User Reviews for Imitrex

Learn more about Imitrex.

Imitrex Review Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 87 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Imitrex to treat Migraine

"From the moment I started taking Imitrex in 1996 it has worked wonderfully for me with probably only two or three occasions over the years where a headache has persistent . It is been my wonder drug. I do get very frequent migraines and take as little of it is possible but I will normally take 10 to 12 50mg tablets per month with few if any side effects."

Strbuk May 18, 2015

"3 days on medicine caused extreme muscle pains, tiredness and weakness. Also facial flushing, tingling, hot and cold flashes, blurred vision, malaise, increased urination, lack of concentration."

heavy painful head (taken for 10 years or more) April 2, 2015

"Thank you SCIENCE for this medication! My migraines used to immobilize me and now I finally have relief thanks to this med. Better living through modern science."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2015

"Works well for my migraines. First couple of times taking it, caused my jaw to feel tight, and makes me pretty sleepy."

CatieB1987 (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2015

"Works the best if you only take it once or twice a month. I've had problems with rebound headaches, even when I take this with sodium naproxen. It can also leave me feeling a bit groggy."

clinohumite November 19, 2014

"Great. I've taken it twice and didn't experience any major side effects. Kicked in after 20-30 minutes, was fully ready to go at 60 minutes after. That said I did experience some side effects including: -mild heartburn-like feeling during the first 1-2 hours after taking it. -moderate heaviness/tightness in my jaw that lasted just about 12 hours after taking. -some drowsiness -some mild neck pain (which could have been the migraine) -a tightness/tingling (very mild) in my forearms. But I'm free and clear of the headache. Definitely plan on taking again"

headacher1000 November 3, 2014

"Taken at the beginning of symptoms it stops the headache within 30 minutes."

vick142 October 23, 2014

"My husband has always what's called prostrating attacks, which is a form of a migraine that leaves him in so much pain he can't function at all! The only medication that has ever worked on him is the Imitrex. This stuff is awesome! The only thing that is irritating is every time I get his prescription filled the pharmacist try to give him the Sumatriptan (the generic version) which makes him so sick he will throw up nonstop for hours. So I always have to tell them he needs the name brand, and I have gotten into many arguments with pharmacists trying to tell me it's the same thing. IT'S NOT!!!! When my husband takes Imitrex his migraine is gone within minutes, he takes a Sumatriptan and I feel like I need to take him to a hospital."

housewifeandmother September 22, 2014

"Imitrex did not work for me. I have not reached the vomiting stage of a migraine in years thanks to other medications. Imitrex did nothing to stop the progression of my migraine. I had to leave work in the middle of the afternoon, feeling as if I would vomit at my desk, in the hallway, in the elevator, walking to the parking garage, the entire way. Aleve works better than this stuff, and Aleve only keeps nausea at bay, but does not cure migraines for me."

anonymous 30's female (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2014

"I have had migraines since my teens and until I was prescribed the Imitrex (Injectable), I suffered severely. I thank GOD for this medicine and can't imagine life without it."

s1ppi (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2014

"I have suffered from migraines all my life and I am now 57. I was prescribed Imitrex at age 39 and the first dose of 50mg gave me a tightness in my throat but it stopped the migraine. I suffered with them every day. I finally figured out that MSG in food was the biggest cause of the migraine. MSG is disguised by many names but I have eliminated a lot of food and with the help of Imitrex, I can live an almost normal life without a migraine. Imitrex sometimes makes me sleep a lot and other times I sleep for about 30 minutes and I'm fine. I praise the makers of Imitrex because nothing else would completely take the pain away!"

Cynhawk (taken for 10 years or more) July 15, 2014

"I had a few small reactions, but it took care of it, and it was gone after some sleep"

Oh it hurts (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2014

"Not always effective."

mpsprowl (taken for 10 years or more) April 28, 2014

"First month prescription for 20, 50mg tablets. If I take at the first sign of headache goes away about 30 min. If wait to take tablet takes up two hours for the pain to stop. Since I have daily migraines tried waiting to save tablets, concerned run out of 50mg tablets prior to refill date. The Imitrex has been God sent for me. I have had migraines since my teens now in my sixities. Migranies only health probem I have. Plan to call my doctor let know how well Imitrex works for me and see if 30 day prescription or stronger prescription is what I need. From other reviews appears some users go days between headaches, that would be more than I ever expected after all these years."

