User Reviews for Imitrex

Learn more about Imitrex.

Cluster Headaches 19 reviews 34 medications

8.8
Migraine 94 reviews 72 medications

Summary of Imitrex reviews 113 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Imitrex

For Cluster Headaches "Pain would cease within 15 minutes."

Seeker0000000000000000001 January 28, 2016

For Migraine "I have been suffering from migraine's since around 16 and now at 36 although they have became less frequent over the years. They are horrible as I usually am out for the entire day bedridden in a dark room. I have always been very paranoid to try a actual migraine medicine so have taken vicodin for the pain. I recently had a migraine at work and decided to try a imitrex my doctor prescribed me. I was nervous to try it but am so happy I did. I waited a few minutes of having the migraine before I took it but it relieved me of my migraine within 30 minutes. I did experience some effects like muscle stiffness in my neck, tightness in my face and a burning feeling in my nose and forehead for about a hour but I'll take that any day over a migraine."

one man down then back up December 22, 2015

For Migraine "Helpless migraine victim for 20 years. My Dr. Recommended imitrex, so I took it. I took one 100mg, it tasted horrible, I had an upset stomach for almost 4 hours. I did get a heartburn feeling in my chest, hotflash, mood swings but my Migraine disappeared. I will speak to my neurologist regarding my side effects. I would consider using imitrex again in the future."

Mother of 6 December 11, 2015

For Migraine "After 20+ years of taking this medicine it has lead up to hair thinning out severely, full body muscle pain and weakness as a side effect and a possible stroke. It works to get rid of the migraine but this what happens when you take it long term."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) November 6, 2015

For Migraine "I have tried this medication in the past and it did not work for me, but now after revisiting the drug with years of migraines of no relief I have found that it works well for me now. I tend to have extreme nausea and vomiting with my severe headaches, so I also use the nasal spay form (depending on how nauseated I am) They both work well if taken early in the migraine. I did however have severe reaction the first 2-3 times taking it (nausea, vomiting, abdominal upset) but I forced myself to take it again. Now my experience is "head tightening" which I see can be common with this drug and after about 15 minutes of this, I feel a "loosening" and finally relief. I have not experienced any other symptoms with tablet form."

Vanessa McC September 18, 2015

For Migraine "Love this med. The only issue I have is that I get a hot flash/face flushing feeling 10 minutes after taking it. It stops 10 min later. It is well worth having the migraine gone all day!"

Kooski September 16, 2015

For Migraine "I have been getting migraines off and on since around the age of 16, and am now 25. Most of my migraines are due to my allergies during the spring/summer. But they seem to be even worse during the colder months. This medication works wonders for me. The only thing I seem to notice is a bit of dizziness after the medicene wears off. But I would much rather have a little dizziness rather than being bedridden, light/sound sensitivity, migraine, and nausea/vomiting."

joanie33 August 25, 2015

For Migraine "This drug give me hallucinations And made my body tingle."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2015

For Migraine "Saved my life. Nothing else worked. Other drugs intensified the headache. I much prefer the injection. Less of the drug is needed and the effective result occurs more quickly. Side effects - I can get night/sleep sweats and have "odd" dreams that do not otherwise occur."

RCCThatsme May 29, 2015

For Cluster Headaches "Imatrex has helped me 100% with my cluster headaches. Certain foods trigger these painful headaches and even though I know most of the triggers and even though I try to avoid them its impossible to eat and not have at least one or two of these triggers in my food. My doctor tried me on several pain meds for these headaches but nothing worked. The headaches got so bad I was literally pulling my hair out and was thinking about suicide. Then my doctor gave me Imatrex. As long as I know I have access to Imatrex I am fine. I finally went to a wonderful neurologist who has been very patient in trying other meds to work with the Imatrex. I do take the generic of Imatrex."

DsisyInFlorida (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2015

For Migraine "From the moment I started taking Imitrex in 1996 it has worked wonderfully for me with probably only two or three occasions over the years where a headache has persistent . It is been my wonder drug. I do get very frequent migraines and take as little of it is possible but I will normally take 10 to 12 50mg tablets per month with few if any side effects."

Strbuk May 18, 2015

For Migraine "3 days on medicine caused extreme muscle pains, tiredness and weakness. Also facial flushing, tingling, hot and cold flashes, blurred vision, malaise, increased urination, lack of concentration."

heavy painful head (taken for 10 years or more) April 2, 2015

For Migraine "Thank you SCIENCE for this medication! My migraines used to immobilize me and now I finally have relief thanks to this med. Better living through modern science."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2015

For Migraine "Works well for my migraines. First couple of times taking it, caused my jaw to feel tight, and makes me pretty sleepy."

