User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Review Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Skin Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Bacterial Skin Infection

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Great med, but it always makes my lip swell and crack.....but the furuncle was gone!"

Crystal divine June 17, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was diagnosed with a staph infection and prescribed bactrim DS. It has not had any effect on the infection after five days. In fact it has gotten worse. It makes me shake and I can't seem to think straight."

nhappy June 12, 2015

"Chills, sweats, fever, fatigue, loss of appetite"

kWAJT May 26, 2015

"I had to take this for a boil and it healed the boil and made it go down and kinda get a scab over it but the side effects are crazy you have diarrhea your head hurts all the time and I'm so tired all the time. I was prescribed the medicine for 7 days to take twice a day. Overall the medicine did its job but had side effects"

Dannyman (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I suddenly got a 5 angry red boils on my chin...and the next day another 10. I knew I better see a Doc quickly. My Doc prescribed Keflex 500mg, and said that in 3-4 days, it should start working. But the boils kept spreading to my upper lip and cheeks. So, I got in touch with the Doc. He promptly changed the med to Bactrim 800/160, twice daily. With the second pill, I felt that the battle with the bacteria had changed. No more new boils were forming, and existing ones started becoming black instead the fiery red. The black boils are hard and not painful to the touch. Now, it is only 2 days out of the 10 day dosage, but I feel I am on the way to recovery. I don't know what caused this infection but I switched out my old razor blade."

Yograj (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2015

"I was prescribed a 10 day course for cellulitis and after 5 days the infection cleared but I'm so nauseous, gassy and dizzy I had to stop. I feel so bad I'm borderline suicidal. It's an effective drug for sure but brutal on the GI tract. I pray this feeling goes away soon..."

Wd40oz May 17, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have used this medicine. For a stap bacterial infection. Normally 9 years ago it would work rapidly and in 10 days it would be completely gone. But it has come back several times through the years. Now with this last infection I'm having to take double the dose, every 12 hours and I notice it is been hard it to get rid of. I'm hoping I won't get this skin boil again because I'm afraid of the antibiotics are not working 100%. What other options are there to take? But the bactrim is been my saver, til now"

canada23 May 3, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I had an abscess that had been draining for about 6-days without end and finally went to the ER and had it lanced and packed. The ER doctor prescribed Bactrim DS. After two days I become dizzy and nauseous and pretty much bed ridden. Based on the reviews here and other sites I have discontinued using the drug. (10-day dosage) The abscess has stopped draining seems to be doing okay after taking the meds for 5-days. Also the ER doctor failed to notice that my HBP med conflicts with this med. (Lisinopril) Next time I will do more research. Normally, I do but I felt so miserable, I assumed they knew better."

Big J in Bama (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2015

"Got a yeast infection. I'm in a lot of pain. And to top it off. I had an extreme allergic reaction. "

enge April 24, 2015

"Ive been taking this medication for 5 days now. My reason for taking it was a skin graft. Though its early in the treatment,I am happy to report no noticable side effects. I will repost closer to the completion of treatment on results."

Irish eyes 43 March 30, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have a large swollen infection believed to be staph infection. This medicine is working well but day 2 I am so nauseous even after taking Zofran 8mg I can not bare the thought of swallowing it or anything else. I've taken this before and did not get this effect. I have many other health issues at the time but I was shocked I reacted this way."

daisy's mom February 9, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was prescribed Bactrim DS for a Paronychia infection on my right index finger. There was no apparent abscess so the doctor felt a script of Bacrtim DS would do the job. After taking the first pill I began to fill dizzy and nauseous. Over the next few days I had barely any appetite and wanted to sleep all day. I felt like I could not get enough sleep. I was also extremely sensitive to the sunlight which only enhanced my desire to sleep more. Over all the infection did not appear to change in the 3 1/2 days on the antibiotic but that is not to say it did not work. I just was not able to function on it therefore I called my doctor for something else."

