User Reviews for Imitrex

Learn more about Imitrex.

Cluster Headaches 17 reviews 35 medications

8.7
Migraine 79 reviews 77 medications

Summary of Imitrex reviews 96 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Imitrex

Review by housewifeandmother:

For Migraine: My husband has always what's called prostrating attacks, which is a form of a migraine that leaves him in so much pain he can't function at all! The only medication that has ever worked on him is the Imitrex. This stuff is awesome! The only thing that is irritating is every time I get his prescription filled the pharmacist try to give him the Sumatriptan (the generic version) which makes him so sick he will throw up nonstop for hours. So I always have to tell them he needs the name brand, and I have gotten into many arguments with pharmacists trying to tell me it's the same thing. IT'S NOT!!!! When my husband takes Imitrex his migraine is gone within minutes, he takes a Sumatriptan and I feel like I need to take him to a hospital.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 22, 2014 6:04 PM

Review by anonymous 30's female (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine: Imitrex did not work for me. I have not reached the vomiting stage of a migraine in years thanks to other medications. Imitrex did nothing to stop the progression of my migraine. I had to leave work in the middle of the afternoon, feeling as if I would vomit at my desk, in the hallway, in the elevator, walking to the parking garage, the entire way. Aleve works better than this stuff, and Aleve only keeps nausea at bay, but does not cure migraines for me.

August 4, 2014 7:17 PM

Review by s1ppi (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine: I have had migraines since my teens and until I was prescribed the Imitrex (Injectable), I suffered severely. I thank GOD for this medicine and can't imagine life without it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2014 10:24 AM

Review by Cynhawk (taken for 10 years or more):

For Migraine: I have suffered from migraines all my life and I am now 57. I was prescribed Imitrex at age 39 and the first dose of 50mg gave me a tightness in my throat but it stopped the migraine. I suffered with them every day. I finally figured out that MSG in food was the biggest cause of the migraine. MSG is disguised by many names but I have eliminated a lot of food and with the help of Imitrex, I can live an almost normal life without a migraine. Imitrex sometimes makes me sleep a lot and other times I sleep for about 30 minutes and I'm fine. I praise the makers of Imitrex because nothing else would completely take the pain away!

July 15, 2014 3:27 AM

Review by John ( Cluster Sufferer 35 yrs ):

For Cluster Headaches: Imitrex in any form is the Best med for Cluster headaches by far. High flow oxygen at first twinge, and the pill at the onset (even if you think it might hurt) Most effective. You all know how fast they come on. Usually work immediately unless late in a cycle. I too wish you could take more than twice in a 24 hr period. After suffering for almost 20 yrs with no medicine at All. For these crippling things. I have tried all Imitrex types, injections ,pills, nasal sprays. Injections are fast but so very expensive and painful as well. Nasal spray is nauseating for me, the pill form has always worked well if taken at the very BLINK of headache. Because of price and insurance restrictions I would wait to take the medicine. Not anymore.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 2, 2014 12:48 PM

Review by Lynn Rose Miles:

For Cluster Headaches: I have been using Imitrex since it first came out in the 90's. It was a God send. I've had migraines for 42 years. I get about six migraines a month. Imitrex always works BUT for me I pay a price with stomach aches. Sometimes I refrain from taking Imitrex for fear of the stomach pains.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 22, 2014 9:02 AM

Review by Oh it hurts (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine: I had a few small reactions, but it took care of it, and it was gone after some sleep

June 12, 2014 10:50 PM

Review by June moon:

For Cluster Headaches: Imitrex works very well for my eyeball pain, light and odour, toxic smells, nasal stuffiness that leads to migraines. Migraines. I am sensitive to gluten of all kinds, if I ingest some, I WILL get nasal stuffiness that will lead to a migraine or cluster headaches. Imitrex works in 45 mins, sometimes sleep is needed to take it away. Sometimes I get migraines for a week or so. Sometimes I take it as a last resort, after trying allergy meds, Tylenol or Valium. But Imitrex works for me. I eat very healthy, no breads of any kind, no gluten, very little sugar. I read all labels, eat mostly veges and meat, mostly organic, I'm getting better at that.

May 23, 2014 2:18 AM

Review by mpsprowl (taken for 10 years or more):

For Migraine: Not always effective.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 28, 2014 11:36 AM

Review by Ben W:

For Migraine: First month prescription for 20, 50mg tablets. If I take at the first sign of headache goes away about 30 min. If wait to take tablet takes up two hours for the pain to stop. Since I have daily migraines tried waiting to save tablets, concerned run out of 50mg tablets prior to refill date. The Imitrex has been God sent for me. I have had migraines since my teens now in my sixities. Migranies only health probem I have. Plan to call my doctor let know how well Imitrex works for me and see if 30 day prescription or stronger prescription is what I need. From other reviews appears some users go days between headaches, that would be more than I ever expected after all these years.

March 28, 2014 9:55 PM

Review by MSII:

For Migraine: I come from a family where everyone has terrible migraines. When I started getting them at age 21, I resorted to taking loads of Tylenol with Pesudophedrine to "mask" the pain, which took a heavy toll on my liver. Someone suggested that I look into the Triptan family of migraine medication. After going through a few different ones, I found Imitrex to be an absolute life-saver. Whenever I feel one coming, I take 50mg and the migraine usually disappears within 30 minutes. If I wait a few hours to take it, the response time could be more like 90 minutes. With 10-15 migraines a month, Imitrex is essentially the only thing that allows me to function. I have not seen any real side effects.

