User Reviews for Septra DS

Learn more about Septra DS.

Septra DS review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 302 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Septra DS to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Review by Sarah82:

I tried taking Septra, and by the second day I was vomiting all day long. Couldn't take it long enough to cure the bladder infection and because of changing antibiotics partway through, ended up in a trip to the hospital with a kidney infection.

February 14, 2014 9:33 PM

Septra DS worked wonderful this time I am only on day 2 with 5 more days to go. I have however taken this and Bactrim DS before. I am quite sensitive to antibiotics but tolerate these well. I usually ask for Bactrim DS due to tolerating it well so that is what MD prescribed. i also take metformin and lotensin and they seem to work fine with this med though i take them at least 3 hours from each other

July 11, 2012 5:21 AM

I have a severe allergic reaction. I had extreme rash, with blisters all over my body, including the inside of my mouth. This happened after taking it for three days. It wasn't a positive experience.

December 11, 2011 4:39 PM

Review by suzgrrl:

I am always nervous about taking new medications, especially antibiotics because they usually give me many side effects. However, Septra DS was very well tolerated! I don't do well with large pills, so I split them in two (since they're scored for that purpose) and found them much easier to swallow. I took each half about 30 minutes apart and never had any side effects other than a funny taste in my mouth, which may have been from the pyridium (stuff that turns pee orange) for the pain, which I stopped after the first day.

September 13, 2011 10:17 PM

Review by BumbleLee123:

I have been having Urinary tract Infections for a while and have had them more than once. I have been given different kinds of medications to treat the infection-- even ones that made my urine turn orange and stained my underwear. I have to honestly say that the Septra DS is the best I have ever taken (I asked for the generic brand from my doctor). I know its huge-like horse pills, but after the first dose I felt relieved. The first thing I noticed was that I didn't have to urinate that often and the pain associated with urinating subsided. I never had any side effects with this medication.

September 4, 2011 10:24 AM

Review by Canie:

After the first day I felt kind of better, the second--a little rash, and at the third -- changes of the mouth mucosa/lining.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2011 5:25 PM

Review by Chuck White:

After my first dose of Septra my Urinary Tract Infection symptoms disappeared and my urinary system began functioning normally again. So, as far as being effective against UTI's Septra seems to do a good job. I've been on it for 9 days and I have one more day to go. However, there might be some side effects. In my case they were mildly unpleasant. The first night of Septra I felt extremely tired and I fell into a light sleep with the weirdest dreams of my life. They were more like hallucinations than dreams. However, they seemed to pass and the only other side effects were mainly gastrointestinal, i.e. mild diarrhea, bloating, belching, and a transient sense of mild nausea.

July 15, 2011 6:18 PM

Septra DS is excellent for UTI. I have been on it for three days with absolutely no side effects. My UTI has cleared up rapidly. My only criticism is that the pills are rather large and very dry that is probably why it is recommended that it be taken with lots of water.

November 29, 2009 8:45 PM