GloryGirl2005 (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was put on this medicine for a skin infection. I was reluctant to start it because of all the horror stories in the Internet. It does make me nauseous and it gives me a slight headache. Advil and Benadryl help with those side effects. I'm on the fourth day and my infection is nearly cleared. I was also given a Bactroban skin cream and that stuff is great. A pleasant side effect has been my skin clearing. I had perfect skin up until I hit 25 and then suddenly I had cystic acne on one side of my face. I was reluctant to take anything because it wasn't that bad, but the Bactrim has pretty much cleared it up."

khoffpauir (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2014

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I took Bactrim for a while now for bacteria of the hair follicles and it has helped a lot plus using dial soap. But every time I get boils it heals them. I don't have any side effects to the medicine. Every time I get this infection I have to take Bactrim because I can't take penicillin."

LaCole October 7, 2014

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Contacted MRSA and received Bactrim for 14 days and cleared. Three years later contacted cellulitus from a wound not taken care of by me. Bactrim took care of it. Dangerous conditions cured with Bactrim."

Hilgy September 16, 2014

"The medicine seems to be working, but I feel gassy, feel sick, have back pains and loss of appetite. Had a headache for a couple of days but that went away. 5 more days until I'm done and I can't wait!"

Cass0285 August 17, 2014

"Took it for 10 days for a bacterial infection on my thumb. I had to fart a lot, but no other reactions. "

Your Nickname (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2014

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "If you're ever on antibiotics, it's best to take a probiotic to help with stomach upset. However, I read you should take them as far away from your dose of antibiotic as possible. So, if you have to take it twice a day: take the Bactrim at breakfast and dinner. Then take the probiotics directly between at around lunch time. Taking any antibiotics with food also helps. Certain antibiotics have different food instructions so ask your pharmacist. I'm currently on Bactrim for a urinary tract infection, but I also have an infected hair that's been causing me a lot of pain in my groin so I'm hoping this will help there as well."

ChelleeBelly June 15, 2014

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was first prescribed Augmentin for an infection from a puncture wound near the nail bed of my thumb. It made me feel like I was suffering from morning sickness and did not work. Next I got Flagyl and Bactrim. The culture showed the Staph was sensitive to Bactrim and the wound is SO much better! Yes, there are some side effects (for me, insomnia but I don't know if that is Flagyl or Bactrim) but it is so much better than losing my finger! I also took Florastor with the medication to reduce intestinal upset and experienced none."

BL florida (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2014

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Developed a skin rash all over my body, headache, stomach discomfort, neck stiffness, itchiness, anxiety. The majority of the symptoms pretty much."

Mariaaaaaaaa January 24, 2014

"I was prescribed sulfameth for a gross bacterial infection (jacuzzi rash). While on it I experienced headaches, foul gas, loss of appetite, constant thirst, extreme fatigue, dizziness, spotting, diarrhea (should have kept up with my probiotics). On the eighth day I had itchy hives ALL over my body, severe lower back pain, neck & shoulder pain & stiffness. Dr. said to stop medicine & consider myself allergic to sulfa drugs. My original rash had cleared up but so did my two children who didn't have any antibiotics. For me, obviously not worth the side effects."

Onewahine (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2013

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Can't live without having this in by medicine cabinet. At the onset of a suspected boil I take this and problem solved! I have been taking this for many years. Before Bactrim I had boil after boil, scars, and embarrassment. Miracle drug for boils, who cares about minor side effects!!!"

Lirpa13 October 30, 2013

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Taken with Cefadroxil twice a day for ten days. Got rid of the visible signs of the infection within one day. I experienced slight loss of appetite but other than that, I didn't experience any side effects. However, on the last day of taking this medicine I broke out in a rash all over my face, neck, arms and chest. I'm hoping that it will go away because now I'm done with the medicine."

CirlyGirly96 (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2013

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I've had a few skin infections and cellulitis. Bactrim cleared it, visible within 24hrs."

jolly joe August 24, 2013

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Very bad side effects. Dizzy, sore, loss of appetite, headache. Infection is clearing up slowly on 5th day."

FDA s April 22, 2013