User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 21 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Skin Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Bacterial Skin Infection

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have just recently got out a living environment with a bunch of roomates, I found a small pimple under my arm and thought nothing of it, after a week it was so swollen and hot to touch I went to the ER. The doctor didn't want to cut the "pimple" open but I begged him to because of the pain-and he was glad he did...the amount of bacteria that came out was astonishing! He put me on bactrim and even though I had some side effects it went away.....but then I got another abcess on my head about 2 months later....took bactrim it went away....then 2 months after that i got another abcess on my finger....took bactrim it when away.....now i once again have 3 abscesses under my armpit and am currently on bactrim again! 4 months later!"

Nikki62382 December 12, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was diagnosed with a MRSA Impetigo skin infection and was prescribed the Bactrim DS as well as Bactroban ointment, therefore I cannot know which helped the most, but it did work 95%. I stll have a pink area and the original cut that started this all is still slightly visible. This oral med made me feel horrible. Everyday, after the third day, I was nauseous about an hour after taking it and several times had to take Zofran 8mg which did help. My stomach was a roller coaster and the headaches were really bad. I have Daily Chronic Headache which is daily migraines. But I get C spine nerve ablations which allows me to be 90% migraine free for about 1 year. During the 10 days the migraines came back and with a vengence. Glad to be done."

Adopt_a_pet November 13, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was prescribed Bactrim for a skin infection and took one pill. Within less than an hour I was vomiting, shaking, sweating, and had severe diarrhea. I was literally unable to do anything but lay in bed with frequent bathroom trips for the next 24 hours. It was horrible. Never again."

Anonymous November 8, 2015

"Taking this for a spider bite.. Side effects bad.. Took last night and woke up with stomach cramping, gas and nausea. It continued on off all day and I had to take an anti-emetic twice.. The worst part is I didn't even take the full dose my doctor told me to take, only 1/2. Needless to say I won't be taking it anymore.. I only gave it three because it did help with the spider bite, but only a little.. It's not worth the side effects"

Spider victim (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2015

"Worst medicine ever. I'm not allergic to anything by the way. I was prescribed for a uti and had to stop after 5 days. Migraines, eyeballs throbbed, chest was in excruciating pain, neck pain, upper and lower back pain, stomach and ovary pin, and leg pain, especially in the knees, onto of of that, nausea, loss of appetite, dizziness, the immediate and random need to throw up, and worst of all...a red rash all over my body. To top that off, and loss of sex drive. I have never had an allergic reaction to a medicine before...I will never take this again. BEWARE!!!!"

Tinaaa- October 11, 2015

"Mersa- while squeezing very hard pressure on a mersa reddened bump/pimple, it excreted a green globule. Meaning a green glob poping out intact. This is why it is so resistant to our antibodies & pharmaceutical antibiotics. Why haven't we been told about these green globules, seemingly encased in their own outer skin?"

melon2132 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2015

"Never had any allergic reactions to medicine before but after starting this for an infection on my foot, over the course of 7 days, I had severe headaches (which I almost never get), fever, chills, body aches, insomnia, dry cough, loss of appetite, nausea. Was meant to take this for 3 more days but after calling my doctor they okayed me to stop. Been off it 12hrs and am already feeling better."

Zimleechy September 22, 2015

"Was prescribed this after getting a boil drained by my doctor. I have been taking this medicine for 4 days now and I have 6 more to go. Thus far I have experienced an upset stomach, diarrhea, chills, sweats, and insomnia. The boil has got smaller but there is still fluid in it. Hope it goes away soon!"

badboil September 20, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Not sure that the medication did much as my abscess burst the night I started the antibiotics. All I know is that by the 3rd and 4th day of antibiotics I was feeling generally unwell, had a headache and awful nausea."

Nickerz14 September 1, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have been having skin infections on my breasts off and on for 6 yrs. Ever since I developed mastitis when I was breastfeeding. I've been given Bactrim DS each time and advised to use Neosporin CREAM, not ointment. I'm not sure if it works all that great. It DOES take care of the red, rashy looking inflammation surrounding the "boil"/"blister", but does not seem to even really touch the actual blister itself. Without medication it will take 3 - 4 weeks or so to heal, with meds it it takes 2 weeks. I think it has alot to do with the healing of the red rash part... so I continue to take it. The only side effect I have noticed is an almost unquenchable thirst. But, no nausea, insomnia or headaches for me."

Nicole in Tx (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Great med, but it always makes my lip swell and crack.....but the furuncle was gone!"

