User Reviews for Imitrex

Learn more about Imitrex.

Cluster Headaches 20 reviews 35 medications

8.4
Migraine 97 reviews 81 medications

7.8
Summary of Imitrex reviews 117 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Imitrex

For Migraine "I was diagnosed with severe painful and silent migraines a few months ago, but the neurologist said I've most likely suffered from silent migraines my entire life (I'm 17 by the way), but recently they have started getting painful. Imitrex was the first medication I was put on. I was excited to start feeling better, but imitrex made me feel awful. I suffer from extreme nausea before, during and after a migraine and it's completely life ruining. I've tried imitrex many times, in hopes of it finally working. Every time I'd take it, I'd get a horrible burning in my throat, and my migraine would worsen. It didn't help nausea, aura, pain or any other migraine symptoms I suffer from. I've recently been put on another medication that'll hopefully work."

SleepyLilV (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

For Migraine "I don't like it at all. Have taken 2 times and causes me to yawn alot and jaw tightness. Makes me feel really weird."

BarbsA April 4, 2016

For Cluster Headaches "Well I was having really bad cluster headaches, I took an imitrex for the first time. With in 15 mins I was projectile vomiting and having bad stomach cramps. The taste stayed in my mouth for hours. My headache has went down some but it was still there."

Scarleezzy (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2016

For Cluster Headaches "Pain would cease within 15 minutes."

Seeker0000000000000000001 January 28, 2016

For Migraine "I'm only 16 and I was prescribed it at 15 and told only to take it when my migraines were unbearable. Every time I have taken it I usually get a really sick feeling, such as hot flashes, weakness, nausea, and dizzy. There's always like a feeling that my brain is being frozen over from where the migraine mostly is. But I always take it and go straight to sleep except for last night. I stayed up and I was seeing and hearing things that weren't there, I couldn't do simple tasks, I forgot where my room was after my boyfriend told me to drink some water, I cried over everything, I was scared of everything. Staying awake for me was horrifying."

smtripp January 12, 2016

For Migraine "I have been suffering from migraine's since around 16 and now at 36 although they have became less frequent over the years. They are horrible as I usually am out for the entire day bedridden in a dark room. I have always been very paranoid to try a actual migraine medicine so have taken vicodin for the pain. I recently had a migraine at work and decided to try a imitrex my doctor prescribed me. I was nervous to try it but am so happy I did. I waited a few minutes of having the migraine before I took it but it relieved me of my migraine within 30 minutes. I did experience some effects like muscle stiffness in my neck, tightness in my face and a burning feeling in my nose and forehead for about a hour but I'll take that any day over a migraine."

one man down then back up December 22, 2015

For Migraine "Helpless migraine victim for 20 years. My Dr. Recommended imitrex, so I took it. I took one 100mg, it tasted horrible, I had an upset stomach for almost 4 hours. I did get a heartburn feeling in my chest, hotflash, mood swings but my Migraine disappeared. I will speak to my neurologist regarding my side effects. I would consider using imitrex again in the future."

Mother of 6 December 11, 2015

For Migraine "After 20+ years of taking this medicine it has lead up to hair thinning out severely, full body muscle pain and weakness as a side effect and a possible stroke. It works to get rid of the migraine but this what happens when you take it long term."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) November 6, 2015

For Migraine "I have tried this medication in the past and it did not work for me, but now after revisiting the drug with years of migraines of no relief I have found that it works well for me now. I tend to have extreme nausea and vomiting with my severe headaches, so I also use the nasal spay form (depending on how nauseated I am) They both work well if taken early in the migraine. I did however have severe reaction the first 2-3 times taking it (nausea, vomiting, abdominal upset) but I forced myself to take it again. Now my experience is "head tightening" which I see can be common with this drug and after about 15 minutes of this, I feel a "loosening" and finally relief. I have not experienced any other symptoms with tablet form."

Vanessa McC September 18, 2015

For Migraine "Love this med. The only issue I have is that I get a hot flash/face flushing feeling 10 minutes after taking it. It stops 10 min later. It is well worth having the migraine gone all day!"

Kooski September 16, 2015

For Migraine "I have been getting migraines off and on since around the age of 16, and am now 25. Most of my migraines are due to my allergies during the spring/summer. But they seem to be even worse during the colder months. This medication works wonders for me. The only thing I seem to notice is a bit of dizziness after the medicene wears off. But I would much rather have a little dizziness rather than being bedridden, light/sound sensitivity, migraine, and nausea/vomiting."

joanie33 August 25, 2015

For Migraine "This drug give me hallucinations And made my body tingle."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2015

For Migraine "Saved my life. Nothing else worked. Other drugs intensified the headache. I much prefer the injection. Less of the drug is needed and the effective result occurs more quickly. Side effects - I can get night/sleep sweats and have "odd" dreams that do not otherwise occur."

