User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Skin Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Bacterial Skin Infection

Review by Cass0285:

The medicine seems to be working, but I feel gassy, feel sick, have back pains and loss of appetite. Had a headache for a couple of days but that went away. 5 more days until I'm done and I can't wait!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2014 12:41 PM

Review by Your Nickname (taken for less than 1 month):

Took it for 10 days for a bacterial infection on my thumb. I had to fart a lot, but no other reactions.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2014 10:26 AM

Review by ChelleeBelly:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): If you're ever on antibiotics, it's best to take a probiotic to help with stomach upset. However, I read you should take them as far away from your dose of antibiotic as possible. So, if you have to take it twice a day: take the Bactrim at breakfast and dinner. Then take the probiotics directly between at around lunch time. Taking any antibiotics with food also helps. Certain antibiotics have different food instructions so ask your pharmacist. I'm currently on Bactrim for a urinary tract infection, but I also have an infected hair that's been causing me a lot of pain in my groin so I'm hoping this will help there as well.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 15, 2014 8:37 AM

Review by BL florida (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I was first prescribed Augmentin for an infection from a puncture wound near the nail bed of my thumb. It made me feel like I was suffering from morning sickness and did not work. Next I got Flagyl and Bactrim. The culture showed the Staph was sensitive to Bactrim and the wound is SO much better! Yes, there are some side effects (for me, insomnia but I don't know if that is Flagyl or Bactrim) but it is so much better than losing my finger! I also took Florastor with the medication to reduce intestinal upset and experienced none.

April 4, 2014 6:53 PM

Review by Mariaaaaaaaa:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): Developed a skin rash all over my body, headache, stomach discomfort, neck stiffness, itchiness, anxiety. The majority of the symptoms pretty much.

January 24, 2014 12:49 PM

Review by Onewahine (taken for less than 1 month):

I was prescribed sulfameth for a gross bacterial infection (jacuzzi rash). While on it I experienced headaches, foul gas, loss of appetite, constant thirst, extreme fatigue, dizziness, spotting, diarrhea (should have kept up with my probiotics). On the eighth day I had itchy hives ALL over my body, severe lower back pain, neck & shoulder pain & stiffness. Dr. said to stop medicine & consider myself allergic to sulfa drugs. My original rash had cleared up but so did my two children who didn't have any antibiotics. For me, obviously not worth the side effects.

November 9, 2013 8:15 PM

Review by Lirpa13:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): Can't live without having this in by medicine cabinet. At the onset of a suspected boil I take this and problem solved! I have been taking this for many years. Before Bactrim I had boil after boil, scars, and embarrassment. Miracle drug for boils, who cares about minor side effects!!!

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2013 3:51 PM

Review by CirlyGirly96 (taken for less than 1 month):

Taken with Cefadroxil twice a day for ten days. Got rid of the visible signs of the infection within one day. I experienced slight loss of appetite but other than that, I didn't experience any side effects. However, on the last day of taking this medicine I broke out in a rash all over my face, neck, arms and chest. I'm hoping that it will go away because now I'm done with the medicine.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2013 6:18 AM

Review by jolly joe:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I've had a few skin infections and cellulitis. Bactrim cleared it, visible within 24hrs.

August 24, 2013 5:15 PM

Review by FDA s:

Very bad side effects. Dizzy, sore, loss of appetite, headache. Infection is clearing up slowly on 5th day.

April 22, 2013 9:36 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I started off with a cut near my mouth that got infected with Staph which then spread to my mouth and throat. I could not eat for a week because of the terrible sores in my mouth. I was prescribed Cefidinr and after being on that for 3 days had no improvement, but as soon as they put me on Bactrim it started clearing up within hours!

February 24, 2013 12:50 PM

Review by Texan and cripple:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): If you are prescribed Bactrim, take a probiotic with each pill and the side effects usually go away. Probiotics are over the counter. Before I could not take Bactrim or Keflex. Now no problem. I am on Bactrim for boils and taking the probiotic.

January 20, 2013 9:02 AM

Review by Mason mcdonald:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): Cellulitis or staph infection on index finger. Went to doc he prescribed this. It's making the infection (large boil) go down and kind of scab over. Having bad heartburn though, and having headaches.

January 14, 2013 5:34 PM

Review by jbird1811:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): Taking Bactrim for spider bite on breast - working.

January 6, 2013 8:07 PM

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): From the second dose of the medicine, I started having terrible heartburn, stomach burning and nausea. The side effects out-weighed any benefits for me.

July 13, 2012 10:11 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I was prescribed Bactrim for a bacterial skin infection under my arm. I get infections easily and am often on all kinds of antibiotics. Many bother me, but I have not had any problems at all while on Bactrim. And the skin infection has been clearing up very well (I'm almost done with the medication.) I'm very happy with this medication.

July 7, 2012 1:27 AM

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): Medicine cleared up skin problem but I have been tired, dizzy, nauseous, and have had stomach distress the whole time. Today was so bad I went to the emergency room just to be sure there was nothing else wrong with me.

July 3, 2012 9:11 PM

I took it for 1 week with no side effects, then on day 7 I woke up with a rash that started with one pimple and developed into many more on my arms and legs. Also, day 6 started with swollen lymph nodes behind my ears. I only have one more pill to take, but not sure if I should finish it! I also was taking Notrel 777, but doctor said it shouldn't be a problem.

April 23, 2012 6:49 AM

Review by Earthlyangel:

Co-trimoxazole (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): It leaves you dehydrated, it increases your appetite, you feel a slight dizziness.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2012 8:56 PM

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I am currently taking this medicine. I should be finishing it in two days have to take it twice for ten days. The whole time I've had migraines. And just recently I got a rash because I forgot to take it once yesterday. I've never been allergic to anything but I hope this rash goes away.

March 25, 2012 11:56 AM

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I stepped on a rusty nail and had alot of pain and foot started to swell. I started taking Bactrim and the pain went away within the first two pills which was 24 hrs. The only problem is that I can't function with the nausea, dizziness, loss of appetite, headache. I think its because of sensitive stomach.

February 17, 2012 12:20 PM

Review by Lady Vicky:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I went to the hospital last night because there was a boil under my armpit. Last month I had one on my buttock. They tested me for diabetes, I'm not a diabetic. I don't know why I keep getting boils. They couldn't drain it because fluid hasn't formed yet, so they gave me Bactrim. I have to take 2 pills every 12 hrs. They are huge. And hopefully they work well for me like they did for most of you!

September 30, 2011 4:41 PM

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): Prescribed Bactrim for boils on abdomen/legs. I was only able to take it for 3 days, due to the adverse reaction. The boils are much better (and I hope they don't come back), but the back pain, abdominal pain, nausea and diarrhea were enough to make me stop taking it. Plus, I'm not sure if this is a medicine of choice for anyone with ulcerative colitis, but now I'm having a huge flare of that!

September 28, 2011 6:56 PM

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): Awful nausea and headaches that last all day! I'd rather have those side effects then suffer from MRSA but it has still been rough to deal with as I'm trying to go back to work.

September 7, 2011 2:02 AM

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): I cut my finger on a piece of metal under the seat of my car and developed a skin infection. Had the infection drained, but was also prescribed Bactrim twice a day for 10 days. After 2 days I saw my finger start healing up and within the 10 days it was completely healed. I only experienced mild nausea and some insomnia. Other than that it did a great job! Very satisfied.

August 9, 2011 7:44 AM