User Reviews for Imitrex

Learn more about Imitrex.

Imitrex review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 87 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Imitrex to treat Migraine

Review by Ben W: User Rating:

First month prescription for 20, 50mg tablets. If I take at the first sign of headache goes away about 30 min. If wait to take tablet takes up two hours for the pain to stop. Since I have daily migraines tried waiting to save tablets, concerned run out of 50mg tablets prior to refill date. The Imitrex has been God sent for me. I have had migraines since my teens now in my sixities. Migranies only health probem I have. Plan to call my doctor let know how well Imitrex works for me and see if 30 day prescription or stronger prescription is what I need. From other reviews appears some users go days between headaches, that would be more than I ever expected after all these years.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 28, 2014 9:55 PM
Review by MSII: User Rating:

I come from a family where everyone has terrible migraines. When I started getting them at age 21, I resorted to taking loads of Tylenol with Pesudophedrine to "mask" the pain, which took a heavy toll on my liver. Someone suggested that I look into the Triptan family of migraine medication. After going through a few different ones, I found Imitrex to be an absolute life-saver. Whenever I feel one coming, I take 50mg and the migraine usually disappears within 30 minutes. If I wait a few hours to take it, the response time could be more like 90 minutes. With 10-15 migraines a month, Imitrex is essentially the only thing that allows me to function. I have not seen any real side effects.

February 24, 2014 2:27 AM
Review by berlygirl (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I have suffered from debilitating migraines for over 20 years. I feel like I have tried everything. Imitrex shots gave me my life back. After taking a shot I normally need to lay down for 15 min but then I feel great. I used to suffer for at least 3 days. I never had any side effects.

December 15, 2013 12:07 AM
Review by Amc12390: User Rating:

Works super fast and well. Gets rid of my migraines fast when I take with a Motrin 800, BUT......it makes me sweat buckets. I took it at work before my shift and 2 hours later my migraine was gone but I had sweated through 2 shirts and was visibly dripping. It was pretty bad. It does it every time I take it so I try not to use it if I can help it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 16, 2013 2:02 AM
Review by radarscott (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

I have taken Imitrex ever since it came out in the 90s. It works and I'll be forever grateful that it does. If you, like me, know what it was like to get migraines before Imitrex came out, you'll understand why I sing its praise.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 9, 2013 9:15 PM
Review by jaqpink: User Rating:

The only medication that works for my migraines, that last typically 3 days at a time, right side of my head, in my eye, down the back of my neck and upper back. I take the 100mg tablet, 1 every 12 hours, or when I feel it coming back on. Imitrex kicks in within 20 minutes of taking it. As close to instant relief as you can get. GREAT medication.

September 21, 2013 1:59 AM
Review by Steveo2: User Rating:

Imitrex has truly been a miracle for me. I'm 36 and I've been having terrible headaches since as far back as I can remember. No over the counter medication ever made any difference in the pain at all. 5 years ago I was prescribed Imitrex and it has literally changed my life. It normally takes an hour or two for it to kick in for me, but when it does, it completely takes my headache away. I have never had any side effects either.

August 5, 2013 5:30 PM
Review by xzamband: User Rating:

I completely rely on Imitrex. Once I had this the day-long headaches are gone. I now know that what I used to call "sinus headaches" were migraines I had since a teenager, though not bad until into my 40s. My side effects are a little sleepiness and maybe some tiredness, but nothing compared to the debilitation of a migraine. However I am much more aggressive with eliminating triggers, particularly MSG and processed foods, and this helps. My better diet has reduced my need for Imitrex down to 2-3 times a month.

June 26, 2013 8:44 AM
Review by HeyTeacher (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Migraines have become my worst enemy over the past 4-5 years. Thank goodness for Imitrex. I started with the pills, then the nasal spray and have worked my way up to the shots (plus nausea medicines). The pills had the least side effects. The spray was vile tasting, but fast acting and I could take it while working. When my headaches worsened, they added botox and upgraded me to the injected version. I needed something that acted FAST so I could stay in the classroom. The down side to the injection is the head rush, change of hear rate, and the flushing feeling. When I inject I have about 15-30 BAD minutes, then I kind of restabilize and about an hour later I usually feel better and capable of continuing to teach.

June 16, 2013 12:51 PM
Review by Mom in CA (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I have migraines that are hormonal in nature and Imitrex has saved me from days' worth of pain many a time. I also have a grade-school daughter and if I have a migraine, believe me, the entire family suffers. The pain from a migraine can last 3 days for me so having something that will knock it out in a matter of minutes is in my eyes, miraculous. It doesn't ALWAYS work, especially if I have cluster headaches, but 90% of the time, it works for me on one dose. If the first dose doesn't work, I take another and that usually just completely wipes it out.

June 14, 2013 12:38 PM
Review by Sammie 12: User Rating:

Amazing and totally effective and no side affects.

June 2, 2013 3:01 AM
Review by Hauteracer (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

This medication for the price worked the best. I was using this along with Topamax as a daily preventative and also started receiving botox injections. I found that after a few months between the botox, the Topamax and the Imitrex, I was able to use less and less each month.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 17, 2013 10:20 PM
Review by unstablegramy (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Before Imitrex I had Migraines that would last 2 day. I finally went to emergency to get a shot of Demerol and then sometimes it would not work. I would be right there with my bowl & sun glass on waiting my turn. I was put on Imitrex when it first came out and the long term effect was not for sure on people. Anything is better than a migraine headache. I started taking the shots and at first it made me feel a little funny for first 2 minute then it cleared up and within 15 minutes my migraine was gone. After using it for a while I developed an immunity to it. I then had to use 2 shots. My doctor at the time had me stop using it. It WAS a great medication for Migraines back then.