February 24, 2014 2:27 AM

Review by berlygirl (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Migraine: I have suffered from debilitating migraines for over 20 years. I feel like I have tried everything. Imitrex shots gave me my life back. After taking a shot I normally need to lay down for 15 min but then I feel great. I used to suffer for at least 3 days. I never had any side effects.

December 15, 2013 12:07 AM

Review by Debbie42:

For Cluster Headaches: This is a miracle for me. Cluster headaches would put me out of commission for 2 days. Imitrex gets rid of the intense pain of my eye feeling like it might pop out of my head! The first few times I took it I had side effects of the heavy feeling on my chest and in my muscles after 3x I can take with no side effects. I've only taken it 5x but still working great.

December 4, 2013 11:29 PM

Review by Amc12390:

For Migraine: Works super fast and well. Gets rid of my migraines fast when I take with a Motrin 800, BUT......it makes me sweat buckets. I took it at work before my shift and 2 hours later my migraine was gone but I had sweated through 2 shirts and was visibly dripping. It was pretty bad. It does it every time I take it so I try not to use it if I can help it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2013 2:02 AM

Review by radarscott (taken for 10 years or more):

For Migraine: I have taken Imitrex ever since it came out in the 90s. It works and I'll be forever grateful that it does. If you, like me, know what it was like to get migraines before Imitrex came out, you'll understand why I sing its praise.

November 9, 2013 9:15 PM

Review by jaqpink:

For Migraine: The only medication that works for my migraines, that last typically 3 days at a time, right side of my head, in my eye, down the back of my neck and upper back. I take the 100mg tablet, 1 every 12 hours, or when I feel it coming back on. Imitrex kicks in within 20 minutes of taking it. As close to instant relief as you can get. GREAT medication.

September 21, 2013 1:59 AM

Review by Steveo2:

For Migraine: Imitrex has truly been a miracle for me. I'm 36 and I've been having terrible headaches since as far back as I can remember. No over the counter medication ever made any difference in the pain at all. 5 years ago I was prescribed Imitrex and it has literally changed my life. It normally takes an hour or two for it to kick in for me, but when it does, it completely takes my headache away. I have never had any side effects either.

August 5, 2013 5:30 PM

Review by xzamband:

For Migraine: I completely rely on Imitrex. Once I had this the day-long headaches are gone. I now know that what I used to call "sinus headaches" were migraines I had since a teenager, though not bad until into my 40s. My side effects are a little sleepiness and maybe some tiredness, but nothing compared to the debilitation of a migraine. However I am much more aggressive with eliminating triggers, particularly MSG and processed foods, and this helps. My better diet has reduced my need for Imitrex down to 2-3 times a month.

June 26, 2013 8:44 AM

Review by TreeSaver3 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Cluster Headaches: I suffered for several years before I found a specialist who diagnosed me properly and prescribed this great medicine.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2013 3:17 AM

Review by HeyTeacher (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine: Migraines have become my worst enemy over the past 4-5 years. Thank goodness for Imitrex. I started with the pills, then the nasal spray and have worked my way up to the shots (plus nausea medicines). The pills had the least side effects. The spray was vile tasting, but fast acting and I could take it while working. When my headaches worsened, they added botox and upgraded me to the injected version. I needed something that acted FAST so I could stay in the classroom. The down side to the injection is the head rush, change of hear rate, and the flushing feeling. When I inject I have about 15-30 BAD minutes, then I kind of restabilize and about an hour later I usually feel better and capable of continuing to teach.

June 16, 2013 12:51 PM

Review by Mom in CA (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine: I have migraines that are hormonal in nature and Imitrex has saved me from days' worth of pain many a time. I also have a grade-school daughter and if I have a migraine, believe me, the entire family suffers. The pain from a migraine can last 3 days for me so having something that will knock it out in a matter of minutes is in my eyes, miraculous. It doesn't ALWAYS work, especially if I have cluster headaches, but 90% of the time, it works for me on one dose. If the first dose doesn't work, I take another and that usually just completely wipes it out.

June 14, 2013 12:38 PM

Review by Sammie 12:

For Migraine: Amazing and totally effective and no side affects.

June 2, 2013 3:01 AM

Review by trixiesmama5825:

For Cluster Headaches: I've just started taking Imitrex, the first time I took it, I thought I was getting lock jaw. I was quite worried. I took it again the next day though because it did take care of my headache. Since the first time I took it, the side effects have been minor. Hopefully it stays this way.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 28, 2013 11:05 AM

Review by Hauteracer (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine: This medication for the price worked the best. I was using this along with Topamax as a daily preventative and also started receiving botox injections. I found that after a few months between the botox, the Topamax and the Imitrex, I was able to use less and less each month.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2013 10:20 PM

Review by unstablegramy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine: Before Imitrex I had Migraines that would last 2 day. I finally went to emergency to get a shot of Demerol and then sometimes it would not work. I would be right there with my bowl & sun glass on waiting my turn. I was put on Imitrex when it first came out and the long term effect was not for sure on people. Anything is better than a migraine headache. I started taking the shots and at first it made me feel a little funny for first 2 minute then it cleared up and within 15 minutes my migraine was gone. After using it for a while I developed an immunity to it. I then had to use 2 shots. My doctor at the time had me stop using it. It WAS a great medication for Migraines back then.

March 13, 2013 8:58 PM