User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 32 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Skin Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Bacterial Skin Infection

"I was prescribed Bactrim ds for 14 days twice a day. I was told to take with a probiotic as it could kill the good bacteria in my gut, so I did. The side effects were severe headache, and fatigue. After 5 days of taking this medication I got an allergic reaction, so I stopped the antibiotics. The reaction was a severe rash on my face, neck, and chest. It was bright red, hot, and itchy. A mild rash spread to the rest of my body. I was given other medication to help the the allergic reaction which helped after 4 days. The abscess did go down and eventually healed on its own."

Mayra A April 14, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Had cut my foot at a beach and was prescribed Bactrim, got the chills and chattering teeth, told to continue and next day had severe diahareea and vomiting at same time hospitalized for several days, body bloated to twice my normal size, near died, would never take a sulphur drug again especially Bactrim."

lolo28 April 11, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was given Bactrim for vestibulitis, and a sinus infection, and bronchitis. The medicine was hardly effective. I just finished it. While on it all of my symptoms got worse and I had severe headaches and neck stiffness and I was so tired all day. I tried dealing with the side effects because I wasn't sure if it was the medicine or just being sick. Went back to my doctor today and because I'm not better he switched me to azothromycin and gave me some steroids for my energy levels. This medicine was awful. By the 7th day I was smelling and tasting the medicine all day. Really, I could've dealt with the side effects if the medicine helped me but it did not."

Csmien April 6, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "My daughter had a small red angry looking flea bite, or so we thought. We tried to draw it out with hot compress. NO go. Went to Urgent Care the next day. Was given Bacrim 800+160. That was a Saturday. Wound was 1 times worse the next day. Went to ER. Was told NOT to use hot compress but keep taking the Bactrim. Today is Tuesday. Taking this medication doesnt seem to be doing much. She is red, imflammed badly, full of nastyness and pain. Using crutches as this is on her lower leg. Seeing surgeon in 2 days because the infection is now to deep. She is in tons of pain. Thankfully there is no fever as of yet but infection is looking more and more like MRSA. Scary stuff on an 18 year old who is constantly keeping herself clean."

Still on the Fence on this one (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2016

"I started this medicine about a week ago. Ever since then I have been fatigued, dizzy, nauseous, having migraines, sensitive to light, and haven't been able to concentrate. I was taking 2 a day but I felt so horrible I bumped myself down to only one a day. My abscess has burst but I still feel weak and very sore."

CollegeGirl448 February 24, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have just recently got out a living environment with a bunch of roomates, I found a small pimple under my arm and thought nothing of it, after a week it was so swollen and hot to touch I went to the ER. The doctor didn't want to cut the "pimple" open but I begged him to because of the pain-and he was glad he did...the amount of bacteria that came out was astonishing! He put me on bactrim and even though I had some side effects it went away.....but then I got another abcess on my head about 2 months later....took bactrim it went away....then 2 months after that i got another abcess on my finger....took bactrim it when away.....now i once again have 3 abscesses under my armpit and am currently on bactrim again! 4 months later!"

Nikki62382 December 12, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was diagnosed with a MRSA Impetigo skin infection and was prescribed the Bactrim DS as well as Bactroban ointment, therefore I cannot know which helped the most, but it did work 95%. I stll have a pink area and the original cut that started this all is still slightly visible. This oral med made me feel horrible. Everyday, after the third day, I was nauseous about an hour after taking it and several times had to take Zofran 8mg which did help. My stomach was a roller coaster and the headaches were really bad. I have Daily Chronic Headache which is daily migraines. But I get C spine nerve ablations which allows me to be 90% migraine free for about 1 year. During the 10 days the migraines came back and with a vengence. Glad to be done."

Adopt_a_pet November 13, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was prescribed Bactrim for a skin infection and took one pill. Within less than an hour I was vomiting, shaking, sweating, and had severe diarrhea. I was literally unable to do anything but lay in bed with frequent bathroom trips for the next 24 hours. It was horrible. Never again."

Anonymous November 8, 2015

"Taking this for a spider bite.. Side effects bad.. Took last night and woke up with stomach cramping, gas and nausea. It continued on off all day and I had to take an anti-emetic twice.. The worst part is I didn't even take the full dose my doctor told me to take, only 1/2. Needless to say I won't be taking it anymore.. I only gave it three because it did help with the spider bite, but only a little.. It's not worth the side effects"

Spider victim (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2015

"Worst medicine ever. I'm not allergic to anything by the way. I was prescribed for a uti and had to stop after 5 days. Migraines, eyeballs throbbed, chest was in excruciating pain, neck pain, upper and lower back pain, stomach and ovary pin, and leg pain, especially in the knees, onto of of that, nausea, loss of appetite, dizziness, the immediate and random need to throw up, and worst of all...a red rash all over my body. To top that off, and loss of sex drive. I have never had an allergic reaction to a medicine before...I will never take this again. BEWARE!!!!"