RCCThatsme May 29, 2015

For Cluster Headaches "Imatrex has helped me 100% with my cluster headaches. Certain foods trigger these painful headaches and even though I know most of the triggers and even though I try to avoid them its impossible to eat and not have at least one or two of these triggers in my food. My doctor tried me on several pain meds for these headaches but nothing worked. The headaches got so bad I was literally pulling my hair out and was thinking about suicide. Then my doctor gave me Imatrex. As long as I know I have access to Imatrex I am fine. I finally went to a wonderful neurologist who has been very patient in trying other meds to work with the Imatrex. I do take the generic of Imatrex."

DsisyInFlorida (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2015

For Migraine "From the moment I started taking Imitrex in 1996 it has worked wonderfully for me with probably only two or three occasions over the years where a headache has persistent . It is been my wonder drug. I do get very frequent migraines and take as little of it is possible but I will normally take 10 to 12 50mg tablets per month with few if any side effects."

Strbuk May 18, 2015

For Migraine "3 days on medicine caused extreme muscle pains, tiredness and weakness. Also facial flushing, tingling, hot and cold flashes, blurred vision, malaise, increased urination, lack of concentration."

heavy painful head (taken for 10 years or more) April 2, 2015

For Migraine "Thank you SCIENCE for this medication! My migraines used to immobilize me and now I finally have relief thanks to this med. Better living through modern science."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2015

For Migraine "Works well for my migraines. First couple of times taking it, caused my jaw to feel tight, and makes me pretty sleepy."

CatieB1987 (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2015

For Migraine "Works the best if you only take it once or twice a month. I've had problems with rebound headaches, even when I take this with sodium naproxen. It can also leave me feeling a bit groggy."

clinohumite November 19, 2014

For Migraine "Great. I've taken it twice and didn't experience any major side effects. Kicked in after 20-30 minutes, was fully ready to go at 60 minutes after. That said I did experience some side effects including: -mild heartburn-like feeling during the first 1-2 hours after taking it. -moderate heaviness/tightness in my jaw that lasted just about 12 hours after taking. -some drowsiness -some mild neck pain (which could have been the migraine) -a tightness/tingling (very mild) in my forearms. But I'm free and clear of the headache. Definitely plan on taking again"

headacher1000 November 3, 2014

For Migraine "Taken at the beginning of symptoms it stops the headache within 30 minutes."

vick142 October 23, 2014

For Migraine "My husband has always what's called prostrating attacks, which is a form of a migraine that leaves him in so much pain he can't function at all! The only medication that has ever worked on him is the Imitrex. This stuff is awesome! The only thing that is irritating is every time I get his prescription filled the pharmacist try to give him the Sumatriptan (the generic version) which makes him so sick he will throw up nonstop for hours. So I always have to tell them he needs the name brand, and I have gotten into many arguments with pharmacists trying to tell me it's the same thing. IT'S NOT!!!! When my husband takes Imitrex his migraine is gone within minutes, he takes a Sumatriptan and I feel like I need to take him to a hospital."

housewifeandmother September 22, 2014

For Migraine "Imitrex did not work for me. I have not reached the vomiting stage of a migraine in years thanks to other medications. Imitrex did nothing to stop the progression of my migraine. I had to leave work in the middle of the afternoon, feeling as if I would vomit at my desk, in the hallway, in the elevator, walking to the parking garage, the entire way. Aleve works better than this stuff, and Aleve only keeps nausea at bay, but does not cure migraines for me."

anonymous 30's female (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2014

For Migraine "I have had migraines since my teens and until I was prescribed the Imitrex (Injectable), I suffered severely. I thank GOD for this medicine and can't imagine life without it."

s1ppi (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2014

For Migraine "I have suffered from migraines all my life and I am now 57. I was prescribed Imitrex at age 39 and the first dose of 50mg gave me a tightness in my throat but it stopped the migraine. I suffered with them every day. I finally figured out that MSG in food was the biggest cause of the migraine. MSG is disguised by many names but I have eliminated a lot of food and with the help of Imitrex, I can live an almost normal life without a migraine. Imitrex sometimes makes me sleep a lot and other times I sleep for about 30 minutes and I'm fine. I praise the makers of Imitrex because nothing else would completely take the pain away!"

Cynhawk (taken for 10 years or more) July 15, 2014