User Reviews for Imitrex

Learn more about Imitrex.

Cluster Headaches 17 reviews 35 medications

8.7
Migraine 86 reviews 77 medications

Summary of Imitrex reviews 103 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Imitrex

For Migraine "From the moment I started taking Imitrex in 1996 it has worked wonderfully for me with probably only two or three occasions over the years where a headache has persistent . It is been my wonder drug. I do get very frequent migraines and take as little of it is possible but I will normally take 10 to 12 50mg tablets per month with few if any side effects."

Strbuk May 18, 2015

For Migraine "3 days on medicine caused extreme muscle pains, tiredness and weakness. Also facial flushing, tingling, hot and cold flashes, blurred vision, malaise, increased urination, lack of concentration."

heavy painful head (taken for 10 years or more) April 2, 2015

For Migraine "Thank you SCIENCE for this medication! My migraines used to immobilize me and now I finally have relief thanks to this med. Better living through modern science."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2015

For Migraine "Works well for my migraines. First couple of times taking it, caused my jaw to feel tight, and makes me pretty sleepy."

CatieB1987 (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2015

For Migraine "Works the best if you only take it once or twice a month. I've had problems with rebound headaches, even when I take this with sodium naproxen. It can also leave me feeling a bit groggy."

clinohumite November 19, 2014

For Migraine "Great. I've taken it twice and didn't experience any major side effects. Kicked in after 20-30 minutes, was fully ready to go at 60 minutes after. That said I did experience some side effects including: -mild heartburn-like feeling during the first 1-2 hours after taking it. -moderate heaviness/tightness in my jaw that lasted just about 12 hours after taking. -some drowsiness -some mild neck pain (which could have been the migraine) -a tightness/tingling (very mild) in my forearms. But I'm free and clear of the headache. Definitely plan on taking again"

headacher1000 November 3, 2014

For Migraine "Taken at the beginning of symptoms it stops the headache within 30 minutes."

vick142 October 23, 2014

For Migraine "My husband has always what's called prostrating attacks, which is a form of a migraine that leaves him in so much pain he can't function at all! The only medication that has ever worked on him is the Imitrex. This stuff is awesome! The only thing that is irritating is every time I get his prescription filled the pharmacist try to give him the Sumatriptan (the generic version) which makes him so sick he will throw up nonstop for hours. So I always have to tell them he needs the name brand, and I have gotten into many arguments with pharmacists trying to tell me it's the same thing. IT'S NOT!!!! When my husband takes Imitrex his migraine is gone within minutes, he takes a Sumatriptan and I feel like I need to take him to a hospital."

housewifeandmother September 22, 2014

For Migraine "Imitrex did not work for me. I have not reached the vomiting stage of a migraine in years thanks to other medications. Imitrex did nothing to stop the progression of my migraine. I had to leave work in the middle of the afternoon, feeling as if I would vomit at my desk, in the hallway, in the elevator, walking to the parking garage, the entire way. Aleve works better than this stuff, and Aleve only keeps nausea at bay, but does not cure migraines for me."

anonymous 30's female (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2014

For Migraine "I have had migraines since my teens and until I was prescribed the Imitrex (Injectable), I suffered severely. I thank GOD for this medicine and can't imagine life without it."

s1ppi (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2014

For Migraine "I have suffered from migraines all my life and I am now 57. I was prescribed Imitrex at age 39 and the first dose of 50mg gave me a tightness in my throat but it stopped the migraine. I suffered with them every day. I finally figured out that MSG in food was the biggest cause of the migraine. MSG is disguised by many names but I have eliminated a lot of food and with the help of Imitrex, I can live an almost normal life without a migraine. Imitrex sometimes makes me sleep a lot and other times I sleep for about 30 minutes and I'm fine. I praise the makers of Imitrex because nothing else would completely take the pain away!"

Cynhawk (taken for 10 years or more) July 15, 2014

For Cluster Headaches "Imitrex in any form is the Best med for Cluster headaches by far. High flow oxygen at first twinge, and the pill at the onset (even if you think it might hurt) Most effective. You all know how fast they come on. Usually work immediately unless late in a cycle. I too wish you could take more than twice in a 24 hr period. After suffering for almost 20 yrs with no medicine at All. For these crippling things. I have tried all Imitrex types, injections ,pills, nasal sprays. Injections are fast but so very expensive and painful as well. Nasal spray is nauseating for me, the pill form has always worked well if taken at the very BLINK of headache. Because of price and insurance restrictions I would wait to take the medicine. Not anymore."

John ( Cluster Sufferer 35 yrs ) July 2, 2014

For Cluster Headaches "I have been using Imitrex since it first came out in the 90's. It was a God send. I've had migraines for 42 years. I get about six migraines a month. Imitrex always works BUT for me I pay a price with stomach aches. Sometimes I refrain from taking Imitrex for fear of the stomach pains."

Lynn Rose Miles June 22, 2014

For Migraine "I had a few small reactions, but it took care of it, and it was gone after some sleep"

Oh it hurts (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2014

For Cluster Headaches "Imitrex works very well for my eyeball pain, light and odour, toxic smells, nasal stuffiness that leads to migraines. Migraines. I am sensitive to gluten of all kinds, if I ingest some, I WILL get nasal stuffiness that will lead to a migraine or cluster headaches. Imitrex works in 45 mins, sometimes sleep is needed to take it away. Sometimes I get migraines for a week or so. Sometimes I take it as a last resort, after trying allergy meds, Tylenol or Valium. But Imitrex works for me. I eat very healthy, no breads of any kind, no gluten, very little sugar. I read all labels, eat mostly veges and meat, mostly organic, I'm getting better at that. "

June moon May 23, 2014

For Migraine "Not always effective."

mpsprowl (taken for 10 years or more) April 28, 2014

For Migraine "First month prescription for 20, 50mg tablets. If I take at the first sign of headache goes away about 30 min. If wait to take tablet takes up two hours for the pain to stop. Since I have daily migraines tried waiting to save tablets, concerned run out of 50mg tablets prior to refill date. The Imitrex has been God sent for me. I have had migraines since my teens now in my sixities. Migranies only health probem I have. Plan to call my doctor let know how well Imitrex works for me and see if 30 day prescription or stronger prescription is what I need. From other reviews appears some users go days between headaches, that would be more than I ever expected after all these years."

Ben W March 28, 2014

For Migraine "I come from a family where everyone has terrible migraines. When I started getting them at age 21, I resorted to taking loads of Tylenol with Pesudophedrine to "mask" the pain, which took a heavy toll on my liver. Someone suggested that I look into the Triptan family of migraine medication. After going through a few different ones, I found Imitrex to be an absolute life-saver. Whenever I feel one coming, I take 50mg and the migraine usually disappears within 30 minutes. If I wait a few hours to take it, the response time could be more like 90 minutes. With 10-15 migraines a month, Imitrex is essentially the only thing that allows me to function. I have not seen any real side effects."

MSII February 24, 2014

For Migraine "I have suffered from debilitating migraines for over 20 years. I feel like I have tried everything. Imitrex shots gave me my life back. After taking a shot I normally need to lay down for 15 min but then I feel great. I used to suffer for at least 3 days. I never had any side effects."

berlygirl (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 15, 2013

For Cluster Headaches "This is a miracle for me. Cluster headaches would put me out of commission for 2 days. Imitrex gets rid of the intense pain of my eye feeling like it might pop out of my head! The first few times I took it I had side effects of the heavy feeling on my chest and in my muscles after 3x I can take with no side effects. I've only taken it 5x but still working great."

Debbie42 December 4, 2013

For Migraine "Works super fast and well. Gets rid of my migraines fast when I take with a Motrin 800, BUT......it makes me sweat buckets. I took it at work before my shift and 2 hours later my migraine was gone but I had sweated through 2 shirts and was visibly dripping. It was pretty bad. It does it every time I take it so I try not to use it if I can help it."

Amc12390 November 16, 2013

For Migraine "I have taken Imitrex ever since it came out in the 90s. It works and I'll be forever grateful that it does. If you, like me, know what it was like to get migraines before Imitrex came out, you'll understand why I sing its praise."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) November 9, 2013

For Migraine "The only medication that works for my migraines, that last typically 3 days at a time, right side of my head, in my eye, down the back of my neck and upper back. I take the 100mg tablet, 1 every 12 hours, or when I feel it coming back on. Imitrex kicks in within 20 minutes of taking it. As close to instant relief as you can get. GREAT medication."

jaqpink September 21, 2013

For Migraine "Imitrex has truly been a miracle for me. I'm 36 and I've been having terrible headaches since as far back as I can remember. No over the counter medication ever made any difference in the pain at all. 5 years ago I was prescribed Imitrex and it has literally changed my life. It normally takes an hour or two for it to kick in for me, but when it does, it completely takes my headache away. I have never had any side effects either."

Steveo2 August 5, 2013

For Migraine "I completely rely on Imitrex. Once I had this the day-long headaches are gone. I now know that what I used to call "sinus headaches" were migraines I had since a teenager, though not bad until into my 40s. My side effects are a little sleepiness and maybe some tiredness, but nothing compared to the debilitation of a migraine. However I am much more aggressive with eliminating triggers, particularly MSG and processed foods, and this helps. My better diet has reduced my need for Imitrex down to 2-3 times a month."

xzamband June 26, 2013