CatieB1987 (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2015

For Migraine "Works the best if you only take it once or twice a month. I've had problems with rebound headaches, even when I take this with sodium naproxen. It can also leave me feeling a bit groggy."

clinohumite November 19, 2014

For Migraine "Great. I've taken it twice and didn't experience any major side effects. Kicked in after 20-30 minutes, was fully ready to go at 60 minutes after. That said I did experience some side effects including: -mild heartburn-like feeling during the first 1-2 hours after taking it. -moderate heaviness/tightness in my jaw that lasted just about 12 hours after taking. -some drowsiness -some mild neck pain (which could have been the migraine) -a tightness/tingling (very mild) in my forearms. But I'm free and clear of the headache. Definitely plan on taking again"

headacher1000 November 3, 2014

For Migraine "Taken at the beginning of symptoms it stops the headache within 30 minutes."

vick142 October 23, 2014

For Migraine "My husband has always what's called prostrating attacks, which is a form of a migraine that leaves him in so much pain he can't function at all! The only medication that has ever worked on him is the Imitrex. This stuff is awesome! The only thing that is irritating is every time I get his prescription filled the pharmacist try to give him the Sumatriptan (the generic version) which makes him so sick he will throw up nonstop for hours. So I always have to tell them he needs the name brand, and I have gotten into many arguments with pharmacists trying to tell me it's the same thing. IT'S NOT!!!! When my husband takes Imitrex his migraine is gone within minutes, he takes a Sumatriptan and I feel like I need to take him to a hospital."

housewifeandmother September 22, 2014

For Migraine "Imitrex did not work for me. I have not reached the vomiting stage of a migraine in years thanks to other medications. Imitrex did nothing to stop the progression of my migraine. I had to leave work in the middle of the afternoon, feeling as if I would vomit at my desk, in the hallway, in the elevator, walking to the parking garage, the entire way. Aleve works better than this stuff, and Aleve only keeps nausea at bay, but does not cure migraines for me."

anonymous 30's female (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2014

For Migraine "I have had migraines since my teens and until I was prescribed the Imitrex (Injectable), I suffered severely. I thank GOD for this medicine and can't imagine life without it."

s1ppi (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2014

For Migraine "I have suffered from migraines all my life and I am now 57. I was prescribed Imitrex at age 39 and the first dose of 50mg gave me a tightness in my throat but it stopped the migraine. I suffered with them every day. I finally figured out that MSG in food was the biggest cause of the migraine. MSG is disguised by many names but I have eliminated a lot of food and with the help of Imitrex, I can live an almost normal life without a migraine. Imitrex sometimes makes me sleep a lot and other times I sleep for about 30 minutes and I'm fine. I praise the makers of Imitrex because nothing else would completely take the pain away!"

Cynhawk (taken for 10 years or more) July 15, 2014

For Cluster Headaches "Imitrex in any form is the Best med for Cluster headaches by far. High flow oxygen at first twinge, and the pill at the onset (even if you think it might hurt) Most effective. You all know how fast they come on. Usually work immediately unless late in a cycle. I too wish you could take more than twice in a 24 hr period. After suffering for almost 20 yrs with no medicine at All. For these crippling things. I have tried all Imitrex types, injections ,pills, nasal sprays. Injections are fast but so very expensive and painful as well. Nasal spray is nauseating for me, the pill form has always worked well if taken at the very BLINK of headache. Because of price and insurance restrictions I would wait to take the medicine. Not anymore."

John ( Cluster Sufferer 35 yrs ) July 2, 2014

For Cluster Headaches "I have been using Imitrex since it first came out in the 90's. It was a God send. I've had migraines for 42 years. I get about six migraines a month. Imitrex always works BUT for me I pay a price with stomach aches. Sometimes I refrain from taking Imitrex for fear of the stomach pains."

Lynn Rose Miles June 22, 2014

For Migraine "I had a few small reactions, but it took care of it, and it was gone after some sleep"

Oh it hurts (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2014

For Cluster Headaches "Imitrex works very well for my eyeball pain, light and odour, toxic smells, nasal stuffiness that leads to migraines. Migraines. I am sensitive to gluten of all kinds, if I ingest some, I WILL get nasal stuffiness that will lead to a migraine or cluster headaches. Imitrex works in 45 mins, sometimes sleep is needed to take it away. Sometimes I get migraines for a week or so. Sometimes I take it as a last resort, after trying allergy meds, Tylenol or Valium. But Imitrex works for me. I eat very healthy, no breads of any kind, no gluten, very little sugar. I read all labels, eat mostly veges and meat, mostly organic, I'm getting better at that. "

June moon May 23, 2014