Tinaaa- October 11, 2015

"Mersa- while squeezing very hard pressure on a mersa reddened bump/pimple, it excreted a green globule. Meaning a green glob poping out intact. This is why it is so resistant to our antibodies & pharmaceutical antibiotics. Why haven't we been told about these green globules, seemingly encased in their own outer skin?"

melon2132 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2015

"Never had any allergic reactions to medicine before but after starting this for an infection on my foot, over the course of 7 days, I had severe headaches (which I almost never get), fever, chills, body aches, insomnia, dry cough, loss of appetite, nausea. Was meant to take this for 3 more days but after calling my doctor they okayed me to stop. Been off it 12hrs and am already feeling better."

Zimleechy September 22, 2015

"Was prescribed this after getting a boil drained by my doctor. I have been taking this medicine for 4 days now and I have 6 more to go. Thus far I have experienced an upset stomach, diarrhea, chills, sweats, and insomnia. The boil has got smaller but there is still fluid in it. Hope it goes away soon!"

badboil September 20, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Not sure that the medication did much as my abscess burst the night I started the antibiotics. All I know is that by the 3rd and 4th day of antibiotics I was feeling generally unwell, had a headache and awful nausea."

Nickerz14 September 1, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have been having skin infections on my breasts off and on for 6 yrs. Ever since I developed mastitis when I was breastfeeding. I've been given Bactrim DS each time and advised to use Neosporin CREAM, not ointment. I'm not sure if it works all that great. It DOES take care of the red, rashy looking inflammation surrounding the "boil"/"blister", but does not seem to even really touch the actual blister itself. Without medication it will take 3 - 4 weeks or so to heal, with meds it it takes 2 weeks. I think it has alot to do with the healing of the red rash part... so I continue to take it. The only side effect I have noticed is an almost unquenchable thirst. But, no nausea, insomnia or headaches for me."

Nicole in Tx (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Great med, but it always makes my lip swell and crack.....but the furuncle was gone!"

Crystal divine June 17, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was diagnosed with a staph infection and prescribed bactrim DS. It has not had any effect on the infection after five days. In fact it has gotten worse. It makes me shake and I can't seem to think straight."

nhappy June 12, 2015

"Chills, sweats, fever, fatigue, loss of appetite"

kWAJT May 26, 2015

"I had to take this for a boil and it healed the boil and made it go down and kinda get a scab over it but the side effects are crazy you have diarrhea your head hurts all the time and I'm so tired all the time. I was prescribed the medicine for 7 days to take twice a day. Overall the medicine did its job but had side effects"

Dannyman (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I suddenly got a 5 angry red boils on my chin...and the next day another 10. I knew I better see a Doc quickly. My Doc prescribed Keflex 500mg, and said that in 3-4 days, it should start working. But the boils kept spreading to my upper lip and cheeks. So, I got in touch with the Doc. He promptly changed the med to Bactrim 800/160, twice daily. With the second pill, I felt that the battle with the bacteria had changed. No more new boils were forming, and existing ones started becoming black instead the fiery red. The black boils are hard and not painful to the touch. Now, it is only 2 days out of the 10 day dosage, but I feel I am on the way to recovery. I don't know what caused this infection but I switched out my old razor blade."

Yograj (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2015

"I was prescribed a 10 day course for cellulitis and after 5 days the infection cleared but I'm so nauseous, gassy and dizzy I had to stop. I feel so bad I'm borderline suicidal. It's an effective drug for sure but brutal on the GI tract. I pray this feeling goes away soon..."

Wd40oz May 17, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have used this medicine. For a stap bacterial infection. Normally 9 years ago it would work rapidly and in 10 days it would be completely gone. But it has come back several times through the years. Now with this last infection I'm having to take double the dose, every 12 hours and I notice it is been hard it to get rid of. I'm hoping I won't get this skin boil again because I'm afraid of the antibiotics are not working 100%. What other options are there to take? But the bactrim is been my saver, til now"

canada23 May 3, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I had an abscess that had been draining for about 6-days without end and finally went to the ER and had it lanced and packed. The ER doctor prescribed Bactrim DS. After two days I become dizzy and nauseous and pretty much bed ridden. Based on the reviews here and other sites I have discontinued using the drug. (10-day dosage) The abscess has stopped draining seems to be doing okay after taking the meds for 5-days. Also the ER doctor failed to notice that my HBP med conflicts with this med. (Lisinopril) Next time I will do more research. Normally, I do but I felt so miserable, I assumed they knew better."

Big J in Bama (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2015

"Got a yeast infection. I'm in a lot of pain. And to top it off. I had an extreme allergic reaction. "

enge April 24, 2015

"Ive been taking this medication for 5 days now. My reason for taking it was a skin graft. Though its early in the treatment,I am happy to report no noticable side effects. I will repost closer to the completion of treatment on results."

Irish eyes 43 March 30, 2015