I was up all night and exhausted all day. It is useless. I tossed and turned in the dark trying to relax. Nada"

karielle (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2015

"Hilarious! It kept me AWAKE ALL Night. IT had no affect on me at all."

kariella (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015

"Precribed after many years of Ambien use. Took 5 mg.....nothing After an hour 5 more mg........after another hour 5more mg.....tossing and turning . No sleep. Back to Ambien."

Funl (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2015

"Absolutely did nothing,Lunesta is the best for me"

ertoe December 9, 2015

"It took awhile to go to sleep on 10 mg so I took an additional 10. Up to 20 mg is allowed. I slept great. My sleep was deep and when I had to go to bathroom twice, I wqs able to fall right back. Slept late in am. Will keep trying 10 but will take an hour before bed tonight. Has great potential for all us insomniacs."

Vickihhh December 8, 2015

"So horrible. Took 10 mg at 10. Still awake at 11: 30. Took 10 mg more and finally fell asleep at 12:30. Woke up at 3, super tired but unable to go to sleep. Side effects are a major headache in left side of head and super groggy because your tired but can't sleep."

Anonymous December 8, 2015

"As most pointed out here, pretty much useless. Had hoped for a new thing since I've had insomnia (actually, shifted phase sleep rhythm), for most my life. So for now, though it's losings it's effect due to being on it for years, I'd highly recommend Lunesta. (It's not perfect, but it does work, especially for double insomnia.) Also, a generic is now finally available (cheap and, just as important, it is the ONLY sleep med currently approved by the FDA for LONG TERM use! Ambien is NOT."

Skateeboy99 December 3, 2015

"You cannot be on Ambian and switch to this drug. It does not work on the same receptors and you will go into Ambian withdrawal in the first night, and blame in on this. I've been on Ambien for 2 years and been through withdrawal several times. Nightmares, muscle shocks and a quick dream of getting punched in the face that puts you in state of being afraid to fall back to sleep. 0 hours of sleep my first night. I went to work while having hallucinations. Don't blame the new drug, blame that it's being advertised as being an alternative."

Sirbolacus (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2015