Ben W March 28, 2014

"I come from a family where everyone has terrible migraines. When I started getting them at age 21, I resorted to taking loads of Tylenol with Pesudophedrine to "mask" the pain, which took a heavy toll on my liver. Someone suggested that I look into the Triptan family of migraine medication. After going through a few different ones, I found Imitrex to be an absolute life-saver. Whenever I feel one coming, I take 50mg and the migraine usually disappears within 30 minutes. If I wait a few hours to take it, the response time could be more like 90 minutes. With 10-15 migraines a month, Imitrex is essentially the only thing that allows me to function. I have not seen any real side effects."

MSII February 24, 2014

"I have suffered from debilitating migraines for over 20 years. I feel like I have tried everything. Imitrex shots gave me my life back. After taking a shot I normally need to lay down for 15 min but then I feel great. I used to suffer for at least 3 days. I never had any side effects."

berlygirl (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 15, 2013

"Works super fast and well. Gets rid of my migraines fast when I take with a Motrin 800, BUT......it makes me sweat buckets. I took it at work before my shift and 2 hours later my migraine was gone but I had sweated through 2 shirts and was visibly dripping. It was pretty bad. It does it every time I take it so I try not to use it if I can help it."

Amc12390 November 16, 2013

"I have taken Imitrex ever since it came out in the 90s. It works and I'll be forever grateful that it does. If you, like me, know what it was like to get migraines before Imitrex came out, you'll understand why I sing its praise."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) November 9, 2013

"The only medication that works for my migraines, that last typically 3 days at a time, right side of my head, in my eye, down the back of my neck and upper back. I take the 100mg tablet, 1 every 12 hours, or when I feel it coming back on. Imitrex kicks in within 20 minutes of taking it. As close to instant relief as you can get. GREAT medication."

jaqpink September 21, 2013

"Imitrex has truly been a miracle for me. I'm 36 and I've been having terrible headaches since as far back as I can remember. No over the counter medication ever made any difference in the pain at all. 5 years ago I was prescribed Imitrex and it has literally changed my life. It normally takes an hour or two for it to kick in for me, but when it does, it completely takes my headache away. I have never had any side effects either."

Steveo2 August 5, 2013

"I completely rely on Imitrex. Once I had this the day-long headaches are gone. I now know that what I used to call "sinus headaches" were migraines I had since a teenager, though not bad until into my 40s. My side effects are a little sleepiness and maybe some tiredness, but nothing compared to the debilitation of a migraine. However I am much more aggressive with eliminating triggers, particularly MSG and processed foods, and this helps. My better diet has reduced my need for Imitrex down to 2-3 times a month."

xzamband June 26, 2013

"Migraines have become my worst enemy over the past 4-5 years. Thank goodness for Imitrex. I started with the pills, then the nasal spray and have worked my way up to the shots (plus nausea medicines). The pills had the least side effects. The spray was vile tasting, but fast acting and I could take it while working. When my headaches worsened, they added botox and upgraded me to the injected version. I needed something that acted FAST so I could stay in the classroom. The down side to the injection is the head rush, change of hear rate, and the flushing feeling. When I inject I have about 15-30 BAD minutes, then I kind of restabilize and about an hour later I usually feel better and capable of continuing to teach."

HeyTeacher (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 16, 2013

"I have migraines that are hormonal in nature and Imitrex has saved me from days' worth of pain many a time. I also have a grade-school daughter and if I have a migraine, believe me, the entire family suffers. The pain from a migraine can last 3 days for me so having something that will knock it out in a matter of minutes is in my eyes, miraculous. It doesn't ALWAYS work, especially if I have cluster headaches, but 90% of the time, it works for me on one dose. If the first dose doesn't work, I take another and that usually just completely wipes it out. "

Mom in CA (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2013

"Amazing and totally effective and no side affects."

Sammie 12 June 2, 2013

"This medication for the price worked the best. I was using this along with Topamax as a daily preventative and also started receiving botox injections. I found that after a few months between the botox, the Topamax and the Imitrex, I was able to use less and less each month."

Hauteracer (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2013