March 13, 2013 8:58 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I have been on Imitrex for years now and when my Migraine starts Imitrex takes care of it. Only a couple of times I had to take the second pill I'm on 100mg as for side effects I have not had any. My doctor has me on Topamax to help control them and I keep my Imitrex with me when I need it.

January 8, 2013 1:46 PM
Review by Rikka (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Made my heart feel as if it were slowing down. I got confused and experienced heavy breathing.

December 16, 2012 6:40 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Imitrex is the best medication for migraines I have taken so far. When I first started using it I would get the loopy feeling and slight dizziness. Normal right? But after a month or two and a few more uses of this medication, I started get a burning sensation in my head, behind my eyes and progressively got worse with each time I took it. The side effects have gotten so bad that now I get cold/hot sweats, the burning sensation in my head, and vomiting. I have now switched to a medication that is the prescription strength of Motrin which works just as well.

November 30, 2012 1:30 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

This medicine kept the migraine from becoming full blown. It made me sleepy and out of sorts, but this is better than an agonizing migraine. I took it as soon as I saw the visual effect and within 30 min my vision was back to normal. However, I still had a mild migraine with very little nausea. Imitrex made me tired and my body felt heavy. It also made my tongue feel swollen, but it wasn't. But I'd take this over a full blown migraine any day! It seemed to fast forward the headache rather than it being debilitating like last time. I still lay around all day though.

November 1, 2012 9:06 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

At first I suffered through them. This included splitting head pain, nausea, and vomiting. I started using Excedrin after a while which helped if I took it right away. Then that started to not work so well anymore. I had one really bad one that lasted hours. I was still throwing up at 9 pm and I was now throwing up blood. I went to the ER and when I finally got in they put me on an IV to hydrate me. They then added Imitrex to the bag and I soon started feeling side effects. My head felt like I was going to pass out. My breathing became labored and it felt like someone was sitting on my chest. They said that meant it was working. After about two minutes everything was gone. I got pills to take at home and they worked okay. Not as fast.

October 16, 2012 3:00 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Imitrex works for me even if I let it get to the really bad headache--hate to take because of the tightness in chest and achy throat afterwards. But-they do the job and I always say later I should have taken it in the beginning.

October 6, 2012 7:07 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

The first time I took this I got a severe panic attack. It felt like I couldn't breathe, my heart was racing and chest hurt. It did nothing for the pain or any of the other things associated with migraines. I did try it once more, as per my Dr, and it happened all over again. Maxalt is what I use now.

September 10, 2012 1:26 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

My first experience with Imitrex was taking it at work...well, that was not a good idea! I started to feel the migraine coming on, so I took it at the first symptoms like I was told and went about my day. I'm a technician for an ophthalmologist and I started to get a hot flash. I stood up and my arms and legs went totally numb. Since I'm on Topamax too I expect a little tingle, but this was a RUSH. All this aside, about 30 minutes later most of my heavy duty migraine symptoms were thwarted. Not gone, but a lot better. I feel they would have been much better if I had been able to lie down rather than been on my feet working. I also still had a pretty decent headache and photophobia the rest of the day.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 27, 2012 8:54 PM
Review by Sherri3235: User Rating:

I have suffered from migraines for 32 years, the older I am the worse they become. I have both the Imitrex pills & the shots. When I am nauseated I must use the shot. Approx. 1 minute after injection the intense buring in my head & the amplified headache are the worst side effects however NOTHING compared to the migraine. Usually the migraine is gone in 15 - 30 mins and I sleep it off. There is also the 12 - 24 hour Imitrex hangover from the shot. Muscles feel as though they are made of jelly, overall wiped out feeling. The pill does not have the burning effect for me and it takes the full 30 minutes to combat the migraine. Imitrex is the only medicine which has worked for me consistantly over the years. I become immune to all other medicines.

March 19, 2012 12:17 PM
Review by Marissa83: User Rating:

I hated my experience with Imitrex. It made my chest feel strange, heart beat increase and I felt very anxious while on it. I guess it shortened the duration of my headache, but I became very worried and preoccupied by its side effects.

January 22, 2012 1:01 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

At first, I thought it was great- no headache. Then, the more frequently I used the medication to treat my migraines, the more debilitating side-effects I began to experience. I could first mitigate the burning/pain and weakness in my head, neck and jaw and the general feeling of malaise/fatigue by the administration of Naproxen or Ibuprofen prior to the Imitrex, but then, even that ceased to be effective. I finally quit after experiencing total body weakness, a more severe burning/pain in my upper extremeties than ever before (accompanied by fluctuating hot/cold sensations everywhere else), irregular heartbeat and irregular breathing after administration. If you experiencing adverse side-effects- it gets worse! Please, find something else.

January 8, 2012 12:58 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Imitrex took away my migraine but I could not function on it. I had to lay down completely still and go to sleep because it made me so nauseous I felt like vomiting every time I moved. I was extremely dizzy and it made my skin painful to the touch. Even after the migraine went away I still felt out of it the rest of the day. I would definitely ask for samples before paying for the prescription!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate