User Reviews for Imitrex

Learn more about Imitrex.

Imitrex review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 87 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Imitrex to treat Migraine

Review by housewifeandmother:

My husband has always what's called prostrating attacks, which is a form of a migraine that leaves him in so much pain he can't function at all! The only medication that has ever worked on him is the Imitrex. This stuff is awesome! The only thing that is irritating is every time I get his prescription filled the pharmacist try to give him the Sumatriptan (the generic version) which makes him so sick he will throw up nonstop for hours. So I always have to tell them he needs the name brand, and I have gotten into many arguments with pharmacists trying to tell me it's the same thing. IT'S NOT!!!! When my husband takes Imitrex his migraine is gone within minutes, he takes a Sumatriptan and I feel like I need to take him to a hospital.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 22, 2014 6:04 PM

Review by anonymous 30's female (taken for less than 1 month):

Imitrex did not work for me. I have not reached the vomiting stage of a migraine in years thanks to other medications. Imitrex did nothing to stop the progression of my migraine. I had to leave work in the middle of the afternoon, feeling as if I would vomit at my desk, in the hallway, in the elevator, walking to the parking garage, the entire way. Aleve works better than this stuff, and Aleve only keeps nausea at bay, but does not cure migraines for me.

August 4, 2014 7:17 PM

Review by s1ppi (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have had migraines since my teens and until I was prescribed the Imitrex (Injectable), I suffered severely. I thank GOD for this medicine and can't imagine life without it.

July 16, 2014 10:24 AM

Review by Cynhawk (taken for 10 years or more):

I have suffered from migraines all my life and I am now 57. I was prescribed Imitrex at age 39 and the first dose of 50mg gave me a tightness in my throat but it stopped the migraine. I suffered with them every day. I finally figured out that MSG in food was the biggest cause of the migraine. MSG is disguised by many names but I have eliminated a lot of food and with the help of Imitrex, I can live an almost normal life without a migraine. Imitrex sometimes makes me sleep a lot and other times I sleep for about 30 minutes and I'm fine. I praise the makers of Imitrex because nothing else would completely take the pain away!

July 15, 2014 3:27 AM

Review by Oh it hurts (taken for less than 1 month):

I had a few small reactions, but it took care of it, and it was gone after some sleep

June 12, 2014 10:50 PM

Review by mpsprowl (taken for 10 years or more):

Not always effective.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 28, 2014 11:36 AM

Review by Ben W:

First month prescription for 20, 50mg tablets. If I take at the first sign of headache goes away about 30 min. If wait to take tablet takes up two hours for the pain to stop. Since I have daily migraines tried waiting to save tablets, concerned run out of 50mg tablets prior to refill date. The Imitrex has been God sent for me. I have had migraines since my teens now in my sixities. Migranies only health probem I have. Plan to call my doctor let know how well Imitrex works for me and see if 30 day prescription or stronger prescription is what I need. From other reviews appears some users go days between headaches, that would be more than I ever expected after all these years.

March 28, 2014 9:55 PM

Review by MSII:

I come from a family where everyone has terrible migraines. When I started getting them at age 21, I resorted to taking loads of Tylenol with Pesudophedrine to "mask" the pain, which took a heavy toll on my liver. Someone suggested that I look into the Triptan family of migraine medication. After going through a few different ones, I found Imitrex to be an absolute life-saver. Whenever I feel one coming, I take 50mg and the migraine usually disappears within 30 minutes. If I wait a few hours to take it, the response time could be more like 90 minutes. With 10-15 migraines a month, Imitrex is essentially the only thing that allows me to function. I have not seen any real side effects.

February 24, 2014 2:27 AM

Review by berlygirl (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have suffered from debilitating migraines for over 20 years. I feel like I have tried everything. Imitrex shots gave me my life back. After taking a shot I normally need to lay down for 15 min but then I feel great. I used to suffer for at least 3 days. I never had any side effects.

December 15, 2013 12:07 AM

Review by Amc12390:

Works super fast and well. Gets rid of my migraines fast when I take with a Motrin 800, BUT......it makes me sweat buckets. I took it at work before my shift and 2 hours later my migraine was gone but I had sweated through 2 shirts and was visibly dripping. It was pretty bad. It does it every time I take it so I try not to use it if I can help it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2013 2:02 AM

Review by radarscott (taken for 10 years or more):

I have taken Imitrex ever since it came out in the 90s. It works and I'll be forever grateful that it does. If you, like me, know what it was like to get migraines before Imitrex came out, you'll understand why I sing its praise.

November 9, 2013 9:15 PM

Review by jaqpink:

The only medication that works for my migraines, that last typically 3 days at a time, right side of my head, in my eye, down the back of my neck and upper back. I take the 100mg tablet, 1 every 12 hours, or when I feel it coming back on. Imitrex kicks in within 20 minutes of taking it. As close to instant relief as you can get. GREAT medication.

September 21, 2013 1:59 AM

Review by Steveo2:

Imitrex has truly been a miracle for me. I'm 36 and I've been having terrible headaches since as far back as I can remember. No over the counter medication ever made any difference in the pain at all. 5 years ago I was prescribed Imitrex and it has literally changed my life. It normally takes an hour or two for it to kick in for me, but when it does, it completely takes my headache away. I have never had any side effects either.

August 5, 2013 5:30 PM

Review by xzamband:

I completely rely on Imitrex. Once I had this the day-long headaches are gone. I now know that what I used to call "sinus headaches" were migraines I had since a teenager, though not bad until into my 40s. My side effects are a little sleepiness and maybe some tiredness, but nothing compared to the debilitation of a migraine. However I am much more aggressive with eliminating triggers, particularly MSG and processed foods, and this helps. My better diet has reduced my need for Imitrex down to 2-3 times a month.

June 26, 2013 8:44 AM

Review by HeyTeacher (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Migraines have become my worst enemy over the past 4-5 years. Thank goodness for Imitrex. I started with the pills, then the nasal spray and have worked my way up to the shots (plus nausea medicines). The pills had the least side effects. The spray was vile tasting, but fast acting and I could take it while working. When my headaches worsened, they added botox and upgraded me to the injected version. I needed something that acted FAST so I could stay in the classroom. The down side to the injection is the head rush, change of hear rate, and the flushing feeling. When I inject I have about 15-30 BAD minutes, then I kind of restabilize and about an hour later I usually feel better and capable of continuing to teach.

June 16, 2013 12:51 PM

Review by Mom in CA (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have migraines that are hormonal in nature and Imitrex has saved me from days' worth of pain many a time. I also have a grade-school daughter and if I have a migraine, believe me, the entire family suffers. The pain from a migraine can last 3 days for me so having something that will knock it out in a matter of minutes is in my eyes, miraculous. It doesn't ALWAYS work, especially if I have cluster headaches, but 90% of the time, it works for me on one dose. If the first dose doesn't work, I take another and that usually just completely wipes it out.

June 14, 2013 12:38 PM

Review by Sammie 12:

Amazing and totally effective and no side affects.

June 2, 2013 3:01 AM

Review by Hauteracer (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medication for the price worked the best. I was using this along with Topamax as a daily preventative and also started receiving botox injections. I found that after a few months between the botox, the Topamax and the Imitrex, I was able to use less and less each month.

April 17, 2013 10:20 PM

Review by unstablegramy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Before Imitrex I had Migraines that would last 2 day. I finally went to emergency to get a shot of Demerol and then sometimes it would not work. I would be right there with my bowl & sun glass on waiting my turn. I was put on Imitrex when it first came out and the long term effect was not for sure on people. Anything is better than a migraine headache. I started taking the shots and at first it made me feel a little funny for first 2 minute then it cleared up and within 15 minutes my migraine was gone. After using it for a while I developed an immunity to it. I then had to use 2 shots. My doctor at the time had me stop using it. It WAS a great medication for Migraines back then.

March 13, 2013 8:58 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been on Imitrex for years now and when my Migraine starts Imitrex takes care of it. Only a couple of times I had to take the second pill I'm on 100mg as for side effects I have not had any. My doctor has me on Topamax to help control them and I keep my Imitrex with me when I need it.

January 8, 2013 1:46 PM

Review by Rikka (taken for less than 1 month):

Made my heart feel as if it were slowing down. I got confused and experienced heavy breathing.

December 16, 2012 6:40 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Imitrex is the best medication for migraines I have taken so far. When I first started using it I would get the loopy feeling and slight dizziness. Normal right? But after a month or two and a few more uses of this medication, I started get a burning sensation in my head, behind my eyes and progressively got worse with each time I took it. The side effects have gotten so bad that now I get cold/hot sweats, the burning sensation in my head, and vomiting. I have now switched to a medication that is the prescription strength of Motrin which works just as well.

November 30, 2012 1:30 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

This medicine kept the migraine from becoming full blown. It made me sleepy and out of sorts, but this is better than an agonizing migraine. I took it as soon as I saw the visual effect and within 30 min my vision was back to normal. However, I still had a mild migraine with very little nausea. Imitrex made me tired and my body felt heavy. It also made my tongue feel swollen, but it wasn't. But I'd take this over a full blown migraine any day! It seemed to fast forward the headache rather than it being debilitating like last time. I still lay around all day though.

November 1, 2012 9:06 PM

At first I suffered through them. This included splitting head pain, nausea, and vomiting. I started using Excedrin after a while which helped if I took it right away. Then that started to not work so well anymore. I had one really bad one that lasted hours. I was still throwing up at 9 pm and I was now throwing up blood. I went to the ER and when I finally got in they put me on an IV to hydrate me. They then added Imitrex to the bag and I soon started feeling side effects. My head felt like I was going to pass out. My breathing became labored and it felt like someone was sitting on my chest. They said that meant it was working. After about two minutes everything was gone. I got pills to take at home and they worked okay. Not as fast.

October 16, 2012 3:00 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Imitrex works for me even if I let it get to the really bad headache--hate to take because of the tightness in chest and achy throat afterwards. But-they do the job and I always say later I should have taken it in the beginning.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate