User Reviews for Belsomra

Learn more about Belsomra.

Belsomra Review Summary

4.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Belsomra to treat Insomnia

"I was given samples of this after taking Triazolam for a while. I took it one night, it took forever to fall asleep, I slept for about 6 hours and had the most disturbing dream that kept waking me up and continuing when I fell back asleep. I'm not sure I want to try it again, and I don't reccomend."

Pandaman (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2015

"Not effective whatsoever. Took a 20mg dose and felt absolutely nothing. Very disappointing but luckily, I used the 10-day free trial voucher so I wasn't out any money."

Bambinichole (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

"This medicine is just like a sugar pill it should be taken off the market it waste peoples money"

Anonymous July 27, 2015

"I tried this one night, and it didn't do much. I have struggled with insomnia off and on for 30 years. I then took a 20 mg. dose, and it really helped. I woke up refreshed. If it continues to work like this, I will be very satisfied."

Zacker (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2015

"I have just experienced the worse night of my life due to 10 mg Belsorma. I read reviews, thought they had to be exaggerated..this medicine should not have been approved. Horrific hallucinations/nightmares.. Didn't know if I was awake or asleep . Terrifying. If you are contemplating using this drug, do not do it!!"

Liberal48 July 23, 2015

"I have been on Lunesta for approximately 10 years. Lunesta has it's ups and downs, but my doctor suggested trying something that was not a hypnotic. So, I stopped Lunesta for one month and went on 15, and then 20 mg of Belsomra. As best I can describe it, the Beslomra was interesting. Interesting, in that when I could fall asleep, it did feel much more natural. I would also wake up in the morning feeling tired and just wanting to lay in bed and relax. That is not a bad thing. However, it simply would not put me to sleep on most nights. Moreover, the tiredness feeling I experienced tended to linger all day. It was not a drugged feeling, but just a tiredness I could not shake. So, I went back to Lunesta. Not perfect, but does it's job well!"

InsomniaJay (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2015

"My doctor gave me a trial pack of Belsomra 15 mg about 2 months ago. It worked wonderfully. I am now in my second 30 pack of Belsomra 15 mg. It has given me my life back. Now, I sleep like a regular person and wake up feeling refreshed. I track my sleep using the Microsoft Band and have found that I get enough "restful" (I'm assuming this means REM), sleep every night. I want to note that Merck did not want to offer the very low doses of Belsomra as the medication does not work well if you take under 10 mg. My current dosage of 15 mg works great and I don't wake up groggy. I consider Belsomra a true revolution in sleep medicines. By the way, Merck subsidizes the cost of Belsomra for the first year. Look for the coupon."

Belsomra gave me my life back (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2015

"10 mg didn't work at all. Terrible side effects."

Mount 428 July 20, 2015

"Ambien didn't work for me at all and made me restless & crazy. Tried Belsomra 10 mg last night (I'm a small person and tend to be quite sensitive to meds). I think the dose was fine. Falling asleep was pleasant and reminded me of how I used to fall asleep before the insomnia -- all good. But it did not stop me from waking several times in the night, particularly between 2-4, with restlessness; I was able to return to sleep pretty quickly each time though. But after 9 hours, I woke feeling like I had been in REM sleep all night -- sort of skimming along the surface of sleep but not going deep for most of it. I don't feel refreshed at all and fell back asleep in the chair after a full cup of coffee. Not for me."

Lisa TX July 18, 2015

"Belsomra, for me, is the worst sleep aid I have ever taken. It seems to have the opposite effect on me, I can't sleep at all. Took it with a benzo after a couple of nights with Belsomra alone, worst sleep ever."

unsomnia July 18, 2015

"Everyone reacts differently to medication. Dosage: 10mg, Sex: Male, Age: 58, Diagnosis: Chronic Insomnia. I've take Belsomra 3 nights now with 1 to 2 hours of sleep each night. This is strange stuff, be careful. You feel tired but it does not shut your mind off, I laid in bed for 4 hours awake. At that point after 2 nights of not sleeping I think I would have fallen asleep any way from exhaustion. I did not think I was asleep but started to experiencing the strangest nightmares I have ever had. After another hour of this I did fall into a dream state sleep for sure. The dreams were extremely unusual and lucid ( like when taking Restoril) very strange. I fell in and out of sleep for about 2 hours then woke at 4 am and that was it."

briandoros (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2015

"Wanted to give a rating of 0, but that is not an option! My diagnosis is Primary Insomnia. Both my doctor and I though this would be the medication that would finally help. Well, it did not. Tried 10mg for 3 nights with no luck. Doctor upped me to 20mg. Tried 20mg for 3 more night and still did not work. By the end of 6 days using this junk with so little sleep I was fed up! Back to alternating my old standbys as they are inexpensive and effective. My old standby's are Dalmane (flurazepam) and Luminal (phenobarbital). My insurance did not cover the Belsomra, the trial voucher was only good for 10 tablets so the rest was paid out of pocket"

EyesWideOpenAllTheTime (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2015

"I had high hopes for Belsomra. My neuro mentioned it to me last Fall and I was first in line for a prescription when it became available in ~January. Ambien CR has proven effective over the years. Clonazepam is a great occasional substitute. But Belsomra? Nothing. No impact whatsoever. 20 mg, nothing. 40 mg, nothing. I'd happily pay the $100 per mon if it worked."

Not sleepy in NOVA (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2015

"I've tried everything from Ambien to low doses of anti-depressants to OTC medications, and none have worked as well as Belsomra. The sleepiness is overwhelming, but it feels completely natural (think of the kind of sleepiness you'd feel as a child after a long day of playing.) It's not a hypnotic like Ambien, so it doesn't get you high. It just makes you really sleepy. My doctor told me to take it 15 minutes before bed time. I thought it wasn't working at first because I was expecting a quick reaction. Turns out it takes about 1-2 hours to start feeling the effects. I now take it 1-2 hours before bed time and sleep like a baby. I've heard you can experience sleep paralysis on this drug. I haven't experienced anything negative yet."

Fernando Garza (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2015

"Was really disappointed. I started at 10mg (have taken Ambien IR 10mg for 2yrs). It actually worked great - maybe the first sleep aid that made me feel genuinely, naturally sleepy, not drugged and sedated. But after I went to sleep, I had 3 hrs of horrible, vivid nightmares that woke me up every 5 minutes panting & sweating. I also experienced sleep paralysis for the first time in my life. It was absolutely terrifying. I tried to keep at it for a few nights as several people have said the side effects go away quickly, and even tried only taking 5mg, but it was intolerable. Too bad. It is maybe worth noting that I take a handful of other meds including Seroquel, Klonopin, Lamictal, etc."

Rsx2102 (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2015

"Its very strange at first, serious nightmares, its almost like lucid dreaming, very 3D, and you have more ability to make decisions in the dream. It takes me at least 2 hrs for it to work, and I have taken it and stayed in bed for hours with a horrible nights sleep. It works different than ambien, it gives me a sedative feel. Make sure you have at least 7 hrs to sleep. Once you get used to it, the negative side effects I think go down. The half life is longer than Ambien and that's good but it still does not have the effect of a quick acting sleep med. More expensive too because its new and there is no generic yet."

bjdude June 12, 2015

"Belsomra didn't do anything for my insomnia. I was so hopeful because Ambien was causing me to lose my short-term memory. But Belsomra turned out to be unhelpful."

RichPope June 8, 2015

"Was on Ambien and doing well and the doctor told me since I was over 65 I could not have it any longer. Tried Trazadone, Rozarem and then Belsomra. I got maybe 2-3 hours sleep on the Belsomra if that and the dreams were axe murderer vivid. I also developed leg weakness and found my insurance copay was over $100.00! I finally am back on my Ambien and am sleeping my usual 8 hours with no hangover in the morning and no axe murderer dreams. Am very disappointed in Belsomra as I had watched its' development for awhile and had high hopes."

sleepless in Springfield June 3, 2015

"Started at 15 mg, but found it ineffective. Then 20 mg worked only marginally. Found that 30 to 40 mg works great and I wake up far more refreshed than with ambien or lunesta. I know that exceeds the recommended dosage (and requires a pill cutter for 30 mg), but I don't care. That's what works for me."

TXP (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2015

"I loved it the first couple of nights. Then nothing. Then worse than nothing I wake up feeling very anxious. I need to get up and move even though I am still exhausted. Will try a few nights without it. Also, it doesn't help me fall asleep. I still need something else for that."

goodrunner (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2015

"I've seen 11 sleep docs in 4 states for my 16 yr old-sleep probs and don't have a diagnosis yet. The closest said the part of my brain that tells me when to be awake or asleep isn't working properly. He nailed it, thus my self-diagnosis of sleep-wake amalgamation. I've taken 19 meds, eg Ambien, Provigil, Klonopin, Rozerem, Vyvanse, Lunesta, Trazodone, Gabapentin, Mirtazapine & OTCs like melatonin & valerian. Of all, Belsomra is the only 1 that doesn't leave me groggy, druggy or sleepless, although a few were very beneficial and I still use with Belsomra. With Bel., I get more REM sleep and feel much sharper. My only disappointments are the slow sleep latency & very slow increase in deep sleep, likely due to Klonopin's GABAAR downregulation."

DJ45 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2015

"I have also tried just about everything, both Lunesta and Ambien did nothing at a low dose and at the higher dose caused me to sleep eat. When my physician offered me Belsomra I gave it a shot. This medication did nothing. I didn't feel sleepy I so could have operated heavy machinery. We upped the dose and it still didn't make me sleepy, but it made me mean! Angry, for no reason I never felt sedated just mad at the world after 2 weeks I stopped taking it. Totally disappointed this drug has worked for some but not me. I also had funny dreams which was strange."

No sleep in Brooklyn (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

"This drug should be taken at the 20mg strength. The trials were done at 20-60 mg, but the FDA forced Merck to make 10 mgs (that do not work but DO cause side effects). There's a long article in the new yorker about all of this. My main problem with this drug is that it's hit or miss. It shuts my mind off very well, but sometimes I wake up only 3 hours later. Even if it's 8 hours, I can be VERY tired the next day. But, sometimes I am great the next day! The inconsistency didn't improve after 10 days. I am also on klonopin, cymbalta, and neurontin, but I cannot stop those. The trials were biased because they only allowed "pure" insomniacs not on any other drugs or with any other conditions...how many people are like that?"

aka13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2015

"I've has severe insomnia since I was 15. I'm 64 now. I've tried everything in the book. Lunesta did nothing. Trazadone turned me into a zombie the next morning, though I slept. Regular Ambien helped, but within a year I was on Ambien CR. It worked 'most' nights for about five years, but has lost its effectiveness. My doctor gave me a sample of Belsomra, and he didn't really expect it to work. But it DID!!! It's amazing. It's the only thing I've ever tried that gave me these results. The drawback is going to be the price. I have to get it pre-authorized in order for Blue Cross to pay for it. Crossing my fingers. I Don't understand the talk about it giving you nightmares. I have had some of the funniest dreams I've ever had on this stuff."

Bill D. (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

"I am on the third month. I am still only achieving 3-4 hours of restless sleep each night despite dedicating 8 hours to laying in bed with my eyes mostly closed."

Tanth10428 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2015