Crystal divine June 17, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was diagnosed with a staph infection and prescribed bactrim DS. It has not had any effect on the infection after five days. In fact it has gotten worse. It makes me shake and I can't seem to think straight."

nhappy June 12, 2015

"Chills, sweats, fever, fatigue, loss of appetite"

kWAJT May 26, 2015

"I had to take this for a boil and it healed the boil and made it go down and kinda get a scab over it but the side effects are crazy you have diarrhea your head hurts all the time and I'm so tired all the time. I was prescribed the medicine for 7 days to take twice a day. Overall the medicine did its job but had side effects"

Dannyman (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I suddenly got a 5 angry red boils on my chin...and the next day another 10. I knew I better see a Doc quickly. My Doc prescribed Keflex 500mg, and said that in 3-4 days, it should start working. But the boils kept spreading to my upper lip and cheeks. So, I got in touch with the Doc. He promptly changed the med to Bactrim 800/160, twice daily. With the second pill, I felt that the battle with the bacteria had changed. No more new boils were forming, and existing ones started becoming black instead the fiery red. The black boils are hard and not painful to the touch. Now, it is only 2 days out of the 10 day dosage, but I feel I am on the way to recovery. I don't know what caused this infection but I switched out my old razor blade."

Yograj (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2015

"I was prescribed a 10 day course for cellulitis and after 5 days the infection cleared but I'm so nauseous, gassy and dizzy I had to stop. I feel so bad I'm borderline suicidal. It's an effective drug for sure but brutal on the GI tract. I pray this feeling goes away soon..."

Wd40oz May 17, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have used this medicine. For a stap bacterial infection. Normally 9 years ago it would work rapidly and in 10 days it would be completely gone. But it has come back several times through the years. Now with this last infection I'm having to take double the dose, every 12 hours and I notice it is been hard it to get rid of. I'm hoping I won't get this skin boil again because I'm afraid of the antibiotics are not working 100%. What other options are there to take? But the bactrim is been my saver, til now"

canada23 May 3, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I had an abscess that had been draining for about 6-days without end and finally went to the ER and had it lanced and packed. The ER doctor prescribed Bactrim DS. After two days I become dizzy and nauseous and pretty much bed ridden. Based on the reviews here and other sites I have discontinued using the drug. (10-day dosage) The abscess has stopped draining seems to be doing okay after taking the meds for 5-days. Also the ER doctor failed to notice that my HBP med conflicts with this med. (Lisinopril) Next time I will do more research. Normally, I do but I felt so miserable, I assumed they knew better."

Big J in Bama (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2015

"Got a yeast infection. I'm in a lot of pain. And to top it off. I had an extreme allergic reaction. "

enge April 24, 2015

"Ive been taking this medication for 5 days now. My reason for taking it was a skin graft. Though its early in the treatment,I am happy to report no noticable side effects. I will repost closer to the completion of treatment on results."

Irish eyes 43 March 30, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have a large swollen infection believed to be staph infection. This medicine is working well but day 2 I am so nauseous even after taking Zofran 8mg I can not bare the thought of swallowing it or anything else. I've taken this before and did not get this effect. I have many other health issues at the time but I was shocked I reacted this way."

daisy's mom February 9, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was prescribed Bactrim DS for a Paronychia infection on my right index finger. There was no apparent abscess so the doctor felt a script of Bacrtim DS would do the job. After taking the first pill I began to fill dizzy and nauseous. Over the next few days I had barely any appetite and wanted to sleep all day. I felt like I could not get enough sleep. I was also extremely sensitive to the sunlight which only enhanced my desire to sleep more. Over all the infection did not appear to change in the 3 1/2 days on the antibiotic but that is not to say it did not work. I just was not able to function on it therefore I called my doctor for something else."

GloryGirl2005 (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was put on this medicine for a skin infection. I was reluctant to start it because of all the horror stories in the Internet. It does make me nauseous and it gives me a slight headache. Advil and Benadryl help with those side effects. I'm on the fourth day and my infection is nearly cleared. I was also given a Bactroban skin cream and that stuff is great. A pleasant side effect has been my skin clearing. I had perfect skin up until I hit 25 and then suddenly I had cystic acne on one side of my face. I was reluctant to take anything because it wasn't that bad, but the Bactrim has pretty much cleared it up."

khoffpauir (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2014

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I took Bactrim for a while now for bacteria of the hair follicles and it has helped a lot plus using dial soap. But every time I get boils it heals them. I don't have any side effects to the medicine. Every time I get this infection I have to take Bactrim because I can't take penicillin."

LaCole October 7, 2014

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Contacted MRSA and received Bactrim for 14 days and cleared. Three years later contacted cellulitus from a wound not taken care of by me. Bactrim took care of it. Dangerous conditions cured with Bactrim."

Hilgy September 16, 2014

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next